PDA

View Full Version : Canon characters

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:40:35 AM
would there be any interest in writing some Marvel or DC threads, as actual canon characters?

Miranda Tarkin
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:43:50 PM
Emma Frost or Batwoman :ohno

Captain Untouchable
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:25:44 PM
What sort of context are you thinking? Something vaguely along what's already established, or something that lets us and give them our own unique twist - giving DC and Marvel the Fans version of the Batman Begins treatment?

Or maybe one of those crazy, whacked-out multiverse parallel world things, where it's the same year, and you're the same person, but everything else is different? :ohno

I'd totally love to play Iron Man, Colossus, or Green Arrow.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:27:16 PM
giving DC and Marvel the Fans version of the Batman Begins treatment?

Probably this. Preserving the characters core, but putting a twist on it to make it our own.

Rossos Atrapes
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:19:34 PM
Sounds interesting!

Dragon
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:27:32 PM
I may want to contribute my established mutant characters, but I don't think I know enough about the canon characters to make a legitimate try at it.

I think I'll sit by and let those with more nerd cred than I set the stage first. :)

Drin Kizael
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:12:18 AM
Maaaaaaaaayyybe. I'd have to get around the same problems that have been keeping me from writing this character, but I know a few odd tidbits about a comic book character or two that might make for some passable RP.

Captain Untouchable
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:15:19 PM
Given that we have Mutants Unite already, it might be best to avoid the Marvel Universe, just so we don't supercede MU and put people off from writing. We've already had the opportunity to explore mutants and some of the Marvel dynamics; doing DC might be a fun change.

My only concern about DC is Superman. He's quite integral, massively powerful, and probably would be the most difficult for anyone to play, both fairly and well.

It might be interesting to cut him out somehow (I'm sure we could cook up all manner of explanations for why he isn't there). One could argue that Superman is the inspiration for the brightly coloured costumed superhero, and is the one who inspired many other heroes to do the same. He's also the one who convinced the public that superheroes were good guys. Without him, heroes could well be vigilantes who live in the shadows, and certain people - Lex Luthor being the default example - could influence public opinion to percieve them in a negative light, raising the whole "one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist" idea.

Maybe the world we're in is a bit of a shambles without Superman - like the Batman Begins version of Gotham - and it isn't until an alternative hero comes along that the vigilantes start getting inspired to become genuine heroes? It might be interesting if Wonder Woman emerged from Themescira at an opportune moment, and she becomes the one who stands for truth, justice, and what not: she's an awesome character, but is less indestructable than Superman, and so would be a good one to inspire some cooperation, teamwork, and Leaguiness.

Just a thought, at any rate. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:40:28 AM
Cool idea :)

I figure the story here mostly depends on who people would be interested in writing.

Captain Untouchable
Oct 4th, 2010, 02:25:10 AM
If it's DC, I'd be partial to Hawkman. Been doing a lot of reading around that character lately, and I think I could put a fun new twist on him. Green Arrow would be my cup of tea too - I'm a big fan of the superheroes who don't necessarily have superpowers.

Edit:

And/or possibly Doctor Fate. That could be cool. :ohno

Drin Kizael
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:15:12 AM
I could play Superman... but a world without Superman could be an interesting catalyst for an Elseworlds launch. Wonder Woman is the next most likely icon to get the spotlight.

Would that mean no Supergirl or Superboy? Maybe Power Girl really IS the daughter of an Atlantean mystic in this world. :o

If Jace played Hawkman, then I think I'd have to play Green Arrow because we argue so much already anyway. :lol

Back in the day of MUXs, I played Green Lantern a lot. He would actually be my first choice because his power is amazing fun to write. Granted it was Kyle at the time, but I could write an inexperienced Hal Jordan back when he still had a personality, too.

I figure the part of the villain would rotate with whoever was driving the thread. :duel

Acacius Blade
Nov 6th, 2010, 02:55:14 AM
I'd sooooo love to play Batman. He's my absolute fave superhero from DC. Mainly because he has no superpowers. That's why Iron man's my favourite Marvel superhero. They're just guys with money who want to help. They rely on their mortal abilities and gadgets/tech to get the job done.

Yeah - dibs on Batman.

Anybody wanna be my Joker nemesis!?

Captain Untouchable
Nov 7th, 2010, 03:34:59 PM
I'd sooooo love to play Batman. He's my absolute fave superhero from DC. Mainly because he has no superpowers. That's why Iron man's my favourite Marvel superhero. They're just guys with money who want to help. They rely on their mortal abilities and gadgets/tech to get the job done.

Yeah - dibs on Batman.

Agreement to the max. Same reason I'd wanna be Green Arrow. The heroes who rely purely on their brains and guts rather than powers and gimmicks just resonate better with me. I guess it seems more achievable?

I seem to remember some fun Batman / Green Arrow stuff going on at some point. Unless someone fancies playing Robin, might ye be up for a little powerless hero team-up action?

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 10th, 2010, 04:40:51 PM

Not me.. I'll try a spin on Poison Ivy though! :D

Acacius Blade
Nov 10th, 2010, 05:46:32 PM

Hehe. Whenever I think of Poison Ivy, I'm reminded of the scene in Arkham Asylum where she's in that cell begging to be set free. Any Gotham villains are welcome really.

Unless someone fancies playing Robin, might ye be up for a little powerless hero team-up action?

Sure!

Captain Untouchable
Nov 11th, 2010, 01:54:22 PM
Are we going with Gotham as a setting, then?

With the presence of Batman, and the absense of Superman, it's probably the most logical / versatile choice, imo.

Drin Kizael
Nov 14th, 2010, 02:04:52 PM
Gotham would be a good setting. And for those who might want to play a powered character, the JSA brownstone is in Gotham City, too.

Miranda Tarkin
Nov 14th, 2010, 06:41:21 PM
Dibs on Batwoman ;)

Emelie Shadowstar
Nov 14th, 2010, 08:56:55 PM

Can I be your Quinn sidekick/tag along/girl team? :ohno

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 15th, 2010, 02:00:20 AM
Hell yes :cool

Drin Kizael
Nov 15th, 2010, 11:55:32 AM
Well with this lineup, it sounds like some villain plot is prompting Oracle to rally the troops. I'll be Nightwing. :dance

And I've got a plot idea if we're serious about this. I think it'd be more fun to confab with the villains by PM rather than just spell it all out in the public thread, though. The short version is that it explains why all the heroes involved are sans-powers.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 15th, 2010, 12:16:55 PM
I need to shop-talk the Ivy/Quinn concept with Em - but fire us both a PM with your idea, Drin :D

Captain Untouchable
Nov 15th, 2010, 01:38:06 PM
Since the Bat family is fairly central to everything, it might be worth us hashing out an origin story. How did Batman start out? How did that spawn Nightwing and Batwoman? How does Green Arrow factor into the backstory? Or do the Fans versions of Nightwing and Batwoman have origin stories independent of Batman?

Also, if we've got a lot of Batman villains running around, do they have past histories with the Bat clan? We've got a Quinn... but did anyone call dibs on the Joker? Is the Joker still around, or did he die in some past encounter with Batman, etc?

Would it be worth everyone posting a paragraph or so on their particular take on the character, so we can all "Oooh", "Aaah", and bounce of each other's ideas a bit?

It'd be a shame to cook up a fantabulous plan, and then find that everything doesn't fit in. :)

Drin Kizael
Nov 15th, 2010, 03:33:21 PM
I think it's probably safe to assume that everything in Gotham is more or less as it is in the comics. History is something you can be pretty fast and loose with. Being a new universe will give a writer freedom to deviate if they aren't as into the comics history without worry of the continuity police, too.

Only guideline for the plot I just pitched to Jen, keep it to non-powered heroes. Green Arrow and the Bat-family works perfect. Any Gotham villain can fit in easily, too.

Someone might want to make a thread icon for this, too. :D

Captain Untouchable
Nov 15th, 2010, 03:56:08 PM
Why aren't we allowed powered heroes? Do they just not exist, or is there some reason they just aren't involved with this particular plot arc? What constitutes "non-powered" - does that rule out characters like Hawkman or the Flash, or are their powers "tame" enough to fit in?

I don't wanna feel like I have to be careful not to contradict or conflict with people's secret plans; and yet because have no idea what they are I have no way of knowing if I'm conflicting with them or not. :cyduck

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 15th, 2010, 03:59:46 PM
I wasn't planning on Ivy having any specific history with the Bat, aside from knowing that he is a caped crime-fighter... so whatever his origin is, whatever twist you guys put on your chars, me and Ivy will be learning about it together ;)

Harley is possibly the only exception, but I need to talk to Em about that.

No one has volunteered to play the Joker so far - and understandably so. Of all the characters, he is probably the most difficult to write well.

Anyhoo, off to read that PM now..

Why aren't we allowed powered heroes?

I don't mind if anyone wants to play a hero with powers. They just might fit in a little odd amongst the non-powered sorts.

Tell Cho
Nov 15th, 2010, 04:23:28 PM
I'll be a villain! Whomever the villain will be, I don't care much. Whomever's needed the most, I suppose.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 15th, 2010, 04:33:09 PM
You want to be working with Ivy and Harley, or seperate to them? It might be interesting to have conflict between the villains themselves :mischief

Captain Untouchable
Nov 15th, 2010, 05:07:09 PM
Would it help if we had a checklist somewhere of who wants to play who?

I've already lost track. ^_^;

Drin Kizael
Nov 15th, 2010, 05:09:39 PM
Why aren't we allowed powered heroes? Do they just not exist, or is there some reason they just aren't involved with this particular plot arc?
It was only that everyone seemed to be attracted to non-powered characters, that's all. You kept going back to Green Arrow, and that prompted a story idea.

Even if we go with a different story (which is actually sounding more likely now) Flash is still kinda "game-breaking" in terms of power if the majority of the group is in the Gotham league.

By non-powered, I meant simply no powers of their own. That qualifies Hawkman and a bunch of others, including Green Lantern now that I think of it, but it would be easy to just say that he is otherwise occupied when these RP events are going on.

I only suggested it as a plot device, though. If someone has their heart set on a character with powers, okay. It just sounded like a good theme to get things moving.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 15th, 2010, 06:18:00 PM
I'm sure it was a good theme, and a good idea. Unfortunately, only the people you PM'd know what that theme / idea is, so it's very difficult to say any more about it. ;)

I was merely enquiring for the purpose of understanding the kind of world that we're in. If there are superheroes with powers running about the place, that might work as a motivation for Queen to go all gadget to compensate for his lack of powers. If there aren't powered heroes around, that changes the dynamic, the character motivations, etc. :)

I'm not sure I agree about Flash being game breaking, though. He only has one ability: running really fast. Surely that's no more game-breaking than someone like Batman or Green Arrow having infinite financial resources and access to high-tech R&D facilities?

Drin Kizael
Nov 15th, 2010, 06:33:47 PM
Being able to run and react faster than the speed of light is game breaking in the hands of a proper writer. I recall one of the season finales of Justice League as a classic example. After an epic two-part battle with every powerhouse in the League on the field, Flash shows up out of nowhere and ends the whole thing. As it should be.

Flash is absolutely in the big leagues. When the power levels of the team are spread out across the spectrum, as in the Titans, then sure he isn't all that unbalancing. But when 3/4 of the rest of your crew is an acrobat detective, like most folks appear to be interested in here, the scale's a bit off.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 16th, 2010, 02:04:14 AM
So far we have had interest in Batman, Batwoman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn (correct me if I'm wrong here, or if I missed anyone out) so on the whole it seems like we want to try some Batman/Gotham stories.. but there is nothing to stop anyone writing some other DC character, and somehow making the character 'their own' / fit into the Gotham landscape.

At this point, we are still just shop-talking ideas, so nothing is set in stone - and by 'we' I mean everyone. Drin just PM'd me and Em the basic framework for a story, which powered or non-powered characters could easily take part in. Mainly, it was a pitch to see if I would be interesting in taking Poison Ivy down a specific route as a villain.

Tell Cho
Nov 16th, 2010, 11:00:45 PM
You want to be working with Ivy and Harley, or seperate to them? It might be interesting to have conflict between the villains themselves :mischief

Doesn't matter really. I think it could be interesting to have some conflict between the villains too. I've not read much DC or Marvel, so I am somewhat at a loss as to how to convincingly write one of the characters. Some background checking leads me toward Black Mask, though if anyone else has an idea for a good villain to fit into the storyline, just throw 'em out there. I'm not picky! :)

Captain Untouchable
Nov 18th, 2010, 01:49:17 PM
Peter and I have been spinning some interesting Batman / Green Arrow ideas. One of the ideas I'm personally toying with is having Oliver Queen as an employee of Wayne Enterprises, and having someone else as the CEO of Queen Industries... possibly a "taken public" Queen Industries, in a similar vein to the plots of Batman Begins and Iron Man.

A potentially interesting option for a villain who wasn't part of the "Ivy League" would be the head of Queen Industries. They could potentially be the Lex Luthor of Gotham: a kind of kingpin who is a nemesis for the Bat/Arrow clan when they're out of costume, as well as in.

There is of course the possibility of adapting a different villain to fill that role too - a reimagined Riddler running Queen Industries could be interesting... or even a "hero", but one who classically clashes with Green Arrow or Batman, so that we aren't having everything as clear-cut good vs evil?

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:16:48 PM
If Tell were to play Black Mask, he would probably fit well into that role.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:34:29 PM
That could certainly work. Wasn't the original Black Mask (Roman something) the head of the Gotham mafia at some point? He could potentially work as the DC/Gotham equivalent of the Kingpin, in a way.

Drin Kizael
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:56:31 PM
In this universe he could be. That's what he was in the last Batman animated movie.

Tell Cho
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:57:15 PM
If Tell were to play Black Mask, he would probably fit well into that role.

And what's that supposed to mean?! ;)

That could certainly work. Wasn't the original Black Mask (Roman something) the head of the Gotham mafia at some point? He could potentially work as the DC/Gotham equivalent of the Kingpin, in a way.

From what I've read, Black Mask (i.e. Roman Sionis) was a horrible businessman, but a good criminal overlord and organizer, which seems a bit at odds.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 18th, 2010, 05:39:15 PM
The beauty of this plan of course is that you can get away with ignoring a lot of the existing character stuff, and just calling it "reinventing" them. ;)

Would anyone be interested in playing either Deathstroke, Deadshot, or an alternative shooting or object throwing DC villain? I had an idea for my Green Arrow backstory, and while I'll happily play one or the other myself, it's always more fun having other people to bounce off.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 24th, 2010, 12:42:46 PM
Is anyone up for getting started on this, or are people still scheming? I'm majorly hyped about the ideas Peter and I have been cooking up, and I'm hoping this'll get my creative juices flowing again, so I can get the momentum up for December. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 24th, 2010, 01:00:27 PM
I still haven't had a chance to scheme with Sarah, what with Nanowrimo and all. I'll try and fire her a PM tonight >D

Captain Untouchable
Nov 24th, 2010, 05:54:17 PM
Booyah!

Guess who just talked Liz into playing Black Canary. :smokin

Oliver Queen
Nov 24th, 2010, 06:58:10 PM
Someone told me there would be women. Hot women.

In spandex. :mischief

Where the ladies at?

Miranda Tarkin
Nov 25th, 2010, 11:08:49 AM
Hmm... I have to find an appropriate red head.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 25th, 2010, 11:39:15 AM
^ Likewise!

Emelie Shadowstar
Nov 25th, 2010, 11:51:45 AM
:ohno ...I am sorely tempted to use Kristen Bell. But some part of me wants to see if I can find some other suitably quirky blond girl.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 25th, 2010, 12:27:14 PM
Doooo ittttt >D

Captain Untouchable
Nov 25th, 2010, 12:39:02 PM
Doooo ittttt >D

The internet agrees (http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/38673/932349-3064205186_09a2152b79_super.jpg).

Though it did try to distract me with pictures of Billie Piper in her underwear... :ohno

Oliver Queen
Nov 25th, 2010, 01:53:32 PM
Carried away? Moi (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21533)? ^_^;

It's closed, but if it makes sense for your character to be at the fundraiser they're more than welcome - just didn't want it to get all carried away and sprawling, since open threads can get kinda messy and confusing like that sometimes.

If you wanna be there, just say... and we'll do a posting order. Or something. :ohno

Pamela Isley
Nov 25th, 2010, 02:14:47 PM
Have fun, boys ;)

While you can.

Oliver Queen
Nov 25th, 2010, 02:21:18 PM
Poison Ivy, huh? Does that mean you're gonna give me weird blotches and bumps on my crotch, too? :mischief

I mean, uh... not that I've ever...

:uhoh

Carter Hall
Nov 25th, 2010, 04:17:39 PM
Goddamn kids, with your costumes and your antics. You'd never have caught us up to that kind of crap back in my day.

*scowl*

:colbert

Pamela Isley
Nov 25th, 2010, 04:20:38 PM
A little birdie told me otherwise, Carter.

Carter Hall
Nov 25th, 2010, 04:45:44 PM
'little'?

:colbert

Emelie Shadowstar
Nov 26th, 2010, 07:30:06 AM
Quickie question for everyone since it's a rather big question and I wanted opinions before I just ran with it.

Does anyone care if in our little DC universe the Joker has recently "died" in one of his little tangos with Batman?
Now... whether he's actually dead or not is anyone's guess (*cough* Greatest trick the devil ever pulled and all that...)

:ohno I figure it fixes anyone having to NPC him at any point, gives a reason as to why he's not around, etc..

It came up in my brain's tossing about ideas last night... figured I'd throw it out there.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 26th, 2010, 09:05:20 AM
I totally agree with that idea, Em. *nod*

Like you say, it saves anyone having to NPC him... but it also gives us the advantage of having a "power vacuum" that can draw in some of the other, smaller villains, and give them the opportunity to shine, a legacy to live up to, etc.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 26th, 2010, 09:32:49 AM
Sounds good to me.

Harleen Quinzel
Nov 26th, 2010, 07:03:19 PM
Look at me! I did something forum related today. Whooo!

:mneh

William Glenmorgan
Nov 27th, 2010, 05:27:53 AM
Just in the interests of making it easy to find - here you go (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21541), Vince old boy!

Oliver Queen
Nov 27th, 2010, 05:29:15 AM
A little birdie told me otherwise, Carter.

Look at me! I did something forum related today. Whooo!

Damn it, universe. Why are supervillains always so damned hot?

:(

Miranda Tarkin
Nov 28th, 2010, 07:51:48 AM
I am still having problems finding a suitable redhead picture lass that I like :)

Oliver Queen
Nov 28th, 2010, 08:39:35 AM
I am still having problems finding a suitable redhead picture lass that I like :)

What about Cheryl Cole? She's normally a brunette, but her hair is sorta red at the moment.

Are you looking for someone classy / ellegant, or someone a bit more fiery and formidable?

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 28th, 2010, 09:13:11 AM
What kind of age range are you looking at?

Miranda Tarkin
Nov 28th, 2010, 03:55:04 PM
Fiery and formidable, a between middle-late 20's

Oliver Queen
Nov 28th, 2010, 05:00:05 PM
Hmm. That's a tough age category. Danneel Harris is the first that springs to mind, and is the only one I can think of that actually is in that bracket. Some others that might be able to pass for it though -

Isla Fisher could work, though you might struggle to find a photo where she isn't smiling. There's Lindsay Monroe from CSI New York, but she might be a bit too "sweet". Bryce Dallas Howard might work, as might Angie Everhart, Rachelle Lefevre, Rachel Nichols, or Laura Prepon. Rachel Clare Hurd-Wood (Hugh Laurie's niece) is only just coming up to twenty, so might be a bit young. And while Melinda Clarke is older than you're looking for, she is one classy and sexy lady, and doesn't seem to have aged in the last decade or so. I suspect vampirism.

Oh, and because one or other of Jenny and I were bound to suggest her at some point, there's also Karen Gillan.

Edit:

Is it me, or does rattling off a list of attractive women with this avatar make me seem kinda sleazy?

Acacius Blade
Nov 29th, 2010, 09:00:01 AM
Christina Hendricks! Christina Hendricks! Christina Hendricks!

Anything else is the wrong answer. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 29th, 2010, 09:32:15 AM
I already claimed her for Poison Ivy :mneh

Miranda Tarkin
Nov 29th, 2010, 12:49:58 PM
None of those are singing to me :shakefist

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 29th, 2010, 01:02:02 PM
Julianne Moore, Gillian Anderson? :mneh

Grace Van-Derveld
Nov 29th, 2010, 01:19:26 PM
:\

Maybe Moore would work

Tear
Nov 29th, 2010, 01:31:51 PM
Saddens me that one of the hottest red heads ever hasn't been mentioned yet: Deborah Ann Woll (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2832695/) :love

Grace Van-Derveld
Nov 29th, 2010, 01:39:01 PM
doesn't work for Batwoman tho :p

Oliver Queen
Nov 29th, 2010, 01:44:57 PM
None of those are singing to me :shakefist

You didn't mention signing as well! :shakefist

Jeez. Next you'll want dancing, too. Women are so damn hard to please. :grumble

Kate Kane
Nov 29th, 2010, 01:50:19 PM
Courtesy of Jen, voila. Dani is happy XD

Oliver Queen
Nov 29th, 2010, 05:26:11 PM
You've no doubt already noticed, but I've consolodated the research I've been doing into Gotham (plus the discussions I've been having with everyone I've managed to grab online thus far!) into a thread (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21551). I hope it is in some way helpful. :)

If anything needs adding / ammending, let me know.

Drin Kizael
Nov 29th, 2010, 07:55:58 PM
Looks like there are a number of heroes already, so you could use another villain. Less of a mastermind type like two of the three you got now, more of a front lines kinda guy.

Okay so Bruce has been Batman for "several years" now. Cool. That's long enough.

Bruce Wayne
Nov 29th, 2010, 09:02:00 PM
I already claimed her for Poison Ivy :mneh

In that case - I wanna get bitten. Lots :love

Oh, and for fun:

http://geeksofdoom.com/2006/11/21/15-richest-fictional-characters/

As long as Darkwing Duck doesn't show up in Gotham, I'm safely king of the money hill :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2010, 09:09:13 PM
Is there room for a plucky blogger or reporter? I'm sort of interested in this, despite my best efforts, and now that I've failed spectacularly at Nano I have time.

Jason Todd
Nov 29th, 2010, 10:35:36 PM
I took the liberty of creating two characters for the DCU threads for a couple reasons. The biggest is so that I have more chances to be in a thread and write something. But I made my choices with the intent of staying fair to anyone who might still want to join in.

One of the characters isn't really a headliner in everyone's eyes, but he's popular enough that someone might want him. I called dibs on him.

The other is obscure enough that I took an educated gamble that no one would want to play him anyway. Based on the villains taken I thought you might benefit from a "front lines" kind of villain, the kind of guy that Black Mask would hire so he doesn't get his hands dirty. Earlier Cap suggested Deathstroke or Deadshot. Instead I offer this guy.

The other reason is because the two characters ultimately end up going together in a sense. Since folks seem so interested in changing around everyone's origins to create a true Elseworlds, that's what I'm doing. With the change I'm making to Dick Grayson, too, Batman can stay young like the Christian Bale avatar. ;)

PS: Are we gonna get a thread icon?

Oliver Queen
Nov 30th, 2010, 01:20:37 AM
Okay so Bruce has been Batman for "several years" now. Cool. That's long enough.

That sounds ominous. Long enough for what? :ohno

Is there room for a plucky blogger or reporter? I'm sort of interested in this, despite my best efforts, and now that I've failed spectacularly at Nano I have time.

Of course! :)

Dinah Hall (aka Dinah Lance, ultimately Black Canary) is going to be a reporter for the Gotham Gazette, so if you want a fellow reporter to bounce off, working for the Gazette too might be a good call. Alternatively, there's been some brief trash-talking of the more tabloid Gazettle Globe, if you want to work for the Quibbler to the Gazette's Daily Prophet. There are no doubt many more newspapers in the city (and the world, if you want to be the Gotham Correspondent) ripe for you to create and use of course, and the blog option works too. :)

Have you thought about a particular character that might work, or are you probing for suggestions? The first thing that popped into my mind: it might be interesting to play Barbara Gordon (the Commissioner's daughter; later Batman and Oracle, hypothetically) as a bit of a Chloe Sullivan / Veronica Mars type budding journalist / blogger person?

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 30th, 2010, 03:53:20 AM
I was thinking someone original, actually, as I'm not very familiar with the DC canon characters other than the fact that most of them have lousy names. ;) But yes, like a budding journalist/blogger person. I don't know who Chloe Sullivan is and I haven't seen Veronica Mars but I think I know what you mean. :)

edit: but I could take a crack at Barbara Gordon!

Pamela Isley
Nov 30th, 2010, 04:09:29 AM
We're coming to get you, Barbara

:D

Barbara Nolan
Nov 30th, 2010, 04:22:06 AM
Oh dear. ^_^;

I'm doing some reading up on her, but its probably a good thing we're doing 'our own spin' on the characters, as my info is basically she's a librarian and the daughter of Gary Oldman, which is awesome. ;)

Jonathan Crane
Nov 30th, 2010, 09:38:36 AM
Perhaps you'd like to interview me for your... blog, Miss Gordon.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 30th, 2010, 01:35:18 PM
Oh dear. ^_^;

I'm doing some reading up on her, but its probably a good thing we're doing 'our own spin' on the characters, as my info is basically she's a librarian and the daughter of Gary Oldman, which is awesome. ;)

Chloe Sullivan is a character from Smallville who has a lot of similarities with Barbara Gordon, in many respects. :)

Based on what I've read, she's an adopted daughter. I know Peter and I were talking about borrowing heavily from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in terms of Batman's origin story, so the adopted card would certainly explain why she didn't appear thus far.

Seems like almost everyone we're playing has dead parents. :(

Barbara Nolan
Nov 30th, 2010, 02:14:46 PM
Or maybe she just hasn't been important yet? Anyway, being adopted doesn't mean your birth parents are dead.

edit: also wikipedia says she's either adopted or not. Anyway being at college or something could explain being absent thus far.

Oliver Queen
Nov 30th, 2010, 03:04:19 PM
Huh. College is a good idea... hadn't thought of that! :)

Let me know if you need some suggestions for a DC Universe university name. There's like, a bazillon. :cyduck

Rick Grayson
Nov 30th, 2010, 03:07:28 PM
Or maybe she just hasn't been important yet? Anyway, being adopted doesn't mean your birth parents are dead.

edit: also wikipedia says she's either adopted or not. Anyway being at college or something could explain being absent thus far.

In the silver age, she was Jim Gordon's daughter. In modern age DC, she was Jim's niece and then adopted when his sister (Bab's mom) died. She was either still a baby or a toddler, so the adoption thing is more of a footnote in her history.

I like the blogger angle for her as a starting point. :cool:

PS: I wrote in my origin that Rick served on the Gotham PD in Gordon's precinct briefly, long before he became commissioner and likely before you ran off to college. I think our characters should definitely have met back then. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 30th, 2010, 03:21:49 PM
Ah, ok. Well I wrote some stuff in the character database, but I may change it. I kind of like it though. I couldn't find anything that gave any specifics on her being adopted.

And yes, I need a university for her to have been at! And also, yes, she can know Rick. ;)

Jason Todd
Nov 30th, 2010, 04:30:24 PM
Nothing is known about Jim Gordon's sister other than than he had a sister. She is only referenced as a background plot device in "flashback" stories like Batman: Year One. There was some vague implication of family problems, but I cannot remember the specifics. My geek-fu is not that strong to remember something that obscure. ;) So the canvas is wide open. What you wrote makes just as much sense.

Barbara Nolan
Nov 30th, 2010, 04:43:17 PM
I figured having her as Jim's wife's niece made a little more sense, because they're both named Barbara. That way my Barbara could have been named after Jim's wife before there were family troubles. Anyway, that's how I felt it worked.

Anyway I didn't make her Alfred's niece, so it isn't as far from the comics as it COULD have been!

Captain Untouchable
Nov 30th, 2010, 04:47:56 PM
I figured having her as Jim's wife's niece made a little more sense, because they're both named Barbara. That way my Barbara could have been named after Jim's wife before there were family troubles. Anyway, that's how I felt it worked.

Anyway I didn't make her Alfred's niece, so it isn't as far from the comics as it COULD have been!

Alicia Silverstone. :love

Pierce Tondry
Nov 30th, 2010, 06:03:16 PM
Riddle me this: someone hasn't claimed my favorite Batman villain, have they?

Still researching a certain HJ, in case certain people were wondering certain things.

Rick Grayson
Nov 30th, 2010, 07:47:19 PM
Go for it.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 2nd, 2010, 01:39:58 AM
You've got your aliases mixed up in the database thread - Carrie Kelley is Robin

Captain Untouchable
Dec 2nd, 2010, 02:10:02 AM
You've got your aliases mixed up in the database thread - Carrie Kelley is Robin

As I understand it, she isn't yet. However, according to his character write-up, Jason Todd is the previous Robin.

:)

Roman Sionis
Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:45:04 AM
I was just wondering - is anyone playing Alfred?

Captain Untouchable
Dec 2nd, 2010, 12:03:30 PM
I was just wondering - is anyone playing Alfred?

Not playing, no - though he has been mentioned. When Peter and I talked about it, we figured we'd just use him as an NPC unless someone specifically wants to play him.

Acacius Blade
Dec 2nd, 2010, 01:38:39 PM
I personally don't have any issues with someone roleplaying him. The main qualm I would potentially have is that because Alfred is so closely linked with Bruce/Batman, I wouldn't want to be restricted in my own roleplaying should someone decide to play him.

Captain Untouchable
Dec 2nd, 2010, 03:27:32 PM
As an aside, Peter and I seem to have reached a pretty convenient place in Dark Knights on Dark Nights (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21533) for people to start jumping in, if they wish to - consider the thread pretty much open.

I might even change the topic tag if I can be bothered! :o

I think there's a feasable excuse for every character we've got on the list so far to be in attendance, if they want to be. If you want in but can't think of a why, just let me know (or give the Team America secret signal) - as my high school teachers will no doubt confirm, I'm pretty good at cooking up imaginative excuses. :mischief

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:05:26 PM
Brucey, let me know when you want to receive a certain phone call.

Barbara Nolan
Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:21:23 PM
I have entered the fundraiser and a suspicious eyed brunette somewhere in the corner.

>_>
<_<

;)

Tionne Thanewulf
Dec 4th, 2010, 02:23:38 AM
*waves*

I'd like to join, but I don't know with which char.

Help, pls. :)

Carter Hall
Dec 4th, 2010, 06:30:03 AM
*waves*

I'd like to join, but I don't know with which char.

Help, pls. :)

Hero or villain? Powers or no powers? Costume or no costume? Guy or gal?

And I assume you'll be wanting a redhead? :mneh

Barbara Nolan
Dec 4th, 2010, 11:37:21 AM
lol all the girls so far are practically redheads. I think there are two blondes and the rest are reds!

I tried to make mine more brunet though :uhoh

Morgan Evanar
Dec 4th, 2010, 12:36:35 PM
I've been combing around for a character but most of the non-frontline people are pretty boring. It's funny. DC and marvel are sorta opposite in that respect.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 4th, 2010, 04:55:40 PM
omg you have to play Aquaman, Morg. :ohno

Morgan Evanar
Dec 4th, 2010, 06:16:54 PM
Whaaaat. I hadn't thought about it. Hurm.

Oliver Queen
Dec 4th, 2010, 06:21:22 PM
Watched an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold earlier, which had Aquaman in. If you do decide to go with him, I wouldn't mind having a go at trying to make an Aquaman villain seem "cool" - they can be a bit dorky at times. :uhoh

Edit:

Something I've been pondering. Batman (and other heroes) quite regularly win against villains. A lot of those villains end up in Arkham. However, since we're dealing with player characters at the moment, it'd suck a bit if our villains were constantly being thwarted... or if our heroes constantly let the villains get away.

DC has a lot of villains. How would people feel about the idea of taking a minor DC villain, writing them for a short period, and then letting a hero swoop in to thwart their plans and pack them off to Arkham? It'd certainly give our heroes more opportunities to be awesome, without the player-controlled villains having to take the fall all the time. By "minor" villains, I'm thinking people like Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Firefly, Thinker...

I'd totally be up for doing one-shot villains to appear in the odd thread here and there, but obviously I don't wanna just start doing it and end up pissing everyone off because I have an army of random villainy. :uhoh

Arthur Curry
Dec 4th, 2010, 06:59:41 PM
That sounds like good idea. Does anyone know what's up with humanity's knowledge of Themyscira and Atlantis? Do we have a JLA/JSA?

Carter Hall
Dec 4th, 2010, 07:10:54 PM
We had a Justice Society, about thirty-odd years ago, based on the backstories for Carter Hall, Dinah Hall (Lance) and a few others. I would imagine that there is no Justice League as yet - we talked about not having a Superman, and so far we don't have many characters who would inspire the creation of such a team. Though Aquaman would certainly be a start!

We never discussed Atlantis or Themyscira in any real depth. Given that you've gone with Arthur J. Curry though (rather than Arthur Curry or Orin), I'm guessing you're pondering having a predecessor as Aquaman, or somesuch?

Drin Kizael
Dec 4th, 2010, 07:19:04 PM
People have taken liberties with creating "Elseworlds" back stories for canon DC characters in this universe. The one big key thing that is different is that there is no Superman.

There was a JSA in this universe. They are not necessarily active anymore, but they could be (but I would suggest no to keep the rosters simple). We've established the existence of Checkmate. There would likely be a Justice League, but no one has yet made any references to it yet. No one has made any Wonder Woman references, either.

So far for the most part we've focused on Gotham-related characters, mainly because it seemed like they wanted to keep the power levels fairly low. Aquaman is ironically enough the most powerful character created so far.

Edit: One of my favorite characters is Power Girl... who had an Atlantean origin story which was retconned in the comics, which I was considering running with.

Oliver Queen
Dec 4th, 2010, 07:29:15 PM
There was a JSA in this universe. They are not necessarily active anymore, but they could be (but I would suggest no to keep the rosters simple). We've established the existence of Checkmate. There would likely be a Justice League, but no one has yet made any references to it yet. No one has made any Wonder Woman references, either.

Founded by whom? You mentioned the absense of Superman and Wonder Woman; that's two out of the core three who were the main driving force behind the organisation... surely, the JLA wouldn't exist without them?

Just curious to see who you'd think was responsible, since you seem so adverse to the "Elseworlds" idea that you keep referencing.

Drin Kizael
Dec 4th, 2010, 07:37:54 PM
Well there was a series JLA: Year 1 which established the founding the Justice League by a five of the "magnificent seven" plus Black Canary (and I think Red Tornado), but minus Superman and Batman. In fact in one issue they asked Superman to join and he said no. So anything is possible.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 4th, 2010, 07:45:12 PM
I'm going to guess not. Especially given that no metahumans have been introduced. It might be interesting to ramp up the insanity gradually. I also am not gonna be Aquaman, at least for the foreseeable future. I like this smaller scale start.

Drin Kizael
Dec 4th, 2010, 09:45:46 PM
Well I've been operating under the assumption that the rest of the DC Universe exists in some form, Justice League and all, whoever they are. I made a reference to metahumans in one post.

It's just always safe to assume that the higher octane characters are busy doing something else, just not in Gotham.

It might be cool to see some of those higher power characters involved, but only if there were a few more players on that scale, too, not just one. Just like they are mostly segregated in the comics, they'd ideally belong in their own separate set of threads, not mixing it up with this set of villains.

Oliver Queen
Dec 5th, 2010, 09:11:31 AM
I agree that other superheroes can be active. However, I really think the Justice League is something we should wait on. We may never want to roleplay the League: we may be perfectly happy with our little pool of Gotham characters. However, if we do decide to roleplay the League, it would be a shame to rob ourselves of the opportunity to do a genesis story just for the sake of convenience.

If we choose to never mention the League, we can always decide later whether it exists or not. If we specifically mention that it does exist however, we can't undo that so easily.

Fortunately, Gotham is on the Atlantic coast, and Atlantis is in the North Atlantic: it certainly makes as much sense sense for Aquaman to show up in Gotham and interact with us as it does anywhere else. :)

Completely Unrelated Edit:

I don't think this has been out-and-out mentioned as yet, but I know a lot of us have been more or less assuming that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight took place in our little continuity bubble. It gives us a basis to work from that most of us have seen, and also sets an easy-to-explain feel and theme for the city and what-not.

The only adjustment that has been talked about is with regards to Scarecrow. So that Jenny can play a cooler, more comic book inspired version of the character (rather than a dood with a sack on his head), we talked about a straight name swap, substituting "Jonathan Crane" for "Jeremiah Arkham" - in other words, it was Arkham who was working for Ra's to contaminate the city with fear gas.

Drin, Sarah, Vince, and Peter have been basing their versions of Rick Grayson, Jason Todd, Harley Quinn, Black Mask and Bruce Wayne on the assumption that we're now "a few years" after The Dark Knight. Are we, as a bunch of awesomely cool writers and people, happy to call that gospel? Just so we're all singing from the same proverbial hymn sheet, as it were. :)

I wrote Ollie's guide to Gotham based on that assuption, but I just wanted to make sure it was cool with everyone. :uhoh

Morgan Evanar
Dec 5th, 2010, 09:42:45 AM
Makes sense to me!

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 5th, 2010, 09:47:45 AM
I'm good with that.

Drin Kizael
Dec 5th, 2010, 11:31:19 AM
No real reason why not, except with maybe one exception. I was banking on Ra's being alive. I thought it monumentally lame they way they killed him off in the film, unless Nolan blows me away and actually invokes the Lazarus Pit in his otherwise "realistic" universe in the next movie.

Oliver Queen
Dec 5th, 2010, 11:33:20 AM
We never saw him die, technically. He could still be around.

There's a plan that one of our players has in place regarding Ra's though, so it's not something worth worrying about right now. :)

Jason Todd
Dec 5th, 2010, 12:21:16 PM
Whoever that is, we need to talk.

Drin Kizael
Dec 5th, 2010, 01:58:42 PM
Can we set Batman's career at an even 10 years? That would place him in his early 30s. He trained the first Robin during his second year, and his tenure lasted another two years. He's been solo since.

By extension, that is probably the length of time this generation of heroes has been around. The JSA was 30 years ago, then there was a lull. Then over these last 10 years is when the "senior ranking" heroes have been showing up... Batman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, etc.

This way any junior sidekicks can be at least 20. ;)

Barbara Nolan
Dec 5th, 2010, 02:08:24 PM
http://gothamsdarkcorners.blogspot.com/ I am a huge nerd.

I figured that, regarding timeline, Batman had only been around a few years - like four or five. That gives us a few years 'blank space' between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to play with (Rick's tenure with the Bat being in that sweet spot) and then we're sitting a year after TDK.

But honestly, its not that important. Except that I just wrote that the events of TDK were why Barbara dropped out of school and came home, so I'd prefer if that was a recent event (within a year).

Oliver Queen
Dec 5th, 2010, 02:39:34 PM
Can we set Batman's career at an even 10 years? That would place him in his early 30s. He trained the first Robin during his second year, and his tenure lasted another two years. He's been solo since.

By extension, that is probably the length of time this generation of heroes has been around. The JSA was 30 years ago, then there was a lull. Then over these last 10 years is when the "senior ranking" heroes have been showing up... Batman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, etc.

This way any junior sidekicks can be at least 20. ;)

Ultimately it's Peter's call, but I was under the impression that he wanted Batman to be around for a shorter period than that; and I got the impression that Batman was older than early twenties when he started out, too. Also, if he's been at it ten years, how come most of the main rogues gallery villains are only just starting out? Who was he fighting in the mean time.

When we talked about it before - and the number I've been feeding back to other people - we said about five years. Barbara Gordon's backstory is built around that number for example - she'd be pushing thirty if the Bat had been around for a decade.

Can we leave it at five years, since that's what we've been saying? :ohno

I figured that, regarding timeline, Batman had only been around a few years - like four or five. That gives us a few years 'blank space' between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to play with

Didn't The Dark Knight happen immediately after Batman Begins? That's why the mansion hadn't been rebuilt, why they were only just handling the fallout of who'd taken over running the mafia after Carmine Falcone was locked up, and why at the end of Batman Begins, Gordon gave Batman a Joker card.

I thought we were putting a gap of four or five years after The Dark Knight? That's what I thought we were talking about the other night, Holly... :ohno

Barbara Nolan
Dec 5th, 2010, 02:47:29 PM
Oh, um... I don't know. Its early enough that I can change whatever I need to. I thought we were having a bit of a gap between Batman Begins and TDK in our continuity - that way there's a space for Rick to be a Robin without taking a demolition hammer to the movies toooo badly. (which can also be accounted for by happening AFTER TDK the way you have it)

So that's fine - I was just confused I guess.

edit: for example if its been 4 years since TDK then Babs was about 17 when that happened, and I'll have to figure out some other reason for her to have dropped out of school but its really no big deal.

Drin Kizael
Dec 5th, 2010, 04:40:32 PM
Five years total is way too tight. Five years since TDK, maybe. I gotta think about this...

I always assumed that there was some not-insignificant time lapse between Batman Begins and Dark Night. Here's why...

In the second movie, Batman is no longer just an urban legend. He's made headlines. He has new armor and a new Batmobile, which required time to build. Gordon is ranked high enough to be considered qualified for Commissioner, even if it was a field promotion -- which means that saying he was still a Lt at the beginning of the film was actually huge writer's gaff. The promotion would have gone to a Captain.

Building a mansion of that size in that much detail takes a LONG time, especially if the owner is distracted and not working closely with the contractors, so the fact that it was not finished doesn't really mean anything.

So saying a year or even two between films is reasonable. So with 4-5 years following, that's 6-7 years total. Bruce is early/mid-thirties either way. That has always been his assumed age range in comics forever. And for him, it doesn't matter. The timeline only becomes an issue to think about for the sidekicks.

We could just say that Jason was a bit older, as were any other sidekicks who come along. That part is easy. It makes more sense anyway in a Nolan-esque reality.

So if Batman trains Robin right after Dark Knight... That lasted only a year and a half, lets say. So it's been 3 years that he's been gone. That's tight, but okay.

So now for Grayson...

Police academy = 21 years old. 2 years absolute minimum to be a detective in any department. That's when I assumed he was in Gotham, post TDK. 4-5 years since then? Eh okay. Again, that short of a time starts to push believability, but it can work.

Bottom line... It has to be 6-8-ish years for the sake of myself and Hollie, and any other former sidekicks who happen to come along. It's good to keep it vague. I only throw this out to give general perspective. Don't cramp your brain any more than I already have on it.

PS for Hollie: Rick Grayson was never Robin in this universe. For that to happen, Batman would have had to have been around for an additional 5 years at least. That's part of why I rewrote his back story.

There are a gazillion reasons why she would have dropped out of college. Plus there's no universal law declaring that she MUST have gone immediately after high school either. She can be very smart, but lack focus. I was being serious when I said she was likely too distracted by gymnastics and martial arts in college and as a result suffered from a combination of bad grades and boredom with classes.

Another interesting bit of trivia about the character that has always been neglected, actually, is the fact that Barbara has a photographic memory. You are, of course, free to keep that as part of your character or toss it out, as we all are taking huge creative liberties. Figured it was worth mentioning. :)

Barbara Nolan
Dec 5th, 2010, 04:42:26 PM
Oh, and for fun:

http://geeksofdoom.com/2006/11/21/15-richest-fictional-characters/

As long as Darkwing Duck doesn't show up in Gotham, I'm safely king of the money hill :)
The funniest thing about this list are the comments. :D

Acacius Blade
Dec 5th, 2010, 05:01:28 PM
The night of the attack on Gotham by the League of Shadows is Bruce's 30th birthday. I see it being about a year (certainly no more than) between Nolan's films. And the events of The Dark Knight happen over only a few weeks. I'd like things to pick up fairly soon after the demise of the Joker - Bruce having only recently come to terms with Rachels death. And Having to deal with police pursuit is still a recent, fresh obstacle for Batman. As a result, Batman will only have been around for a short while.

One year since the events of the Dark Knight seems fine to me.

Edit: When Joker meets the mob guys near the beginning he says 'Lets wind the clocks back a year - these cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you. What happened? D'your balls drop off? I know why you choose to have your little group therapies in broad daylight - I know why you're afraid to go out at night. The Batman." So that would make Bruce about 31 in TDK. I'm happy to add 2 more years onto that at most. Bottom line - I don't want time for more backstory. I'd rather there be less clay on the board already so that everything is open for me to slip into and roleplay directly. Otherwise we'll be so wrapped up in backstory and prequel info that there's more restrictions than I want to accomodate.

Emelie Shadowstar
Dec 5th, 2010, 05:08:54 PM
I don't think one year since TDK will work for everyone. :\

4-5 sounds okay if that's what works for most people. Three sounded just fine to establish certain characters as existing but if that doesn't make sense at all for certain people I can see pushing it back more.

I'm totally all for not getting overly specific about how much time has past... but a range would be nice at least to accommodate for everyone at least getting certain characters up and running.

Oliver Queen
Dec 5th, 2010, 05:50:54 PM
Timeline wise, our starting point is Batman Begins. The most distinctive scene for timeline purposes would be Bruce's 30th birthday party. If we anchor that as our starting point, we can work everything else out relative to it.

Peter - I know you don't want Bruce to be too old, but you mentioned wanting to throw a big birthday bash after Christmas. What if we called that his 35th (the next round number)? That means that between the scene in Batman Begins, and that thread, five years have passed.

Beyond that, we don't need to get specific. The Dark Knight happened at some point between Bruce's 30th and his 35th; closer to the former than the latter. There isn't enough time between the two movies for a Robin, so Jason Todd must have been Robin after The Dark Knight. But we don't need to explicitly say it was two years, or four years; just that he was Robin "for a bit".

For Harley's backstory to work, the Joker needs to come back. That would be after The Dark Knight, but before Bruce's 35th. That's about the same time that Todd was Robin, so he was probably involved... but we don't need to be specific about it.

The more vague we keep things, the greater our ability to fudge things together. We're talking about comic book characters that have allegedly been in their mid thirties since the 1940s... I think we can get away with not placing solid numbers on certain events! :mneh

More importantly, if we keep it vague, then we don't have to worry about these distracting discussions: we can focus on the important bit, which is the actual writing and having fun part. :)

Acacius Blade
Dec 5th, 2010, 05:53:25 PM
34 years old as of our current threads is acceptable. Just don't expect him to always act his age :)

Drin Kizael
Dec 5th, 2010, 07:09:12 PM
If the only hangup about the timeline needing to be so short is because you don't want Bruce to be "old", please don't sweat that.

Not all that much really changes about a person between early thirties and mid thirties. Trust me. It's all the same vague era of one's life that just means "grown up", at least for those who don't have some degree of Peter Pan syndrome. ;) So don't think that you would be expected to act like an elder statesman or some crap.

The only reason anyone cares is so that younger characters with back stories that hinge on Batman's existence can be out of their teens, and to give them enough to time to have been trained or promoted and whatnot since his and the Joker's appearance in Gotham.

So it's one year between movies, 4-5 years since TDK. Bruce is in his mid-thirties. This gives people the most flexibility to have a back story that makes sense.

Joker was alive and out of Arkham at the time that Robin was on the streets. That would have been very shortly after TDK. Joker's death was a very recent event, then, like earlier this year.

Suggested editorial change to the movie:

1. Jim Gordon did not become Commissioner because of the Joker/Dent rampage. Some nameless Captain or Chief got the job at the time. Gordon got the job more recently, like earlier this same year (probably the result of a new Mayoral election)

2. Harvey Dent survived. Two-Face is just too cool of a villain to be written out.

Acacius Blade
Dec 5th, 2010, 08:19:37 PM
If Gordon's only just become Commissioner then I like the idea of him being anxious to rebuild bridges with Batman. Or at least he's thinking of a way to restore Batmans image to how it was before the Joker appeared. He knows Gotham needs Batman, but he understands why Batman did what he did in taking the blame. Maybe after so long he thinks its time Gotham recognised him as their hero once more.

Oliver Queen
Dec 6th, 2010, 02:35:48 AM
Drin, with respect... if Peter doesn't want to play Batman as an older-than-x character, then Batman isn't an older character. It's Peter's decision, and it really isn't our place to try and arm-twist him out of that.

Peter is happy with 34 going on 35. If you are (which is basically what you suggested earlier, so I should darn well hope so), can you say as much so we can move on? :)

The reason for basing off the movies was to make it easy for people to work out what was going on: but if we've got a list of exceptions as long as our arms, that's gonna make it too much hard work for people to join in. Unless someone is actually planning on playing Gordon or Dent as characters (as was the case with Jenny and Scarecrow) can we just leave the movies as they are, in the interests of being accessible to all?

Acacius Blade
Dec 6th, 2010, 05:55:54 AM
If you are (which is basically what you suggested earlier, so I should darn well hope so), can you say as much so we can move on? :)

Is that to me or someone else?

Drin Kizael
Dec 6th, 2010, 10:58:25 AM
Is that to me or someone else?

It was to me. :rolleyes

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 6th, 2010, 12:19:44 PM
Drin, with respect... if Peter doesn't want to play Batman as an older-than-x character, then Batman isn't an older character. It's Peter's decision, and it really isn't our place to try and arm-twist him out of that.

Ultimately, this is a collaborative project so I would hope that everyone - even the Batman himself! - has an element of flexibility when it comes to reworking these established characters into something we can have fun with. There is certainly nothing wrong with people putting out feelers to see if their suggestions would be welcome additions to our still-developing version of DC canon.

So far, that seems to be the case, and it's nice to see roleplays taking place without any 'official' rules having to be enforced :)

Oliver Queen
Dec 6th, 2010, 02:34:57 PM
Lets not lose sight of the fact that when Peter called dibs on Batman, the idea was still fledgeling. There was talk of Superman and Lanterns at that point. He picked a character that he wanted to portray, purely on its individual merits. It was the rest of us who came along and decided we wanted to play Batman villains, versions of Robin, and so forth.

We're the ones that made Batman the central character: that wasn't necessarily what Peter "signed on for".

By all means, we need to be flexible... but lets not force Peter to be the one doing all the flexing. :)

[/soap box]

And yeah, it was aimed at Drin. Odds are that if it sounds like a "married couple" type comment, it probably is. ;)

Oliver Queen
Dec 6th, 2010, 02:37:10 PM
Bah. Stupid interwebs.

[/double post]

Barbara Nolan
Jan 19th, 2011, 02:46:38 PM
This scenario still alive? :Poke

Roman Sionis
Jan 19th, 2011, 05:36:28 PM
This scenario still alive? :Poke

...snort... coughsniffle... uh, what? OH.

I can't say I forgot about it honestly; but every time I sat down to write this honestly slipped my mind. No worries though, I got a bit more time now that I'm just waiting for the interview to be either scheduled or cancelled, so I can actually get to writing out this nihilist.

Peter McCoy
May 8th, 2011, 07:05:35 PM
For those who are still interested in the DC setting, I'm picking up one of my own threads with Holly and starting a new one with Vedrana.

FYI, Bruce is now 28. The same amount of time has elapsed - I recall 4/5 years since Nolan's movies. That allows people to have had stuff happen regarding their characters since then, but the only difference is that I've shifted Bruce's age down sdo he's younger at the different milestone events - his travelling was from 18 to 21/22-ish, the League of Shadows attack Gotham when he's 22. Joker's mayhem when he's 23. Spin on 5 years later when people are developing characters and bam - I give you the 28 year old President of Wayne Enterprises.

Barbara Nolan
Jul 21st, 2012, 04:25:11 AM
Bumpin' dis shiznit :cool

Dasquian the Elf
Jul 23rd, 2012, 10:55:17 AM
Feeling inspired by seeing TDKR? :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:21:08 PM
Maybe. :mischief

And also The Amazing Spider-Man because Emma Stone

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 25th, 2012, 06:59:44 AM
I have been reading so much DC lately, I want to do this :ohno

Captain Untouchable
Dec 25th, 2012, 08:20:06 AM
Between Arrow and my Christmas comics (:love), I am totally up for this, too.

Perhaps it would be worth us having some sort of central plot / narrative arc this time, though. Last time we all ran off to do our individual things, and never really had a reason to meet back up again. Kinda like how DC has individual series for it's heroes, but also has things like the Justice League and the periodic "Crisis" type stuff every now and again to progress the big story.

I have pages and pages of alternate DC ideas kicking around (long story)... I could probably whip up some sort of quest arc type thing, if people want something like that.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 25th, 2012, 08:22:09 AM
Go for it!

I will chip in Robin, Ivy and Scarecrow (if necessary). I'd rather focus on just Robin and Ivy, though :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:37:42 AM
I'm still up for Barbara being all....Barbara-y. :) She needs a fellow in her life, and the last one, uh, disappeared. If Robin is re-available under new management?....

Edit: oh, er, read the thread, guess I was thinking the wrong Robin ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 26th, 2012, 05:04:07 AM
Drin monopolised all the male Robin names :uhoh

We are thinking of doing some Birds of Prey shenanigans, if you want to get Barbara in on that? :)

Green Arrow
Dec 26th, 2012, 06:28:29 AM
I've got an idea for Barbara actually, Holly. Hit me (Jace) up on AIM when you're not too busy with Christmas stuff, and we shall scheme in a vaguely nefarious manner. :mischief

I've got an Ivy idea as well, Jenny - my mum is over this afternoon, but I'll try and hit you up this evening... assuming you're not too busy saving the world from aliens, that is. ;)

Red Robin
Dec 26th, 2012, 12:00:02 PM
hey Barbara ;)

Barbara Nolan
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:57:50 PM
......Hi Red :o

Selina Kyle
Dec 26th, 2012, 04:21:16 PM
Birds and bats and... :cat

Oliver Queen
Dec 26th, 2012, 04:23:49 PM
Well hello, Miss Kyle. :mischief

Jervis Tetch
Dec 27th, 2012, 01:58:30 PM
I bit the bullet for another character. :) Don't worry, I'm handsome enough to hang out here, I promise.

Captain Untouchable
Dec 27th, 2012, 02:04:06 PM
Sebastian Stan eh, Holly?

Why am I not surprised? ;)

Selina Kyle
Dec 27th, 2012, 02:14:50 PM
But where's the Batman? *pout*

Jervis Tetch
Dec 27th, 2012, 03:08:14 PM
Sebastian Stan eh, Holly?

Why am I not surprised? ;)

I couldn't resist. :D

Edit: I sound like I should be a butler though. Jervis? Did my parents have big dreams for me to join the service industry? Should I go to school for buttle-ing?

Ted Kord
Dec 28th, 2012, 04:16:54 PM
There's an awful lot of vigilantes in costumes running around in this town. The D.E.O won't stand for this kind of behaviour... not on my watch.

Rick Grayson
Dec 28th, 2012, 05:30:48 PM
Per Hollie's appeal, count me in.

Rick Grayson is a special agent, former GCPD and Bludhaven cop, never a costumed crime fighter. Originally made him to be part of Checkmate, but if that's changed then DEO sounds good to me.

I wrote up Jason Todd to be the first Robin. He appeared to meet the same fate as he did in Death in the Family, except no body was ever found. File him under villain.

Barbara Nolan
Dec 28th, 2012, 05:45:23 PM
Riiiiiiick you're baaaack :D

I mean, oh, hi. :)

Oliver Queen
Dec 28th, 2012, 05:47:24 PM
Per Hollie's appeal, count me in.

Rick Grayson is a special agent, former GCPD and Bludhaven cop, never a costumed crime fighter. Originally made him to be part of Checkmate, but if that's changed then DEO sounds good to me.

I wrote up Jason Todd to be the first Robin. He appeared to meet the same fate as he did in Death in the Family, except no body was ever found. File him under villain.

Checkmate hasn't changed to the DEO per se: they're separate agencies. The "Department of Extranormal Operations" is similar to the FBI: their job is to clamp down on vigilantes, unmask them, and so on. Sometimes they do that by recruiting lesser vigilantes to help them tackle the bigger ones. Ted Kord (Blue Beetle) is an example of that: it's kind of a homage to the current story arc that's going on in Batwoman.

Checkmate on the other hand is a clandestine organisation, more akin to the CIA. They have no interest in stopping petty vigilantism: rather, they're more interested in using the superhuman and the superpowered as tools for espionage and so forth. We're blurring it together with the Suicide Squad (traditionally made up of vigilantes and "redeemed" villains), which is why Werner Vertigo is going to be revealed as being involved with Checkmate at the end of "The Archer and the Acrobat". Also, Queen Industries is going to be a front company for Checkmate, with her current owner/president William Glenmorgan as one of it's senior members.

We didn't know that you were going to be back around, so we've been working on the assumption that Oliver Queen was the "original" Robin, with the moniker being a Robin Hood reference, rather than a bird reference. That's why Carrie Kelly is going by "Red Robin", to distinguish her from the earlier "Green" version. Would you be cool with Jason being the second Robin, as per the comics?

We're mostly sticking our fingers and humming loudly when it comes to timelines at the moment, so as long as we keep things vague and don't use too many specific numbers, we should be fine fudging whatever.

Rick Grayson
Dec 28th, 2012, 05:56:03 PM
Would you be cool with Jason being the second Robin, as per the comics?

That works.

And Rick is still Checkmate. Cool.

Hi Babs. :smug: I'll be going over that old thread and maybe throw it in the Lazarus Pit. It's super slow at work tonight.

Harleen Quinzel
Dec 28th, 2012, 07:11:37 PM
I'd rather focus on just Robin and Ivy, though :)

Ivy, Ivy, Ivy!!!! :eee:eee:eee

Rick Grayson
Dec 28th, 2012, 07:51:28 PM
Drin monopolised all the male Robin names :uhoh

We are thinking of doing some Birds of Prey shenanigans, if you want to get Barbara in on that? :)

I'd have given you bigger props if you were Stephanie Brown. ;)

Barbara Nolan
Dec 29th, 2012, 12:25:47 AM
Made a topic tag because.... because I couldn't resist

Rick Grayson
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:07:46 PM
Cool. Now is it going to get installed under RP Tags? ;)

Jervis Tetch
Dec 30th, 2012, 09:48:35 PM
Depends on what the admin/s think about another tag :)

I also started a thread: http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23070 for us Applied Science nerds. Paging... Someone? to the thread. It's open!

Also thinking where to go with another Babs/Rick RP. Maybe another 'Barbara at the library' thread?