PDA

View Full Version : It was only a matter of time...

Emelie Shadowstar
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:59:11 PM
http://www.starwars.com/movies/saga/announce3d/index.html

...Yep. They're going to turn them all 3D.

Rejoice!

Or, you know... forehead slap and wonder when this "OMFG 3D MOVIES!!!!" fad will end for another generation or so.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:14:37 AM
Sooo pointless |I

Crusader
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:39:09 AM
Yipeeeeee!

Darth Turbogeek
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:39:12 AM
Rejoice!

Or, you know... forehead slap and wonder when this "OMFG 3D MOVIES!!!!" fad will end for another generation or so.

Grrrrrrrrrrr. Fuck Lucas.

Sanis Prent
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:41:33 AM
Maybe I'm a big hopeless rube, but any chance to watch Star Wars on the big screen again is something I'd probably get behind.

Crusader
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:49:43 AM
Maybe I'm a big hopeless rube, but any chance to watch Star Wars on the big screen again is something I'd probably get behind.

Amen

Maybe the whole tweaking on the OT is not that bad as long as it keeps other people away from the idea that Star Wars needs a REBOOT!!!!

I still don't get why Spider Man needs one and why X-Men needs a prequel...

Droo
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:58:24 AM
I can haz dollars?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:49:42 AM
You guys are really going to pay twice the price of a normal movie ticket to go see The Phantom Menace in 3D?

Xavier Synik
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:34:50 PM
I'd only pay twice to the price to see the OT in 3D. And if seeing it in 3D for EP4 does nothing I wouldn't bother with the other two.

Sanis Prent
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:37:49 PM
was there something in that which said it was twice the price for 3D?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:42:17 PM
3D movies here are twice as expensive as normal movies.

Mu Satach
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:25:45 PM
list of why I'd fork over cash to see any of these in 3D

IV: trench run on the death star
V: millennium falcon asteroid chase
VI: millennium falcon death star run

I: pod race through the canyon
II: ummmmm.... uhhh... huh... can't think of one damn thing
III: uuuuuhhhhh... hmmmm... ditto - the few cool scenes are far too short for me to remember or get goosebumps about the thought of 3D.

But - large screen, good sound, comfy seats and popcorn, I'm a rube.

Sanis Prent
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:55:47 PM
Battle of Coruscant in 3D would give me a seizure. Let's do that.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:09:39 PM
Heard about this on NPR on the way home today. Doesn't surprise me, and while I wouldn't see 1-3 in theatres as a first choice, I definitely want to see 4-6. The whole Battle of Hoth sequence would be awesome in 3D I think :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:24:03 PM
3D isn't twice the price here, but it IS more expensive by 3-5 dollars, depending on where you go to see it. Frankly it makes me sick how much it costs just to go see a regular movie these days. I guess RECESSION means CHARGE MORE FOR THE THINGS PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS SPEND MONEY ON, like movies, since we can't afford vacations anymore.

I'd go see the movies in 3D in a heartbeat. Well, maybe not that fast, but as soon as we could lock down a babysitter at least.

Darth Turbogeek
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:56:03 PM
Battle of Coruscant in 3D would give me a seizure. Let's do that.

It gives my brain a seizure how bad it actually is and why I ever thougt TPM was even watchable. The Prequels are simply a film making disgrace and they only get worse the more I learn what actually makes a good film.

Lucas : It's a kids film!
TPM : Lets crap on about trade disputes that no one understands or cares about

Honestly, buzz droids? And Obi Wan just sits there and lets them cut the ship apart? YOU ARE A JEDI YOU NUMBNUTS and that's just the first part of how defying the rules of the movie it is.

Plus the fact converted movies look terrible - You really do need to be filmed from 3D to begin with

No one should give another dollar to that misreble filmaker until he restores and releases the cinematic versions of the OT. Altho I maybe settle of every copy of TPM ever being burnt.

Sanis Prent
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:11:47 PM
Hey cool thats fantastic.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:35:13 PM
I am not surprised, I might see them in 3D I will have to think about it.

Figrin D'an
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:29:26 AM
I'm not sure I'll bother with this, but not because of an "I'm not giving any more money to Lucas" attitude. '3D' just doesn't do much for me.

Emelie Shadowstar
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:08:47 PM
That's... pretty much where I'm at. I'm actually pretty happy to hear that they're re-releasing eps 4-6 back on the big screen (Not paying money to see eps 1-3 again, not even if they gave me free coffee)... I'm just bummed it's in 3D since well... 1: It just doesn't really appeal to me, honestly. And 2: I usually have about a 40% chance of getting some serious motion sickness which sadly I've found to be more likely for older movies they have "converted".

Maybe the marketing folks over at lucasfilm will be smart and allow people to see the "normal" 2D version as well so as to... well, make money off the people who could care less for 3D (or you know, can't watch it because it makes them physically ill.)

Either way I'll be waiting for ANH to hit the theaters and then weigh my options of 3D blowing up of the Death Star vs probably feeling like I want to die the rest of the night. :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:31:57 PM
3D movies are generally about $22 here so you can understand when I say that someone will have to give these a stellar review before I even think of setting foot in the cinema :mneh

Mu Satach
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:45:59 PM
$22 smeggin bucks??? I want 5 spins on a rollercoaster plus the flick for that kind of money. Sheesh.

Rutabaga
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:31:14 PM
I'm not sure I'll bother with this, but not because of an "I'm not giving any more money to Lucas" attitude. '3D' just doesn't do much for me.

That perfectly sums up my feelings about this.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:49:49 PM
Not seeing anything in 3d unless it was actually filmed in 3d.

Rutabaga
Oct 8th, 2010, 07:01:04 AM
One CNN employee's open letter to George Lucas:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/10/06/3d.starwars.bad/index.html

Acacius Blade
Oct 21st, 2010, 01:54:38 AM
Maybe the whole tweaking on the OT is not that bad as long as it keeps other people away from the idea that Star Wars needs a REBOOT!!!!

I'd rather see a reboot since it'd be a separate entity from a constant butchering of our beloved OT.

Plus, you never know, it could be good if they did a reboot. It'd never be as magical, but it could be downright interesting and entertaining. You've seen what kind of difference the director choice made, going from A New Hope to Empire Strikes Back. Imagine what difference the writer could make. Keep the core story, the key lines, and re-write the movies. Thats kinda what we all do here, with vastly different styles amongst ourselves that are nothing like George's incarnation. Imagine A New Hope in Sanis' first-person narrative, with Han Solo portrayed as some sort of film-noir rogue in a dim, smoky cantina.

Just a thought.

Regardless, I will not watch them in 3D. 3D sucks ass.

Droo
Oct 21st, 2010, 04:44:26 AM
Why reboot at all? Why not just make new films with a new story completely separate to what we have seen before? Roleplayers do that on a day-to-day basis here so surely screenwriters can't find it that difficult to be original.

Acacius Blade
Oct 21st, 2010, 06:00:03 AM
I agree. I wasn't saying I wanted a reboot. I'd prefer actual sequels but I'd still prefer a reboot to constant tweaks to the existing films.

And it's not that it's difficult to be original - just easier not to bother.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 25th, 2010, 06:51:57 AM
I agree. I wasn't saying I wanted a reboot. I'd prefer actual sequels but I'd still prefer a reboot to constant tweaks to the existing films.

Agreed, totally. It just seems like... needless fiddling. The movies weren't perfect to begin with but that doesn't mean you need to spend the next however many years faffing on with them.

As for a reboot.. I think we talked about this in another thread, and were talking about who we would cast in various roles. I seem to remember Ryan Reynolds as Han Solo and Zac Efron as Luke Skywalker? :lol

Crusader
Oct 25th, 2010, 02:26:40 PM
Yeah and Megan Fox would be Leia and Rhianna would be Landa Calrissian since we need more female heros in SW.
Oh and there will be a catfight over Han by both of them in a carbonite mud pool.

Salem Ave
Oct 25th, 2010, 03:58:13 PM
How terrible, that the first think I think on reading your post is "But carbonite isn't a liquid! You can't mud-wrestle in a compressed gas!"

Acacius Blade
Oct 26th, 2010, 05:19:49 PM
Yeah and Megan Fox would be Leia and Rhianna would be Landa Calrissian since we need more female heros in SW.
Oh and there will be a catfight over Han by both of them in a carbonite mud pool.

Swap Megan Fox for Katy Perry, and you've got a winner!

Crusader
Oct 27th, 2010, 04:35:16 PM
Deal! But Vin Diesel is Darth Vader and Jeff Bridges is the emperor. Do you think George Clooney would make a good Obiwan?

Rutabaga
Oct 31st, 2010, 09:30:06 AM
:lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/Rutabaga64/foxtrothalloween2010.gif

The Original BuffJedi
Nov 2nd, 2010, 08:45:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken(and sure I ain't this time) Lucas stated this a LONG time ago, mos def before 3D hit back big. I'm not big into 3D, but I only need an excuse to see the two greatest movies of all time on the big screen again ,TPM and ROTS..can't wait!!!

Liam Jinn
Nov 2nd, 2010, 11:27:59 PM
I thought RotS was the horrible. No way in hell I'd see it in theaters again unless I was trashed. Even then... probably not

The Original BuffJedi
Nov 4th, 2010, 10:49:39 AM
I thought RotS was the horrible. No way in hell I'd see it in theaters again unless I was trashed. Even then... probably not
BOO!!! hiss-hiss!!:twak