PDA

View Full Version : Myth Bestiary

Ariadne Fyrian
Sep 6th, 2010, 06:24:25 PM
I figured it'd be a neat idea to start up a thread for us to share animal ideas for the Myth setting :)

There are some that we've already got, like tigraphants, manes, gryphons, and vargrs. Charley also came up with something called a quillcat, but I'll let him describe that one since I'm hazy on it.

I'll start us off :)

Carrion Hounds - These canine-like creatures resemble hyenas in their body structure, with the exception of long, rat-like tails. They are mangy, with rough, course fur that comes mostly in a sandy brown color. Since they are mostly desert dwellers, their coloring helps to keep them relatively hidden. Some have been known to travel in packs farther northward of the Hadar Wastelands. Their unnerving smile - in fact they themselves, are often attributed to ill omens and predictions of death.

As their name suggests, they eat the dead. It is not uncommon to see a pack of these rangy creatures watching some poor soul who has wandered too far where he or she should not have. They follow anything that kills, therefor they are known to travel in the wake of armies from any nation and fill their bellies with the bodies of the vanquished.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 6th, 2010, 06:29:09 PM
We probably need some aquatic monsters too. ^_^;

Mandan the Archer
Sep 7th, 2010, 01:50:59 AM
How about a Megashark, and a Giant Octopus? :mischief

Anne Phoenix
Sep 7th, 2010, 02:09:54 AM
Why not give the megashark eight tentacles and call it a Shartacle? The tentacles would be used for grabbing prey and feeding it into it's mouth.

Inquiry. I'm thinking about creating a Myth character. Do I have to choose one of the existing races, or can I create another one to add to the existing ones? I was thinking along the lines of a Trollish species living on the small islands off the SE coast of Daldaria, specializing in perhaps fire elements because of the still active volcanoes on those islands, perhaps?

John Glayde
Sep 7th, 2010, 03:24:51 AM
Why not give the megashark eight tentacles and call it a Shartacle? The tentacles would be used for grabbing prey and feeding it into it's mouth.

Doesn't Syfy have "Octoshark" as well? >_<

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 7th, 2010, 03:26:03 PM
A leviathan would be cool too. I know I'm always fascinated and terrified of those nature shows that depict how prehistoric water giants lived in the oceans. A giant mosasaur/pleiasaur type sea monster that inhabits the deep waters and attacks ships that venture too far out would be great.

J'onn Scarlet
Sep 7th, 2010, 03:32:59 PM
Maybe the Mer can tame some of the babies, and use them to move about the oceans?

:mischief

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/12537/792193-riding_lapras_couple_1__super.jpg

Blind Molly
Sep 7th, 2010, 03:38:44 PM
The Mer don't move about the oceans - they stay very much at the coast. The Glauca have gills, they'd be a better fit for leviathan taming.

Ok so:

Leviathan
huge deep ocean fiercely territorial creature known for attacking ships that wander into its territory.
http://www.furtales.com/as/ref/ref_Leviathan_by_Ruth_Tay.jpg

Could also use them as a reason Ankaa is protected by sea - Leviathan territory off the coast past all the rocks and stuff that make things treacherous for ships.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 7th, 2010, 03:41:02 PM
A smaller cousin-species would be neat for domestication :)

Blind Molly
Sep 7th, 2010, 03:42:32 PM
I could see the Glauca domesticating a smaller undersea creature for use as beasts of burden, etc, in their underwater cities. :D

Captain Untouchable
Sep 7th, 2010, 03:53:13 PM
Perhaps something like a turtle for domestication? If we're talking beast of burden, something like this (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG88a.jpg) might be cool. It's got a good platform for riding on (underwater jousting, anyone? :lol) and when they die the hides and shells could be recycled for all sorts of things.

That Leviathan image though? Damn, that's a gnarley, sexy beast. :smokin

Mishuran Lagare
Sep 7th, 2010, 04:00:34 PM
..sea turtles?

Anne Phoenix
Sep 10th, 2010, 05:21:32 AM
With as much desert as there is, there has to be a camel of some kind. But not just an ordinary camel, a carnivarous one, able to store and feed on blood instead of just water. Maybe give it Vampire style fangs and a pair of big insectile like pincers with sharp ends?

A 'Take it as it is, even if it's not dead yet' Vulture would be appropriate as well, IMO.

Calleh
Sep 10th, 2010, 08:13:30 AM
Asga, where everything, even your mount, is trying to kill you! :lol