PDA

View Full Version : Apeing the whole Ask/Tell thing for all my characters

Charley
Aug 19th, 2010, 10:39:06 PM
Yes I'm a shameless copycat, but it's a good idea since I have gobs of characters and probably leave more loose ends than a cheaply-made sweater. Basically, whatever y'all want to know about my characters, ask here. Whether it's something to better get an understanding for my characters for RP purposes or just to satisfy wanton curiosity, hit me with your best shot.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:02:03 PM
First I'll start off by telling you that the backstory you wrote for Dan - the Shadows thread you did? It was awesome. I love how you tied him into the Darth Bane lineage of Two. Very good job there.

And now my question: Phoenix Cell? Its a military group but it doesn't work for SpecOps, they are under the leadership of Rebel Intelligence? I guess I'd like some clarification on how that works, exactly. Or even inexactly. ;)

Charley
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:17:11 PM
The honest answer on Phoenix cell is that I haven't a clue how it fits hierarchically. I really need to figure it out. The bullshit answer is that it's a line-item on Rebel Intel's operations roladex, in charge of fostering support from Imperial-occupied populations for use in support and asymmetrical actions. The story that is told on the record is that they help to feed decentralized resistance to the Empire on enemy planets. The real story is darker and more complicated as you well know.

Blade Bacquin
Aug 20th, 2010, 11:05:10 AM
My first question is about Sanis. Why does he always fall for the serious some what prudish girl with a high moral code? Navaria old story line Saricia the current one.

Second question is how tall is Cirrsseeto also what is the average height of Cizerack male?

Charley
Aug 20th, 2010, 11:14:23 AM
The most pragmatic answer I have on Sanis's taste in the ladies is that there aren't a whole lot of people who RP big ol' sluts in the Rebellion. I NPC one, but that's more of a plot effect. A more character-related answer would be that Sanis would probably love to turn a good girl a little bad, like Olivia Newton John in Grease lol.

Cirr is 6'5" tall, and that height is probably average for Cizerack males

Kale
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:25:23 PM
Are there any conditions for victory in Decepis's grand plot, or, much like the average SW-Fans RPer, is his only objective to keep hunting for more and varied conflicts?

Emelie Shadowstar
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:30:43 PM
(forgive me if you've answered this in an RP somewhere. If you have...toss me at the thread!)
Is Decepis aware of the other Sith running about? And if so... is he planning on dealing with them sooner or later? Would he hold temporary alliances with them or just off them as soon as they were found out?

Captain Untouchable
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:33:33 PM
(forgive me if you've answered this in an RP somewhere. If you have...toss me at the thread!)
Is Decepis aware of the other Sith running about? And if so... is he planning on dealing with them sooner or later? Would he hold temporary alliances with them or just off them as soon as they were found out?

Beat me to the punch! :lol

Given that Decepis is a proper "rule of two" Sith, what does he think of other darksiders in general? Does he plan on taking them down, leaving them be, trying to bring them on side... ?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:44:24 PM
It suddenly occurred to me, quite ickily, that Keer might be Kia's father. That isn't true, is it?! O_O;;

Darth Decepis
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:45:28 PM
Are there any conditions for victory in Decepis's grand plot, or, much like the average SW-Fans RPer, is his only objective to keep hunting for more and varied conflicts?

His goal, as any true Sith's goal should be, is to acquire and hold on to as much power as possible. He sees his position currently as being able to either work to usurp the Galactic Empire or to finish the Jedi as Palpatine should. Perhaps both in short order, but these are goals he has. He would very much like the Rebellion to win the war, but a Rebellion that is slowly transformed into a vessel of his own ambitions.

He is aware of the presence of darksiders, but none specific. He takes a dim view of other practitioners of the dark side that aren't under his control, because he believes them to be heretics, weak, and without focus.

He would be happy to destroy them, but they are potentially useful as allies. After all, he is always looking for a new apprentice to replace the one he has. (One faaar younger aaand mooore powerful...) >D

He is always looking to teach the mysteries of the Sith to a more powerful apprentice, but he'll spin whatever lies he needs to in order to use any other dark acolytes that make poor use of the dark side, if they're not apprentice material.

Basically, he's stringing everybody along with lies if he isn't outright trying to destroy them. Promises of power, promises to right percieved wrongs, promises for whatever the occasion, and all of them lies. Remember his name, after all.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:52:56 PM
It suddenly occurred to me, quite ickily, that Keer might be Kia's father. That isn't true, is it?! O_O;;

Short answer is no.

Long answer is...long. I haven't put it into the wiki yet, I don't think.

Basically, the name Sarrtarroa is something like cloistered order in the Pride Mother's court. They are the males from which the Sor'Arr'Fai is chosen. They're carefully selected from noble or wealthy parentage and raised from very young age apart from society. They spend years learning extensive subjects, honing their bodies to physical perfection, and becoming proficient in the arts. They're very similar in some respect to Companions from Firefly, but the Sarrtarroa order are used for only two things: producing the Sor'Arr'Fai, and siring an heiress. The Sor'Arr'Fai is not necessarily the father of a princess in that respect.

Xavier Synik
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:59:35 PM
Apologies if this has been RPed out someplace, but,

What's Dan's philosophy on battle? Is he a "career" soldier who is doing his duty, or is he more in it for the thrill of the battle/out for blood?

Also is he a true General (in that he is more a Army officer) or is he a General in name but prefers naval battles?

General Dan
Aug 20th, 2010, 03:05:12 PM
Apologies if this has been RPed out someplace, but,

What's Dan's philosophy on battle? Is he a "career" soldier who is doing his duty, or is he more in it for the thrill of the battle/out for blood?

Also is he a true General (in that he is more a Army officer) or is he a General in name but prefers naval battles?

Dan's backstory has him as a school teacher on some rural backwater. Until the dark times, he had no formal military training. He learned everything from scratch, fighting with whatever he had. To use Eddie Izzard's description of the British against the Germans in the beginning of WWII, he's throwing pots and pans and soft serve ice cream against panzers to see what sticks.

He'd definitely be vested into the fight personally, as his "family" died at the onset of the conflict at the Empire's hands.

He's a General because I thought it was tongue-in-cheek to make every fucking important character to the plot in Star Wars into a general. In that sense, it's probably just a title he kept from his days of doing more stuff with boots on the ground. Possibly, he could even be some kind of joint theater commander, but its obvious I haven't thought too much on the subject ;)

Captain Untouchable
Aug 21st, 2010, 09:11:15 AM
Where do your characters come from? Do you start with the personality, and then find a place where that particular character will fit in, or do you usually start with a potential scenario and create someone that satisfies that role?

How much of your own personality do you put into your characters? Which of your characters do you think you're most like; and which would you most like to be like?

Charley
Aug 21st, 2010, 09:35:21 AM
I create characters for different reasons. Here are a few motives:
Fulfill a particular plot point or need (example, T'yeellaa Meorrrei)
I see or hear something that kicks my muse into overdrive and gets me to think about new possibilities (example, "figuring out" the Sith after binging in wookieepedia - going off the deep end with Darth Decepis)
A part of my personality demands to be expressed (example, Sanis is me without consequences, Cirr is my inner child, Anbira is my moral code)

And with that, your second question probably depends a lot on how major the character is. My major characters (Sanis, Cirr, and Anbira) I consider to be very much expressions of myself. Dan to some degree is a comedic satire of me as a married person. Probably the best explanation I have is that if we think about Sanis as Han Solo and Anbira as Obi Wan Kenobi, since they're major influences on each, it goes like this:

Han Solo is the person I want to be.

Obi Wan Kenobi is the person I need to be.

It's hard to say which is most like me, because I'm a sum of their parts.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 21st, 2010, 10:44:40 AM
Who was your first character on 'Fans? And if you still play them, how have they changed over the years? (Use this last question for the character that's been around the longest if 1st character doesn't exist anymore.)

Charley
Aug 21st, 2010, 05:45:35 PM
First character is Anbira, though back then of course the name I used for the account was Lounge Lizard (since it was an OOC screen name made before we started roleplaying).

Second was Eluna, and third was Sanis. After that, it's all a blur.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 21st, 2010, 05:50:26 PM
And how has Anbira changed over the years?

Don't forget the second part of my question. :shakefist Its the most important part!

Captain Untouchable
Aug 21st, 2010, 05:55:48 PM
Something I've never thought to ponder before... is the Layla named after anyone, or was that the name the ship had when Sanis bought it?

Charley
Aug 21st, 2010, 06:18:50 PM
And how has Anbira changed over the years?

Don't forget the second part of my question. :shakefist Its the most important part!

Oh man, that one might take years. I remember I was really big into Dragonball Z at the time and he was some kind of mountain-destroying freak of nature or somesuch. He was good, then bad, he was old, then young. He got cloned, he put his clone into Darth Vader's armor, etc. Like so much of my old writing, I'm deeply ashamed of almost all of it, and consider it horrifying. I've only felt comfortable with him in his most current incarnation, and I've had the same ideas for him for the past five years.

Something I've never thought to ponder before... is the Layla named after anyone, or was that the name the ship had when Sanis bought it?

This is strictly OOC and is never brought up to anybody, but just backstory that I know for Sanis's own motivations. Layla was the name of a girl on Nar Shaddaa who he was crazy over, and who not only broke his heart, but somehow had enough luck and money to bail on the planet itself. He named the ship Layla in sort of a homage to chasing after something that was both substantial and not at the same time. He's always had plans to leave the planet, to make it big, to have the life he never had growing up, and the name Layla has a personal representation of chasing that dream.

Captain Untouchable
Aug 21st, 2010, 07:33:11 PM
Which of your threads are you most proud of? Which of your threads are you the least proud of? Why on both counts.

Two can play at this game, you awkward question asking bastard! :shakefist

:mneh

Taataani Meorrrei
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:06:34 PM
I'm probably most proud of The One True Sith. This may be because I have the memory of a goldfish and can only parse recent conquests, but I worked my butt off to understand the psychosis necessary to be the Lord of the Sith. The rapport I had between Decepis and Acera, and then Dan with Rath and Terminas, it all came together so creepily and awesome.

My biggest disappointment was Sanis Prent and the Urns of Korriban because the thread had so much awesome potential and it was squandered mainly due to my own slackassing. I feel awful about letting everybody down in that thread.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 21st, 2010, 08:59:29 PM
Who is Cirr's dad? And Daani's and Arruuko's, for that matter?

Also, how long has Taurrifarr been with Taa at this point?

Taataani Meorrrei
Aug 21st, 2010, 09:45:34 PM
Cirr's biological is Riyaatho Meorrrei. I have no idea about Daani and Arruuko. They can pick who's their dad from the dad list if they want, or I can assign them one! :lol

The whole "who is my dad" issue in Cizerack families is in some ways kind of a non-issue. A Cizerack cub, asked that question, would point to the dozen or so men of the house and say "Thejy arre, ssjilljy forrda!" Cizerack families are very much "it takes a village", because all of the manservants are certainly fathers to their mistress's children.

Taurrifarr has probably been happily married for a good 30 years to his lady.

Wyl Staedtler
Aug 22nd, 2010, 01:28:45 AM
I love Sanis Prent and his swagger but I want to know if he has any secret fears; not the kind of things that make you a bit nervous but the kind of things that keep you up nights, worrying. Also, he clearly doesn't have any qualms about helping a sister out with her habit (for which Chaz is grateful, btw) - how does that thinking go? Is it simply a 'hey, I'm just a supplier in the face of demand' sort of deal or does he ever have any hesitations about providing for a profit?

How did Jan get into his line of business? Does he miss home or has the disintegration of the old Suid Afrika tempered that? And has he ever koffed a bompie? ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 22nd, 2010, 02:39:29 AM
Which character of yours do you find the most challenging to write?

Zem-El Vymes
Aug 22nd, 2010, 02:55:27 AM
I love Sanis Prent and his swagger but I want to know if he has any secret fears; not the kind of things that make you a bit nervous but the kind of things that keep you up nights, worrying. Also, he clearly doesn't have any qualms about helping a sister out with her habit (for which Chaz is grateful, btw) - how does that thinking go? Is it simply a 'hey, I'm just a supplier in the face of demand' sort of deal or does he ever have any hesitations about providing for a profit?

How did Jan get into his line of business? Does he miss home or has the disintegration of the old Suid Afrika tempered that? And has he ever koffed a bompie? ;)

Sanis is fiercely independent. He doesn't mind fighting for the cause, but he wants everything to be on his terms. He's worried that there's a chance that if the Rebels win, they'll be no better at the whole "leave well enough alone" game than the Empire, though he hopes against that fear.

Sanis is also terrified of actually putting himself in a position to be hurt. It all goes back to Layla. He's not emotionally invested in much of anything, because if that happens, he doesn't want to feel that way again. It nearly happened with s'Il, and rather than deal with the heart of the matter, he decided to put on a big game and have a fight with her over his choice to join the Rebels.

He's not nearly as crass and self-centered as he'd want to be.

As far as him supplying Chaz, that's just the streets. That's his reality. Sometimes people want to get high. Sometimes people want to make some money. No harm, no foul. Would he sell to Chaz if she was really off of it? Probably not. But she isn't, so he does, and anybody giving him a lecture on that can sit and spin, because they're probably some Outer Rim hick that doesn't "get" it.

As far as Jan, I actually do have a pretty deep backstory on him. He fought in 32 Battalion against UNITA in Angola, and all that jazz and then joined Executive Outcomes after Apartheid ended and his unit disbanded, leaving him in a low-rent township in Pretoria with no prospects. He ended up with a string of service in Sierra Leonne, East Timor, and other little shitholes.

He misses a braai and a pint of castle like the best of 'em, but I don't think he's got a future in Zuma-led ZA, and he knows that. He makes shitloads of money which helps to temper his homesick tendencies. I think at some point he figures his nest egg will get big enough and he can retire, but in the back of his head, he wonders how many more reforms the government might make to clamp down on guys like him.

As for your last question, I believe Queen has a song about that very same sort of thing. Like any good man, he has, but he'll deny it to your face!

Which character of yours do you find the most challenging to write?

Decepis easily.

Akasha Khan
Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:27:12 PM
For Cizerack in general:

You've had Taataani refer to other felinoids as "cousin species." Does this imply any sort of affinity between Cizerack and other feline species, or is it merely a neutral descriptor, like "humanoid"? Would Orryxians and Trianii be a rung up from other forrda, being (from all appearances) more primitive renditions of the Cizerack? Or would they perhaps strike the Cizerack as repulsive for the same reason?

Taataani Meorrrei
Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:35:57 PM
Cousin races are a Cizeri equivalent for saying "felinoid", so yeah its a way of having a quasi-familiarity with them. Although in the vain way the Cizerack carry themselves, they kind of view the more hirsute variety as we might view the Geico cavemen. They might talk and act like you more or less, but they're probably one bad fur day away from putting a bone through their nose and shaking spears in a dance to make it rain. The strain of Cathar that Silvar, Juhani and Arriana Rezner are from get a more amicable break.

Cousin species get a pass from some of the potential pitfalls that other forrda might risk (say, being eaten!) as even the morbid folks who fancy that sort of nasty practice would consider that to be way too depraved

Tear
Sep 12th, 2010, 04:54:13 PM
Which account do you prefer to receive pm's on?

Taataani Meorrrei
Sep 12th, 2010, 09:44:52 PM
Probably my Charley account. It's sort of the "hub"