PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Shadows

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 20th, 2010, 04:54:25 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick and tired of Jedi being kicked around. Throughout cannon we have REPEATING near-extinctions of the Jedi and they really don't learn anything, now do they? :rolleyes

When Cade seems to be the only sensible member of the Skywalker family, you know something must be wrong. :lol anyway, clickie 1 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Luke_Cade.JPG)

Soooo....my idea would be the re-establishment of Jedi Shadows.
Let's see what wookie articles says clickie 2 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Shadow)

Here's a set of FAQ I came up with just to summarize my argumentation

Why do we need Jedi Shadows?
Like a number of people pointed out already, we need a different kind of Jedi. We have to decide whether to go with the vegan, tree-hugging kind that ended like it did(more than once), or do we embark on a more radical route. And by radical I don't mean going all ninja, but with an elite squad being tasked with the most secretive missions.

Who would be allowed as a Jedi Shadow?
The Council would decide. Like in the cannon. It's there, isn't it? Better give them something to deliberate on, otherwise they will be just discussing modern poetry and drinking tea.

From a personal point of view, I'd like for Tionne to take that path, again Council permitting IC. Which brings me to another question.

Who is IC fit to be a Jedi Shadow?
Well, from what I've seen, there are a number of characters who aren't exactly pink fluff. People who feel their character wants to take a more proactive, albeit covert role... they should make IC transition smooth and believable. Obviously Oh-I-wanna-be-Jack-Bauer-now one-threaded scenario is not going to work.

What would Jedi Shadows do?
Smack the hell out of darksiders. Make the Inquisitoriate think. Have LD scratch her head and think ''Wow, I can't make a doormat out of a Jedi any more...'' In a way, JS would be anti-Inquisitors. Those select few who had enough of riding jewel-encrusted ponies across the rainbow.

You said that the ultimate, long-term goal is to re-establish the Republic to some extent. This is the way to go. Of course, very few people would know about this. Think of Men in Black. :cool:

Discuss.

Drin Kizael
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:05:40 PM
That's already pretty much where i thought your character was going anyway.

Though for those initiates who are still young, and can be saved from going down that road (looks askance at Corell), it's not something Drin would encourage.

Corell Capstan
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:08:52 PM
OHH BOY :eee

Droo
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:15:21 PM
First of all, I love the idea. Second of all, while I think it suits Loki's perspective of the Jedi and how they should be moving forward, I don't think he's the covert type if he can help it. He's a warrior... not James Bond!

I typoed that James Boned lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:15:25 PM
I rather like this idea, but I can see Drin's side of it as well. Would this maybe something that the older Jedi decide to do? I'm not sure the best way to explain it, but maybe kind of like the X-Men? There's this school for the gifted, with the teachers and instructors having that night job on the side of being superheros, only we've got the Wheel and a select amount of instructors/most knights/masters being shadows? I can certainly see not all of the council being 100% for this, but the necessity of it would outweigh their issues with the concept?

Of course I might be reading this all wrong. If so, just ignore me :)

Droo
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:18:22 PM
ps. First mission for Jedi Shadows: scouting out the place they have Serena locked away, mebbe?

Captain Untouchable
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:20:51 PM
Edit:

So, it took me so long to write that, everyone else hopped in to say the exact same in much shorter sentences. >_<

The only extra coinage I'd like to throw in is the notion that this might give the Inquisitors someone to regularly clash with, rather than having to wait for a convenient on-the-run Jedi to happen by.

I like s'Il's idea of the Council not being 100% for it. What about taking it a step further, and having someone - like s'Il - involved in setting it up, as a sort of pro-Rebel Alliance sect within the Wheel? She's already a Jedi fighting alongside the Rebels, and I would expect the Shadows would do much the same.

Edit 2:

Re: Droo... my only reservation regarding the Serena thing is that it might over-extend the lead in. Maybe say "Hmm, these people were used to scout out where Serena was being held, and they did a good job," in hindsight afterwards, and use that to lead into the Shadows' creation?

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:24:10 PM
Lileana DeVille

Just btw.. LD is not on the Wheel, or out as a Jedi. She is part of the Alliance ;)

Droo
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:36:09 PM
Re: Droo... my only reservation regarding the Serena thing is that it might over-extend the lead in. Maybe say "Hmm, these people were used to scout out where Serena was being held, and they did a good job," in hindsight afterwards, and use that to lead into the Shadows' creation?

You're right, the last thing I'd want to encourage is dragging out any story longer than it has to be... dragged out. I cannot end a sentance on a word like "to" or "be"!

Anyway, yeah, it was just a stab in the dark to offer them a mission idea right off the bat. I'm like... the roleplayer who just keeps giving. :love

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:40:30 PM
Another thought.

We already have Shadow Squadron, so in the interest of not creating any confusion, would it be better to call them something else?

I'm partial to Grey Jedi (or simply Greys), myself.

Drin Kizael
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:48:17 PM
Edit:
Re: Droo... my only reservation regarding the Serena thing is that IT MIGHT OVER-EXTEND THE LEAD IN.

Maybe say "Hmm, these people were used to scout out where Serena was being held, and they did a good job," in hindsight afterwards, and use that to lead into the Shadows' creation?

Dingdingding.

Yes, over-extending the pace of a thread as well as the number of threads one gets involved in has been the biggest pitfall of these forums since pretty much day 1. For more laid back RP, I guess that's not a big deal. But in the middle of a big planned event where we want as many people in the group on the same page as we can get... not so much.

I would agree that should there be any group of shadows formed, it would be as a result of the Serena thing, not a lead in to it. We don't have any yet and we can't transform you into one over night... except Tio who practically is one already, the way she describes herself.

EDIT: And Sil raises a great point. Do we really, really need this when we already have a Watchman... which sounds like pretty much the same thing. Seriously, not every skillset needs it's own title.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 20th, 2010, 06:30:19 PM
Not every skillset needs it's own title, true. However, at least part of the suggestion is that there is some sort of formal group / order / structure of these: something that people are inducted into, appointed to, etc. We've got to call them something, surely?

Cool a term as it is, "Grey Jedi" implies someone who uses the dark side and the light side of the Force. While some "Shadows" may well be Grey Jedi, some may not be; you can be reckless and impulsive without having to be a little bit evil at the same time.

I disagree that a Watchman is "pretty much the same thing". Yoda was the Watchman of Kashyyyk for example, and he's most definately not a Jedi Shadow by any stretch of the imagination. That said, using the Jedi Watchman moniker might be a good way to go - particular given the OOC connotations of the term. :mischief

Edit:

Going a step further, and drawing in Drin's concern about students... what if it's a choice you make once you become an actual Knight? Padawans can still work with the Watchmen, without necessarily having to be a Watchman.

Then we can use some slight variation on the name, and call them a "Knight Watchman", or something (to differentiate from a true "Jedi Watchman")?

Anj
Jul 20th, 2010, 06:33:08 PM
All I know is that I want a part of this. Seeing as it will be a scout, and though it seems like it'll be an "instructor" specialize thing - I feel like my character with his Alliance background could fall in well with all this.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:03:59 PM
I just threw Grey out there as a starting point, since Shadow is already being used. I'm perfectly fine with Watchman too, since it makes less work in having to suss out a name.

Drin Kizael
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:15:10 PM
If the only distinction is that they use the dark and light side, the term Gray Jedi I am pretty sure was already used somewhere, and it makes sense.

It really, really... no really, should not be a move that a Padawan much less an Initiate can make on their own with the blessing of their master or the council. Tapping the dark side on purpose and still expecting to be an agent of the Force in the process is something that should be exceptionally rare, which only a special few can do. It would have less to do with power and more to do with control and experience.

I know how appealing it must sound, but it's contrary to a whole lot of SW canon and should be handled extremely delicately. Any character who has a dark side incident in their past (like Drin) struggles with it for the rest of their lives. Timothy Zahn went into a brilliant analysis of how fucked up Luke's judgment was for most of his adult life as a result of his arrogance in purposely immersing himself in the dark side, thinking he'd come out okay.

Edit sidebar: I actually hate that Zahn had to do that. Specter and Visions were basically written to fix everything that KJA screwed up in the SW universe. Keven Anderson forced the horribly conceived idea from Dark Horse of how a Jedi can so "easily" control both the dark and the light side like he was writing a video game, not a novel. Grrrr!

That said, obviously it can be done. There's plenty of precedent. And these are far more desperate times for Jedi than they've faced in a century or two. And... uhm... Drin might even be able to help show you how to do it.

But he'd need a LOT of convincing IC. A character would have to not only convince him to do it in the first place, they would have to convince him that they can handle it.

Eragon_Dushall
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:15:37 PM
I like it and once my character makes it over to the wheel from the rebellion then i would be all for it and hopefully a member. Especially if Dushall can convince S'Ilancy to be his master and teacher.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:02:08 PM
If the only distinction is that they use the dark and light side, the term Gray Jedi I am pretty sure was already used somewhere, and it makes sense.

It really, really... no really, should not be a move that a Padawan much less an Initiate can make on their own with the blessing of their master or the council. Tapping the dark side on purpose and still expecting to be an agent of the Force in the process is something that should be exceptionally rare, which only a special few can do. It would have less to do with power and more to do with control and experience.

I know how appealing it must sound, but it's contrary to a whole lot of SW canon and should be handled extremely delicately. Any character who has a dark side incident in their past (like Drin) struggles with it for the rest of their lives. Timothy Zahn went into a brilliant analysis of how fucked up Luke's judgment was for most of his adult life as a result of his arrogance in purposely immersing himself in the dark side, thinking he'd come out okay.

Drin, have you actually read the linked Wookieepedia article?

To draw your attention to the most relevant sentence: Though labeled as Shadows, the duty of these Jedi was in fact the opposite as they were defenders of the light side of The Force.

You seem to be arguing against the use of the Dark Side of the Force... which doesn't even remotely relate to the proposal at hand, at all. Sure, people who already use the dark side might be well-suited for the role, but I don't think anyone is proposing that using the dark side is in any way central or essential (or even implied) in the Jedi Shadows' role.

I think you may have your wires crossed somewhere. :huh

Drin Kizael
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:26:12 PM
Okay I misread your comment about using light and dark, Cap. Sorry. I was confused myself because I didn't remember it being in that article either. NM on that point.

Though it does illustrate that Gray Jedi would be a bad name. If that's he conclusion I wrongly jumped to, I guarantee others would, too. I'm thinking Jedi Shadow would be less confusing, now that I really think about it.

Watchman is kind of a pointless distinction in the post-Imperial era. It would make no sense to assign territories. So I can see why you'd want to find something new to distinguish yourself. All labels aside, I could pretty much tell what kind of a character Tio wants to write from the get go... and this doesn't seem like all that big of a swerve for her. And it fits with the conversation I had with her in that thread just the other day.

So, backtracking... it still would not be something that an initiate or padawan would be trained for out of the gate. It still sounds like the kind of position the council (or whoever) assigned after seeing how Knights perform. I stand on that part of my assessment. :)

And Sil would certainly be experienced enough to be a good choice to train candidates for it, too.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:34:41 PM
I'm with Drin on the considerations of folks becoming one of these types of Jedi. It's a dangerous position for any to put oneself into; attacking first, in essence. I imagine a period of observation from the elder Jedi would take place, as it would be a good indicator of who is suitable.

s'Il spends a lot of her time aboard the Dauntless (and most of her time on the Valiant whenever she is visiting the Wheel) so it's a good opportunity for her to take Knights one more Alliance-oriented missions to see how they handle themselves in an environment that isn't a dueling mat.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 20th, 2010, 10:38:17 PM
Watchman is kind of a pointless distinction in the post-Imperial era.

Isn't that true of pretty much any kind of title that the Jedi on the Wheel might want to use?

How many of the people we call Knights and Masters have actually passed the Trials and been ratified by the genuine Jedi Council? How many of our Padawans would actually have been accepted for training under the old Order, given their age?

It's pretty much the status quo in the Wheel to take an old term and use it "wrong". The Jedi desperately want to cling on to echoes of the past; referring to these Jedi Agents as "Watchmen" would be absolutely in keeping with that.

Besides, even under the old Order, it was a largely honourary thing. Going back to the Yoda example: because of his service on the Council, he didn't actually spend that much time actively patrolling or watching over his Sector. Ki-Adi-Mundi and Jorus C'baoth were also Watchmen, but they performed missions all over the galaxy.

In a similar vein, we could always - if we chose to use the term - make these Jedi the "honourary" Watchmen of the key members of the Rebel Alliance. The founding members were Alderaan, Corellia, and Chandrila; those might be good worlds to start with. Then, as we added more Watchmen, we could expand to include Ithor, Mon Calamari, Sullust, and Bothawui; and then (in time) potentially Onderon, Hapes, Kashyyyk, Naboo...

The Wheel is trying to make itself look as grand and genuine as possible. "Pretending" that we've restored the Jedi Watchmen - even if it's in name only - could be one easy way of doing that.

*shrug*

Droo
Jul 20th, 2010, 10:51:26 PM
The founding members were Alderaan, Corellia, and Chandrila; those might be good worlds to start with.

Good luck with that one. o_O

But yes, what your saying makes sense except I think the originally idea has got side-tracked here. Wasn't this about pro-active Jedi missions not keeping watch over specific planets, or matters of the Dark Side? Although I think the latter has been rectified anyway.

Also, speaking of the Wheel trying to make itself as grand as possible... I had no idea the Whaladon was so bloody tiny - 125 meters! In Loki's thread with Inyos, I've described the length of the hangar as 80 yards long. That's nearly two thirds of the whole ship! Does it even have a hangar?

So in that regard, apologies if a lot my posts have made no sense proportionately, I was just completely oblvious to this issue. And now I've got completely sidetracked but for my concluding thought: we're gonna need a bigger boat!

Captain Untouchable
Jul 20th, 2010, 11:20:38 PM
So in that regard, apologies if a lot my posts have made no sense proportionately, I was just completely oblvious to this issue. And now I've got completely sidetracked but for my concluding thought: we're gonna need a bigger boat!

Which is why Vansen has one with a ludicrously large hanger - to live up to your posts. :mneh

But yes, what your saying makes sense except I think the originally idea has got side-tracked here. Wasn't this about pro-active Jedi missions not keeping watch over specific planets, or matters of the Dark Side? Although I think the latter has been rectified anyway.

That's sorta my point. Even the proper Watchmen didn't bother watching over their own specific planets. Given that we're far from "proper", I think we can probably get away with using the term Watchmen without even factoring in the planets/sector/thing at all. The name still conjures up the same illusions, etc.

And to say that it's about proactive missions is perhaps an oversimplification - we've already established numerous times that we think that such things are a good idea. It's about establishing a group to go on those proactive missions - and discussing the name, disposition, etc of that group seems very much integral to the whole thing, to me. :huh

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2010, 01:53:04 AM
I definitely think we have wandered a little far from the point now.

I don't think this is about creating an 'official' sub faction, unless I'm mistaken. More, Tionne looking for like-minds to go on missions, against the Empire and the Dark Side. Her FAQ is fairly self explantary: the characters involved in this would be given go-ahead by the Council to do what they're doing.

It's not like the Council would say, "Oh the Empire needs blowing up, send the Shadows in." :mneh They would contact someone like Tionne and say, look can you pull a mission group together with the other Jedi who are capable of doing this, and get it done. To me, Tionne's first post explains very clearly what this idea is about and is intended to achieve.

With regards to Watchmen etc being pointless titles - these aren't names that all the Jedi (as a whole) are using IC. They are labels we are applying OOC, to establish the dividing lines, but not all the Jedi are consciously aware "Oh, I'm a Consular!" because a lot of them weren't around when these titles were in use. And half of them don't know which one they would be, even if they're aware of the titles meanings.

If you want to write a character, apart from this, who travels around and protects planets.. that is your choice. You can call yourself a Watchman and have it mean anything you want, because the definition of 'Jedi' is currently being stretched and redefined anyway. I don't, however, think its necessary at this point for us to be creating official Watchmen and sending them off to various planets.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:03:57 AM
Okay, I may have a solution.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_investigator

These are actually a subclass of Sentinels. The name does not seem too fancy like Jedi Shadow, but hey... I don't care if you call us/me Ponypuff Princess, I just want to kick butt. :lol

As for the candidates... Knights can be evaluated for this, maybe even have to pass separate trials which would be very difficult to pass. This will rule any newbies going down that path, since it takes A LOT of integrity when brushing against The Dark Side so often.

I'd make my character earn it too. Yeah, she has a specific view of the Force and how she deals with darksiders, but I'd make her work for it. And that's what's fun! :)

Captain Untouchable
Jul 21st, 2010, 04:54:52 AM
I don't, however, think its necessary at this point for us to be creating official Watchmen and sending them off to various planets.

Why do people keep saying this? No one actually suggested that. :|

Acacius Blade
Jul 21st, 2010, 05:12:55 AM
I think Waywatcher hasa nice ring to it. They safeguard the way of the Force, making sure it isn't disturbed or corrupted and ensure others do not stray from it too much. Those that have strayed too far (darksiders) are eliminated if they cannot be saved. They could have a ruthless efficiency about them - the leg is too fargone, cut it off now!

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2010, 06:02:37 AM
I don't, however, think its necessary at this point for us to be creating official Watchmen and sending them off to various planets.

Why do people keep saying this? No one actually suggested that. :|

I'm offering an opinion ;) I seem to recall you wanting more of those from me

Captain Untouchable
Jul 21st, 2010, 06:15:47 AM
Fair enough. :mneh

Stupid, smug, northern bastard. :grumble

Given Drin's earlier confusion though, and what seemed like another misinterpretation of my point, I was worried that I was going hideously wrong with my words somewhere. :uhoh

Droo
Jul 21st, 2010, 06:25:56 AM

Oi! :mad &nbsp;

Captain Untouchable
Jul 21st, 2010, 06:38:50 AM

Oi! :mad &nbsp;

For the record, I was born in Scotland, so I'm more northern than the both ya timorous wee beasties. ;)

Anbira Hicchoru
Jul 21st, 2010, 06:55:34 AM
This is right up Akrabbim's alley, whenever we get his ninja ass onto the Wheel.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2010, 07:06:17 AM
I'm going to include the Dervish on the "stasis ship" in this btw :D

Eragon_Dushall
Jul 21st, 2010, 07:13:32 AM
The name does not seem too fancy like Jedi Shadow, but hey... I don't care if you call us/me Ponypuff Princess, I just want to kick butt. :lol

I'm totally getting a tattoo now!!!

I know I'm new but I'd gladly face whatever trials are deemed worthy. Eragon does have his own demon to tackle right now but it seems like the Jedi Shadows needs to be made up with Jedi who can skirt the edges of the light and dark side.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2010, 12:24:00 PM
Okay, I may have a solution.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_investigator

These are actually a subclass of Sentinels. The name does not seem too fancy like Jedi Shadow, but hey... I don't care if you call us/me Ponypuff Princess, I just want to kick butt. :lol

As for the candidates... Knights can be evaluated for this, maybe even have to pass separate trials which would be very difficult to pass. This will rule any newbies going down that path, since it takes A LOT of integrity when brushing against The Dark Side so often.

I'd make my character earn it too. Yeah, she has a specific view of the Force and how she deals with darksiders, but I'd make her work for it. And that's what's fun! :)

BTW I somehow missed this post.

:thumbup:thumbup

Rhinn Ikthoos
Jul 21st, 2010, 02:00:46 PM
I know I'm new but I'd gladly face whatever trials are deemed worthy. Eragon does have his own demon to tackle right now but it seems like the Jedi Shadows needs to be made up with Jedi who can skirt the edges of the light and dark side.

Eragon's only demon is that he wets himself and soils his robes whenever he faces conflicts.... that and he had narcalepsy

Eragon_Dushall
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:01:34 PM
It's not polite to use your non Jedi character to post un-Jedi like things Ikthoos or should I say Loowrok. Lol

Garen Thane
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:44:52 PM
I know where all this confusion came from in the middle of the thread - at 'Fans we've had a few people over the years try to do a "Grey Jedi" thing, where the users use both light and dark.

We've always managed to remember that there's no grey area between Light and Dark. But s'Il suggested using the name Grey Jedi instead of Jedi Shadows, and that brought about old and unpleasant memories and threw everyone (everyone from before) off track.

I dont' see anything wrong with the term Jedi Shadows. It just sounds like someone who works in the shadows, like a ninja.

I also don't know where this stuff about LD comes from. She's never even seen a Jedi in like, forever. :p Just because she told Akasha they were weak. (and you are... you ALL ARE!) /crazy

*ahem*

Anyway, this is LD. using a different name for the heck of it >_>

Eragon_Dushall
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:54:41 PM
Jedi Shadow i think is appropriate... We wouldn't be Dark Jedi just Jedi who work in the Shadows. Personally i like hidding behind a drapery.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:56:53 PM
Aye; I only mentioned 'grey' because I thought it a good idea to avoid confusion since we already have a Shadow Squadron. Sorry for any confusion caused ^_^;

Put my vote to Tio's Investigator solution :)

Rev Solomon
Jul 21st, 2010, 08:18:59 PM
I vote Investigators as well, both because of the conflict with Shadow Squadron, and because it lends an air of gentlemanly secrecy to the group. It's also a great counterpoint to the Inquisitors.

Scene: a man wakes up in a chair in a dark room, bewildered, and finds himself surrounded by cloaked and hooded figures. "Who are you?" he asks.

One figure steps into the light and throws down his hood. "We're called the Investigators," he says. "And we'd like to ask you a few questions."

Captain Untouchable
Jul 21st, 2010, 08:49:03 PM
Why else do you think we were assigned to her if not to find the killer? Protection is a job for local security, not Jedi. It's overkill, Master. Investigation is implied in our mandate.

I think this pretty much sums up why Jedi Investigators is a good name: not because it's Anakin-endorsed... but because Anakin, and the general tone, seems to represent a lot of what we're trying to encompass. Here, we have a slightly headstrong, slightly reckless Jedi who wants to go beyond the specific letter of rules and regulations, to do what he feels needs to be done in order to achieve their goals. Its the proactive agent versus the reactive guardian; which is exactly the kind of thing we're talking about with this.

Also, with it sounding less elite and aggressive, it does sound like the sort of thing that might be a bit more "Padawan friendly", if one of the Knights decides to bring them along.

Further to that: having the Rebels approach the Jedi for assistance - perhaps on a specific event / mission (to do with the superweapon, perhaps?) - and having the Council respond that they will "investigate" the matter sounds like exactly the sort of infuriatingly non-committal response that one would expect.

:thumbup

Eragon_Dushall
Jul 22nd, 2010, 07:25:37 AM
I don't think the term investigator would fit a group of Jedi as such. In fact most Jedi were investigators. Yes Anakin was right in that protection itself was overkill but that was a different circumstance. If you look at the past missions they went through as well as future missions most Jedi went through there was some form of investigation. The Shadows were completely different.

Look at the article on the shadows again. To be a "Investigator" there would have to be a crime or evidence of a crime about to be committed. Then the Jedi would investigate the matter and either bring to justice the criminal or stop them before they commit the crime. A shadow goes off and looks for the dark side without any signs of it being there. They see the darkside everywhere and will exterminate it no matter what the cost. It says in the article that they did have to watch themselves because what they considered being darkside qualities wasn't exactly shared by the counsel.

These shadow agents were ruthless when it came to exterminating the darkside. They went after it while the rest of the Jedi waited for it. They would infiltrate a group of dark Jedi or sith and hide undercover until the moment was right. That's why it wasn't allowed for Jedi padawans to join. It would have been to dangerous to expose them to it.

I think something other then Investigator should be used if no one is likes shadow... Maybe "Hunters". just a shot.

Acacius Blade
Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:26:54 AM
To be a "Investigator" there would have to be a crime or evidence of a crime about to be committed.

Not necessarily. I remember doing plenty of math investigations at school. You can also carry out clinical investigations. There doesn't have to be an air of official, law-enforcement-ism to it. And after all, it's just a name.

I do agree that it's not the most attractive name given the job description.

Jenny recently mentioned she's starting a force-wielding assassin - a dervish. I instantly thought of the class from the Nightfall expansion for Guild Wars. That also had a Paragon class I believe - I think thats a cool name and it's not too far removed from 'Paladin' who are basically holy crusaders - a nice yin to the Inquisitions yang.

And just to throw some other labels out there, what about Templars (awesome Starcraft reference as well!) or Justicar (from various fiction sources including WoW, Warhammer 40,000 and WhiteWolf)?

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:28:15 AM
In fact most Jedi were investigators.

*scratches head*

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_ace
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Watchman
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Healer
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_archaeologist
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_historian
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_librarian
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_geologist (wtf lol)

If you look at the past missions they went through as well as future missions most Jedi went through there was some form of investigation.

Yes, but we are not trying to play Anakin. Nor make it possible for anybody to play Anakin-like character. During the Clone Wars, Anakin did more field fighting than covert operations. Obviously, being the most famous Jedi at that time made it difficult for him to infiltrate anything, no? :p
It's like Barack Obama trying to pose as homeless. Nobody buys it.

They would infiltrate a group of dark Jedi or sith and hide undercover until the moment was right.

I don't like this idea. Why? Because very very very very few RPers could pull this off and make it believable(me not included, for the record). There are a few practical problems; if I am to have a proper cover and earn their trust, I would have to kill in the way they do, by using the Dark Side. And once I'm down that lane... I might never return.
The only person who can effectively do this is Cade Skywalker. :lol

Lemme sum up my general idea, regardless to what Wookieepedia says on Shadows or Investigators.

This is a Jedi who works behind the scenes. Missions may include stealing a holocron from the Galactic museum, secretly guarding a person of importance, infiltration into various Imperial establishments, negotiating supplies with the galactic underworld. It should be a person who easily blends in with the crowd, knows how to cover their tracks and track others, has the ability to think both deductively and inductively, has people skills and the ability to think quick and devise solutions. Resourcefulness and cunningness are a prerequisite.

When it comes to Force powers, this Jedi should have mastered Force Cloak, making themselves virtually invisible. While physical side of Force powers is not overly important, mentalism is. Immunity against mind tricks and illusions is often useful against darksiders.

How about lightsaber skills? Something along the lines of Soresu or Makashi. Djem So is far to agressive as is Vaapad. Niman is too flimsy.

Philosophy? Prefreably this - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unifying_Force
Makes one less prone to temptation from the Dark Side. And of course, gives a wider perspective to see the big picture.

I would really like to point out that this kind of Jedi is NOT fueled by aggression. Due to their line of work, they cross path with darksiders more often. They are calculated and cool-headed pragmatists. They don't only bash, they trick.

So yes, this is what I had in mind. Sorry if my first post came off as me wanting to smother and smear Inquisitors. I mean, I do ^____^ but I don't intend to have Tionne actively roam the galaxy in search of a deathmatch.

Eragon_Dushall
Jul 22nd, 2010, 01:15:18 PM
Wow you really tore me a new one... I kinda liked it. ;-)

Anyways... my main point was that any Jedi can investigate. But that the Shadows are something completely different that not all Jedi would be capable of.

And just because you like to be bad doesn't mean that every Jedi would end up corrupt if they infiltrate a sith group. There was a Jedi in the Clone Wars that did that and he didn't end up too bad. Cant find his name though... at work and all that.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 29th, 2010, 05:53:28 PM
*bump*

So - conclusion?

I'd like to start stirring my character that way, if everyone agrees.

Droo
Jul 29th, 2010, 06:04:59 PM
As it stands, I see absolutely no reason why you should hesitate any longer before implementing this into Tionne's story - it suits her down to the ground! However, I don't see any reason to give the role a special name, or turn into another sub-division of Jedi, or add any other unneccessary bells or whistles onto it, it is what it is. Definitions and stipulations just make things needlessly complicated and you'll only end up waiting even longer while we all debate every little detail. If anything, I'd say it's just an extension of the Jedi Sentinel class and leave it at that.

Let's say Tionne just approaches the council about her role, and is given the power to recruit other Jedi into her team(pending the approval of the council), suitable characters who are fit to go on these kinds of missions. And if it's that important, you guys can always come up with a suitable name for the team at a later date but for now I'd just enjoy roleplaying it out, personally. :)

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 29th, 2010, 06:08:09 PM
I agree with you, Droo. I'll approach the council with the idea, once the Council is actually formed IC. :lol

Drin Kizael
Jul 29th, 2010, 07:42:14 PM
Let's just say it is. If we wait for the thread to progress to that point, it will never happen. As much as I'd love to actually play things out before jumping ahead, don't let us hold you up. We already assumed it for one thread already anyway.

The 3 voting leaders are Drin, Daria, and Navaria. Solomon is our mediator. He's there to keep debates on targets to prevent us from going in endless circles like the old Council always seemed to do. Loki is not technically on the council, but he's an advocate of sorts. He's there to be a point of contact for Jedi to reach us if we're not accessible and to let us know about issues that arise.

Corell Capstan
Jul 31st, 2010, 02:39:39 PM
You should just go ahead with this IC, like Drin said.

Jason Na'moda
Aug 4th, 2010, 03:24:35 PM
Yo! Might be late in but I wholly support this sorta thing. Go all X-Force, it's epic. I'll also sign Jason up for it, he's a warrior through and through, and has a mission to find and destroy any Sith he comes across.

Daria Nytherciria
Aug 7th, 2010, 07:55:19 AM
I think with Tionne being away this idea has been a little quiet.

Jason Na'moda
Aug 7th, 2010, 12:18:52 PM
We should wake it up