PDA

View Full Version : Writing critique please?

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 17th, 2010, 03:56:19 PM
Instead of asking for an evaluation of any of my characters, I would like some feedback on my writing. In the past year or so, I have fallen in and out of love with my own ability to write too many times to mention. It has felt as if I have lost the spark of creativity that originally fuelled me to write tonnes of characters, in tonnes of storylines. I had thought it might just be a side-effect of growing up, getting jaded with the world, but the rest of you don't seem to have been affected :lol

I have been consciously trying to improve on my writing, especially with the 'post every damn day' clause in effect... but I would really like to know what you think - from a technical standpoint - I am doing right or wrong. Where can I improve? Please don't hold back for fear of offending. I appreciate any contribution, from you fine set of chaps and chapettes.

(If you would like to give any feedback on any particular characters, that is of course welcome too.)

Sanis Prent
Jul 17th, 2010, 11:57:46 PM
You do what I do, and it varies from character to character how much heart you put into things, largely depending on how you feel about where you're going, and if you're inspired. I've really enjoyed your Aaron stuff lately, and probably most of all your writing as Jamo is just absolutely gold to read every single time. Sanya Tagge has also been really interesting of late.

I'm kind of waiting for you to have a change with Barton. It's like he's waiting for something, or you're waiting for something and in a holding pattern with him. Sometimes it feels a little dialed in, and I think mainly its due to just needing a push towards something more Barton-focused. I'd really like to see him have to face his past Jedi obligations, honestly, because there's a lot you've written into him that's him saying a lot by not saying much, and I've enjoyed that at times.

Vega confuses the shit out of me and I think that's a good deal by design. Really interested to see what you do with him.

Those are off the top of my head for now.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 18th, 2010, 12:50:22 AM
Thanks. I have had trouble with Barton probably most of all, so I'm not surprised that is noticeable.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 18th, 2010, 01:38:44 AM
Like Charley says, there are some characters you really click with. I too have enjoyed reading Jamo lately, and as I said last night, Arriana is already one of my favourite characters to read. With some characters, you manage to get in the groove, and every word is spot on.

Given that things seem to get even better when you have a huge posting zoom on one particular character, I wonder if perhaps you're struggling to get into the zone with certain characters. When you're really on form - Callidus in our Chir'daki threads is a prime example - you write as your characters; the way you use language conjures up as much imagery as the actual words do. When you're a little off though, it's more like you're writing about them: and again, I'll recycle Charley's example, and point at Barton.

I'm not sure what you can do about that, or what it is you already do. I do know you take musical cues a lot; but perhaps there are films or tv shows - or one of those bazillion books you have - with characters in that remind you a little of the guys you're struggling with? Something like that, to spark your imagination with ideas for the character, might help you "find your inner Barton" again, or something.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. :uhoh

Sanya Tagge
Jul 18th, 2010, 03:40:36 AM
It does. I have always taken a lot of inspiration from books and music but I haven't really found anything new and inspiring lately. Maybe that's it. I need to find the OST for Barton Henning :lol

Kira Draykin
Jul 18th, 2010, 07:27:02 AM
I'm not the person to critique someones writing considering I'm a horrible writer.

But I do have to say I like your style and I really like some of the char you have post over the years that made me go who wrote that? I mean you make your charcters very different people and your good at adapting your style to show that they are different.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 18th, 2010, 10:23:52 AM
You are a great writer, Jenny! I have to agree with Blade that you always manage to make your characters very different and change your writing style to fit the characters (or make them unique). To pull an older example, Jude and Gabriel from WoD. Their POV are unique to each other and fit the characters perfectly.

I agree with some of whats been said about Barton, but I know what you're going through because I sort of am dealing with it with Jane Starborn. I think you'll hit your stride with him if you don't try to force it.

I think your writing at best is inspired, and at worst is merely entertaining. That is to say, you're great.

I hope the Grace/Dasq arc gets going once again because I have to know how it ends! Their interactions were fraught with romantic tension, which can be hard to write. :)

Droo
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:35:37 PM
I think you are a truly gifted writer, technically and creatively. Your characterization in particular is exceptional. When you create a new character, it is fully-realised and jumps to life from the text.

It begins with your name choices, which is something I've always envied, they are always perfect for the character and just sound delicious. Then, even in your first post with a new character the personality is developed, the character has a unique voice - in both dialogue and narrative - and comes complete with a back catalogue of nuanced ticks, prejudices, and expressions. Again, it is a gift I wished I possessed, for I don't seem to be able to find my characters until some time into their existance and often, I don't grasp them at all and they end up falling by the wayside. So kudos to you on that!

And ironically, if I have one criticism it probably sits with Corell. Personally, I'd like to see you do more with her, explore her background some or push her boundaries because at the moment, while I think its a great premise for a character onboard the Wheel she is underdeveloped but that is simply due to the amount of "screen time" she's been given. And considering the huge cast of characters you have to juggle, that is easily forgiven.

Jamo Jakatta
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:10:31 PM
Droo, such flattery.. :3

Seriously, thanks for the tips everyone. I know there are certain characters that I neglect and a knock on effect of that is naturally going to be that they get less development. I think I just need to find some focus and goals for them - Barton, Corell, maybe a couple of others - and hopefully they can become as virbant as characters like Jamo and Sanya, who I can write at the drop of a hat and have a blast doing so.

Drin Kizael
Jul 19th, 2010, 09:10:53 PM
My gushing admiration of your writing is well documented.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 19th, 2010, 09:16:29 PM
Seriously, thanks for the tips everyone. I know there are certain characters that I neglect and a knock on effect of that is naturally going to be that they get less development. I think I just need to find some focus and goals for them - Barton, Corell, maybe a couple of others - and hopefully they can become as virbant as characters like Jamo and Sanya, who I can write at the drop of a hat and have a blast doing so.

Your choice of words fills me with gigglement and glee. :mischief

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 20th, 2010, 04:10:47 PM
Ahem, I'm not going to write up a paragraph of criticism because those posting before me did such a wonderful job. However, I am not without something to say. ;)

You are the first person I RPed with, like ever.
At first, I was really insecure about my writing and language in general, since I'm not a native speaker. And yes, there was a huge difference in quality of posts between you and me, but you still RPed with lil' me, notwithstanding.
And after two years of adventures in the SW universe, I can say I've really learned from your example, from the vivid vocabulary you use to your ability to intertwine intrinsic with your character's environment.

I'd like to thank you for everything you did for me, for all the advice, stories we weaved together and hope we will continue to do so in the future. You know, I never told you this, but there were times when I woke up in the morning(having posted last in one of our threads) and scamper off to the computer, even before I go for a wee. :lol
And when I see you've replied, I squeal like a chipmunk. :)

Dai
Jul 20th, 2010, 04:14:48 PM
Droo is right.

Your characterization is pretty damn exceptional. Each character is so distinct and real that they keep the story's very character-driven, and enjoyable.

I really like Vega, but I think in the time I've been here I made that terribly obvious. Vega is the darkest, coolest, scariest character of them all. Even back when the Darth were in an abudance and ther ewas a Darth Verias (sp?? Where did he go?? I miss him), Darth Decepis, Darth ____, and Tear destroying whole stormtrooper crews, I always had a thing for Vega. His story has been a bit choppy as of late, but I'm sure that because the writer is busy with all the other characters - however, I like where he is going. So, I'm cheering on the sideline just waiting to see what'll happen with him.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:53:35 PM
s'Il is helping to bring Vega's story back on track at the moment, and I have been giving him cameos here and there. Hopefully there will be more of him in the future :)

Tio.. :love

Dai
Jul 20th, 2010, 06:22:24 PM
I especially like that thread with the Host.

Acacius Blade
Jul 21st, 2010, 03:23:15 PM
I think you're crap.

In all seriousness, I don't read enough of other peoples stuff which I really do apologise to everyone for. I'm slowly getting back into things so the reading will come with that I guess. The biggest problem is 'going back' and playing catchup, but I will make the effort to see what people are doing - I can't very well expect them to do the same otherwise, can I!? Thats why I'm looking forward to this dervish of yours - I can start the journey with them from the beginning.

From what I have read, I have to agree with what Droo said in particular - your characters are so well realised that they do not seem like constructions at all, but someone that has developed naturally, very slowly over a long time. You're characters are the Scotch Whisky's of 'Fans.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 22nd, 2010, 02:25:07 AM
Peter, it's crazy that we haven't posted together more. We will definitely have to fix that.