PDA

View Full Version : Resilience [open]

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:28:30 PM
Deep in the metallic belly of the Whaladon, Thanewulf endeavoured to train. In the absence of an actual sparring partner, she was sentenced to the usual blaster deflection training sequence; the vizier of her helmet covered her eyes, depriving her of sight. Having to rely on the Force solely, the redhead extended her senses in all directions, palpating the remotes through the field. With a snap-hiss, the orange blade flared up, illuminating the ascetic interior of the cargo bay.

Thanewulf then raised her hand and first shots came flying by, only to be deflected in a true manner of a skilled Soresuist. Her wrist twirled to produce powerful blocks, the clash of rays with the scintillating pillar of energy producing electric hums that tore the stale air. The rain of blasts soon intensified, forcing Tionne to quickly shift weight from one leg to another, twisting and crouching to protect oneself from the incoming shower of red beams.

With mind clear as the lakes of Alderaan, Thanewulf excelled at her chosen Form, flashes of light dancing across durasteel walls. A grunt was let out here and there as both endurance and precision were tested. Small droplets of sweat formed across her skin, soaking the dark cloth of a tanktop covering her torso. With ginger hair up in a high pony tail, a slightly faded tattoo of the Jedi emblem was visible at the back of her neck. It reminded of times bygone, yet gave a sense of belonging.

Akasha Khan
Jul 4th, 2010, 05:09:10 PM
Akasha was still finding her way around the Whaladon, whose corridors were deceptively tortuous for what was really a medium-sized transport. The Jedi had done a number on the old freighter, converting cargo bays to sparring rooms and utility closets to meditation chambers, forcing some corridors to be rerouted entirely. She was still trying to determine whether there was some order to the madness or whether they were simply that disorganized.

The black-furred Orryxian was exploring the cargo deck, her bare feet padding silently on the deckplates, when she heard the unmistakable tang of blaster fire. Immediately she went on alert, and the smooth cylinder of her Echani fighting staff found its way into her paw.

She sidled along the bulkhead wall toward the door to the chamber where the noise was coming from. With a stabilizing breath, she thumbed the control pad by the door and whirled inside, ready to face whatever intruder was threatening her new home -

The automated sentry drone that was spraying Tionne with blaster fire turned to face its new target and spat several bolts her way in quick succession. With a yell, Akasha rolled out their path and scrambled to her feet. The cylinder in her paw expanded in both directions into a seamless white staff. A blaster bolt pinged off the end of it and left it vibrating.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:04:51 PM
At the very instant another blade flared to life, Thanewulf turned a full circle. A few blasts were deflected in the process, while the vizier of the helmet was pulled up. A look of surprise plastered Tionne's face, as she had not seen a Orryxian in a while. The species were not a frequent sight in the galactic melting pot, let alone with the Jedi. Smiling, the Knight signalled the remotes to cease fire.

''I'm sorry about those. Should have put up some sort of sign - Heavy blaster deflection training in progress.'' said the redhead, then took a few steps forward towards the feline, hand extended as a mark of good intentions. An offer was to be made.
''Care to join me? Droid probes are no match to a living, breathing sparring partner.''

Akasha Khan
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:31:25 PM
It took Akasha a moment to resolve what she was seeing - that the small group of spherical drones was not an attacking force but some sort of training simulation, and that, like a clumsy kitten stumbling into a vornskr fight, she'd just interrupted a Jedi knight's exercises.

It took her another moment to realize that she wasn't being flayed from Core to Outer Rim for her impertinence and, what was more, that she was being invited to spar.

She blinked her large, yellow-green eyes and managed to lower her hackles, though her tail was still an embarrassingly wild explosion of black fur. Desperately, the Orryxian tried to recover some of her dignity. "Ah... I'd be honored, Master Knight. But I'm afraid I don't have a lightsaber."

She deftly spun her Echani staff (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Handmaiden%27s_staff) into a resting position in the crook of her elbow. She didn't understand its technology, but she'd become very proficient at using it. When she'd entered, it had been an unassuming cylinder only a little longer than her paw. Now it was a slightly tapered staff nearly five feet long, made of a lustrous material that looked like porcelain. It was astonishingly durable - the blaster bolt had barely left a mark on its glossy white surface - but it surely wouldn't stand up to a lightsaber blade.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:29:40 PM
''Yet you manage to deflect incoming blasts with astonishing speed. Most interesting.'' the redhead remarked, flashing a bemused smile. A fingers was pressed against full lips as she inspected the Orryxian intently, admiring the innate features of a hunter nature graced her species with. As a xenobiologist, Thanewulf had only seen the feline race in books.

''Most padawans I've seen usually miss first few blows, resulting in a blister or two. But not you...'' she trailed off, bright blade retracting into the electrum hilt with a click. Giving the cat-like creature a scrutinizing look, she allowed herself the luxury of approaching her, hoping not to get clawed to death.

''And the thing you wield...'' the ginger-haired woman began, pointing to the weapon in Orryxian's hands - ''...the Echani staff, is the next closest thing to a lightsaber. Where, in the name of the Force, did you acquire such a tool?''

Akasha Khan
Jul 6th, 2010, 02:12:59 PM
Akasha was pretty sure the deflection had been more luck than anything else. Maybe the Force had been guiding her flailing limbs, but she wasn't sure she could do it again on command. Which made her wonder if the woman was making fun of her or...

She seemed friendly enough. The Orryxian followed Tionne's eyes down to her staff. "It was a gift," she said. "And a fairly long story. I'm... er... sorry for interrupting you. I'm new to the Wheel. Actually, I've been looking for somewhere to train outside the usual youngling classes."

The Orryxian couldn't quite keep the disdain out of her voice. As far as she was concerned, she was already far beyond the skill of most of the wet-eared recruits smacking wooden sticks against each other. She was fairly certain none of them had ever been chained to a two-hundred-kilo Barabel in an arena deathmatch.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:32:43 PM
Simply nodding, Tionne began to circle the Orryxian, the brilliant clockwork of her mind assessing and estimating. Inborn agility, the dexterity with which she spun and swung the Echani staff, lightning-like reflexes... it made her a fair candidate for individual training. Unlike the rest of the clumsy bunch who liked to think themselves as the future of the Jedi Order, this one was no beginner. The feline had spirit, defiance and pride in the way she stood, and the rarely seen readiness for action.

''Are you sure you are looking for somewhere, not someone,hm?'' the Knight provoked, both ginger eyebrows raised. Taking a step forward, the Jedi leaned into her personal space, lips stretching into a wry smile.
''It looks to me you need somebody to tell you how bad you are at balance. Hopping around too much... and the way you hold the staff - all wrong.''
Tionne's smile widened, silver eyes taunting the Orryxian.
''I bet I could knock it out of your hands and spank you with it. No lightsaber.'' she challenged, smile transforming into a lop-sided, daring grin.

Akasha Khan
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:44:01 PM
Akasha tilted her head and laid back one ear. It was a sucker's bet, she was sure of it, but it seemed the human was offering to show her something advanced. That was worth the inevitable beatdown she was about to suffer.

And there was always a chance she'd surprise this smug Jedi, she thought with a toothy grin.

"If you say so, Master Knight," the Orryxian replied, and she spun her staff into a defensive posture as her tail danced like a cobra.

She heard Granoi's voice in her memory: Light on your feet. Don't grip too hard, that makes it easier for your opponent to disarm you.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:12:52 PM
With a spark in her slate-coloured eyes, Tionne placed the hilt aside, honouring their agreement. The boots were removed as well, for the sake of mobility. Most Jedi thought of a lightsaber as essential in combat, but Thanewulf's Master was cunning enough to teach her how to fight without one. By far the mightiest weapon was the mind - all Jedi would learn of this, the easy or the hard way.

''Well... what are you waiting for? Attack me!'' she encouraged upon assuming a defensive stance resembling something you would see in a brawl on Nar Shadda. Barefooted and with fists placed close to her face, the Knight remained mindful of the Orryxian's footing. Much could be deciphered from movement of one's legs, even predict; lacking firmness in her lower part due to her slender body structure, the Jedi identified it as the feline's prime weakness.

Akasha Khan
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:26:37 PM
Akasha straightened up and gave her a reproachful look as only felines can. "Be careful what you wish for."

With no more preamble, she rushed at the Jedi with her staff back across her shoulders, and, when she was still a couple strides away, she punched at the air - or so it appeared. She had just sent a directed Force push straight Tionne's far foot, meaning to spread her stance and force her off-balance. The very next moment Akasha swept out with her staff in a long, graceful arc to hook the Jedi's near foot out from under her and send her tumbling hard to the floor.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:52:17 AM
Overconfidence was the fall of many great Jedi, as was the underestimation of the adversary. For the time being, Thanewulf was content with the Orryxian falling into that trap. Showing no resistance, she let Akasha knock her off her feet; rolling across the floor, the Knight landed in a crouch.

Using the Force to push herself off the floor to her feet, she once again assumed the defensive stance, eager to see Khan's next move.
''You haven't hit hard enough. I'm still standing.'' the redhead taunted, motioning her to strike again. This time she was going to teach her a lesson.

Akasha Khan
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:12:16 PM
Akasha felt emboldened by her victory, small though it was. She'd meant to impress the knight with a low-impact takedown, but if she wanted harder...

The Orryxian pursued her prey, leading with the end of her staff probing like a spear to keep the knight out of arm's reach, and the moment Tionne moved to swat a jab aside, Akasha spun with the staff's momentum, driving the other end with the full force of her elbow toward Tionne's exposed ribcage.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:34:36 PM
A master Soresuist knew how to avoid a blow, no matter how sudden it was. The staff had two end, both of them being possibly utilized in a single blow. In a sense, the Echani staff was similar to a double-bladed lightsaber, the prime weapon of Form IV users.

Heavily relying on the Force, Thanewulf let herself sense the feline's intentions; her muscles reacted in accordance in lightning-like reflexes, swaying the entirety of her upper body to the side. With nothing to jab against, the end of the staff slid past Tionne's torso and so did the Orryxian, powered by her own tremendous momentum. With her other hand, the Knight slapped Khan at the back of her head, administering a flop that was oft used on children rather than on adults. Spinning on her heel, the redhead hopped to the side, hands clasping behind her back.

''You try too hard.'' commented the Coruscanti, calm and composed.

Akasha Khan
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:03:11 PM
Akasha's ears rang with the impact of having all her momentum driven straight into the floor. By some luck she'd avoided falling on her staff, which clattered to the deck and began rolling away. Remembering the terms of the challenge, she leapt to her feet and called the staff back into her paw before Tionne could seize it.

"You said hit harder," she groused, and she immediately regretted letting the knight see she'd rankled her.

She circled Tionne lazily as she regained her balance and tested the knight with a few jabs. "So what are the rules here?" she asked cannily. "You want to take my staff. What do I need to do? Besides fall on my tail for your amusement."

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:46:07 PM
A ginger brow was lifted as Tionne leaned in, her upper body deviating verticality by a few degrees.
''Since when am I the one whom you should listen? If I told you to eat poop, would you? Hm?'' the Knight taunted sardonically, eyeing the Orryxian -''You also intend to ask your opponent about rules? Have them jot 'em down?''

Thanewulf began circling the feline in a broad stride, hands still clasped behind her back. The only way to learn was by wanting something badly and then failing. By the Force, Tionne knew how this felt.
''I don't want your staff. You think I want it. And by it, you act in a way to prevent me from taking it. Weapons don't kill people - other people do.'' the redhead lectured briefly, then stopped, letting her hands slide down from the small of her back.

''What you need to do? There's nothing you need to do. Only what you want to do, currently.'' the Coruscanti-born voiced mysteriously, dipping her head in an appreciative bow.

Akasha Khan
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:23:15 PM
What a load of double-talk! If that was all there was to it, she should just take her staff and walk off. What good was a training bout without some sort of...

Akasha's train of thought jumped to another set of tracks.

"What I want to do," she repeated, still locked with Tionne in a mutual orbit. "What I want is to be trained as a Jedi. To grow in the power of the Force. I want to be more tomorrow than I am now, and even more the next day."

She advanced again, more cautiously this time, thrusting high, low, then high again before aiming at her middle with a backswing.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:49:08 PM
Instead of moving aside, Thanewulf placed a hand between her chest and the incoming staff, palm facing towards the feline. The Force created an invisible, albeit impermeable barrier, stopping the weapon from advancing in its swing. Locking her eyes with the Orryxian's luminous orbs, Tionne opted to make a point. Again.

''Ah.'' she spat out knowingly - ''But to do this, you need not to learn when and how to swing. Any idiot can strike. But to learn how and when not to swing, yet hit.'' the Knight held forth, then nudged the stuff away.

''Since you are so zealous to learn, I will teach you, if you want. Let's just hope that saying - curiosity killed the cat - would not be applicable here.'' the redhead said, lips stretching into a slightly cocky, lop-sided smile.

Akasha Khan
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:17:21 PM
Akasha breathed heavily from exerting against Tionne's invisible defense. She held her staff away from the knight, a passive position, staring at her with wide, liquid eyes. The enormity of what she had just said was almost enough to make the Orryxian forget that she'd been called a cat.

"You will teach me?" she said. "You'll take me on as your appren-- as your padawan?"

Her tail began dancing with elation. Whatever deity she'd pleased to arrange this happy meeting, she'd need to pray to it more often.

She gave her staff a small shake, and it slid back into a cylinder just half again longer than her paw.

"If you are to be my master, don't you think we ought to know each other's names?"

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:16:41 PM
''Apprentice, padawan, student, resident floor-mop... Call it whatever you want. But yes, I will teach you.'' the Knight confirmed with a nod. The bubbly attitude would eventually wear off, Thanewulf hoped, upon fully experiencing the peculiar life the Jedi led. For the time being, she would have to cope with this toxic dose of enthusiasm and exhilaration.

''Tionne Thanewulf.'' the Coruscanti Jedi introduced herself upon approaching the Orryxian, right hand extended for a handshake.
''Jedi Knight, Watchman of Corellia. Former. Now I just watch the grass grow.'' she added cynically, considering to omit the title in the future.

Akasha Khan
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:34:28 PM
Akasha stepped forward and grasped Tionne's arm at the wrist in the Orryxian fashion, flexing her claws just enough to let her master feel the needle points, a gesture of respect among a species that still disemboweled live prey.

"Akasha Khan," she replied. "And... I have a title that doesn't really mean anything anymore. And, ah..." Her ears twisted back, but there was still a glint of mischief in her eyes when she added, "I am not a cat, Master Thanewulf."

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:11:17 PM
A ginger brow was lifted at the greeting gesture; Thanewulf probably knew everything about Orryxian physiology, but nothing on their culture and customs. They were simply not a well-travelled kind, their contacts with off-worlder's was limited and when it did happen, it was mostly hostile spacers hunting them down and turning into pets. Nevertheless, Tionne memorized the handshake, the first of many to come.

''I know you are not a cat. As a matter of fact, you are a felinoid ,together with Cathar,Trianii... An Orryxian.'' the redhead asserted, waving her index finger in the air.
''Xenobiology is my hobby. Well, I do tend to hold a PhD in it. Which does all sorts of terrible things to my ego. But the fact is - I've only seen your species in books. I imagined you'd be more...fluffy.'' she admitted, scratching her chin.

Akasha Khan
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:06:28 PM
"Maybe you're thinking of highland Orryxians," Akasha replied. "They're pretty much all fluff. Inside and out, actually."

Nevertheless, she was impressed. Most people didn't know Orryxians from Wookiees... or they used some kind of damned pet name for them. It was a dangerous mistake to make for anything made out of meat.

"I'm from the Chau'un Fe mountains (http://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/images/3/31/Orryxia.jpg) near the equator. Much warmer there."

She smiled and rubbed at the short, soft fur that covered her arms, but then a shadow passed over her face as she recalled the natural beauty of her homeworld - the beauty she was now likely never to see again.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:12:25 PM
Most remarkable how all living beings adjusted to external factors such as climate, Thanewulf mused, remembering how intently she read about evolutionary biology back at college. One could wonder if the Jedi would promptly adapt to new conditions pervading the galaxy or become extinct and exist only in children's bedtime stories. The Order would either reconcile or fade away; Tionne would ensure the latter would not happen, actively engaging in training a student.

''Maybe we can visit it someday. I've never been to Orryxia.'' said the Knight, then called upon her saber, clipping it to her waist.

''So, when do you want to start?'' she asked, clasping hands behind her back.

Akasha Khan
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:29:11 PM
The question caught Akasha off-guard. "Well... naturally I will submit to your judgment, Master... but I'd like to start as soon as possible."

There was no keeping the eagerness out of her voice.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 18th, 2010, 04:18:52 PM
''I'd prefer a few things, even before we start.'' Thanewulf warned, pointing a finger in the air to stress a point -
''First and foremost, I was never too fond of the title Master. For a number of reasons, that is. In your case, you calling me that would imply a relationship between us that is presumed by me being human and you being Orryxian solely. Hence, a simple Tionne would suffice.'' she explained, then clasped hands behind her back. Once the issue of title was out of the way, there were more pressing matters at hand.

''Also, expect to be pelted with literature. If you don't know how to read, you will learn.''
A brief pause ensued, as the Coruscanti remembered giving this speech to her former student, over more than a quarter of a century ago. The last part would be changed, merely for the sake of times they were living in.

''You may do whatever you want. Drink, smoke, nibble on deathsticks, mate with whoever your heart desires. Every being is entitled to their freedom. However, if any of those jeopardize any other lives then your own, I will decapitate you.'' said the ginger-haired Jedi, sternly eyeing her feline counterpart.

Akasha Khan
Jul 18th, 2010, 05:25:08 PM
By now, Akasha was fairly certain she didn't know what to expect from the Jedi. When she'd first set foot on the Whaladon, she'd encountered a young specimen so strict and rigid she thought he'd snap in a light breeze. Tionne seemed as far removed from him as one sentient being possibly could be from another. And while such a call to freedom was exhilarating, it was also rather daunting. She'd never been given such freedom before. Not that she was concerned about following the rules - quite the opposite. Only now she wasn't even sure which boundaries to push. Maiur's mane, what would she do with herself without a stern overseer to torment?

She tilted her head and eyed her new master, fascinated by this creature who claimed to be a Watchman but spurned the rule of authority almost as much as she did.

"We do not have Jedi on Orryxia," she said, somewhat distantly. "There are mystics and seers who claim to serve our matron saint but instead serve the lord who promises them the most gemstones. I have a vague idea, but I want to hear it from you, Tionne. What are the Jedi? What is our purpose? Why do we have this power?"

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 19th, 2010, 11:36:20 AM
The question Khan posed was one of those requiring a long-winded reply, answered over aromatic smoke emanating from cindering herbs in her pipe. And thus sat Thanewulf, onto one of many crates littering the hangar and reached into her left pocket, pulling out a wooden, ornamented spout-like tube. She hung it from her mouth, wrapping her lips around its tip and then lit its contents. Before even attempting at a summary of what the Jedi were, Tionne drew in a lungful, puffing thick white smoke through her nose. Slate eyes then found Akasha, deeply peering into those saffron-coloured irises.

''Before I speak of the Jedi, let me start with something far more essential. The Force pervades the entire universe. Think of it as glue that keeps cycle of life bound together - one way of viewing it. Another, more scientifically accurate explanation would be that The Force is an energy field, a resonance unique to all particles everywhere. It occurs naturally, whether it would be in living beings or inanimate objects, even astronomical phenomena like stars and planets.'' the Knight explained patiently, pulling her legs up to sit in a lotus position, hand now holding the pipe.

''Each and every creature have a Force signature, their own echo in the frequency of the Force. However, some of us have the ability to warp this echo, twist the energy and let it manifest in reality. This ability lies within the midichlorians - minute organelles populating our cells which are usually in charge of transforming foodstuffs into energy. Ironically enough, Force-sensitivity is nothing but a genetic flaw where midichlorians have the ability to latch onto the Force and control it, unconsciously or consciously, depending on the person. Also, Force-sensitive individuals have high midichlorian numbers per one cell. Hence, there is nothing mystical about it. People tend to overly romanticize both the Force and the Jedi. It's the easiest when one does not understand.'' explicated Tionne, then waited a few moments before continuing to see if Akasha had any questions.

Akasha Khan
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:08:16 PM
Akasha listened with a frown of concentration. This was a very different tale than she'd heard told before, with equal authority and conviction, from a powerful practitioner of the Force. Surely one of them had been deceived.

"So it's a simple matter of power?" she said, sitting on the floor with her legs crossed and her tail wrapped around them. "Some people have it, and some don't? If that's the case, why are we not rulers of the galaxy?"

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:28:51 PM
The human Jedi rubbed her chin, lifting a perplexed brow upon learning of feline's view on the subject. Was this her first encounter with another with a proficient Force-user? Thanewulf was not all that certain.

''Correction - most of people do not have this ability. Occurrence of the Force in sentient species is measured in per cent mille (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_cent_mille). Hence, we are a minority - there's an entire world out there who sees our talent as nothing but magic.'' she clarified, then addressed the other, more controversial matter. Instead of embarking on a moral rampage, Tionne decied to handle it differently. In between two nibbles, the Knight asserted knowingly;

''I'd beg to differ - regarding the ruling bit. Technically, the Inqusitoriate is populated by Force-sensitive individuals, and last time I checked, they have a quite good grip of the galaxy.''

Akasha Khan
Jul 19th, 2010, 01:00:06 PM
"So should I be joining them instead of you?"

Akasha looked up at her new master, the picture of innocence, as if she hadn't just asked an impertinent question that should by rights have her thrown out an airlock.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 19th, 2010, 01:27:47 PM
Others might have scolded the feline, give her a lecture on manners and conduct worthy of a Jedi, but Tionne decided to resort to different means, having sensed Akasha's resilience to any set of rules that was to be imposed. Forbidden fruit was by far the sweetest; Thanewulf was ready to let Khan nibble on any piece of greenery she desired.

''Yeah, that would probably be more logical, given the current state of the Jedi.'' the Knight concluded with a solemn sigh, then shifted her gaze to the viewport, eyes entertained by those scant few stars the ship floated by.

''Nevertheless, there remain a few trivial problems. Apparently, the Empire is not too fond of non-human species, regardless to their Force-sensitivity. Or social status. Or royal heritage, or even wealth. I'm afraid you'd be condemned to a leash and be given a bowl with your name on it. If that's your idea of a life fulfilled, be my guest.'' she replied, spitting out a shard of wood that her teeth peeled off the tip of the pipe.

Akasha Khan
Jul 19th, 2010, 01:52:40 PM
Akasha sighed and skewed one ear backwards. "One of these days, I'm going to get a rise out of you," she said. "But you still haven't answered my question. What is the purpose of the Jedi? And don't say it's to survive. You need a reason to do that."

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 19th, 2010, 03:40:59 PM
Good luck with that, Thanewulf mused whilst muffling a wholehearted chuckle. Not even a holocaust directed against the Jedi had stressed her out, why would a teenage feline? Time would tell if Akasha would ever act upon whatever she said or thought, a time when choices will be made. This, however, was no such time and Tionne stirred the conversation in a wholly different direction.

''Hm, there exist slightly different interpretations of what the Jedi are - purely arising from the diversity of life forms that were part of the Jedi order in the past. A common definition tells of guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, protectors of those who cannot protect themselves, procurators of democracy and guiding torches of the Republic. While I find such grandeous description a bit too sentimental, the Jedi have oft played such a role throughout history.'' the redhead lectured, remaining observant of the Orryxian as she absorbed the information served.

''Ideally, the Jedi use the Force in such a way to restore balance - as fragile as it is - in society at large. Of course, this varies on a case to case basis, but generally a Jedi tries to help the most possible, while hurting the least possible number of life forms. Or preferably nobody, which is rarely the case. And the purpose of the Jedi? To make everything go according to a larger plan.'' said the Knight, then grew silent for a moment, not ready to reveal her heterodox viewpoint on the issue.

''Funnily enough..'' Tionne continued, her features brightening a notch - ''Survival was always a part of my philosophy. And the reason? There was a persistent need to return and bitchslap whoever struck me down, and walk away with a facial expression of full bliss.''
The tone of her voice indicated she was not entirely serious, yet it provided a cushioned prelude to a more delicate question the Coruscanti meant to ask -
''And you? What was your reason to survive, hm?''

Akasha Khan
Jul 19th, 2010, 04:13:06 PM
Akasha listened - once more, unsure she was understanding everything, unable to fully grasp the enormity of the galactic civilization that the Republic had represented. For most of Orryxia, even the Empire was just a name, a nebulous, alien entity looming somewhere beyond the sky. But the Jedi did not serve them - they were hunted by them. Whose plan, then, did they serve?

Akasha didn't have a chance to ask before her own question was turned back on her. For a moment, she considered inventing something pure and noble, but she knew enough of Tionne now to know she wouldn't buy it.

"My mother wanted me dead," she said bluntly. "Surviving seemed like the purest form of defiance."

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 19th, 2010, 04:21:44 PM
A ginger brow furrowed, with Tionne plucking the pipe right out of her mouth. She spat out yet another splinter, having nibbled it off, unconsciously gritting her teeth against wood.
''Your mother? But why?'' the Knight quizzed, shaking head in disbelief - ''You seem like a good kid, aside from a few bumps on your personality. Nothing that can't be ironed out.''

Akasha Khan
Jul 19th, 2010, 04:32:43 PM
"That meaningless title I told you about?" Akasha said. "I was the firstborn of Lord Akhira Khan of the Khan Thane. But not the firstborn of Lady Akane. She preferred her bastard son to succeed her. Which meant I was in the way."

It was a matter of the past now, as far removed from her as the violent foundation of the universe. Even her hatred had cooled now - frozen into another state of feeling that was no less dangerous.

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 19th, 2010, 04:49:08 PM
''So, you're royalty. Or nobility at least.'' Tionne concluded, rubbing her chin upon contemplating Akasha's position in the Orryxian tradition of succession. Intrigues of the court were not entirely unfamiliar to the redhaired Knight, as she dealt with a number of blue-bloods back in the day. As such, she wasn't foolish enough to assume all was as it appeared. Subtle games easily deceived an incautious eye.

''How do you feel about this now? Having some secret plan of disembowelling your closest of kin once I teach you how to effectively use the Force? How am I to be certain you will not use your gift to impale your relatives on sticks and parade them around town?'' she prodded, crossing arms over her chest.

Akasha Khan
Jul 19th, 2010, 05:07:20 PM
"What would it earn me?" Akasha replied with a shrug. "They're not my family anymore. I don't really care if I ever see any of them again. Besides..."

She turned a paw palm up, and her staff floated and gently spun in the air above it. "None of them have this power. And if being away from them means I get to learn how to use it... in my mind, that's a gain on both ends."

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 19th, 2010, 05:19:40 PM
''Fair enough. Frankly, I'm quite relieved to hear you have no residual emotional soot loitering about. I'm sick and tired of being someone's therapist.'' the Knight stated earnestly, then regarded the feline in a meek, almost sympathetic way. Thanewulf had no living family, a last exemplar of her lineage; in a time when friends were scarcer than Corusca gems, both of them had no other person to turn to but themselves. Tionne's lips stretched into a warm smile, a special one she kept reserved for those she called friends.

''Is there anything you wish to know about me? Feel free to ask.'' encouraged the Jedi upon extinguishing the light in her pipe.

Akasha Khan
Jul 20th, 2010, 10:13:42 AM
Akasha regarded her new master thoughtfully.

"I've come to learn that different adepts have different gifts," she said. "What are your specialties? What are you planning to teach me?"

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 20th, 2010, 12:56:41 PM
Inhaling deeply, Thanewulf prepared for yet another lengthy explanation. She tapped her pipe against the crate, cleansing it from residual ash.
''Traditionally, all Jedi can be loosely divided into two groups. The first group are Jedi Guardians; they are focused on combat, martial and saberwork above all. The second group are Jedi Consulars; these centre themselves around excessive usage of the Force, meditative techniques and were generally regarded as the diplomats of the Order. The latter usually resided in the Temple, taking on the task of educating the next generation of Jedi, while Jedi Guardians sometimes acted as a special kind of pan-galactic police. Neither of the two subcategories are mutually exclusive - there were Guardians who were exceptionally good negotiators and Consulars who honed formidable lightsaber skills.'' the redhead explained, taking another deep breath before continuing.

''Well, I'm neither of the two. I fall into the Sentinel category, which is often regarded as jack of all trades, master of none. Of course, this is not entirely true. I tend to do exceptionally well in two different areas - stealth and mentalism. Like my grandfather - also a Jedi - I conceal my presence in the Force. In addition, I seem to be immune to intrusive telepathy. You know, somebody forcefully trying to get into your head via the Force.'' said the Knight, chin resting on knuckles. She then went on to answer Akasha's final question.
''What I intend to teach you? Everything I know. And more. There are far wiser members of the Jedi Order from whom you will learn, when the time comes.''

Akasha Khan
Jul 20th, 2010, 05:25:31 PM
"I can sense when a life form's eyes are on me," Akasha said abruptly. "Or... nose, or ears. When I'm in another being's attention. And I can sense if that creature has ill intentions toward me. It's saved my life before."

She tilted her head. "Is that normal? I have some idea of what my talents might be, but they haven't been tested against another adept."

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 21st, 2010, 10:28:21 AM
''The art of Force Sense.'' Tionne identified after hearing Akasha's description. All Jedi had this ability developed to a degree, with primal species such as Orryxians and the Cathar were more versed. Instinctual sensation was amplified thousandfold, making an apt Jedi sense danger from miles away. A useful skill in times like these, the Knight concluded wordlessly.

''You make it sound like it's some kind of a sickness, asking if it is normal, haha.'' chuckled the human Jedi, shaking head dismissively.
''Your talents will show fully once we put you in a real life situation. This may or may not have something to do with other adepts. It's not a competition, Akasha. The only true achievement is to best your former self.''

Akasha Khan
Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:08:49 AM
Not a competition... it always had been, for as long as Akasha could remember. She was used to tests where the penalty for failure was steep - broken limbs, excruciating pain, death. She was used to comparing her strengths and weaknesses to those around her. It disturbed her to have landed in an arena where she knew so little about her own capabilities, let alone anyone else's.

Which led her to the matter of enemies. The Orryxian proverb went that you could tell more about a person from their enemies than you could from their friends. "I should let you know that there is a bounty on my head set by my former..." She hesitated on the word master and settled, with distaste, on, "owner, Jaarhu the Hutt. It's probably insultingly low, but it might cause trouble if we venture into Hutt space. Do you have any enemies I should know about?"

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 23rd, 2010, 06:33:53 PM
''The Empire.'' Thanewulf stated plainly after a moment's thought - ''But that is kind of implied, isn't it? I haven't actually done anything to rile them up, apart from being a Jedi. And refusing to die.''

Tionne seemed to take it lightly now, the fact that she was chased around the galaxy by a rabid bunch of Dark Side adepts; in a few years time, she would probably make jokes out of it, provided she was still alive.

"Well, when we venture through Hutt space, you will apologize to the Hutt. In the only way he understands. They are not that bad, when you get to know them... And much smarter than they look...'' the redhead trailed off, remembering her numerous encounters with the Huttese gastropods. Apparently, they very much enjoyed her cynicism.

Akasha Khan
Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:31:46 PM
Akasha wasn't sure which was more shocking - that Tionne had commanded her to apologize to Jaarhu the Hutt, or that she considered the corpulent slugs something other than loathsome and disgusting. As far as the Orryxian was concerned, they were the tapeworms in the rectum of the universe.

"Unless apologizing involves blunt trauma to his fat, disease-ridden face, it will never happen in this or any other galaxy. And double for his horned toad of majordomo."

Tionne Thanewulf
Jul 29th, 2010, 09:19:07 AM
"We'll see." the redhead replied simply with an amused smile, then rose to her feet. The Orryxian sure had a sharp tongue, a feat Tionne was already beginning to like. Straightening her clothes out, the Knight eyed the feline once more.

"Meet me tomorrow at 0800 hours sharp in the hangar bay of the Valiant. Unfortunately, there will be no blunt trauma. Yet. Don't know about you, but I need a vacation." the Knight voiced, turning sharply on her heel to head for the door.

"Don't forget your swimming suit." added Thanewulf upon exiting the hangar.