PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring quotes for writers

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 6th, 2010, 06:45:24 AM
Share snippets of wisdom from writers :)

"Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule." - Stephen King

Crusader
Jun 6th, 2010, 07:05:37 AM
Pamela Anderson (talking about her ghostwriter/cowriter on her novel): Well, there are things I don’t really know about, like sentence structure, a beginning, a middle, and an end.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 6th, 2010, 03:16:46 PM
"Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print. Never use a long word where a short one will do. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out. Never use the passive voice where you can use the active. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous." - George Orwell

Peter McCoy
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:19:36 AM
"Show, don't tell" - Dave Jackson, my Image and Story/Screenwriting tutor from university.

Not very inspirational; at times bloody annoying to adhere to as well. Yet it is good advice none the less.

Peter McCoy
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:16:04 AM
Also...

"It's kinda, sorta like you're trying to hint at that notion that implies that..." - possibly the most idiotic thing the man above ever said (my tutor, not me!)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:01:59 PM
If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something.

Henry Ford

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.

Louisa May Alcott

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Albert Einstein

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

^^ These don't apply to writing in particular, but they are my 'write a novel!' inspirational quotes.

O.W. Outcast
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:08:18 AM
“The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person.” ~Frank Barron

“Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.” ~Ray Bradbury

“Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction.” ~Pablo Picasso

“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.” ~George Bernard Shaw

They don't just apply to writing but any type of Imaginative creation.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 18th, 2010, 12:18:21 PM
Charlie Brooker on the motivation behind writing (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/aug/16/charlie-brooker-writing-deadlines):

So then. To everyone who has ever emailed to ask me for advice on writing, my answer is: get a deadline. That's all you really need. Forget about luck. Don't fret about talent. Just pay someone larger than you to kick your knees until they fold the wrong way if you don't hand in 800 words by five o'clock. You'll be amazed at what comes out.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 10th, 2011, 03:49:21 PM
Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. -- ANTON CHEKHOV