PDA

View Full Version : Space Empires V

Park Kraken
May 21st, 2010, 05:21:43 PM
It was released in 2006, but I just ran across it at a local Books a Million selling for 7$ for version 1.00. It looked interesting, so I went ahead and bought it. After several frustrating bugs I looked up and downloaded the latest patches, which I think brought it up to 1.74 version or something like that.

And now I love it. The concept is somewhat similar to Star Wars Rebellion/Supremacy, but there is so much more that you can do. A massive research tech tree, and there is a lot of customizable stuff. Create your own Empires, and designs for things ranging from ships, satellites, troops, to weapon systems, space stations, etc.

So far I've found some of the best offensive weapons are carriers loaded up with hundreds of TIE Defenders (custom design with lasers and rockets), or Oi class Torpedo Cruisers (Battleships with lots of engines and Gamma class Torpedo Launchers) for my Empire, from what I've been able to research.

Good theme music too.

The only thing I haven't been able to do is A) Complete a Game, and B) Learn how to employ the superweapons, but I suspect it's in the temporal knowledge tree. Like creating Black Holes, etc.

Oh, and the galaxy is much bigger too.

Peter McCoy
May 22nd, 2010, 08:36:15 AM
I may have to look into this - see if it's available online somewhere.