PDA

View Full Version : The Karate Kid (2010)

Atreyu
Mar 9th, 2010, 03:40:59 PM
<object height="340" width="560">Trailer #1:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jy3TwgpOfr0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

Link to Trailer #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxBQS_Qn5m8&feature=related) (won't let me embed)

O_o

WHY????

Nathanial K'cansce
Mar 9th, 2010, 04:41:14 PM
At least it has Jackie Chan?

Crusader
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:07:39 PM
This could work...but I am not sure.

Crusader
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:14:25 PM
BTW why did they call this movie the Karate Kid when Jackie Chan is teaching him Kung FU.
Where is the Problem with Kung Fu Kid?

Atreyu
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:46:20 PM
I think the film itself could be potentially ok (and I love Jackie Chan - although admittedly I prefer his earlier Hong Kong stuff to his more recent roles) - what rubs me wrong is the title, it just seems to be an arbitrary tack-on for name recognition only. :(

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:50:48 PM
Kung Fu Kid doesn't have the same ring as Karate Kid. Plus it sounds like it could be a sequel to Kung Fu Panda, starring a young goat...

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2010, 06:34:12 PM
Lame as hell

Tear
Mar 9th, 2010, 07:01:14 PM
In communist China, leg sweeps you.

Rutabaga
Mar 9th, 2010, 08:38:18 PM
I saw this trailer before Alice in Wonderland and wanted to cry. I agree...WHY????

They even make fun of Mr. Miyagi catching the fly with the chopsticks in the original. Phooey on them.

And yeah, Jackie Chan is okay, but nobody beats Pat Morita. He is the one and only Mr. Miyagi.

Plus I just have to make this one snide comment...gotta love the nepotism, Will Smith's son is getting all kinds of work just 'cause of who his father is. So there. :p

Crusader
Mar 10th, 2010, 03:35:43 AM
Plus I just have to make this one snide comment...gotta love the nepotism, Will Smith's son is getting all kinds of work just 'cause of who his father is. So there. :p

OFFTOPIC RANT
I do not like the nepotism argument for 2 reasons:
First of all talent often runs in the family and if the boy fails this wil impact the reception of his father as well.

Second I think that one of the reasons why we are in an economic crisis right now is the fact that we have lost a lot of values that are based on legacy. We live in a world right now where people get told that it is more important to satisfy stockholders instead of caring for the people who work under your command.
Today companies are run by people who are the best of the best ever since high school. They do not feel any connection to the brand they are selling they just care about profits and statistics because these are the only things they value.
A man that inherits the company that was found by his grandfather feels the legacy that is passed on to him and hopefully he will be proud of his ancestors achievements and take on the responsibility for the company instead of making money out of it at any cost.

Crusader
Mar 10th, 2010, 03:37:19 AM
Sry Double Post

jjwr
Mar 10th, 2010, 09:28:46 AM
I like it and I'm a huge Karate Kid fan. Its different yes but that doesn't mean it will be bad. And I loved Mr. Miyagi but having Jackie Chan as the new Sensei(not sure his name?) puts someone with some real talent and ability to show it.

Droo
Mar 10th, 2010, 09:55:14 AM
I have all the Karate Kid films(including The Next Karate Kid but in my defense I didn't have a choice because it was part of the box set) and I love them all. Pat Morita is a legend and Mr. Miyagi was a true hero of the 80s for me. Having said that, I also love Jackie Chan and while this film is probably lost on me, I have to admit from a neutral perspective it looks well made and, despite lacking the sweet wide-eyed naivety of the orginal, it will probably be a lot of fun for its target audience.

Sanis Prent
Mar 10th, 2010, 10:59:32 PM
The only thing that really gripes me about it is the name, I've come to realize. That stupid fucking name.

If I can get over that, I might actually be able to watch this.