PDA

View Full Version : Today's Rant On Why I Sometimes Hate People

Rutabaga
Feb 14th, 2010, 04:57:05 PM
I went to see The Wolfman today. Not a great movie by any means, but better than the critics said it was.

The behavior of some people in the theater and one person out in the parking lot reminded me of why I sometimes would love to live on my own private island. :shakefist

[petty rant]

I was sitting in the back row by myself. After a while, a couple came in and sat a couple seats away at the end of the row. The woman tossed her stuff into the seat between us, which felt a little bit like it was infringing on my personal space. (Yes, I sometimes have a SERIOUS personal space issue.) For a while, it seemed like she was going to be one of those people who was going to comment on every single damn thing on the screen. Plus she crinkled shit off and on through the movie. AND her male companion was scratching her back so loudly at one point that I couldn't pay attention to the movie.

On the other side of me were 2 empty seats. Just as the movie started, meaning it was well past the starting time on the marquee, a couple came in and plunked right down in those 2 seats even though there were PLENTY of empty seats in the theater. Again, my personal space was invaded, and much more obviously this time. The real kicker was that the woman jumped at EVERY SINGLE THING so damn hard that she shook the whole row of seats, and she would clutch at her male companion for life support. Honey, nothing on screen was THAT scary...if you can't tolerate movies like this, stay home and wait for the DVD please. Or at least STAY THE HELL away from me. :shakefist

Now, my REAL adventure came after the movie. I came out to find that some ASSHOLE had parked maybe 2 INCHES away from the driver's side of my car. Seriously! Thank God I've lost a lot of weight and am more limber than I used to be, plus the front seat design of my car (which is a Chevy HHR) allowed for me to get in on the passenger side and then pull a pretzel maneuver to get myself over behind the wheel. Although at the last second I wasn't sure if I was going to get my right leg where it needed to be, but finally I did. My car has a standard transmission, and I kicked the gear shift out of gear more than once, but thankfully the parking brake stayed in position without a problem. Once I got the car started, I had to make a bunch of back and forth repositions to avoid hitting the side of ASSHOLE's car and/or taking out the rearview mirrors on either my car or the other car. Then I drove further down the parking lot to an empty area where I could get out and fully inspect the driver's side to make sure ASSHOLE hadn't dinged me while he parked. GGGRRRRR!!! There could NOT have been a passenger in that car, because there's NO WAY the passenger could have gotten out. Or else the passenger got out on the driver's side or something. UGH!!!!!! If I hadn't been able to pull it off, I'd still be sitting there waiting for ASSHOLE to come out, and boy, I would have gone totally werewolf on his/her ass. People really suck sometimes!!!

[/petty rant]

And how was your day? :angel

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 14th, 2010, 06:59:55 PM
:uhoh About to go to the movies and hoping for a good time!

I try to just ignore the buttheads in movies who try to ruin the experience for others but it REALLY irks my husband, and sometimes there's no ignoring someone. Like if they answer the phone loudly during the movie or something.

I have more success ignoring though because I can concentrate really hard and block out everything when I'm watching or reading something.

But I hate assholes in movie theatres. They should buy a clue. Its not like tickets are so cheap these days. :shakefist

Marguerite Lamoureux
Feb 14th, 2010, 07:07:10 PM
I've taken to only going to this one theater where it's pricey... but tickets correspond to seating so you can purchase a nice middle spot ahead of time online, pick up your tickets and not have to worry about showing up painfully early to stand in line for a newer movie like most of the places around here. Though it's really their zero tolerance policy for the usual huge annoying stuff that keeps me coming back... Showed up late and the film has started? Tough luck. No movie for you. Talking during the movie? Out you go. Baby crying? bye bye. Cell phone? You're lucky if you aren't tarred and feathered by the staff. Maybe a bit extreme... but I think it makes for a genuinely enjoyable movie-going experience for everyone else. I've never seen anyone have to be removed, but I've never seen any reason come up that would warrant it either since I've been going there.

If I'm going to pay a giant chunk of cash to see a film in the theater nowadays, I don't mind dishing out the little extra to make sure that my viewing isn't ruined by people who should have waited for the silly thing to come out on DVD/BluRay and haven't realized the theater isn't their damn living room.

Lykaios
Feb 14th, 2010, 07:50:29 PM
Ah, yes, assholes, they're all over...many a time I've tried to come up with a vaccine, I'd be rich! But alas, no luck.

Went to Old Chicago for dinner today and was having a lovely time with the fam until the booth behind us was taken.

Seriously? Why the fuck do people not sit down but rather throw themselves into the seats? Don't toss yourself with all your strength on the seat and then push back mighty hard on the back of the seat when you're sliding to the end of the booth!

Plus if you bring your kids over, don't let them climb on the back of the seat and yell in other people's ears, that's just plain rude and makes for not an enjoyable meal for the other party.

*shakes fist*

Yog
Feb 14th, 2010, 08:49:51 PM
:shakefist

hahahaha. Awesome rant :D

In general, I don't encounter as much annoyances in movie theaters. But that is probably because I tend to go opening weekend, and to the best theater with great chairs and space, and top of the line video / audio. I find those who care about a great theater experience don't tend to bother others.

Rutabaga
Feb 15th, 2010, 07:22:41 AM
I've taken to only going to this one theater where it's pricey... but tickets correspond to seating so you can purchase a nice middle spot ahead of time online, pick up your tickets and not have to worry about showing up painfully early to stand in line for a newer movie like most of the places around here. Though it's really their zero tolerance policy for the usual huge annoying stuff that keeps me coming back... Showed up late and the film has started? Tough luck. No movie for you. Talking during the movie? Out you go. Baby crying? bye bye. Cell phone? You're lucky if you aren't tarred and feathered by the staff. Maybe a bit extreme... but I think it makes for a genuinely enjoyable movie-going experience for everyone else. I've never seen anyone have to be removed, but I've never seen any reason come up that would warrant it either since I've been going there.

If I'm going to pay a giant chunk of cash to see a film in the theater nowadays, I don't mind dishing out the little extra to make sure that my viewing isn't ruined by people who should have waited for the silly thing to come out on DVD/BluRay and haven't realized the theater isn't their damn living room.

I want to go to your theater. :(

Apparently the asshole parking was going around yesterday, my sister said the exact same thing happened to her best friend too. I can't help but think about how lucky I was that I could get myself into my car with only a little trouble...if it were my 80 year old father with his artifical hip and knee and arthritis in the rest of his body, he would've been out of luck.

Jack Daniels
Feb 15th, 2010, 09:31:26 AM
Im sorry to hear this happened to you! I want to see wolfman myself!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 15th, 2010, 12:49:40 PM
Maybe it's just a British thing, but I very rarely hear a peep out of anyone at the cinema. Occasionally some kids chatting or laughing during the trailers, but they shut up once the movie has kicked in. If they don't, a swift kick to the back of the chair usually works!