View Full Version : NFL Pick 'em 2009: Super Bowl XLIV

Dragon
Feb 2nd, 2010, 02:08:30 PM
Sun Feb 7

NO vs. IND

Discuss!

Figrin D'an
Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:04:26 PM
Biggest story so far is probably whether Dwight Freeney will be able to play, and even if he can, how effective he'll be.

I still think this game will come down to the Saints ability to force turnovers. If they get 2-3 takeaways, they'll have enough in the other phases of the game to win. If they don't, then I think Indy wins regardless of how good the Saints are on offense or special teams.

I'll probably wait until the day of the game to make my pick though.

Shadow Storm
Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:18:57 AM
Sunday is the 7th.

IND (W)

I'll be happy for the Saints if they win their first SB ever, but I'm going to be rooting for the Colts in MIA this Sunday. Current weather forecast calls for Partly Cloudy skies with a high of 72*F for this Sunday.

Rutabaga
Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:47:47 PM
I will be perfectly okay with the Colts winning the SB, but I always want to root for the team that's never won a SB, especially if the team has never even been to the SB before.

Therefore, I'm picking SAINTS. :angel

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:59:17 PM
I am going with the Saints.

Dragon
Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:44:22 PM
I honestly like both teams about equally. None of the teams I dislike made it past the divisional round, so it was a good postseason for me. This looks like a great match-up on paper - the explosive Saints offense against a very speedy Colts defense, the rock-steady Colts passing attack against a ball-hawking Saints secondary.

Even with Freeney in doubt, I'm going to go with the favorites here.

COLTS

Yog
Feb 4th, 2010, 07:15:58 AM
I root with the Saints, but think Colts are going to win so...

IND (W)

Xavier Synik
Feb 4th, 2010, 08:56:44 AM
Colts win. Wouldn't surprise me if the Saints cover though.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2010, 03:24:41 PM
Well the Saints are the healthier team that could benefit them, especially on defense.

Carré Inirial
Feb 5th, 2010, 11:39:37 AM
I'm going with the Saints, with a final score of 24-21.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2010, 04:15:41 PM
If we are picking scores, I will go with a high scoring game 34-31 Saints.

Miranda Tarkin
Feb 5th, 2010, 05:59:41 PM
I shall go with the Colts

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 5th, 2010, 07:41:36 PM
Colts for the win

Lykaios
Feb 6th, 2010, 09:47:06 AM
Colts are going to mop the floor with the Saints 34-10

Dragon
Feb 6th, 2010, 11:19:00 AM
A prophecy from the nineties? :uhoh

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LqgKMJ3Nnu4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2010, 06:07:44 PM
lol doubt it means anything.

Aurelias Kazaar
Feb 7th, 2010, 12:26:34 PM
Wow...still going Colts.

I just want a good game.

Liam Jinn
Feb 7th, 2010, 01:08:06 PM
I'll say Colts...?

Rutabaga
Feb 7th, 2010, 01:39:54 PM
I have a boatload of friends at Facebook since I play some of the games there, and one of them has such a hatred of the SB that he's deleting anyone who dares to pollute his live feed with comments about the game. Methinks someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! O_o

Obviously he didn't see my post from early this morning, because we're still friends. But I'm figuring I'll be booted later on today after I post something after the game! :lol

Ryan Pode
Feb 7th, 2010, 03:05:08 PM
Colts, 38-34.

Figrin D'an
Feb 7th, 2010, 04:15:33 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I think this game is going to come down to the Saint's defense gameplan, and if they can force turnovers like they have all season. Greg Williams (Saints D coordinator) has stated that they want to employ the same tactics they used against Arizona and Minnesota... hit the quarterback as much as possible in an attempt to rattle him. It worked very well against the Cardinals, and was moderately successful against Minnesota. I'm not sure that this will work against Peyton Manning though. He's the most well-protected QB in the league, and once he figures out the blitz packages and pressures, his line simply adjusts and he doesn't get hit again.

Which is partially why I'm not convinced that New Orleans is actually going to scheme defensively the way they have said they will. I go back to the game the Saints played against New England back in November. Rather than try to bring non-stop pressure against Tom Brady, they actually played a lot of zone coverage and made Brady hang onto the ball longer. This lead to coverage sacks and hits, as well as turnovers. I would not be surprised for the Saints to mix things up and try this type of package against the Colts, at least for some series.

That said... this is still going to be a shoot-out. If the Colts can't generate a pass rush (harder to do with a hobbled Dwight Freeney), Brees will pick apart the inexperienced Colts secondary. On the other side, Manning is just too good to keep down for an entire game. He will burn you at times, and there's little that can prevent it.

So, turnovers. If the Colts don't make any major mistakes, they are the better team and will win. If they have a couple of bad bounces and give up the ball, the Saints will capitalize and will win.

Weird things happen in Super Bowls. Unexpected things happen, and often times, some unheralded player(s) will step up to cause those things.

It'll be a good game, but just enough weird things will happen that will go New Orleans' way, and the Saints win their first championship.

Saints 34
Colts 31

Dragon
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:34:01 PM
Tracy Porter shocks the nation!

Rutabaga
Feb 7th, 2010, 08:49:46 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!! :eee :eee :eee

I'm really happy for the people of New Orleans, they deserve something to celebrate! :eee

And Sean Payton has balls of steel for trying thar onside kick. :cool

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:30:04 PM
The onside kick really turned the game around for the Saints. Brees played brilliantly. It is surprising we have had now had 3 straight very good SBs.

Figrin D'an
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:38:28 PM
And Sean Payton has balls of steel for trying that onside kick. :cool

Quoted for emphasis. That decision was the single most gutsy play call I've ever seen in a Super Bowl. The interesting thing is, he really set the stage for that in the first half, when he chose to go for it on 4th and goal. That didn't work, but he sent the message to his team that they were there to win the game, not to play it safe and wait around for something to happen in their favor. The Saints made their own luck in this game. The Colts did not lose this game, as some may try to say. The Saints simply took it from them.

Porter's interception was another great example of setting up future plays through play calls and scheme. Greg Williams intentionally saved some defense packages and looks for late game situations, so that he would have something new to throw at Peyton Manning in the 4th quarter. They blitzed most of the night, but they usually played zone coverage behind it. On that final drive, the Saints continued to blitz, but the DBs played more man coverage. On that play, knowing that the big blitz would force Manning to get rid of the ball quickly, Porter jumped the short route that Reggie Wayne was running. Manning, for all of his great ability to adapt to what defenses throw at him, never saw that coming because it wasn't something that Saints had done to that point.

The Colts were also terrible in their end-of-game clock management. It's like they knew it was over and didn't really even try. Not using a timeout when the run was stuffed on 3rd and goal was incredibly dumb. Also trying to throw everything over the middle as they neared the end-zone was somewhat questionable.

Very entertaining game. The ending was strange with how poorly the Colts handled it, but for about 57 minutes, it was fun to watch.

Drew Brees is now, IMO, in the same conversation of elite QBs in the league with Brady and Manning, no question. The guy was clutch all night, even they got behind.

I think Mardi Gras might last 6 months this year.

Rutabaga
Feb 8th, 2010, 07:21:17 AM
I love this picture! :)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/Rutabaga64/saintssuperbowl.jpg

jjwr
Feb 8th, 2010, 03:18:17 PM
No question right now Bree's is the best QB in the league. He's put up the best numbers the past 2 years and led his team to the SB. Until Brady or Manning answer with some Playoff heroics of their own then Brees is the man.

Figrin D'an
Feb 8th, 2010, 06:57:15 PM
The discussion about Peyton Manning and his legacy has been interesting. He obviously has several more years left in his career, and Indy is still a very good team. Yet, for all of the good (the stats, the regular season MVPs, the Super Bowl win over the Bears), there's also a lot of questions (postseason record: 9-9, regular home playoff losses when favored, had more INTs than TDs in their playoff/Super Bowl run a few years ago). In a lot of ways, his career is much like that of Brett Favre (minus the retirement drama)... great regular season stats, MVPs, won the Big Game once when backed by a great/underrated defense, lost another one against another great QB, but so often came up small in really big moments. If Manning can win another Super Bowl in the 5-6 seasons he likely has left, this kind of discussion will be moot... just look at how John Elway's legacy was re-written at the end of his career. That's a big "if" though, especially in today's NFL when teams like the Cardinals and Saints can be turned from laughing stocks into championship contenders/winners.

Brees is cemented as an elite QB now. He's had the numbers, now he has the ring to go with them. Not bad for a guy that had a destroyed shoulder a few years ago and only one team wanted.

Dragon
Feb 8th, 2010, 08:12:55 PM
Hmm, I think it's funny that Manning, who was Super Bowl MVP a couple years, now has a legacy that is in doubt, while Brees is now cemented as an elite QB. I think they've both demonstrated that they're elite QBs. Manning is the closest thing the league has right now to Dan Marino, who always surfaces in the conversation of best passer in league history, despite the fact he never won a Super Bowl. Obviously he wants to win another ring, but that's not in any one player's control. Honestly, I believe Manning's legacy is secure.

Dragon
Feb 8th, 2010, 08:21:41 PM
Picked the Colts:
Aurelias Kazaar
Dragon
Liam Jinn
Lykaios
Miranda Tarkin
Nathanial K'cansce
Ryan Pode
Shadow Storm
Xavier Synik
Yog

Picked the Saints:
Carre Inirial
Figrin D'an
Jedi Master Carr
Rutabaga

Final Tally for the 2009-2010 season:

1. Xavier Synik: 180-87

2. Dragon: 177-90
3. Jedi Master Carr: 176-91
4. Yog: 175-93
5. Liam Jinn: 173-94
5. Ryan Pode: 173-94
7. Nathanial K'cansce: 173-94
8. Figrin D'an: 168-99
9. Rutabaga: 167-100
10. Aurelias Kazaar: 165-102
11. jjwr: 155-109
11. Miranda Tarkin: 155-112
13. Lykaios: 154-113
14. Shadow Storm: 148-119

Rutabaga
Feb 8th, 2010, 08:31:19 PM
Congratulations, Xav! :clap :clap :clap

The people of NO really do love Drew Brees, if you click on this link you'll see some pictures of the outside of his home today...people are leaving all kinds of signs and trinkets of appreciation to him :).

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/08/drew-brees-house-mansion-new-orleans-super-bowl/

I also didn't think of this until my office mate pointed it out, and it further cements Brees' legacy as an elite quarterback: in order to get to and win the Super Bowl, Brees beat Kurt Warner. Then he beat Brett Favre. Then he beat Peyton Manning.

Yowza! :eek

I saw a headline on the football app I have on my iPhone that the Colts are already 7-1 favorites to win the SB next year. Who knows what's gonna happen in the next year, that's all I can say.

BTW, it was interesting to see that the kicker who made the onside kick yesterday was a rookie who was basically scared to death once Sean Payton said they were going to go with their "Ambush" plan on that kick-off. He survived his baptism of Super Bowl fire spectacularly.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2010, 11:04:29 PM
Hmm, I think it's funny that Manning, who was Super Bowl MVP a couple years, now has a legacy that is in doubt, while Brees is now cemented as an elite QB. I think they've both demonstrated that they're elite QBs. Manning is the closest thing the league has right now to Dan Marino, who always surfaces in the conversation of best passer in league history, despite the fact he never won a Super Bowl. Obviously he wants to win another ring, but that's not in any one player's control. Honestly, I believe Manning's legacy is secure.

Well I think he will never been seen as the Greatest QB all time that some people started waving around last week. Honestly he needs to win 3 more SBs to equal Montana. He was the best and right now it isn't even close. If I had to rank the top 10 QBs I would go this way
1 Joe Montana
2 Johnny Unitas
3 Otto Graham
4 Tom Brady
5 John Elway
6 Brett Favre
7 Payton Manning
8 Terry Bradshaw
9 Troy Aikman
10 Dan Marino

In other news, this was the most watched SB of all time, and the most watched viewed TV program of all time passing MASH
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100209/ap_on_sp_ot/us_super_bowl_ratings;_ylt=AnzXpkSYJPQQ3hw8.ZLbNQy s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJyczZzNjZhBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMjA 5L3VzX3N1cGVyX2Jvd2xfcmF0aW5ncwRjcG9zAzEwBHBvcwM3B HNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNzdXBlcmJvd2xpc20-

CMJ
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:17:34 AM
Well, you can make a case for any number of guys -- and tho winning titles is important, I don't think it's the definitive trump card many feel. In other words, Montana wouldn't be #1 just because he got four.

Xavier Synik
Feb 9th, 2010, 09:45:59 AM
Congratulations, Xav! :clap :clap :clap

Thank you...

As far as Peyton and the Colts are concerned... apparently a Super Bowl loss doesn't change the fact that Vegas thinks they will be the winner of the next one. Apparently they are 13-5 favourites to win next year.

jjwr
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:18:51 AM
Its a tough call to say who is the "best" as that can be defined so many ways?

Watching Manning play its very obvious he is the most talented QB in the league right now, the passes he completes are just amazing, he puts the ball in places that no one else in the league can do.

You can't argue with his numbers as he will re-write the records by the time he's done but you also can't argue with how littel he has come up in the playoffs before. When they beat the Bears for the SB they were helped by some very sketchy PI calls and he gets the MVP but he was very average that entire Post Season.

Other QB's have had other more complete teams around them and reaped the rewards, thats Tom Brady's case. He's had very good teams that put him in place to succeed and whne it mattered he made the plays but he didn't have to make all the plays like Manning has had to.

One bad performance or play can change how you percieve a QB and this could tarnish his legacy going forward. One national sports writer made the comparison to Brady and SB 42, when it came down to it he made the plays at the end and drove the Pats to the lead late in the game and then his D choked it up. If the D had stopped the G-Men then Brady would have been 4-0 in the Superbowl, been MVP of a 19-0 team and led game winning drives when it mattered. He would be the unquestioned top playoff/superbowl QB....but he's not because his D couldn't hold. He did what he needed to the team didn't win. So while he's still a elite QB he's not what he could have been adn thats exactly what will be tought of Manning. No one will ever say he's not a great QB but there will always be a big "but" when you talk about him and his playoff success.

jjwr
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:19:46 AM
As for next year, the Colts over acheieved this year and won a lot of late close games that could have easily gone the other way. They won't duplicate that next year and we all know how super bowl losers far the next year.

Darth Gravis
Feb 9th, 2010, 11:24:22 AM
I was disappointed the colts lost but not entirely surprised. I agree the colts wont re-accomplish what they did this year. They'll make the playoffs but I do not hold any thought to the idea of them going 14-0 again.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2010, 12:56:22 PM
I think it is up for grabs like it is every year. I would say there are at least 12 teams that have legit chances at the SB.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2010, 01:11:39 AM
I'm working on the CT image for Xavier for this year. Dragon you're gonna hafta give yours up! :mneh

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/jainhollie/pickem10.jpg

You'll have to get a mod to change it for ya. :)

Dragon
Feb 21st, 2010, 10:50:02 AM
Dragon you're gonna hafta give yours up! :mneh

Awwwwwwwwwww. :(

Anyway, congratulations once again, Xavier! Wear your CT badge with honor. :)