PDA

View Full Version : What a Little Moonlight Can Do

Maggie Wren
Dec 26th, 2009, 02:22:36 PM
The fact that Maggie Wren's day had begun with almost getting thrown to the ground by a giant, purple-clad wildcat did not seem to bode well. It had been just a week and a half since she had arrived at Northwestern University, and it seemed that her arrival had coincided almost exactly with the beginning of the football season. On exchange from across the Atlantic – or the pond, as the airport cabbie had insisted on calling it – she was finding it hard to get swept up in the hysteria of the pre-season shenanigans. If anything, they left her feeling vaguely perplexed and slightly out of place.

Fortunately, the library was an oasis calm amongst the maelstrom of purple war-paint and u-rahs! A handful of other students had decided it would be prudent to hit the books hard and early, but for the most part the place was empty. Studying just wasn't on their minds. Truth be told, it wasn't on Maggie's either. She'd already thumbed her way through most of the ancient classics that she and her classmates were going to be dissecting, and in the end it was something a little more contemporary that attracted her attention: local newspapers. All she had to do now was find them.

Arms folded on the counter of the libraries desk, she shifted awkwardly as she peered over at the empty seat and unmanned keyboard behind it.

Michele Hawkins
Dec 26th, 2009, 02:41:14 PM
Another new year at school and guess what I was? Yeah GRAD-U-A-TED! That's right. An actual Alumni of Northwestern University walked amongst the students as a faculty member. Kick ass huh? Maria Ceffaclio, my beloved music instructor, adored me so much that she petitioned for me to become a teacher's assistant. Being a Honor Student and the top graduating Senior in Music and Performing Arts, afforded me some privileges. Plus it looked sweet on the Master's application. A year or two of this, I can go for it.

Kassandra definitely encouraged it too. She was a proponent of me furthering my academics while my training as an Immortal continued under her watchful eye. The enigmatic Immortal had said that I needed something to occupy my time while she was away for various lengths of time. There were plenty of responsibilities an Immortal as ancient as herself racked up throughout the year, and far be it from me to question someone that has showed me much compassion and strength and picked up the pieces of my despair since Fiona disappeared. I don't know why, and I don't give a shit anymore. Someone just doesn't up and asks you to marry then and be just gone for over a year without a word. Kassandra believes her to be dead because she no longer feels any connection towards Fiona for months now. Kassandra and Fiona are hundreds and hundreds of years older then me, so I don't have a prayer of sensing her in that manner.

Not that I give a fuck anymore. I have Kassandra now, and even if she disappears for weeks on end, she always comes back to me. Her I trust. Her I would die for.

And I would die for not having to plan tomorrow's lesson on how to read music notes. I swear half the class is tone deaf but I have to start with the beginner classes. As I walk into the library to see what is in our system, I can't help but notice a student looking lost at the librarians desk. Seemed she was looking for something specific and I figured what the hell. I might not work here, but I lived in this library for over four years. I bet I could help. Plus, I'm staff now. It's my duty.

Snort. Yeah right. That statement is ludicrous.

"Can I help you?" I say casually as I approach the girl with a smile.

Maggie Wren
Dec 26th, 2009, 02:57:03 PM
Her eyes narrowed, Maggie was peering at the various plaques and pictures mounted on the wall behind the attendant desks. When a voice spoke somewhere just behind her, she whirled around quickly. The librarian at St Hilda's had been a fixture of the place, with features as well-worn and fearsome as a gargoyle. A little part of her said that of course the librarian here would be someone more glamorous – it was America, after all, land of bronze skin and white teeth – but a more sensible part of her knew this was twaddle and nonsense.

“Oh. Alright?”

She smiled, dimples in her cheeks, and reflexively brushed a strand of wavy dark hair out of her face. Her accent was southern - not the drawl of Dixie, but the swing and song of East End London.

“I was lookin'.. for the librarian?” Turning slightly on the ball of one foot, she glanced between the empty attendant's seat and the woman who had offered her help. Another student, perhaps.

“And the press archives, if you've got any.”

If you've got any, she thought to herself and almost rolled her eyes at the absurdity of it.

Michele Hawkins
Dec 26th, 2009, 03:07:27 PM
Oh cool. Foreign student or exchange student, either way fucking sweet. Ever since becoming an Immortal and having more of a stake in this school, I was open to meeting various people. Students that were from another were always fun to learn from. Just because Fiona isn't in my life anymore, doesn't mean I've forgotten her lessons.

"Well, Mrs. Ramerio is," I look around the room and find no trace of her, "not in the immediate vicinity."

My attentions refocus on the student and I smile, "But I'm one of the teacher aides and not to mention, a former student. I can show you whatever you need since this place I know like the back of my hand. How far back are we talking newspapers?"

Maggie Wren
Dec 26th, 2009, 03:16:18 PM
“Um, about...”

About four months, since those unsolved and notably mysterious murders started happening. Or maybe a little further back before that, to the savage attacks that were written off as the work of wild dogs, or the sorority girls who thought they'd been date raped but showed no signs of drugging, only a few peculiar bruises on the neck.

Maggie pursed her lips, trying to think of any way she could appear more conspicuous. Nope, there was none. If she was lucky, they'd write her off as a foreign oddball and be done with it.

“The last couple of months. To get a feel for the place, you know? So I don't feel like such a tourist.”

Michele Hawkins
Dec 26th, 2009, 03:39:42 PM
"You sure you want newspapers?" I say teasingly as I lead her towards one of the computers. "I'm surprised that you didn't get the travel packet that most exchange students get?"

I actually slap the palm of my hand against my forehead, feeling down right stupid, "I'm Michele by the way. Welcome to not only Northwestern University, but the US as well."

Maggie Wren
Dec 26th, 2009, 03:54:15 PM
There had been a welcome pack – from both Northwestern and back home at Oxford, as a kind of inoculation against what was to come – but Maggie hadn't paid much attention to any of it. It was the usual tourist advice, with a sprinkling of bar and restaurant recommendations. Great for the normal student, not so great for the abnormal.

“I'm Maggie... Maggie Wren.”

She held out a hand, feeling it was the right thing to do.

“Sooo.. those newspapers. You're local, right?” The accent was a give away. “Think you could point me toward something.. credible?”

Michele Hawkins
Dec 26th, 2009, 04:14:56 PM
"Yep, born and raised here in Chi-Town, Maggie Wren," I say with a smirk and chuckle about credibility. "Any newspaper is gonna be colored in some fashion, but I will admit that the Trib and the Times aren't that bad."

I frown, "Usually. Here..."

Pulling up a chair for Maggie to sit in, I show her how to navigate the computer program to look up stories. "... You can find everything you need. Down here you can go back and forth with the dailies, and you can use this navigation bar to search the paper itself."

Leaning back in my chair, I look up at her with an earnest expression, "Chicago is a great city and since you're in the Downtown area, there is so much to see and do. You won't get bored, believe me."

My smile is genuine. I love this city. "Just don't let it affect your studies."

Like it did mine at dozens upon dozens of points. Whether it was Fiona dragging me to some concert, or a car accident, or some Vampires trying to go after Fiona, let along the Garou needing our help all the damn time, I'm surprised I am a fucking Honor Student.

Maggie Wren
Dec 26th, 2009, 05:21:54 PM
Perched on the edge of her chair, hands folded in her lap, Maggie beamed another smile. That Michele was saying exactly what the welcome pack had said didn't bother her. After all, it sounded much more convincing coming out of her mouth than it had on paper. She glanced at the computer screen, still displaying a scan of one of the latest issues of the Times - fantastically indexed to allow computerized key word searches - then looked back at the young woman sitting alongside her.

“I haven't had a chance to look around yet, with induction and all. You know how it is.”

She gave a little shrug, rolling her eyes.

“All work and no play...”

Michele Hawkins
Dec 26th, 2009, 07:02:20 PM
"Oh do I ever," I chuckle. "Was so busy that I barely had time to go outside and just enjoy fresh air. First few weeks are rough."

For me it was basically barricading myself inside my room and studying the entire time. I was a hopeless student married to my studies and the piano. Only when Fiona...

No. No god damnit. I won't do this.

"If you need any help getting around lemme know?" I ask her, sincere in my offer. "Buses, Metra, L: I can get you anywhere. Show you anything if your curious about the city."

Hey now before you guys getting all judgmental me, I'm being nice here. International student that hasn't been here before might need some help ya know? Aaaaand, she isn't my student. Her name isn't on my list so HA!

Maggie Wren
Dec 27th, 2009, 06:45:03 AM
“Thanks.”

Although making friends wasn't exactly an integral part of why Maggie had come to North America, it would probably drive her nuts to spend every waking hour with only herself and her books. Having a local on her side would have its benefits.

She eyed the computer terminal again, whilst absently toying with the gemstone necklace that lay in the hollow of her throat.

“Is there anywhere decent to eat on campus?”

Michele Hawkins
Dec 27th, 2009, 06:14:38 PM
My eyes are sliding down to a gemstone being toyed, but that wasn't really the object of my interest. It was a brief view of that long and slender neck before black hair blocked my scrumptious view. I have to admit, it was just perfect for an arm to be wrapped around before kisses could be stolen from behind. I'll also admit that it has been over a year since I've gotten anything. Fiona and I used to fuck like weasels. Try going from that to nothing AND let's not forget Kassandra being around all the time. She is that perfected vision of woman that is so beautiful to look at that it hurts, and that's why you look away. Not because you are shy that she notices, but because she is that regal and you know that you have no chance in hell in getting with her.

Sometimes I wonder if Kassandra wants to cross that line with me too, but I know she doesn't want to replace Fiona in all aspects of my life. I just can't help wondering what if now and then.

Like now. With Maggie. I am really off to a terrible start being a teacher's aide huh?

"nuCusine is like eating High School food, except more choices. But at least they can prepare some fresh meals." I chuckle, "At least we think it's fresh."

Maggie Wren
Dec 30th, 2009, 03:21:47 PM
Realising she was twisting the gemstone back and forth, Maggie distractedly swept some hair from her brow then laced her hands together around one knee. She sat forward a little, her voice becoming softer, almost a secretive whisper.

“Okay, but here's the deal-breaker.. how is their tea?”

Michele Hawkins
Dec 30th, 2009, 03:41:22 PM
I shake my head sadly. "It comes in pre-manufactured packages. Not even the good stuff. Generic crap you can get in any boring grocery store."

Living with Fiona, I knew how important such a question was to someone from across the pond, so I had to be disappointingly truthful.

"I personally get fresh tea leaves. Much better."

It was one of the few habits I kept from my time with Fiona. Seriously, it tasted so much fucking better then that Azowhateverthefuck it is called shit.

Maggie Wren
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:00:29 PM
She cocked her head to one side and nodded, as if to say: I approve. Her professors at St. Hilda's hadn't exactly been enthused about one of their students jetting off to the 'States, though when it came down to it had been trivial little things like the lack of proper tea and ignorance of the absolutely necessary Oxford comma that they had used to protest her departure. They rode the fine line between archaic and adorable, though, so Maggie didn't hold it against them.

“Alright, so don't hold on out me.. where do you shop?”

Good tea leaves were important, after all – and for more than just drinking. Divining the future from a clump of processed and packaged leaves was all but impossible.

Michele Hawkins
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:27:10 PM
Ah, ah. Yeah. I impressed. Well, I think I did. Perhaps merely surprise that someone knew their teas around here and she had found one so quickly.

"The Coffee and Tea Exchange," I say with smile, and then wink, "They get some nice stuff that they don't always sell in the back."

They have the most nomified tea leaves imported from Europe. Maggie would have to approve.

"I know the owner pretty good and she lets me have first pick of the supplies."

Bad Michele. You're almost begging for the girl to ask you to introduce her to this place so you could spend more time with her.

Whistles.

Maggie Wren
Dec 31st, 2009, 11:20:03 AM
If Maggie had believed in coincidences, meeting Michele would have been one. First, she could give her access to the information she needed. Second, she could direct her to the first of what would (unfortunately) be many stops for ingredients and regents. The girl knew better than to believe this was just a chance encounter.

“Would it be too much to ask you to put in a good word for me?”

Michele Hawkins
Jan 1st, 2010, 07:22:48 PM
"Course not! Think of it as a ... welcome to Northwestern and the States kinda thing. Just tell Manda behind the desk that 'Michele Hawkins' sent you." I smile and move to stand. I mean seriously? Nothing more I can do to make her feel more welcome.

"If you need anything, just find me on the faculty list for the School of Music."