PDA

View Full Version : A petition concerning Mandalorians

Nya Halcyon
Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
I'm barely around these days, I know, and haven't had a chance to roleplay at all since this summer, yet still - I very much plan to get back to it as soon as I can.

In light of some recent, drastic changes to the fate of the canon Mandalorians - the Mandalorians were revamped as long-standing pacifists who'd given up fighting centuries ago and Mandalore is a post-apocalyptic wasteland devastated by war - and the fact that both my main characters are tied to the Mandalorians as they were depicted until recently (mainly based off the comics and the SW Republic Commando series as well as any other canon info that was available) and would be left entirely stranded if I had to adapt them... I'd like to petition for the RPG rules to be amended to stick to the "old-canon"-version.

There are quite a few other characters based on that, too, as well as a few storylines - and not only by me - so I'm hoping this is possible. What does everyone think?

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:32:56 PM
As far as I'm concerned, what we have set down already for our characters comes before any newly created, conflicting EU material.

I wouldn't stop anyone from writing along the same lines as this new material, of course, but just ask that they try to work with / around what we already have in place.

General Dan
Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:16:59 PM
I agree. EU has always been sort of a "pick and choose" sort of thing. We pretty much dissected the Vong out of our worldview, and dipshit hippy Mandalorians can go fuck off as well.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 4th, 2009, 07:42:45 AM
We chose a long time ago to ignore large parts of the EU and I think this is yet another part best left alone.

Nya Halcyon
Dec 4th, 2009, 02:17:22 PM
Ah but the new setup isn't EU. It's Lucas' own brainchild....

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 4th, 2009, 02:32:45 PM
Eh, the old man's out of touch with the galaxy.

Nya Halcyon
Dec 4th, 2009, 02:40:07 PM
As someone put it over on the official SW forum...

Is this a push to turn the SW universe to a kid friendly place? Where the bad guys are only bad because they have force powers and the rest are simply misguided? ... Ret Cons are fine, if they logically fit, continuity changes are fine if they logically fit or at the very least tie things together in a manner that allows folks to follow WHY they were done, but wholesale change to a known group like is being done to the Mandolorians, is like revamping the Jedi to being used speeder bike sales men on the side and holonet preachers all as part of their other jobs.

Shadow Storm
Dec 5th, 2009, 10:11:34 AM
I haven't yet read whatever new content it is that has the Mandos as being pacifists in time's past, but from what I gather, they're basically just like the Camaasi, except they were able to salvage their homeworld, and instead of spreading their messages of peace and unity around the galaxy, they chose to blow up a small part of it instead?

I'nu
Dec 13th, 2009, 06:50:02 PM
I haven't yet read whatever new content it is that has the Mandos as being pacifists in time's past, but from what I gather, they're basically just like the Camaasi, except they were able to salvage their homeworld, and instead of spreading their messages of peace and unity around the galaxy, they chose to blow up a small part of it instead?

Sounds like...fun?