PDA

View Full Version : Live Action Star Wars series in preproduction?

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 9th, 2009, 12:48:45 AM
http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/rumor-mill-live-action-st.php

Our Australian sister site SCI FI TV reports a rumor that preproduction is gearing up for George Lucas' proposed live-action Star Wars series, which is to be shot Down Under.

The site, citing anonymous sources, adds that the show is assembling high-quality writers from the Aussie TV industry, including writers from Love My Way and Secret Life of Us, who have been approached by Lucas' longtime producer Rick McCallum.

The as-yet-untitled series is supposedly set to debut in 2010, though there has been no word of a distributor yet. The series will reportedly be set between the eras of Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope and will not feature any major characters from the film series.

Don't fail us now, Georgey boy...

Crusader
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:35:24 AM
I still hope that they will make more like a mini series or at least a show with a set number of seasons and a series over arching plot. OH and I want a lot of episodes with guest directors and writers:
Imagine SW Fans like Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon would be doing episodes for this show :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 9th, 2009, 10:40:41 AM
Joss Whedon and Star Wars.. I cannot imagine that mix at all. In fact, all I see in my mind for that is Firefly :lol

Crusader
Jul 9th, 2009, 11:14:28 AM
Imagine Paul Verhoeven and Roland Emmerich would create some stuff for the show as well.

Emelie Shadowstar
Jul 9th, 2009, 12:18:19 PM
Joss Whedon and Star Wars.. I cannot imagine that mix at all. In fact, all I see in my mind for that is Firefly :lol

I fail to see a problem here. :lol

Hmm...I...won't get my expectations/hopes up. But may still watch it...or not. I haven't touched any of that clone wars cartoon stuff (movie or series) so this would almost have to get awesome reviews for me to even consider it.

Aaron Belargic
Jul 9th, 2009, 12:35:32 PM
Some of the Clone Wars 3D series was actually pretty good. If I remember right, it go a lot of positive chatter here - so who knows, maybe there are some decent writers behind this too :) I hope so. Whatever the case, I'm sure I'll be watching.

Oh, and I have no problem with Firefly :D I just don't think Joss could do Star Wars without straying away from that authentic Star Wars feeling we know and love, especially when it comes to dialogue. (Ok maybe we don't love the dialogue :lol but Whedon's style just.. doesn't fit SW, I don't think)

Crusader
Jul 9th, 2009, 01:17:37 PM
OMG you are right. Joss would need to write wooden and stiff lines instead of ultra cheesy nerdy ones. I guess he would need some kind of coach for that.

My point is: Everyone is always talking about how SW has lost its way and every SW Fan thinks to know how it could be done better. So why not invite some of the most talented SW Fans in this world down under to do episodes for that show as an ultra fan service.
Hell I would love to see one episode done by Kershner as a guest director as well.
Oh and the animated clone wars series is fun and features some of the coolest lightsabre fight choreographys.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 9th, 2009, 01:25:53 PM
I thought the 3D Clone Wars was pretty good, aye. The series was better than the movie, imo - I'd be inclined to skip over the movie, and watch it after you've fallen in love with the series.

As for Joss Whedon + Star Wars = Firefly ... how is that a reason not to do it? :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:40:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

Lucas has stated that the series will not feature Darth Vader, Palpatine, or any Jedi characters, stating that "the Emperor and Darth Vader are heard about — people talk about them — but you never see them because it doesn't take place where they actually are. There are stormtroopers and all that, but there are no Jedis [sic]."[16]

No real news on this that I know of, but I just wanted to give the thread a bump since the show is supposed to enter production sometime this year.

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:49:00 PM
Wait a minute - no Jedi at all? Not even one? Not even a character who is secretly a Jedi exile?

*sigh*

edit: After a moment's thought it makes sense. When Luke came along (after Ben and Yoda die) he's the LAST Jedi. So. I guess for the Jedi to become a rumor and a mystery there shouldn't be any around.

Karl Valten
Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:59:21 PM
For the love of god, finally. I'm glad there won't be any Jedi, I'd like to see more of the more 'normal' people in the galaxy working hard to survive without any of the force hocus-pocus. :p

Droo
Apr 2nd, 2010, 07:56:59 PM
For the love of god, finally. I'm glad there won't be any Jedi, I'd like to see more of the more 'normal' people in the galaxy working hard to survive without any of the force hocus-pocus. :p

Completely agree with this here. The SW universe is sooo incredibly interesting enough that it doesn't have to fall back on Jedi/Sith stuff to produce good stories.

D'Kor
Apr 2nd, 2010, 09:49:57 PM
Hmm, I'm not actually holding my breath for this sadly. Somehow I think a SW live action will feel too...dated. From all the movies there's been a certain level of "cut and dry" feeling about the background and environments; probably why I took so well to Firefly. But I'd have to say that'd be my only concern, other wise I hope for the best and expect the worst.

Not to change subject but this caught my attention more than the SW tv series (Was in the same article when I first read about the SW live action) *Possibly NSFW* http://scifiwire.com/2009/12/brilliant-trailer-for-ama.php
(http://scifiwire.com/2009/12/brilliant-trailer-for-ama.php)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:13:12 AM
I hope they do get the chance to make that show - it looks like a lot of fun!

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 3rd, 2010, 08:51:15 PM
Fuck off Lucas. We dont Australia associated with your crap anymore

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 5th, 2013, 01:55:10 PM
Years later... Disney is apparently considering this format as part of their 'make all the Star Wars things' initiative:

http://www.themarysue.com/star-wars-tv-show-abc/

Crusader
Aug 6th, 2013, 04:44:33 AM
This is not the first time SW comes to the small screen and it would not be the last or first time that it fails. If it is good we will remember it as canon and if it is bad we will try to forget it like the holiday special. Clone Wars was cool, Rebels looks kind of amazing and so my current expectations are optimistic.
You can do good and solid SciFi/Fantasy TV on a "small" budget these days. Just look at BSG, Caprica, Defiance and especially at the Forward unto Dawn and the Mortal Kombat webseries.

Captain Untouchable
Aug 6th, 2013, 11:08:36 AM
I wonder when they'd set a TV show, if they get around to making it. With the new movies and Rebels, they're already telling stories at two different points in history. If they added a third, they could use a TV show - perhaps a Rogue Squadron / X-Wing series based one (oh god, please that) - to show some of the "this is how we got from Episode VI to Episode VII" stuff: I imagine that is something they might need/want to do.

On the flipside, it might be kinda cool to have something like Agents of SHIELD, where you've got a TV show happening in the background of your movies, focusing on what the people who aren't the celebrity heroes are doing. I'd given up on the EU by the time the Solo/Skywalker kids were old enough to be main characters... but if they aren't adapting the EU directly, I guess they could adapt whichever characters they wanted. Some sort of Rogue/Wraith/Page's Commandos series that sets the scene for and reacts to the events of the movies? That could be pretty cool.

Edit:

If they don't make an X-Wing based TV series, can we kickstarter one? I have organs I'd be willing to sell on the black market to get Wedge, Tycho, Corran, Pash, Nawara, Gavin, Erisi, Mirax, and co going up against Ysanne Isard on screen. :ohno