PDA

View Full Version : Dragon*Con Goodies - what are YOU bringing?

Mandy with an I
Jun 21st, 2009, 11:07:46 PM
Things I'll be bringing

- As many bags of maple syrup cashews I can get, since I don't think two is enough for everyone (and they are promised to Charley and Liz)
- Christmas stuff for Charley and Christin

If I can do it without getting hassled by The Man at the border, I'll also try to bring a bottle or two of our lovely local wines. Hopefully I'll be able to get a bottle of this (http://www.peller.com/niagara/product-details.php?Products_Category_ID=&options_ID=3&options_values_ID=15&Products_ID=489), since even I think it sounds good :)

e: lulz cant type

Wyl Staedtler
Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:19:39 AM
Mac nuts of assorted flavours, Kona coffee, peri peri, hopefully some biltong if I can get it, lava salt, uhhhh maybe some li hing mui?

Also taking requests. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:27:42 AM
^ weedmelon.

I'm not sure what to bring, aside from Charley's Campari and Kina Lillet, plus some random stuff I'm going to pick up in Amsterdam during my change-over there. I'll just see what I have space for when I'm packing :mneh

Harold Alexander Truss
Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:36:44 AM
li hing mui

Second time I've heard it brought up today, so yes please. Waterblommejie in a can also?

As for me, I ain't bringin shit. I already done brought it, aww snap.

But seriously I'll cook for all you guys who come out to my place and also provide a few good libations here and there.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:16:15 AM
I can't think of anything special to bring. :o I mean, I can get wine out the ying-yang, but I don't want to risk flying with it. Pop goes the bottle?

I saw some chick at baggage claim once pull her bag off the conveyor and she'd put a bunch of soda or something in her checked luggage. NOT a good idea. :lol

Salem Ave
Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:52:35 AM
I'm bringing alcohol in my suitcase but I'll be sealing it in something airtight and keeping it well padded so I don't arrive with a suitcase of Campari soaked clothing!

Karl Valten
Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:29:55 AM
Mac nuts of assorted flavours, Kona coffee, peri peri, hopefully some biltong if I can get it, lava salt, uhhhh maybe some li hing mui?

Also taking requests. :)

ZOMG mac nuts OM NOM NOM.

Hmmm, I have no idea what to bring. Anyone need anything from Minnesota/Wisconsin?

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:56:32 AM
For Charley..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tehwofl/3650108751/

booya!

Mandy with an I
Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:16:53 PM
I can't see your picture :( but I have a Flicker Account now (MandiMatronic).

I don't know if I can buy wine here and bring it across the border. I think I might have to call the airline or something >_<

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:18:14 PM
Oops, here it is:

:)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:14:37 PM
THAT's what Charley is lusting after? I guess I didn't look at any of the other links you had for it.

You can't get that in 'Bama??

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:18:42 PM
Apparently not. Only the specialty booze place sells it in my city. Other than that, you can buy it online.. but I guess Alabama has some law against shipping in booze by mail? :huh Idk.

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:22:40 PM
I have no idea what to brings!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:46:21 PM
We have that in like every store here in Oregon. :) That's why I was surprised. I stocked it all the time. hehe

Karl Valten
Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:07:27 PM

We can bring something that is symbolic to the midwest mebe?

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of is cheese and PBR. :lol

Harold Alexander Truss
Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:11:23 PM
ilu jennay <3

THAT's what Charley is lusting after? I guess I didn't look at any of the other links you had for it.

You can't get that in 'Bama??

Plenty of restaurants stock it here (Highland, Chez Fonfon, etc), but I can't find a store that carries it for me to buy. If I can't find it in a store, I'm boned. As Jenny said, we can't ship booze here or order online. It's one of many incredibly stupid booze laws in Alabama.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:39:55 PM
Interesting. Also Ty told me wine most likely would be fine in a plane. If I can find the lillet rouge did you want that? O_o

Charley
Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:33:25 AM
Not really anything I can think of that I'd use it for, but that only makes me curious. If you can spare the room I'd love to get a bottle :)

Captain Untouchable
Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:56:36 AM
Someone should bring a pole.

And bikinis.

And a webcam. :(

Salem Ave
Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:42:32 AM

Just your fine self will do ;)

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:22:47 AM
Surely I would have to bring more then that, since myself cannot be describe in such a manner >_>

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:34:35 AM
oh, don't be coy :D

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:53:32 AM
:: hides behind her cat ::

Emelie Shadowstar
Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:51:19 PM
Apparently I am bringing home baked chocolate chip cookies. Which no doubt will be all stuck together and a little melty when I get there. :D

Mandy with an I
Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:43:55 PM
I bought two more bags of cashews, and I may pick up some rare canadian delicacies like ketchup chips and chocolate smarties from work closer to the trip.

Our liquor stores might be going on strike, so I may have to go to a winery to get the wine I want :ohnoes

Wyl Staedtler
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:11:05 PM
Ketchup crisps! :love

Do Old Dutch still make them? Do they still come in the cardboard boxes? OH EARLY CHILDHOOD STAPLES, I MISS YOU.

Xavier Synik
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:27:21 PM
Uh... I don't think Old Dutch make them any more. Haven't really looked lately, but they do put them in bags now :p

and Mandy. I think the Wine Shops will still be open... The selection isn't as great but if your looking for a Peller or something from Jackson Triggs or Inniskillin you should be okay...

Most large Metro or Lablaws stores have them.

Mandy with an I
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:37:06 PM
I want the Peller Signature Ice Cuvee Rose! XD Because it sounds delicious.

I know Zerhs has Old Dutch chips, we don't sell them at work though. I have some errands to run tomorrow, so maybe I'll have a boo there. Plus they have a wine shop. I live in Niagara, so I'll probably buy something local :)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:07:14 PM
I can't think of any "cool" Florida stuff to bring.

Wyl Staedtler
Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:08:45 PM
Charley - any other ZA specialties you want? My uncle is sending a package and we might as well fill it up (no word yet on whether he managed to get a hold of elephant biltong or not).

Waterblommetjies are a go. :D

ETA: Springbok biltong though - yay?

Hobgoblin
Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:36:42 PM
This is the list of people I have already scheduled a gift or surprise for:

Jenny: Fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies from scratch. (I am a sniper of my word ) PS Charley need to borrow your kitchen for a bit. ^_^
Charley: Alcohol of some description. Possibly something else if I come up with something nifty.
Christin: A surprise! (there will be no telling)
Liz: I’ve already promised you a particular gift that I intend to make good on. Possibly two more surprises, though one of them would not be for you so much.

I am trying to think of things for other people that will be in attendance. If anyone else would like a surprise or specific gift, please say something. I’m more than happy to come up with something if you can’t think of a gift the state of Virginia uniquely supplies.

Miranda Tarkin
Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:38:27 PM
Being from the Midwest (Chicago Burbs), it is boring. There is really nothing here you can't get anywhere else..

Oh wait. I lied. We have awesome pizza :yum. Not bringing that on a plane tho :lol

Charley
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:23:16 PM

I know Zerhs has Old Dutch chips, we don't sell them at work though. I have some errands to run tomorrow, so maybe I'll have a boo there. Plus they have a wine shop. I live in Niagara, so I'll probably buy something local :)

I'll certainly compensate you if you get a good ice wine, or anything else local really.

Charley - any other ZA specialties you want? My uncle is sending a package and we might as well fill it up (no word yet on whether he managed to get a hold of elephant biltong or not).

Waterblommetjies are a go. :D

ETA: Springbok biltong though - yay?

Let me look in my Afrikaner book for more random stuff I don't know about :D

I will take any biltong you are offering, for serious. Just mark the container "rat poison" or "dead babies" or "dead babies covered in rat poison" so Christin doesn't eat it. Otherwise, the closest I'll get to the stuff is close enough to smell it :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:30:11 PM
Just mark the container "rat poison" or "dead babies" or "dead babies covered in rat poison" so Christin doesn't eat it. Otherwise, the closest I'll get to the stuff is close enough to smell it :(

Haha now I know your plan. I'm totally eating the next container of dead baby rat poison I find :)

As for gifts, I've got a few things in mind ;)

Charley
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:41:27 PM
Haha now I know your plan. I'm totally eating the next container of dead baby rat poison I find :)

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Hobgoblin
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:44:27 PM
Well done, Charley. Well done indeed. Excellent usage of "the Sicilian"'s lines.

We also would have accepted "You fool! You've activated my trap card!"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:49:04 PM
Except I am Sicilian :huh

Xavier Synik
Jun 24th, 2009, 09:26:44 AM

Oh then you shouldn't have any problems getting something if your in Niagara.

I'm kinda glad I don't... I'd be broke buying all the wine...

Mandy with an I
Jul 12th, 2009, 04:23:32 PM
I finally found Old Dutch Ketchup chips, after looking in like, 4 stores. :eee