PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 2 (2010)

Rutabaga
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:20:57 PM
Hey, you knew this thread was going to get started sooner or later! :)

So here's a link to a short USA Today article about Iron Man 2, complete with a photo of Mickey Rourke as Whiplash.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-06-09-ironman2-rourke_N.htm

EDIT: Here's a link to see a hi-res version of the picture:

http://screenrant.com/mickey-rourke-whiplash-in-iron-man-2-pic-vic-12687/mickey-rourke-as-whiplash-in-iron-man-2/

Darth Turbogeek
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:35:11 PM
Date of release pls, I'm there!

Rutabaga
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:44:29 PM
May 7, 2010...mark it on the calendar! :eee

Captain Untouchable
Jun 10th, 2009, 06:53:38 AM
It certainly looks like Whiplash - sans the mask, of course - aside from those dorky looking wrist bits. It seems a bit unwieldy; almost as if the arm parts are too long for him to get a decent grip on the whip. It concerns me that he might wind up being more of a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man than actually being able to crack his whips properly; whip-cracks are, as I'm sure the kinky amongst you know, all in the wrist. ;)

Sounds like they're factoring in some Crimson Dynamo stuff with Whiplash, so we may see some sort of more high-tech version of the suit later. I'm not quite as tingly over the notion of another "somone copied Tony's technology" premise for a villain ... but if nothing else, I guess fudging the two together checks yet another Iron Man clone off the list for future sequels!

However, it does look like they've got a Justin Hammer storyline going on between the two of them, so at least we've got a big slice of the storyline coming our way. And, there's also Black Widow to deal with - anyone else expecting a "They start out as enemies, but team up to fight Whiplash, and then at the end Nick Fury wanders off with her to preface her eventual membership of the Avengers" plot going on there?

Ah, well. Regardless, its Iron Man, its Jon Favreau, and its Robert Downey Jr. This movie will be awesome! :eee

Elias Akasha
Jul 16th, 2009, 09:05:45 AM
Article (http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/this-weeks-cover-iron-man-2.html) thingy, complete with picture of Scarlett Johansen as Black Widow. :eee

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 16th, 2009, 10:30:59 AM
Scarlett as a red-head. Oh my. :o

Drin Kizael
Jul 16th, 2009, 11:05:15 AM
I found out by way of this article...
http://screenrant.com/scarlett-johanssons-black-widow-iron-man-2-rob-17383/

Good. God.

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/iron-man-2-scarlett-johansson-black-widow.jpg

Why yes Miss Romanov, I'd be happy to tell you whatever you want to know.

Darth Phantom
Jul 16th, 2009, 12:45:10 PM
I can't wait!

Rutabaga
Jul 19th, 2009, 02:40:48 PM
Look what I pulled out of my mailbox yesterday! :crack

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/Rutabaga64/EWironman.jpg

Miranda Tarkin
Jul 19th, 2009, 02:41:17 PM
That cover shows everything that I love :lol Magnificent

Rutabaga
Jul 19th, 2009, 02:46:35 PM
I have to admit my biggest squeals were reserved for the True Blood banner :angel. But I love the Iron Man photo too :).

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 20th, 2009, 10:46:11 PM
Augh that True Blood article was full of spoilers!!!

Hartus Kenobi
Jul 20th, 2009, 11:55:45 PM
this is going to be so awesome, it's not even funny. The first movie was fantastic, but this one will blow that one out of the water.

Captain Untouchable
Jul 21st, 2009, 05:20:41 AM
Apparently, Iron Man 2 has a new composer for the score: John Debney, rather than Ramin Djawadi. I'm not familiar with his previous stuff (having not seen Elf or Zathura), but he'll have to be pretty damned good to match up to the awesomeness of the Iron Man OST. :shakefist

Rutabaga
Dec 10th, 2009, 08:38:06 PM
Definitely eye-catching....

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb164/Rutabaga64/whiplashposter.jpg

Droo
Dec 11th, 2009, 05:24:32 AM
I have to admit, that particular poster irks me. It looks like he's some sort of sci-fi fetish Prince of Persia.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 13th, 2009, 05:49:15 AM
Is that the first poster for this movie? If so, I agree with Droo - it doesn't exactly scream Iron Man to me.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 13th, 2009, 01:21:35 PM
There is another poster, this isn't the first one.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 16th, 2009, 08:23:46 PM
First Trailer is out
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

It looks great, love the end with Iron Man and War Machine fighting those robots. I am assuming that is Justin Hammer's doing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 17th, 2009, 12:23:26 AM
That. Was. Freakin' awesome!

:eee

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 17th, 2009, 01:58:48 AM
Oh, Tony.. :3

Rutabaga
Dec 17th, 2009, 07:34:49 AM
That. Was. Freakin' awesome!

I second that emotion. :eee

But Garry Shandling as a senator? That's just weird! O_o

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 17th, 2009, 01:44:19 PM
No weirder than Al Franken as senator.

Xavier Synik
Dec 17th, 2009, 02:10:03 PM
The 2 seconds at the end make it all worth while.

Edit: Not that the rest wasn't cool too.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 17th, 2009, 03:08:27 PM
Yeah my hubby was watching it with me and he was like "who's that guy supposed to be? :huh" and I said "Whiplash, I think, though I don't really know anything about that villian..:uhoh" and he was like "Hmm... :|" and then he was like "OMG War Machine!! :eee :dance" and it was awesome. :lol

Miranda Tarkin
Dec 17th, 2009, 04:50:53 PM
My gf and I were squealing together XD

Peter McCoy
Jan 3rd, 2010, 09:47:59 AM
In that poster of Whiplash, he looks like an impotent dual-wielding Jedi.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:53:02 PM
http://video.fr.msn.com/watch/video/iron-man-2-images-exclusives/jm7qrw3n

Behind the scenes Iron Man 2, exclusive on MSN France.

:D

Tear
Mar 8th, 2010, 05:19:44 PM
New Iron Man 2 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzuBOefL8I). Woooo

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oOzuBOefL8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oOzuBOefL8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Atreyu
Mar 8th, 2010, 06:04:21 PM
Yay Samuel L. Jackson! :dance

Captain Untouchable
Mar 8th, 2010, 06:07:09 PM
"Mr Stark displays textbook narcisism? ...Agreed." :lol

Not sure about the suit in a suitcase... the helmet part was rather swankly, and in terms of concept / graphics it's awesome... I think it'll just take a while for the silver to grow on me. :\

Oh, and can I jump on the "War Machine! :eee :dance" bandwagon? :D

Rutabaga
Mar 8th, 2010, 08:49:24 PM
Um...I running off to get in line. NOW.

Droo
Mar 8th, 2010, 09:19:38 PM
I still hate the way Mickey Rouke looks like a tacky WWE wrestler, and I do wonder about the relevance of his character to the story. It looks like a big gimmick to me and his incoherent muttering just makes it more difficult to believe there's any substance going on at all there because as much as I loved the first film, the last third of it (ie. the Transformers bit) was dull and predictable. I fear we may be in for more of the same with the sequel. That aside, the rest looks great and Robert Downey Jr. is on impeccable form.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 8th, 2010, 10:43:44 PM
Ahhh yeas AC/DC what a FINE soundtrack you make :D

Captain Untouchable
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:09:52 AM
From what I can infer from the trailer, Whiplash seems like a pretty classic plot device. Tony Stark has this notion that he's invincible, because of his fancy technology. By adding in another character that utilises the same sort of technology, it strips away much of Tony's advantage, and underlines the fact that he's "just not the hero type".

By doing that early in the movie, it presumably highlights to the US Military that Tony is maybe not ideally qualified for all this, hence the genesis of War Machine. And it no doubt highlights it for Tony as well, so he eventually gets over his lone wolf mentality and accepts help from Rhody... and eventually sets him up as a team player for the Avengers, etc.

That's what I inferred from the trailer, anyway. :uhoh

Atreyu
Mar 29th, 2010, 06:41:57 AM
New sneak preview that was screened during the Nickelodeon's Kid's Choice Awards:

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thmvaa3qv_w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="385" width="640"></object>

Evest Neel
Apr 25th, 2010, 08:47:34 PM
I am so looking forward to this. :eee

Peter McCoy
Apr 27th, 2010, 09:23:33 AM
3 more days!

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2010, 01:13:09 PM
I have tickets to see this on Sunday :eee

Rutabaga
Apr 27th, 2010, 07:51:19 PM
May 7th is the release date on this side of the pond :).

So far I hear reviews are that it sucks and is nowhere near as good as the first one. :\

But that won't stop us from seeing it, will it? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2010, 08:36:06 PM
May 7th is the release date on this side of the pond :).

So far I hear reviews are that it sucks and is nowhere near as good as the first one. :\

But that won't stop us from seeing it, will it? ;)

Few reviews are saying it sucks, most are saying it is a good movie just not as good as the first.

Figrin D'an
Apr 27th, 2010, 08:56:36 PM
Few reviews are saying it sucks, most are saying it is a good movie just not as good as the first.

This is mostly what I've been hearing as well. Really good in some parts, kinda iffy in others. The prevailing opinion seems to be that the characters are well-played (Downey Jr. again being dead on as Tony Stark), but that the story kind of lags at times. Still should be fun though.

Rutabaga
Apr 28th, 2010, 06:46:33 AM
I guess it was basically Variety and The Hollywood Reporter reviews that were mentioned in news stories I've seen. Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic will show a clearer picture for sure.

All I know is, I'm really looking forward to it. I've been through a couple of really stressful weeks, and knowing that I get to go see RDJ in all his Tony Stark goodness next week is a really big pick-me-up. :eee

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2010, 09:54:12 AM
Rotten Tomatoes has it at 81% so far. I think it will be a fun movie, most of the reviews do say the last 45 minutes is great.

Dasquian Belargic
May 2nd, 2010, 04:40:07 PM
It was fun, but I prefered the first movie. There was just something about the story that was lacking for me.

Droo
May 2nd, 2010, 05:01:51 PM
I thought it was really fun and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, since the second half of the first film now bores me. Most of the humour worked very well and there was lots of it too. RDJ was brilliant and there were great one-liners all over the place. But, like Jenny said, the story was lacking and I think it was because they tried to over-complicate it with this tale of revenge and history and as I mentioned earlier, Mickey Rouke's character was the weak link for me. Not Mickey Rouke himself but I just couldn't care for this character of his with his backstory and his quest for revenge - which was vaguely motivated at best. But anyway, a very enjoyable film.

Dasquian Belargic
May 3rd, 2010, 07:26:47 AM
I am looking forward to seeing how they use Iron Man in the Avengers franchise, though! As much as I like how the two movies have shown growth in Tony as he comes to first becomes, then comes to terms with being, Iron Man... I want to see him against a better villain. RDJ is still the big draw of these movies and whilst I don't expect his enemies to out-shine him in terms of charisma, I think he need someone more interesting and complex to face off against.

Aurelias Kazaar
May 7th, 2010, 08:19:27 PM
That would be either The Mandarin or Ezekiel Stane. Maybe Living Laser.. I think Ghost would be interesting too in a small part (kinda like Black Widow in IM2).

I thought Iron Man 2 was really enjoyable and a fun film. The thing about Tony Stark isn't that he thinks he's the smartest man in the room; it's that he is the smartest man in the room (and willing to admit it). And we saw it on display in Iron Man 2.

It's really comparable to say Spider-Man 2, in the sense that the character knows how to have fun, even though it's facing insurmountable odds. And the best part...it didn't try to be Dark Knight.

But like DK it built on the first and established new ground as well.

I wanna see it again :lol

Nathanial K'cansce
May 7th, 2010, 09:05:03 PM
I think it was on par with the first film, though I never really held the first one in really high esteem. Both are fun, and constitute good action flicks.

Lykaios
May 8th, 2010, 01:09:39 PM
I enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely not as good as the first one, the story was indeed lacking at times and they tried to make up or it with mind-blowing special effects.

There couldn't be a better Tony Stark than RDJ, his performance was brilliant.

Anybody stayed after the credits? What did you think? If you haven't seen the film yet, you may or may not want to stay.

Xavier Synik
May 8th, 2010, 01:54:19 PM
went and saw this yesterday but just getting around to posting.

Not sure if I just went into it with really low expectations (blame TF2) or what, but I really enjoyed it. I'd definately see it again.

While I'd agree that the story was a bit lacking, I didn't find it that bad. The end while cool was a bit short, but I guess that's the nature of the beast sometimes.

As for the after the credits... Not worth staying for IMO. I'm pretty sure that everyone on this board would know what they are teasing at.

Dasquian Belargic
May 8th, 2010, 02:51:06 PM
Yeah, the length of the credits vs. the length of the post-credits scene... not worth it. I'm sure it must be on Youtube somewhere already, but if you haven't seen it it's Thor's hammer - which is pretty predictable, given which Avengers movies we are expecting next.

I was glad to hear that the cast are all up for doing another movie though. You can really tell that they all, RDJ especially, have fun making these movies :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 8th, 2010, 06:06:34 PM
I saw it today and really enjoyed it, the beginning was slow but it had second half.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 8th, 2010, 06:51:17 PM
I liked it a lot. :D

Figrin D'an
May 8th, 2010, 09:05:48 PM
I thought it was pretty solid. It didn't flow quite as well as the first film, but it still had the elements to make it work overall. The acting was the strength of the film (a pretty damn good cast when you look at it). Action sequences were done well. The story had some shaky spots, and the Ivan Vanko/Justin Hammer villain team never really feels like that much of a threat to Iron Man, unlike how Obidiah Stain did in the first film. Really, this is more about Tony Stark coming to terms with what it means to be Iron Man, understanding his father's legacy and his own, and of course finding a solution for his palladium poisoning.

It'll be intriguing to see the direction the storyline for Iron Man 3 is developed, since this will be, at minimum, after the Avengers film slated for 2012.

Rutabaga
May 9th, 2010, 02:08:38 PM
Not as strong as the first movie, it was a little too long and it sagged in the middle.

BUT...I enjoyed the hell out of it. I realized during the climax that I was sitting there in that darkened theater with the biggest, sloppiest, geekiest grin on my face. And I thought, Hell, this is why I like going to the movies. This is FUN!

As the rest of you have mentioned, the acting in this movie is really more than what some people might expect from a comic book movie. And Robert Downey Jr. carries it all on his ever-lovin' shoulders...you can tell he loves playing this role, it really truly shows. It was also fun that Jon Favreau appeared in front of the camera as well as directing the movie :).

My father was originally going to go with me since he enjoyed the first one, but he forgot it was opening this weekend and scheduled another obligation. But I've told him that if he's still interested in seeing it, I would not mind at all seeing it again. I had that much fun. :eee

I did stay through the credits, as did about half the audience. I thought it was worth it, short as it was...plus seeing Thor's hammer made sense, especially since there was also the cameo appearance of Captain America's shield earlier in the movie.

Sitting through the credits also led to my seeing the dedication of the movie to DJ AM...seeing him in the scenes at Tony's birthday party was kind of sad, especially since those scenes were so great. :(

Captain Untouchable
May 10th, 2010, 07:26:06 AM
I'm with Droo, in that parts of the first film are a bit boring. One of the big criticisms about Iron Man 2 is that the story is "thin" - but actually, I think that works in its favour in terms of rewatchability. The film isn't overly focussed on the nitty gritty twists and turns of the story: it just uses it as a foundation upon which it builds a variety of very entertaining scenes. If you watch the movie again, it won't be to find out what happens (because you already know): it'll be because you want to enjoy the characters again, or the geekout nerd moments, and I think that's a very shrewd way to have structured a film.

I like that they effectively retold the Demon in a Bottle storyline, but with a different kind of "demon". They've addressed aspects of that story - such as how Rhodey winds up in a suit - without explicitly copying; they made it their own, and I personally think it works really well. It also doesn't "harm" Tony's integrity to such a degree: the paladium poisoning isn't his fault, and it gets worse the more heroic he is, so rather than a "selfish" alcohol addiction, his downward spiral is far more heroic and selfless. Given that they needed to cover the spiral from start to finish within the narrative of a single film, I think they picked a very good way of handling it.

As a movie, in context with every other action movie out there, maybe it wasn't great. But as a comic book movie, it does a superb job of hitting a whole bunch of nails squarely on the head: and I think Mr Favreau deserves a lot of kudos for that.

Also, how awesome was Whiplash at the end? Far more interesting (and cool) a villain than the Iron Monger was, and completely not overdone. And, his mere existance worked so well to push forward the plot themes, to undermine that whole "other countries are years away from this technology", etc. I liked that his driving motivation was "to make God bleed" as well: in my opinion, that sort of character is the perfect villain for Tony Sark.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 11th, 2010, 04:28:17 PM
I died laughing during the Capt. America's shield scene. "Do you know what this is?!" "Its perfect! I need it right.... here..." :lol

Dasquian Belargic
May 12th, 2010, 02:01:32 PM
Oh yeah, I had a goofy grin on my face for that whole scene :D

Captain Untouchable
May 12th, 2010, 08:27:05 PM
I had to explain the significance of that to the people I went with. >_<

I need more geek friends in London. Or maybe I just need to corrupt the friends I already have... :mischief

Rutabaga
May 16th, 2010, 04:39:50 PM
I saw the movie for a second time today since my father wanted to see it. And you know what? I thought it was even better the second time around :).

Tear
May 17th, 2010, 01:56:14 AM
Saw it Saturday night at the Imax. Loved it. Possibly more then the first. Loved Mickey Rourke. Such a bad ass villain. His onscreen presence was very intimidating.

I think the two films working in cohesion are simply perfect. The first one held more story. Obviously to inform the audience of the origins and the characters. The second launched from that starting point into more of an action ride. Awesome.

Overall very fun super hero film. Definitely a good one to see in theaters.

Darth Turbogeek
May 27th, 2010, 09:11:27 PM
I enjoyed the shit out of this movie. I dont know if it was better or worse than the first one, or just different. Loved it and loved War Machine.

And Scarlett has a most delicious ass

Tear
May 28th, 2010, 05:33:26 AM
Found this earlier today. Iron BABY!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyoA4LXQco4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyoA4LXQco4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Rutabaga
May 28th, 2010, 07:03:56 AM
Heehee, I also posted that in the Awesome Video thread yesterday, I thought it was adorable. :)