PDA

View Full Version : Fire, possible gas explosion threat.

Peter McCoy
Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:59:19 PM
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/06/03/400-evacuated-after-suspected-gangland-attack-on-garage-100252-23784317/

The garage in question is about a minute or so away by foot. My nan's been evacuated, my mum's gone to the sports center to see if she's okay. And the police are still around, telling us to stay inside and away from the windows. Our road and a few others are cordoned off.

While I can appreciate the seriousness of this (danger of explosions if the gas mains are set alight) I'm wondering if this goes on and I have to stay home tomorrow :p

I saw the smoke on my way home on the train and had to go the long way round to the road I live on - the street I usually walk up from the station was off-limits as a bizzy was re-directing people since the garage is on that street. There's been nothing on Granada Tonight and the only info I've heard is from the Echo website and the odd helicopter with a loudspeaker.

Gonna call Droo since he lives on the same street as my nan albeit further down from where it happened.

EDIT: Just spoken with him - I actually woke him up :p

Mu Satach
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:06:13 PM
Gas leaks are scary!

stevenvdb
Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:49:05 PM
Must not run with what MU just said, must not make crude joke, must be mature and sympathetic.

*sigh*

Hope things are alright where you guys are.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:08:39 PM
Stay safe guys! :eek

Peter McCoy
Jun 4th, 2009, 02:13:03 AM
Police were still there this morning. A prefab had been placed at the top of the road where I turn to walk down to the station and the way was still cordoned off so I had to take the long way round. Thankfully it didn't cost me and I'm here in work on-time.

My nan ended up staying in her friends, but the police wouldn't let her go home even to shut her windows. And I bet you if there's been a break-in they won't have any form of compensation - bastards.

Droo
Jun 4th, 2009, 03:18:19 AM
Chill out with your compensation, lad! I doubt there'll be break-ins on account of the police being there to keep people out in the first place. Secondly, it's far more important to have your nan stay safe than to have her risk going up in an explosion. Yesterday, I saw a load of old biddies standing on street corners with their hands on their hips hissing and bitching about not being let back into their homes. And what kind of mentality is that? No doubt if those who insisted on returning to their homes were allowed to do so and went up in flames it would be their families crying "Compo!"

Compliance is a fickle thing but when it is your own immediate mortal safety on the line, and smoke is billowing over your head, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Then again, this is Britain, and the moaners will out... and wake their mates with phone calls! :shakefist