PDA

View Full Version : A Rolling Stone

Sanis Prent
May 16th, 2009, 10:26:50 PM
I hadn't made the trip back to the Dauntless in months. I'd put it off for a while, making do with odd jobs across the outer rim. My sweet job with Sasseeri Reeouurra was put out to pasture until I was given the nod, so I had to make up my lost revenue by doing odd jobs which were varying shades of legal. Not that it much mattered. What law was out here? The Empire was after my blood no matter if I played it straight, and there was probably only so much leeway I could get away with under the Alliance before that pendelum swung back. Partially, I'd stayed away from the Dauntless out of pride. I didn't want to admit it, but taking work from Lok felt like taking charity.

So in coming back, the straits had to be dire. I was broke. I had enough credits to fuel Layla for maybe a dozen parsecs and back, but after that, I had to find work. Cirr's grievance list had grown in the meantime. We were riding on a pile of unserviced maintenance jobs that was piling up. Part of me wondered if we wouldn't just blow up in deep space just to spite us all.

"Dauntless, this is Layla. Requesting clearance to dock."

The wait seemed longer than it was. The flight watch officer replied, sounding bored.

"Layla, you do not have docking clearance. Send proper transponder identification."

I rolled my eyes. The Alliance was getting enough of a spine to grow a swinging bureaucracy between its proverbial legs. Before, they were content with any warm body that could fly a ship or shoot a gun. These days, you had to know people.

"Don't you people keep records? I'm not new to this game. Is Lok s'Ilancy there?"

Silence. I couldn't tell if they were just going to ignore me, if they were fetching Lok, or whether they were debating on scrambling a fighter to chase torpedoes up my ass. Either way, the prickly demeanor wasn't welcome.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 16th, 2009, 10:42:44 PM
Secluded in Dan's office, Lok s'Ilancy busied herself ith the normal tasks that awaited her each day. Menial in most ways, and in others downright tedious. But, peppered in with such duties were still the odd requests here and there. She wasn't above the work that'd been given her, and most of the time she welcomed the quiet peace that accompanied her duties.

She provided counsel, discussed command decisions with Dan, and was respected enough to be allowed a greater amount of leeway than most of her station. After all; she was a Jedi. To those around her, she was their overseer and watcher. She gave their cause substance and the hope they had for a future - free of Imperial rule - a face.

She knew this. Dan knew this.

Every officer and soldier aboard the Dauntless would follow her order, yet she refrained from such shows of authority; it was simply something she did not desire. It was there, but it was most certainly not used.

A small light lit up on the desk she sat behind - it seemed that Dan's desk had become more her desk than anything, as the Lupine spent more time sitting behind it than he himself did. A call from one of the flight deck officers.

Half listening, s'Il kept most of her attentions on a datapad held in one hand. So engrossed was she that she payed no attention to the name of the ship that he'd claimed was requesting permission to dock; only that the captain had asked to speak with her.

A somewhat perplexed sigh, and the Lupine slowly set the 'pad down on the desk's surface. Lines of concentration could be seen on her face, and her eye finally went to the desk's built in screen.

"Very well. Patch him through."

Sanis Prent
May 16th, 2009, 10:49:24 PM
"What's this cold shoulder business on the pad, Lok?"

I shook my head, still riled up over the treatment.

"I do a few turns out in the galaxy and all of a sudden I get the riot act before I can land? Get your guys to cut me some slack? I need to tank up and make repairs."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 16th, 2009, 10:54:18 PM
She stared, then blinked a few times before a slow smile spread across her features. There was no mistaking the obvious joy in her eye at the sight of him.

"Sanis!"

What a wonderful break in the monotony brought on by the normal duties of her day.

"I... I'd not expected this."

She leaned back in her seat.

"You're here for repairs?" a sudden and rather concerned tone blanketed her normal misplaced accent.

"What sort of trouble have you gotten into?"

Sanis Prent
May 16th, 2009, 11:12:49 PM
"Nothing, seriously nothing at all."

It was a lie, but a white lie. No doubt the details of my exploits were too numerous and not quite nefarious enough to raise eyebrows.

"The usual wear and tear. I'd trade this ship for a new one, but I'd break Cirr's heart I think. I can't do that to the guy."

I smiled. She seemed happy to see us again.

"Don't suppose you could use a guy with a well-rounded resume on board for a few turns?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 10:05:27 AM
In the back of her mind she had to wonder if this was Sanis' way of finally coming around; of finally throwing in his lot with the Alliance. She half-suspected he'd never outright say it, but during every conversation they'd ever had on the subject there was always the feeling of uncertainty that she felt coming from him.

Her smile once more returned, and she gave a respectful nod.

"Of course. I'll instruct the docking chief to clear you for landing."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 10:41:22 AM
A smug expression crossed my face and I nodded.

"Yeah, he'd better damn well start remembering me."

A little mock salute as I moved to close the channel.

"Thanks chief!"

Punching the channel closed, I maneuvered towards the bay, which was suddenly a lot more accomodating. The guide lights flared up, beckoning me in to land, and I put the ship down.

After touchdown, Cirr and I breezed through the cool-down and dropped the gangplank. I grabbed my gear and moved to head down, and Cirr did the same. I paused, winking back at my Cizerack first mate, and cracked a smile.

"Let's see if we can milk this, right?"

The flight officer met us at the gangplank's terminus, and I started in on him.

"You treat all your friends out there like that asshole? With friends like that, who needs enemies? I'm sure Miss s'Ilancy gave you the scoop about me, so try and not forget a face so quickly next time I drop in."

He stammered to speak and I pushed the advantage.

"Look, I don't want to hear it. What I do want to hear is that you'll work hand in hand with this big guy over here and help to get a few screws turned down on our ship. We're on a busy schedule and I really don't want to tell the Jedi that I'm once again getting slowed down because you're being difficult. What's your name? Eh, nevermind that, just go on and pitch in, okay?"

I breezed by him before he could offer a rebuttal. Then, he was standing next to Cirr, who towered over him. Cirr looked down at the officer, and an ear flopped to the side.

"Hji."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 10:59:55 AM
s'Il knew well enough that Sanis would find her at his own pace, and so the Lupine busied herself with beginning inquiries into the availability of crew quarters for both Prent and Cirr. If her suspicions were true, then Layla would be here for a bit of time.

She gave herself a moment of time however, to clear away the small stack of datapads, and with that done, rose to stand.

Moving to a small glass table on one side of the office, the Lupine plucked up the two tumblers and decanter of Corellian whisky that sat on its' surface. These she set on the desk before resuming her seat to wait for Sanis.

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 11:11:21 AM
It didn't take long. The doors slid open and I strolled inside, a smile beaming on my face.

"Heh, nice gig. Definitely a step up from your Black Cat days isn't it?"

I straddled the chair opposite s'Il's, and didn't wait for the invitation to partake of the whisky. I knew she'd set it out for me.

"How's the responsible life these days?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 11:22:00 AM
She watched him with her own smile, waiting as he poured himself a measure of liquor before speaking. He hadn't changed; still brash, still with an undefinable swagger that only he could possess. The sight of him often made her think of many years past, and now was no different.

"It is what it is."

Sanis had enough mind to fill the second tumbler, and she accepted it with a gracious word of thanks.

She wore no uniform, nor even the more casual wear that she'd had while traveling aboard Layla; rather, she was dressed in the familiar cream-colored robes that all had become accustomed to.

"I'd not expected to hear from you for," she paused in thought, taking the moment to sip at her drink.

"... for, well, longer than this."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 11:38:40 AM
"I had a few jobs lined up but they've been put back a while."

She knew exactly which ones I meant, there was no reason to go into detail.

"In the meantime, I've been getting by. I figured I'd drop a line over here and see how everything was going with the ol' glorious revolution and whatnot."

I sipped from the whisky, pursing my lips thinly as I swallowed.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 11:47:17 AM
The Lupine watched him carefully, one corner of her mouth ticking upwards in the beginnings of a crooked grin.

"Glorious revolution," her amusement at his choice of words was more than evident.

"A lovely choice of words."

She leaned back in her seat, eye locked on his. A moment of silence, and she finally spoke once more. It was more than evident that while her question was serious, there was a playful tone in her voice to allow him some level of comfort in the whole matter.

"You would like something to do?"

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 11:49:45 AM
"Well..."

I played it very casual. It was always a tightrope to walk. I had all but thrown in with the Alliance out of pragmatism, but I still wasn't ready to admit it.

"...while I'm here, if you've got any work, I wouldn't mind the credits."

Still, it was a game that s'Il knew well.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 12:10:39 PM
A knowing smirk, and s'Il took another sip.

"I'm sure we can find something for you."

Setting the tumbler on the desk, the Lupine folded her hands into her lap. She watched him, taking in the casual demeanor he exuded over what she knew to be a truthful desire to help.

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 12:21:27 PM
"I also heard by the by that you locked up old Zem."

I arched an eyebrow at that as I took a drink. He knew the two went way back, so that was a nugget of info that had certainly caught his attention.

"Figured you guys were thicker than starship grease. What caused that to go down?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 12:41:40 PM
Pursing her lips, s'Il was quiet for a time as she mulled over his words. It was no real surprise that Sanis would know, but it was still a tender subject to be sure.

"There... " how to even begin explaining?

"There has been a lot that's happened while you've been gone."

Which was a rather large understatement.

Her gaze moved to the side for a few moments before settling on her glass.

"I was pregnant... " there really wasn't much else to say on that matter, as it was more than apparent that she was no longer with child. Even now she could still feel the child's ghostly, wordless cries for comfort and help.

"It was a boy."

She reached up to rub at her temple in the vain hope of alleviating the pain of remembrance.

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 12:45:30 PM
I set down my glass.

"Was."

Then something terrible had happened. It still didn't answer the question.

"I'm sorry, Lok. Really am."

I kept silent, expecting that she would finish explaining on her time.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 01:05:54 PM
"Before I left Schwartzweld, I sent Teagan with Zem, asking him to take her to the Jedi. I wanted her to be safe."

Her eye went finally to Sanis.

"I asked him to bring her back; she needs to be with Dan and I, and we need her just the same. He refused. I met with him," her shoulders slumped as she recalled the confrontation.

"... and he attacked me. He said I was too close to the Dark, that my own daughter would not be safe with me."

One hand went to rest over her midsection.

"I miscarried."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 01:11:33 PM
Something was wrong in this. I frowned as I took another drink.

"Wait, you left Tak with Zem to be safe? What happened on Schwartzweld?"

Another issue was ticking in the back of my brain.

"And why would Zem think you were straying too close to the dark side?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 01:29:23 PM
She reached forward to once more take up the glass, and sipping, the Lupine gave a thin-lipped grimace.

"One of Alliance Intelligence's agents arrived after you left. I knew of him, but outside of the short conversations that he and I had, there was nothing else. I'd certainly not expected his arrival.

"He accused Dan of trying to overthrow the Alliance; Sanis, I know you don't like Dan. I know you'd rather never see him again, but please. Try to understand me when I say that such an accusation is so far beyond everything that he and I used to fight for; what we still fight for.

"It was a slap in the face to the both of us."

The Lupine closed her eyes, and she shook her head.

"Dan has been fighting the Empire for longer than I have; he kept going when I refused to. When I went to Cathar, he never judged me or resented my decision.

"You have to understand the weight of such a thing as what that officer placed upon Dan's shoulders."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 01:35:14 PM
"But why would Zem say that you're leaning toward the Dark Side? You two have been close for a lot longer than that."

Something about this wasn't right at all. What wasn't she saying.

"I don't really care for either Dan or Zem honestly, but if you gave me a choice I know the one I'd make."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 01:56:14 PM
At that she gave a shake of her hed, lifting an arm up to rub the uppermost portion of her scar.

"That I don't know. There was always so much between him and I, and after he left I only know that he fell away. You were there when we came upon him; he'd killed a man, stolen credits. I can only guess that his priorities and views on the Force changed, and he thought me fallen from the Light."

A sigh.

"It is a hard realization for me. I thought he'd not changed so completely, and truth be told he'd not given any indication... until now."

There was no mistaking the utter heartbreak in her words, but his admission was enough to bolster the faith she had always placed in him.

"Your friendship I have always kept close to my heart, Sanis."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 02:06:20 PM
"I'm glad for that. I don't have many of them, you know."

I gave a half smile, still lingering on her words as I took another drink. She brought up Zem's rough track when we'd first met up with him as a group. It made me wonder exactly what she thought about my lifestyle.

"What happened with the Rebel agent?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 02:15:48 PM
"That I do not know. He effectively disappeared."

Expelling a long breath, the Lupine waved the thought of Byl Laprovik away.

"He's no longer our problem; the less heard from him the better. As it is, Intelligence is already out trying to hunt him down, which allows myself the ease of mind to focus on things far more immediate."

A faint smile.

"Like finding work for you."

Her eye danced as she looked at him from over the rim of her glass.

"I've already set up quarters for you and Cirr."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 02:20:10 PM
"Sounds like the sort of work I'd be good at, really. Not a registered bounty hunter mind you, but I've done a turn or two freelance."

It didn't make any sense, the way that she talked so dismissively about the agent. She was still with Dan, still helping to spearhead the Alliance, so why would an Intel agent make a claim like that, and where was he now? That he was missing was itself a little strange.

"Thanks, by the way."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 02:52:04 PM
"It's no hardship, honest."

s'Il smiled a genuine smile, finishing the dregs of her whisky.

"After all the fight you put up, it'll be nice to finally have you with the Alliance."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 02:53:32 PM
With the Alliance?

I raised an eyebrow, setting my glass down momentarily.

"What do you mean?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 02:57:01 PM
Her own tumbler set on the desk, s'Il went about tidying the random datapads scattered about.

"What I mean is, that it is nice to have you cast your lot in with us."

She gave a look to him while still neatly ordering the 'pads.

"Why else would you come to us?"

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 03:01:20 PM
I licked my lips lightly, leaning back in my chair.

"Lok, I need work. I'll admit I'm running lighter than I let on. I can barely do any work in Imperial space because of my past, but that's said and done. I get by in the fringes, and with who I can."

I shook my head.

"The Alliance? That big gleaming dream, all of that. It's nice. It's just not me."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 03:06:25 PM
"Sanis."

She stilled her hands, letting her palms rest on the desktop.

"You'd not have come to me if you hadn't made a decision one way or the other. You and I both know that you can't sit on the fence indefinitely. I couldn't stay away, and neither can you."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 03:10:35 PM
My jawline tightened.

"Maybe that's something that was easier for you. You grew up in a family full of tradition and rules. Went from that to the Jedi, and from that to the Alliance. You're happy with that, and with Dan. Good enough.

I'm not the kind of person who can lap up what some dweeb in a uniform dishes out to me because I'm supposed to. What's that ever gotten me before?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 03:19:33 PM
Her voice remained level, though it was easy to discern the beginning traces of controlled frustration.

"None of anything in my life has ever been easy. Do not presume to think such a thing."

She pursed her lips.

"And perhaps you do need to begin listening to people. Perhaps they may not be in uniform, but it would do you good to introduce discipline into your life. Begin thinking of others rather than yourself."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 03:30:18 PM
My smile had by now disappeared. I didn't like what she was pushing on me.

"I gave you, Tak, and Zem a home when you had nothing. I didn't have to do that. You're my friend. That's what matters to me. You act like I've got something I owe to this greater good out here and that I'm somehow less of a man if I question it all?

We come from different places, Lok. That's not me. I make the life I live for myself. I do what I can for my friends, but I've lived life without feeling like I had to explain myself, and what I was doing. This is the first time I've ever been made to feel that way.

Is that what you're really asking?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 03:40:12 PM
It was as the last word left his mouth that both her hands slapped the desktop, and she used the action as a prelude to rising to her feet. There was no outright anger in either her eye or her voice, but it didn't take much to see that what he'd said had struck a chord within her.

"What you did for me I'll never forget. How could I? You showed myself and Teagan a kindness that did not need to be asked for. As well, that you allowed Zem to stay was just as selfless.

"But what I'm asking you is to take all of that one step further. Don't let whatever you may feel for me exclude everyone else from the kindness that I was able to witness."

She leaned her weight on her hands ever so slightly.

"I never wanted to be a part of any of this - Dan will tell you. But I put aside my selfishness and did what had to be done.

"I'd never see you as less then a man if you refused, but I would see you as less then the human being I know you already are."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 04:07:41 PM
She cut me pretty deep with that. I opened myself up in a moment of weakness and told her how I felt. Regardless of her already knowing, it felt like a betrayal to have her use it against me.

"I didn't realize I was being set up for a recruitment pitch. After all these years I thought you'd know me well enough for that."

I stood up from my seat.

"I'm here, right now, for work. That's all it is. You want the help or not?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 04:21:05 PM
A finger was leveled at him.

"This was never a recruitment pitch. I thought that you'd made a decision to join with us. I'm sorry I misunderstood your intentions."

Standing up a little straighter, the Lupine squared her shoulders back. She stared at him long and hard, her breathing calm and shallow as their eyes remained locked.

"Very well then. You want to help? Help yourself off this ship. I don't have time to waste with those who can't get their lives together."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 04:27:27 PM
My eyes fixed on hers as I reached down to grab my glass, taking the last gulp before returning it to the table with a clatter of glass on glass.

"That's what it's all about then? My life's not together because I don't have jackets with pips and obligations to somebody else's idea of a greater good? You think some tow-headed farmboy who's pissed at the Empire's got his head screwed on any tighter than me just because he signs his name on the line for an idea he can barely comprehend?

What makes somebody like that better than me? You think for a second I couldn't go circles around half the pilots you've got on this ship?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 04:42:45 PM
"Bare though it may be, at least there is comprehension to some degree. And it is enough for anyone to know that the only choice we have is to fight out from under the Empire's oppression."

She leaned forward a little more, putting more weight on the desk between them.

"The bad part about is that you're smart enough to understand all of it; and you do. I know you do. What's worse is that you simply won't step away from this misguided delusion that you can wade this storm out without having to choose sides. Maybe I'd hoped that you would've grown out of that by now, but it's plain to see you haven't."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 05:25:26 PM
"Well, you wouldn't be the first person I've disappointed then."

I shrugged it off on the outside, but her words hurt a lot. I never thought I'd have to hear them from her. Anybody else, maybe. But not her.

Moving toward the door, I ran a hand through my hair and looked back.

"Be seeing you round, then."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 05:29:35 PM
She still stood, rooted on her feet. One eye remained a steely, unrelenting blue while the other a stark, unforgiving white.

s'Il pursed her lips.

"I highly doubt that."

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 06:04:53 PM
I looked back at her when she said that, furious that she was so careless to let something like that slip. I tensed to berate her right back, paused, and turned away, leaving her office.

The walk back to the ship was a long one, giving me enough time to think about what she said, and our falling out. I started to think about my previous unease with the whole Zem situation. Something was wrong with Lok. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I couldn't deny it either.

Cirr looked up at my early arrival back on Layla.

"You'rre back earrly."

He wiped a bit of grease off his face as he hauled himself up and out of the engine compartment.

"Yeah."

I pulled up a tool locker in the cargo deck and sat down on it.

"How soon can we push off? I don't think we're welcome here anymore."

Cirr's ears fell in a clear indicator of his mood, and I spent the next few minutes explaining exactly what she said. Eventually, he spoke.

"jI've backed you up forr yearrs, Sanjis. That won't change now. jI'm you'rre frrjiend."

A big hand fell on my shoulder as I looked up at the sympathetic Cizerack. I smiled weakly.

"And a good one at that. I can't afford to lose any more."

And as soon as I said it, I knew exactly what I had to do.

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 07:02:41 PM
I walked down the gangplank again, this time collected and determined. With a smirk, I singled out the flight deck officer, who had by this time been informed by s'Il that I was to be leaving soon. He looked pretty smug in that knowledge.

"Hey asshole, where do I go to sign up for this two bit outfit?"

That caught him off guard. The smirk was replaced by a frown, and again he was looking behind me at Cirr's looming figure.

"You know, to join up? Huzzah, hurrah, all that shit? Pretend I'm just another bantha fucking farmboy like half of you and give me the slip. Maybe I need credits for college, or maybe I'm just bored enough to let people shoot at me and pretend its a living."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 07:19:19 PM
Alone once more, the quiet of Dan's office allowed the Lupine enough chance to calm herself. She spent the time furiously finishing what little work there was left, skimming over the remaining reports and signing whatever needed her signature. Every motion she made was fueled by slowly dissipating anger until a sense of calm once more permeated her being.

By now Sanis had left most likely, and owing to the nature of their conversation, he'd likely not be back for a very long while.

A look to the whisky, and she gave a dissatisfied grunt. No. She needed something else to finish washing away the remnants of what transpired not long ago. Wine. Wine from home. And perhaps the evening spent once more pouring through the ancient Sith texts Dan had provided for her.

Rising from her seat, the Lupine was in the middle of skirting the desk when a chime announced an incoming message. A brief look of annoyance passed over her features, but she keyed the pad to accept.

Her eye went over the short text, informing her of Sanis Prent's rather sudden - and colorful - enlistment. It was all standard procedure for her to be notified, but still. Disbelief pulling at her features, she gave an infuriated snarl to no one at all.

"What???!!"

Henry McDonnaught
May 17th, 2009, 07:44:51 PM
Henry had seen the loud-mouth dude arrive, seen him just about leave too and, more's the pity - seen him turn around and come right back down the ramp again.

Straightening from his half crouch, Flight Officer Henry McDonnaught took a new interest in what the visitor was blathering about.

Wanted to join the cause did he? Well, one more pilot for Imperial target practice would no doubt come in handy, less shots aimed his own way Donut reckoned. The Alliance could use all comers and this guy was just angry enough to sign the dotted line. Good show.

Donut strolled over, not really wanting to become the target of Prent's colorful put-downs but he was as good as the next guy when it came to reeling in a new recruit.

"I can help ya there, buddy"

Even flashed the guy a cheery smile.

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 07:51:46 PM
Relieved to not spend any more time in the company of the flight deck officer, I turned around at the sound of the voice.

"Alright, that's what I'm talkin' about."

I put my hand out for the guy, even.

"Name's Sanis Prent. What's the first hot posting away from this rust trap? Me and my buddy here..."

I punched to the side, slugging Cirr in the arm.

"...want on it."

Cirrsseeto Quez
May 17th, 2009, 07:55:19 PM
"Ow, wajit, what?"

Cirr blinked in surprise.

"Me too?"

His mouth went agape and his ears drooped a little. He quickly recovered when he saw the look Sanis gave him, and nodded with a little more enthusiasm.

"Oh, uh, yeah. You know me, 100% Alljiance rready."

Oh no. How was he going to explain this one to Mama Taa? She was uneasy enough with the idea of him being a privateer on a small freighter.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 08:03:19 PM
Storming from the office, s'Il vaguely noted Dan standing beside his command chair, conversing with one of the comm officers. He had turned to watch her stalk from the bridge, and the Lupine was inwardly thankful that he chose not to follow.

For her, the trip to the main hangar deck was a short affair, spent brooding in carefully controlled silence beneath a mask of serene calmness. What was he doing?! Was this some sort of retaliation for what she'd said? It made sense that he'd do something just such as this to spite her, and the more she turned that thought over in her mind, the more s'Il found herself absolutely furious over the fact.

She marched from the lift, passing by clumps of personnel without so much as a nod of acknowledgement to their presence, and approaching the massive archway that led to the flight deck, the Lupine slowed to a halt.

She watched from a distance as both Sanis and Cir stood before one of the many flight officers on deck, folding her hands into the wide sleeves of her robe.

Henry McDonnaught
May 17th, 2009, 08:12:51 PM
Henry looked from Prent to Cirr, eyeing one even more dubiously than the other.

"Name's Hank McDonnaught" he responded, shaking the offered hand perfunctorily. "Im shippin' out to protect some Convoy soon...might not be the excitement you two're lookin for though." The unspoken sentiment that Sanis was joining up simply cause he was p-q'd about something was easily transferred by the diatribe of his impromptu volunteering. The last thing the Alliance needed was jerks who wanted to jump ship when the heat of the moment wore thin.

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 08:20:13 PM
I caught sight of Lok as she made her way to the balcony above. In that outfit, she was hard to miss. The barest of smiles crossed my face as I looked back down at Hank with a smirk.

"Convoy duty, eh? Sounds like the sort of thing you might need experienced pilots and mechanics for, right Cirr?"

Cirr reluctantly nodded at it, and I clapped a hand hard on his back.

"Thrilled then, Hank. Where do I sign?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 08:35:58 PM
The Lupine watched from her vantage, an unreadable expression written across her features. Was she truly angry? Was she truly in the right to feel so? She had seen the look he'd given her, and in many ways it was a slap in the face; a willful defiance of what she'd previously accused him of so recently.

Of course, there was also the possibility that his actions were merely the product of the heat of the moment, and once his senses returned, Sanis would spirit himself away.

She moved forward then, her hands coming out to rest on the railing as she continued to watch the scene unfold below her.

Henry McDonnaught
May 17th, 2009, 08:42:52 PM
"Pilots, mechanics" Henry nodded in agreement, "Guys who know their way around a freight bay and can stand a little boredom"

He watched the pair expectantly, but Prents grin seemed to only broaden as if to say 'bring it on'. The Cizerack just stood there.

Henry looked left, then right. "I er, dont think you actually have to sign anything right now. The fact that you were allowed dockage and appear to be free to come and go as you please is mostly all the clearance you need. Its not like guys are flocking in the thousands to stand against the Empire is it?"

The question was rhetorical, no one expected an answer.

"You will be assigned to the Rogue detatchment. What's the name of your ship?"

Sanis Prent
May 17th, 2009, 08:54:01 PM
I smiled nearly imperceptibly at that. At least it was still grass roots enough for somebody to walk up and say they want in, and that's all there was. All of my bad-mouthing the Alliance for getting too big for its breeches and it apparently didn't have its head quite up its ass yet.

Rogue detatchment? What a stroke. I knew of Rogue squadron as one of the perennial space combat units in the Alliance. They had a pretty long-standing reputation for being good.

"My ship's named Layla. Good in a firefight, good for moving freight, good about for anything you need. I've probably already done it a few times."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 17th, 2009, 09:27:04 PM
Her knuckles grew white as her grip on the railing tightened. She was an observer however, and would not interrupt. From her uppermost perch, s'Il brought in a long breath. What did he even hope to prove?

She wrestled with the notion of going down to the flight deck to berate him in the privacy of Layla, but indecision flooded her thoughts. Of course, it wasn't anything that she truly felt a burning desire to ponder and meditate over, and within moments the Lupine had pushed herself from the edge of the balcony to make her way down to the flight deck.

Henry McDonnaught
May 18th, 2009, 11:35:53 AM
"Experienced are ya? Well, even better" The Rebs would be glad of someone who didn't need much hand-holding and who might last longer than a standard 48hour stint.

"Come with me, we'll see the CO and then provision you up and load the Layla with some nice goodies for the Convoy. Your mate here doesn't talk much does he?" Donut looked at Cirr -- he was a big fella, "Dont see many Cizeracks round this part o' the galaxy nowadays."

Cirrsseeto Quez
May 18th, 2009, 10:44:05 PM
Cirr's ears perked up at the mention of goodies for Layla. Maybe this whole enlistment schtick wasn't a bad thing! His mind was already racing ahead to his ever-present list, and it caused the wag in his tail to pick up tempo.

Finally, he realized the pilot was talking to him, and he gave a toothy half-smile.

"jI'm lucky enough to get arround, jI guess."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 18th, 2009, 10:47:27 PM
Crews littering the main deck, s'Il waded her way through passing maintenance crews and pilots alike. She cut a deceptively calm figure, and her gait remained constant even as she drew nearer to the object of her ire.

Sanis Prent
May 18th, 2009, 11:17:58 PM
I saw s'Il coming out of the corner of my eye and paid her no mind. Let her spin. She could think what she wanted of it for all I cared.

I looked back at 'Hank' and the smirk returned.

"Experienced enough, yeah. How fast's the promotion wheel turn? Figure I can set a record."

Henry McDonnaught
May 19th, 2009, 01:41:20 PM
Henry gave a returning smile, "Yeah, you're gonna fit in just fine"

Just what the Rebs needed, another cocky flyboy out to rewrite history. Perris was gonna crap himself.

"Hello, here's trouble, Im bettin"

Donut stood a little taller and put on his best swagger-grin as s'Il approached. She was mad about somethin, even Henry could tell, though he couldnt say he knew Loklorien s'Ilancy except mostly by reputation. But, damn, she was fine.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 19th, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
s'Il allowed a genial smile to curl back the corners of her mouth as she came to a stop in front of the trio. A respectful dip of her head to McDonnaught, and she turned her eye to Sanis.

Her voice, a far cry from what it had been in Dan's office, was now pleasant; her lilting accent soft.

"You have changed your mind, then?"

Sanis Prent
May 19th, 2009, 07:47:15 PM
I looked at her as if seeing her for the first time, and wore a grin of pure unfettered bravado.

"I don't like being told what I can and can't do, or should and shouldn't."

Henry McDonnaught
May 20th, 2009, 12:54:27 PM
Prent and s'Il were being polite enough, but Donut felt a chill coming off the both of them. Weird.

He looked at Cirr, but found no hint of what was happening from him.

"Well, no man likes that does he?" Henry interjected with a jolly grin, which no body seemed to appreciate.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 20th, 2009, 06:14:45 PM
Sanis' smile was enough to put her off, but s'Il refused to allow him the satisfaction of seeing any sort of reaction outside of goodwill. She smiled courteously while turning her attention to McDonnaught.

"No, of course not, Mr. McDonnaught."

Her eye never left the Rebel pilot as the gaze she fixed upon him remained level and patient.

"You've taken in Mr. Prent then?"

Sanis Prent
May 20th, 2009, 09:06:00 PM
"Sealed the deal with a smile and a handshake."

I winked at her, inwardly wondering how long I could keep this up. Then I thought about what she said, and how it made me feel, and any regret fizzled.

"Cirr too. He's off to be the best wrench-turner in the Rebellion."

Cirrsseeto Quez
May 20th, 2009, 09:09:16 PM
Not appreciating being namedropped at all, Cirr's ears fluttered, and he found an opening.

"jI thjink therre's thjis thjing jI need to get...overr herre."

He backed away, and at the last minute, snagged Hank by the cuff and pulled him along.

"You too!"

He gave a distinctly stern trust me look to the Rogue Squadron man as he led him away from the potential trouble.

Henry McDonnaught
May 21st, 2009, 01:13:16 PM
Henry allowed himself to be removed from the conversation - good luck if he resisted, the Cizerack could probably reef his arm off with a twitch.

It was a pity though, Hank sensed fireworks were coming. Or, failing that, he'd hoped to make some sort of impression on the lovely Loklorien himself..

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 21st, 2009, 04:41:16 PM
A lofted brow was the only response that she gave to Cirr's rather obvious excuse to vacate himself and the pilot, McDonnaught. She watched as the big Cizerack fairly dragged the man away, and a rather bemused look touched across her face. What little time she'd spent within the cavernous confines of the Dauntless' hanger bays had been limited to say the least, and so her exposure to the men and women who made up the Rebellion's poison-tipped talons was minimal.

She afforded a farewell wave to McDonnaught at least, along with a sympathetic smile.

Then she angled her head up to meet Sanis' eyes.

Her smile remained, though it was easy to detect the solid iron baselines in her tone of voice.

"What are you doing?"

Sanis Prent
May 21st, 2009, 05:01:26 PM
I fished a stim packet out of my jacket pocket and plucked one from the wrapper, inserting it into my mouth.

"Figured you'd be happy, huh."

I looked past the flame as I lit up, and into her eyes.

"You know, I'm used to the feeling. That whole polite disdain thing. Remember that ball we attended? One of us changed, and it wasn't me."

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 5th, 2009, 11:43:21 PM
Cirr shook his head and clapped a huge paw around Hank's shoulder.

"Beljieve me, jI'm dojing you a favorr. Those two, too much hjistorry."

He shook his head as they strolled back toward the Layla. He paused, his ears perking up.

"So...about these njice goodjies forr my shjip?"

Henry McDonnaught
Jun 5th, 2009, 11:46:15 PM
Henry deliberately sidestepped the supplies question, curious about s'Il and Prent.

"Expound on 'history'.."

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 5th, 2009, 11:51:55 PM
He didn't figure a bit of history with the little guy would hurt anything, it was generally harmless.

"She knew Sanjis beforre jI djid. jI thjink they fjirrst met when he trrjied to steal herr ljightsaberr."

Cirr cracked his knuckles as he loitered with the Rebel.

"They've been frrjiends everr sjince."

Henry McDonnaught
Jun 5th, 2009, 11:55:20 PM
Hanks eyes went as round as, well, donuts.

"She's a je--" he lowered his voice, "...a jedi?" He was incredulous.

McDonnaught took another look at s'Il and saw her in a whole new light. "Well, I'll be.." he said finding it impossible to pull his gaze from her.

"Friends," he queried, clearly fishing, "...or friends?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 6th, 2009, 09:29:24 AM
For a few minutes she said nothing, instead clasping her hands and bowing her head, eyes closed.

Eventually, she spoke, but it was in a quiet, low voice.

"I have changed, it is true; I'll not deny that. Some of the things that I said to you I should not have said. I am truly sorry for speaking to you as I did."

She still did not look up to him.

"I just... I miss my little girl," she whispered.

Sanis Prent
Jun 6th, 2009, 10:56:27 AM
I thought about what she said, exhaling slowly as I met her eyes.

"I miss her too. And I'll miss you just the same. I'm pretty sure if you ask him, Zem misses you too."

A bit of sadness crossed my face, pushing through my brazen cocky front. I realized then that it was an end of a sorts. That was tough to take.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 6th, 2009, 11:25:54 AM
"We all have different ways of coping with the things that happen to each of us," now she did look up to meet his gaze.

"I am not the best at dealing with such changes."

Reaching out, the Lupine took the stim from his hand, dropping it to the deck and snuffing it out with the toe of her boot. She smiled then, taking his hand in hers and squeezing it in warmth.

"But we move past these things, and are stronger for it. Whatever situation I find myself having to endure will never alter our friendship or how I see you. You have always been constant, and I am blessed for that. All I can ask is that you do not look unkindly upon me for my previous behavior."

Drawing close then, s'Il stood on her toes.

"You are my closest friend," she whispered, delivering a soft kiss to his cheek.

Sanis Prent
Jun 7th, 2009, 11:20:55 AM
"I don't have many friends. You're one of two." I conceded. Who else, really? It was her and Cirr, and she'd known me longer than the felinoid had. Those two aside, it was a big and lonely galaxy.

Resolute in whatever crazy scheme I'd set out on, I parted from her, looking back.

"May the Force be with you."

I gave a mock salute and an easy smile, still tinged in sadness. Would I ever see her again? Would we ever be the same?