PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting started....I hope. Please help!

Durandal
May 13th, 2009, 06:51:41 PM
So, I'm finally motivated to get Durandal off the ground and into the x-men universe. I've got a pretty good idea for a closed thread, full of background story to explain somethings, which will be fun, but, I'm a bit stumped on how what to do with him after that.

Durandal, by the way, is in my head as a fully traditional vampire in every sense in that, he believes that people are food, and should be treated the same way everyone else treats cows, pigs, and other "food sources". A type of mutant supremacist. With that in mind, I'm not sure what to do with him.

Have him stir up trouble in Romania? Maybe move him around to somewhere else, like England, Spain, or even the US somewhere? Make him solo, or get him involved with a few of the evolving groups of mutant supremacists, such as The Brotherhood, or possibly even Feral's little band, or start his own group?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can bounce off me, or advice / ideas you give. I'm really excited about starting to post and I just want to get a few more things straight before the fun starts. =D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 15th, 2009, 12:14:11 PM
Hey there :) I'm curious as to what Durandal's mutation is, if you see him as a vampire...?

Durandal
May 16th, 2009, 04:29:02 AM
Basically his mutation is two fold. To start, he's got the rare disease (I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head) that makes his body not be able to process food on it's own, and so needs to eat blood since that already has the energy from someone else's stomach in it.

His main mutation is that his body heals constantly, at a normal human rate, but it will heal ANYTHING, even if he "dies". It just takes a while. His other mutation is that, since he drinks blood, if it's the blood of a mutant, he gains the abilities of said mutant until the blood works it's way out of his system. So the stolen / borrowed abilities would last for a few hours.

Finally, for the final vampire touch, something happens to him in the past that, as a result, ends up giving him the disorder of sun-sensitivity, so his skin will burn (not catch on fire) very easily in direct sunlight, and get's pink easily in indirect sunlight. Of course, it'll heal, but it would still be painful.

Captain Untouchable
May 16th, 2009, 07:21:10 AM
For the sunlight thing, if you've not decided on the "something" in the past yet - there's a medical condition (I forget the name) that makes you super-sensitive to Ultra Violet. You have to remain within the house most of the time, put UV filters on the windows, aren't allowed outside without being covered up, etc. Its a rare medical condition, but I'm pretty sure its genetic, so it isn't something your body would "heal" with its ability. :)

Also, a thought on the blood thing. There are a lot of medical conditions that make your blood squiffy - sickle-cell affects the shape of blood cells so they can't carry oxygen as efficiently, for example - and one of the usual treatments is blood transfusions; effectively what your guy would be doing. However, in order for those transfusions to work, you need to have blood of the same blood type. Will Durandal need to do research to ensure that his prey is "compatable", or are you just gonna rely on his healing abilities to deal with it if his body rejects the blood he consumes?

Durandal
May 16th, 2009, 05:18:03 PM
Porphyria is the name of the disease. I think. Basically, the affected person can't digest normal food to replenish the heme ( part of the hemoglobin in the blood) and as a result, end up drinking fresh blood since the host's stomach works fine, and their blood will have the heme in it that the afflicted person can't create on their own.

And yea, I was thinking along those lines for the sun-sensitivity. Tho, I think I want to make it a side effect of one of his healing sessions instead of a hereditary thing.

Durandal
Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:16:56 PM
I finally got started with his back story, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. One big problem I'm facing tho, is I don't know WHERE I should place Durandal in the world, and I'm busy wracking my brain trying to figure out where would be best / have the most potential / have the most impact / have the least impact, etc.