PDA

View Full Version : Free KFC for America (from Oprah)

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2009, 09:34:15 AM
http://www.unthinkfc.com/

"Coupon available for printing from 9am CDT 5/5/09 to 9:59pm CDT 5/6/09. Coupon is redeemable at participating KFC® locations in the U.S. from 5/5/09 to 5/19/09, excluding 5/10/09."

Better claim yours quick :ohno

Mandy with an I
May 6th, 2009, 09:39:37 AM
lol. No free KFC on Mothers' Day so no-one can cheap out XD

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2009, 09:41:14 AM
:x Anyone who would give KFC as a Mothers Day gift deserves a kick in the pants.

Khendon Sevon
May 6th, 2009, 09:44:55 AM
Ew, why would anyone want to eat KFC, even if it's free?

Ew.

Ew.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2009, 09:46:39 AM
Dude.. you are so out of touch with the common man :mneh

Mandy with an I
May 6th, 2009, 09:47:10 AM
Fat people probably. Poor people. Cheap people who like to get free things.

Mu Satach
May 6th, 2009, 09:55:20 AM

Ew.

Ew.

The Oprah Acolytes must obey her commands.

Ryan Pode
May 6th, 2009, 09:59:23 AM
The grilled chicken is that unhealthy... and it's free. And I'm a poor college student with about 30 dollars to my name.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2009, 09:59:35 AM
If I have learned anything from the Internet (read: the posters on the SomethingAwful forums) it's that everyone in America is within spitting distance of a fast-food place, but has to walk barefoot for miles across hot-coals to find a food market. Apparently, fast-food is conviniently located, cheap and tasty. So I guess this coupon will be saving plenty of people the price of their lunch one day soon!

Ryan Pode
May 6th, 2009, 10:21:53 AM
If you live near civilization you live near some sort of fast-food place. As unhealthy as it is, you can live off the wendy's dollar menu for around 3 dollars a meal, which is insanely cheap.

Emelie Shadowstar
May 6th, 2009, 02:32:43 PM
Yeahhhh...think I'll pass on this one.

Though not sure if it's because it's KFC or...if because Oprah is telling to do it. lol

...though I will admit some horrid part of me just wants the biscuit. :ohno

Karl Valten
May 6th, 2009, 02:41:43 PM

Ew.

Ew.

Poor college student says OM NOM NOM.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 6th, 2009, 04:19:03 PM
If I have learned anything from the Internet (read: the posters on the SomethingAwful forums) it's that everyone in America is within spitting distance of a fast-food place, but has to walk barefoot for miles across hot-coals to find a food market. Apparently, fast-food is conviniently located, cheap and tasty. So I guess this coupon will be saving plenty of people the price of their lunch one day soon!

Ha! Can you imagine the sound of the thunderous goonrush if it'd been a coupon for a free Wendy's baconator?

Darth Turbogeek
May 6th, 2009, 04:58:40 PM
I wouldnt eat KFC even if it was free. I have actual respect for my body. Oprah, you are a fucking idiot - how about something healthy and free?

Frankly healthy tastes better.

Dasquian Belargic
May 6th, 2009, 05:22:48 PM
Ha! Can you imagine the sound of the thunderous goonrush if it'd been a coupon for a free Wendy's baconator?

The coupons thread about this was still pretty active. I haven't looked in GBS but I assume there is a thread there too, with plenty people printing off at least four vouchers to take advantage of Oprah's generosity :lol

...I don't think I want to know what a baconator is.

Ilias Nytrau
May 6th, 2009, 05:22:56 PM
Too salty. Blech. |I

Charley
May 6th, 2009, 08:39:06 PM
KFC is pretty shitty fried chicken. Then again, fried chicken is a lot harder to get right than people realize.

Of all of the chicken chains out there, Popeyes is the closest to being on-the-mark.

Shadow Storm
May 7th, 2009, 12:45:14 AM
If you live near civilization you live near some sort of fast-food place. As unhealthy as it is, you can live off the wendy's dollar menu for around 3 dollars a meal, which is insanely cheap.

1lb of Ground Round - 4$
1 Pack of Hamburger Buns - 1.50$
Total - 5.50$
Hamburgers Made -
1 for breakfast
2 for lunch
2 for supper

3$ for 3 meals - 9$

Difference - 3.50$ for those who know how to cook. :lol
<!-- / message -->

Ryan Pode
May 7th, 2009, 01:31:53 AM
Who eats hamburgers for breakfast? Then again, if you live off the dollar menu, you probably have bigger problems.

stevenvdb
May 7th, 2009, 02:40:08 AM
Restaurants that produce genuinely healthy eats (who take environmental and labor conditions as part and parcel of the package and aren't just a marketing ploy), probably don't earn enough to have the extra money to spend on such promotions, tend not to be large conglomerate chains and their clientele are most likely willing to spend the extra money to buy a little bit of low-effort conscience.

Personally, I like to go the local "open-aire" food stands and pick up produce from the growers/farmworkers. If you get your produce locally (in season) it is both relatively inexpensive and most tastey.

Veritas
May 7th, 2009, 08:23:27 AM
1lb of Ground Round - 4$
1 Pack of Hamburger Buns - 1.50$
Total - 5.50$
Hamburgers Made -
1 for breakfast
2 for lunch
2 for supper

3$ for 3 meals - 9$

Difference - 3.50$ for those who know how to cook. :lol
<!-- / message -->

Please don't make hamburgers from pre-packaged ground round or chuck :(

The fat content is all wrong in it. You will never get enough fat in a generic ground beef package. Get a butchers to grind a mix of sirloin, short rib, or ribeye together. You want 20% fat by weight to really be going on the mark.

Then again, please don't eat five hamburgers a day. One proper hamburger, maybe every other week :)

Restaurants that produce genuinely healthy eats (who take environmental and labor conditions as part and parcel of the package and aren't just a marketing ploy), probably don't earn enough to have the extra money to spend on such promotions, tend not to be large conglomerate chains and their clientele are most likely willing to spend the extra money to buy a little bit of low-effort conscience.

Personally, I like to go the local "open-aire" food stands and pick up produce from the growers/farmworkers. If you get your produce locally (in season) it is both relatively inexpensive and most tastey.

I know that in the deep South, a lot of rural "meat and three" diners are pretty conscientious about local & fresh foods. There was a place I used to eat at in college that would make simple rural southern food and it was comically cheap, at like a couple of dollars for enough food to fill the hungriest people. It was definitely a seasonal deal because you got only two plate choices and a limited amount of seasonal sides. Come to think of it, I really need to go back there again.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 7th, 2009, 03:36:09 PM
Hamburgers are delicious :) I generally don't care if the patties are ground round or chuck.HAMBURGERS :yum

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2009, 03:41:54 PM
I ate a shameful amount of burgers when I was at university. And not always good burgers either. The kind where you could buy about 16 for $1.50 :x I spent all my money on alcohol and.. other things :uhoh, and couldn't afford any decent food :cry Oh the shame. THE SHAME.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 7th, 2009, 04:22:24 PM
I'll take you to Hardee's while you're here :D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2009, 04:29:16 PM
I generally eat only chicken burgers, except for the occasional McDonalds cheeseburger craving. :uhoh

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 7th, 2009, 04:34:34 PM
What about Sonic?

I swear, when I get a Sonic craving there's nothing that will stop it until I get up and go get some. I firmly believe Sonic laces their food with crack to keep people coming back. It's just so good :(

Veritas
May 7th, 2009, 04:40:15 PM
Please don't eat fast food burgers. Regret is a piquant aftertaste :(

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2009, 04:46:06 PM
What is Hardee's? Should I be afraid?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 7th, 2009, 04:58:00 PM
Don't listen to Charley.

Hardee's is probably the best for fast food burgers. They're huge compared to McDonald's, Burger King's, or Wendy's little piddly offerings. They're not flat like most places, with thin buns, thinner patties, a little mustart and ketchup and onion bits. No way. Hardee's patties are thick, they uses giant tomato slices, lettuce, pickles, a few sliced onion rings, and lots of condiments.

The Original Thickburger (http://www.hardees.com/content/products/menu/OriginalThickburger_LunchDinner.jpg) is what I always get :D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2009, 05:21:15 PM
I like Carl's Jr the best. I believe they are owned by the same people who own Hardees. :) They use the same star logo anyway.

AAHHHH I can't wait to go to Chick-fil-A in Atlanta!

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2009, 05:21:40 PM
Ah haaaa.

It's funny, everyone's plans for me seem to revolve around food :lol

EDIT:

http://gawker.com/5242778/oprah-kfc-coupon-riot

^ :lol!

Shadow Storm
May 8th, 2009, 11:18:21 AM
The local grocery chain which I devoutly shop at - Publix, where shopping is a pleasure - does have Ground Sirloin, and a butcher who can make a custom order. I don't know of any local mom and pop butchering stores anywhere in the local area (15 mile radius type area).

But I always stir something into my burgers when preparing them. We used to use Everglades Mopping Sauce, but when Publix - where shopping is a pleasure - stopped carrying it, I switched over to using Heinz 57 sauce. Mmm mmm mm, good eating.

Charley
May 9th, 2009, 01:11:00 PM
Yeah I use Publix's butchers. They're pretty good and usually have really good looking cuts.

Shadow Storm
May 9th, 2009, 04:41:24 PM
Yeah I always feel sorry when I learn that someone I know online doesn't have access to a Publix - where shopping is a pleasure -. :(