PDA

View Full Version : Dragoncon Eats Thread

Charley
Apr 26th, 2009, 11:43:03 PM
Okay, so we're gonna be cloistered in a very restaurant-rich city, so I think it's appropriate that we talk about possibly having a few days where we go out and eat. I'm really wanting to take advantage of wide open spaces and find a pretty nice spot to eat at, and maybe a few mid-range joints. Who's with me?

So far, we've got:

Straits of Atlanta (http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/index.php?section=29) - this is a restaurant showcasing Singaporean food, which works very well since it's a great amalgamation of south-southeast asian curries and cuisines with some chinese influences as well. Pretty accessible for people who like asian in general. Dinner per person should work out to be around $50 give or take.
Cuerno (http://www.cuernorestaurant.com/) - Spanish cuisine, which includes a lot of Tapas, which are generally finger foods of a sort that are really popular for either light snacking or full meals. Dinners will be accessible around the $30 range I think.
The Porter Beer Bar (http://www.theporterbeerbar.com/) - Name says it all. Enormous beer selection, and you can also get actual food to boot. Great for those of us who want to pickle our livers but still get nutrition other than barley and hops. Meals should be in the $25 range, but you'll probably also want to account for a lot of drinking too.
Fat Matt's Rib Shack (http://www.fatmattsribshack.com) - Good ol' Southern style BBQ. None of that brisket shit (no offense Texans, that's just a different genre), just plain slow smoked pig & bird with hickory flavor. Plus its named after a fat guy so that probably means a very good thing. Looks like you could eat like a king for $20 or less.
Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles (http://www.gladysandron.net/) - Sooooul Foooood. Also, pretty affordable stuff.

Liam Jinn
Apr 27th, 2009, 12:11:10 AM
Pickled Pigs Feet?

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2009, 04:47:46 AM
Yeah! I would love to try out a few restaraunts, and eating outside in warm weather is a novelty I so rarely get to experience so if that's possible... yes please.

Does anyone know anywhere good in Atlanta?

Charley
Apr 27th, 2009, 05:33:02 AM
Depends on a lot of factors - price range, cuisine, etc. I'm trying to put out feelers and see if people would want to eat at any semi-nice places.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2009, 05:34:09 AM
I wouldn't many going somewhere more pricey on one night at least. Gotta have at least one decent meal.

Charley
Apr 27th, 2009, 06:02:12 AM
Okay, well lets see about what our threshold is.

JOEL is probably one of the nicer potential destinations, but I don't know if that's what we'd want. For one, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be semi-formal attire, and two, we're looking at probably $75-$100 per person at minimum.

I'll come back tonight and post up a few other ideas all across the spectrum. Keep in mind also that if you come to Birmingham, there's also a good spread of restaurants out there too.

Miranda Tarkin
Apr 27th, 2009, 08:51:45 AM
I'm good for a decent meal too ... even if it means i have to bring real clothes XD

Morgan Evanar
Apr 27th, 2009, 09:54:35 AM
$50 is usually my price range for this sort of thing.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:08:22 AM
I'd be willing to stretch up to about $60. Maybe more, depending what my budget is like by then, and also how much "normal" meals cost over there.. I'm anticipating that I won't need to buy especially large portions.

Karl Valten
Apr 27th, 2009, 01:11:52 PM
Tacomac....Tacomac by CNN Center. 80 beers on tap, 160 total. Cheap, greasy, american grill/bar.

The Royal Orchid is a very good Thai place as well. Don't remember how to get there though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2009, 03:26:25 PM
Um we'll be ok with a 'nice' meal running $50 per, but that's the max.

Mu Satach
Apr 27th, 2009, 04:01:08 PM
$75 - $100 is much too much for one meal - unless they guarantee direct transport to heaven and back along with the souvenir t-shirt and nick nacks.

One night with a $50ish dollar plate could be do-able and I'm sure I could find something semi formal to shove into my back pack.

And partaking of a few other establishments to get a flavor of the city is a must for me. LOVE food... far too much for my own good and will try almost anything.

Charley
Apr 27th, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
Okay, so approximately $50 per person sound good as a general rough threshold? I'll try and grab a few suggestions at that level and below :)

Charley
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:55:26 PM
Cuerno (http://www.cuernorestaurant.com/) is a Spanish restaurant that should be reasonably affordable. If you've ever had Spanish food, they do a lot of little dishes that you can order and pick & choose from, so it's great for groups of people to nibble around a wide variety of food. Not bad prices either.

Shadow Storm
Apr 28th, 2009, 01:50:07 AM
EDIT: Posted reply to wrong thread.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:40:38 AM
Cuerno (http://www.cuernorestaurant.com/) is a Spanish restaurant that should be reasonably affordable. If you've ever had Spanish food, they do a lot of little dishes that you can order and pick & choose from, so it's great for groups of people to nibble around a wide variety of food. Not bad prices either.

Mmmmm tapas, yes please.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:19:37 PM
I'm not too picky but groups of people nibbling on a wide variety of food sounds like a splitting the check nightmare that I'd rather not deal with. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:36:19 PM
You can buy your own food, sit in a corner and eat it by yourself, then :mneh

Tapas aren't expensive, in my experience. You buy a wide variety of dishes, then everyone gets to taste a little of each. I'm sure we all have enough decorum about us to avoid letting it turn into a free-for-all, grab-what-you-can where one greedy sod gets twice as much food as everyone else.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:37:41 PM
Well I will be eating for two. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:40:00 PM
You greedy sod :shakefist

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:48:51 PM
NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

Also I have no idea what tapas is. :uhoh

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2009, 02:53:05 PM
Let Wikipedia educate you!

Tapas (IPA: [ˈtapˌas]) is the name of a wide variety of appetizers in Spanish cuisine. They may be cold (such as mixed olives and cheese) or warm (such as puntillitas, which are battered, fried baby squid).

In North America and the United Kingdom, tapas have evolved into an entire cuisine. In these countries, patrons of tapas restaurants can order many different tapas and combine them to make a full meal.

The serving of tapas is designed to encourage conversation because people are not so focused upon eating an entire meal that is set before them. Also, in some countries it is customary for diners to stand and move about while eating tapas.

Droo
Apr 28th, 2009, 03:51:51 PM
The best dining experiences I've had have been at La Tasca. Tapa literally means "top" or "lid" in Spanish and tapas as a tradition came about when Spaniards used snacks, such as bread, to keep flies out of their drinks by capping their bottles with them, hence lid.

Peter McCoy
Apr 28th, 2009, 04:59:36 PM
The worst dining experience I've had has been at La Tasca. Tapa literally means "awful" or "horrendous" in Bollocks and tapas as a tradition came about when idiots used rubbish, such as crap, to keep people out of their restaurants by killing their customers with it, hence awful.

I don't get what's so good about that place. I think the mere fact that it's Spanish makes you all warm inside.

Roger Phillips
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:31:19 PM
This was not meant for this post!

Hobgoblin
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:32:41 PM
I think I just laughed so hard I sneezed. Stupid allergies.

$50 bucks sounds good.

I am pretty much down for whatever in terms of cuisine.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:54:15 PM
Peter! :o

I haven't been to the La Tasca in Newcastle, but down at the coast there is a little tapas bar called Barca that is so cheap and tasty. They do a great Sangria too, mm mm mmmm. Wine :love

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2009, 08:26:19 PM
We don't have to go eat spanish food, do we? I mean, I'm sure there's more than one restaurant in the whole city. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2009, 08:29:33 PM
I'm sure there is. Charley was just suggesting places within budget that we might like :) Personally I'm up for eating wherever, but a tapas bar would be a cool place to try because it's a pretty informal dining experience, so you can chat and eat, trying new stuff.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 28th, 2009, 08:37:26 PM
Well I, for one, will be planning a trip to Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta for one meal. But that's not exactly fine dining. ;) Gotta add to my shotglass collection.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 28th, 2009, 10:06:55 PM
I want to go to that place with all the beer that Josh was talking about :D

Peter McCoy
Apr 29th, 2009, 03:09:30 AM
I wish I was joining you guys. :(

I'll be there in spirit.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 29th, 2009, 05:06:13 AM
Don't worry, Peter. I'll have a pint or two for you.

Droo
Apr 29th, 2009, 09:06:11 AM
Don't worry, Peter. I'll have a pint or two for you.

Hahaha! A pint? Peter!? If you drink pints on his behalf, Jen, he just might grow a penis!

Secondly, about that load of tosh Peter said about La Tasca and tapas, seriously guys, pay no attention to him - his idea of fine cuisine is an over-cooked fillet steak, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, drowned in peppercorn sauce to hide the fact that it doesn't have any flavour. That, or chips and gravy. He has all the palate of an unfragrant vagrant!

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 29th, 2009, 09:16:51 AM
:lol An alcopop on Peters behalf it is, then!

Dasquian Belargic
May 3rd, 2009, 10:56:34 AM
On a somewhat related note... is there any UK candy people would like me to smuggle over in my suitcase?

Miranda Tarkin
May 3rd, 2009, 12:26:31 PM
any would be cool to try :D I likes trying new things

General Dan
May 3rd, 2009, 01:57:06 PM
Not really, but if you can bring bottles of apertif over I would gladly pay for some Campari and Kina Lillet Blanc if you're able.

Dasquian Belargic
May 3rd, 2009, 05:11:25 PM
All of the places in the OP sound great. I have never tried ribs before so I am intrigued by the prospect of some authentic Southern BBQ!

Charley
May 3rd, 2009, 05:29:08 PM
Haha, tomes could be written about American barbecue. It's almost like French food in a strange way, in that there is a really strong sense of regionality in the cooking, in terms of type of meat, preparation, sauce, even the wood used. The major schools of thought in the states are Carolina style, Deep South, Kansas City, and Texas. You also have the asian BBQ's of course which are quickly gaining in popularity.

Morgan Evanar
May 3rd, 2009, 06:50:02 PM
Haha, tomes could be written about American barbecue. It's almost like French food in a strange way, in that there is a really strong sense of regionality in the cooking, in terms of type of meat, preparation, sauce, even the wood used. The major schools of thought in the states are Carolina style, Deep South, Kansas City, and Texas. You also have the asian BBQ's of course which are quickly gaining in popularity.South Florida also has it's own style, but it's not as widely recognized as the other schools.

Charley
May 3rd, 2009, 06:53:20 PM
Oh thats right, the whole pig cuban style thing. Still haven't gotten to try it yet :(

Dasquian Belargic
May 4th, 2009, 05:04:26 AM
I think 'Texan BBQ' is the only style I have really seen over here, though it's probably nothing like actual Texan BBQ.

Mu Satach
May 4th, 2009, 11:19:23 AM
I'm hungry.

Dasquian Belargic
May 4th, 2009, 03:36:19 PM
Gladys Knight Chicken and Waffles sounds so absurd that it needs to be experienced to be believed :whaa

Morgan Evanar
May 4th, 2009, 03:43:57 PM
Oh thats right, the whole pig cuban style thing. Still haven't gotten to try it yet :(Well, not just that. We have an older barbeque restaurant that's different, they use more citrus in the sauce etc. But yeah the pig thing is delicious, if only for a little piece :\

Charley
May 4th, 2009, 07:34:02 PM
Gladys Knight Chicken and Waffles sounds so absurd that it needs to be experienced to be believed :whaa

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NX69Xt-hnRw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NX69Xt-hnRw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2009, 12:20:10 PM
http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117775030659234502392.0004695624ec4477614a7&t=h&z=13

Restaurant map. I added a few that I found at atlanta.net

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2009, 12:40:20 PM
That.. Sutra Lounge intrigues me. Only because I want to go to at least one club, some time. Drinks and dancing ftw.

I need someone else to feed shots to now :(

Xavier Synik
May 7th, 2009, 02:48:11 PM
*points at Em*

She's been known to partake in the occasional alcoholic beverage known as "the shot"... :p

Emelie Shadowstar
May 7th, 2009, 03:24:46 PM
...thought you weren't supposed to be encouraging others to get me drunk. :p

...aw hell, I'm game and everyone knows it ._.

Dasquian Belargic
May 7th, 2009, 03:35:19 PM
I think it was probably a given that we'd get drunken and rowdy, Em :mneh

Samantha Koortyn
May 15th, 2009, 01:39:54 PM
Please realize that while there are a lot of restaurants in Atlanta, you're not really going to go to any of them that aren't in walking distance of the hotel. It will be HOT and it might RAIN. Or both. And getting a car in and out of parking and trying to drive somewhere isn't wise. Atlanta traffic confuses me and I've lived here my whole life.

http://dragon-con.pbworks.com/Food-and-Restaurants

I recommend Pittypat's Porch if you want to try real Southern food while you're here. It's in walking distance although it is an uphill journey.

I do not recommend any hotel restaurants, they are totally expensive and not worth it.

And at night, the Hyatt will set up hamburger kiosks with chips and things. Do NOT eat the hamburgers as I am reasonably certain they are not made of cows.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 15th, 2009, 02:00:51 PM
:D Thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards Benihana for a 'nice' dinner. :D

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2009, 02:01:42 PM
Most of us are going to be in Altanta a couple of days either side of the Con, and there are very few of us staying in the host hotels, so I don't see why we couldn't venture beyond the usual 'local' restaraunts. Not like we are going to be at the Con itself 24/7 :)

Charley
May 15th, 2009, 08:50:31 PM
Yeah that would be a problem if we were at the host hotels I think. Besides, GPS is fun shit.

Samantha Koortyn
May 21st, 2009, 07:14:04 PM
But driving. It will be hard. Good luck to you and I call shotgun!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 21st, 2009, 07:35:06 PM
Driving is fun! Yelling at your copilot who thinks his GPS is the shit is even funner!

Mu Satach
May 21st, 2009, 07:42:55 PM
Agreed - had a hellovatime last spring in LA with my scatter brained prof looking for Fotokem. :D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 21st, 2009, 09:13:04 PM
As long as no one gets between me and whatever I happen to be craving :shakefist

:lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 21st, 2009, 09:18:46 PM
Chalrey wouldn't even get me hotdogs while I was in the midst of non-pregnant cravings. If he fails at that, he's gonna die during pregnant cravings.

In other words, if you're craving something, don't ask Charley. Ask me and I'll set you up like a queen :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 21st, 2009, 09:33:44 PM
The worst is when someone asks you what you want, and you tell them, and then they decide to go somewhere else. :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 21st, 2009, 09:38:25 PM
I told Charley I needed hotdaogs. I didn't get hotdogs :(

Dasquian Belargic
May 22nd, 2009, 04:25:50 AM
Oh god please tell me all my eating habits in Atlanta aren't going to be dictated by your raging ovaries :ohno

General Dan
May 22nd, 2009, 06:00:21 AM
I'll keep an emergency rasher of beef jerky and awful beer around just in case. We will not be sidetracked!

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 30th, 2009, 07:28:04 AM
So hey I was chatting with my mum about food and she suggested that I bring our sunday roast recipie over to the US with me. You up for making some Yorkshire puds, Charley? :D

Mandy with an I
Jul 30th, 2009, 09:55:22 AM
The only thing I want is Sonic...because it is a vacation must-have :D

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:00:24 AM
What's Sonic?

Mandy with an I
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:03:02 AM
It's a burger place ^_^; Like a drive-thru with people on ROLLER SKATES! And they give you mints!

It's one of those "Only In Alabama" things, like Taco Bell. I live like, 10 minutes from a Taco Bell and the only time I eat it is when I visit Christin and Charley >_>;

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:43:42 AM
I haven't had Sonic in aaages. A group Sonic trip sounds fantastic :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 30th, 2009, 12:21:27 PM
We have Sonic in Oregon. Finally. :love

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 30th, 2009, 05:15:35 PM
On the topic of regional food-places, we got a Red Robin about a year or so ago. Mmmmmm, I love you, Bonzai Burger!

Charley
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:33:01 PM
So hey I was chatting with my mum about food and she suggested that I bring our sunday roast recipie over to the US with me. You up for making some Yorkshire puds, Charley? :D

Yes please bring it along. I haven't made yorkshire puddings yet so this will be a fun foray into new things. Plus, I figure a good roast will leave me with plenty of leftovers to mince for bobotie, shepherd's pie, or any number of things.

As far as Sonic and Red Robin go, that's fine. We can go whenever. It's something different to be experienced, and I calculate that if you eat it only once it probably won't kill you.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 31st, 2009, 01:21:25 AM
Roast and leftovers don't occur at my house. At least, not at the same time. Roast is devoured until there is nothing left.

Which is a shame because making hash out of it the next day with potatoes and using all the leftover gravy is SOOOO GOOOOD.

Ok that's it, have to cook that roast tomorrow. :yum

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 31st, 2009, 01:57:57 AM
We don't often have leftovers either, except maybe vegetables. What little meat we have spare usually goes to the cat ^_^;

Han Antilles
Aug 14th, 2009, 01:05:46 PM
Just a quick bump! :)

Usually me and Sam go to a Mexican restaurant that is just a skip and a jump away from the con, named Mama Ninfa's. If anyone is interested in having a Mexican meal, we're open to it!

Charley
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:35:43 PM
Authentic mexican, or tex mex? Both are great, just trying to see what to expect.

Charley
Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:44:49 PM
Cuerno doesn't exist anymore it seems.

Any of you bustas against a spread of soooouuuul fooooood @ Gladys & Ron's Chicken & Waffles for thursday's dinner?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:56:00 PM
I'm down for that :lol

Han Antilles
Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:13:17 PM
Cuerno doesn't exist anymore it seems.

Any of you bustas against a spread of soooouuuul fooooood @ Gladys & Ron's Chicken & Waffles for thursday's dinner?

I don't mind, but it's kinda a long walk from the convention and hotels, unless transportation is being provided? o_O

I personally was thinking somewhere within walking distance, but that's just me.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:17:25 PM
There aren't many of us actually in the host hotels so distance from them isn't a huge deciding factor for me <_<

Han Antilles
Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:24:48 PM
Ah, I see!

BTW, we had SWEpics lanyards made for our 10 year anniversary. Look for us wearing them at Dragon*Con.

It will also be easier to spot us, I hope.

Charley
Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:34:02 PM
We're going to have three or so vehicles at least so I figured that would work. Plus, it's before the con, so I figured we might at least have one decent meal before we're scarfing HFCS and fake foods that they're sure to provide. Mountain Dew Martinis and Cheetos au Poivre aren't my cup of tea.

Wyl Staedtler
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:14:47 PM
M'don't wanna eat fake food. :( :cry