PDA

View Full Version : The Scribe's Apprentice: The Waltz of Treachery

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:11:10 PM
Two days following the disastrous confrontation with Zem which had cost her the life of her son, s'Il had sequestered herself in the privacy of hers and Dan's quarters. Any work that she'd been given was done from there, and any contact she had with the outside world was one of sullen and controlled grief. As a result, those who communicated with her were sure to keep their messages brief out of simple consideration. Her metabolism had allowed her a shorter stay in the medbay than normal, and once more her figure had returned, the fetus removed. There was no ceremony, as she'd refused such a thing. Instead, the unborn child had been set to rest in a small coffin and ejected into the vacuum of space.

She hadn't even watched as it was released.

Why didn't you protect him?

Dan's words still haunted her, and bit deep into her core. By some miracle she had brought Zem back, but the price of her fanatical obedience was far higher than she could have ever expected. In her mind, Zem had not only refused to return Teagan, but he had taken away her son, as well. Both of her children were now gone, and the Lupine sank deeper into a despair that swallowed her whole.

Only the thought that Zem was here now, in custody for 'attacking' the General's counsel, seemed to keep her afloat. It gave her hope still that he would tell them where Teagan had been taken.

The lights in hers and Dan's quarters were dim, and as the evening hour approached she found herself moving about stiffly. There was soreness still from her hurried operation, but she was on her feet once more at least. Into the bedroom, and then the fresher to stand in front of the mirror.

Her loose silk shirt was lifted to expose her midsection, and wistfully s'Il ran a palm over the healing stitches across her abdomen. She stared at herself, at what had once been a budding life, now nothing but a memory. She could still feel those desperate hands reaching out to her in the Force.

Why didn't you protect him?

Her eyes closed and she let her shirt fall. Had she only but known that his would be the outcome of that endeavor. She had tried; she had poured every last ounce of her strength into keeping the child alive, and in the end, even with Dan's power, it had not been enough.

Leaning on the countertop over the sink, the Lupine bowed her head, her hair falling forward to obscure her face, and ever so slowly she sank to her knees.

General Dan
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:18:33 PM
"Stand up."

Dan had opened the door to the quarters, stepping in from a taxing day in a string of several. He looked weary and grim, his hair pulled back into a taut knot as he unbuttoned his pips.

"I want to see your face."

He could feel the grief and despair roiling off of her, and above it all he knew that these feelings would bind her fast to his side.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:31:15 PM
Slow to rise, s'Il obeyed without a word. Her hair was brushed back without hurry, and with a deep breath she turned her eyes up to look at him. She would forever hear those words; forever feel the blame for their loss in his voice.

She stared at him.

What could she possibly say? What few words they'd spoken to each other had been minimal at best, and she grew fearful of each day that passed, of the punishment he would make her endure.

General Dan
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:37:19 PM
"We can't spend forever in grief. I hurt, and I know you do as well. We have to persevere."

Dan slipped out of his coat and tossed it onto the bed.

"I want you by my side, in good times and in bad. We'll endure this, and be better for it."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:56:30 PM
What was this?!

Far from what she'd expected, s'Il stared at him in confusion. Was she truly hearing him correctly?

The Lupine took a step out from the fresher and into the bedroom, wringing her hands. She still remembered Zem's words, that her master would use and discard her, but surely that was not true. He'd spent decades waiting for her, and even after this new tragedy he was showing mercy. Rather than the retribution she'd expected, her master spoke with words of comfort.

Stiffly, she fell to her hands and knees at his feet, head bowed.

"Forgive me, please, Master."

General Dan
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:59:31 PM
"You must promise to do what I say, and never falter from me."

He caressed her head as she knelt prostrate before him.

"Only this way can we punish the Jedi for what they have taken from us, and secure our family's place in the galaxy."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:11:07 PM
"Anything," she answered without hesitation.

If her loyalty was already unquestionable before, it was firmly resolute now. She had latched onto him like some lifeline, weaving herself in and around his presence to become a single entity.

She lifted her eyes at his touch, searching his grim features.

"What will you do with Zem?"

General Dan
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:15:02 PM
"Difficult to say."

He massaged a temple as he considered the possibilities.

"It will be difficult to simply kill him now, with him being held on an Alliance ship. It would raise too many questions."

He considered the options further.

"Torture would be more subtle, but unlikely to succeed against a Jedi. For whatever his failings, Zem Vymes has very deep convictions."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:30:35 AM
s'Il rocked back on her haunches to look up at his face. She watched for a short time as he eased whatever pain in his head, and slowly she rose to her feet. A hand went out to lightly grasp the fabric of his shirt, rubbing the material between two idle fingers.

"You are stronger than he is, and it is your right to confront him for what he's done to us. He will tell you where our daughter is when faced with your power... "

A sharp inhaled breath and the Lupine tightened her grip on his arm as her voice, still threatening to crack, became a low, angered growl.

"You are stronger, my Lord. Stronger than all of them."

General Dan
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:48:56 AM
"And what about you? As my apprentice, you should be every bit as strong as I am?"

He locked eyes with hers.

"Put right what has been done wrong to us. Interrogate him however you think best. Put right my faith in your prowess and you will be greatly rewarded."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:31:54 AM
For a split second she balked at his order, unsure of her own strength in the face of her previous defeat. Uncertainty was rapidly replaced by a growing determination then, knowing that it was her duty to obey. It was her duty to carry out his wishes and desires. Bound to him as she was, there was no other choice. His mercy in the aftermath of her failure to keep safe their children drew her ever closer, yet to hear him speak aloud that his own faith in her had been shaken was nearly devastating. Above all, his approval, trust, and companionship she craved hungrily. If he were to deprive her of such, she would be truly broken.

"I will do anything for you."

General Dan
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:34:40 AM
He nodded.

"I know you will. I don't place my trust in you lightly. Again and again you prove yourself worthy of it.

There is another matter at hand. The apprehension of Vymes was not entirely discrete. We may have to answer questions from the Jedi on this."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:02:37 PM
At that she moved away, stepping past him to take up his uniformed jacket from the bed. Smoothing the wrinkles, s'Il busied herself with drawing open the closet door and taking out an empty hanger. She looked back to Dan before placing the jacket amidst rows of other clothing.

"You were the one who drove the wedge between him and his faith further when this all began. The Purge had begun it, but you were the one to continue. And once he left, he fell away completely. He became a murderer, killing for money and the Bloodline knows what else."

The jacket was hung, and the closet door closed.

"And now? He has attacked a fellow Jedi; he has caused the loss of the child - " she clamped her mouth shut, jaw muscles working to control still tender wounds.

Moving to stand at the foot of their bed, she went on.

"... the loss of the child belonging to one of the Alliance's most stalwart and loyal Generals and his Jedi counsel. He has betrayed the trust that was given to him in looking after our daughter."

Her hands clenched into angry fists.

"I do not think he will be seen with favour among our peers."

General Dan
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:14:48 PM
Dan smiled.

"Then we are of one mind on this. See to it that whatever reputation he has amongst his peers lies in ruin. We don't need to kill Zem Vymes, just his name."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:59:58 PM
The Lupine blinked, and slowly lowered herself to sit on the bed. Her gaze drawn to Dan, she folded her hands in her lap. There was a dangerous light in her eye, and a tinge of yellow began to creep into her normally blue iris.

"The time will come when he will die."

Her body tensed, and in a moment of minor pain s'Il shifted a hand to her middle.

"And when that time comes, I want him to suffer at your hands."

General Dan
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:11:38 PM
"Of that, you can be certain."

He looked at Lok with a determined expression.

"Soon, the time will come when our plans against Vymes and the other Jedi can be carried forward in the open. He will die."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:41:10 PM

The next morning brought with it a sense of renewal for s'Il, and she went about her duties with determined vigor. Dan's forgiveness did well to set her reeling emotions upon their shared path once again, and his shared pain in their loss swept away Zem's damning words. Her master would not discard her, and he would not discard Teagan. The old Jedi would see how wrong he'd been.

By midday she had prepared herself for seeing Zem, determination in her eye.

It was not often that she found herself on the Dauntless' detention level, but given the crew's knowledge of her past relationship with their Jedi prisoner, it had been expected that she'd arrive at some point to speak with Vymes. Standing tall, the Lupine wore her off-white Jedi robes with pride, cutting a serene yet sorrowful figure. Whereas three days previous she'd been in the midst of carrying her child, now she was without, her nearly healed midriff flat once more.

The guard on duty gave her an understanding nod as he opened Zem's cell door, and for a moment she stood in the threshold. Half of the cell had been hurriedly fitted with a universal energy cage so that the Jedi would have no chance of escape. It provided enough room for him to utilize what comfort could be found in half a detention cell.

Resolute, s'Il stepped inside, and as the door closed behind her, she folded her hands into the wide sleeves of her robe. For a long moment s'Il stared at him, her features devoid of emotion.

"You've stolen both of my children from me."

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:54:48 PM
Zem sat on his cot, a patina of stubble darkening his face, as his captors were concerned that even the means of a shave would be a liberty too far. It was an ironic situation.

The words she spoke did not surprise him.

"I mourn your son's passing."

He met her eyes from where he sat.

"And I understand. It is convenient to blame me. You must do what you think is right."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:14:08 PM
"His death would not have happened if you had come with me."

Disregarding his last words, s'Il moved to stand closer to the energy field separating them. She paid no attention to his ragged appearance, her gaze instead locked with his.

"Where is Teagan."

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:16:46 PM
Zem's answer to her was silence. He looked past her.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:27:14 PM
The quiet between them could have been deafening, and s'Il bowed her head with a frown. His stubborn refusal was met with the sort of patient silence that hinted of terrible things to come. She drew from the Force, knowing that he himself was denied such a privilege. There was nothing for him, and if he'd tried the prison he sat within would react with painful consequences.

"You've no right to keep her from me," she whispered, "... or from her father."

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:32:22 PM
"I have a duty that is higher than your blood relation may be. A duty to defend the lives of the innocent, and to protect them against evil."

He looked at her garb.

"You still choose to wear a Jedi's robes then?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:39:05 PM
Nostrils flared and her hands contracted into white-knuckled fists, but the Lupine maintained her hold on the righteous indignation flooding her veins.

"There is nothing higher than the Bloodline. Nothing."

She lifted her head up in arrogant pride.

"Not good, evil... not even the Force."

A pause, and s'Il glared at him for a moment longer before allowing her features to soften.

"I wear what is expected of me."

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:43:36 PM
"Why have you come to see me? I have nothing to give you. Again, you must go to your master empty handed."

Zem laced his fingers together in his lap.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:52:54 PM
"If I do that, he will come for you, and he'll not be as kind as he was the last time. Before, he simply put fear into your soul. Now however he will be far less prone to such kindness."

She let her eye wander the contours of his cell.

"Back then you were able to run. In here, there will be nowhere for you to go."

She looked back to him.

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:54:45 PM
"I expect as much. I don't expect either of you to let me live."

Zem nodded.

"I'm aware my destiny is to suffer. I'm willing to pay that price."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:05:30 PM
"You are?"

She pulled a stool toward her and sat down, hands folded in her lap.

"Are you prepared to answer for your attack upon me? For effectively kidnapping my daughter and killing my son?"

Her head angled to the side as she stared at him.

"And what of your time away from the Jedi? I know that you've killed for money once; how many other times have you done such a thing? I do not doubt that some will call for clemency and forgiveness, but not every one of us is of the same mind.

"You'll divide our ranks and scatter us further."

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:08:51 PM
"If you must make a villain of me rather than see your own face in the mirror, that is a choice that is yours to make."

Zem reclined back, and lay down on his cot.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:16:31 PM
Refusing to be goaded into losing her temper, s'Il only let out a weary sigh. She leaned forward to rest elbows on knees, staring at her hands. She was quiet for several minutes, allowing his words to hang in the air above them both.

With a low voice, she finally spoke.

"How is your side?"

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:19:37 PM
"Healing."

Zem looked up at the ceiling.

"It is a strange thing, talking to you now. Your face, hair, the tone of your voice, even your smell are all familiar things."

He turned his head on the cot to look at her.

"Realizing that Loklorien s'Ilancy is dead has not been easy."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:53:08 PM
Her brows raised in mild surprise at that, and she felt a half-grin curl one corner of her lips as she gave a slight shake of her head.

"I'm not dead, dear friend."

She lifted a hand to wave dismissively at nothing in particular.

"I was scared at first, make no mistake. I thought as you do now, and when he gave me the choice of myself or Teagan, I sent her away with you, thinking I had done right. That I had saved my baby girl from some monster."

The Lupine still held his gaze, unwilling to look away.

"I thought that I was sacrificing myself for her safety, when all I had done was deprive her of her family. He does love her, no matter what you may say and think.

"It is not so bad, really. I've been given a broader horizon and future to look forward to."

Her eye wandered then, and she stared past him.

"I feared what I did not understand, but that is gone now. Sith and Jedi are names only; they mean nothing. Who we are within never changes despite the knowledge we may seek to gain."

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:51:36 PM
"I've known Lok for most of my life. I've lived with her, fought alongside her, loved her, and more."

He looked at her again.

"What you've said to me just now, she would never say. She was wise enough to know right from wrong. Whatever you have to say to justify yourself, do it in your new name. I know who speaks those words."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:03:47 PM
"You cling to this notion that I've died as if it makes seeing me now easier to deal with."

She shook her head.

"I was given a choice. What would you have had me do?"

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:08:29 PM
He sat up from the cot.

"And now...you still have a choice now. Your daughter is safe, Dan's secret is in your hands. You can make the choice. Keep your daughter safe forever and end the Sith's reign of terror over the galaxy."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:45:00 PM
s'Il watched him sit up, stared at his face. She could never forget seeing him for the first time in so many years, that inner shock at seeing him standing upon a gallows for the crime of murder. She could still hear him spit hateful words at those who'd set out to bring him to justice in their own twisted backworld's way.

Yet through her memories, she still found enough voice to answer him.

"You ask that I betray the one who has always been with me."

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:48:46 PM
"The one who was always with you is a fabrication. He's a lie, created precisely to groom you for the moment when you could be courted by the Dark Side.

If you had known then what he truly is, can you tell me that you would have made the same choices?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:00:18 PM
Still she refused the notion that Zem put to her, shaking her head.

"Immaterial. What's done is done. He is kind in his own way, and feels the pain of loss like any other person."

It was perfectly clear the loss she was speaking of.

Zem Vymes
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:04:56 PM
"I have no doubt that he feels the loss of an heir. He's been given a great opportunity to have force adept children and cement a Sith lineage for millennia to come.

Even Palpatine could not have been given a better opportunity through Darth Vader."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:55:58 PM
"He will have his heirs, and I will have a family."

The Lupine could barely contain herself at the thought of such a thing.

"I'll continue my Bloodline and my people will flourish once more."

Zem Vymes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:01:36 PM
"At the expense of millions, and the well-being of the galaxy?"

It was a rhetorical question by this point. Zem's hopes of reaching his friend were exhausted. Despite what she said, Lok s'Ilancy was no more. The person in the room with him had given herself to the dark side.

"Justify yourself however you please."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:20:58 PM
Pursing her lips, the Lupine leaned back on her stool while rolling her shoulders to alleviate the stiffness she'd begun to feel. She ignored his words.

"There are others, did you know? I found one from House Van-Derveld, and Dan brought me a young woman from House Kroenen."

She examined her nails, making sure that their undersides were dirt-free.

"I've even found a Loveloxx, strangely enough. A bit surly, but from what I've read of them it's to be expected. She is of a Lesser House; Arya Ravenwing."

Zem Vymes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:26:01 PM
Zem was cognizant enough to conceal his surprise at Arya's name.

"Sound's like quite a collection."

He again returned to lying on his cot, feigning disinterest at her sudden tangent.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:33:38 PM
"Indeed."

s'Il gave one last look to her nails, seemingly satisfied with their state of cleanliness.

"The time is coming for us to return to Schwartzweld, even if it is for a short visit, and I'll be contacting Ravenwing to transport us. She may be Loveloxx, but at this point I can't afford to exclude her simply due to her Bloodline."

Zem Vymes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:36:07 PM
"Having trouble finding transport? Did you and Prent have a falling out?"

Zem closed his eyes as he rested on the cot.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:39:53 PM
She shook her head.

"Nothing of the sort. I choose her because not only does she have her own ship, but she is a Lupine. It makes sense to hire her. As opposed as the two Bloodlines are, if we are all to survive it would be prudent to set aside differences."

Zem Vymes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:41:14 PM
He was starting to find her tangent borderline pedantic.

"Why are you telling me this?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:55:44 PM
s'Il watched him with a shrewd eye, knowing that he was growing tired of her company. It did nothing to deter her however, and she continued on.

"Because I have an offer to make you."

She leaned forward.

"I can Change a person; like my ancestors, I once again have the ability to give those I choose my gift; to bring them into the Bloodline as one of my own House."

A silence as she stared at his features.

"I can Change you, make you an Apex."

Zem Vymes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:59:35 PM
"So I can then become an instrument in your plans?"

Again he looked at her.

"What do you plan to accomplish?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:07:47 PM
The Lupine spread her arms.

"To bring us back! To cheat the fate of extinction and flourish once again!"

There was a near-mad glimmer in her eye.

"Think of it Zem! To be one of the first fathers of our new generation and pass down your knowledge to those who come after us."

Zem Vymes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:17:03 PM
He searched her features for any sign of a sane mind at work. She had become absorbed in the maniacal group consciousness of her near-extinct race.

"I have no regrets over who, or what I am."

He thought it over.

"Have you asked your master?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:40:12 PM
"He will allow me much, including this."

For a short while she was silent, her mind working through the very possibility of bringing her people back. Bringing them into the greatness that they had once had in the past.

"Become one with me. Travel to Schwartzweld with us and become one of our greatest sires. I know you, Zem; I know that you never had family beyond the Jedi. I want to give you more... I want to give you a part of me and the chance to leave your mark on generations to come."

Zem Vymes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:50:40 PM
It became clear to him that she was genuine in wanting him to be near to her, and that she still had some vestigial feeling for him, whether that was camaraderie or something else.

"You're right. I've never had family beyond the Jedi."

A slight look of pity crept across his features as he pondered the forces of conflict that must be pulling at Lok.

"And they remain my family. What you want me to be, I cannot become and remain what I am."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:22:13 PM
His resistance was pushed to the side, disregarded in her eagerness to impress upon him her desires.

"But you can. You can be both. Raise your children however you see fit, teach them how you taught me. Give our people the hope that they so desperately need."

Leaning forward, she spoke as though he was already a part of her. And indeed perhaps she felt as such.

"We are so few.

And without thinking she lapsed back into Bast'yr.

<"You are closer to me than my own master, even. I gave myself to you, freely and without exception. You know the histories, you know the Houses, you know everything about us. Even now, despite our years apart, I know you can understand me. You are one of us.">

Zem Vymes
Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:37:43 PM
"I know the histories well enough to know that the Lupines knew all too well of the dangers of megalomania and persecution."

He shook his head, and responded in her mother tongue as well.

"You may bring the Lupines back, it is true, but you'll betray their very legacy in offering up the Rebellion and the Jedi to slaughter. I won't be a party to it."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:11:32 PM
His continued denial was enough to make her close her eyes, shoulders sagging. Another moment of quiet contemplation, and she opened her eyes to stare at him.

<"You ran from your faith once, how is this any different?">

Zem Vymes
Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:42:34 PM
Zem reverted back to basic.

"A wise man once told me that to err once is a misstep. When you learn nothing and repeat the error, it becomes a mistake.

There is no reason to continue this madness based on a past wrong. If I've taught you anything, the power to change the galaxy is an individual's choice."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:11:55 PM
"Then you will not go with me to Schwartzweld."

It was a statement more than anything else, though one with the barest traces of sadness nevertheless. s'Il hid her disappointment beneath a mask of sudden indifference, unwilling to allow him the satisfaction of seeing such an emotion. The long hours with her master gave her enough control over herself to hide any sort of grief; to channel it and use it to fuel her anger.

"He will kill you, you know."

Zem Vymes
Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:57:36 PM
A moment passed, and Zem slowly nodded.

"Yes, I know."

He met her eyes, wondering if the thought of this elicited anything behind her cruel armor she erected.

"If that's my destiny, I won't shirk it."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:01:02 PM
Slowly, the Lupine rose to her feet and folded her hands into her robes once more.

"If only you had such a sense of duty to me all those years ago," she offered coldly.

Zem Vymes
Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:07:02 PM
He rose to his feet, approaching the boundary of the cage.

"I'm willing to give my life on the chance of your redemption. Do with that as you please."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 24th, 2009, 06:48:02 PM
"I've no need for redemption."

A step back, and she stood up straighter, her shoulders squaring as she held her chin high.

"I'll be making contact with the Loveloxx, Ravenwing, on the morrow. It is unfortunate that you refuse my generosity, but I suppose I should have expected as much from you."

Zem Vymes
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:22:36 PM
Zem returned to his cot, and nodded.

"I'm sorry to have wasted your time. It is as you say, you knew how this would end.

I cannot be something I am not."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:29:25 PM
She shook her head as if in resigned sadness and turned to leave.

"The inability to evolve and embrace the changing times were the doom of the Jedi before. Regrettable that you've not learned from their mistakes."

Zem Vymes
Apr 24th, 2009, 11:41:00 PM
"I learned from Tam's mistake. And Anakin Skywalker's."

He lay back down on the cot.

"Goodbye Lok. May the Force be with you."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2009, 12:10:34 AM
For today, there was nothing else for her to say to Zem. Tomorrow would perhaps yield more results, but it was simply a matter of discovering the crack in his newfound defenses. She'd not expected her task to be a simple one, and in a perverse way welcomed the challenge. And as much as he knew her mannerisms and her mind, she knew his as well. The only difficulty lie in the many years they'd spent apart and whatever experiences he'd had during that time.

She would be patient, and consult with Dan. She desired perspective, as he so often enjoyed saying; he would no doubt indulge her that much.

Of course, the Lupine found herself eager for their evening together, as she had more to offer than the diligent attention she afforded him. s'Il had a gift for her master, one that she'd begun constructing when first discovering that she carried the Sith's son, and finished the day before the horrid disaster that ripped her unborn child away.

With her head held high and her footsteps sure, s'Il proudly made her way back to the quarters she shared with her master.

General Dan
Apr 25th, 2009, 12:34:41 AM
The doors slid open to Dan's quarters, and the Sith glanced up from his desk to see his apprentice enter.

"How did the interrogation go?"

It was a procedural question. He already knew.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2009, 12:48:15 AM
She stood in the entryway for a few moments, taking her time in shedding the outer Jedi robe she wore before draping it over an arm. In some ways it was freeing to be without the burden of such a thing, though there was no denying the comfort it provided.

She gave her master a knowing look.

"It is a slow start, and I don't believe he will willingly tell me what I wish to know. But, there are ways around such things; it is a simple matter of finding the correct path.

"I offered to Change him."

Coming the rest of the way into the main living area, the Lupine bypassed his desk and disappeared into the bedroom. The robe she let fall over the comforter, and dropping to one knee, she pulled an ornate wooden box from beneath the bed. She smiled at it in her hands, running a hand over the delicately tooled lid before turning about to once more join her master.

"He refused."

General Dan
Apr 25th, 2009, 12:55:49 AM
"Of course he did. He's a true believer."

Dan nodded and smiled.

"He'd rather die than surrender himself to the dark side."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2009, 01:03:59 AM
Her body moved smoothly as she skirted his desk to situate herself beside him. There was still a lingering soreness in her motions, but she ignored those. Soon the Lupine would be as fluid as she had once been. She held the box in the crook of her arm.

"Any helpful input on your part would be most appreciated," she remarked almost jovially. Her tone was a far cry from what it had been with Zem however. Now there was adoration that could be heard, coupled with a strange mixture of respect and honor.

General Dan
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:16:29 AM
"Sacrificing himself to save Teagan is an easy choice for him. He seems to hold his own life in little regard."

Dan steepled his fingers together as he considered the possibilities.

"Perhaps there is a more ponderous dilemma that we could counfound him with."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:20:36 AM
For a few moments the Lupine stared at his hands, feeling as her own fingers gripped the box she held tighter. The thought of her daughter once more happily carousing about both mother and father made her catch her breath if only for a moment.

"When she is with us once more, there is a task that you must undertake."

General Dan
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:21:25 AM
He arched an eyebrow at her sudden request.

"What did you have in mind?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:30:05 AM
Reverently almost, the Lupine set the box before him on his desk.

"It is every father's right, and even if you're not of the Bloodline, the honor still belongs to you."

Carefully, she lifted the lid. Nestled inside upon a soft bed of white linen was a silver branding iron. s'Il had crafted it with care; not only due to the importance it held, but also due to the fact that it was made of the metal that would burn her if touched.

The familiar crescent moons were easily identifiable, but there was more than the simple and elegant design that s'Il herself wore between her own shoulderblades. She had merged her own House's crest with that of a winding serpent entwined with the original. It was a wholly new brand; a brand for a new dynasty belonging to Darth Decepis.

She let a moment of silence pass between them before finishing.

"You must brand her."

General Dan
Apr 25th, 2009, 11:11:53 AM
Dan examined the device carefully, turning it over in his hand. Gently, he placed it back into the box, and met her eyes.

"When we get our daughter back, I will do this. She will never be separated from us again."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2009, 05:25:16 PM
A sense of calm descended upon her as she watched him handle the small branding iron. That he was so accepting of her people's customs - no matter how barbaric they may be viewed by the rest of the galaxy - gave her heart.

A finger traced along the leather wrapped handhold along the iron's backside.

"I... "

Her hand shifted minutely, and her fingertips brushed along his own to trace along the contours of the veins running over the top of his hand. Ever since learning that she once more possessed the ability to Change a person, s'Il had entertained the thought now racing through her mind, but until now she'd not put forth the question.

The Lupine licked her lips, her voice lowering to a husky purr.

"... could Change you, you know... "

General Dan
Apr 26th, 2009, 01:31:48 PM
Dan smiled in appreciation of the offer.

"You know I'm touched that you would extend me the honor, but I think that it would be best if I remained human. You may rest assured though, your species will thrive and flourish. I will see to it."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2009, 01:52:56 PM
A flicker of disappointment passed through her eye, but she was quick to replace it with acceptance of his answer. His assurance did much to strengthen the nearly maniacal undercurrents of her desires to resurrect her people.

"If that is what you wish."

General Dan
Apr 26th, 2009, 02:00:16 PM
"I wish to see you empowered and strong. It's clear to me that the resurrection of the Lupines means as much to you as our own relationship. You should be allowed to prosper and thrive."

He allowed a smile.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2009, 02:22:55 PM
A nod as she mulled over his words, and s'Il slowly stepped away. His very mention of 'relationship' gave her pause. Was that truly what it was? Even if to him it was simply a convenient arrangement, to her yes. It was just that.

She left his side to make her way to the front of his desk, looking down at him as he sat. There was a curious glimmer in the stare she gave him; one that seemed to study every facet of the mask he wore, trying to discern his true face held beneath and pondering the possibilities of where he'd come from. By his own admission he was close to ageless; had seen her people in their societal prime.

For so long he had existed, overshadowed by Palpatine and Vader. She remembered Zem's own quandary so long ago, of where the Sith Lord stood, of how he existed seemingly alongside the already established 'Rule of Two'.

Slowly, the Lupine lowered herself into the chair in front of his desk, her eye still intent on discovering... something.

And finally, she spoke. The question she posed was far deeper than the words themselves, and it was a foregone conclusion that he'd understand their true meaning all too well.

"Who are you?"

General Dan
Apr 26th, 2009, 02:26:25 PM
He looked up, seemingly delighted at the introspection that had brought about such an interesting question.

"I have many names. Who do you wish me to be?"

That she was so cognizant of his very nature based upon deception and yet still fast at his side was a testament to his domination over her.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2009, 04:10:31 PM
"I would like you to be you."

Leaning back in her seat, the Lupine rested her hands in her lap. He would speak, and she would listen, much like the teachings he gave her many times before - and perhaps this too would be one such time.

"I know that Dan is simply a name without meaning, and the illusion of the man he is a vessel. I'm not so naive to continue believing that the one I loved for so long is actually real.

"But, I would still sacrifice anything to remain at your side, to keep your affections and companionship for my own."

There was a moment of hesitation as she chose her next words.

"It is my right as your apprentice."

General Dan
Apr 26th, 2009, 05:14:47 PM
"You say the name is without meaning, and I disagree. I think that the sum of our experiences and feelings together have defined the name. That is as much of who I am as anything now. Your perception creates reality."

He smiled.

"I created myself to fulfill a need of yours, and now, I exist of my own accord."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2009, 05:28:50 PM
While perplexed at this answer, s'Il still gave a nod. But she was far from satisfied.

"The Rule of Two was filled by Palpatine and Vader, and yet you remained alongside that. One master, and one apprentice... and you. You came before them, and said yourself that you've seen Darth Bane when he still lived."

Her thoughts raced to piece together what little she already knew of her master's history. It was frustrating.

"Before all of this; before me, the Rebellion, the Purge, everything - "

She abandoned her mental efforts to cast a yearning look to him.

"Help me understand all of you, please."

General Dan
Apr 26th, 2009, 10:21:56 PM
"The name you know me as, this is my name from the beginning."

He nodded.

"I was Dan. I am Dan. Perhaps two meanings, or one in the same. In the old times, I was a nobody of rare esteem, given access to vast knowledge by the graces of the Sith Lord."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2009, 07:35:51 PM
Ever so slightly she leaned forward, her eye fixed upon him, hungry for more. That he'd chosen to retain his true name in this era of his life gave her a sense of pride in a way. Yes, she was wrong in that it did indeed have meaning beyond what he'd said previously, but that he'd allowed her at least a disjointed amount of honesty in the matter as a whole was now appreciated fully.

She remained studiously quiet, knowing that he would continue.

General Dan
Apr 27th, 2009, 08:50:53 PM
"For years, I served under the Sith Lord Bane, swallowed up by his shadow. In the end, his lust for grandeur allowed me enough room to survive in that shadow. I slowly and meticulously collected the writings, cribbed in secret from the original manuscripts. If I was ever discovered, it would have meant my death beyond all doubt."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2009, 09:10:58 PM
The Lupine gave a slight start at the revelation that her master had studied under Darth Bane himself. Her gaze traveled to the side, to one of the many shelves lining the walls of their quarters. Shelves that contained the very manuscripts he claimed to have penned. She'd never once suspected that they'd been diligently copied by his own hand, of course she surmised that it was to be expected that his penmanship change to varying degrees over the long course of his life.

The knowledge that she had been studying them herself at his own order filled her with a sense of awe; that he too had dedicated himself to the preservation of past teachings and writings. It further gave credence to his claim that the two were more alike than she would have ever suspected.

"Your handwriting has changed," she mused idly.

General Dan
Apr 27th, 2009, 09:34:54 PM
"Spend a millennium writing and yours may well change also."

He smiled at her clever eye for detail.

"My script was frantic and terse then. With good reason. Every moment I expected to be found out, and to be destroyed under Darth Bane's fury. The only thing that kept my dedication focused was my absolute hunger to pluck fruit from the tree that the beast slumbered beneath."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2009, 09:42:40 PM
She gave him a humble smile, but it soon enough changed to an expression of puzzlement.

"You were Darth Bane's apprentice, then?"

General Dan
Apr 27th, 2009, 09:55:58 PM
Dan's smile broadened.

"No."

He laced his fingers together.

"Suffice to say that my own deception is a matter of interpretation. I stole the teachings under Darth Bane's nose. Whether that is tearing asunder the rule of two, or the true act of capturing power for one's own use, I sequestered the knowledge needed to master the dark side and forged my own path."

His smile tilted into a frown.

"Bane taught Plagueis. Plagueis taught Sidious. Sidious taught Vader. Their succession was plagued by hubris. I've bided my time for so long, secure in the knowledge that they failed because they did not understand the Dark Side of the force."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:15:51 PM
For long moments she stared at him, studying him in a wholly new light. More than before s'Il felt drawn to him, the one that had defied the ordered way of things to strike away and succeed where all others had fallen so short of their desired outcomes. His patience and cunning had given him the strength to outlast those considered to be masters of their time.

But above all of that, and perhaps the source of a large portion of her pride, was born of the fact that he had chosen her to stand at his side. His patient waiting for her to finally come into her own as his possession filled her with fresh wonderment.

"You said that I was your only choice; surely there were others before me who would have done anything to be at your side... to follow you without your having to go the long path you took with me?"

General Dan
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:23:14 PM
"A millennium is long enough for many lifetimes. Though there have been other adepts to come and go, only you have shown such potential for so long. I've watched you for many years, knowing that you alone had the strength to stand at my side when I emerged from the shadows."

Dan studied her reactions to his words, knowing that her rapacious pride was being fed.

"Only you have shown that you can rise beyond the station of apprentice. Soon, the folly of the Sith's long wandering through the desert of time will be at an end. We will forge an empire together, and I forsee that you will also, in time, be a master with gifted followers."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:35:26 PM
At that the Lupine gave the barest of knowing grins, her ears tikking back in unconscious reaction to his words.

"Gifted followers; our children, you mean."

She seemed to sit up straighter at her statement. In his own way, Dan had become to her like the greatest of her people's sires; the foundation and rock of every Greater House, and she, his mistress and chosen one would stand tall at his side.

General Dan
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:42:44 PM
"Our children will play with star systems like other children play with marbles."

Dan smiled.

"All I've done until this moment is to cheat death. By ruling the galaxy, one can truly live forever."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 27th, 2009, 10:58:59 PM
Now it was her turn to feed his own pride, though she did so unknowingly.

"You've done far more than that I should think."

She moved to stand, easing her way to where the rows of copied Sith tomes sat upon their shelves, the knowledge they held alluring and tantalizing. She ran a finger down the outer spine of one at random.

"You've kept the writings alive, and brought them with you through the ages; you risked your own life to be sure that they were not forgotten. You've kept constant vigil and maintained the true essences of the Sith where others who call themselves the same failed, and you have begun a lineage that begins with our daughter and will continue forever into the future. There is so much that you've done that is not simply cheating death, that you do yourself an injustice by saying such a thing."

General Dan
Apr 27th, 2009, 11:04:59 PM
It was the first mention that she'd given of offering Teagan up to the Dark Side. Dan smiled at this.

"Of course, we still have many challenges to face us. It would be foolish to abandon caution at this critical moment."

He thought about the next course of action.

"I think it is time for you to redouble your efforts and once again insinuate yourself with the remnant Jedi. Keep close to them. Vymes may or may not take his secrets to his death, but I doubt they exist in a vacuum.

When the die is cast, we must move quickly. The more the Jedi are on the run, the easier they will be to marginalize."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 30th, 2009, 09:08:50 PM
She gave a nod, knowing that there was no questioning his will or desires. Moving down the length of the book-lined shelf, the Lupine let a finger traverse the edging until coming to a relatively recent holophoto of Dan and Teagan, both smiling at the photographer. It amazed her, that such an innocent portrayal on Dan's part could hide such a malignant undercurrent. It didn't put her off; rather, it amazed her.

She smiled, knowing that she would do all that he asked, and that he would in turn protect her and his family. He would fulfill his promises and secure their place in the galaxy.

She thought fondly of the moment the holo-photo had been taken, and the thought of Teagan suddenly reminded her of something that had been nagging at her. She gave Dan a sideways look, curiosity in her eye. He'd never divulged the particulars of that particular conversation between father and daughter.

"You said that when you last talked to Teagan, she had mentioned a boy... a padawan?"

General Dan
May 1st, 2009, 10:12:32 PM
"Yes."

He nodded after a moment, having to think back to the conversation he'd had.

"Some youngling named Wyl if memory serves me."

His eyes met hers.

"Seems to be a puppy crush in passing."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 1st, 2009, 10:19:55 PM
She considered this.

"If he is a padawan, the possibility exists that we may take him as our own."

General Dan
May 1st, 2009, 10:23:06 PM
"Yes, good."

A smile grew on his face.

"If you can find this youngling and nurture his infatuation with Teagan, perhaps he can lead us to her, and we can find use for him."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 1st, 2009, 10:51:42 PM
She gave a last stare to the holo-photo before turning to make her way to the leather sofa that rested in the center of the main living area. A sigh, and she lowered her frame onto the cushions, relishing the comfort for a few minutes.

"Zem took Teagan to Cloud City at my request to be with the other Jedi," she began. There was a strange tone to her voice that seemed to make her soft lilting accent somewhat more pronounced.

"I would think it a strong possibility that she met the boy there."

She fell silent, remembering a certain man.

"The Jedi, Anbira. Perhaps he can provide more information?"

General Dan
May 1st, 2009, 11:29:54 PM
"I remember him."

Dan nodded.

"He seemed eager enough to work for me before. Seek him out as well. He may be a potential tool to be used. Search for him on Bespin. You may yet find others there that may prove useful to our task."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2009, 08:02:00 AM
She fussed with the belt she wore, choosing to remove it. Despite her healing incision, the damage to her insides was still tender. It was simply an uncomfortable piece of clothing at this point in time.

She leaned back against the cushions then, her eyes closing.

"No desire on your part to search for 'perspective' then?"

General Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 10:07:36 AM
"I think it would prove peculiar if I put too much renewed interest into Jedi business. If you are the harbinger, it will seem less likely that the Jedi are being groomed for use by a Rebel commander. They'd be more pliant to one of their own."

Dan reached for a decanter, pulling the stopper as he removed a pair of crystal tumblers.

"Don't you agree?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2009, 10:46:11 AM
Her eyes still closed, the Lupine let a small grin play across her lips at the sound of the glasses he held clinking together.

"Mmm."

Her good eye opened then to watch him.

"Then I'll take Saricia with me."

General Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 11:20:29 AM
He arched an eyebrow at this. Interesting.

"Yes, that would be prudent. It should give her ample time to interact with the Jedi and to know our enemy."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2009, 12:21:20 PM
She continued to lean back, turning her gaze from him to once more close her eye. She'd not felt so relaxed in a long while, and the prospect of beginning the search for her daughter caused a warm feeling to spread throughout her body. The loss of her son had been a great blow, but it was as Dan had said - they could only grieve for so long.

The future needed tending, and she would accept the small lull before they set off once more.

"It will not be hard to foster distrust, of that you can be certain."

An arm lifted, fingers beckoning him to join her in her relaxation.

General Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 12:25:57 PM
Pouring drinks, Dan rose from his desk and handed one to her. He knew that alcohol would provide her some respite, as it had been some time since she was able to have it.

"I have no doubt in your abilities. Find the Jedi you can use, and isolate them from the ones you cannot. Then, we can destroy them all."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2009, 04:31:30 PM
The day was far from over, but the Lupine was hardpressed to expend any more energy following her time with Zem. She accepted the glass he held out for her, taking a tentative first sip. It seemed as though it'd been so long since she'd last partaken of any alcohol, and for a few moments she let the sharp liquid sit in her mouth before swallowing.

It wasn't from home, but she found it mattered little; s'Il was not entirely discriminating against such drink no matter its' origin.

She was quiet, mulling over his words and knowing that his grand vision would stamp out all opposition. Slowly blinking, the Lupine took another sip.

"And while I am gone? What will you do?"

She reached out to fuss with the cuffs of his uniform tunic.

General Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 04:51:27 PM
"Begin our plans on the Alliance side."

He took a sip, eyeing her over the rim as he did so.

"Here too, we must begin solidifying our base. I will make sure to gather loyal officers to my side. Nothing attracts better than victory. I plan to start with a daring offensive against the Empire, and use the good credit gained from this to justify my agenda."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2009, 05:23:21 PM
"Always the hero of the Rebellion," she teased while tugging him down to sit beside her.

Partly because she desired his closeness, and partly because, well, his neckline needed to be straightened.

General Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 06:20:10 PM
He sat, allowing her to fret over his garment as he did so.

"A rebellion of a sort, even still. A rebellion from the ghosts of an empire ruled by small men of weak vision, and a rebellion from naive idealists fawning at the coattails of the Jedi. Rebellion against both, and in our name."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2009, 06:35:39 PM
"We should afford those 'naive idealists' some amount of respect."

Another sip as she continued to work a hand over the fabric of his tunic.

"If we cannot do that, we would be just as well underestimate them. They fight for what they believe to be right and true; an enemy such as that can be dangerous if not treated properly."

General Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 06:45:39 PM
"I agree. That is where Sideous and his apprentice failed. We won't underestimate our enemy as they did. Far from it, our many years among them has given us the keenest of understanding into how they think, work, and believe. Rest assured, we know our enemy quite well."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2009, 08:18:54 PM
Eventually she leaned back, satisfied with her actions. His words reminded her of his own knowledge of herself and her mind. It made her smile.

Her eye dancing, she looked at him over the rim of her glass as she took another drink.

"Ever the observer."

General Dan
May 2nd, 2009, 09:11:20 PM
"If there's anything I can offer you, it's the lesson that patience is one of the greatest virtues."

He took a gulp and smiled.

"Time is a formidable weapon. It has a way of wearing down all manner of immovable objects."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 3rd, 2009, 08:37:59 AM
"Patience," she murmured while staring into her drink. She watched the murky liquid for only a short time before finishing the rest with a quick tip of the glass.

A memory tugged at her, and the Lupine gave a peculiar face while settling herself more comfortably. She ran her fingers idly through the grey hair along one side of his head.

"If that is the case, I would think that I've been very patient since the last time I asked for your last name."

And it was the truth. The last she'd done so had been only a few short weeks following the battle that had claimed her eye. She'd been always curious since then, but had never pried.

"I've become ever so virtuous in my waiting."

General Dan
May 3rd, 2009, 09:51:52 AM
He nodded.

"Perhaps you've earned that."

He met her eyes as he set his drink down.

"My last name is Thrule."