Mar 27th, 2009, 03:45:56 PM
It's easy... Is it Pop... or Soda...

There can be only one...

Emelie Shadowstar
Mar 27th, 2009, 03:47:54 PM
...*baps Xavier*

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 27th, 2009, 03:54:25 PM
I used 'pop' when I was younger, but now I would normally say the brand name or soft drink. I would never use soda though, because soda is soda water - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_water :p So I guess I gotta vote pop!

Mu Satach
Mar 27th, 2009, 03:57:46 PM
There can be only one...

correct - "sodapop" :p ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 27th, 2009, 04:04:55 PM
Sodapop sounds like something out of the... 1950s :lol

Droo
Mar 27th, 2009, 04:10:45 PM
Neither, in that context those words simply aren't in my vocabulary, people were I live simply refer to it as a "fizzy drink" or more often use its brand name, ie. Fanta, Pepsi, etc.

Lykaios
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:15:41 PM
Soda, everyone who says pop is wrong.

There, now it's settled.

Though if you want to get too technical I believe the correct term is soft drink :p

Mandy with an I
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:21:37 PM
Dru - who the fuck drinks Fanta?! o_O It came out here and now we only sell the cream soda because it tanked so hard.

I say pop, but mostly I say diet coke.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:25:46 PM
Fanta is probably the most commonly sold 'orange soda' in the UK. The only other I can think of that sells moderately well here is Tango, but Fanta is easily more commonly sold - especially orange and icy lemon flavours. Fanta always seems to be about elsewhere in Europe too, whenever I've visited other countries on holiday (France, Italy, Spain, etc.)

Apparently the recipes used differ between the US and Europe. I guess our version tastes nicer than yours *shrug* Either that or we have better taste ;)

Charlotte Tur'enne
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:26:54 PM
I avoid Fanta purely because of their "mascots" and advertising.

I'm a bitch like that. lol

Peter McCoy
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:27:35 PM
Fanta's quite popular in the UK and I assume Europe since whenever I've been on holiday it's been served at every cafe we've stopped at for a cold drink.

In fact Fanta abroad is luuuurvly! Much nicer than in the UK.

Lykaios
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:32:52 PM
Yeah, Fanta is pretty big in other countries. Hell back home it's even more popular than Coke or Pepsi

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:58:30 PM
My favorite soda of all time is Squirt. It's positively DIVINE :yum

Granted, I don't drink soda anymore, but I'll allow myself a small amount of indulgence every few months.

Mandy with an I
Mar 27th, 2009, 07:04:03 PM
I've only had the red tangerine flavor, and that's only when I order pizza.

A lot of different kinds of pop comes out here and slowly disappears because it doesn't really sell. Especially flavored colas. Hell, Vault came out here about a year or two ago, and we don't sell it anymore :-/

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 27th, 2009, 07:08:46 PM
We hardly ever get any new brands.. in fact I can't remember the last time we did. Sometimes Coke or whoever will bring out a new flavour, like Coke Cherry or Coke Zero, but I think the same brands have been around and popular ever since I was little - i.e. Coke, Pepsi, Fanta, Sprite, 7up, Tango, Dr. Pepper... um, that's pretty much it, I think :huh

Acacius Blade
Mar 27th, 2009, 07:59:22 PM
I used to love Lilt - the totally tropical taste!. But I had a random can a few years ago and whatever the new concoction was, it was awful.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 27th, 2009, 08:01:08 PM
I forgot Lilt! I haven't seen that for a while... shame cause that was always very refreshing in the summer-time :cool

Peter McCoy
Mar 27th, 2009, 08:06:39 PM
I dunno what it was they changed to make it so crap. It just tasted a lot more powdery and appley, as opposed to wet, refreshing and pineappley like it used to be.

Charley
Mar 27th, 2009, 09:10:35 PM
Most people here say "coke" which is stupid. I haven't decided whether "coke" or "pop" is stupider for a generic drink name. "Coke" is more ignorant, but "pop" makes you sound like one of those people in the movie Fargo that wear fur hats and shit. Also Canadians say it. Double negative there.

Soda is my word of choice.

Peter McCoy
Mar 27th, 2009, 11:15:18 PM
"pop" makes you sound like one of those people in the movie Fargo that wear fur hats and shit.

I almost spat my drink out when I read this. :lol

Zai
Mar 28th, 2009, 07:06:15 AM
We call it soda in Cali.
What is the "pop" mess?

I avoid Fanta purely because of their "mascots" and advertising.

I'm a bitch like that. lol

When I use to drink Fanta, it was because the "mascots". :)

Droo
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:59:09 AM
Dru - who the fuck drinks Fanta?!

It would seem everyone else in the world outside your little continent. :mneh

Serasai Onashi
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:33:53 PM
Around home (SE Virginia) we say soda. However, due to my time among Canadians, I have picked up the term 'pop' from them, and just grew to use it interchangeably with 'soda', though I use 'pop' more often.

Razielle Alastor
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:19:30 PM
I am quite fond of Strawberry Fanta! :ohno

...and it's SODA.

It hasn't been pop since I was six years old in Massachusetts. I think it was beaten out of me when I moved to the south. :twak

Ilias Nytrau
Mar 28th, 2009, 10:19:30 PM
I dunno. I rarely use the words 'soda' or 'pop'. I'm usually very specific in what soda I want, so I use its name.

Shadow Storm
Mar 29th, 2009, 11:28:48 AM
Dru - who the fuck drinks Fanta?!

It would seem everyone else in the world outside your little continent. :mneh

Don't you want to Fanta Fanta, don't you want to Fanta Fanta....

I love Fanta Orange. :lol

Morgan Evanar
Mar 29th, 2009, 01:49:33 PM
Fanta replaced the MinuteMaid brand several years ago in the States and has been the most common fruit-flavored soda. I'm not much for soda but I do like "grape".

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 29th, 2009, 01:50:26 PM
A-ha! So it's just Canada who is living in ignorance of Fanta's superiority!

Droo
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:06:38 PM
Fanta Friends unite!

Charley
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:14:39 PM
Fanta replaced the MinuteMaid brand several years ago in the States and has been the most common fruit-flavored soda. I'm not much for soda but I do like "grape".

Fuck that. Grapico is the superior "grape". It's also got more street cred.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 29th, 2009, 05:26:16 PM
Fuck that. Grapico is the superior "grape". It's also got more street cred.I'm not sure that's available down here.

Charley
Mar 29th, 2009, 05:41:09 PM
I'm not sure that's available down here.

I just checked, and I think you're right. It must only extend through the Florida panhandle.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 30th, 2009, 02:30:14 AM
Soda is what I call a carbonated beverage. "I want a soda, get me a Coke." Mmm or a cherry coke. :yum

If I drank soda anymore. Which... I do occasionally. *shame* But not any caffeinated ones I promise.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 30th, 2009, 03:36:33 AM
Soda? Pop? Nah, it's called Battery acid. Mmmmm.

Mu Satach
Mar 30th, 2009, 10:09:41 AM
Sodapop sounds like something out of the... 1950s :lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEFvZ8HXNNk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vEFvZ8HXNNk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 30th, 2009, 10:11:07 AM
That's like one of those trippy animations you'd see on Sesame Street :lol

Shadow Storm
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:31:31 PM
I'm not sure that's available down here.

I just checked, and I think you're right. It must only extend through the Florida panhandle.

I certainly haven't seen it around here anywhere. :\

Colonel Karrnage
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:34:44 PM
Soda? Pop? Nah, it's called Battery acid. Mmmmm.

What kind of gear-head are you to confuse battery acid with battery acid cleaner?