PDA

View Full Version : Cultural stylings of Asga

Ariadne Fyrian
Mar 17th, 2009, 08:41:27 PM
About the only ones I'm most familiar with are Necia and the Mer. Necia being very rooted in Roman influences, and the Mer I have only a basic grasp of through what Holly has told me of them. Ankaa from what I've gathered on my own is modeled after cultures in the Middle East, but I've no clue about those from Dalriada and the Fian as far as architecture etc.

If anyone can help me get a better idea of how things look, I'd really appreciate it :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 31st, 2009, 06:50:23 PM
Fian - Rivendell/Lothlorien
Dalriadan - Camelot

...at its most simple ^_^;

The Fian settlements will have a lot of fancy, nature-inspired woodwork about them. Their natural magical affinity leans towards being able to shape wood so it makes sense that they'd favour this over using stone. Bai-Ulgan, on the other hand, I think I wrote was built by earth shamans, essentially sorcerers who could command stone. So their cities have essentially evolved as a consequence of their favoured magic affinities.

That's all I can think of right now. Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:29:44 PM
Thanks!

Nothing specific really, I just wanted a general feel for the architectural and cultural leanings of the Myth folks :)

Whatever happened to the guy who came up with the Syldar?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 6th, 2010, 11:45:15 AM
The Mer basically live in cliffside settlements - not at a cliffs edge, but literally built into the side. Its all wood and nets and ropes - I picture it like the place in the Time Machine movie with Guy Pearce where the 'good' humans lived.

The Trow live underground, obviously, and their city is pretty much described in the wiki, I think.

Of all locations, Verbannen is the most important to the Trow. For many, it is the only place they know. When Hugo Mergovas first set about founding his new kingdom, with only the help of a few loyal allies, he chose to form his capitol city underground. To the south of the Steelwood, and guarded by a perilous mountain range, the gates of Verbannen is not easy to reach. Truth be told, few seek to visit the underground city - but those who do are in for a surprise. With the help of Earth Shamans, Hugo was able to carve gigantic halls into the mountainsides and stone beneath. Unfortunately, Hugo died before his vision of the city could be completely realized - yet there are still hints to be seen here and there, in the architecture, of the grandeur that he so desired. So it would mirror Dalriada's design with the castle-like appearance, at least in its older areas.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 6th, 2010, 01:52:52 PM
^ Right.

I had a bit of the Mines of Moria in mind when I wrote that.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 6th, 2010, 05:39:17 PM
For the Northern giants, I'd always seen them as making these monolithic ice and snow fortresses in the craggy cliffs and mountains of the Cos Briste, or The Roof of the World, if you will. Their greatest cities are the highest up, and though their lowest settlements are thought of as 'lowlands' to them, they're still a good distance up the mountain sides.

In my head, the architecture is bold and strong. No real spire-type structures, but there are towers built here and there.