PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2009 News and NFL Draft

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2009, 03:42:54 PM
Since Free Agency started on Friday a lot has been going. Two big stories happened the last two days, first Albert Haynesworth signed a huge deal with the Redskins. I think they spent too much money on him and he will be a huge bust for him. The other big story the Chiefs traded for Matt Cassel from NE for a second round pick. It was a great move because KC got themselves a great QB and are now a playoff contender. I am a happy Chiefs fan.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 28th, 2009, 03:48:02 PM
I heard about Matt Cassel trade earlier this morning (afternoon.. right when I woke up) and I must say, KC has become a threat in the west once more.

Rutabaga
Feb 28th, 2009, 11:21:44 PM
I was a little surprised when I heard about Cassel being traded, since he did a better than decent job with the Patriots after Brady went down. But NE's possible loss is definitely KC's gain...I agree that there's a significant chance that KC will be a contender next season.

I also wasn't surprised to hear that the Lions traded Jon Kitna...I'm not totally up on the draft, so who will Detroit pick first? Will they pick a QB?

Xavier Synik
Mar 1st, 2009, 12:46:12 AM
not surprised that Cassels got traded... Surprised he and Vrabel went for a 2nd rounder though... that seems pretty cheap to me.

Ryan Pode
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:24:21 PM
I wonder if the Patriot's forgot Pioli works for the Chiefs now.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2009, 06:40:20 PM
there is also this reported today
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-0/Why-would-Pats-turn-down-12th-pick-for-Cassel-.html
I think Denver would be crazy to trade Cutler. Also about that three way I am not sure how much of that is true, unless belichick is mad at McDaniel and likes Pioli better. This is interesting for the AFC west rival since the Chiefs and Broncos hate each other and now it pisses off Cutler and he might want out of Denver.

Lykaios
Mar 1st, 2009, 07:52:24 PM
Yes a 2nd round draft pick for Cassell was a steal. I'm so mad the Vikes didn't go for him and instead they traded for Sage Rosenfels, let's see how many more games he loses in the last two minutes. It surprises me even more considering they're trying to lure Housh into town, what woulda been a better sales pitch than having the best D vs the rush and just traded for who could be a premier QB? But nooooo.

People around the Vikes camp said it's because Cassell is not as good as his corp of his receiver made him. Which is partially true, with a guy like Moss who can just bring the ball down and Welker who almost never drops a ball, his success could be a bit overblown. Not by much though, I think he's a great QB.

With the Haynesworth deal only $41 MIL is guaranteed money, so it's a good gamble, an expensive one sure, but it give them a very good return.

I think Cutler's days in Den are numbered, he doesn't eve want to talk to the Broncos. Not sure why ownership would be interested in bringing in Cassell when they appear to be set at QB but they just upset their franchise QB, a bonehead move considering they just bolstered their secondary by bringing Brian Dawkins.

Xavier Synik
Mar 1st, 2009, 08:50:20 PM
I could totally see a team only wanting to give up a second rounder for Cassells given that as of right now he's a one year wonder who succeeded in the NE system with NE's recievers.

But if there was a First rounder on the table...? Man if I was the NFL I'd be looking into it. I'm not accusing NE of anything, but last time I checked the goal of a trade is usually to make your team better, and while Vrable is kind of a throw in, how is a second rounder better then a first rounder which you can turn into multiple 2nd or 3rd rounders?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:19:24 PM
Well the question is how true is that story? It is possible that NE demanded that from Tampa and they turned it down. The Chiefs offer could be it. As for Vrabel it is possible he doesn't have much left and they are throwing him on the Chiefs so they don't have to cut him.

Rutabaga
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:11:01 AM
Just as an aside, there are 2 NFL players missing after going out on a fishing trip on Saturday:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/01/florida.missing.boaters/index.html

Hopefully this story won't have a tragic ending, although it's not looking all that good.

jjwr
Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:38:52 AM
Well just because one team offers something for a player doesn't mean the team has to take it. There were a number of factors involved in the Pats trading Cassell. With him taking the Franchise tender the Pats had no cap space so they couldn't have made any moves. Belechick was compelled to trade him as soon as possible and the Chiefs came calling and a deal was struck.

The offers from the Bronco's/Bucs didn't come in until after the Pats already made a deal with the Chiefs so while they were better on paper Belichick wasn't going to turn down the deal he knew he had for one which might happen and being 3/4 team deals they could have easil fallen apart.

So the Pats get a 2nd round pick which is for all intents a purposes in this deep draft class a very low 1st round pick and free up 19M in cap space. They now have their 1st rounded and 3 second round picks. He probably could have held out and gotten a little bit more but it was a risk and he didn't want to take that risk.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:08:52 PM
Well just because one team offers something for a player doesn't mean the team has to take it. There were a number of factors involved in the Pats trading Cassell. With him taking the Franchise tender the Pats had no cap space so they couldn't have made any moves. Belechick was compelled to trade him as soon as possible and the Chiefs came calling and a deal was struck.

The offers from the Bronco's/Bucs didn't come in until after the Pats already made a deal with the Chiefs so while they were better on paper Belichick wasn't going to turn down the deal he knew he had for one which might happen and being 3/4 team deals they could have easil fallen apart.

So the Pats get a 2nd round pick which is for all intents a purposes in this deep draft class a very low 1st round pick and free up 19M in cap space. They now have their 1st rounded and 3 second round picks. He probably could have held out and gotten a little bit more but it was a risk and he didn't want to take that risk.

I agree it was a horrible deal, and if that other deal came after they had made the deal with the chiefs it would have been bad of him to renege on it. I think it works out best for both teams.

Lykaios
Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:08:52 PM
Well Housh ends up in Seattle :( Sad that he ended neither with the Vikes nor with the Bengals

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:25:44 AM
Tennessee signed Nate Washington from Pittsburgh. That was a great move gives them a deep threat they have been missing for years.

Ryan Pode
Mar 4th, 2009, 05:43:41 PM
Hooray. Ray Lewis stays a Raven. Matt Birk becomes a Raven. Awesome news for me today!

Lykaios
Mar 4th, 2009, 06:18:08 PM
I gotta stop reading about the players I want on my team.

Sunday I'm reading a few articles on TJ and...bam! He ends up in SEA.

Today I'm reading an article on ESPN the mag and he goes to the Ravens -_-

Ryan Pode
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:39:06 PM
It's not your fault. Raven's have a QB.

Yog
Mar 5th, 2009, 06:44:44 AM
Matt Cassel was a great trade for the Chiefs, but unfortunately, I am not as convinced they will suddenly turn great again. Didn't they still have tons of problems with the offensive line this season? Oh, and Broncos would be crazy to trade Cutler.

The big news today is Terrell Owens. TO is cut from Dallas Cowboys. I wonder what team wants him. Dolphins, Giants and Vikings are possible suspects.

Raven's have a QB.
They do? In what decade? ;)

Rutabaga
Mar 5th, 2009, 07:44:28 AM
I love the news about TO, it got my morning off to a great start :lol.

I still think it's inevitable for him to end up with the Raiders, that seems like the perfect team for him. :evil

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2009, 09:00:36 AM
Matt Cassel was a great trade for the Chiefs, but unfortunately, I am not as convinced they will suddenly turn great again. Didn't they still have tons of problems with the offensive line this season? Oh, and Broncos would be crazy to trade Cutler.

The big news today is Terrell Owens. TO is cut from Dallas Cowboys. I wonder what team wants him. Dolphins, Giants and Vikings are possible suspects.

Raven's have a QB.
They do? In what decade? ;)

Well the Chiefs problems are more on defense. I think they can turn things around some what like winning 6-9 games next year. They could win that crazy division. About TO I had to laugh when I heard the news. Nobody wants him but maybe Oakland. Al Davis is senile enough to sign him.

Xavier Synik
Mar 5th, 2009, 10:38:14 AM
The way Davis cleaned out all of the guys he signed last year it wouldn't surprise me...

What a battle that would be. Who's the bigger attention hog there... I don't know how he'd play there, but I can see the press conferences after the release TO already.

jjwr
Mar 5th, 2009, 12:47:50 PM
I'm wondering if TO will go for the circus choice(Raiders) or try and get on a team he can do something with to prove people wrong. He's made a ton of money and unless he's stupid he'll sign with a good team for less money to prove a point but that could be giving him way too much credit.

Figrin D'an
Mar 5th, 2009, 12:54:27 PM
I think T.O. is going to have a hard time finding a home for this coming season unless he's willing to take a big paycut. He's aging, this is now the third team that has dumped him because of character issues, and his salary is bloated.

I at least have a modicum of respect for the Cowboys now in making this decision. I think they just made it too late, and missed out on some of the other WR free agents out there.

Liam Jinn
Mar 7th, 2009, 05:48:32 PM
Buffalo takes Owens for a year. Weird, I didn't even consider the Bills when it came to this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txbillsowens&prov=st&type=lgns

Xavier Synik
Mar 7th, 2009, 06:17:15 PM
And the expect to get him the ball how?

For someone who complains when he doesn't get the ball enough he sure didn't pick a team with a great QB. Mind you any team that has a QB that is any good probably wouldn't touch the guy.

Just glad my 9ers decided that it was a bad idea. Though watching him and Singletary go at it would have been kinda fun.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2009, 07:57:58 PM
I am shocked he go to the bills, also shocked they are crazy enough to take him.

Lykaios
Mar 7th, 2009, 08:12:47 PM
I don't even know what to make out of the whole thing o_O

Rutabaga
Mar 8th, 2009, 06:29:42 AM
I am shocked he go to the bills, also shocked they are crazy enough to take him.

I just about puked when I saw the news, since the Bills are one of my favorite teams. What are they thinking? Ugh. It's going to make it a little rough to root for them this year. Plus, unless TO changes his ways, he's going to spend the whole year pissing and moaning, since the Bills aren't exactly a winning team.

At least it's just a one-year contract.

:cry

Nathanial K'cansce
Mar 8th, 2009, 04:08:23 PM
I don't even know what to make out of the whole thing o_O

I am still trying to cope with this news. =/ Early April Fools? I Hope.

Xavier Synik
Mar 8th, 2009, 05:09:46 PM
I think Ralph Wilson is seriously gone loco.

Maybe the Toronto group trying to sell tickets thinks this will help get more seats sold this year... I see the ads now...T.O. in T.O.

Lykaios
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:20:57 PM
Latest report has Julius Peppers going to NE for the draft picks the Pats acquired in the Cassell deal

Park Kraken
Mar 17th, 2009, 12:17:43 AM
Just as an aside, there are 2 NFL players missing after going out on a fishing trip on Saturday:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/01/florida.missing.boaters/index.html

Hopefully this story won't have a tragic ending, although it's not looking all that good.

The only person of four people on the boat recovered spoke about the incident, saying that the boat capsized after the anchor snagged on some rocks or coral. From what he remembers one guy started yelling, took off his lift vest, and dove into the water. A second man started throwing punches before also removing his life vest and diving into the water. The third man thought he saw land and took off swimming.

Yog
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
Remember when I said:

Oh, and Broncos would be crazy to trade Cutler.

Let bidding for Cutler begin (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12042703)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2009, 07:09:53 AM
Yeah they are still crazy, although as a Chiefs fan I am happy. The Chiefs may be better than the Broncos this year. Watch him go to the Lions although that actually will help that team.

jjwr
Apr 1st, 2009, 08:09:01 AM
Cutler is an idiot, teams are going to be clamoring for him but its pretty obvious he's not 100% mentally there. What happens if he does end up on a bad team and loses 12 games? Or has a coach who gets on his case, will he bail on them too?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2009, 09:20:27 AM
I blame the Broncos, they botched this thing from the beginning. First when you try to trade your star QB for someone else's QB it makes you look like you don't want him. Then the arrogance that Josh McDaniels has shown is shocking. I think he will be the next ex Patriot coach to fail. It shows me that Belichick is the genius behind that team and his coaches are nothing special.

Xavier Synik
Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:15:40 PM
Cutler to the Bears for Orton and a 1st.

Yog
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:17:09 PM
John Madden retires.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/16/madden.retires/

I have not been following football for that many years, but I will miss the old man.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:26:32 PM
John Madden retires.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/16/madden.retires/

I have not been following football for that many years, but I will miss the old man.

Yes although I could tell he had a lost a step recently especially when he missed that game. He was still a great character and probably best color announcer ever.

Rutabaga
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:37:05 PM
I really liked the pairing of Madden with Al Michaels. It just isn't going to be quite the same now.

Lykaios
Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:07:14 PM
TE Tony Gonzalez traded to the Falcons. KC gets a 2nd round draft pick. Looks like Matt Ryan's completion pct just went up. Tony still has great hands.

Yog
Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:34:03 PM
Falcon fans have it good today. When you pair the star receiving abilities of Gonzales and Roddy White with the talent of Matt Ryan, you suddenly have a ferocious passing attack, along with the already strong rushing offense of Michael Turner / Norwood. Matt Ryan could be a top 5 QB next year. I am thinking like 4,000+ yards with touchdowns well into the 20's.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:44:15 PM
Falcon fans have it good today. When you pair the star receiving abilities of Gonzales and Roddy White with the talent of Matt Ryan, you suddenly have a ferocious passing attack, along with the already strong rushing offense of Michael Turner / Norwood. Matt Ryan could be a top 5 QB next year. I am thinking like 4,000+ yards with touchdowns well into the 20's.

Well I am upset but it the Chiefs aren't going anywhere for a few years and by the Gonzalez will probably be retired. I disagree about Atlanta. They had a very easy schedule last year and that is why they made the playoffs. Their schedule this year is one of the hardest and I bet they will be lucky to go 8-8.

Xavier Synik
Apr 24th, 2009, 04:28:37 PM
So... Less then 24 hours away from the draft... who's going number 1?

Will it be the QB Stafford or the OT Smith?

I've seen mock drafts with both of these guys as the top choice. And while I think the right move would be to take the tackle to help start to build a line that will protect your QB of the future when you get him, I think they'll take Stafford.

I think the Lions will take him with the reasoning that it is a hard sell to your fans on picking an Offensive Lineman with the first overall selection, especially when you have nothing in the way of skill players on your roster.

Actually I think the best option would be to trade the top pick, but I don't really know if there are any teams out there desperate enough to try and move up.

Ryan Pode
Apr 25th, 2009, 08:57:58 AM
And the answer is Stafford. With way, way WAY too much guaranteed money. NFL needs a rookie pay-scale ASAP. It's out of hand.

Xavier Synik
Apr 25th, 2009, 10:16:18 AM
I totally agree. Though I think if they put in a rookie cap then they'll have to make the entire contract guaranteed. Which I think would be the best thing they could do.

I mean teams would be more willing to try and develop rookies if they couldn't just release them having only paid a small amount in signing money (averaging it out over all rookies vs just the the first rounders). Make the contracts like 4 year terms on a set pay scale, and then after that they can go out and sign the huge unguaranteed contracts that the NFL love so much.

Lykaios
Apr 25th, 2009, 10:44:48 AM
Out of hand is putting it mildly. I think the old baseball adage reflects it best 'Prospects are suspect' and to give those outrageous amounts of money to an unproven rookie is just ludicrous.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2009, 01:40:43 PM
I think Stafford is overrated. Now there is talk three teams are trying to trade up to get Sanchez.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:08:02 PM
Anybody watching the draft. A few surprises, first the Jets trading up to get Sanchez. The chiefs passed on Curry and went with Jackson. I think they wanted the player who fits their system. Still, the biggest shock is the Raiders who took the 4th best WR who may not have been drafted in the first round over Crabtree. WTH?? I guess Davis wants to stay in the cellar.

Yog
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:11:59 PM
The draft so far...

1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford (QB) Georgia
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith (OT) Baylor
3. Kansas City - Tyson Jackson (DE) LSU
4. Seattle - Aaron Curry (OLB) W Forest
5. NY Jets - Mark Sanchez (QB) USC
6. Cincinnati - Andre Smith (OT) Alabama
7. Oakland - Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR) Maryland
8. Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe (OT) Virginia

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:13:50 PM
The draft so far...

1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford (QB) Georgia
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith (OT) Baylor
3. Kansas City - Tyson Jackson (DE) LSU
4. Seattle - Aaron Curry (OLB) W Forest
5. NY Jets - Mark Sanchez (QB) USC
6. Cincinnati - Andre Smith (OT) Alabama
7. Oakland - Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR) Maryland
8. Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe (OT) Virginia

What do you think of that Raider pick :lol I am okay with the Chiefs pick, I would rather had them trade now they more players. I feel bad for Crabtree. Maybe the Niners will take him.

Yog
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:31:32 PM
What do you think of that Raider pick :lol I am okay with the Chiefs pick, I would rather had them trade now they more players. I feel bad for Crabtree. Maybe the Niners will take him.

The Raider pick had me go :whaa. Unbelievable.

Edit: continuation.. you were right about Crabtree!

9. Green Bay - B.J. Raji (DT) BC
10. San Francisco - Michael Crabtree (WR) Texas Tech
11. Buffalo - Aaron Maybin (DE) Penn State
12. Denver - Knowshon Moreno (RB) Georgia
13. Washington - Brian Orakpo (DE) Texas

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:46:38 PM
The Bronco pic is stupid. Their defense is horrible and they pick a RB.

Yog
Apr 25th, 2009, 04:05:42 PM
Terrible pick by Broncos. Why another RB? And Browns keep on trading.

14. New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins (CB) Ohio St
15. Houston - Brian Cushing (OLB) USC
16. San Diego - Larry English (DE) N Illinois
17. Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman (QB) Kansas St

Yog
Apr 25th, 2009, 04:48:44 PM
18. Denver - Robert Ayers (DE) Tennessee
19. Philadelphia - Jeremy Maclin (WR) Missouri
20. Detroit - Brandon Pettigrew (TE) Oklahoma St
21. Cleveland - Alex Mack (C) California
22. Minnesota - Percy Harvin (WR) Florida
23. Baltimore - Michael Oher (OT) Ole Miss
24. Atlanta - Peria Jerry (DT) Ole Miss
25. Miami - Vontae Davis (CB) Illinois

Pats is trading down again.

Lykaios
Apr 25th, 2009, 08:56:54 PM
Oh, FFS! *shakes fist*

Why are my Bengals dead set on trying to redeem players with character issues?

Yog
Apr 26th, 2009, 08:32:26 AM
I think Pats have the best draft so far. They are focusing on value players. They get eight of the top 97 players.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1168141

jjwr
Apr 27th, 2009, 03:42:51 PM
Belichick is like a mad scientist on draft day, its pretty funny to watch. He's not afraid to do whatever it takes. If there isn't value there he'll dump the pick, a lot of teams don't have the guts to do that.

No outside rusher though so he either thinks he can get Jason Taylor or thinks one of the young guys they have from last year can fill the void(Shawn Crable, OLB 3rd pick last year)>

Liam Jinn
May 2nd, 2009, 03:19:20 PM
Cowboys practice was interrupted today when the building collapsed on them during a storm. Wasn't the full team, about 27 rookies, entire coaching staff and scouts, fans, and some media were there.

That's about all they're saying so far during this Breaking News thingy.

Rutabaga
May 2nd, 2009, 08:05:11 PM
Has anybody here heard anything about the rumors about Brett Favre possibly unretiring again and coming back to play with the Vikings? Shit, I hope it's not true. Unretiring once was a little wonky, but if he unretires again, that's just pretty pathetic.

Xavier Synik
May 2nd, 2009, 08:17:41 PM
I haven't heard that, but did he actually retire officially this time, or did his contract just end with the Jets and he give the "I'm going to take some time to think about it" answer, but not officially put in the paperwork.

I think I've just missed it if he did retire.

Lykaios
May 2nd, 2009, 08:34:49 PM
I dunno if his agent filled the retirement papers or not, at this time it doesn't matter, cause the Jets actually released him, so he's under no contractual obligation and like this (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/44200112.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr)article says, he's free to shop himself.

And even though I dislike Patrick Reuse, I think he has some good points in his latest article (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/44029922.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKUnciaec 8O7EyUr).

Particularly this little bit:

General Manager Mike Tannenbaum released a statement that included this quote from Favre: "Nothing has changed. At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football." Those three little words -- "at this time" -- make it official: Favre plans to play again.

Xavier Synik
May 2nd, 2009, 08:57:07 PM
I'm not comparing them in the least, but since I can't remember...

How many times did Jordan retire and come back? I think it was twice once with the Bulls and then once with the Wizards, but I can't remember exactly.

As for Farve... Since Minny was where he wanted to go last year anyway it wouldn't surprise me. They still don't have a QB... I'd say a team with a young QB that needs someone to learn under should pick him up, but not sure... guess it depends on which team.

*looks at SF's depth chart*

Lykaios
May 2nd, 2009, 09:45:18 PM
Yup, His Airness retired twice, but before coming back he was actually retired for almost 2 years.

First time he hung 'em up was in October '93 and he didn't come back until March '95. Second time he retired in January '99 and came back in September '01.

I think Favre wants to play with the Vikes, if not for any other reason than to spite the Packers. He understood that the Pack wanted to go in a different direction with Rodgers and that they had moved on without him, but he feels they treated him like crap when they didn't grant him his release, so what better way to stick it to them than by going to their most hated divisional rival? Who btw has one of the best, if not the best, RB in pro football.

I can already see the magazine covers

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2690700258_69ab64bc7d.jpg

Rutabaga
Aug 18th, 2009, 07:43:19 PM
So he did it. Brett Favre went and did it.

:shakefist

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 18th, 2009, 08:14:22 PM
Favre should stay retired. I don't think he will help the Vikings much. Also what about Michael Vick? I am not sure why the Eagles signed him. They do have McNabb.

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 18th, 2009, 08:15:45 PM
Ugh. I have so much respect for Favre as a QB... but seriously, he needs to make up his mind just stay retired. Just because he wants to "get back at the Vikes". -_-

Figrin D'an
Aug 18th, 2009, 09:15:00 PM
This is a huge, huge mistake for all parties involved, on so many levels. Everyone involved in this decision is looking ignoring a massive number of flaws and warts to see a very-hazy-at-best picture of a Lombardi Trophy.

However, as a Packers fan, it's going to be hard for me not to laugh as the Vikings self-destruct this season. Mark my words, it will happen. I have my doubts that they will even win a division championship, much less the NFC or the Super Bowl.

CMJ
Aug 19th, 2009, 12:06:12 AM
BREAKING: Brett Favre is still a douche.

Rutabaga
Aug 19th, 2009, 06:13:54 AM
I used to like him. Now I think he's just an ass. :shakefist

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 19th, 2009, 12:56:51 PM
BREAKING: Brett Favre is still a douche.

I agree to that.

Lykaios
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:05:02 PM
This deal has been done for a very long time. He didn't just have surgery to see if he could play, he knew he was going to play and so did the Vikes.

He is not the Favre that won SB XXXI, or won 3 straight MVP's from 95 to 97, but he brings more to the table than Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels ever would.

I think this is a great move for the Vikings. Will they win the SB? Probably not, but they will go further than they would with TJack or Sage at QB. For one, opposing D's won't be able to crowd the box anymore with 7 or 8 defenders to stop Peterson, D's will have to respect his passing, which no defensive coordinator did last year. His completion PCT down the field (passes of 20 yds or more) has dropped significantly but again, his QB IQ is way higher than any other QB in purple and gold.

The one thing that makes me mad is how the Vikes handled the whole thing, I couldn't agree more with Cris Carter
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" height="216" width="384">

</object>

This PR mess is what will make the Vikes implode for it will scare away free agents and even draft picks who will sign shorter term deals.

Xavier Synik
Aug 20th, 2009, 08:51:34 AM
And in other news...

Plaxico Burress pleads guilty to those gun charges and get's 2 years in prison. He'll probably only do a few months to a year, but he's out of football for at least one.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 20th, 2009, 04:55:42 PM
It sounds like he will get 20 months for good behavior. I'd say he is gone for 2 years.

Xavier Synik
Aug 20th, 2009, 10:10:58 PM
Heard more on SC tonight. It's 2 years in prison (but he'll surely get time for good behavoir and all that) and then 2 years supervised release.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with that, cause if the Comish treats this along the same lines as Vick, he should suspend him now indefinately, and then if he does that and still treats it like Vick, then it may be as much as 4 years, cause he didn't even talk about reinstating Vick until after his house arrest was over.

Now I know house arrest and supervised release (I assume that's similar to parole) aren't quite the same thing, but they should be treated similarly to a degree.

He could be done in football. Doubt it, but who knows.