PDA

View Full Version : Seperate Star Wars Timeline

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:46:03 PM
I'm putting this out here to see what kind of interest there would be in creating a seperate Star Wars timeline, based way way way waaaay back into the galaxies history. Specifically, around the birth of the Republic:

The Republic was born with the signing of the Galactic Constitution c. 25,000 BBY, during the Unification Wars. During that time, the Humans and Duros, reverse-engineering the Force-based technologies of the Rakata, invented the hyperdrive, allowing Coruscant to become the capital of the Galactic Republic and would remain that way for twenty-five thousand years. The Republic was created by the Core Founders.

Shortly after the formation of the Republic, the Perlemian Trade Route was mapped, linking Coruscant to Ossus, and bringing the Jedi Knights into the Republic. Over the next millennia, the Corellian Run was mapped, linking Coruscant to Corellia and beyond. The wedge defined by the two trade routes became known as "the Slice." Since the stretch of hyperspace galactic-west of Coruscant was anomaly-ridden and impassible for current Republic technology to traverse, the government expanded eastward, instead. The Core Worlds' portion of the Slice was known as the Arrowhead, and soon the Republic expanded into the Colonies.

Though history often recalls the Republic as a peaceful Republic, numerous galactic conflicts; such as the Hundred-Year Darkness, the Old Sith Wars, the Vultar Cataclysm, the Mandalorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War, the New Sith Wars, and the Clone Wars—occurred throughout its 25,000 year history.

So, people have just worked out how to build hyperdrive capable ships. The galaxy is a big scary place, unexplored and unmapped. Space travel is relatively new, but realizing its potential lots of change is occuring - people being trained to pilot newly designed ships, and so forth. Adventure, exploration, boldly going where no man has gone before... :mneh We would be so far back into the past that we wouldn't really have to worry about stepping on any toes, as far as continuity goes.

Anyone interested?

Darven
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:03:21 PM
I'd say go for it, but I'm also thinking we've got a lot of stuff in the works just now so how about we stick to that for now? Otherwise it's just going to go like the initial Shadows of the Republic thread and die after the first wave of enthusiasm is over.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:10:17 PM
Yeah someone should post *COFFCOFF* Sol *COFFCOFF* to Serena's Shadows of the Republic thread.

I like the idea, but we've got so much going on. ^_^;

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:20:08 PM
I never thought I'd see the day where you two - especially you two - would say that you weren't up for starting some new character/story. Amazing! :mneh

Anna Fernandez
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:22:48 PM
Shock, awe!

:mneh

Nya Halcyon
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:25:54 PM
Yeah well... I've been cutting back a bit. And what with some upcoming new chars I've got *wink* and another internship coming up in April, and 6 weeks of not being around in the summer, I don't want to spread myself too thin.

I guess I've grown up :p

But I'd say keep it on the backburner for now. It's definitely a good idea - just not until some of the things you've all been planning has been done, otherwise nothing moves forward anymore.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:32:57 PM
I suppose I do have a lot planned...

But if anyone else wants to run with this - anyone who doesn't have a lot planned *wink* - feel free! I would love to discuss storylines and join in at a later date :)

Rossos Atrapes
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:37:43 PM
That's actually an awesome idea. I'd definitely be up for some sorta explorer like thing.

Aurelias Kazaar
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:39:11 PM
I think we have enough going on as it is, but does it have to be a new timeline? Why not just have it take place in the current timeline but be 'past history' stuff.

But I think we've got enough going on as it is.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:57:50 PM
That's what I mean... set in the very distant past. So distant that it basically is a whole different timeline because none of the current characters will be born for tens of thousands of years.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:33:55 PM
It's a really good idea to save for a rainy day when we all are bored of what we have now.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 30th, 2009, 02:49:13 PM
..bump? >_>

Estelle Russard
May 2nd, 2009, 09:57:43 PM
It's a really good idea to save for a rainy day when we all are bored of what we have now.

I agree. I'd like to complete some stuff already "cookin."

....But in the future...(or the past, in this case ;) )

Ilias Nytrau
Jan 2nd, 2010, 04:42:11 PM
I still like this idea. Bump-a-bunk-a-dunk. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 13th, 2010, 10:49:20 AM
*nods* Me too.

Drin Kizael
Feb 13th, 2010, 08:21:06 PM
People can barely keep up with their threads now and you want to throw out yet one more universe?

I'm not sure how much it's going to "feel" like Star Wars regardless of it's ties to the same universe. Of course, maybe that's the point, especially if it's even before the formation of the Jedi Order (25,800 BBY).

Are you going for a more pure sci-fi setting with this? As interesting as that might sound, I point again to the pattern of threads dying because too many writers are split in too many directions already. Unless... you think people are really just bored with this era already and it's reflected by that pattern.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 13th, 2010, 08:40:32 PM
I'm not bored with what we're doing. I'm actually having an awesome time :)

Captain Untouchable
Feb 13th, 2010, 08:45:04 PM
Why have I not commented on this? What the hell?

I like the idea, but not the setting. Personally, I think it'd be a better bet to aim around the KOTOR era. It's still recognisably Star Wars and, well... there's the new TOR MMO coming out next year. We're bound to want to roleplay as the characters we set up there at some point or another, so it might be interesting to... I dunno... do some roleplay during the Sith/Republic wars?

That said, I also like the explorer idea. Hmm. What about trying to keep it concentrated to a single thread, rather than an entirely new setting - ie. set up the characters/crew as all being on the same ship, and do an "adventure of the week" type story. If the setting works, we can expand; if it doesn't, no harm done.

Drin Kizael
Feb 13th, 2010, 11:27:35 PM
I realized after I wrote my post that the timeframe you picked IS after the formation of the Jedi, but still, I think it's too far removed to really have that "Star Wars" feel. IF you were to throw in another timeline (I figure you'd just preface the threads with something like Shadows of the Republic" does now)... the farthest back I'd want to go is somewhere in the stretch between the KOTOR games and the new SW: TOR MMO.

But I'd still rather people get more jazzed about this era. It's hard enough to keep folks active as it is now with the rampant alt-itis. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 14th, 2010, 04:30:15 AM
I'm almost certain that once the new Old Republic MMO is released, there will be roleplaying in that era going on - and I am excited to see what kind of stuff we will do with that.

That being said, the whole Republic vs. Sith Empire wasn't exactly what I was going for with my initial idea - but as is always the case, posters are free to run with whatever scenarios they want. You don't need the approval of everyone here to start up a new timeline in the SW or Gen RPing forums - you can just go ahead and do it. I certainly don't expect everyone on the forums to find every 'scenario' interesting or appealing to them.

As for people having trouble keeping up with what they're doing now... I wouldn't entirely agree. We have a core group of writers who post every day and maintain a large number of characters, whilst also keeping up their day jobs. Threads do die before completion, but that has always been the case. Not that it's an especially good thing, but if people are drawn to another idea for whatever reason.. that's up to them.