PDA

View Full Version : Open Wounds

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:02:13 PM
In the days following her return to Necia and the incident at the Oratorium, Fyrian and Erifa had been allowed little knowledge of what had befallen Weeta; all they knew was that the Mer had been taken to the Fire Academy. Beyond that, nothing. It was maddening, and none would disclose any information that could possibly be had. Weeta lived, that much the two Glaucans were told, but as to her state there was nothing anyone would say.

For Fyrian and Erifa both, it was maddening. They shared a room in Draxus' villa, away from any prying eyes that might be seeking them out. The Satrap himself had remained absent, but that was to be expected. There was no doubt in Fyrian's mind that he was dealing with the aftershocks her arrival had created.

Both Glaucans sat on the floor, a shallow water bowl between them. Erifa had healed her hands over the course of the previous day, submerging them in water and calling upon her great father to mend the burns she'd sustained. Fyrian however had had more contact, and her own injured hands were taking more time. With gentle touches and gentle words, Erifa held her captain's hands beneath the water. Through her murmurings the cool liquid glowed a soft blue, working to heal and wash away the blisters on Fyrian's palms.

For her part, Fyrian remained quiet, her eyes closed as Erifa worked her magic. Her hands would heal she had no doubts.

But, more-so than her own self, there were other wounds that she was worried for; and whether or not those wounds could be healed.

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:55:52 PM
The atrium doors swung open as Draxus and his entourage returned from the day's labors.

"Dispatch my edicts immediately, I want no delays in this."

A weary-faced Draxus passed off handfuls of scrolls to a pair of men, who bowed and quickly exited.

"Tonic water."

A slave approached with a small glass of a cloudy liquid, which the Satrap drank from on his way to his study.

"Someone summon Ari...Fyrian. At once."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:07:16 PM
Erifa's healing powers were strong, and while Ariadne still felt a slight burning soreness in the palms of her hands, she knew that the injuries would indeed heal. She simply needed more time to allow them the chance. Eirfa was drying her captain's hands with a small hand towel when the slave entered their room, beckoning for the elder Glaucan to accompany him.

A nod, and she left the girl behind without a word. Both knew who had called for her, and both exchanged resolute stares before Ariadne disappeared through the doorway.

When she was admitted into the Satrap's study, she stood just inside the now-closed door, staring at him from across the room.

"You should have let me pass on the road from Tirgatia," she finally spoke, cutting the silence between them like a hot knife through butter.

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:32:09 PM
"Indeed." Draxus said tautly, not particularly caring to dredge up the past or any regrets of it.

"Sit."

He unfurled a scroll on his desk as he sipped his tonic water.

"Your antics the other day have nearly undone my entire life's work. By the force of my will and the good graces of the Gods, we endure."

Draxus tossed her a transcribed copy of the same document before him.

"The Satrapy is nearly at war with itself. My petty squabbles with Regulus Varo have become magnified, and the entire government has polarized. Right now, my party supports your petition for Republican clemency and the drafting of pardons not just for you, but your entire fold, on the condition of course that they align themselves with Demos."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:45:27 PM
Not even bothering to open the scroll he'd tossed, Fyrian only stared at him, her green eyes giving him an icy look.

"They will do as I tell them to."

She folded her hands in her lap, carefully massaging the still tender flesh. This talk of political rivalries was only the surface, and she intended to immediately cut it away.

"I did what had to be done. Whatever turmoil you now feel however, was not caused by my arrival in the Oratorium."

She leaned forward, her eyes narrowing as her voice lowered to a biting hiss.

"It was you, oh noble Satrap, who began this game. You conspired with my father to begin this, to allow your precious Lantern to become separated from Necia.

"And what I have done in returning the Lantern, is nothing short of fulfilling your ultimate desire."

She pointed an accusing finger at him.

"You wanted Necia, and I have given you Necia."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:51:00 PM
He would not stoop to fall for her barbs. What he had to say was clear, and to the point.

"The Satrapy requires disclosure of Kairun Fyrian's plans, and his intentions with the lantern."

He took another drink of tonic water and met her eyes.

"It is as you say, my designs included work done at your father's hand, but we both know that this is not quite as it has been. Your father had intentions beyond our agreement.

I need you to rectify this, and to give the Satrapy a name."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:02:19 PM
"Kariun spit in Denetion's eye. The both of you did, but Kariun wished for more."

She leaned back in her seat.

"He meant to take the Lantern to Nusakar."

The land of the dead. The land that none returned from. The cursed land that destroyed all who ventured past her borders. A dead wasteland that held such terrible power to turn whole armies into fields of bleach-white bones. Only death and suffered could reside in Nusakar.

"He hated Necia. If there was anything I remember most about him, it was the endless tirades over Necian atrocities and horrors. He would sit me on his knee and tell me terrible stories of Necian soldiers, raiding villages and conquering lands so they could call them their own."

She looked away from Draxus.

"And he hated you most of all."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:14:28 PM
Draxus half smiled.

"Convictions at least. It does not surprise me that I keep enemies with some fortitude and will. He's neither the first nor will he be the last. All great men collect such adversaries."

He rose from his desk.

"Nusakar does no one any benefit, however, and so we need another name."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:22:58 PM
She turned to look at him, watching as he rose to stand. Another name??!

"But I've given you his intentions. He told me himself that he was to take the Lantern to Nusakar."

The expression on his face gave her pause, and before long she too stood up from her chair. She scowled at him, finally understanding his intentions. He was shrewd, cunning, and above all, ambitious. It fairly radiated from him, and worse yet, to Fyrian, it was infectious.

"Tell your Satrapy to turn their swords to Ankaa."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:28:11 PM
Draxus nodded in perfect understanding.

"That is a name that will be of great curiosity to hear, I'm sure of it."

He finished his tonic water, the ache in his head subsiding somewhat.

"When the Satrapy takes your deposition, make mention of our mutual Ankaaran enemy. They have queer and foreign ways, but above all, they are an enemy with both wealth and allure. A sensible enemy to have."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:41:29 PM
A shallow bow, and Fyrian closed her eyes.

"I will do so."

She watched him carefully, trying to pick apart his movements, his expression, anything. He appeared tired, worn down, and it made her yearn to reach out and alleviate his aches and pains.

"You wanted Necia for your own," she repeated her earlier words, though now her voice held a softer edge, a pleading undertone that begged for him to understand.

"And I could think of nothing to give to you short of that."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:52:17 PM
"And I to you, a life free from the trouble of ever-vigilant Necian retribution for crimes that were not yours."

He massaged a temple, at last returning to recline on his couch.

"Then why do I not feel at ease?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:09:18 PM
She followed at a slower pace, coming to a halt beside the couch before carefully lowering herself to her knees. She rocked back slightly, settling her weight more comfortably. She had come back for her crew, to give them their freedom and release them from the punishments brought on their heads by Kariun. But, it was not the only reason that she'd returned. The same loyalty to her men was the same loyalty that Draxus had for Necia, and she'd found a deep kinship because of that.

She stared at his face, her eyes locked with his.

"Through me, my men are yours."

Fyrian reached out then, ever-so-tentatively, and touched his fingers.

"But they were not the only reason that I returned."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:16:34 PM
Draxus was lost in his thoughts.

"I feel that the virtue of our love has been molested somehow by the unsavory aspects of our reality, and I wish this to not be so.

We have both deceived each other. I pray that our deceptions are now ended."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:42:20 PM
She made a pained face at that.

"I am the same woman that you met in Tirgatia; I am Fyrian, but I am also still Ariadne."

She felt for all of Asga like a spurned woman, turned away, and in a pang of regret the Glaucan stood. The muscles in her jaw clenched; she swallowed hard. She had indeed impaled him upon his own ego as she'd intended at the start of this, but after it all, she found that she too was as deeply wounded as he.

Her next words were but a whisper.

"Am I to be dismissed, then... ?"

Please, tell me to stay. Do not cast me out...

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:48:49 PM
"Stay with me the night."

It came as a whisper, and he looked up at her with a serious earnestness.

"For whatever we've done against each other, I cannot imagine enduring the days without your embrace. Perhaps we can atone for our transgressions, the both of us."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:12:16 PM
The relief in her eyes was a tangible thing, and Ariadne moved to sit at his side. And though her hands were still warm to the touch, she carefully reached out to trace his browline. That she would remain with him was obvious in her expression, the harsh lines that had dominated her countenance when she'd first come into the study having melted away. She would stay with him every night if he so wished.

A tender smile.

"My necklace; you still have it?"

Csephion Draxus
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:39:45 PM
He rose from his seat, and went to a shelf, plucking an ornately carved wooden turtle shell from its resting place. He opened it, and held the familiar article of jewelry aloft.

"I still do."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:46:44 PM
She rose as well, trailing after him. Reaching out to take the simple charm, she felt the familiarity of its' curves for a few moments before untying the leather thong and replacing it around her neck. She felt whole once more; its' weight a comforting thing.

"In the Oratorium," she frowned at the memory, "... you looked as though you already knew."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:29:58 AM
"I did."

Draxus nodded, and gestured to her.

"Turn around."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:34:13 AM
There was a moment of hesitation as she gave him a slightly befuddled look at his request, but she obeyed regardless, turning away from him.

Csephion Draxus
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:37:23 AM
Draxus ran a finger along her back, tracing the lines of her tattoos.

"A priestess of Denetion visited me in your absence, and shed light upon the amulet's origins."

He paused.

"I would have greatly preferred to hear it from you first."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:20:38 PM
She bowed her head at that, remaining silent for a short while. If circumstances had permitted, there was a possibility that she would've confessed, but it had not been so. The Glaucan pulled in a long breath while reaching up to grasp the medallion lightly.

"And if I had told you when we met - what would you have done."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:22:08 PM
He smiled wistfully at that.

"Something unfortunate, I'm afraid."

He turned her around.

"Perhaps it is a foolish wish."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:35:25 PM
"It is your right to be allowed that courtesy."

She could not undo what she'd done in the past anymore than he could, and Fyrian knew that it would be a waste of time to ponder over such thoughts. She matched his own smile with one of her own, resting a hand on his chest for a moment before straightening the edges of his tunic out of the simple need for something to do.

An amused hrmph escaped her lips then, and she went on.

"I'd sent my navigator southward so that I could pass by your party in Tirgatia; I wished to see what sort of a man you were."

Her smile widened at the memory of Glasswater's rather vocal disagreement of her choice.

"Much to his disapproval, I might add."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:47:59 PM
"Understandable. I'm sure that I carried an inescapable air of notoriety."

Draxus summoned a slave to bring wine to the study.

"And does your navigator still harbor such prejudice on my person?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:18:51 PM
Fyrian gave a shrug.

"That I do not know. He is a sensible man, and one who I would trust explicitly. He and Blackpool both were always about while I was growing up."

Taking his hand in hers, she pulled him to a window that overlooked the ocean. It was a breathtaking view that few could boast of having. The scent of the sea air was exquisite, and the thin flaps covering her gills flexed in involuntary reaction.

She stared sadly out at the waves as they relentlessly crashed against the shore.

"I have watched as many of my lifelong friends died, but none hurt so much as Blackpool's death."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:58:14 PM
He could not quite share in her grief as he was removed from their intimacy, but he nodded in empathy from experiences no doubt similar to her own.

"Perhaps some greater justice can be purchased by his death then."

He turned his attention from the sea to her.

"Let's give meaning to his end."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:02:32 AM
For a while longer she stared, her green eyes simply watching as the water moved, tossed about by Denetion's will. Eventually she turned to match his gaze, and leaning on the windowsill, Fyrian allowed her grief to subside.

"What do you propose?"

Csephion Draxus
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:06:20 AM
"Our actions have helped to forge cooperation between Necia and your fold."

He sipped of his wine and returned his view to the sea.

"We are sure to have struggles ahead, but I believe that if we persevere, that we can bring law and civilization to a reach beyond imagination."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:09:40 AM
A knowing smirk, and she watched him as he sipped his wine. Her eyes danced in teasing delight.

"Conquering all of Asga is your dream, if I recall."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:27:30 AM
He quirked an eyebrow at her remark.

"And what of you? You've tasted of civilization and a verdant society. Is my dream nothing but vanity?"

A small smile.

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 25th, 2009, 07:45:48 PM
"Vanity?"

She looked past him, considering his question.

"No, not vanity. It is a noble thing to wish greatness for one's nation and brethren."

Fyrian returned her eyes to his after considering her next words. Indeed, what of her?

"As for myself, I've known nothing but Kariun's way of life." She bit her lip in thought.

"My family was not always cursed to live between land and water, you know. We've been adrift upon Denetion's waves for so long now that it is all we know. My time with you was a wonderful thing, but I do not know how well I would be accepted here. Your Imperator told me that Necian's have long memories, and I worry that my presence here would cause trouble among your people."

Ariadne lifted a hand then, running light fingers over his browline.

"Regardless of that however, my dream still remains the same."

A smile at the questioning look in his eyes.

"I wish to give you everything that you want."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 25th, 2009, 09:42:24 PM
"Long memories change with more things to remember."

He gestured to the sea.

"We were born a nation of nations, and of people with differences. Through the ages, we all came together to compromise and work together toward something a little larger than just the sum of our numbers and efforts."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:10:00 PM
She followed his gesture to look out the window, lost in her thoughts and the meaning of his words.

"Kariun's hatred made no allowance that the whole of Necia might not be adequately represented by those that he already knew. I used to hate Necians as well, until I grew old enough to make my own decisions."

Breathing in deeply, she closed her eyes, her head tilting upward to revel in the scents of the ocean.

"It is nice to see that there are still men who do not judge the whole by the actions of the few."

An amused smile.

"Likewise, it would seem that those of my crew aren't without the ability to look upon others with a new light either. The girl - Erifa. She wishes to thank you for your kindness in safeguarding her in the Oratorium, but I'm afraid that you still scare her somewhat.

"So I will thank you for her."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:17:45 PM
"And I thank her for her special gift of rejuvenation."

It had not escaped Draxus' notice that Ariadne's burns had receded noticably.

"She has uncanny affinity, even amongst Glaucans."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:30:20 PM
"She is a daughter of Denetion," came the sighing response.

"She calls to him, and he answers in kind."

Self-consciously she brought her hands together, looking down at the nearly-healed wounds she'd sustained.

"I will tell her of your gratitude when next I see her."

Staring at her hands, she went on in a quiet voice.

"What happens now?"

It was a broad question that encompassed not only the rest of their afternoon, but the state of Necia as a whole.

Csephion Draxus
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:20:55 PM
"After your deposition, I imagine a great deal."

He took another drink of wine.

"Varo must be politically isolated. If he retains any power, he will be a nettlesome enemy. I suspect that by naming Ankaa, we will do a great deal of damage to his party."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:29:17 PM
It made sense; she'd placed the sword in Draxus' hand, and he had to but drive it inwards. She could still see his face among the rest of the Satrapy, infuriated at her sudden appearance. It had been a glorious thing to speak to him as she had.

"My men - what will become of them... and myself in these times?"

Csephion Draxus
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:01:09 AM
He looked to her.

"I imagine their talents will be useful, or as useful as you're willing to make them. If there is war with Ankaa, open piracy upon Ankaaran junks may very well be profitable for you."

The Satrap swirled his wine about in his glass.

"Spoils of war."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 26th, 2009, 08:17:22 PM
"Is that so."

She gave a coy smile to him then, and with a steady hand, the Glaucan relieved him of his glass. Taking a sip, she savored the taste on her tongue while moving in close to him. If there were still boundaries between them, she did not wish to risk crossing them, and so refrained from anything other than simple close proximity.

"I have spent enough time away. I trust that, if Necia does begin sounding the drums of war, it would not be unwelcome if I remain at your side. My crew is capable of fulfilling your wishes without me having to guide them."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:20:46 PM
Draxus nodded.

"Of course. If a war council is convened, advisors will have to be chosen. I think your peculiar experiences would make you an ideal choice for inclusion."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:28:02 PM
She considered this, and agreed to the notion.

"It is a good start in gaining atonement for scuttling my ship," she murmured.

Csephion Draxus
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:36:07 PM
The Satrap smiled.

"And if it's ships that the lady wants, she'll have scores to choose from. Our Glaucan nations are seafarers every bit as ancient as your family."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
Fyrian gave him a look, one corner of her mouth tikking upwards.

"Is that so?"

One last drink, and she returned the glass to Draxus.

"Well. The lady is content to wait and see how the coming days treat her for now."

Moving away, she made her way to the couch, slowly lowering herself to sit.

"I would like to see how your fellow Satraps tread in these first days before anything else."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 26th, 2009, 10:08:44 PM
He followed her to the couch, reclining on it alongside her.

"Of course. We still have work to do before the fact, but once Ankaa is confirmed as our enemy, I see little to stop us."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 27th, 2009, 09:06:02 PM
She pondered this, looking past him as her eyes took on a somewhat distant sheen. What the Satrapy did now was not dictated by her; she'd merely nudged them in the direction that Draxus wished to proceed. Would they truly consider going to war with Ankaa? That Necia encompass the entirety of Asga with her rule was impossible in her estimations.

Still keeping her stare past him, Fyrian pulled in a long breath.

"You truly believe that your kinsmen will wish to wage war?"

Csephion Draxus
Feb 27th, 2009, 10:02:39 PM
"It will be a prospect difficult to avoid. The theft of the lantern is a deep provocation. Combined with the pragmatic possibility of opening the western continent to our influence, I think the case will be a convincing one, no matter where one's priorities may fall on the issue."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 27th, 2009, 10:09:10 PM
"And when Ankaa denies their involvement? You and I both know that they have nothing to do with this, and their words will be the truth. As deep as the Lantern's theft has cut, would there be any doubt that they truly Stole from Necia?"

Without thinking, Ariadne played with the hem of his sleeve.

She was new to this game of politics, and it showed in her perplexed frown and restless hands.

Csephion Draxus
Feb 27th, 2009, 10:55:22 PM
"What value would Ankaaran denial have in the face of such a clandestine act? Like Necian ether, it would ignite without provocation. The deed is already done and plain to see. What would the people believe? That such a transgression would be the work of small and petty actors? On the contrary, only a greater threat would be given earnest consideration."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 27th, 2009, 11:19:00 PM
"It would be prudent to account for every avenue though, would it not? To be ready for any reaction."

She ceased her ministrations, quieting her nervous hands. Of course he would be ready; he had been a soldier before the politician she now knew. Suddenly, the Glaucan felt foolish for her worry, and reached for his wine to drink away the thought.

Csephion Draxus
Feb 27th, 2009, 11:51:12 PM
"There is an Ankaaran diplomat sequestered in Demos."

Draxus drank of his wine, deep in thought.

"I suppose it would be no hardship to secretly implicate him in these dealings."

He eyed the necklace that was once more around Ariadne's neck.

"A forged document, supposedly from Kairun, with a broken seal printed by your amulet, perhaps?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 28th, 2009, 12:01:53 AM
A half-nod, but it wasn't long before she gave him a sideways glance.

"Possibly."

There was a mirthful glint in her green eyes.

"As lawless as Kariun projected himself, he was not above certain habits of an official nature.

"He had a signet ring fashioned; Erifa keeps it for me."

With a gentle hand, Fyrian angled his head up from the medallion she wore so that the two locked eyes.

"That would be a better tool than my necklace I think."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 28th, 2009, 12:05:27 AM
"I was merely acting from what I knew, but naturally your idea fits even better."

He smiled cordially, raising his glass in approval.

"Very well then. Produce the signet, and I will make sure to produce the remaining evidence. I keep certain people on my employ when matters of deniability are important."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 28th, 2009, 12:35:27 AM
Fyrian gave a smirk, watching him. She sat at his side, watching him sip his wine, and it wasn't long before she resituated herself. Talk of the current happenings was all well and good, but there were other topics that interested her, and she wished to explore the new candor that the two had agreed to share.

No more lies, no more half-truths.

"Tell me of your years as Imperator."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 28th, 2009, 01:08:24 AM
He quirked an eyebrow at that.

"It is as they say, history."

He walked to a scroll cabinet, plucking a cyllinder that held numerous writings.

"One of my officers in the field, he himself later an Imperator, had written of my campaigns, which were mostly against the Jarnvidian hordes and the hill peoples of the west."

He didn't bother to make any further show of the scrolls, as he was sure she'd read that if she so chose. No, she wanted to hear of it from his own mouth.

"Leading men into war is to exist in a state of nature between omnipotence and oblivion. I think there is something desirable about this razor's edge that compels a good leader."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 28th, 2009, 01:35:19 PM
Fyrian stayed where she sat upon the couch, watching him with some interest. Her hands fell to her lap, and she rubbed her palms, gently to ease the first beginnings of soreness.

The light of the sun was ever so slowly bleeding into a warm orange glow, and it filtered through the window to cast the room in soft illumination.

"And do you get the same satisfaction from your current position?"

Csephion Draxus
Feb 28th, 2009, 05:12:18 PM
"I do."

Draxus plucked one of the scrolls, unfurled it, glancing at it momentarily.

"There are similarities, though I at times miss the honesties of war. Deception is common in both, but I feel it tends on the endemic in politics."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 28th, 2009, 05:37:45 PM
"And your feud with Varo?"

She rose slowly, but made no move to approach him. That deception was a larger player in the political arena was strengthened by her own falsehood; her own untrue claims that Draxus had known who she was and sent her after the Lantern.

"Is his ire carried over from your days as Imperator, or is he simply a side-effect of your transition into the Satrapy."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 28th, 2009, 10:09:17 PM
"My quarrel with Varo only began upon my entry into politics. Perhaps it is nothing more than two charismatic men, and that conflict would be inevitable."

He shook his head.

"However such a thing begins, all that is to be said of it now is that it simply is."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 28th, 2009, 10:17:04 PM
Ariadne moved then, shortening the distance between the two. Drawing close, the Glaucan slowly drew the scroll he held from his hand to set it back in its' previous resting place.

"I would like to think," she started quietly, "That I have begun the end to your rivalry with him."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 28th, 2009, 10:20:11 PM
He smiled wistfully.

"Perhaps with Varo, but there will always be another. Power never stands completely unopposed."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 28th, 2009, 10:32:41 PM
The soft oranges of waning sunlight felt warm on her skin, and she pulled in a long breath. Night would be upon them soon.

"I do not expect you to remain as such, but you have traded Varo for a much worthier opponent to be had in Ankaa."

She studied him, his features, his posture.

"As well, you have taken steps to secure the Fold - and Fyrian - as your own."

Csephion Draxus
Feb 28th, 2009, 11:27:11 PM
"As Necia's own."

Draxus nodded.

"Whatever power is entrusted to me, it is to that end. Make no mistake, I am not and shall never be a tyrant."

Ariadne Fyrian
Feb 28th, 2009, 11:44:17 PM
Ariadne gave him a smile, resting a warm palm over his cheek.

"It is not my intention to imply such a thing."

She pulled away, returning to his desk so that she could pour herself a glass of wine. She thought of the last few days, her return, and the aftershocks that her actions had caused. And, she thought of Glasswater.

The Glaucan alleviated an itch that had begun to form just below her neck.

"My navigator; Mako pursues him to the Fian city."

Csephion Draxus
Mar 1st, 2009, 02:08:47 AM
Draxus paused.

"What of this navigator? Has there been an insurrection in your fold?"

Why was she telling him of this now?

Ariadne Fyrian
Mar 1st, 2009, 09:40:35 AM
Ariadne waved him away with a laugh. Insurrection? The thought was amusing to think of; that her men - even Glasswater - would turn away from her.

"Nothing of the sort. My crew is as bound to their captain as they are bound to the seas.

"Glasswater goes to Ha'lainn Inniu to bring a Fian to Necia for Weeta. I'm unsure of the situation exactly, but it seems the Bowl Reef is being affected. The magic there has become twisted somehow."

Csephion Draxus
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:39:10 AM
"That would seem consistent with what others have reported across Asga. There seems to be a change in the nature of the Affinities."

He rubbed at his temples.

"I am no priest, I cannot speak of such things with any authority. The Mer woman's transmutation of the Lantern is disconcerting enough as it is, however."

Something still troubled him.

"You said Mako was in pursuit of your navigator? This belies a lack of cooperation. What is the situation in the south?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:56:17 AM
"Yes well, I left against his wishes."

Mako was not at fault for the circumstances he now found himself, and Fyrian felt a pang of sympathy for the man.

"Weeta was sent by the Mer Elders to find the Fian and ask them for help, but her absorbtion of the Lantern's power was the reason I fled North with her."

A worried look was sent to the Satrap.

"We split from Glasswater in the hopes that two quarries would be enough of a distraction and allow our unhindered return. Only the Fire Mages here could help her."

Csephion Draxus
Mar 1st, 2009, 01:47:13 PM
The Satrap steepled his fingers together as he thought.

"Is Mako's Expeditia still ensconced at Peer? Perhaps a courier can be sent."

Ariadne Fyrian
Mar 1st, 2009, 01:55:02 PM
"As far as I know, yes."

She sipped at her drink, recalling their short time in Peer.

"We took a small group inland to find Glasswater."

She stared at Draxus, watching as he considered her words.

"He knows who I am," she finished.

Csephion Draxus
Mar 1st, 2009, 02:32:16 PM
"And I assume he did not take to such candor as well as I, then?"

If she'd had to flee from the Imperator, that much was given.

"I will send a courier then. With luck, the news will reach Mako well."

Ariadne Fyrian
Mar 1st, 2009, 02:59:34 PM
"On the contrary, he was most understanding. He allowed me a reasonable leash, and I agreed to help retrieve the Lantern. I had my own reasons for doing so, but at the time they coincided well enough with his."

She looked to the window, watching as the sun touched the watery horizon.

"He would not allow me to leave once that was done however, and so I had to steal away.

"It is through no fault of his that I am here; he wished to continued looking for your other man, Denix, but my time was short and I had to act."

Csephion Draxus
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:42:07 PM
"Yes, Denix."

Draxus thought of the matter.

"I would hope for the best, but I fear it is folly. His fleet was dashed against a hurricane."

Ariadne Fyrian
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:51:19 PM
She remembered that storm, and the consequences it had.

"It was Denetion's punishment upon both you and my father. Be happy that you did not bear the brunt of the anger and lose your life as Kariun did."

Csephion Draxus
Mar 1st, 2009, 03:54:34 PM
"Perhaps it was. Ill-aimed at a man who deserved no such thing, but that is not my choice."

Draxus made a motion with his hands, as if to wash the matter from the basin of discussion.

"He was my military chronicler."

He gestured to the assembled scrolls.

Ariadne Fyrian
Mar 1st, 2009, 04:14:17 PM
Emptying the contents of her glass, Fyrian continued to watch as the sun slowly sank low, casting colorful flames across the waves.

There was always a chance that the man, Denix, had lived, but it remained to be seen. Denetion's punishments could be as complicated or simple as he wished, and the latter had been given to Kariun. Perhaps Denetion had something other than such a plain retribution for Draxus? Whatever it was, the Glaucan decided that dwelling on the matter would get her nowhere.

Setting her now empty glass down, Ariadne looked to the Satrap.

Csephion Draxus
Mar 1st, 2009, 04:17:00 PM
"Spend the evening with me, Ariadne."

He gestured for her hand.

"As long as you are willing, allow me to dispense my hospitality to you."