PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica Reimagined... AGAIN!?

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:23:18 AM
USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN DISCUSSING THE REIMAGINED SERIES PLEASE

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i6c21c5456af552198c4cfa579b7b0f13

Just as the acclaimed Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica" enters its final episodes, Universal has quietly entered into negotiations with Glen A. Larson to write and produce a big-screen version of the property he created.

"Battlestar," which originally aired on ABC in 1978, was produced in the wake of the success of "Star Wars," which caused a sci-fi revival in popular culture. The premise involved a human civilization living on a series of 12 planets that are decimated from an attack by intelligent robots known as Cylons. The survivors are led by a starship called Galactica in their attempt to find a mythic 13th planet named Earth.

The Sci Fi series, under the direction of executive producer Ronald Moore, took the premise and ran with it, incorporating the politics of war, religion, torture and destiny, becoming the channel's signature series.

The movie effort would have no connection to the series and would relaunch the story in a new medium. However, staples such as the characters Adama, Starbuck, and Baltar will remain.

Larson was one of the biggest names in 1970s and '80s TV and creator of shows like "Switch" and "Magnum P.I."

Universal had no comment.

:|

This worries me.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2009, 11:48:33 AM
I don't think it would work, probably go straight to DVD.

Rutabaga
Feb 21st, 2009, 03:25:31 PM
Not a good idea AT ALL, especially considering how brilliant the current series is.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:23:33 PM
Why would anyone think this was a good idea?! O_o *headdesk*

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:27:48 PM
Beats me. I mean the article doesn't mention the involvement of any of the current actors, so I'm guessing it will be a whole new cast and reworking of the story? In which case, why why why? :headache If nothing else, BSG obviously just isn't a story you can tell in a single movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:36:25 PM
I hope Glen Larson has some creative integrity and doesn't want his work to be reimagined again. Can he even let someone else take the rights? I don't know anything about that sort of thing, to be honest.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:38:52 PM
Universal has quietly entered into negotiations with Glen A. Larson to write and produce a big-screen version of the property he created.

Well it sounds like Larson is going to do it himself? :/

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 21st, 2009, 06:38:59 PM
I'll pretend I didnt read this thread because it's just so obviously dumb, no sane person would do it.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:19:34 PM
It's stupid even if you have all the coke in LA up your nose.

Peter McCoy
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:46:24 AM
That's a lot of coke.

I'm just at the end of Season 1 at the moment and loving it. It'd just be annoying if they hit the reset button again. Whats more difficult? Carrying on a current idea with new events and situations, or coming up with a whole new thing? It baffles me why this is even being considered.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:55:03 AM
Well if the 'reset' button is pushed, it won't be by the people who have done the BSG series we're all enjoying right now.

The only reason I can think of for people to entertain this idea is that they want to CASH IN and MAKE TONS OF MONEY. Which is a terrible idea. Ideas like this create terrible movies that fail terribly. TERRIBLE.

Droo
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:22:23 AM
The only reason I can think of for people to entertain this idea is that they want to CASH IN and MAKE TONS OF MONEY. Which is a terrible idea. Ideas like this create terrible movies that fail terribly. TERRIBLE.

Now, just for the rest of the world to realise this and we'll all be much happier for it!

Yog
Apr 1st, 2009, 05:53:27 PM
A friend of mine summarised the situation pretty well for me on AIM:

I think it's a slap in the face to the fan base that BSG has accumulated in the last 6 years, and the masterpiece of the tv series. It's not actually a movie about the real BSG, the one that you and i have come to love. No, it's a remake of this giant steaming pile of crap. Glen Larson managed to pop out of his pyramid or wherever the fuck mormons go when they're dead and convince a studio to make a film about daggets and 24 episodes with special effects shots all recycled from the pilot episode and 2-headed alien women with 6 saggy boobs. Obviously, glen larceny is trying to ride the coattails of battlestar galactica's masterpiece of a run to release a motion picture that is battlestar galactica in name only. It will be the toxic chinese toothpaste of battlestar galacticas.
One hell of a burn, but I think that is spot on.

Just to remind you guys, here is Glen Larson's vision of Battlestar Galactica:
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sbweBDnViyA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sbweBDnViyA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Yeah... this is a terrible idea.

I can only imagine this is done to make some profit of the increased popularity of the franchise name, or because Larson is jealous about the critically acclaim of the newer series.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 1st, 2009, 06:15:23 PM
We should find the threads that we done here in 2002 when that Cylon guy turned up to say how BSG was being reimaged.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:47:17 AM
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11373&highlight=battlestar

There you go. The other one seems to have vanished.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:06:54 AM
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11373&highlight=battlestar

There you go. The other one seems to have vanished.

Check the archive site :)

And I cant I'm going to bed :p

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:42:28 AM
http://www.sw-fans.net/archive/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29344&highlight=battlestar+galactica

Mixed opinions back then. Some people thought the original was crap, others loved it, others just ranting about how BSG was somehow responsible for the death of Farscape (not that it was... but I prefer BSG to Farscape anyway! Oh yeah I went there.)

I don't think it's really fair to compare the original series being remade, with the remake being.. remade o_O General consensus seems to be that the original was either cheesy (but fun) or sucked, whereas the remake has received a lot of praise. I mean, if the remake had sucked, fair enough, reboot the franchise if you must - but it didn't suck. :|

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:57:56 PM
THe original BSG WAS crap. I'm just amused several (And prolly includign me) thought a remake was just an incredibly bad idea - what was so great about BSG that it deserved a redo?

Okay it turns out new new BSG was an alsolute class act and Richard Hatch's persistance was well rewarded. And he also did a great job as Zarek. Now lets leave it be for now :)

Altho to be honest I could see a point that it could be reimaged again but goes in a different direction. Turns out the reason it deserved a redo was that the ideas were highly fertile, just poorly executed

Aree Ankarta
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:21:59 PM
You gotta be kidding me!!! The original was so bad that that was why I had no interest in watching the newer series (something that shall be changed soon, however). I mean, if they want to cash in on movies that are jumping on the sci-fi bandwagon, then there are tons of great stories out there that would make a hell of a lot more sense to make a movie out of than this one...

Idiots....

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 19th, 2009, 02:44:18 PM
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/08/13/bryan-singer-battlestar-galactica-movie/

Battlestar Galactica is getting the big-screen treatment. Universal Pictures has confirmed what was originally reported on HitFix.com that Bryan Singer, director of Valkyrie, will take on directing and producing duties for a BSG movie. Glen Larson, who created original series back in 1978, will produce as well. The film is not expected to be a continuation of current popular television show that’s running on the SyFy network but will be a complete re-imagining of the sci-fi lore that was invented by Larson back in the 70s.

Oh.

:|

Captain Untouchable
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:04:38 PM
Why? Why why why why why?

Seriously. What is the point? Sure, Star Trek was uber-successful. But announcing it the year that BSG finished... dancing on its grave a little, ain't it? Sure, its jumping on the success of Star Trek et al, but still.

Poor taste, Mr Singer. :shakefist

Rutabaga
Aug 19th, 2009, 07:37:56 PM
Why? Why why why why why?

Seriously. What is the point? Sure, Star Trek was uber-successful. But announcing it the year that BSG finished... dancing on its grave a little, ain't it? Sure, its jumping on the success of Star Trek et al, but still.

Poor taste, Mr Singer. :shakefist

I really couldn't put it much better than this.

I will root for its demise. This is so utterly disrespectful to and dismissive of what has been one of the best TV series in recent years (although the Emmys continue to ignore its very existence), it deserves to die a quick death.

:shakefist

Droo
Aug 20th, 2009, 04:26:06 AM
In fairness, if I remember correctly Brian Singer was trying to bring BSG back to television long before Ronald Moore was brought onboard but due to work commitments he had to pull out. He's clearly a fan of the material and who knows, a fresh big screen reincarnation might prove to be good. I have no expectations but I know what he did with the lycra-clad world of X-Men camp when he brought it to the big screen so he could certainly do the original series justice. One way or another, I'm not too bothered about it, I have the series on DVD and will be getting it on Blu-Ray and couldn't want for more.

Frankly, I think the only reason this is being made is down to the success of the television series and I'm not going to cry foul of it because I see the creators of Moore's BSG cashing in on their own success with Caprica, the pilot of which I thought was absolute rubbish and a vast departure from its predecessor. It all comes down to money-making at the end of the day.

Captain Untouchable
Aug 20th, 2009, 05:47:56 PM
I don't have an issue with it for "making money" issues. Hell, that's the point of business. If people didn't make money, we wouldn't have anything. Movies and TV wouldn't exist, because there'd be no return on the investment.

What I have is an issue with the timing. Sure, Singer has been trying for ages. But jumping on the bandwagon so soon after the previous revision of the franchise has ended just seems foolish. Its like they've shot themselves in the foot in terms of fanbase: they'll lose out on the audience that thinks "Oh god; not another one", and they'll anger a lot of the Battlestar fans who enjoyed the RDM series.

I'm not saying don't do it. But jeez; give it a year or two. Don't announce your plans to do it mere weeks before the final installment (The Plan) shows up in stores. If they'd been a little more patient and had waited, then they'd stand a much better chance of inheriting the RDM fans who have become bored with Caprica, and can thus get excited about some proper Battlestar action.

That phone advert is lies. Impatience is not a virtue, as far as public opinion is concerned.