PDA

View Full Version : Frontpage News (or lack thereof)

Atreyu
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:45:13 PM
Since I've begun regularly logging in via the front page, I couldn't help but notice the general lack of news items being posted.

The current 'Galactic Holonet' news items of late are great, however they only appear to get posted once every blue moon.

A suggestion - instead of having a dedicated 'Frontpage News' forum, why not instead link the news portal to our Star Wars Roleplaying forum? It would ensure a regular stream of new items every day, and would even help showcase our roleplays (since that is what our board does most these days) to any visitors that drop by. :)

(assuming of course this can be done - I'm guessing it can because from memory when we first moved to vB we had the news items linked to one of our general forums initially before creating a dedicated 'News' forum)

EDIT: to pre-empt any "What's the big deal?" queries - it's just a habit of mine when trawling sites, blogs etc to firstly check the most recent date of update as this indicates (to me anyway) how active the site is. With our last news item dated from November 2008 and earlier updates fairly sporadic I just feel that our frontpage doesn't really promote how active our board really is. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:19:28 AM
Is there anyone who would like the volunteer for the role of news correspondent? :) Perhaps writing updates every week (or two weeks if it's quiet) about what's been going on in the world of SWFans?

Darven
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:53:09 AM
There'll be a new holonet announcement soonish - that's all I can offer.

Actually, Jen - why don't you repost that announcement you made in the Sacrifice thread by Sanya, about the capture and execution of Dasquian?

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 19th, 2009, 07:40:45 AM
How soon is soonish? :mneh

Captain Untouchable
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:16:38 PM
Is there anyone who would like the volunteer for the role of news correspondent? :) Perhaps writing updates every week (or two weeks if it's quiet) about what's been going on in the world of SWFans?

I have an obscene amount of free time, so I might be able to do something like that.

Rather than a weekly news bulletin though, what if we tried to put together a bi-weekly or monthly newsletter type thing? We could potentially tackle it as an in-character venture: give some characters a monthly column, run interviews with some of the "celebrity" characters about the place, etc. For the more Rebel characters, we could always do a "criminal profile" instead of an interview; that sort of thing.

Or, we could do an out-of-character newsletter; interview the player behind the Focus Character and/or Focus Roleplay of the month? Maybe we could <s>pester</s> ask s'Il nicely to do a cartoon or something. :angel

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:18:53 PM
I like the idea of keeping the portal news In Character from now on, but whoever is the news person will be pretty much free to tackle this from whatever angle they want. Interviews and columns sound fun though :)

Atreyu
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:11:05 PM
If someone is willing to organise and/or post regular news items then I'll happily concede that as the better option. :)

My proposal was based on the assumption that no one was willing to do it and some alternative was needed.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:33:54 PM

I have an obscene amount of free time, so I might be able to do something like that.

Rather than a weekly news bulletin though, what if we tried to put together a bi-weekly or monthly newsletter type thing? We could potentially tackle it as an in-character venture: give some characters a monthly column, run interviews with some of the "celebrity" characters about the place, etc. For the more Rebel characters, we could always do a "criminal profile" instead of an interview; that sort of thing.

Or, we could do an out-of-character newsletter; interview the player behind the Focus Character and/or Focus Roleplay of the month? Maybe we could <s>pester</s> ask s'Il nicely to do a cartoon or something. :angelLooks like we have a willing victi...I mean volunteer. You've been promoted to mod of that forum so you can post new topics there freely. There really aren't any set rules. Feel free to experiment and discover your own path, which the masses may come to follow......... eventually.......hopefully :D

P.S. Thanks!!

Tear
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:59:54 PM

Or, we could do an out-of-character newsletter; interview the player behind the Focus Character and/or Focus Roleplay of the month? Maybe we could <s>pester</s> ask s'Il nicely to do a cartoon or something. :angel

Great Ideas. *Thinks of a Swfans version of MTV cribs*:lol

Captain Untouchable
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:09:29 PM
Promoted? Yay! Does that make me Major Untouchable now, or something? :lol

Thanks! I shall endeavour not to do anything too nefarious and evil for at least a week. ;)

If anyone wants to volunteer as columnists, interviewers, reporters, war correspondants, or victims of said individuals, shoot me a PM and let me know. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:30:01 AM
Consider me a volunteer (in any of my incarnations) for.. whatever as far as victims goes :lol

Darven
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:34:02 AM
I fyou need holonet announce, feel free to bug me.... every now and then I can be convinced to write up something too. IF you point me into the right direction :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 27th, 2009, 07:43:00 PM
If anyone else is interested in being a writer for the front page, please let us know :) There is no obligation to post on a specific schedule, and as Mr. Net said you are free to experiment with what get's posted - whether that be an official sounding news bulletin, or a more casual In Character 'blog' type feature, offering scathing social commentary :mneh ...whatever you want.

I'nu
Feb 27th, 2009, 08:25:48 PM
One of my threads (Who's Scruffy Looking? First Post) has something that could be of use.

Vince
Feb 27th, 2009, 08:44:42 PM
If anyone else is interested in being a writer for the front page, please let us know :) There is no obligation to post on a specific schedule, and as Mr. Net said you are free to experiment with what get's posted - whether that be an official sounding news bulletin, or a more casual In Character 'blog' type feature, offering scathing social commentary :mneh ...whatever you want.

My plans and background work on Madillon Calavro (The Che Character), would be excellent for at least one or two 'blog type' posts.

"In recent news, we have seen the attacks and counter attacks of the Imperialist dogs and the Rebel pigs. Both ignore the common man and his right to seize control of the gears of society for his own benefit! For the people!"

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 28th, 2009, 07:54:13 PM
If you're interested in writing a one off piece, PM it to me and I'll post it (with credit of course!)

Atreyu
Mar 17th, 2009, 08:01:57 PM
::bump::

Any action on this front? Doesn't appear that anything has changed on the frontpage (though I may be going blind in old age :))

Tear
Mar 17th, 2009, 08:58:14 PM
The Untouchable man was heading this up. He's been damaged and is currently in a bacta tank.

More information when it arrives, news at 11.

Hera
Mar 20th, 2009, 10:23:49 PM
That was pretty good Tear. You should sign up as Correspondent :)

Atreyu - That avatar is awesome :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 21st, 2009, 03:39:19 PM
What Tear neglected to mention is that he put the good Captain in said bacta tank... Imperial sabotage, I tell you! :uhoh

Dakota Gue
Mar 21st, 2009, 11:01:58 PM
If anyone wants to volunteer as columnists, interviewers, reporters, war correspondants, or victims of said individuals, shoot me a PM and let me know. :)

Any action on this front? Doesn't appear that anything has changed on the frontpage (though I may be going blind in old age :))

Im pretty sure I'll have something to contribute for this soon. I been mulling some thoughts around :)

What Tear neglected to mention is that he put the good Captain in said bacta tank... Imperial sabotage, I tell you! :uhoh

Can I quote you on that Mister Belargic? ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:07:27 AM
Given my current, ah, predicament.. I'm not sure I'd make a very credible source :uhoh

Atreyu
Mar 25th, 2009, 07:47:01 PM
:thumbup

The latest news post is great! Thanks to Dakota Gue for the update. :)

Tear
Mar 25th, 2009, 09:23:27 PM
Yes, she did a fantastic job. Big ups! ...homie. :dance

Dakota Gue
Mar 25th, 2009, 10:00:33 PM
Thanks, dudes!:rollin

Theres alot going on here to write about - it was a good suggestion to do something like this, Atreyu. When CU gets back in the saddle Im sure he'll have lots to add as well.

And - there's plenty of room for other volunteers *homie* :rolleyes
Bring us some of your hard-hitting reporting style, non?

Captain Untouchable
Mar 26th, 2009, 07:54:17 PM
Hey, guys!

Sending this message from within Tear's evil fortress. Med-droids have repaired the spinal damage from his brutal assault; have escaped, and am on the run. Am currently hacking his security network in search of an escape route. Expected back in friendly space within the next few days.

Updates as communications access becomes available again. Force be with us all!

Tear
Mar 27th, 2009, 11:01:23 AM
Ugh ... the droid was supposed to replace your spine with silly puddy. And quit it with the long distance calls! You have any idea how expensive it is to transmit from the outer rim? Roaming features and all...

This bills gonna kill me.:ohno

Captain Untouchable
Mar 27th, 2009, 01:11:14 PM
The droid succeeded, actually - it took some getting used to, but its actually got a variety of benefits. Falling over backwards is no longer a problem; my spine bounces me back to my feet!

Now, all I need to do is replace my top with rubber, and my bottom with springs...