PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter Blues

Sorsha Kasajian
Feb 14th, 2009, 04:23:48 PM
Is anyone here suffering from peanutbutter withdrawal as badly as I am? :cry

General Dan
Feb 14th, 2009, 04:44:24 PM
I need to cook with more of it. I don't usually make sweets so it doesn't get used often. Of course we have some forlorn-looking peanut sauce here too.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 14th, 2009, 05:26:34 PM
Peanut butter cookies... mmm...

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 14th, 2009, 05:40:29 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVr8GEn5yJA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVr8GEn5yJA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

J'ktal Anajii
Feb 14th, 2009, 05:43:38 PM
I haven't been able to have peanut butter for years now. Or nuts in general, for that matter. But I still haven't stopped missing it.

Darn crappy body not processing copper out right...

The Original BuffJedi
Feb 14th, 2009, 06:38:21 PM
I luckily had stocked up on it weeks before hand. And since I don't eat ,much it's lasted. We still have about 2 jars left. 1 peter pan and 1 jiffy if I'm not mistaken.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 14th, 2009, 07:02:59 PM
Regular jars of peanut butter should still be fine. Its just those nasty peanut butter crackers and other processed foods that are tainted.

If this is what you're referring to, Kitty. :hug

Stuff like Skippy and such should be perfectly fine to eat.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 14th, 2009, 07:05:16 PM
I haven't heard about any problems with peanut butter over here :huh Then again, it's not exactly a big deal like it seems to be in the States.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 14th, 2009, 07:16:58 PM
We have two peanut plants that were contaminated with salmonella, so its a big deal here. I don't think its affected anywhere else. Over 600 people got sick so far... :uhoh

Sanis Prent
Feb 15th, 2009, 08:00:29 AM
Hah, a peanut butter shortage due to salmonella, see I didn't even know.

Droo
Feb 15th, 2009, 08:39:47 AM
I think I'm alone in thinking peanut butter is absolutely vile. :uhoh

Sanis Prent
Feb 15th, 2009, 08:41:29 AM
Yes you are alone in that.

Lykaios
Feb 15th, 2009, 05:13:50 PM
I beg to differ

Welcome to Peanut-butter-vile-age
Population: 2 (Droo and Lykaios)

That stuff is just plain nasty

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 15th, 2009, 05:14:42 PM
I have only had it once or twice in my life. It's just not that big a deal over here.

Peanut sauces I like, but the butter.. I can live without.

Park Kraken
Feb 15th, 2009, 10:51:18 PM
They say it was one of the largest food recalls in recent U.S. history. Here is a page that lists recalled products -

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm#Brownie

Sorsha Kasajian
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:20:35 PM
Peanut Butter is a major ingredient in my houshold. I use it for cooking & baking as well as for sandwiches.

Parasite
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:34:04 PM
If I could, I would send you a big jar of Kraft PB, Kitty. We're almost out :( I practically live on the stuff, it's so tasty!

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:43:40 PM
Yes you are alone in that.

No she's not.

The USA's obesssion with Peanut butter is truly weird.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:44:59 PM
Though I have to be honest.. just reading this thread is making me want peanut butter. (I can't type that without typoing it as peabutt everytime |I)

Cat X
Feb 16th, 2009, 09:57:48 PM
Vegemite and cheese toasted sandwiches. Mmmmmm Perfect on a cold day

Park Kraken
Feb 16th, 2009, 11:49:40 PM
Peanut Butter and chocolate go awesome together for dessert. Like Reese peanut butter cups. A couple of nights ago I made a homemade fudge consisting of melted Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels, small marshmellows, and Peter Pan peanut butter, and it was rich, creamy, and oh so delicious. A little on the burnt side though, need to make it next time at a lower temp.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 17th, 2009, 06:23:17 AM
Peanut Butter and chocolate go awesome together for dessert. Like Reese peanut butter cups. A couple of nights ago I made a homemade fudge consisting of melted Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels, small marshmellows, and Peter Pan peanut butter, and it was rich, creamy, and oh so delicious. A little on the burnt side though, need to make it next time at a lower temp.

My insulin levels exploded just reading this post. EWWWWWWWWWWW

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 17th, 2009, 06:36:13 AM
Vegemite and cheese toasted sandwiches. Mmmmmm Perfect on a cold day

Vegemite? :x no no no nooo

Wyl Staedtler
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:37:45 PM
Peanut butter is gross unless it's the natural, organic stuff without the tons and tons and tons of sugar that's in most brands, IMHO.

But almond butter is the bestest of all. :D

Morgan Evanar
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:40:36 PM
Vegemite is pretty gross.

Sanis Prent
Feb 18th, 2009, 08:47:01 PM

What is weird about it? Peanuts have always been a major part of American farm produce, so it's not a shock that peanut butter finds a place in a lot of our culinary traditions. I would expect a vegemite fanboy to appreciate that much at least.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 18th, 2009, 08:48:18 PM
We have George Washington Carver to thank for it. I don't really eat a lot of peanut butter, but I don't hate it - I love me some peanut butter cookies, or a peanut butter and honey sandwich. :yum

Sanis Prent
Feb 18th, 2009, 09:03:20 PM
I don't really eat that much peanut butter myself, mainly because I don't do desserts and I think PB&J is as close to peasant food as American stuff gets.

Actually now that I think about it, exploring peanut butter on a culinary basis might actually be a freakin awesome idea.

Wyl Staedtler
Feb 18th, 2009, 09:31:48 PM
It's really good in a stir fry. ;)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 18th, 2009, 09:57:24 PM
I was not aware of this o_O

Peanut butter cookies are about the only cookies I'll eat. But peanut butter and honey sandwiches are DIVINE.

Sanis Prent
Feb 18th, 2009, 11:40:21 PM
It's really good in a stir fry. ;)

Yeah, Thai folk take advantage of it in savory effect. I'm hoping to see what might happen if I take that ball and run with it. If you had some really thick & unsweetened stuff, think about maybe replacing tahini in hommous with peanut butter. Bet that would be an interesting flavor.

What about peanut butter added to a roux to augment classical french flavor profiles?

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 19th, 2009, 01:24:23 AM

What is weird about it? Peanuts have always been a major part of American farm produce, so it's not a shock that peanut butter finds a place in a lot of our culinary traditions. I would expect a vegemite fanboy to appreciate that much at least.

I understand Vegemite is axle grease and only good in VEEEEERRRRYYYY small amounts only. Even as an Aussie, there's limits an obsession with weird food can be taken.

Now Sate on the other hand.... YUMMY! I cook a completely evil one of those guarentteed to give the ring of fire the next day!

Sorsha Kasajian
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:08:25 PM
The Golden Rule - Flavor trumps Heat, Marcus. If you can't enjoy the flavors, it's pointless.

Anyone disagree?

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:09:06 PM
I am sorry to say that I have been eating peanut butter lately. I had it with my pancakes yesterday.

I thought of you guys, having to do without it, whilst I was eating. And I loved it.