PDA

View Full Version : Are We Not Alone?

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:19:40 AM
Cloud City was something different to me. I had kept myself almost sequestered from the Galaxy at large for some time now; there was no reason for me to 'mingle' with its denizens any more than necessary. I was not afraid, but there was something to be said about keeping unkind eyes from prying open secrets they should not.

I felt something akin to pity for those who passed by me, lost in their own little worlds, worried about their own little things. Not that I was much different, but then again I was different, wasn't I? It was from that difference my pity for them stemmed. Their heritage wasn't mine, and while bit saddening, it was something that I took pride in.

The Cloud 9 Bar & Grill was easier to find than I had thought it would be. I had planned this out, of course, but there were always those little things that got in the way. It kept things interesting, but was frustrating as well.

Entering Cloud 9 slowly so as to soak the atmosphere in, I found myself a seat in a booth that overlooked the entrance. I waited, while her name continued to run through my head.

Ravenwing.

I shouldn't have been surprised that there were some remaining. I knew I wasn't the last (that would have been quite depressing and overly dramatic for me anyway; Sarin von Metzger, the Last Lupine? Hah!), but I still wasn't expecting to see one of the Loveloxx Houses' names so blaringly written on something that the whole Galaxy could see. My curiosity couldn't have been reined in, even if I had desired to do so.

So here I sat, waiting for her to show up to discuss a transportation contract of sorts.

Here I sat, waiting to finally see someone like me.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:42:04 AM
Finally. A reason to get away from Cloud City. Arya walked into Cloud 9, the collar of her black nerfhide jacket up around her neck, and looking for someone who wanted a ride.

The Jedi in hiding were nice, but they were boring, and it was hard to cut loose when you knew that someone's safety depended on blending in. She ran her hand through her short black hair and scanned the evening crowd. Well, her safety depended on blending in, too. She was on the Empire's Most Wanted list, but no bounty hunters had come calling.

Yet.

So, every potential job contract was also a potential trap.

But then, that wasn't much different from business as usual. She walked up to the bar, ordered a drink, and turned around. Meet at Cloud 9, and a time... but who was it? Arya eyed a nearby man appreciatively, though his features were a bit too fine, and his hair a little too long.

But, very nice.

Wait a second. He continued to stare at her, and she sipped at her ale, frowning at him. "Hey, take a picture, it'll last longer."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:51:24 AM
It was her.

From the moment I had seen the name - Arya Ravenwing - I had exhaustively researched and looked for the slightest bit of information. There wasn't much, but the name was distinctive enough that I could be sure. Thankfully, there were holos of her along with her bounty.

I stared, trying to see if there was some way I could distinguish her from amongst the others that were here; but sadly, though I was gifted by my heritage, I wasn't so gifted as to be able to gain a smell or a slight look about her that would set her apart.

Her eyes ran over me, and then departed, and then came back. I didn't break my own look. It might have been impolite, but I couldn't restrain myself. She frowned at my impertinence, and spoke.

"Hey, take a picture, it'll last longer."

"You are Arya Ravenwing," I replied. I was sure it was her, thus I stated it instead of asked. But even though I was impolite in staring, I kept to politesse and began the introductions.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:13:25 AM
She raised an eyebrow at his statement, sipped her ale again, and then nodded. "Yeah." Her eyes narrowed a little, but he didn't look like a bounty hunter.

But then, a good bounty hunter wouldn't look like one, would he? "You my contact? Transport?"

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:23:02 AM
"Why yes," I said with a grin. "I am going, as people say, 'anywhere but here'."

I motioned to the seat in front of me. "Please, sit down. Even if this is business, I would not think it very polite if you stood while I sat during our conversation."

I took a small gulp of my own drink, feeling the carbonated liquid tickle my nose. "My name is Sarin von Metzger. I am pleased to meet you, Arya Ravenwing."

I studied her face for recognition, for anything. I longed for there to be some Loveloxx out there beside myself. While I myself was not lonely, persay, I was tired of being alone since Mother and Father had died.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:33:34 AM
His mannerisms were very 'proper,' and Arya set her glass on the table across from him, slouching back in the chair he'd offered. "Charmed, I'm sure." She smiled.

"When you say anywhere, do you really mean anywhere?" The last person she'd picked up had had a destination in mind, but the good Reverend had never quite made it to the place he'd been aiming for. She wondered what he'd gotten up to since she'd dropped him off near the Core.

Arya blinked, and then picked up her ale, drinking deeply. "'Cause I can take you everywhere. It'll just cost more the farther it is." The smuggler raised the glass to him, adding, "And I won't go near the Carshoulis Cluster."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:50:44 AM
My face grew a bit strained on the topic of the Carshoulis Cluster, but I managed to keep my grin. From what I could tell, she had not been schooled in decorum and politesse.

But there wasn't a flicker of recognition on her face, nor did any sign come from her movements that she had known of my name. I was mystified. Surely she knew...?

Of course she knew. But unlike me, she cannot simply be as she is. I had found her on a bounty list after all, and anything remotely like us would be an identifying factor. Of course she knew; she was merely 'laying low'. Perhaps once we were alone, she would drop her guard, and we could go about learning of each other.

"Oh my no," I replied not a second after she finished speaking. I shook my head to reinforce my agreement on not going near Carshoulis. "I wouldn't ask you to go near there."

I paused. "I have no real destination in mind," I finally said, "and I understand that it will be expensive, of course, but I can pay you all you require. I felt that it was time for me to go, and your name jumped out at me, so to speak, when I was looking for people to contact about doing so in a quiet manner."

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 4th, 2009, 03:02:50 AM
Her left eye twitched a little when he said your name jumped out at me. What did that mean?

"Uh, okay. Well I'm looking to leave Bespin soon anyway. A little too crowded for comfort, if you know what I mean." She finished off the drink, setting it down gently. Arya sat up, looking at him closely. "So, Sarin, when did you want to leave?"

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 4th, 2009, 06:18:09 AM
"I very much understand you. I wasn't raised in such a crowded place either," I replied. Then I gestured in a way that was meant to indicate my ambivalence to the timing. It wasn't a shrug, but only extending my fingers and a slight movement of my hands while I bowed my head slightly, passing the decision to her.

'Whenever you wish to set off shall be fine with me, Miss Ravenwing," I said, slightly accentuating her name. "I simply wish to leave. I have no schedule to keep."

I sighed. "Now to more important things, I believe," were my next words. "Would you like to name a down payment now, or shall we wait until I am at the landing pad? I have heard some wish this as a sort of good faith payment. It seems sensible enough, I suppose, though sadly lacking in trust."

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 4th, 2009, 04:35:10 PM
I have heard? This guy was a piece of work. But, it didn't hurt to be polite. Usually.

"Well, sadly lacking in trust or not, I'll need a deposit so I can buy fuel and get the ship prepped to go." She looked at him steadily, not smelling any deceit on him. "About two hundred would cover it." The way he was staring back at her was almost mesmerizing.

"Meet me at landing pad 49F in about three hours? I'll need to pick up some foodstuffs and close out my hotel bill."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 5th, 2009, 02:47:02 AM
I reached into my coat to draw out the requisite chits. She tensed, thus I drew them out slowly, so as to not spook her. She seemed to my nose to be always on edge. That was somewhat distressing and saddening to me. She should never be so afraid. Not of me.

I could smell her now. Her scent was a mix of unmistakeable technology and her profession: blasters, and smoke of all kinds lingering, almost like a nearly non-existant aftertaste. There was the familiar scent of lupine in there, as well. It was stronger than I had thought it would have been.

"Two hundred," I replied, placing them gently on the tabletop, counting them silently as they clicked on contact with the surface. My eyes then went back to her face, searching for a sign of recognition. I saw none. "I shall meet you at landing pad 49F in three hours."

I stood, and smiled again, unable to hold back all of my joy at finding her. Thankfully I was able to dim some of the smile's instensity, and it conveyed what I hoped was pleasure at having met her and having conducted this business with her. This trip wasn't the false start that my nightmares and misgivings would have had me believe. I bowed slightly.

"Until then, Miss Ravenwing," I said, and walked backward for a few steps before spinning around lightly and making my way out the door, my smile finally breaking free. Now I had to retrieve my few belongings, and buy a few other necessities. Then I would make my way to landing pad 49F, and reestablish a connection between houses that should have never been lost.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 5th, 2009, 05:00:20 PM
What. A. Weirdo. Arya fingered the credit chits before pocketing them. Nah, Sarin von Metzger probably wasn't a weirdo, but he was... unusual. He seemed fairly intense, though she couldn't figure what sort of ulterior motive he might have.

Well, besides possibly trying to collect the bounty on her. But she needed the money to get away from Bespin, so she had to take the chance.

Arya slid her chair away from the table, dropped enough credits to cover her drink, and walked towards the door. She'd have to hurry if she was going to get everything ready to go in time.

"Come on," she said, tugging on the little girl's hand as they walked towards the landing pads. Arya had made a few trips already, leaving Tak for last after getting their belongings and food stowed aboard the Wing of the Raven. Tak had been reluctant to leave her new friend, Wyl, but Arya promised her she'd be able to write him letters as often as she liked.

Outside 49F she fumbled for her temporary keycard that had been given her by the transit authority. "Remember, Tak, with our passenger we have to be careful not to Change around him. At least, until I can explain to him what's going on."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 5th, 2009, 06:22:07 PM
She was already missing Zem, and Wyl too. At least Arya had said that she could write them letters though.

But, ever since her first Change, and Arya being there, the little Lupine had been hard-pressed to stop thinking of her. And even though she was a Loveloxx Lupine, the moment the two had shared was one that would never be forgotten. Dama would be upset, since she'd always said that it was a Mother's right to be with her child when the first Change happened, but Dama wasn't here. Arya had been. And it was Arya who had been able to share the experience.

When the proposal for Teagan to travel with the Loveloxx Lupine had been made, she'd been eager. All those adult reasons like being safe on the run (whatever that was all about) meant nothing to her.

With one hand in Arya's, Tak sent curious glances all about.

"Don't worry, I'll be careful and stuff. I promise."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 6th, 2009, 06:33:38 AM
I shifted my bag on my shoulder to ease the slight discomfort that had been growing for the past twenty minutes. It had taken me only about an hour and a half to get my belongings and buy other various small necessities, so I had decided to take my time while actually getting to landing pad 49F.

Thankfully, despite being a bit early, I heard a familiar voice as I came upon the pad, though I could not understand the exact words she said. There was also a curiously unfamiliar voice. A child's?

Indeed, Ravenwing was standing there, holding a young girl's hand. In all that I had managed to find, as little as that was, there had been no mention of a daughter. As far as I have been able to understand, having a child should have been impossible.

It was the girl who saw me first, looking around as she was. I grinned in greeting as I strode forward, though I felt I was still a bit too far to politely call out.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 6th, 2009, 07:23:28 PM
The doors opened, and Tak tugged on her hand. Arya looked around, saw Sarin, and waved at him, gesturing towards the landing pad. Wind whipped inside the hallway from outside, but the smuggler stayed put until her passenger had caught up to them.

"Ready to go?" she asked, and then looked down at Tak. "This is my niece, Teagan."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 6th, 2009, 07:36:35 PM
She smelled him before she saw him, and Tak's eyes went wide as saucer plates at the sight of him. Another Lupine??! And he was a Loveloxx, just like Arya; she could tell by the scent alone. It was a so similar to Arya's, except for a few subtle differences.

But, unlike Arya, Tak wasn't sure about this newcomer, and she shifted to stand a little behind the smuggler woman. Her breathing came out in rapid breaths, and her heart raced. She clutched Arya's hand a little tighter, refusing to let go.

"He's a Loveloxx," she whispered almost frantically while moving around to Arya's other side with agitated steps.

Why couldn't Dama be here right now?!

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:05:37 PM
She was a curious thing, the child. By curious, I mean not that she exhibited a curious attitude, but that she herself was an object of curiosity. She seemed to be whispering something to Ravenwing. Perhaps I frightened her?

"Yes, I am ready to leave," I replied, shifting the bag on my shoulder once more. Ravenwing's 'niece', Teagan, seemed skittish. She was cute, and brought back a nostalgic memory of me asking Father and Mother for a sibling when I was child and longed to be a role model to some younger more impressionable being. Ah, how times change...

"Hello Teagan," I said nodding my head to her, and bending forward to both bring my face to her level and see her more closely. "My name is Sarin. I am pleased to meet you."

Did Teagan know of Ravenwing's heritage? Was Teagan a part of us? I didn't dismiss the second question, as unlikely as it was. The girl had a familiar, yet exotic scent about her, one that set me slightly on edge. If she was Lupine, then that was a very curious thing indeed. Another scent which I remembered from the Bar reached me, and I tentatively labelled this one 'Arya Ravenwing'.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:20:59 PM
Arya smiled brightly, squeezed Tak's hand and then pressed the girl's face into her side. "Well, lets get going, shall we?" Tak mumbled something into Arya's shirt, and the smuggler was walking them both towards the Chevette77 that was sitting in the cool evening air on the landing pad.

"This is Wing of the Raven, my ship," she said, walking quickly. Whatever the kid thought she smelled, Arya needed the money, and they needed to get away from Bespin and away from the Jedi. "Just a second..." She put down Tak's bag and keyed her password into the Raven's access panel.

The ramp creaked, and then began lowering.

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:31:29 PM
She was mindful to stay as close to Arya as she possibly could, sending furtive glances to Sarin the whole time.

The boarding ramp was lowering way too slow for her tastes, and the little Lupine moved around Arya so that she was at the farthest point away from Sarin. He was interesting, but only because he was almost like her, and Dama had always said that there were no other Lupines left. But! There was Arya, and now this one. It was exciting and scary all at once.

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:48:43 PM
I cast my eyes over the ship, but said nothing as I waited for the ramp to fall. It had the look of a nondescript sort of ship, though my limited knowledge of starships in general left me mostly clueless.

Teagan definitely seemed to be wary of me; so I decided to play with the girl a bit. Every few moments I would send my eyes her way, trying to catch her as she sent her furtive glances. It was amusing how she would look away quickly when she was caught. I made no attempt to hide my smile at the little game.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 7th, 2009, 12:13:44 AM
Arya walked up the ramp, pushing Tak in front of her. "Go to your room. Er, our room." She handed the kid her pack and watched as she scampered deeper into the ship she'd never been on board before. Hopefully she'd be able to figure out which cabin of the two was Arya's.

The smuggler turned to her passenger, who had walked up the ramp behind her. "So, Sarin, this is Wing of the Raven." She slapped the door controls and the ramp slowly began to retract and the hatch doors started closing. Arya smiled, "Want a tour? Isn't much to see," she talked as she walked, pointing to the cozy kitchenette/dining/living area off of the passage, "Galley here, cockpit up ahead, two cabins aft." She looked back at Sarin, "One's all yours for the duration. You can put your stuff in there. I've got to finish pre-flight."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 7th, 2009, 12:20:34 AM
It was easy to tell which room was Arya's; it smelled like Arya. Depositing her small carrypack on the foot of the bunk, the girl stood for a short time, wondering if her excitement at going with the Loveloxx Lupine had been such a good idea after all. The other Loveloxx, Sarin, had caught her staring more than once, but she'd always looked away as quickly as possible. Still though, she knew he'd been aware.

Yet, through all of her apprehension, the little girl couldn't help the curious nature within, and it wasn't long before she ventured out into the rest of the ship to explore.

It wasn't like Layla in the least.

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 7th, 2009, 01:38:39 AM
I looked about the ship as she showed me the general directions and areas. "Very nice," I replied. "It smells like hearth and home. Earth and loam."

I murmured the last bit lowly, as the familiar poem ran through my mind. When I had first left Aruza some years ago due to the Imperial programme to make its citizens violent and without any kindness or sympathy, my father had said it while we boarded the transports. At the time, I wondered why so few had left with us; only later with reflection did I realize that our near-human appearance, different from the Aruzans, granted our freedom from that world.

"One's all yours for the duration. You can put your stuff in there. I've got to finish pre-flight."

"Thank you," I said as she finished. "I shall do that." I watched her as she walked up towards the cockpit.

"Under these strange stones and foreign skies,
Surrounded by strange beasts' cries;
Caressed by foreign winds' sighs,
'Tis 'neath these things my body lies."

Father taught me that poem as we travelled to our new home. He'd told me it was written in sadness after the Great Migration. It seemed particularly suited to both moments in my opinion. I murmured it quietly under my breath while I wended my way to the bunk I had been given. It was small, I was hit by the novelty of these surroundings, and made sure to etch the smell into my nose. And then, I was off to explore the ship.

"In my youth I left my home,
Familiar hearth and familiar loam,
To wander the stars and through them roam."

The cargo bay was the first place I entered. Very spacious, and it reminded me of the darkened rooms of home, with several pieces of Lupine and von Metzger history upon their walls and adorning a number of tables.

"Yet e'er I yearned for the lands of my birth,
Familiar skies and familiar earth,
Those common things of untold worth,
And though I wandered, I felt their dearth."

And then I was making my way to the galley, to see where one of our last scions of noble houses ate their daily meals.

"Where are the skies that I knew so well?
My homeland's scent which makes my heart swell?
To these I bid farewell, farewell!

To hearth and home,
To earth and loam,
For among the stars I go."

I sat in a seat and ran my hand over the tabletop, my fingers finding the slight and small scarring that gave it character. I then looked up to the ceiling of the galley, and folded my hands in my lap. I knew there was a silly grin on my face, but I couldn't really help myself. I was no longer alone in the universe.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 7th, 2009, 05:34:28 PM
She'd run most of the pre-flight checks before she'd gone to pick up Tak, so it was just a matter of going through the final steps and then contacting Cloud City traffic control to finalize her clearance to lift off. Arya started the repulsors and the ship rumbled softly, the tone of the engines indicating that no matter what she looked like, Raven's internal systems were well taken care of.

She pressed the intercomm controls. "We're cleared for take off, so we're going to go. Might want to find a place to sit down, if you haven't." Arya flicked the 'comm off, and gently pulled on the steering yoke, coaxing her ship into the sky. After about ten minutes they were out of Bespin's gravity well and she had a course laid in for Chandrila.

"Strap in," she said into the intercomm, and then she hit the hyperdrive controls. After she was satisfied that the jump had gone off without a hitch, Arya unfastened her crash webbing and walked down the passage to the living area.

Sarin was sitting there, looking happy. Good. Happy customers were good. Arya walked to a cupboard and pulled out some recplast tumblers. "Drink?" She raised an eyebrow and tucked the glasses under an arm while she retrieved a bottle of clear alcohol. Tak was nowhere to be seen, but considering how she'd reacted to Sarin the girl was probably hiding somewhere. Or exploring the nearly empty cargo hold.

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 7th, 2009, 05:49:56 PM
Her explorations yielded nothing of any particular interest, other than to assail her nose with the strong pungent Loveloxx odor that belonged to Arya. It made her want to Change - to want the both of them to Change, so that they could romp about and play once more. But, Arya had said not to with a passenger on board.

Didn't she know he was a Loveloxx too though? How could she not smell it?

Teagan approached the galley carefully, tip-toeing the whole way, and gingerly she peeked around the corner at the two grown-ups.

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 8th, 2009, 03:27:20 PM
I seemed to be smiling almost constantly now. Thankfully most of them weren't the ache-inducing full on smiles, but merely more understated ones that I felt comfortable sporting.

"Why yes, please," I rejoined while watching the clear liquid slosh around in the bottle. "I would like one very much."

But how would I start on the conversation of her heritage? Should I wait for her to bring it up, or should I? There was no clever segue presenting itself that would take me into the topic with polite smoothness. Alas, that.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:40:26 PM
What had Tak said? He's a love lost. Or something. Arya sat across from Sarin, pouring a double shot into each of the tumblers. "No ice, I'm afraid. Freezer's on the fritz."

She could smell the kid hiding out in the passage, but she didn't call her in. If Tak wanted to spy on them, she was welcome to. "We're headed to the Core. Chandrila. I hope that's okay?" She pushed one of the glasses towards him, and picked hers up, downing it.

She poured herself another drink.

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 8th, 2009, 07:49:49 PM
Working up the nerve to actually join Arya, Tak stepped the rest of the way into the galley. She was thirsty anyway, and since Arya had a drink, maybe she'd share it.

With purpose she closed the distance between them, and scrambling up, she sat next to her new caretaker. A look was sent to the bottle, then Arya's glass, as if to silently convey that she too wanted a drink.

Eyes turning then to Sarin, the little girl leaned back in her seat, brow scrunching up.

"You're a Loveloxx," she said bluntly.

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 8th, 2009, 10:15:10 PM
"That's quite alright," I murmured, and took half of what she'd given me in one gulp. It burned fiercely, but it settled my nerves quite nicely. I was pleased to hear my only reaction was a grunt and a puff of air from my nose.

The girl walked in, quietly, and sat next to Ravenwing. She seemed to want something in particular to drink; I found that somewhat amusing. Before I could even chuckle, Teagan looked at me with a serious expression and said something I hadn't at all been prepared for. At least, not from her.

"I am," I answered giving the girl a searching look, "but not only that. I'm also quite curious as to how you know this. I'd find it almost impossible--"

I paused to down the rest of my drink, and looked at both Ravenwing and young Teagan, allowing either to answer, though I expected Ravenwing to do so. "--Unless, of course, you are of us yourself. And that -- that only makes me more curious."

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 8th, 2009, 10:57:39 PM
Oh. Loveloxx. Arya could sort of remember Loklorien talking some mumbo-jumbo about Houses from the alcohol induced haze that she'd been in that night so many months ago.

She moved the bottle away from Tak. "Curiousity isn't something we encourage around here." Arya used her right hand under the table to ease her blaster in its holster. "We're keeping a low profile."

He was another like them? A shapeshifter? A... Lupine? And one like her, not like Lok or Teagan. The more she thought about it the more his smell seemed obvious. It had a distinct musky odor, similar to s'Ilancy and her daughter.

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 8th, 2009, 11:11:06 PM
Matter-of-factly, Teagan gave him a look. Dama had always said that the Loveloxx were below them, that they were beastly creatures who couldn't control themselves. That both Bloodlines were being punished because of the sins of the Loveloxx.

But... Arya wasn't really that bad, and Teagan had had loads of fun romping about with her when she'd Changed...

The girl shifted her gaze a little, scratching at her ear.

"I'm not like you. I'm a Losstarot."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 9th, 2009, 12:12:00 AM
Well. This certainly wasn't the way I expected the conversation to go.

"I'm not like you. I'm a Losstarot."

In an attempt to remain polite, I merely sniffed loudly and kept my expression passive as the girl proclaimed her heritage. Bah. While it was somewhat heartening that the species hadn't died out yet, why did there have to survive some of those? I certainly wouldn't do much more than that, as I still planned to spend quite a bit of time with the two to find out what I could of the happenings of the Houses.

"I see," was my reply to both Ravenwing and to Teagan. Seeing as there wasn't much else for me to say to the young girl besides that (I wasn't about to start arguing with a child), I turned my eyes back to Ravenwing.

"You shouldn't worry about me," I said, "Being a Lupine, your continued life and happiness are both very important to me."

I gave a slightly bitter smile, and tossed back the last drops of alcohol in the glass.

"There aren't many of us left."

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 9th, 2009, 02:15:51 AM
"I didn't think there were any left." Arya eyed her glass, and then poured more alcohol in liberally before pushing the bottle to her passenger. She kept her glass out of the reach of the kid, knocking back half of it without so much as a grimace.

"And I don't know how I feel about some stranger taking an interest in my 'continued life and happiness.'" Arya raised an eyebrow, her hand still near her blaster, but not on it anymore. "Of course, credits have a way of making me happy, so you may be on to something."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 9th, 2009, 02:42:32 AM
"I had never seen another, but I never once I believed I was the last," I replied, pouring myself more of the alcohol.

"To credits, and continued happiness," I grinned, raised my glass in toast and downed it. It burned down my esophagus, filling me with non-existant warmth.

"I knew your name the second I saw it," I continued, mostly to keep conversation going. "I know the names of all the houses. Nearly all are dead, I believe. But I saw your name, and I needed to at the very least see you. I was curious about the only other of my kind I had ever heard of."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 9th, 2009, 04:58:47 PM
She still wasn't so sure about this new Lupine; he wasn't attacking or being overly mean, and while she was sure to remain aloof, the girl still remembered her manners at least. As it was, she really didn't know what to say.

Arya still hadn't gotten her a drink, and ever so slowly the little Lupine began to encroach upon the other's space. Squeezing close so that she could as covertly as possible draw nearer to Arya's drink, Teagan was - at this point - very nearly in her caretaker's lap, and steadily moving onwards.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 9th, 2009, 05:20:22 PM
Arya picked up her glass, looked at it and then at Tak. "Here, have a sip." She handed it to the girl.

"To be honest, I don't know anything about Houses or... anything like that." She shrugged, "My mother was a raving lunatic, or at least she was when she died. I didn't..."

Arya hesitated. She didn't want to give away too much, or let Sarin know that Imperial Intelligence was trying to get their hands on more of their kind. Although, he probably deserved to know.

"Smell can be faked," she said suddenly, her natural suspicion rearing its head. "Why don't you Change and prove it?"

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 11th, 2009, 11:19:26 PM
I was speechless. Change?

"Did not your families also lose the ability to Change?" I asked, my eyes sharpening on the both of them. I furrowed my brow as I considered the implications of Arya's order, for it was nothing less than one.

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:34:23 PM
Taking the glass, Teagan gave it a good sniff, and with a surprised gasp the little Lupine pushed it back. It smelled horrid; pungent and gross. A lot like the stuff Sanis drank, in fact.

With a defeated sigh, she leaned on the table and wrapped her arms together, rocking back and forth slightly.

She decided to answer Sarin with a sing-songy lilt to her voice.

"Nooooo. We can Change just fine."

A wide grin as she looked sideways to Arya.

"In fact, I Changed for the very first time a few days ago. It was... well it hurt lots, but it was still great."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 13th, 2009, 12:53:08 AM
There wasn't anything I could think to say. I'm sure I looked a fool, with my mouth open say something, anything, but I just sat there unable to speak. Change? They can Change?

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 13th, 2009, 01:36:42 AM
Arya poked Tak in the side, her scent radiating caution to the young pup. "Your family lost the ability?"

Now she was wishing that she'd listened better when s'Ilancy had been nattering on and on about stuff that she didn't care about. Well, she still didn't really care about it. But with another here...

"And you are... Loveloxx? Like me?"

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 13th, 2009, 10:49:37 PM
Even despite the small jab Arya had given her, Tak rolled her eyes. But only a little.

"Of course he's a Loveloxx."

Still leaning partially over the table, the little Lupine gave a know-it-all grin before speaking to him in Bast'yr.

<"I bet you can even understand me, can't you.">

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 15th, 2009, 01:12:59 AM
I eyed the girl a bit warily. She could change, was a Losstarot, and could speak Bast'yr? Despite her odd, childish accent, I understood clearly what she was saying. Her parents were really what I was wondering about.

<"That I can, young one,"> I replied. My eyes went back to Arya. "And I am a Loveloxx, like you. That is the reason I sought you out, you see. We are family, though distant our bloodlines have grown."

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:12:35 PM
"Stop it, Tak," Arya snapped, irritated. "No talking in a language I can't understand or you'll go to your room. Er, our room.

"And you," she pointed at Sarin, "Don't encourage her. She can be pesky." The smuggler poured herself another drink. "I thought there were no more Lupines. That's what I was told... by my mother."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Feb 19th, 2009, 09:18:05 PM
Tak gave a conspiratorial grin to Arya, but remained mindful to speak Basic.

"That's what Dama said too, but she was wrong, wasn't she?"

Suddenly, the little girl looked to Sarin, oddly interested in him now, more-so because of the thought of him knowing their language.

"What House are you? I never learned the Loveloxx Houses very well, but I did memorize the Losstarot Houses."

A pout.

"Dama hasn't been able to give me my Brand yet though."

Sarin von Metzger
Feb 25th, 2009, 04:19:40 PM
I continued to keep a careful eye on the little girl. It did make sense for the age-old hostilities to have dimmed between Loveloxx and Losstarot during this age of near-extinction.

"My name is Sarin von Metzger, little one," I replied, lowering my 'hackles', as it were. "I am perhaps of the last of the scions of the Greater Houses of Loveloxx."

I grinned and with silent request to Ravenwing, poured myself another small bit of the alcohol. This would be the last for the night for me, as I didn't like nor dislike fermented and distilled drinks, save for many types of wine.

I smiled lightly. "I would not think that you would have had to study the Houses of Loveloxx. The greatest strifes and grudges are always borne among siblings."

I tipped my head back and swilled the drink. It no longer burned as it went down, and I felt a marginal surge of satisfaction at the thought.

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 6th, 2009, 06:49:55 PM
Arya didn't like their guest getting too familiar with the kid in her care. "Greater House, blah blah. If you can't change, what proof do you have then?

"And why can't you change?" She glowered, "I don't exactly... know... anything..." Tak giggled, and Arya shot her a look. "Anything about this Lupine nonsense. Let alone Houses and Loveloxx, et cetera."

Sarin von Metzger
Apr 10th, 2009, 12:37:38 AM
I blinked, dredging through the myriad little memories that flitted through my mind.

"Our forebear, Enda von Metzger. Many generations of us have passed since then. Into shadow and memory." Mother gave Father a small displeased look at his waxing poetic and despondent...

..."A curse, it is said," Mother murmured as she smoothed my blankets. I was seven years of age. "As retribution for allowing the Losstarot Houses to experiment with their heritage. But they're likely all gone now, so don't think too much on it."...

..."Information on Arya Ravenwing wanted..."...

..."...Ravenwing, a lower House." Mother smiled in pride as I finished reciting all the Loveloxx Houses from memory. She reached forward to touch my face, as she had been doing more often, but my childishly masculine sensibilities would have none of that, and I ducked the outstretched hand petulantly. She merely smiled...

"I think," I said, bringing myself out of the memories, "I think it had something to do with recessive genes and a dwindling gene pool. Our reticence in mingling with outsiders emphasised that part of us that was related to them. Or something like that."

I grinned a bit. "That was Father's supposition; Mother always said it was a curse passed down to us for the errors of our ancestors."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:25:46 PM
With a loud sniff to voice her presence, Tak sat back in her seat to fix her stare first at Arya, then at Sarin, and in her best know-it-all voice, she offered her own thoughts on the matter of her new caretaker's question.

"Maybe it's because you're a Loveloxx, and not, you know, Losstarot."

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 30th, 2009, 05:01:20 PM
Arya looked down at the little girl, frowning. "I'm a Loveloxx. Stop being so racist. Its not attractive."

She sighed. "My mother had a journal that she kept before she died. It was full of... well... nonsense really. I think she wrote about all the Houses and things like that, but it didn't make any sense to me as a child. ImpIntel has it now."

Arya sat back, arms crossed in front of her. "But you still have offered no proof of what you say." Even as she said it she knew Sarin was telling the truth - his scent did not lie, and it was telling her he was like her. Even Tak had sensed it, way before Arya had.

Sarin von Metzger
Jun 6th, 2009, 09:00:20 PM
I sat up in alarm. "Did you say Imperial Intelligence has concrete proof of Lupine existence?" I asked. Sheltered I may be, I will not lie about something so easily discovered, but even in such solitude as my own one could not escape the reality of the Empire. I could smell the truth of her statement, and could not see any tell-tale tensing of a falsehood, or even a misleading statement. One learns much of falsehood from parents who draw breath only because of them.

"That is... unfortunate," I said tensely, looking down at my hands. "That would have been a font of information for the both of us, and now... It would not be so misguided to believe that such a thing would peak the interests of some in the Empire."

Teagan s'Ilancy
Jun 7th, 2009, 11:40:43 AM
This was getting boring. Booorrriiinnnggg. All Arya and Sarin were doing was talking about the Empire, and she'd learned early on from hearing Dama and Dad talk about it, that there was never anything interesting to hear about the Empire.

"Can't you guys talk about something else? Dama and Dad always talk about the Empire, and it's always boring."

Leaning her arms on the tabletop, Tak let her chin fall into them as she gave a disgruntled look to no one in particular.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 7th, 2009, 06:59:53 PM
Arya ignored Tak for the moment. "Unfortunate? Personally I found it a bit more unfortunate that they had me prisoner for weeks and are now raising the bounty on my head every month I'm free." She gritted her teeth. "Sorry, should probably have told you that before you came on board."

She slid out of the booth, pushing the kid out in front of her. "I have a headache. Lupine or not, you're my passenger and I'll see you safely to port."

Sarin von Metzger
Jun 7th, 2009, 07:56:44 PM
I took a deep breath to calm myself. The Empire, having scared everyone I have met so far, was something I never wished to meet.

"I am unable to comprehend what you must have gone through, having not gone through it myself. But I shall give you whatever aid I can to make sure that you'll never be caught by them again. I may not be able to Change, but there are other benefits to our heritage than transformation."

I stood. "But I think it is time I rest a bit, and digest what I've learned. If you'd please excuse me."