PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Blood in Ancient Veins

Mr. Glasswater
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:12:24 PM
Just as Fyrian had ridden North without looking back, so too had Glasswater headed West. He fled without a second thought, knowing that it was his life if the Necian's recaptured him. But, that had been one of the more prevailing reasons for Ariadne's wish for them to split up. Surely the soldiers they had been with wouldn't divide themselves!

He rode fast and hard, intent on reaching Ha'lainn Inniu.

If the magic in the Bowl Reef was truly skewed as the Mer elders had said, then it was necessary for the Fian to intervene. They were the oldest, the most ancient of all the races.

But, his task extended beyond simply requesting their help. Weeta's condition was as such that she needed the Fian magics. But, she needed the Necian mages as well. With the two, there would be hope for the poor Mer girl.

He prayed to Denetion Medivantis. He prays for mercy. For the life of Weeta. For the life of his captain. For them all.

Glasswater prayed for Asga.

Cneidon Mako
Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:33:58 PM
One path diverged into two.

It soon became obvious to Imperator Mako that he had a choice to make. Follow Glasswater, or follow Fyrian. The choice had to be made in an instant.

He chose Glasswater.

As the dead of night melted into the early rays of dawn, his men rode hard, leaving their camp provisions behind in exchange for speed. They pushed down a trail that led, supposedly, to a lost city of the Fian.

He sent a rider back to Peer, with news that he was pursuing the renegade pirates into the interior. He made no mention of Ariadne, or her betrayal. He had a feeling exactly where she was headed.

Mr. Glasswater
Feb 21st, 2009, 03:49:36 PM
Through forests rich with foliage he rode, pressing his mount to greater speeds. The animal gave a snort and obeyed, legs eating up the distance hungrily.

More than once he thought he heard the sounds of pursuit, but Glasswater was determined. He would reach Ha'lainn Inniu untouched. He had to. The Fian would grant him some modicum of sanctuary he hoped, and further more, with the knowledge of the twisted magics plaguing the waters around Asga they would send one of their own to Necia with him.

Forest gave way to a stretch of open land, and stealing a glance over his shoulder as he broke through the treeline, Glasswater watched for any sign of his Necian pursuers.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 15th, 2009, 10:25:34 AM
"The horses ride raggedly."

Mako frowned at the state of his pursuit. The horses were indeed exhausted. If they persisted, they would lose ground, or their horses would fall from the effort.

"Look at the way the trees grow in that direction. I believe we shall find a stream, hurry!"

The Necian pursuers quickly diverted from the path to reach the thick cluster of trees in the distance.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 15th, 2009, 11:13:14 AM
His mount covered in a sheen of sweat, Glasswater finally allowed the animal to slow to a walk. With the slower pace, he dismounted to stride alongside, he at least maintained a clipped gait.

He had to be near the Fian city now; or at least by his own calculations he was. There was no true way to know.

He found himself once more in the forest, and kept a sharp ear ready for any signs of his pursuers.

So close to his destination, it would not do to be taken by Necians.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 16th, 2009, 08:36:41 PM
The horses were soon put to graze and drink. It was a momentary stop. Even still, Mako chafed at the delay. He paced back and forth, eventually selecting one of his soldiers.

"You, come with me. I won't waste any more time. Let's scout ahead on foot."

The soldier obeyed, and the Imperator surged on, pausing only to take of his waterskin and a dried biscuit.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 16th, 2009, 09:52:23 PM
He trudged onward, still walking beside his horse. The forest was dense, but the sounds of wildlife thankfully not too overpowering. Coping on land was a skill one had to learn when your entire life is spent at sea, but Glasswater had been away from the waters for long enough that he was able to manage well enough.

Each minute that passed seemed to be an eternity, as he expected the thundering of Necian horses to overtake him, yet with each glance over his shoulder he was further convinced that they were perhaps not so close behind as he'd thought.

It was the sound of a brook - to the left of him - that caught his attention, and the Glaucan paused. His mount had also heard the sounds of running water, and with a nudge the chestnut mare made the decision for them both.

The stream itself was small, but it was full enough as both drank deeply.

Glasswater was ever mindful however, and instead of dipping his head to drink, he cupped handfuls of the cool liquid, bringing it to his lips as he knelt carefully by the water's edge. A wet hand was passed over his gills to moisten the delicate flesh, each slit opening and closing at the sensation.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 16th, 2009, 10:01:27 PM
Mako and his scout followed the contours of the small stream as it meandered through rolling hills. They ascended a particularly tall hill that afforded command over perhaps kilometer of land ahead. The Imperator squatted on his haunches, looking carefully over the landscape.

"Sir!"

The scout had picked up on the movement about as soon as he did. It was nearly too far to see, but nonetheless visible.

"My spyglass!"

The soldier produced a copper tube with a smooth crystal in one aperture. Mako took it, and eased it in front of one eye as he squinted the other.

"A horse."

If there was a rider, he couldn't see any. The Imperator eased the spyglass down, and considered his options. His own mount was some distance behind him.

"Return back and bring the horses."

He looked up at the soldier as he drank again from the skin.

"I will be much quieter to approach on foot. Perhaps our enemy is near, and we can achieve surprise."

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 16th, 2009, 10:29:38 PM
It took only a short time to quench his thirst, and rising to his feet, the Glaucan gave his mare a gentle pat to her muscled neck. She was still coated with sweat, and he was beginning to doubt whether she was ready to resume the frenzied pace he'd originally pushed her to. With the reigns in one hand, Glasswater began once more, following the creek as it cut through the forest.

After a few minutes he pulled himself up into the saddle, but refrained from urging the horse into anything but a brisk walk.

Through the sounds of rustling undergrowth and the chirps of birds, he was mindful to listen for anything not belonging to nature.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 16th, 2009, 10:34:06 PM
Easing down the hill's far side, Mako again moved toward the stream. This time, he reached the bank and stooped down, stretching his hand out to the water's surface, just barely breaking it. Calling forth his affinity powers from Denetion, he let the water itself become his ears, stretching his senses far beyond their normal reach. In such a manner, he could hear all the way to the horse, and perhaps the horse's master, if it had one.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:30:03 PM
Glasswater followed the stream for a short way, and presently turned his mount to begin across. It was a small brook, and so crossing was a simple task that went no further than a few nimble hops, and in little time the Glaucan was once more headed onwards.

He'd deviated from his previous path, hoping that by going through areas of the forest with little to no trail would buy him at least a short amount of time.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:07:59 PM
The sound of a voice urging the beast on, and then the tromping through water told Mako what he needed to hear. He withdrew his hand and jumped into the river itself. At his command, the water began to surge behind him, catching him as he swam into the shallow stream so that it propelled him along its course with good speed.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:23:05 PM
Continuing along the streambed, Glasswater heard the rushing of water before anything else. Twisting in his saddle, he looked behind him in the hopes of spying the source - it sounded forced, as if the water was being commanded to move and swell the banks.

Cautious, he pulled his horse to a stop, turning the mare around so that he partially faced whatever might be coming his way.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:29:02 PM
In the distance, Mako spotted him. The Glaucan had paused at the sound of the water, and was waiting for his approach. So much the better.

With a focused effort, the Imperator bade the stream to launch him over the bank, and he landed on his feet, a slight distance away from Glasswater.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:36:48 PM
Was there any need for him to be surprised at the site of the Necian Imperator? No; perhaps not. Instead there was a sense of concern at the fact that it was only the one, and not the group as a whole.

His horse pawed the ground, shifting to the side in nervousness - she could feel the emotion from her rider easily through the leather saddle, and despite Glasswater's stern expression, his mount gave away what lay beneath those hard-edged lines.

He said not a word, and stared at the Imperator for a short moment before allowing the horse's exertions for flight overcome. He didn't even need to put heel to side; the animal was already turning and digging into the ground, boosted by fear and surging forward into a fresh gallop.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:40:01 PM
The excess water dripped off his body, snaking its way to his hand, where it pooled into a sphere. The sphere then elongated, and then in a snap froze into a shaft of ice.

Now completely dry, Mako let his makeshift spear fly. He doubted he'd hit at this range, but he wanted his quarry to be under no illusions about what awaited him now.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:53:49 PM
The mare stumbled, and Glasswater swore as both horse and rider crashed to the soft ground, skidding to a stop. It was an unexpected turn of events, but as soon as his eyes fell upon the shaft of ice protruding from his mount's back - just behind the saddle - he knew that the Necian had abruptly put an end to this chase.

One leg pinned beneath the dying horse, Glasswater strained to release himself. With each second that passed he grew more frantic, and in a wild movement his hand scrabbled for the dagger on his belt.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:06:01 PM
Mako unsheathed his own short stabbing sword, feeling the end was at hand. He paced around the mare until he stood to the side of the Glaucan.

"I should have killed you when we first met, Pirate. I knew Ariadne would never be trustworthy."

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:22:16 PM
"She is more trustworthy than any one of your soldiers," Glasswater spat back.

Propped up with an arm, the Glaucan still tried to pry himself loose.

"Moreso that she seems to be taken with one of your own."

His leg finally free, he rose slowly to his feet, favoring his leg. Standing somewhat awkwardly, his eyes went from the Necian's face to his sword.

"... which is more than I can say for myself."

Cneidon Mako
Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:47:09 PM
Not quite ready to kill the man, Mako looked at the Glaucan as he favored weight onto one leg.

"This is ludicrous. How far inland of the continent are you? What did you expect would happen?"

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:58:22 PM
Glasswater gave a scowl, his jaw clenching as he shifted his stance.

"I only do as Ariadne asks; if she asks that I ride for Ha'lainn Inniu then that's what I will do."

In a frustrated outburst, he angrily sheathed his dagger before moving to grasp at the ties securing the saddlebags.

"I have fulfilled part of my obligations, if you and your men are following after me. That means that Ariadne is in Demos, and has already returned the Lantern.

"Use your senses and come with me - " he gave a wrench that freed the saddlebag.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:28:54 PM
"What awaits us in Ha'lainn Inniu in the first place?"

Mako scowled.

"More treachery conceived of Kariun's doing no doubt. Some foreign westerner magic to seal our doom? And you wish me to deliver you to it?"

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:35:45 PM
"Stop being an ingrate," Glasswater growled while slinging the saddlebags over one shoulder.

"There's no more treachery; Kariun is dead and given to the sea. Ariadne is not her father, and you would do well to remember that."

Looking past the Necian's shoulder, he gave a hrmph.

"She asked me to bring a Fian to Demos, and that is what I will do."

With little else to say, the Glaucan started forward with a limp and shoving past the Imperator.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:38:05 PM
"What of this Fian?"

Mako was weary of speaking on cryptic terms with sea pirates. He longed to deal with people who spoke plainly.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:55:17 PM
Temper boiling over, Glasswater gave a sharp look to the Necian, but made sure to continue limping onward. The Glaucan was loathe to be slowed down, and needless questions accomplished just that. Mako it seemed was content to stay put, and Glasswater used this stay of possible execution to put more distance between the two.

"The Affinities are becoming unstable, and the Fian are the only ones able to balance them."

Though uneven, his gait remained steady.

"Put away your sword, and instead of threatening death and destruction, help to restore something for once."

Cneidon Mako
Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:10:55 PM
Mako knew there was some truth to the Pirate's words, though he was still reluctant to trust the man.

"And how do you suggest that the Fian of the West will put things right? You've given me no reason to trust you, or have you forgotten?"

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:27:37 PM
Glasswater rounded on the Necian.

"I don't know how, just that they will."

The Glaucan pointed an accusing finger at Mako, his lips curling up into an angry snarl.

"Your trust is neither needed nor wanted, and don't think for a moment that I wouldn't send your soul to the Black God if it comes to that."

Cneidon Mako
Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:30:42 PM
Mako walked over to the slain horse, pulling the ice javelin free as he looked at the Glaucan.

"Perhaps I'll send you to him first, and ask the Fian of this myself."

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:42:27 PM
Deep laughter answered the Imperator, and Glasswater waved him away as if he was nothing but an annoying bug.

"I welcome you to try."

Cneidon Mako
Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:48:56 PM
"Don't suffer delusion. You're wounded and alone, and the nearest living souls are all my men. The last thing I should have to suffer is to try."

He leveled the tip of the spear at Glasswater.

"We'll travel to the Fian city. Your choices are to do so as my prisoner, or with your head on my javelin as the first thing to greet the forest dwellers."

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:05:42 PM
Still laughing, Glasswater drew himself up as straight as he was able. He retraced his steps to approach Mako, and pushing the ice spear to the side with a suddenly furious gesture, he stood toe to toe with the Necian, their faces inches apart.

"We travel as equals," was his hissed challenge.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:28:00 PM
"I am an Imperator of the Necian League."

Mako laughed.

"In what absurd place does a pirate's lapdog become my equal?"

His spear was pushed away, but his stabbing sword wasn't. He eased the thrusting point just below Glasswater's jawline.

"I wasn't making a suggestion."

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:37:45 PM
Lifting his chin to avoid the sword-point at his jaw's underside, the Glaucan glowered at Mako. He knew that at this juncture, the Imperator held the high ground over him. Infuriating as it was, it was a terrible fact. With each passing moment he found himself growing more infuriated. Yet, there was nothing to be done.

Instead, he settled for growling at his new captor.

"I'm no one's lapdog."

Cneidon Mako
Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:55:56 PM
Mako gestured back to the riverbank that led back toward the Necian position.

"Yet all I hear is barking."

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:03:06 PM
Indignant rage welled up inside him, overriding whatever common sense he still clung to. The Imperator's needling had been successful in sending the Glaucan over the edge. Normally unflinching and cool, Glasswater struck out, a vicious strike knocking the short sword to the side as he barreled into Mako.

The saddlebags he'd been holding fell to the ground as he grappled with the Necian.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:06:03 PM
Mako rolled backwards with the Glaucan, bringing his legs up as his momentum was thrown backwards, with the hopes of kicking Glasswater over his head with the aid of the pirate's own charge.

If he could grapple the pirate close enough to the stream, Glasswater would be finished.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 24th, 2009, 06:50:49 PM
Half expecting the move, Glasswater kept his grip firm, and the moment he landed on his back, the Glaucan twisted to his side. He wrenched on the Imperator's wrists as he did so, pulling at the man in the hopes of gaining the upper hand. It was a valiant effort to say the least.

With a growl, Glasswater brought an arm back and delivered a quick jab to Mako's jawline.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 24th, 2009, 07:54:06 PM
Stunned momentarily, Mako rolled his head forward so the follow-up glanced across his brow. He still had leverage, and easing himself up slightly, used it to drive a knee into the Glaucan's midsection as he reached for his dagger's scabbard. Steel flashed briefly as he brought the blade out into the open, then thrust straight down, intending to put it through Glasswater's belly.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:57:11 PM
The blow was a harsh one, and the Glaucan grunted at the impact. He had precious little time to do so however, as the Necian's blade came down. With both hands he gripped Mako's knife-arm. The downward motion coupled with his foe's higher vantage made reversing the weapon near to impossible, and so Glasswater pulled to the side. The blade, instead of burying itself in his gut, sunk hilt-deep into the soft earth by his side.

A swift elbow was delivered to Mako's sternum, and Glasswater surged upwards in the hopes of reversing their positions.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 25th, 2009, 07:50:20 PM
Mako rolled away, coughing. He jerked the blade free from the loam, and swiped at the Glaucan in a backhanded slash as he gathered distance to rise to his feet. Springing up, he coiled, then surged straight at the pirate, hopeful that perhaps he was a little slower to rise on account of the fall he'd taken on his horse.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 25th, 2009, 08:43:56 PM
Another grunt, and Glasswater deflected the backhanded strike. Scrambling back, he was slow to rise, a pained hiss escaping through clenched teeth at the injury he'd taken earlier. By the time he was on his knees, Mako was already on his feet and charging.

He rocked back as the Necian crashed into him, and with a startled exhalation he hit the ground once more. He felt a familiar sting of sharpened metal upon his skin as the blade opened a deep gash on his shoulder, but the Glaucan refused to allow his opponent the satisfaction of hearing him cry out.

Instead, a calloused hand wrapped around the Imperator's neck, thumb digging inwards just above the collarbone.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 25th, 2009, 09:03:18 PM
Mako lost his breath and his momentum, straining against the grip at his neck. He pushed forward, then slapped upward with a swipe of his forearm to dislodge the choke hold, and hopefully push the Glaucan further toward the bank of the stream.

His blade not forgotten, he inverted his grasp on it and swept upwards with it, trying to keep Glasswater on his guard at all times.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 28th, 2009, 03:27:54 PM
He knew that there was precious little time before the rest of Mako's men arrived, and Glasswater rooted himself solidly. Arching backward at the Imperator's strike, he released his hold and stumbled back a few steps , eyes searching for any opening.

His chance came, and the Glaucan rushed forward to grip the neckline of the cuirass, and with a violent jerk, and he pulled Mako to the side with sheer brute force.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 28th, 2009, 10:08:38 PM
Mako had his own momentum used against him, and was hurled with force to the ground, losing his blade as he fell. He came up quickly, but the Glaucan was now between himself and his weapon. He glanced between it and Glasswater, and made a quick decision.

He dashed quickly toward the stream.

Mr. Glasswater
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:20:59 PM
Glasswater disregarded the fallen sword, and moved as quickly as his uneven gait would allow. If Mako made it to the brook, then there was no doubt he'd call upon his own natural affinity powers. He ground his teeth, fighting the pain in his leg and driving onward.

With a burst of speed, the Glaucan hurled himself at the Imperator, and the two crashed to the ground in the creek shallows. Feeling the water on his skin, Glasswater grimaced at the knowledge that his adversary would call upon Denetion. He kicked away from the Necian, rolling to the side and up to his feet, backing away with a cautious limp and tense muscles.

Cneidon Mako
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:52:08 PM
"You're finished now!"

Mako snarled as he rose to his feet. Water from the stream snaked up his leg and around his midsection in a liquid tendril, which extended around an arm to form a whip-like shape. He wound back and hurled the watery weapon at the Glaucan, missing him slightly, but hitting a sapling adjacent to him. The tip of the whip, set into a sharp talon of ice, shattered, but not before cutting the tree in half.

G'lyana
Apr 4th, 2009, 09:29:47 AM
The gentle stream bubbled around the Imperator's boots as unseen magic took hold of the innocent algae underneath. It stretched and contorted unnaturally around the unexpected Necian. The algae grew thicker and stronger, silently snaking its way up his legs until it bared down against his waist. The sudden anchoring of his weight caught him off balance.

Glasswalker found reprieve from Mako's attack but nature's wraith did not distinguish innocence from guilt in response to the attack upon its sapling cousin. Tendrils of wet algae bound the Glaucan's arms and legs, bringing him slamming back into the frigid water as Mako's watery whip weapon instantly lost its form and splashed back into its home.

Several bow strings being stretched caught their attention, and both Glasswalker and Mako realized that was intentional, for the five Fian that emerged from the forest, there had to have been at least a dozen more hidden within the dense foliage of their natural habitat.

Three of the five Fian had pulled out bows and were ready to strike, their faces were obscured by brown hoods. They looked pensive, obvious guards to the two Fian that had not pulled out weapons yet. The male was dressed in green and silver scale armor, black cloak, and his brown hair tied into a topknot. His companion was garbed in a brown as well, made of thick wool but unlike the Fian behind her, her cloak was clasped by a three pointed leaf with a silver tear drop in the center - the crest of Halainn inniu nobility. Adorning her head was a gold circlet.

"Who dares to intrude upon sacred ground and vandalize our blessed lands?!" demanded the female Fian.

Mr. Glasswater
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:58:32 PM
Coughing and sputtering as he struggled against these new bonds, Glasswater pulled himself up to kneel in the shallows, his jet black mane of hair soaked and dripping onto equally wet clothing. His gills flared open in instinct, and he gave a slight growl at the sudden predicament he now found himself.

But, his rumble of displeasure was soon enough silenced at the sight of the woman before him, and the sound of her voice stilled his movements further.

Fians!

He'd only ever seen a handful during his life at sea, and the ancient race never failed to cause even him to become the humblest of men. Moreso that the Fian woman who spoke carried with her an air of... something indistinguishable as of yet. He had no knowledge of Fian signs and markings, but from his own observation of this woman it was easy to tell that she was something more than those she kept company with.

The Glaucan bowed his head, still even as nature's bindings kept their hold on him.

His voice was a low, gravelly rumble that held the highest inflections of respect.

"Forgive us, noble Fian."

Cneidon Mako
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:35:21 PM
Mako watched the tendrils envelop him and his jawline tensed. The Fian were an old people, traditionally loyal to Reya and her woodsy affinity. He'd had experience against the north tribes, which were mostly cutthroats and bandits, or just archons of discord.

"I am Zeo Cneidon Mako, Imperator of the Necian League."

He spoke in an even tone without rancor, but declined to bow in his ambusher's presence. It was not befitting his station to do so.

G'lyana
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:01:26 AM
The Necian's own faulted honor only allowed him to speak even tempered towards the Fian, but they had cornered him. His people would see him weak if he groveled for forgiveness. Yet still not one word of apology escaped his lips, unlike the Glaucan.

Her green eyes fell upon the humbled Glaucan, who's words she felt carried weight of humility and sincerity. "Forgiveness? You have brought your own squabbles onto our lands," she replied darkly. Soon her vengeful eyes fell upon Mako, "And they have cried out in pain and demand retribution!"

She could still hear the scream of the young sapling. It broke her heart. "What reasons should we even think to forgive you?"

It was still several days journey to Halainn inniu itself. Her city was well protected at this distance and often strays of Men would accidentally find themselves crossing into their territory. Usually children who often dare one another to prove their bravery, and often run away scared by innocent magics of the Guardians. Yet there are those that wish to steal from the Fians and quickly meet there demise in the most unpleasant of fashions, which were the stuff of legends and rumors ...

Mr. Glasswater
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:35:56 PM
The Fian's heavy tone did nothing to make Glasswater feel any comfort, and he continued to avert his gaze, intently staring at the ground. For his own part in the fight with Mako, he had no excuse. He would bear whatever punishment that would be given.

But, for Weeta and the rest of her people; for his captain, he still desired to make their plight known.

"Noble Fian," he started once more, "the great magics are becoming imbalanced. I am here at the behest of our Mer brethren to humbly beg your help in righting them."

Cneidon Mako
May 9th, 2009, 11:16:07 AM
"He's a liar and a thief, and if left unchecked, he will sow discord in your lands, the same as he has sown in Necia."

He wasn't about to prostrate himself to these Fian. The weight of the Aquila could be felt even this far west into Asga. They must know the terrible cost if they considered making valid their threats.

G'lyana
May 17th, 2009, 02:08:46 PM
The female Fian stood rigid, eyes cold with contempt as she addressed the Necian. "Your quarrel with him means little to us, except for the damage and discord that you have brought to our lands."

Eyes shifted to the humbled Glaucan,, but still her question was directed towards the human. "If his reasons are false, perhaps you could enlighten us on the truth."

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:02:45 PM
Glasswater ground his teeth as he turned his head to glare at Mako. The Necian was playing a dangerous game.

"Yes, Imperator, tell us of your truths," he growled.

Cneidon Mako
Jun 13th, 2009, 10:01:27 PM
Undaunted, Mako's eyes turned to the Fian.

"Even this far west, the affinities are respected. Then you must know the Necian League has long held a nexus of much of Midgard's fire affinity power, within the Golden Lantern of Igneon Lux."

He looked for some manner of acknowledgement, then continued.

"This bandit's commander absconded with it. I pursue, not only in Necia's name, but for the sake of the affinities themselves."

G'lyana
Jun 14th, 2009, 12:17:39 PM
The Fian male and female both shared a knowing glance, appreciating the position that the Necian held. If any being, Fian or otherwise, dared to steal from the great Cann dar Beocht de Athol, the sacred Tree of Life, guarded deep within Halainn inniu ... Their life would be forfeit.

The female Fian cast her gaze upon the Glaucan once more with cold features that blanketed the inner turmoil raging within her. If the Necian was speaking the truth, this entire conflict just became too difficult to manage on her own. She would have to consult with the Elders. Any blight against the affinities was a blight against all who protected the magic in the world.

"Does he speak the truth?" came the obvious question at last. The entire Fian presence collectively held their breaths awaiting the answer.

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:04:08 PM
A disapproving glance was sent to Mako, but bound as he was, Glasswater could do nothing more than remain on his knees. Finally, he turned his eyes to the Fian woman.

"Aye," his deep voice rumbled, "... it is the truth.

"But; it is a half truth at best. My Captain takes the Lantern to Demos to return it to its' rightful place. She tasked me with finding the Fian to return with to Necia to help - "

Glasswater paused, sending another look to the Imperator before going on.

"There was a Mer woman traveling with us... I do not know how, but she has absorbed the Lantern's fire magic. It will kill her if we do not find some way to remove it."

Cneidon Mako
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:08:34 PM
"That isn't possible."

Mako's eyes fixed on Glasswater as he knelt.

"It takes multiple mages of the academy to manipulate the Lantern. So single person can use it, much less a Mer. The power would incinerate them instantly."

G'lyana
Jun 14th, 2009, 02:15:38 PM
Her chest heaved with a deep breath and stepped forward towards the Glaucan male.

The male Fian with the topknot step forward in protest and almost grabbed her arm, but remembered his place quickly. "M'lady!" was all he could muster.

She looked at him over her shoulder with resolution and continued to close the distance between her and the humbled Glaucan. Three fingers underneath his bearded chin pulled his gaze to her's without fear. She studied him intently, knowing that he would cause her no harm. She was seeking the truth and could find nothing but sincerity in the eyes staring back at her.

Her hand pulled away and nestle against her chest, as she regarded the Necian. He was too proud to be touched but she didn't need to. Mako was speaking the truth as well. He firmly believed that the Glaucan's story was improbable and a lie to save his own skin.

This posed too difficult a problem for her to mediate alone. Pieces of the story were missing, therefore the Elders must be consulted.

"Bind their arms, take their weapons and blindfold them." She paused and addressed both the accused. "I implore you not to resist."

She signaled for her men to carry out the orders and addressed her male companion. "Sé togradh na Comhairl anois, Kyjah." (It is the will of the Council now, Kyjah)

"Aye, a bhantiarna. Sé críonna cinneadh réasúnaithe." (Aye, your Ladyship. It is a wise decision)

"I feel this will not end well for one of them, my friend. They are both stubborn for friendship or for honor. Both powerful motivators."

"True, G'ylana, but the Council's will shall override their conflict and find the truth to what has happened to the affinity. Even Necian pride must submit to the will of the Nine."*

*Grew tired of translating stuff so :p

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 14th, 2009, 07:57:08 PM
In the presence of the Fian, Glasswater was loathe to disobey the woman's orders, and he dutifully allowed himself to be restrained and blindfolded. He had no weapons to take, and as he was brought up to stand on his own feet, the Glaucan unconsciously squared his shoulders back, head dropping in silent respect.

What came next he could only guess, but Aram Glasswater knew that no matter what, his captain's will, and that of the Mer Elders, would be carried out. Weeta and her people needed the Fian, and by extension, all of Asga needed the Fian more than ever now.

Cneidon Mako
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:47:29 PM
"Taking an Imperator hostage?"

Mako regarded his Fian captor sternly.

"This is a poor way of setting precedent with the League, madam."

As it was, he had only his words and they all knew it. It needn't be said what they stood for.

G'lyana
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:58:18 PM
"You have always been my hostage, or have you forgotten your algaen bonds?" she questioned with a sharp brow. As if to emphasize her point, the algae strengthened even further, enough to make his fingers grow numb. "You were the ones that initially trespassed and threatened our lands."

His bonds loosened once more and two of the Fian entourage began to move towards Mako.

"The road to Halainn inniu is secret and shall remain as such from non Fian," she stated firmly. "To save Necian face, I strongly urge complying."

And this would be Mako's last warning. If there was further protest, G'lyana would silence them immediately.

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 14th, 2009, 09:04:34 PM
From his position, Glasswater inclined his head to where he remembered Mako to be. With the blindfold securely fastened, there was no telling where those around him now were.

"By the Gods, Mako, obey. For both our sakes," he hissed, casting to the side any formalities that the Necian's rank and position allowed him. To Glasswater, Mako was now simply Mako.

Cneidon Mako
Jun 14th, 2009, 09:16:52 PM
Mako glowered at his nemesis, and returned his eyes forward to his Fian captors.

"I have not resisted you. I simply make you aware of that which do."

G'lyana
Jun 16th, 2009, 07:51:57 PM
The only response was a curt nod to her Fian men to go ahead with Mako's bondage. Once the Imperator's arms were securely fastened, they disarmed him and slipped a blindfold over his eyes. Only then did the algae slip away from the Necian's limbs, slithering down against armor and back into the shallow water beneath with a tiny plop.

"We must make haste if we are to see Halainn inniu before nightfall," said G'lyana, who's first steps towards their homeland signaled the guards to nudge Mako and Glasswalker forward by the ends of their bows. Several yards into their journey, three more Fian appeared from the foliage and took up a defensive position alongside G'lyana and Kyjah. More Fian lay hidden within the familiarity of the forest, and their numbers continued to mass as they grew closer to their destination - being quite alert and suspicious of the blindfolded men and possibly trickery.

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 16th, 2009, 09:51:57 PM
As they were led through the forest, Glasswater allowed his captors to guide him safely along. If they had not killed them yet, they would certainly not do so on the road to Hal'ainn Inniu. From everything he had been told of the Fian, in all of the fantastic stories of the forest-dwellers that his mother had once told him growing up, never had she spoken of the Fian as anything but honorable and trustworthy.

Vaguley aware that others had joined their party, he marched solidly onward. Mako he could sense beside him, silent as well. What the Necian was thinking he could not guess, nor did he wish to know. As well, the soldiers under his command... had they come upon his slaughtered horse? Would they be able to track the party now making their way to the Fian city?

They had traveled for two hours before the Glaucan cleared his throat.

"Noble Fian," it was clear that he was addressing any of those around him who would listen.

"The Necian commands a group of soldiers; they may follow... "

Cneidon Mako
Jun 16th, 2009, 10:23:40 PM
"They will not."

Mako sharply rebuked the nefarious Glaucan before he could further endanger his men.

"Necian soldiers aren't un-bayed curs that run themselves ragged over the smell of blood. They have discipline."

G'lyana
Jun 19th, 2009, 10:07:09 AM
Kyjah looked sideways at the Fian noble, knowing it was her place to speak but his blood was boiling for a spiteful retort to the Necian's words.

G'lyana's voice was even and clear, devoid of threat or intention to bait the human into a verbal spar. "If they do attempt to follow and reclaim their leader, they will be captured, not killed, and shall remain bound outside our realm until the conclusion of the Nine's decision."

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 19th, 2009, 10:46:04 AM
It was a comfort at least, the Fian woman's words, and Glasswater allowed himself the barest hint of hope that her people would be inclined to help him.

But he could not keep silent at Mako's words for very long, and in a disgruntled mutter to the Imperator, the Glaucan inclined his head blindly toward his Necian counterpart.

"Necian soldiers are butchers, and their leaders become rotted from the inside out, full of pomp and empty ceremony and the illusion that their rule over Asga is the divine will of the Gods."

Cneidon Mako
Jun 19th, 2009, 10:59:50 AM
"Necia rules over those who desire civilization. Better to be under the Aquila than to suffer cutthroats and outlaws of your sort."

Mako kept his voice even. There wasn't any point in rising to his enemy's baiting.

G'lyana
Jun 19th, 2009, 12:12:59 PM
G'lyana sighed sadly, "This forest does not care about your disagreements with one another. It's best to silence them and preoccupy your minds upon something else for the rest of the journey."

They had barely begun their trek back to her great kingdom and with hours to go, G'lyana would not stand to listen to the Necian and Glaucan bicker back and forth for hours. She was not opposed to gagging either of them if in fact her suggestion fell upon deaf ears.

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 19th, 2009, 12:20:57 PM
There was no denying the warning in the Fian woman's tone, and Glasswater took it to heart. He spoke instead of Ariadne, and this new direction that he suspected her of taking the Fold.

"If Kariun were still alive I would not disagree; but he is not. Ariadne is our captain now. You and I both know that she wishes to undo her father's crime. If she felt any differently, she would have let you raze Peer and slaughter the Mer."

A short silence, and Glasswater's voice fell to a thoughtful rumble.

"But she did not. She longs for adventure, but not at the expense of those who would be helpless to the consequences."

Cneidon Mako
Jun 19th, 2009, 12:43:49 PM
"I believe that Ariadne wishes to do whatever she can to stay alive.

The same as you."

G'lyana
Jun 19th, 2009, 06:06:46 PM
Their continued banter wasn't as painful upon the ears of Fian, so they allowed it. At least they were civil to one another amongst their newest debate. So it continued for five miles, the group nay stopping for rest, food or water. They were all hearty folk that could endure the distance.

Upon the completion of the fifth mile, the guards by Mako and Glasswalker clasped their bound hands and tugged them as a sign to halt. Kyjah looked further to the South with a worrisome expression. "The mighty current of Aiedial shall be heard by our ears soon."

"I know," agreed G'lyana and turned to address Mako and Glasswalker. "You must sleep for the next leg of the journey."

Two Fian stepped before the Glaucan and Necian, each producing a leather pouch from their belt and waited dutifully as G'lyana explained further.

"Inhale the essence of Chedalgah. The fragranece from its roots shall lull you into a peaceful slumber and you'll awaken just as we arrive to the city."

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 20th, 2009, 01:34:29 AM
Glasswater gave a slight hesitation before nodding dutifully. He would obey without question their Fian captor's wishes. A weight had settled upon his shoulders as the party traveled through the forest; so much different than what he was used to, this weight seemed heavy and worrisome, as though the fate of more than the Fold relied on his actions in the here and now.

But now the matter was out of his hands for the time being, and whether they realized it or not, the Fian taken it from him. He suspected that at some point in the future the responsibility would be returned, but for the time being he would conceded to the will of his captors.

Cneidon Mako
Jun 20th, 2009, 10:58:04 AM
"Some concoction to dull my wits and reason?"

Mako stood steadfast. If they intended on using this powder on him, it would be without his cooperation.

G'lyana
Jun 25th, 2009, 05:31:07 AM
G'lyana gave Glasswalker an approving nod, expressing her satisfaction in his cooperation.

Mako was another matter, though it was not unexpected. "I suppose it does in a sense, but it shall only cause slumber. No other harm shall befall you."

Her eyes narrowed with a deep sincerity that veiled no threat as she spoke truthfully. "For it would have already happened if we wished it."

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 27th, 2009, 11:16:56 AM
Angling his head to the side, Glasswater gave his fellow captive a disapproving growl.

"Don't be a fool Mako. Your grand Necian armies are nowhere in sight, and even if they were it would do you no good. Obey."

The Glaucan would be damned to the Black Waters if Mako was the one to destroy any chance of Fian help.

Cneidon Mako
Jun 28th, 2009, 02:37:53 AM
Mako said nothing for what seemed an eternity, then at last ground out "Do as you wish." through a thoroughly dour tone.

G'lyana
Jun 28th, 2009, 07:35:28 AM
G'lyana did not hesitate in giving the order. A stiff raising of her head signaled her three Fians to step forward. Several cracks of stone together ignite the ends of the Chedalgah. A gentle puff of air extinguished the flame, allowing wisps of vapors to rise from the roots.

The brought the Chedalgah directly under Glasswalker and Mako's noses - the smell of violets potent in the air.

"Inhale slow and deep. Allow the Chedalgah to bring you to a warm place of safety, for your last thoughts shall decide the dreams you will endure until you awaken."

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 28th, 2009, 09:30:30 AM
Without a word Glasswater did as he was told. Breathing in slowly, he pulled the gentle fragrances into his very being; into the core of his awareness as he allowed his thoughts to drift to gentler memories. He thought of the sea, of being beneath the soothing, rolling waves of Denetion's waters.

As if pulled down by the eddying undercurrents of the ocean, the big Glaucan sank to his knees, swept away into the depths of his subconscious.

Cneidon Mako
Jun 28th, 2009, 02:45:38 PM
At first, he fought the drug's effect, his muscles stiffening to stand against the urge to slumber. As his senses softened, so too did his resistance, and he heeded the Fian's bidding, allowing his mind to reach a temporary serenity.

G'lyana
Jun 28th, 2009, 03:24:46 PM
Strong Fian arms lowered them to the ground in safety, but soon their legs were as bound as their arms and tied to strong, smooth and thick tree limbs. It would ease the Fians burden of carrying them the rest of the way to the river. But the boats awaited them their and the mighty current of Aiedial shall bring them home - to Halainn inniu.

Hours Later...

G'lyana sat at the head of the boat, looking down at the still slumbering Mako and Glasswalker as two male Fians paddled the boat. It was just wide enough for one person but long enough to carry up to six.

She had to admit that the Glaucan and Necian had been resting comfortably, peacefully - and more importantly, quietly. Something that was impossible since the moment they had first stepped foot within her lands. The Elven Noble savored the moment for it wouldn't last much longer, for Halainn inniu loomed in the distance and they would be waking soon. The great Fian stronghold of culture and magic was nestled within the forest and surrounded by the mystical and majestic Ordorian cliffs. She dared to steal a glance to look at the Wyndaire falls, her favorite place to swim as a child. She could see white buildings peeking through the canopy of trees as eyes scanned further, but soon she heard the groans of sleep beginning to fade and intently watched the pair.

They no longer required their bindings; limbs were free to move and eyes to see, for if they were foolish enough to attempt any aggressions, they would be killed instantly.

Mr. Glasswater
Jun 28th, 2009, 10:56:36 PM
Glasswater stirred, his first thoughts as he pulled himself into consciousness being an awareness that they no longer traveled on land, but rather on the water. It was comforting to feel the gentle rockings of the boat, and as he opened his eyes, the Glaucan let out a long exhale. He felt rested and rejuvenated.

One hand went out to lever himself upward, managing to use Mako's still slumbering form to push up from. The Necian seemed to stir at his touch, but Glasswater paid no mind to their close quarters as his eyes trailed upward to stare in wonder at the awe-inspiring sight before him.

Forgetting himself for the moment, he shook the Imperator as if the two had always been merely old friends.

"Wake yourself," he whispered, "... we are here."

Cneidon Mako
Jun 29th, 2009, 12:07:23 AM
"Do not touch me."

The words were still clouded by sleep as Mako was slow to stir from the effect of the Fiannic herb. His eyes opened slowly, blinking once to collect himself as he sat up, sharing the Glaucan's view of the impressive hidden city.

G'lyana
Jul 21st, 2009, 07:17:07 AM
The boat was steered towards a smaller channel, floating underneath a heavily fortified stone bridge where more Fian warriors dutifully took note of the party arriving. Not threatening in stance, suspicious eyes never strayed from the captives until the boat had turned out of sight, hidden behind spindly bushes and hearty shrubs.

As they drew nearer to the city, towers of alabaster speared there way through the canopies as enchanting musical strings accompanied a rather lovely, but melancholic, ethereal voice - who's words the captors could not dechiper.

"G'lyana!" Kyjah was calling to her from the other boat. He was far from subtle in his nod towards the edge of the river bank. The Fian was stunned to see what she saw, an actual member of the Council ready to greet them. Perhaps they had foreseen her arrival, but if that were true, they would have revealed that when she was brought before them.

Idly she took note of her prisoners and remembered the words the Glaucan had spoken, wondering just how weighted the truth of his words could have been.

Nei'thim
Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:47:47 PM
His was a face of calm. Of weighted responsibility. Of patience. The face that most thought of when the Nine were spoken of. Was it any real surprise that he had been chosen by his peers to greet the travelers arriving? He supposed to most it would be, but for himself there was no question that the events playing out were of a divine nature.

Nei'thim, standing along the riverbank, watched as the boats drew closer. It would not be long now; the uneasy currents sent out from the gods brought with them expected visitors.

G'lyana
Jul 25th, 2009, 09:51:10 AM
Once the boats were near enough, two Fian hopped into the water to pull the boat safely to shore. Three broke away and honored Nei'thim by bowing and touching two fingers to their heart and then forehead.

Kyjah and the rest of the Fian escorted G'lyana and the two prisoners towards the most celebrated member of the Nine. Those that were guarding the Glaucan and Necian did not have to formally greet Nei'thim because of duty, which included Kyjah. G'lyana did however, but her bow was not as deep as the warriors that accompanied her.

"Urraimnas, Seanóir na"* Respected dictated that she wait for his permission to continue and explain how the events came to pass in which Mako and Glasswalker had found themselves as prisoners. Though, admittedly, G'lyana was quite certain that the Nine understood the reasons behind their appearance and those reasons would be revealed in time.

*Honored Elder

Nei'thim
Jul 26th, 2009, 12:29:43 AM
The slightest of breezes caused his white locks to shift ever so gently, and with a bow of his own, Nei'thim returned the respect that had been showed to him. He smiled thinly, knowing that G'lyana harbored curiosity at his presence. He could see it in her eyes. She knew to be patient however, just as he knew as well.

Gaze sweeping past her to look at the Necian and Glaucan, Nei'thim quirked a smile, and when he spoke, his voice held the soothing overtones of kindness tempered with command.

"We have been expecting your arrival with much anticipation."

G'lyana
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:42:45 AM
"For this I am not surprised. How I found these men fighting upon our lands was curious, but not as curious as the tales that followed after their capture." She stepped to Nei'thim's side and presented them with an extension of her arm.

"This is Zeo Cneidon Mako, an Imperator of the Necian League and to his left, Glasswalker of the Glaucans."

Cneidon Mako
Aug 9th, 2009, 02:16:34 PM
Mako could assume this elder Fian was a man of some power here in the lost city, but he could infer little else.

"Fian Host, this Glaucan is an enemy of the Necian State. In my pursuit to apprehend him, we have both been taken hostage and brought to this place. I have no quarrel with you."

Mr. Glasswater
Aug 9th, 2009, 02:31:03 PM
If he had any less control over himself, Glasswater would have stared in shock at the forward words and mannerism that Mako now exhibited. They had been brought to a city of ancient magic and old power, and the Necian still held on to his overbearing nature like some dog to a scrap of tablemeat. As it was, the Glaucan kept silent. It would be best to speak only when spoken to, and to incur as little wrath as possible.

He had done as Ariadne asked, but it was a sure thing that the manner in which things had come to pass was not expected.

Turning his eyes from the Fian woman to the one who'd met them at the shoreline, Glasswater allowed only a respectful nod.

Nei'thim
Aug 9th, 2009, 02:43:39 PM
And in return, Nei'thim gave a nod of his own to the big Glaucan.

The Necian of course, behaved exactly as he'd expected, and the elder Fian turned a bemused stare to the man.

"An enemy of the Necian State?"

By the tone of his voice, it was a simple matter to know that he thought very little of such an accusation.

"That sounds rather... weighty."

Nei'thim turned slightly, gesturing for them to accompany him as he spoke once more to G'lyana.

"But, first things first. The Nine will convene shortly to discuss the shifting Balance, and if I'm not mistaken, your limping Glaucan is in need of a healer."

G'lyana
Aug 9th, 2009, 06:11:45 PM
Glasswalker was not in any danger from the wounds suffered by the incarceration, nor the battle with the Necian. But Elder Nei'thim wished to treat the Glaucan with as much curtesy as was shown to him. For this, G'lyana had no reason to argue and would do so as ordered. It just happened to have been put politely, but twas still an order.

"I shall see to it personally," she replied with a stiff nod and looked to her companion, Kyjah. "Escort our Necian guest to suitable quarters until the Nine have called for him."

He bowed dutifully, opting for more formality now that this particular Elder was present, "It shall be done, Iníona*."

Two of the Fians in escort broke away with Kyjah to lead the Necian away along with Nei'thim, leaving Glasswalker and G'lyana alone with the last two Fian armsmen.

G'lyana stood in silence, appraising the Glaucan before lifting her hand towards the river. "If you would follow me ..."

As she approached the river, she then lowered her hand and shifted so that she could plainly see Glasswalker from over her shoulder. The first signs of apprehension began shadowing her face, breaking the calm, dignified features that had been seen since they had first met. "Please expose the wound. It would be ... easier so that I may mend it."

*M'lady

Mr. Glasswater
Sep 13th, 2009, 06:00:25 PM
He had hesitated for only moment, but at the Fian woman's beckon, Glasswater followed dutifully. He gave a furtive glance over his shoulder as Mako was taken away by the one named Kyjah, though soon his eyes returned once more to G'lyana.

Carefully he lowered himself to sit beside her, his hands going to untie the laces of his boot.

"It is nothing broken," he began in a low voice, "... simply bruised muscles and pulled tendons."

With his boot removed, the Glaucan began to peel up his pantleg, exposing smooth skin. His features betrayed no hint of the aching and dull throb that had afflicted him from the moment his horse had fallen on him, but it was easy enough to see in his eyes that - though certainly nothing major - the pain was still there.

G'lyana
Sep 15th, 2009, 09:25:37 AM
"Sometimes those are the worst injuries, Glaucan," she commented before rolling up the sleeves to her dress. The Fian wanted pure contact of flesh to water, securing a deep connection to the nature of her powers.

Hiking up her the ends of her dress, G'lyana glided to her knees and immersed her hands into the placid river. Only did she feel the cold of the water nip at the edges of her wrist due to hands disturbing its tranquility.

She rose carefully, not to loose the precious liquid that had pooled into her cupped hands. "Our Elder does not wish you to be in pain ..."

The Fian had made her way next to Glasswalker and knelt before his injured leg. It was swollen, but not discolored - not enough time had passed for that to appear. "... a clear mind is needed to explain yourself."

She studied his exposed leg while her hands hovered, gauging the most severe source of damaged tissues - which was the knee. Hands broke apart, water fell against the injury in one splash, forcing his leg numb instantly. Droplets clung to his blue skin, never even hinting at dripping off to the ground below. The saturation diminished quite quickly, warming his skin pleasantly as the healing properties of the water she imbued repaired damaged muscles and tendons with a gentle caress of unseen hands.

Once his leg had dry completely, feeling returned fully and his leg was healed. G'lyana allowed her eyes to meet the Glaucan's, "Better?"

She knew full well the answer.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 4th, 2009, 11:36:03 AM
Glasswater had watched her with some amount of interest, careful to not make his curiosity so apparent. It was an odd feeling, the watery tendrils snaking their way over his skin as they healed that which had been damaged.

And when it had finished, the Glaucan turned his eyes from his leg to the Fian woman, pondering her question for but a moment.

"It is as if nothing had ever happened."

He was slow to his feet, cautious to put too much weight on his newly-healed leg.

"My thanks."

G'lyana
Oct 9th, 2009, 06:43:04 AM
The Fian was satisfied that the Glaucan was healed.

"You are welcomed," she spoke and motioned for the guards to follow. "We best be off. There is not much time to for the Council to deliberate on matters to your arrival. We best be off."