PDA

View Full Version : It's All For the Cause

Emelie Shadowstar
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:38:10 PM
Three months had passed since the rather odd incident on Entralla (http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18819). Three whole months and it still had Emelie looking over her shoulder, expecting more dren to pop up and give unpleasant surprises whenever it felt like it. Trouble seemed to follow her, that she was used to. But having competition to her little enterprise was not. The great thing about pushing things through the black market was the anonymity of it all, and there was a certain profound comfort in that. Even if she did prefer face-to-face transactions with clients, the demi-Zeltron trusted those she worked with enough to keep quiet when things started going wrong. But someone had spoken up, apparently times were getting harder for some and credits spoke louder than any sort of pride or sense of trust was worth.

All in all it wasn't really anything new in her business. Backstabbing was normal, but unfortunately it did mean that she had to be more cautious. After all, the last thing she wanted to do was tarnish the growing good reputation of the company her and her partner had gone and taken the time to start up. Even if it really was just there to make books look shiny in the end.

The nice thing, and admittedly one of Emelie's favorites about it all, was the fact that she got to play high-class. It wasn't something she was born in to, and truthfully she preferred dealing with low-life smugglers in dingy hole-in-the-universe bars...but the fancy joints were nice too. This one in particular: little high society lounge on one of the upper levels of Cloud City.

She liked it there, despite the atmosphere of falsehoods and the constant attempt to prove one's worth without saying a word. It wasn't so bad...and tonight in her deep emerald green dress with her hair pinned up just so and bits of jewelry she'd decided to splurge on after a good deal one time - Emelie was fitting right in. Which was how it needed to be since she was all on her own; at least for the moment. Xavier had come along with her, but had decided to stay behind in the hotel room. Emelie had extended the offer to come with her, but he'd gone and decided to let her handle it on her own. Not that she minded, but some part of her knew she wouldn't be surprised if he randomly decided to show up - especially if the client turned out to be a male.

Now was the unfun part - the waiting game. The contact had come in that someone wanted something moved. The vagueness of the situation was annoying, but didn't quite reek of a trap of any sort, and even then the twin Westar-34s strapped to leg, just below the knee made her feel just that little bit more secure. All that was left was to wait for the contact to show up at their agreed upon meeting spot and to muse over what exactly she'd be dealing with.

I'nu
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:59:22 PM
Work.

I’nu hated work. Whether it was the junk yard, behind a counter, or in space, I’nu hated work. The only work he liked involved art, but that didn’t pay well. Well, at least it wasn't paying yet. He had to pay his dues. Folk art wasn’t an easy come up, and nothing had been in his life. Sometimes he let life beat him down, make him lazy. This wasn’t one of those times.

He had to work.

I’nu had gotten in a bind. Bespin wasn’t even close to Ord Mantell. Business wasn’t good either. He had to get back, back to the pain, the hustle, the bustle, and junk. It wasn’t anything grand to come back to, but that was his life. He lived it, and he worked. He worked until he yawned.

It wasn’t all bad though.

High society establishments had a lot of celebrated faces. Over his first two days he had met Joh Yowza, Ka’Pa, Syal Antilles and more. Of course, he talked to them. Nothing came out of it. Just a chit-chat and back to work with him. They were only something to throw in his memory bank, or better yet his databank. He felt like a droid. Act after act, almost numb, with barley any emotion, going from table to table talking. The kid’s charisma still was alive, and well, but what did it matter. At the end of the day, which it never seemed like it did, he was back to the lower levels with some crappy motel to sleep in.

All he thought about was getting off this rock, and back home…If he could actually call Ord Mantell (or any place) home.

A yawn slipped through, he covered it, and walked over. The platter had some nice dishes on it. Nothing too special, it was too early, but special enough. Special enough that I’nu wouldn’t be able to afford it with his weeks pay. Yet, that wasn’t so bad of an after-thought. It was better than the after-taste. I’nu didn’t like such delicate dishes, especially when they came from Felucia. That planet couldn’t be trusted. Plus, all he had to work there for was a week – then he was off. In retrospect all of this wouldn’t be so bad, but living it out was like hell.

He smiled.

“Ay, would y’like dis sample of Fel-oocian Veg Wrap?”

If it wasn’t his white and black hair, his hazel eyes, or just scruffy cuteness (don’t pinch his cheeks), it was his accent. He stuck out like a sore thumb. Even being Corulag, living on Ord Mantell, he didn’t have their tongue. His mouth had a world of it’s own…somewhere in the Expansion Region.

Who the hell was this mix-breed’s mom? He was Cathar, Zeltron and something…else. Something sort of…human, sort of, but no one minded that. They just wanted him to give them some of that yummy canapé. Maybe this woman would, though. She looked...a bit different than human.

But then again, she might not. I'nu wouldn't get his hopes up. He'd play good little old waiter droid, and go off to the next lounging big wig.

Emelie Shadowstar
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:26:15 PM
Gods...she was so...bored. Bored and uncomfortable and was starting to loathe having to sit around and wait in one spot. She wanted to shine, she wanted to mingle, wanted to speak with almost anyone that was willing to lend an ear - the men in particular. Most men she met at least had something interesting to say, whether it was truth or made-up nonsense didn't really matter so long as it kept her amused. The lies were almost always better most days anyway. But no...she'd been told to wait in a particular little cluster of cushioned seats and was finding that fact positively dreadful. Only the half-empty glass of Alderaan Ruge was making the whole thing bareable. She'd been in mid sip when the...just what was he?...serving boy came by.

And just like that Emelie's interest was piqued. It wasn't the fact that it wasn't a droid that had made the comment - fancy joints like this always seemed to prefer sentient sorts - it was the accent that caught her off guard and the inability to place it instantly dragged out that horrible curiosity streak in her that almost always got her into more trouble. Or maybe it was just the fact that someone was talking to her that she instantly enjoyed...even if he was just doing his job.

"Nah...don't trust anything from there."

The smile she offered him accompanied her adjusting her position in the chair so she was amost sideways in it, using the arm of the chair to prop her elbow on, her chin instantly comign to rest on the back of her hand while the other with the expensive drink still clutched in her fingertips came to rest on her thigh.

"Makes me half wonder if the thing would come alive one you ate it. Killer plants and all..."

She let her voice trail off softly, keeping her attention on the [whatever kind of mutt he was]...hoping her avoidance of a simple 'No thanks' and a wave off that was more typical in the place would keep him around. If nothing else maybe he could provide some sort of entertainment until the client showed up.

I'nu
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:42:49 PM
He stopped.

No motion, really, but a smiley thought.

He tried showing it, but he was fixed. Someone was interested in him. It wasn’t new, or even unusual. Actually, it was quite normal. The only difference was that he didn’t expect it. The days at work seemed like decades, and those decades were void of excitement, interest, and plagued with distraught. No celebrity entrance could disturb that thought…or thoughtlessness to be more exact.

In a void world of droid-like labor, he had something, finally.
After a moment of silence, trapped after her last word, he broke free with a sly smirk. The same sly smirk he used always. It was devilishly innocent, menacingly charming, and often work. In his thought bubble floated a scale, and that scale was even. So far, this was a win-win. She was interested, he was interested; all he had to do was keep the scale even.

Better yet, tip it in her favor.

He liked when people wanted him, needed him. Even when that need got a bit unpleasant. I’nu adored affection, admiration. It was what he lived for. The reason he never rushed up to celebrities, or big names was because of his modest ego. Modest as it was, it was still an ego. No one was really better than him…well except – ahh, forget it, you get the point.

So, I’nu talked. He talked that strange talk. That talk that made her want him around for a second more.

“Haf-wonda? Fraaag-Aint no wonda’ wittme – I kno’ dat dey bite’cha hand off.”

He smiled. This time the smile wasn’t a smirk, but an actual smile. Geniune, caring, and childlike, ready to take all the warmth she might give.

“Now ma’am, I caint help but notice—you look different. Can I ask—“ He looked at her, drawing her in with his eyes, requesting without a word confirmation. It didn’t come, but he knew it should be alright. She didn’t fit this place too well to be outright snobby. At least, not in his eyes, but his eyes were that of a Cathar…and Cathar saw different things. “Are ya straight human o’ a bit somethin’ else?”

Emelie Shadowstar
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:33:06 PM
And with that he had her instantly won over. It almost wasn't fair. But the scruffy appearance and smooth talking in a unique accent reminded her far too much of the kind of person she preferred the company of - well, one in particular (and she hadn't seen him since Kelada - shame she couldn't remember most of what they did together then but what she could remember had been all kinds of fun.) Regardless...she took an instant liking to this one.

His question, however, caused a tiny war in her mind. Some days she'd outright laugh it off for anyone even suggesting such a thing (for whatever reason that day she felt would justify it) and other days embraced it for all it was worth. And that evening in the lounge, surrounded by people that would either find it exotic or shun it completely Emelie found herself quite unsure if she wanted to just let that little bit of information go. But he'd picked up on it somehow and the question brought the slightest of flushing to her cheeks that probably made the soft overall slightly pink tone of her skin just that much more obvious. Thank whatever gods existed that she never allowed the natural deep crimson color of her hair to show otherwise she'd never be able to deny it.

A moments pause was given as it all ran through her mind before the one side won out - what could be the worst that'd come from it? And if anything she was getting what she wanted (even if it was just silly conversation) and Emelie always liked that. Some days it paid to remain a mystery and others...

"Funny and an eye for detail? Goodness whatever are you doing in a place like this? Seems you found me out though so I guess I have to go on and say it, huh? My mother was a Zeltron. I'd ask you the same question deary, but I get the feeling that's a rather complex answer?"

Small talk, it had its uses...and currently it was serving the purpose of keeping the boy from fully doing his job and keeping her from getting restless.

I'nu
Jan 29th, 2009, 09:38:29 AM
She spoke, he smiled. The smile was generous, wide, and jovial. His head swivel slightly, looking to hide his silly grin.Then, suddenly, he remembered again. I’nu stuck out, but it was worse than any other time or any other place. This establishment had him in a suit. His hair, and a dress suit? It was a combination bound to fail. The wild, rebellious flock of black and white with the straight-lace wear made the whole thing a joke. He didn’t fit in, but that was good. Then, as soon as he remembered, he forgot.

And so, he remembered her.

The undertone of her skin was like someone he knew. Someone in his own family – he had Zeltron in him too. He was a mutt though. Not many were as mixed up as him back on Corulag, but the further he went out the rims he saw the galaxy’s work. The love bug had plagued all sorts of people. Even those who were infected for a night brought new, mixed, rare “disease” into the world. He liked to think of himself as one of the best diseases.

She probably was immune to his disease anyway, so he continued. The conversation was good so far, so why head off to some idiot concerned with his foot rest?

“Ye wright dere—It aint so straight like,” he started, changing his voice ever so slightly to paint the picture. “Ooo, my mom is this. It’s a lot more like she is this, this, that…dad was this, this…that, and that too.”

He chuckled his input away, rolling into his next words as he stuffed his free hand into his pant pocket. It was a habit of his. He liked the habit.

“What I’m wonder’n tho’ is why you are here – ye kno’ I can tell. This aint’cha crowd”

Emelie Shadowstar
Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:20:07 PM
Another risk presented itself, painting a picture of possible entrapment that perhaps just a few years ago she would have disregarded with a girlish giggle before spouting off a life story colored in pretty metaphors that made the term smuggler or gun runner sound like the best job in the verse. But recent events had turned the twenty-something girl into a twenty-something woman who suddenly had reasons to listen to that small irk of paranoia and keep herself more...reserved. At least, with information. It didn't stop the amused mischievous smirks and gentle changing in her body language that went from polite to just a hint of a flirtatious nature. And so Emelie let a small roll of her eyes accompany an over dramatic sigh.

"Business, sadly. About the only way you can get me dragged into this sort of place. It has no life, no spark. Everyone's too concerned with what's proper and what's not going to make tabloids the next day."

She laughed softly, gently shaking her head and caused a loose strand of her hair to fall in front of her eyes which was carefully brushed away before she took another small sip of the drink in opposite hand.

"Half tempted to retreat to one of the lower levels after this and go to a real bar."

A moment was given, just to let that thought sink in before hazel eyes focused upon the boy once more and she just barely bit at her lower lip in that coy manner she knew drove some men crazy though had no clue if the small action would have any affect on this one. And then came that question that probably shouldn't have been asked but she did anyway...boredom didn't make for the best decision making some times.
"You wouldn't happen know any good places...would you?"

I'nu
Feb 5th, 2009, 11:39:55 AM
Humor splashed his face. First it was that left eyebrow, then his lips fiddled with a smirk hoping to become a grin. Then there was those eyes of his. Those hazel eyes of his gazed at her, light as the skies around the cherished city. Despite the thin of his face, his cheeks were thick with child-like smoothness. Time was fond of I'nu, and still very much the boy he once was.

It was fleeting though. He shook his head slowly, letting his smile droop a bit. Yet, it didn't become a frown. I'nu wouldn't allow that. This was an interesting conversation, and he chose to show his amusement, no matter how subtle it was.

"Yea--yea--but its gunna cost'ya..."

Finally, his eyes brought on the target. The plate in his hand was full. If they were going to go off to do something else, he had to have a good reason. Despite the painful boredem it caused him, it was still his job. He couldn't just leave...even if he wanted to. There had to be an excuse, and a good one too. One that involved pay on the lounge's end.

Emelie Shadowstar
Feb 6th, 2009, 02:36:40 PM
"Oh...will it, really?"

Her own hazel eyes flitted up to meet with his, locking for one of those instants that, had a few things been different, might have actually meant something a bit more from her than just trying to challenge him to give up the information. The instant passed and Emelie let the smallest of laughs leave her as that moderately suggestive glance passed to the side focusing upon nothing in particular. The laugh was more at her own mind than anything he'd said, scoffing at the tug-of-war between better judgement and the simple desire to have fun. It was never a good thing when those two went at it and really there was only one person who could sway her back towards what was more proper. Though, a quick glance into the crowd came up with a negative on that one's presence, a fact that made the playful smirk return to her features as she returned full attention to the boy.

"So you going to leave me hanging on or do I get to start negotiating a price?"

D'Kor
Feb 7th, 2009, 10:06:44 PM
Cloud City...did, or rather, things happened on Cloud City. It was, as far as D could remember, all bad, although there was a risque story that floated around him about a Nagai dancer; But that was only rumor since everyone involved was three sheets beyond wasted. However the one constant thing in Cloud City was enough shiny to keep any self respecting low life profiteer coming back time after time. Noble's, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. D preferred can't live with 'em...can't live with 'em.

The current tour on the floating metropolis hadn't gone south, yet. An old mercenary friend turned city guard wanted some real firepower instead of the standard issue, naturally he called the only honest swindler in the verse. After that they had both found a bar so far down the chain that the bartop was used as a repair bench as much a serving counter. It was great, even the cups had grease stains. And then someone got to ranting about the Old Money didn't have to do a lick of work honest or otherwise to sit in the best of the best.

D'Kor considered his current station, working on a busted pump with a hydrospanner in one hand and a black ale in the other, quite luxurious. But they did have a point...someone needed to show them how good ol' boys had fun, but most everyone wasn't fit to sit much less stand. D could manage to stand, since acting drunk when your just buzzed is better than being drunk, and naturally nominated himself to "mingle" with "business associates".

So an hour later, because riding the lifts buzzed is absurdly fun and you can't go just once, the doors to the fancy looking lounge hissed open and D'Kor couldn't help but let out a low whistle. He could see that his short sleeved, band labeled T, tattered cargo's, and military boots weren't going to mix here....ever. Still he had to try, for the low class. After navagating to the bar, where in he almost collided with a few tables and mumbled a low "Sque' Me." D'Kor leaned forward and called for the barman, in that drunk lingo that seemed quite peaceable. The pretty counter top blemished by the oil stains on his elbows.
"Gimme a round."
"O-" the barman was cut off, "No..gimme more'n one...and a half."
"....More than one and a half?.....of what?"
"Rotgut."
While waiting for his order to appear in front of him the rough-neck failed to scope out the middle aged woman next to him without being caught. He flashed a white smile, "Ni hao meili."

I'nu
Feb 8th, 2009, 08:57:40 AM
A chuckle slipped, sled, then dripped like small pipe leak out his mouth. His hand lifted to cover. Eyes falling to slits, he took her in again. The tiny laugh subsided, and his face showed thanks. The light lit behind his eyes, and hardly parted lips reminded him that he was enganged in all of this. Whether he liked it or not, he could have been taken advatange of at that very second and he wouldn't be prepared.

Women were always a hard act to follow.

"Ye throw up d'price and I'm all yours," he smiled. The tray came out of his hand now, but gracefully. With a slight kneel, he placed the food down on the table, lifted back up, and hid his hands in his pockets.

He was absolutely comfortable now.

"Jus' aslong as y'make it a good price." The smile hadn't gone anywhere.

Emelie Shadowstar
Feb 9th, 2009, 10:51:31 AM
A small innuendo, just a harmless innocent one was lingering on the tip of her tongue, lingering, begging to be spoken... and then she saw the small ruckus taking place in straight view behind the serving boy. And for that instant, try as she might, there was no hiding that horrid shock that appeared on Emelie's face. She couldn't play it off as just appalled that there was a man who obviously didn't belong essentially crashing the establishment. No, there was no hiding that unmistakable look of recognition. Though out of all the familiar faces in the verse, all the people that she could possibly have spotted at that moment the sight of that particular blond-haired gorram solider-boy instantly caused that wretched fluttering somewhere in her stomach that she loathed and some small bit in the back of her mind entirely enjoyed far too much. Damn him.

But there was no way she'd let him see her so toppled off her comfort zone. No. Frakkin. Way. And so the slight bit of fidgeting stopped, the slightly nervous tell she had of slightly biting the inside of her right cheek ended and a deep breath was taken. And while the moment had seemed to last just far too long in her own mind, in actuality it only took a few fleeting moments, barely noticeable to most before she forced her eyes to refocus on the other one...and then she was silently cursing herself for knowing that she was actually there for a business deal, though the client still hadn't shown and so that sudden want to offer the boy something a bit outrageous and bolt with him (maybe make sure that Mr. That-One-Time had seen it just to be cruel to him for a change. - not that she suspected he'd care. Though knowing her luck that'd be the moment that her actual partner would decide to join them all.). But no...she needed to delay, just a bit longer...

"A good price? Well that's a bit vague. There's so many definitions of good. And each of those has an entirely different value in some eyes."

...she really was incorrigible.

D'Kor
Feb 11th, 2009, 09:44:35 PM
It was never hard to pick a fight in an upscale bar. The low class places used harsh language and threats as means of amiable communication, the "I'll ruin your woman" line was just a joking "C'Mon, don't do that." In a fancy establishment, especially if you didn't fit in, men would flock to a woman being romanced for three reasons. One, it was their woman to start with. Two they thought they were being chivalrous and could get a number out of the act. Or they just didn't like the guy and it was a good chance to prove you had bigger minerals. Simple baiting.

And within minutes of D'Kor's opening line to the woman next to him a pompous six foot seven, greasy haired, man unceremoniously stepped between him and the woman.....spilling D's drink. The night had officially gone south.
"You spillled my drink mate."
"I didn't like the way you were treating the lady."
A reason two guy. Perfect.
"I don' much like you."
"Leave."
"Or what? You'll call men with more balls 'an you ta take me out? Yer a gorram sissy boy."

The man slapped D across the face which took a great deal of effort on D'Kor's part not to laugh. Half instinctivly, half planned, he reached for the empty holster on his thigh. The man smiled, assuming that he had won since no gun was present. Returning the grin blondie sent an uppercut into the man's solar plexis.
"I was gunna pull a gun on you. Why the frell would you think I wasn't goin'a hit'cha? Know what? I'll bet good money yer livin' off creds you scrape from daddy's back, ain't you? Yeh, you look like a punk."
With a quick glance around the room D made sure no one was playing wingman for Mr.Chivalrous. Seeing none he let his eyes snap back to an overly colorful head of hair at a table infront of him. An evil grin spread across his face.
"Now...Emmy, over there," He pointed not so subtly, "Can work it. A deal, I mean. T'ain't exactly hard work...but she's got the smarts ta reel in the creds, ya know?" He stepped over the man on the ground. "Emms! You did som'tin to yer hair, I can tell."

Emelie Shadowstar
Feb 16th, 2009, 10:40:25 PM
Emmy...that name alone was enough to cause every muscle in her shoulders and neck tense up into an uncomfortable knot. He NEVER called her that! Only one ever had and she hated that one with a passion. The fact her associate had gone and seen fit to get himself into a disagreement had been okay in her mind, just as long as it couldn't be linked to her...and then...Emms!

Gods... She. Could. KILL. HIM.

Visions of pulling the twin Westars from their hiding place and blasting him all to hell were caught mingling with the more unsavory memories in the back of her mind. It brought an small flush to her cheeks that she could feel instantly and felt even more annoyed. This wouldn't do. Just wouldn't! She couldn't go about thinking about him as favored drinking buddy that she'd escaped with for a weekend, even if that's really what he was. Nope, the blond who was heading in her direction had to go back to being what he had been first and foremost - employee. It kinda sickened her for the moment. She didn't want to think of him like that but at the moment it was all that could be done to save face...and prevent her from giggling and joining in on whatever madness D would cause that'd cause her actual partner to roll his eyes at her retelling of it later on.

"You aren't supposed to be here..."

The sentiment was let loose just loud enough that she knew D'Kor would hear it but would still keep her fairly guiltless among the rest. Well, most of them...She gave a bit of a pleeding and apologetic look to the cute (yep, she had to admit that to herself) waiter boy. For the simple fact that he was near her in any manner could only mean...well maybe not bad things, but an obvious involvement in whatever scheme her dear solider-boy was playing in his head.

I'nu
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:16:07 AM
Confusion broke with punches, chivalary and stupidity. I'nu normally called that his que - his point to leave. Yet, on this time, he was in waiting. Everything was pending her answer; the final answer. She had already shot him back a word, but there was no room in the clutter. Someone behind him had caught her attention, and it wasn't the good attention that charm merit. In her eyes he saw it - it was the attention that trouble took a hold to.

A sigh slipped out his gut, and into the air, but ever so quiet. There was no point in stirring the problem any further. I'nu was sure this new face would certainly bring enough chaos with him. Already he was yelling, screaming, and hitting folk. There was no sense in meddling with the pot.

Before the blondie could any closer, I'nu leaned in, let out his offer, and glanced over his shoulder at the incoming traffic of one. This blonde guy was throwing a wrench in his whole plan of getting off on his shift, and it wasn't good. It wasn't good at all, and he had to move fast if he was going to get out of this dump.

"Give me you, I'll give you me -- thats da deal, eh?" A smirk rose on his lips as he backed away, tucked his hands in his pockets, and gave a lingering gaze at the trouble-maker. Hopefully Emms would handle this guy quick and they could split. Too much had happened already for his taste, and it was starting to get too sour. Someone had already been called in from the bar to clean-up daddy's boy who had been laid out on the floor. It was only a matter of time before security was asked to brush this guy aside, and I'nu didn't want to be a long for that ride.

D'Kor
Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:54:55 PM
"Yeh I know, not really my kinda joint. Tech and maintenance crew has a decent place few levels down...no games though, shame that." He stopped shy of the opposite side of the booth. "Came up here ta see if'n I couldn't find a little bit of a row." An eye was cast over the kid who looked like a waiter. Could have been someone pretending to be one or just on a pickup job...he'd seen both situations before and neither of them presented themselves as something he should inquire about.

"Mind if I just..." He started to slip himself into the empty bench of the booth, "Right here...don't look like it's taken yeh?" After he'd gotten a leg in he sat down rather quickly in hopes that Em wouldn't be able to start a riot if he didnt' give her the chance. "Even got business for ya this time." He was careful pull a tiny, black plastacine baggie while drawing as little attention as possible. Sliding it out into the middle of the table for all to see he slumped forward resting his chin on his hands.

"Managed to get a few crates of it from an Iridonian merchan vessel I knocked off not too long ago. Folk said it was near on five keys a crate an' got my share of...'bout that many." He childishly held up eight fingers. "Usually I move yarrock and the like on my own but I can't put too much of my supply on the streets. Figured you or some friend o' yours might have a need fer it, thought it'd be helpful if I actually did somethin' for ya that related to the job."

Emelie Shadowstar
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:16:05 AM
Trapped was a hellish understatement for how she was feeling in that instant. And the waiter kid's proposal was kinda tempting on its own though there was that little voice in the back of her head reminding her that well, if the kid had crossed paths with her all of just a bit over a year ago she might have run off just on that, but nowadays...well nowadays that odd part of her brain was tellin her that she wasn't really her own to go off and give herself away on whim. That sort of thing had all sort of nasty consequences now that she was only willing to edge on with certain folk...

...One of whom was really tightening the screws as he flopped himself down in the booth. She instantly wanted to reach over the booth and strangle the blond. Emelie could already see herself doing it and getting her AND the solider boy thrown out. ...was almost worth it. Even as he went about babbling off about some deal(and subsequently probably letting that waiter boy know far more about her than she really wanted. After all, D might as well have held up a sign that pointed her out as a spice trafficer right there and then.) she was already making subtle motions that were putting other things into place.

After all, even the folks now who were "taking care" of the pretty boy D had slugged had gone over to his side only after a little glance was given and there were a few others working on a story to get security to either delay or forget the whole thing ever happened. She wasn't stupid after all and no one in their right mind in her position ever went into anything completely on their lonesome.

A bit of air was let out slowly as the gears turned and the rest of the place seemed to settle enough she could finally let what was brewing about in her mind come to the front. That client she was supposed to meet wasn't here...and now solider boy just happened to show up with a batch of yarrock that needed to get moved. Oh gods....he....he didn't.

"Cut the go-se. You aint here be accident, solider-boy."

And there came the delightful little outter rim accent she'd been trying oh-so-hard to hide the entire evening. Frak it, only the two men were close enough to hear her and the waiter boy by now had figured out she wasn't some fancy dame by nature if he had any sort of wit (which she was pretty sure he did).

And then came one of those awful bad decisions she'd always trusted in since they somehow usually became a real good decision later.

"I am gonna get you back for this stunt later though, dearest. But this is hardly the place to go about finishin this up. My boys can keep them all baffled for only so long before the actual goons move in and see through what I've got going here. They were meant to cover for me, not clean up after you."

Now to bring it all together on a gamble that she may or may not regret. But there was just something about the kid she'd taken a liking to and she was now dearly hoping her gut instincts and guesses on this one wasn't wrong. And so Emelie turned to the waiter boy.

"That place you know of, sorry to change up the deal here but still care to show it off? I'll buy you a round or two. And dren, maybe even get you more ruttin credits than this ritzi gig would get you in a month."

If he decided to play along, great. She figured she could use the kid for a while. Always nice to make new contacts. And if he wanted nothing to do with it all, well then it'd be her and D and that worked shiny too. One thing was certain, no matter how this ended at this point she was pretty sure Xi was going to hear about it and give her a good verbal thrashing for it later.

I'nu
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:10:28 AM
I'nu watched with a smile. It was a smile that restrained his discontent. The new had rushed in, caused problems, and inadveterly put him on the back-burner. I'nu had an ego like everyone else. Of course, he was a lot cooler with it than most, but it was still there. In this instance, it was being tested, and I'nu was an interesting man when tested.

Not too interesting to totally different though.

With Emelie's question, he reverted back to his good o' self. Impulsive was one of those many words to describe I'nu's personality, and it was coming to the fore on this occasion. With little heed, he pulled out, let the platter sit on the table, and grabbed at Emelie's hand.

No need to wait, they could move now.

He yanked her from her seat as softly as he could. A laugh escaped him. It was like a child's giggle. This was fun. Geniune, honest, fun, for him at least. Despite the obvious tension resting in the air, he didn't despair. All he did was bring Emelie closer to him, dart his eyes to the soldier-boy and slumped over to the door.

"Lets go..."

D'Kor
Apr 29th, 2009, 11:44:44 AM
Again that discomforting emptiness of his holster, the absence of the one trusted companion in the verses was forcing him to play nice. It had taken half a second to make his temper flair dangerously when the arrogant little bag of bones had gone and snatched up his boss and possible broker. The fine hairs on the back of his neck bristled in anger and the corner of his lip twitched with a barely contained snarl. If he'd had something to kill the little chuckle head besides a knife or boomer there would have been another body, sure as sun rise.

However he couldn't make the scene worse by running over and gutting anyone, and blowing up another joint wouldn't leave him enough time to get away clean. None of that stopped him from pointing his finger like a gun and dropping his thumb like a hammer on an old fashioned gun. The blond man swept the spice back into his pocket and sidled out of the booth. "Good luck to ya, though. Not too long ago girly would have been draggin' you off." He hooked his thumbs into the front of his belt and began meandering off towards another exit. "Only reason she ain't is she's got herself some kinda man. Got to be, only reason she'd be all uptight. Thumpin' good'un to I'd wager, near on tying the knot if it ain't happened on some ritzy back water planet already. Oh an' heard about you gettin' tangled up there for a bit Ems. Sorry 'bout that mess."

He paused to light up a cigara before leaving the swanky establishment. The door infront of him opened up and security nearly ran over him, he apologized and stepped out of the way as they went about looking for whoever had been hurt.

Emelie Shadowstar
May 6th, 2009, 02:26:10 PM
There was some...horrid amount of tension that was building every moment and while anyone would have probably been aware of it, Emelie felt like she was suddenly drowning in it all. It got worse when the waiter boy pulled her out of the seat. Normally it was one of those things she would have found amusing but now it just caused a knotting in her stomach...one of those things where she didn't even need to look at D'Kor to know he was itching to do something that she couldn't possibly hope of containing.

And then he went and opened his mouth and for a moment Emelie was caught between wanting to be angry at the closest thing she had to a friend for misunderstanding what the hell she'd been trying to imply and really wanting to get angry at him for what he was implying back. She hadn't just gone and asked the kid to take her somewhere but rather them, as in the trio, as in...As she watched him walk off it hit her like a ton of bricks and she found herself instantly muttering, not really caring if the boy in close proximity heard her.

"Oh that lurn shwei jah jwohn..."

Every muscle in her body tensed as she realized one particular thing...D had gone and managed to put her in a position she really didn't want to be in. He'd made the proposal and now had gone and made it so that she would have to...augh!

"C'mon..."

A quick movement, but one done with some odd sense of grace instead of harshness, let her slip away from I'nu's hold, but managed a gentle tug on his shirt. Another one of those apologetic glances was given and she was already cursing herself for how many more of those would be forced out by the time this was all over.

Security rushing in was giving enough of a distraction for her and the waiter to slip by, especially since the small crew she'd had set up there were now making a grand mess of any accounts people were trying to give of what had happened.

As soon as they were cleared of the fancy place she caught sight of blondie and although wanted to rant at him about having some nerve and how he'd known damn well what she was trying to do all that came out was...

"Swear when this is over you're going to owe me a bottle of the good stuff. You know damn well I'm interested. Don't have to go and cause some sort of...issue. Bad enough I'm gonna be stuck in this damn gettup but I don't need to deal with that kind of crap as well."

The tone seemed to shift from angry to that over casual bit that close friends used back to almost on the verge of screaming again. Whether the kid had followed or not (and some part of her really was hoping he did), she walked up to D'Kor and put a finger against his chest.

"I...really hate you some days."

A bit of a pout came to her lips before suddenly she reached up and snagged the cigarra from him and brought it to her own lips as she practically tossed herself against the nearest wall and inhaled deeply, letting her back hit with a slight amount of force that was just shy of showing off how irritated she was at everything.

After a moment to pause, hazel eyes finally looked back over to I'nu as she held the cigarra back out to it's owner knowing he was probably either on the verge of slapping her for taking it in the first place or busting up at the knowledge he'd once again gotten completely under her skin.

"So kid...where abouts is this place. Gotta tell you now though, knowing D here this is gonna get messy and all sorts of complicated before it's over. You want out speak up now or I'm gonna be taking it as a call that you're in for the long or short of it."

I'nu
May 8th, 2009, 12:46:14 AM
Lights, camera, action. Well, there wasn't any cameras, only action. And the lights? They were bright. At least to those hazel eyes of his. I'nu had stumbled through the crowds with her. The warmth of that girl by his side - it was encouraging. So, he was surprised when it left him. All of it was so sudden.

The hall burst with lights. Inside the lounge the rooms were dimly lit, cozy and sweet. Outside everything was blank, bright and intoxicating. For a second, he stood still, trying to make clear his surroundings. The mutt's eyes were still squinting from the changes as the gal ran off. He didn't have the time to say anything.

His mouth open though.

For a moment it was a gape. Then, his arm, out, and once wrapped a long Emelie's was used to lift. His knuckles did the rest of the job. He was rubbing away at those eyes of his. Somehow, he thought that would handle the problem. Unlikely, but it was worth a try.

When he finally brought his vision back to the real world, he saw white. The walls were white. However, the carpet wasn't. It was a velvet red, like crimson. Not in the shade of blood, though. More in the hue of roses. The very thought eased him. No words slithered out yet, only a yawn. His open mouth stretched wider to let it out. His arms followed suite, stretching out to welcome the ceiling lights as though the sun.

Then, there came a silly smile. Flopping his hands down at his side, I'nu let one hand rest on his neck. A kink was rolling through it; he had to work it out. As he faintly heard Emelie's banter over the sound of his thoughts, he twisted his head about. From left to right, and back again, he rolled his head into a circle hoping to feel good again. No warmth had come back to his side, only smoke.

The cigarra was running it's stench into his nose. He didn't like it. His face didn't say a thing, though.

Slowly, smoothly, I'nu stepped. The lady was talking again. Her voice like the velvet of the carpet, yet rough with the sizzle of last drag. A smile smeared along his lips, lids still shut from his yawn. There was a tire slipping down his spine. Despite the bustle behind him, he was relaxed. None of the lady's words hit him. I'nu was still in his own world. His eyes didn't even wake.

But he felt her words. That was good enough, he had a reply:

"Whateva...lets go," I'nu strolled pass her. His eyes still shut.

The lift was at the end of the corridor. At the other end was the clamor. There wasn't even the smallest inkling to look over his shoulder. Instead, he worried...well, about nothing. The youngster's gait was like his feet were laced with roller skates. Each step was butter to toast, pearls on pebbles, and lazy enough to make turtle say speed up. The boy was off work. A little early, but he was off work. And he was letting it all go.

Now to the lower floors where the low-lives stayed. Home. It was only a click away, and his finger did the clicking. Seconds seperated the three from the zoom, beep, stop, and step in. This was going to be interesting. Silly how I'nu looked so indifferent.

Emelie Shadowstar
May 26th, 2009, 01:47:28 PM
It was a vain sort of thing, she knew that, but all Emelie could seem to be worried about was that she was dressed up like some high class working girl, headed with two boys into the underbelly of Cloud City. So as the trio entered the lift she instantly began trying to fix the irritant. Jewelry was removed and tucked into the small handbag that hung from a slender chain off her shoulder, candy colored hair being unpinned so it could fall loose around her shoulders. The dress itself was still over doing it, but thank whatever gods existed it wasn't floor length. Might as well been in her mind, though. The subtle fidgets and grumbles were enough to let just about anyone know of her annoyances with it all.

Since entering the lift she'd avoided saying anything, or even really making eye contact with either of the others until she felt that her appearance was well, better and that tension that came with trying to be something she probably really wasn't mostly left her. Then came that look to D that warned him from making any sort of comment about it all, though Emelie had to admit she almost want to hear one of his smartass comments, even if it made her want to throw something at him. His silence was driving her mad. Maybe later he'd at least yell at her for getting the kid mixed up in it all, she almost figured she would like that in some sick way.

A heavy breath was taken, held onto for a second, and then let out from the corner of her lips to blow a strand of hair out from in front of her eyes only to have it stubbornly fall back in place. She had to break the silence, had to. The lift coming to a halt at its designated stop gave the opportunity.

"Alright then, kid..." it dawned on her she'd never snagged his name. "...lead on."

D'Kor
May 27th, 2009, 10:47:07 PM
He tossed himself into a corner of the lift behind the other two and crossed one arm over his chest, the other holding the smoke to his lips. Trying not to grin would have been futile so he just enjoyed the moment of triumph. Pushing her buttons was far to easy sometimes but he'd never tried to work her into doing something for him just by talking alone. It made him feel....smart. "Psh...smart...as if. Scrappy here's pro'lly got more smarts than I do."

It wasn't that long of a ride but there was time to blow out a few smoke rings and get slightly irritated by the lift-tube music. "...Bloody awful stuff. Make anyone's ears bleed after a while." He was nervous for some reason. It was obvious he was nervous becuase he was talking to himself in his own head, though the usual assortment of butterflies people usually get in there stomach wasn't present; they never were.

And then that look. She'd practically told him not to say anything....which meant it was unquestionable he was going to. "Cripes Em, mellow out a bit. You looked fine before. Could'a worked a respectable cover. Now you just look like a Trick strung out on death sticks with those jitters." As the doors opened up he pushed past her before she could step out, letting his free hand drop down and slap her ass on the way out.

I'nu
May 27th, 2009, 11:33:52 PM
I'nu played dumb. It wasn't hard. He just looked up at the ceiling, watched the numbers run across the screen and kept quiet. This was there fight, not his. He wasn't going to get in the middle. One of those stray bullets could hit him.

And I'nu didn't like bullets. Not even the verbal kind. Plus, it could eventually get physical. I'nu wasn't not into violence, but didn't mean he preferred it. Especially when he might get hurt. So, he kept his mouth shut and listened calmly as their spout went on.

Something had gone on between them. That was far too obvious, but the what was a bit harder to grasp. Only a bit. There wasn't bad blood, just some sort of blood. I'nu felt like they could be cousins...sisters...family members with all that bickering. It was difficult to decipher between all the chaos that had just happened. I'nu was trying to get his wits about him and plan out the next move.

A lot of trouble could be barking up their tree if those idiots up stairs wanted too. Either way, he was done. The mutt wasn't going back. They probably wouldn't want him any way.

Emelie Shadowstar
Jun 11th, 2009, 12:13:51 PM
Whereas a normal woman may have tried to defend themselves from some man who basically just said they looked like a whore and had followed up the comment with an action that almost emphasized the point (and all in front of a practical stranger...nice), Emelie on the other hand was fighting off every impulse to reciprocate the obscenity back at her 'friend'. But it was whatever shame she'd managed to form in the last year or so that kept her in check, it was probably best to not start something that while she thought might be fun to, really had no intention of finishing.

A small nod of her head directed at the exit of the lift was given to the mutt before she quickly fell into place next to D'Kor, waiting on the kid to lead them to whatever place he felt would work for the purpose they wanted.

"Better looking like a drugged up doxy than some Agamarian on holiday. You know, we're probably already in that safe zone, doubt the big-wigs have it bugged down this low. So what's the deal with the goods? You know I've got the means to get stuff out there quiet enough, so what makes this dren any different?"

The bar at this point was almost a moot point. It'd probably do nothing other than go towards her buying the two boys a few rounds after they figured out the details of the job, her and the solider boy trying to out-drink each other, and then Xavier being forced to come clean up the mess they'd leave behind while this poor mutt was mixed up in it all. His place in all this was still an over aware factor for Emelie, she hadn't forgotten about him, but she hadn't quite figured him all out yet either.

D'Kor
Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:45:47 PM
"Well it's the real deal yeh? Usually this stuff gets escorted out to other religious places, temples and the like. Nutters use it to talk to the gods or some dren. You believe that? They wanna talk to somethin' that ain't there." He tossed back his head and let out a quick bark of laughter. "They should go to the Lawmen and ask for help." He tried to keep up, he really did, but his own joke was making him laugh so much he had to stop and double over to catch his breath. It was one of the better quips he thought he'd come up with.

After subduing the laughing to a tollerable giggle he trotted back to the other two and fell instride once more. "Oh c'mon, it was funnier 'an you let on an' you know it. Anyway..." One long, final drag from the smoke before he flicked it away and let the white haze escape while he continued talking. "The crew I was working with only had a small planet hopper and couldn't fit more than a share of the crates in with us on the way back. If we get a bigger ship and get there before the others we can take it all. But the best part is since it's the real deal,"

He dropped his voice a touch and hunkered down as if someone was trying to listen in, "it's pure. Hundred percent uncut and it can only be traced back to the prostrating religous frak jobs that made it, see? Easy, quick job and a big payout." He skipped a head slightly so he could walk backwards and look at the woman, who for the moment he was treating like a friendly boss, face to face. "C'mon Emelie. No mess this time. Honest. Really, all we need is....a few space suits, a ship, two sets of arms and a pilot." Adding the wide pleading eyes was probably a bit much ontop of the whole kid routine but at the moment he was still buzzed and couldn't take much seriously.

I'nu
Jul 19th, 2009, 04:37:29 PM
The smell of life could be distracting. I'nu was uncomfortable. They were talking, joking, all behind him. As he lead, they played. Wasn't he the young one? Something unnerving restled up his spine at the very thought. He had played kid - the charming kid - for years now. Actually more than just years - all his life, and these two were disturbing his free nature. The problm with leading, or even following, was that there were responsibilities.

Needless to say, he felt awkward. I'nu kept it under wraps though. His eyes just stayed ahead. While one ear listened to D'kor's laughs and Emelie's retorts, he strolled. They were coming up close to the spot soon and troubles was bound to be around the corner. It was only constant about those badlands. Problems were always on the up and up, and their presence wasn't going to change that. No matter how special I'nu thought he was, he knew better, and he wasn't so naive.

So, with a turn, he lead them down the path and to the hotel. There they could crash, and they could laugh it up. Meanwhile I'nu would just listen...with that one ear. The other was somewhere else...listening to some song or something - who knows.

Emelie Shadowstar
Aug 11th, 2009, 09:11:47 PM
Her eyes moved from D, back to the new kid, back to her cohort and she smirked. Things were falling into place rather nicely. Not bad for a night that started off without much promise. It'd been a while since she'd gone off and done something dumb with the solider-boy and new-blood hadn't ditched them yet, which either meant he just didn't care about what happened to him...or somewhere he was vaguely interested.

Either worked for Emelie. Her actual partner would just have to deal with it. Xavier had very quickly become good at waving her off, secretly finding some way to assure she was safe, and then shaking his head at her as she'd recant the tale of the "fun' she'd gone and have.

"Boss man is never going to let me use one of the good ships for this, you know that. Means I'll have to call in a few favors, but I can get us one well enough. Seems we've got more than enough arms as far as pilot goes...this is rich, D, real rich. Easy yeah, but most flat out pilots don't like dren like this..."

She'd leave it at that. If D knew a pilot, or where to fetch one, that'd work shiny. But then there was this kid and if D faltered somehow here, maybe the mutt had some tricks up his sleeve.

D'Kor
Oct 1st, 2009, 01:58:39 PM
"Hey, you think if I had all the angles I'd let someone else in on this? Cheese and crackers...I could do this job my pretty self if a wheel or some kinda control stick worked the bigger ships. I'm only cuttin' you in on this 'cause I know you got what I don't have. Ain't you some kinda fly girl? Got that fancy space bug just for show huh?" He'd managed to keep his tone light and a smile on his face but he couldn't disguise the bite in his words. Something about the way she said "know" and "rich" just pushed the wrong buttons. Spending time on a station, in a ritzy establishment, and away from the buzz of blaster fire and stench of gutter trash living had put him in a testy mood despite his best efforts.

"Hey young-blood." There would be another smart remark, or mention of who it was that had most of his merchandise under their name, and he wasn't interested in hearing either so he kind of half hopped half skipped forward to their guide. "You fly anything big enough to hold 'bout 29 square meters of cargo?" He was going to add something else to try and coax the man into giving an affirmative when he caught sight of the hotel they were heading for. "That's the place huh? Good, all this movin's makin' me want a drink and a laugh."

I'nu
Oct 4th, 2009, 01:16:54 PM
The clouds were dirty orange. Night time was waiting. However, everything else was off-white. Buildings filled with folks. Faces out the open windows, watching, talking, some barking. The hotel was at the end of the strip. Critters crept a long the streets. Old papers and garbage flew through. A few speeders sped pass, letting out yells. Speeder bikes followed suite. Stormtroopers were perched on top of them. No one blinked. Everybody was busy with their talks, sells, or mess. A few Sullustians were crowded off by the cantina entrance. I’nu didn’t give them an eye. That would be testing boundaries.

Each step was a bounce. The feet glided over the alloy. Echo of steps reared in his ears. He stared only ahead. Wind blew from the city openings, running through his hair. It was a white and black mess of beauty. The flow ran over his face. As D’Kor came near, he moved his head smoothly over. All he gave was a look; an easy stare, gentle in the eyes, with his brows up and slightly confused.

Then, there was his smile. It was small and showing of those Cathar fangs, but too sweet a smile to be vile. Before he let out a word, he thought better. With a shrug of his shoulder, he gave D’Kor a lacksidasical face. A short laugh escaped him. Throwing his head over his shoulder, looking back at Emelie, he finally spoke.

“Yah, I got something…” He said, looking at her so unassuming.

Emelie Shadowstar
Dec 13th, 2009, 03:37:49 PM
"Oh well then everything is just shiny isn't it?"

Whatever sense of hesitation about the whole mess was starting to fade quick enough and it let whatever tiny amount of tension that was taking hold between her shoulder blades to loosen up in the slightest, a stiff drink would take care of whatever stubborn tightening would remain.

"Good thing too, I haven't flown anything bigger than a small skip in a while and I don't feel much like testing boundaries with expensive cargo, you know."

She held a cheeky smile for a bit before shaking her head.

"Doubt you boys would appreciate my flying anyway and don't think I could stand listening to you two making bad jokes about women pilots the rest of the way."

She seemed perfectly blissfully ignorant when it came to the surroundings that lead to the hotel, carefreely waving off each glance that was cast in their direction until they came to the hotel entrance where a wink was cast at the doorman against her better judgment. Emelie allowed herself a moment to question if she ever really would listen to that reasonable voice in the back of her head that would probably keep her out of trouble most days.

Her attention was quickly turned back to Ino.

"So with the big picture filling itself in I got bigger worries on my mind. Like... what's good in this place's drinkery. You're familiar with the joint, got any suggestions?"

The smirk that formed when she glanced over at D wasn't exactly the kindess expression she'd given him that evening.

"I'd ask D here, but I think he'd set me up with something that'd make most people go blind and I'd really rather have my wits about me if I've gotta go and play this for a while."

I'nu
Mar 13th, 2010, 01:29:37 PM
I'nu still didn't like to play the lead. That wasn't his nature. He didn't like to follow either. The boy was more a loner. Kept to himself. Hard not to tell in how his steps entertained his legs; they were graceful. His ease of movement wasn't for company's eyes, but a dulled, bouyant mind - as if restraining dance steps. But his father didn't teach him ballet. He learned Teras Kasi. And in those arts, drinking wasn't allowed.

His father wasn't around.

All he had were these two. One had invaded his nose, his mind, and most importantly his eyes. She called herself Emelie, but I'nu couldn't help but doubt the name at this point. The handle didn't do her justice. Exotic as it was, she was a tad too flavorful for such a name. But he hadn't heard her last name yet.

Then there was the blondie. He had a rough entrance. Clearly, not someone to mess with. Had a vibe about him that called for restraining orders, and such - I'nu rather play it cool around him. Basically, the boy was sizing them up and it showed as he twisted about smoothly on his heel and turn to him. Arms wide like some tourist guide, he directed them off to the bar to the left.

Eyes shot over. Folks watched. They always watched. New faces were new targets - for whatever scam they might pull. Problem was, neither of the two looked like the easy kind of targets the folks craved for. Aliens foamed at the mouth, men chatted about one another and chuckled. All jokes about the trio, mostly about Emelie. Inaudible sounds, but gawking eyes - that was enough to weave the tale. Nothing was going to go down, though. I'nu's presence made sure of that.

In a way, he actually was their toure guide.

"So y'both some drunks, eh?" He smirked. "Well I gotcha Emms..." He gandered over his shoulder at the bartender. Gave him a nod, and snapped. It was all a sign - I'nu picked it up in his first days on Bespin; she'd get an order of Corellian Ale in a jiff.

"..But you?"

His eyes danced over to the blonde guy. "I aint too good at orderin' a man's drink, y'know? Especially when I dont know his name." I'nu winked and put his hand out for a shake.

"The name's I'nu"