PDA

View Full Version : Taking Care.

Feral
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:00:20 PM
Feral--or rather, Apollos--parked his dingy red pick-up in the drive of the house. The truck was full of lumber, nails, glues, tools, fixtures, nuts, bolts, screws, hinges, paint, brushes, pvc pipes, and so on.

His last rampage found him holding onto quite a bit of money and since he had found Anna and her children in their run down Redención House, he took it upon himself to patch the whole thing up and make it worth the future princes and princesses of the dawning age he would bring. Then there was his Queen.

Anna Fernandez was a beautiful woman. She was limber, fit, athletic. Her brown hair and dark, lively eyes made Feral's heart pick up and his blood rush through his veins. But more than that, it was her drive and energy to do something for the mutant children of the area that attracted him to her. He was convinced that there was nothing she would not do for those children, and he hungered to be a part of it.

He began to bring the things inside that were needed for his indoor projects and noticed the house was empty. He looked at his watch--stolen--and noticed it was not yet time for the children to return from school. Jake didn't go to school and neither did Jamie. He shrugged. If they weren't here they were probably playing somewhere. But where was Anna his Queen? With them?

"Anyone home?" He called out.

Anna Fernandez
Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:19:59 AM
After talking to Jamie, Anna spent some time in her room reading a book. Jake and Aidan had disappeared, and she had a feeling that she didn't want to know what they were doing. The door slammed, and she looked at the clock. Too early for kids to be home from school. Robbie had taken the new girl, Chelsea, to class with him.

Jamie had had a teacher in service day. Anna got up out of her comfy chair, tucking her book under her arm and walking out of her room and then down the stairs. "Hola?" She looked around, and smiled as she caught sight of Apollos. "Oh, its you." She couldn't hide the relief in her voice to see a friendly face. The events of the early afternoon had her on her guard.

Anna smiled, leaning against a wall with her arms crossed. "So, you've come to patch up the place again?" Her hair fell back from her face, revealing the swelling bruise on her cheek.

Feral
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:07:40 PM
Feral nodded. "Yes, as always. I have stuff for the--" he stopped short and squinted at her face. "Is that?"

He moved closer to her and held her hair back and took a good look at her cheek. "Your face," he said, looking into her eyes with a look of concern. "You're hurt and it's swelling. Come sit down on the sofa and I will get you something for that."

He guided her over to the designated furniture as gently as he could. It was hard for him to do things like be gentle and take things easy. But he was really trying. He wanted to show the one woman he found that he admired that he cared.

Mostly he did it by fixing her house, but he needed to do something for her. And here was his chance.

He came back with the tube of ointment. He took a deep breath and put some of the ointment on his finger. "Take a deep breath. If it hurts, just let that breath out and make a wish for something good."

It was a lame line, but one that the smaller children--Jamie being the only one--but it was one that made him feel better.

Anna Fernandez
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:36:23 PM
She grinned self consciously, "I've already taken care of it..." but she let him sit her down and fuss over the little cut on her cheekbone.

"Okay, okay, I think I'll live," Anna said. "It isn't as bad as it might have been." She shook her head slowly, her face getting serious. "The Three Elevens are getting bolder. I was warned today, by about eight of them."

Feral
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:50:36 PM
Feral felt his blood boil in his veins. Those..those cattle hurting his Queen! He would take care of them later.

"Is this all that happend? Are you ok except for this bruise here?"

He shifted to her side on the sofa. He placed a hand on her back and rubbed her between the shoulder blades. She seemed to be doing fine. Still, next time he would make himself more available to protect her. She took such good care of all the children in her house, but she didn't seem to take time to take care of herself. She certainly didn't let too many people take care of her. He would do what he could. She deserved it. She was worth it.

Anna Fernandez
Jan 24th, 2009, 01:10:49 AM
The back rub felt good, but Anna couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable with the attention. Apollos was a nice man, and had been nothing but good to her and the kids of the House. He stayed over, occasionally. Not consistently. But he was intense in a way that she had rarely experienced.

She felt his focus on her acutely, and shifted away from his touch. "Sí, sí, I am fine." She brushed her hair out of her face, turning slightly on the couch so she was facing him. "Jake showed up in time to stop them. I didn't want to use my power against them, to show them they are right, we are to be feared and hated. But..." Anna shook her head, "I was wrong. I know that now."

Feral
Jan 24th, 2009, 08:45:14 AM
"Feared and hated?" Feral was of course feared and hated by most of his survivors. But of course he feigned surprise for her sake. "What about our need to live and protect ourselves?"

In the back of his mind he felt poorly. Most of the residents of the house liked him well enough, but his acclimation to harsh environments and near constant slaughter made him naturally intimidating. Combined with Feral's natural drive, it made "Apollos" a rather taxing person to be around.

"You are not wrong for wanting to show people that we are worth their respect and admiration."

He paused for a moment. "Most battles," he said at last, "Are fought and concluded before the first punch is thrown."

He knew this from experience. "The way you carry yourself into a confrontation is very important. Your will must be stronger than your opponent's will. When they see that your spirit is strong, it can be enough to make them avoid you entirely because they will fear you."

Feral stood and motioned for her to stand too. "Let me see you exude confidence and strength. Don't flex your muscles, don't even say a word. Just stand straight and tall."

Anna Fernandez
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:45:58 AM
Anna looked at him and laughed, standing up slowly. She was shorter than Apollos, and made a face as she looked up at him. "Well, maybe they will see my black eye and run away." She grinned, but did her best to sober up and put on a media cara.

Closing her eyes for a moment, she said softly, "La confianza y la fuerza ..." Anna rolled her neck, squared her shoulders, and opened her eyes. She looked at Apollos, her eyes serious, and put her head a little to one side.

After a minute she was fighting back a smile, and then grinning. "I am not very good at this, as you can see."

Feral
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:33:21 PM
Feral grinned too as naturally as she did and thumbed his nose. "No, I suppose not. But nothing we do the first time is perfect."

It was good for him to see her relaxing and smiling. It was helpful for her and for him as well. She was beautiful, despite the swelling black eye.

"It's still a few hours until all the big kids get home from school. Care to be my little helper? The porch needs new flooring and rails, there are still two bathrooms that need new toilets, the element in the water heater needs replacing. The list goes on and on."

Anna Fernandez
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:58:25 PM
Little helper? It grated on her a little how Apollos automatically set himself up as the pack leader, as though everyone else in the house was just a puppy to be trained to follow him. She knew that the young adults that wandered through the House did not like being called children. He even called her brother a kid, even though Jake was twenty-four and had been taking care of himself for years.

Sometimes she wondered if Jake had ever been a kid. He had old eyes.

"Oh, you don' need to trouble yourself. I cannot pay for new toilets, and they work pretty good." Anna smiled, "Just jiggle the handle."

She paused, "I would appreciate it if you would ask, in the future, before tearing things apart." Anna fidgeted a bit. "The other day you just came in and tore apart the back porch... I know you mean well, but this is my house, not yours."

He seemed bigger than usual, but his face was still pleasant, and she added, "Not that I don' appreciate the help with upkeep, I do, its just..." She gestured a bit helplessly.

Feral
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:07:45 PM
Feral nodded. "I am sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. Those boards were rotten and the railings were wobbly. I didn't want your house eaten alive by termites or the children fallen in and hurt."

Anger flared for a second as he explained himself, but it quickly diminished. "Besides, I already bought the toilets. I had to have them ordered so they won't be here for a few days."

Feral stepped outside onto the new struts he put into place for the new back porch. "I take care of your house because you deserve it. You take care of all these kids. Your life is full with their upkeep. You don't have time to fix this house or pay for others to fix it. You can't call a contractor. If they were to learn this was a mutant safe house, you'd be in more trouble than you bargained for."

He paused and stood perfectly balanced on two of the struts. "No one takes care of you, Anna. Not Vipul, not Jacob, not Aiden. Not me. Standing alone doesn't mean you can stand strong. So I fix your house."

He stepped off the porch to a pile of lumber he set aside and started to set the large planks on the frame, squaring them up, and driving in the nails with a nearby hammer.

Anna Fernandez
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:25:59 PM
She followed him out to the back porch, hands on her hips despite her best efforts. "Despite your beliefs, my brother takes very good care of me. And... I appreciate it, but I cannot pay you back.

"And you still need to ask before you start a project." She ran a hand through her hair, shading her eyes in the sunlight. "People are not all in favor of Redencion House, as you say, and if things are not up to code I will lose the house all together."

He was wrong, anyway, she could call a contractor. She just couldn't afford it. Anna was conflicted, needing to stand her ground before Apollos took over the whole House, but also realizing that he had fixed a lot of things that she had had to put off.

Feral
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:35:47 PM
"You will not ever have to pay me back," he said without looking up. "This is an investment in you and in the mutants to care for. This comes with no strings attached."

Feral paused as he picked up another large plank. "Your brother is very smart. He is clever, quick, and very self-aware. He has all the potential of a brilliant leader. But he is hasty and knows nothing of discretion. If he is not careful he will find he has a tendency to make things worse before they get better."

He set up two more boards and nailed them down tight. The third one had some extra length to it, so Feral drew a blade and cut it to match the others. "I was hoping we could have a bonfire in the backyard with the rotten wood. Give the house something fun to do one night. Maybe toast marshmellows or something."

He set down two more boards and secretly was glad the porch was small. "So while you are mad at me," he started, "I want to know why. Every last thing, no matter how small. And I want you to tell me how I can make it better."

He squared up the boards and nailed them down too.

Anna Fernandez
Jan 29th, 2009, 10:00:51 PM
"Ach!" Anna threw up her hands and walked back into the kitchen. She took a deep breath and tried to let it out slowly. Was she mad at him? Not especially. She ran water in the sink until it steamed hot, and scrubbed at a pan while he hammered on the porch.

After a moment she was just standing there, crying into the sink.

Feral
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:07:33 PM
Feral finished the boards for the floor surface and went to the thinner bits of wood to start the railing. He needed to cut them at an angle on one end to make them decorative. Then he would space them out between the corner posts and attach them to the planks of wood lined against the back of the corner posts. It would make the new railing sturdier and also add a bit of decoration. But he couldn't focus on the angles. Anna was eating at him.

He upset her, that much was certain. But was it all him? Had he been smart with how he handled that situation? No. He had been terrible and she had walked off in a huff.

He climbed back onto the porch and stepped quietly inside, as was his habit. He followed the sound of her voice to the kitchen and found her crying over the dirty dishes.

For the first time in a long while, Feral felt remorse at what he did. He stood in the entrance to the kitchen and watched her for a moment. He wanted to talk to her, to say something to make it better, but he didn't know what.

"Are you all right?" he said at last. It was obvious she wasn't. "Is it me, or am I just the straw that broke the camel's back?"

Anna Fernandez
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:41:11 PM
She sniffed, and wiped at her eyes as she turned to look at Apollos. "No, its not you. Just... jus' a long day."

The front door opened and Ronnie and a few other kids who were staying this week came in, running up the stairs to deposit their backpacks in their rooms. Anna wiped her eyes again, trying not to be such a mess.

Feral
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:57:48 PM
Feral nodded. The kids came in and dashed upstairs. Feral looked over at Anna, who was trying to compose herself. He walked over to her with his usual stealth an handed her a spare napkin he found in his pocket over her shoulder.

"You just take as much time to yourself as you need," he said in a low voice. "I'll make sure they have what they need and they get their homework done. You just leave it to me. If you want anything else, let me know."

Feral walked out into the living area in time to see the kids come thundering back down. "Ronnie, if you vault that banister I'll vault you out a window." He said it with a smile so the kid knew Feral wasn't being terribly serious.

He shook hands with the kids as they started to mill about. "Ok, guys. I'm bringing stuff to you today. What can I get you?"

He got them all the drinks they were looking for and a bag of chips. "Also, don't go outside on the back porch until I'm finished with it. If any of you want to help, you can. Just make sure you get your homework done first."

Feral sat on the floor next to Ronnie. "School went ok?"

And so they talked and laughed while Anna gathered herself over the sink in the kitchen.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:01:06 PM
After a few minutes Anna felt composed enough to move away from the sink, and she opened the fridge to get a can of soda. Closing it, she caught sight of an engraved invitation half-hidden by a large magnet of the state of Nevada.

"Oh, mierda," she muttered, pulling it off the fridge and causing the magnet to tumble to the ground to proclaim visit las vegas! to the tiles. Bending down to pick it up, she was surprised by Apollos re-entering the kitchen. "Oh, lo siento, sorry," she said, straightening and moving out of the way.

She looked at the invitation to a charity ball in her hand, and sighed. It was tonight. How could she have forgotten about it?

Feral
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:06:46 PM
Feral was going to get another soda from the fridge when he noticed Anna bent double picking up a magnet. She stood and he could get a good look at her face. Her tears had dried. She was doing much better. But there was something else going on.

"What's that you have there?" Feral asked.

He walked over to the fridge and looked over her shoulder. "Some kind of invitation?"

Anna Fernandez
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:12:58 PM
"Si, there's a charity event tonight in Long Beach," she said, handing him the invitation. "Redencion House is set to possibly be awarded enough money to keep us running for the next six months. A few other non-profits are in the running..."

Her voice trailed off. "I forgot it was tonight."

Feral
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:17:20 PM
Feral nodded. "Well, you definitely need to go to that. Can I do anything for you that needs to get done while you get ready?"

He retrieved the soda and popped it open. He took a long swig of the canned beverage and leaned on the counter. From his position he could watch the kids go upstairs and return with the homework they brought home.

"You will do well," he said. "Just be your beautiful, strong self."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:20:04 PM
She raised an eyebrow at that, and shook her head. "Oh, I don' know about that. But its a 'plus one' invite."

Anna looked a little impish, "I can't imagine my brother in the middle of a formal gathering. Actually, I can." She laughed softly. "But... do you want to go with me?" She felt bad for getting so upset at him earlier.

Feral
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:23:54 PM
It was Feral's turn to raise an eyebrow. "Really?"

He smiled his first happy smile that was not laced with gratification of bloodshed. "Well, yes, sure. Anything at all to help you. Will a suit suffice, or should I get a tux?"

He would have to do his best to help with the event. "Just let me know what I need to do and what these events are about."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:36:18 PM
"Oh, just a suit should be fine," she said with a wave of her hand. "And it will just be dinner, drinks... schmoozing with our betters. Nothing too difficult."

She opened her cherry coke, adding, "The benefactor, Mr. Clinton, will have already decided who is getting his grant this year. It will just be a lot of mingling before the announcement." Anna made a face, "Last year a shelter for abused women got it. Not that I begrudge them the money. But it would be nice, you know?"

Feral
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:41:53 PM
Feral raised both eyebrows at the mention of "our betters" but decided not to reveal much more. He doubted these people were seriously better than them, but he decided to feign surprise about the banquet.

"Is that really it? Well, let's see what I have in my wardrobe."

Feral didn't like that this man had already chosen who he would be rewarding, but if his presence at the party would help to ease Anna's nerves, then he would do his best.

"I will need to go back to my place to clean up. Would you like me to pick you up? Just give me the time and I'll be around. Shall I rent a nicer car too?"

Anna Fernandez
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:55:17 PM
She laughed, "Oh, no, no car. They're sending a limo for me." Anna shrugged, "Go figure, right? I'm a very important person tonight."

She made a face, "Good thing I looked at the fridge, would have been embarrassing to be surprised by a limo driver in a few hours! But if you're back at seven, that should be fine." She looked up at the ceiling as though she could see through it at her bedroom. "I think I have something appropriate to wear."

Feral
Feb 5th, 2009, 09:15:19 PM
Feral nodded. "Very well. I'm going to go get cleaned up. I'll be back at seven."

He stepped out to where the kids are and watched them all diligently doing their homework. It was unusual. "Good work, you guys. I'll see you all later."

The kids absently waved at the man.

Feral went out and bought the nicest suit he could find. He got a black tie to go with it and a silver shirt. It suited his raven hair which was greying a little at the roots. He was not very old, but the stress of his life was wearing on his hair. Once he got a new set of shoes, he was set on his wardrobe.

He got a haircut and had his beard trimmed. He looked very distinguished. Now all that was left was to shower. He went back to his place--a small apartment. It was currently vacant, but the apartment owners used it as a pre-furnished sample apartment so it always had heat and water. He made himself look great and smell awesome.

Feral put on his suit and tied his tie into an expert Double Winsor. It had been a long time, but it was like riding a bicycle. The suit fit his muscled body well. If anyone hadn't known him before hand, he looked like a well to do businessman.

With nothing else to do but meet Anna back at the house, he stepped out to his truck and drove to the House. On the way he stopped off to get Anna one of her favorite flowers. Once he had it he pulled up to the house and rang the doorbell.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:52:36 PM
Ronnie answered the door. His eyes popped at the sight of Apollos in a suit and with a haircut, but he let him in.

"Anna's upstairs," he said, around a mouthful of dinner. He, Jamie, Jake, Aidan, and Chelsea were eating Chinese food in the kitchen. Containers were piled high, and someone was fighting a chopstick war over the cashew chicken.

"I am ready," Anna called, hurrying down the stairs while putting in an earring. She was wearing a formfitting, yet flowing, strapless white dress that touched the floor. "Sorry, sorry... oh!" She looked at him, and smiled. "You look very nice, Apollos."

Feral
Feb 8th, 2009, 08:55:02 PM
Feral smiled back at Anna. She had done an impeccable job making herself beautiful. He couldn't even see where she had been cut earlier.

"You're gorgeous," he said. Then he held out the yellow rose to her. "This is for you. For earlier and for allowing me to go with you."

Ronnie was still looking at him. He turned and laughed from his gut. "Never thought old Apollos could look like this, did you? I'm surprised too."

Feral was on top of the world. He looked good, felt great, and was set to spend an evening with a woman he truly loved and admired. The House was in good order, and his people were safe. There was nothing he lacked.

"The limo should be arriving soon," he said with a glance at his watch. "Is there anything that needs to be handled here before we leave?"

Anna Fernandez
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:05:34 PM
"Oh, no, Jake and Aidan have everything well in hand," she said, looking down the hall to where Aidan was watching them with alert eyes. She waved at him, knowing he didn't really approve of her spending time socially with Apollos. He'd never said why, only that the older mutant rubbed him the wrong way.

Anna was sure he was just being over protective. Jake waved and stole a fortune cookie away from Jamie, who squealed and grabbed for it. Suddenly a shower of cookies fell from the ceiling, and the kitchen descended quickly into chaos. "We had better go, before things get worse," she laughed, grabbing a light blue wrap from the couch and shrugging into it.

Anna put her nose into the rose, and let Apollos help her out of the door as the limo pulled up.

Feral
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:15:22 PM
Feral gave another hearty laugh as the kitchen exploded in imaginary fortune cookies. He held the door open for Anna and let her out first.

Once they were on the front walk he offered his arm to her. "They have their work cut out for them," he said to her.

The limo looked surprisingly out of place in the middle of the poor neighborhood. Neighbors peered from between window blinds or stood in their doorways as the two well-dressed mutants got the fancy vehicle. The driver opened the door for them. Feral helped Anna in and went around to the other side so she wouldn't have to scoot over and risk wrinkling her dress.

"I've never ridden in a limo before," he said to her off-handedly. "This is really something."

One day he would have a limo and a driver for himself. Possibly even for Anna if she ever decided one day to be his Queen. But for tonight it was enough that she be his friend and they share one night of fun together.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:24:16 PM
She looked around, delightedly. "I bet there's some champagne in here..." Anna scooted a little, reaching for some of the empty champagne flutes that were held safely along the side of the limo.

"I think I need a drink to prepare for the party." She smiled. "Can you..?" Anna looked at the bottle on his side of the limo.

Feral
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:27:00 PM
Feral smiled. "With pleasure."

He took the bottle and opened it easily. He took one flute from her and poured the drink with precision uncharacteristic of what most House residents had seen from him.

"One perfectly poured drink for Miss Fernandez," he said and handed it back to her. Then he poured a drink for himself.

He held his drink in the air. "To parties where rich people give away money."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:43:42 PM
"Hear hear," she grinned, clinking her glass into his. "Y dar ese dinero para nosotros, por supuesto." Anna sipped her champagne, wrinkling her nose a little as the bubbles tickled it, and leaned back in the seat while the limo continued to drive.

She looked sideways at Apollos, and he caught her looking. She grinned. "You clean up good. Want to give the acceptance speech, if Redencion House is chosen?"

Feral
Feb 9th, 2009, 06:44:58 PM
"Thank you," he said in reply to her compliment, "my barber will be happy to know you like his handiwork."

Apollos turned in his seat to face Anna. "If you would like me to, I can certainly deliver the speech. Just promise me you'll come up to the podium with me if the host gives us the money then and there."

He took a sip of the champagne. It was a bubbly sort of drink that Feral was glad he didn't have to drink much of. It wasn't really his sort of drink. Still, he'd learn to love it if it meant spending more time with Anna. "You're truly a vision of beauty, Anna."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 9th, 2009, 08:24:13 PM
She blushed faintly, putting the champagne flute to her lips again. She rarely drank, so she took another tiny sip. "Gracias."

They rode in silence for a few minutes as she looked out the window at Los Santos rolling by. Bathed in what was arguably moonlight (with the smog, who could really say?) it seemed at peace. "I worry about Redencion." Anna turned her head to look at him, smiling, "But with people like you around I know that the concept will outlive this House, if anything happens."

Feral
Feb 9th, 2009, 08:33:32 PM
"Yeah?" Feral allowed himself to show a sobered attitude, but inside he was very proud. It seemed like she trusted him and accepted him. It felt good.

"Why are you worried?" He took a longer pull of the champagne, if only to get the flute empty and not have to worry about leaving it for the driver to dispose of.

Looking outside, he saw the neighborhood of Los Santos. It was poor, dangerous, run down. He thrived in these environments as Feral. He cuold terrorize people from any point of darkness, any rundown building. People could fall like flies before his claws and spikes and he could suffer no wrong. But when he was Apollos, all he wanted was to keep the children safe and make his immediate people better. He wondered which part of him was truer to his goals. Maybe both.

It worried him a little, but he decided to stay out of his head and be more present for the woman he cared for. "Tell me about your worry."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 9th, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
She shrugged, the wrap falling to one side and exposing a slim shoulder. "It isn't something I can... No sé cómo decirlo..." Anna halted, helplessly.

"With everything that happened today, I cannot help but think about the fact that one day the House will be gone." She swirled the golden liquid around in her wine glass. "Depressing, I know. Tonight should be more fun." Anna sipped, and looked out the window once more.

Feral
Feb 9th, 2009, 09:03:40 PM
Feral shrugged. "So we get it out into the open now. Let it disappear with the champagne. Then we have a good time dancing and carousing."

He paused again to take her in. She had such perfectly smooth skin. Her shoulder lay bare. She had such a wonderful feminine way about her, but yet she was so strong.

"The House might be gone one day, yes. Things get old. They get weaker. They fall over. But the building itself is strong. Maybe it will be gone one day. Maybe it will move. Maybe there will be several. But that does not mean it will be one day soon."

Apollos looked over his calloused hands. They were big and rough. Rough from fighting. Rough from building. Rough from hard times. It made him a hard person. He loved his hands. They probably more than anything were very indicative of who he was.

He offered a big calloused paw to Anna. "Nothing worth having is easy to keep. It takes a lot of work to maintain what we love and build upon what we have. It's hard. But clawing our way up from nothing to something causes us to naturally be affectionate towards what we've struggled to earn. It makes us fearful to lose them. But if we didn't have these fears, I think our valuables would be worth less."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 9th, 2009, 11:28:42 PM
Anna looked up at her companion, her amigo, and smiled. "You can be so eloquent, Apollos." She took his hand and gave it a squeeze before releasing it. "Perhaps you should give the speech for me. I hardly know what to say... and my accent..." She flushed. "I try, but I cannot get rid of it."

She finished off her champagne, and waved off a refill. It wouldn't be good to show up borracho fuera de su culo.

Feral
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:29:08 PM
Apollos appreciated her gentle touch and chuckled slightly at her blush. "But why would you want to get rid of your accent? It's only one of several unique features that makes you so incredibly attractive and a joy to be around."

He looked at her squarely in the eye--something he knew made her uncomfortable from time to time, but it was something Apollos felt had to be done when speaking on something terribly important. And she was the most important person in his entire world.

"You are fantastic just as you are now. I would not want you to be any other way than when you are naturally yourself."

He kept his voice soft and compassionate. It was a small effort. Most of his speeches like that tended to be the 'tough love' type and he often found his voice becoming clipped and hard, despite the fact that he was trying to look after someone he loved. But he managed to be gentle and genuine. Maybe he should drink champagne more often.

Of course, he didn't say what he really wanted to: I love you for it..

Anna Fernandez
Feb 11th, 2009, 02:02:47 AM
She was unused to flattery, and found Apollos' intensity a little disconcerting. Anna smiled at him, and looked away, her dark lashes thick against her cheek. "Well, thank you."

Before the moment could descend into truly uncomfortable, the limo slowed, turned into a long gated driveway. She adjusted her wrap and set her empty flute down. "I think we're here." Anna looked at Apollos, her cheeks blushing a little once again. "Ready to mingle?"

Feral
Feb 11th, 2009, 09:34:48 PM
"Always."

Apollos climbed out of the limo and beat the driver to Anna's door. He opened it for her and helped her out, letting her arm fold naturally around his. He escorted her to the door. The invitations were given to the man there and he announced them.

"I will follow your lead, Anna," he whispered to her. "I will not make any definite statements about the house or its residents unless it is something you approve. I want this to go well for you. I will take my time and get to know these people."

He smiled. "Consider me your arm candy for the evening."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 14th, 2009, 12:39:18 AM
She laughed, taking his arm. "Ciertamente, Apollos." He was so serious that it was a little funny. But, then, perhaps that was the champagne talking.

Anna and Apollos entered the house, a large one that put Redencion to shame with its pillars and trim and excellent lighting scheme. Mr. George Saunders, the ...filántropo who funded the charity, was there at the door to greet her, along with his large and rosy cheeked solterona hermana. Both in their sixties, the Saunders shook hands and greeted her warmly.

"Miss Fernandez!" George beamed, pulling her close for some very European kisses on each cheek. "You look fantastique! Thank you for coming, we are huge fans of your work in Los Santos, aren't we Beatrice?"

"Oh yes, yes," his sister gushed, sweeping Anna into a hug and then turning her attention onto Apollos. "And you found a date!" She winked at them, and then the pair had to turn their attention to the next group coming in the door.

Anna giggled a little as Apollos steered her futher into the house, "The Saunders are quite a pair, aren't they? So... jolly." They were guided into the large hall, which was lined with circular tables each laid out with crisp white linens and gorgeous spring flowers in inmaculado arrangements. In the center was a large dance floor, with a few couples already taking advantage ofit.

Feral
Feb 14th, 2009, 12:50:30 AM
Feral nodded absently. There was a dance floor, a few tables. A palce to get small snacks and drinks. He wasn't entirely sure what to make of it all. The music was playing something classical sounding. He stopped to find the beat and measure.

"Yes, they are quite something," he said. He watched the other people on the floor and decided to take a chance. He turned to his date and smiled.

"Would you like to share a dance, Anna?"

Anna Fernandez
Feb 14th, 2009, 01:04:30 AM
Anna looked around, and was about to refuse, but something in Apollos' eye made her pause. "I would be happy to," she said, smiling. "Dinner won't be served for a little bit.

He walked her out to the floor after stopping off at the table they were assigned to so she could drop off her clutch and wrap. He pulled her towards him gently, taking her hands as they fell into a waltz-like rhythm.

Anna looked at him, found him staring at her quite unabashedly, and looked down. Then she looked back. "I am so thankful that you found us, Apollos."

Feral
Feb 14th, 2009, 01:21:06 AM
Apollos turned his gaze away from her partly to make sure he didn't steer her into other couples and partly out of respect for how easily her personal space was disturbed by forward displays of any magnitude. He didn't understand it quite, but he wanted her to feel safe and welcome near him. He wanted her to like him, and like being around him. He wanted her to feel safe and happy when he was close, not feel nervous and watched.

"I'm thankful that you found me, too."

He felt a little wistful. "I still remember when we met. Just walking down the street and it was a hot day out. Trying to find this place that is supposed to take in and care for mutants. See what I can do to help?"

He turned them in a circle. "I brushed by you and suddenly it felt much much colder. It must have been over 100 out there and I felt like it was early fall. So I turned to you and like a bulldozer charging straight ahead I asked if you were a mutant and if you knew about this house that takes in homeless mutants with no place to go."

Feral actually turned red with slight embarrassment. "You smiled so evenly and pointed right at your house."

Anna Fernandez
Feb 15th, 2009, 10:03:00 PM
She laughed, "The look on your face!"

Anna let him turn her around the dance floor a few more times but as the music ended she said, "We should sit, I think dinner is soon." He led her back to their table and pulled her chair out for her. Senorita Saunders came over, beaming.

She sat next to Apollos. "Anna, Anna, where did you find this one?" Beatrice reached across Apollos to give Anna a little conspiratorial push. "So handsome."

"Miss Beatrice Saunders, this is Apollos, a good friend." Anna grinned at the look on his face as the older woman leaned close to him.

Feral
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:18:22 PM
Apollos shook hands with the woman and kept his composure, though his smile was tight. "Thank you, ma'am. I just do the odd job for Anna at the Redencion House."

The woman held a clear and present interest in him. Was he like this? He'd have to tone down. It was not something he expected to find here.

"So tell me about yourself, Miss Saunders."

He looked back at Anna for a brief moment and mouthed, "I'm sorry if I'm this pushy," and returned to the woman.

He wondered if she was just sitting down to chat, or if she would be having dinner next to him. He knew that at certain events a host would imply his favored guests by seating arrangement. If this were the case, then things looked very hopeful for Anna.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:47:52 PM
"Oh, well, not much to tell, really," but Beatrice settled in for the long haul, despite the fact that she was seated at the head table, and was displacing someone else for the time being as she chatted incessantly to Apollos.

Anna smiled, and excused herself to find the restroom. Apollos shot her a look that said 'don't leave me!' but some things couldn't wait. She determined to hurry back, however.

On the way back from the ladies room, she ran into a group of people from one of the other charities Mr. Saunders was considering. "Hello," she said, smiling, but was given the cold shoulder.

She heard someone muttering something about mutant garbage, and her smile froze on her face. Unsure of what to do, she turned around and walked back to her table. Beatrice was still talking.

Feral
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:29:51 PM
Feral kept an eye focused on the direction Anna had gone. She paused for a moment outside of a small gathering of people and stopped for a moment, then continued on. He wondered what happened. Perhaps discrimination occurred at charity balls as well.

"That's very interesting, Miss Saunders," Apollos said and stood again when Anna came back to the table. He gain arranged her seat for her as she sat down.

"Well," Miss Saunders said, "it's nearly time for them to serve the meal, so I need to get to my seat."

The lady moved to the head of the table, leaving Apollos with Anna. "What a lady. I wonder what they're going to serve for dinner?"

The meal was soon set before them. A tenderloin, potatoes au gratin, a salad with a strawberry vinaigrette dressing, and for the dessert course a slice of cheesecake with a raspberry drizzle.

Though Apollos tried to have conversation with the other people at the table, there was not much outside of the usual small talk--a person's name, organization, and the role that person played in the organization. Several of them were coordinators or administrators of some sort. But none of them seemed interested in speaking with the two representatives for the mutant charity. It was fine with Apollos. He just wanted to speak more with Anna.

The couple made some of their own usual small talk--day to day life, the news, Jamie's school work, Jake's job hunt, and the comings and goings of young mutants to the house.

Once the dinner was finished, Mr. Saunders stood and opened the floor for dancing until he was ready to announce the recipient of his charity donation.

Feral wiped his mouth and made sure the crumbs were out of his beard. He stood and offered Anna a helping hand out of her seat. The music was starting. Some sort of jazz ensemble. Not his cup of tea. The couple made their best at it until the song was over. Then the band struck up a tune that Feral immediately recognized: the tango.

"You know how to tango, Anna?" he asked, already guiding her into the basic step.

Anna Fernandez
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:17:51 PM
Dinner was delicioso. Anna dabbed the last bit of raspberry sauce from her lips with a napkin, and took Apollos' hand as he led her out to the dance floor for some dancing.

She didn't get to dance very often, but was quite good at it. As a child she'd been schooled in all the latin dances, and found that the steps came back to her easily. "Tango? But of course." She winked at him, her feet following his deftly.

Feral
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:39:20 PM
Apollos laughed a little and put some extra energy into the steps. "That's good. I'm tired of being ignored. Let's make it so they can't act like we're not around."

The Tango was one of Feral's favorite Latin dances for its passion, energy, and sophistication. When he saw two people performing it in Madrid, he knew he had to learn how to do it. The man moved with such boldness and vivacity and his partner moved in such a fluid and sensual manner that spoke of poise, control, and a love and respect for herself. Her hips, her legs, all of it held him in thrall until the dance was over.

Two of the most useful normal people he had ever met. The next time he tore Madrid apart, he passed them over and let them live.

Feral cycled the basic step twice to get the rhythm of the song and started to turn, spin and move Anna about the floor, leading her into moves that complimented her well.

Soon nothing else existed in Feral's entire world but Anna. Her energy, reading her body and how she tensed and relaxed. It was possible he was finally starting to understand her. The wild mutant had never been good at communicating with words, but all the time spent fighting helped him to read body language well.

Maybe he could finally begin to understand her. Even more, maybe she could understand him as well.

Anna Fernandez
Mar 5th, 2009, 11:55:41 PM
Anna quickly caught on to what Apollos was doing, and followed him lightly around the floor as they danced. Each grew familiar with the skill of the other, and soon they were dancing circles around everyone else, giving into the complicated and passionate rhythms of the dance.

He pulled her up against his body, and she looked up into his eyes, her's shining brightly. Anna spun away, still attached to her partner by their hands, and then they fell back into the tango. Breathless, she put all of her energy into the dance, leaving nothing for words as he continued to lead her.

Feral
Mar 6th, 2009, 08:14:05 PM
As Apollos pulled her close to him for a particular dance step, their eyes met. For an eternal minute he got lost in those big beautiful eyes. He smiled and led her through several complicated steps.

He didn't look at them, but he knew they were no longer moving and in fact had moved back to give them room. Not a single person in the place was looking away from them.

The song neared its end. Apollos brought Anna back to him and finished the dance with a well timed dip. Feral kept his eyes locked on to hers for the dip, knowing that her one foot would be tracing he curve of her calf--the final show of how passionate and sensual a dance the Tango was.

Silence held for a second as they maintained the posture. Finally Apollos stood Anna upright and smiled. His face was flushed and he felt a little moist from perspiration. Still, that was the most fun he had enjoyed since as far back as he could remember.

Anna Fernandez
Apr 6th, 2009, 05:38:34 PM
Anna raised an eyebrow and smiled mysteriously as the dance finished, trying not to grin like an idiot. The tango was serious business. Feeling warm, she patted her cheek with the hand Apollos was not holding. "Well, I think we have drawn enough attention."

He smiled down at her, and led her back to their table. Halfway there she stumbled a bit, feeling dizzy, and clutched at his arm for support.

Feral
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:11:45 PM
He felt exhilarated. They walked back to the table amidst applause. She stuimbled and held on to him. He held her up with gentle strength.

"Are you ok, Anna?"

He helped her to her seat and set her down in it, then handed her her water glass. At that point he didn't care about the money. He already was enjoying something far more valuable--an incredible evening with Anna.

It wasn't long before their host was at the podium, giving his preamble before making the long awaited announcement. Apollos took Anna's hand and gave it a squeeze, reassuring her when he knew her heart would be racing to hear what the man had to say.

Anna Fernandez
Apr 7th, 2009, 10:21:53 PM
ooc: she put her hand on her own cheek, silly/ic:

Anna nodded that she was fine, but was glad when they found their seats. She sipped her ice water as George Saunders took the podium and started talking. Like he was wont to do, he rambled a bit about his family and his money, and his charity work.

She found herself tuning out, despite herself. The dance had tired her more than she had expected, and she was surprised when everyone started clapping and Apollos was beaming at her. "You got it, Anna!"

"What?" She looked around, saw George gesturing her to the podium, and realized that she'd missed hearing Redencion House being named as the recipient of the Saunders grant. Anna flushed as the others at their table congratulated her, and got to her feet and made her way forward. No viaje y el otoño, Anna...

She made it up without incident, and shook George Saunder's hand. "Gracias, thank you, thank you."

"Would you like to say a few words?" The pink cheeked older man gestured to the microphone, which looked slightly menacing to her.

"Si," Anna was flustered, but managed to eke out a sentence or two about the House, and how thankful she was for the grant to keep the lights on for another year. "The children thank you, Mr. Saunders, for your generosity. As go I. Dios los bendiga." She clutched at the framed certificate she'd been given, and picked her way through the tables back to her seat amongst the applause of those gathered.

Feral
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:38:03 PM
ooc: fixed :)

Apollos stood and embraced her when she got back to her seat. He whispered congratulations in her ear and sat her down. He couldn't be more proud if he tried to be. There were handshakes and other well-wishes for Anna. Apollos caught some collateral and wound up shaking hands with the people too.

At last it was over and they could leave. Apollos walked with Anna out to the waiting limo. He made sure she was comfortable inside before going to his side and climbing in.

"Think you can remember how to breathe now that the anxiety is over?" he asked with a slight chuckle.