PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: set your character wiki page as homepage in your profile

Thall
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:13:08 PM
One thing I've noticed is that a fair number of character usernames don't have a homepage set in their profile.

Just an idea - I've been reading through a number of the roleplays in both RP forums and enjoying them a lot :). Usually, whilst reading the threads I've been going to the wiki and manually searching and looking up the character pages people have put up there to get up to speed with their background and all.

Some people have already done this (I've done this with Thall), and I think it provides a simple way for someone (ie. me :p) to access the character's wiki page if they ever want to read up on it (assuming you HAVE a page for your character - you do, don't you? ;)).

Of course some people already have another homepage set and that's fine :) - just an idea for those who haven't.

(for those who are unaware, to set your homepage go to User CP > Edit Profile > Homepage URL box)

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:20:14 PM
I have done this with most of my characters, at least those who have wiki pages ^_^;

Thall
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:25:41 PM
:: gives Dasq a cookie :: :)

Tear
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:40:24 PM
Im wiki challenged.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:17:16 PM
That's a really good idea.

Sorsha Kasajian
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:40:46 PM
I'm far too disorganized for this. I don't even have wikis. :lol

Tear
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:55:09 PM
It's a good idea I just have to read the instructions and figure out how to ...wiki.:lol

Thall
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:10:46 PM
I'm not that good with the wiki setup either (specifically the template for character pages). After mucking around with it for an hour or so in the end I just went and copied Arya Ravenwing's (http://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php?title=Arya_Ravenwing) wiki page and replaced her bio/pics with my own. :lol

Nya Halcyon
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:25:00 PM
Good idea! I had the same thought a while back but forgot all about it again. I'll add all mine over the weekend

Estelle Russard
Jan 21st, 2009, 10:33:20 PM
Thall, thats a great idea.

Tear - get your wiki on man. Even I did it (I did the copy way too!).

Thall
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:26:45 PM
I should probably add that if you don't feel comfortable using the wiki, just post your bio here in a new thread and I'm sure someone else will kindly set it up for you. :) Probably want to check out some pre-existing wiki pages just so you know what content is typically made available so you have it handy (eg. height, aliases, age, weight, ships, parents, background info etc etc etc).

(honestly, setting it up is probably the hardest part - once that's done editing it from then on is quite simple)

Hera
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:00:13 PM
Tear - I started you a page. Its just bare bones, but my name is in it prominently, as is only fitting :p

ps) I had trouble linking the RP thread links. I kept going in circles with it spread half over the content box. I gave up and left it to you. Sorry.

Captain Untouchable
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:04:02 PM
I should probably add that if you don't feel comfortable using the wiki, just post your bio here in a new thread and I'm sure someone else will kindly set it up for you. :) Probably want to check out some pre-existing wiki pages just so you know what content is typically made available so you have it handy (eg. height, aliases, age, weight, ships, parents, background info etc etc etc).

(honestly, setting it up is probably the hardest part - once that's done editing it from then on is quite simple)

I'm totally addicted to fiddling with wiki's; if anyone wants me to faff around with 'em on their behalf, I'd be more than happy to. :)

Tear
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:43:48 PM
Tear - I started you a page. Its just bare bones, but my name is in it prominently, as is only fitting .

Codename

Hera's slave

Aliases

Hera's pathetic slave
Hera's kicked like a dog slave

Out of Character
Tear is a loveable teddy bear in real life. And is short, and has a hunchback.

You cheeky monkey...:lol

Adelaide Kasperian-Kazaar
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:44:40 PM
Oh...the power of the EDIT button! :lol

Oh! and CU - you are welcome to faff around on the new Russard Industries page I am going to start...erm...shortly. :)

The wiki'ing is actually harder than I remembered it being.

Thall
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:49:47 PM
I just did a quick edit of Tear's page myself - I got the link for the RP working correctly, though you're gong to have to double check the tags on it (currently [IMP] [DARK]) as I only had a quick scan of the thread so am unsure of all the allegiances of the participants.

EDIT: Tear's been editing at the same time as me LOL - fortunately it didn't overwrite my corrections. :lol

Tear
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:52:12 PM
I just did a quick edit of Tear's page myself - I got the link for the RP working correctly, though you're gong to have to double check the tags on it (currently [IMP] [DARK]) as I only had a quick scan of the thread so am unsure of all the allegiances of the participants.

I just saw that. Looks great Thall thanks! The tags seem good to me. Much appreciated :D Anyone who wants to fiddle around in my wiki page feel free by the way. (that sounded odd didn't it?)

Thall
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:00:42 PM
No probs. :) I've also uploaded your avatar here onto the wiki and used it for you datasheet pic - gets rid of that silly "Image.jpg" message there. :lol

PS. Don't forget to set your wiki page as your homepage too! (the original point of this thread) :)

Atreyu
Feb 17th, 2009, 06:13:48 PM
::bump::

Been nearly a month since I originally posted this, and there has been a bit of a flurry in new characters being registered and setup, so thought it would be a good reminder. :)

Charlotte Tur'enne
Feb 17th, 2009, 07:44:06 PM
Yeah yeah...I'll get to it one of these days :p

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:47:39 AM
You have half of yours written already.. no excuse :mneh

Thall
Feb 19th, 2010, 05:29:11 PM
bumpity bumpity bump :D

With all these new people here thought it might be worthwhile to re-up this suggestion. :)

(and shamelessly test my new avatar - I was going through the avatars at the TOR website and saw this one and just knew I had to steal it for Thall :cool:)

Taataani Meorrrei
Feb 19th, 2010, 05:44:01 PM
I need to do this, but I am so lazy and wiki format is hard to adopt for a stick in the mud like me.

I keep telling myself I'll use a lazy weekend to do it

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:12:06 PM
I never did this :o

Thall
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:23:23 PM
Naughty! :twak

:p

O.W. Outcast
Feb 20th, 2010, 07:29:29 AM
I need to con someone into making wiki pages for me.

Rossos Atrapes
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:09:44 AM
Is there still a wiki-(editing)-party at Tear's (page)?

Tear
Feb 20th, 2010, 02:28:24 PM
Is there still a wiki-(editing)-party at Tear's (page)?

Haha be all means. Just hit me with a PM if you change or edit anything so I know whats going on.;)

Atreyu
Sep 6th, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Friendly reminder, especially with all these new-fangled Myth characters running around. :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 6th, 2010, 11:35:13 PM
I did all mine! :dance

Easy account switching made the difference and helped me get it done. :D

Atreyu
Oct 20th, 2015, 06:24:19 AM

With the wiki receiving some renewed interest (thanks Captain! :)) and all these new characters running around, just pushing this back up as a friendly suggestion (if you don't have a homepage set already). :)