PDA

View Full Version : New character idea that MAY be overpowered?

Boulder
Jan 12th, 2009, 06:13:15 PM
I would like some feedback on this. I was brainstorming at work, and came up with the idea for a mutant who's power is to adapt to any attack thrown at them, and if the attack is not fatal, to become immune to it. I was informed a little while ago that Spider-Man created a character named Freak like that.

I.E.- He get's shot in the arm, lives, heals, and adapts so that his body can never be hurt again by the particular type of bullet that struck him when fired from the particular type of gun that shot it. Since the weapon and round type dictate the impact, spin of the bullet, etc, the same round in a different weapon would have a different effect, and therefore would penetrate.

This however, has the potential to become an invincible character. Without any augmented strength or flight or anything else, it MAY be a viable character, but I'm still not sure.

Tell me what you think please. =D

Anna Fernandez
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:15:02 PM
Um, I'm not sure. Seems like a lot of power to me, but it could be rped well, I think... :)

Carlos Calaveras
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:17:05 PM
Well, he still isn't invincible. It's possible that an attack could kill him before he became immune to it, after all.

Anna Fernandez
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:20:39 PM
It would just be a matter of finding the right attack :D

Ben Merasska
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:21:00 PM
I think it could be done. Just give him weaknesses in other areas, i.e., not very smart or observant, and thus is easily controlled; or that he's not very powerful, but just insanely hard to kill.

Aidan Fox
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:38:16 PM
Hmm... my main reservation is that it seems a bit over-specific. I mean, how does his body know the difference between a .30 caliber round from a pistol and the same caliber round from a rifle? What about getting hit over the head with a plank of wood as opposed to a log? Getting hit by a '97 Civic or a '96 Corolla? Falling into a fire vs. getting blasted by a fire mutant?

I like the idea of an adaptive ability, but I think it'll be easier to play and less restrictive if you can come up with a simpler way to set the rules. Even if it's just that he evolves new protections as he heals from injuries - stronger bones, thicker skin, immunities to poisons and diseases. Of course, there's also the potential that he gradually develops into a monster that way.

I'm personally less concerned with you making a character that's too powerful than I am with you finding good storytelling opportunities. Make him a solid, believable character, and the rest is icing. And if you end up needing an uber-powerful opponent, there are a few out there (Saladin, Zero, Cannon, Abomination if she's still around) who could oblige.

EDIT: It would be a different matter if this were a more combat-oriented RP board, but I've always felt the currency on Fans was storytelling and character development, not HP and XP. Demigods and average Joes both have their places in such a story, and it's less important what powers you give your character than it is what you do with them. :)

Anna Fernandez
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:21:48 PM
^^ what he said :)

"we" will basically let you get away with just about any power, it just is a tool to be used in the process of telling a compelling story about a person. :)

Boulder
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:45:21 PM
Ah hah. I see. Going along the lines of evolving is probably a lot better than "specific" immunities. I think you are right in that it would help show an evolution of a character. But yes, this character would be nothing special other than them being insanely hard to kill. No super strength, or flight, or anything else over the top, just a very good defense.

Good to know. Thanks for your input. Now...to figure out age, gender, appearance, and background. lol