PDA

View Full Version : I Gotsa' Job

Khendon Sevon
Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:54:19 AM
Exactly what the title says.

It came down to taking an offer from Electronic Arts in Los Angeles or THQ in NYC.

The EA offer was for the Medal of Honor team doing entry level systems programming (engine and tools work). I would've been living in Los Angeles and making some pretty serious bank. I interned with MoH and they're a bunch of amazing men and women.

The THQ offer was for Kaos Studios in NYC. They made Frontlines: Fuel of War, a Battlefield-like game. They're a much smaller studio. I did some interviews with them, had lunch, and know a few employees over there. Honestly? I've never met a bunch of guys that had so many great things to say about their employer before.

I accepted the THQ offer officially and declined the EA one on Friday :) Mainly because Kaos has a wonderful small-team, independent feel that appealed to me. Not for any fault of the EA team (they're amazing guys and I'd love to work with them again in the future!)

So, in June I'll be doing primarily tools programming for Kaos Studios in NYC :) Yayz.

I'll also be getting my masters degree in software engineering via online classes at my current college as I work. Yay for continuing education.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:23:13 AM
Congratulations! Fuel of War was fun to watch my brother play. :p

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:54:27 AM
Congrats. It sounds like you made a great choice :)

Crusader
Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:21:45 PM
KAOS are the guys behind Desert Combat for BF1942 formerly known as Trauma Studios. I really loved their work at this time.
Fuel of War was a pretty strong entry considering that this was their first independent production.
I think you made the right decision since those guys seem to have a vision and you you have the chance now to contribute to this vision.
So congrats and good luck!

Miranda Tarkin
Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:22:49 PM
yay congratulations!

Hartus Kenobi
Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:50:00 PM
congrats dude. Sounds great.

Khendon Sevon
Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:19:52 PM

Best part of staying in NYC is that I already know a slew of people there. My sister lives on the east side and works ten blocks away from me, my current girlfriend will be finishing her last year across the Hudson in Hoboken (15 min Path ride from where I'll be working ~ she also might intern in Manhattan), my buddy Nick is going to be interning in the Bronx possibly, etc.

I <3 NYC.

Peter McCoy
Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:39:47 PM
Congrats dood. I was wondering how exactly the creative side of games are handled. Do they have in-house writers who come up with a story/concept, or does the game mechanic come first. I'd love to write games from a creative writing point of view. The guy who writes all the WoW lore and background info must be on Cloud Nine.

Hera
Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:16:36 PM
Congratulations Khendon, well done!

That is very exciting. :)

Morgan Evanar
Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:23:05 PM
That sounds like a great job. I'm a bit jealous :o

Khendon Sevon
Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:35:37 PM
Congrats dood. I was wondering how exactly the creative side of games are handled. Do they have in-house writers who come up with a story/concept, or does the game mechanic come first. I'd love to write games from a creative writing point of view. The guy who writes all the WoW lore and background info must be on Cloud Nine.

It depends on the team/studio/project, really. There can be a dedicated writer, or there might not be. I've met designers that write their own dialogue or take what someone else wrote and are given license to change it as much as they like.

MMO's can have writers/mission designers.

Honestly, though, getting the job of writer for a game is virtually impossible. There are so few openings and... it's such a random job.

If you're interested in the creative side, design is the way to go. They're the guys that come up with mechanics, build levels, and so on. I have a lot of good friends that are designers.

Tear
Dec 24th, 2008, 02:04:33 AM
Generally its the position of "Game Designer",

They come up with the concept, story, and gameplay mechanics in one big sort of 'bible' called a 'design document'. Its pretty much the guidelines for the entire game more or less. I know a few studios who hire out people to specifically do the dialogue/story but its rare. Most of the time its an in house team that does it all. If you want to get into game design the best thing for you to do generally its make ...well games. Make levels for unreal tournament, half life, or if you know a 3d program like Maya or 3ds max make levels. If your level is attractive, interesting, unique or just plain fun there is a good chance you can get hired on as a junior designer.

Or join a mod design team for any big community game. Thats a good way to pat up your portfolio too.

Welcome to the industry Khendon!

Liam Jinn
Dec 24th, 2008, 02:07:24 AM
Way to go.