PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Winter

Shield
Dec 14th, 2008, 10:48:59 PM
11:42 PM December 12, 2008

University of Chicago

The snow sheeted down from the black sky in large flakes that glowed orange in the streetlamps. A generous layer already blanketed the carefully manicured campus of the University of Chicago, drifting off the red-tile roofs and piling in the colonnades. But most of the student body had already left for the winter break, leaving only a few hundred faculty and graduate students entrenched in their offices and laboring over the fall semester grades and their own research projects. The campus streets were sparsely traveled at this hour, especially in the middle of a hard December snowfall.

But the weather didn't matter to Dr. Michael Saint-Louis and his team of graduate assistants deep beneath the High-Energy Physics building. Drs. Chiang and Roebuck had already retired for the night, preferring to sleep in their offices upstairs rather than dig their cars out of the parking lot, but Dr. Saint-Louis knew he couldn't sleep - they were so close to a breakthrough he could practically taste it.

"Dr. Mike! I found some coffee!"

Sarah Ackleman - the brightest graduate student Michael had, he couldn't wait to see her in print in the Journal of Applied Physics - drifted into the lab carrying a steaming pot of black coffee. Michael set his pen down and reached for his mug, which was already coated in a tan patina.

"Oh, Sarah, you are a saint," Michael said, taking the pot in hand.

Sarah gave him a mercurial smile. "Aren't you an agnostic?"

"Dr. Faulkner down in Divinity tells me that, before he's had his morning coffee, he's an atheist," Michael replied, pouring an oily cup-full. "Right before I put my theories to a test, I like to hedge my bets."

He took a cautious sip and made a face - it was awful, like leftover spills squeezed through a dishrag. Sarah winced in empathy. "Sorry," she said, "I looked in every breakroom and that was all I could find. I could try running to Seven Eleven--"

Michael waved her off. "Don't bother. It was coffee like this that got me through grad school. Of course, that's about the time my hair fell out."

Sarah laughed and slid into a nearby task chair. "Sanjay was around here somewhere--"

"I sent him to feed the latest resistance patterns into RADMOL. I figured we could use some more simulations for the computers to crunch."

The lab door swung open to admit an Indian grad student holding a thumb drive. "Dr. Saint-Louis!"

"Ah! Just what I was looking for." Michael took the thumb drive and plugged it into his laptop. In seconds he'd loaded up a complex circuit map and a flood of data. The two grad students leaned over the professor's shoulder.

"My God, look at that," Sarah said. "Is that right? Ninety-four percent efficiency?"

"And look at the capacitance levels," Sanjay said. "Almost thirty percent higher than we've ever seen before."

"Then... is that it?" Sarah said. "Do we... Have we got it?"

Michael assimilated the data wordlessly. Then he got up and crossed the lab to an airtight cabinet built into the wall, guarded by a nine-digit keypad. He punched in a code and opened the outer door.

Inside the sterile container was a bank of trays. Delicately, he slid one out into the open. It held a sheet of foam with four shaped recesses; inside each recess was a wafer of glossy black material with a nonreflective pattern etched in, almost like a solar cell. He lifted one of the wafers in his hand as if it were as fragile as morning frost, more precious than diamond.

Because it was. What Michael held in his hand was nothing less than the answer to the waste of the Nuclear Age.

He stared at his dual reflection in the mirror-smooth surface. "There's only one way to find out."

Flux
Dec 18th, 2008, 09:30:51 AM
There was a big time field trip coming up for Flux's school. His science class was going out of state. To where!?

"Shikaka. ShiKAka. Shiiiiiishkebab. Shawshank Redemption. CHI-CA-GO!"

None of his retarded mundane classmates had gotten the reference. Blah. His Brothers had at least pretended to laugh at it during Rock Band the night before. Geryon was the perfect drummer. Armed with 4 drumsticks, there was no song he couldn't tackle. Tron, with his custom rig, could slay guitar without even looking at the notes. Boomer, as it turned out, had a great singing voice and didn't mind holding the mic. Flux, on Bass, had enough raw tenacity to keep up.

And now he was perched on the roof of his hotel, wishing he were home doing that or plotting actual Brotherhood stuff instead of sitting here in Chicago, without them or Banner (who he hadn't seen in AGES) to go running around with him.

"Let's just get this over with."

Flux yanked his mask on and leapt out to the next building. He knew the route to the University of Chicago already. They'd done a tour of it earlier, which wasn't really that informative outside of their guide boasting about their government grants and crap. He needed to vent some frustration, and there was nothing like busting mundane fratboy heads to help it.

Vipul Chandrashekar
Jan 12th, 2009, 11:11:28 PM
Vipul shuddered in the cold as he finished his cigarette, wondering at the futility of having a smoke to warm up in this abominable weather. Mid drag, he gave up, tossed it away, and headed back inside the research building to the lab.

Vipul, or Rajpat Shetty as his Chicago alias went, was cast in with the lot of the rest of these masochist student-scientists, and the entire air of the building had been one of delirious sleep deprivation and insatiable excitement. Rajpat returned to the lab, still shaking the cold from his bones.

He paused at the sight of the group crowded around.

"Is that what I think it is?"

Shield
May 31st, 2009, 11:17:21 PM
Michael didn't take his eyes off the glistening wafer - he knew all his students by voice now, anyway. Rajpat might've been new to the program, but already Michael counted him as indispensable. Engineering background, apparently, yet he didn't seem to mind going in for the theoretical voodoo that had been occupying Dr. Saint-Louis's research efforts for the past few months. Michael had even caught him with an advanced cellular chemistry textbook just a few weeks ago, opened to the section on radical mutation. He'd been meaning ask Raj about that.

"I sure hope so," the professor replied. "What do you say we load up the radiation chamber?"

They weren't short on eager assistants, but Michael was particular about equipment as dangerous as a radiation gun. He took the microreactor into the hot zone himself and wired up the generator and a dozen various sensors and spectrometers to its circuit-covered obverse. The other side, covered in black, radiation-absorptive crystals, directly faced the end of a short, innocuous-looking tube. With a push of a button, the lead shield inside the tube would fall away, exposing a payload of radioactive material and funneling the deadly particles and rays like a water hose.

Michael stepped out of the radiation chamber and swung the massive, shielded hatch shut behind him. He lifted the walkie-talkie off his belt. "How are we looking in there? We have telemetry yet?"

Vipul Chandrashekar
Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:12:36 PM
Vipul sat down at the control station and pulled up a program that was designed to calculate energy absorption relative to particle saturation. The trick was always about making sure that the "bleed" was within general safe parameters. All heavy volatile particles would have to be neutralized, and whatever radiation wasn't picked up would need to be within the safe long term allowance of rads.

"We're recording now. Primary and secondary sensors are on."

Vipul leaned forward, partaking of the strong coffee himself to shake off the chill in his bones.

"Joule output is go, Millirads are go, Temperature in the chamber, 19.5 degrees celsius."

He looked up from the readout, and slowly nodded.

"We're ready."