PDA

View Full Version : The Queen and I

Salem Ave
Dec 13th, 2008, 07:27:32 AM
<dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;">It had always been a difficult thing, to secure long moments of Adraudia Basille's time. Whilst most monarch's served as little more than figureheads for their state, the Queen of Onderon preferred a more hands on approach. Iziz City was her home and its people like her family; she cared deeply for them all and thus wanted to make sure that every decision made was made in their best interests. It had been this great passion to protect the people that Salem Ave had relied upon, in his efforts to make an apprentice of the Queen. </dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;"> Yet, in recent times, though she was always a Queen, she had very rarely been his student. Though her position of power afforded both Adraudia and her Prime Minister influence and privacy, they could also be subject to a great deal of surveillance. Adraudia especially had her movements regulated and monitored heavily by the Royal Guard, who feared for her life if she so much as considered setting foot outside the city walls. Salem grew tired of it, and he imagined that Adraudia herself did too. Change was necessary.</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;"> The doors to the Queen's private study swung silently open, the guardsman at the threshold giving a nod of approval.</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;"> “Mr. Ave, her Majesty will see you now...”</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 13th, 2008, 10:29:19 AM
Queen Basillie was genuinely pleased to see the Prime Minister enter. It had felt as if months had passed since they had the luxury of speaking to one another in private. Her training had become lax, unfortunately, due to the Mandalorian peace treaty, and soon after that, the treaty with Hapen Consortium. In the grand scheme of their plans, Adraudia was exactly were she needed to be, but at the cost of her continued Apprenticeship under Callidus.

"Prime Minister Ave," she rose from behind the great oaken desk, carved from the finest trees surrounding Iziz. Once the door closed, she gave a respectful nod. "Master."

Their relationship was unique due to Basillie's position on Onderon. They both held their share of power and respected each others unique place as either Monarch or Master of the Force. Even as the Apprentice Darth Creas, Callidus regarded her with special appreciation that was not often seen with other students of his.

Salem Ave
Dec 13th, 2008, 10:58:26 AM
<dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;">Salem inclined his head as he gave a bow, that of minister to monarch. For each of his apprentices, he had adapted a unique and precise method of interaction and instruction. What worked with Razielle did not work with Lilaena, and Adraudia was no different. Their continued alliance relied upon Ave's respect for his Queen, which she returned in kind.</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; font-weight: normal; text-align: left;"> “I'm not interrupting anything important, am I?” he asked, in his usual aloof manner.</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 13th, 2008, 11:10:46 AM
She smiled with good humor. "Of course you are."

Her Majesty's hand made a wide sweeping gesture across her desk. "There's not a moments rest, but I'm glad to see you. Unless ...

Adraudia eyed Salem with some uncertainty, "... Something is amiss?"

Salem Ave
Dec 13th, 2008, 11:18:15 AM
<dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">“This is Onderon... there's always something amiss,” Salem replied, matching her smile from moments ago. Without invitation, he seated himself in the chair opposite to Adraudia's, his eyes touching upon the various documents strewn across the desk for only a moment. It was clear she had a lot to deal with, so he decided to cut straight to the point. The smile faded.
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> “Your... duties as Queen are interfering with your training.”</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 13th, 2008, 11:26:11 AM
"I know," she sighed heavily and sat back down. "There are many fires to put out with that damnable Queen Mother still, but of course she makes them seem like favors with her viciously sweet lying tongue. On top of that, I've been in charge of the Hapan fleet and attempting to oversee our new trading agreements along with Dejan."

Adraudia flicked a datapad away with a finger and frowned. "I accept that my duties as Queen has grown considerable lately and that Onderon will flourish, but I dislike how the Court continues to tighten my leash further."

With new treaties comes new threats, or so they said. Security had tightened thrice fold and the only time she had been outside of the Palace was through Victer's trickery.

Salem Ave
Dec 13th, 2008, 11:31:45 AM
<dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">There was more than a hint of resentment to her tone. Adraudia loved her planet and her people, but it was clear that even she tired of her enslavement to formality.</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> “Having you all but caged here is counter-productive to our goals. There will come a time, no doubt sooner than either of us expect, when you will need to leave Onderon... on business that can't be discussed with the rest of the Court.”</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 13th, 2008, 11:38:27 AM
"Easier said then done. The Court is so fearful of change that the slave me to my throne, here, on Onderon." Adraudia cleared her throat and looked up at Salem with narrowed slits, trying to gauge her Master's reaction. He was difficult to read, but there were times when she could get a fleeting understanding of his true emotions. "I'm not sure if you've heard but Victer and I took a small trip off planet in his recent purchase. We only orbited the planet so I could see the fleet with my own eyes and that was enough for the Court to tighten my leash further as if I were some foolish teenager ..."

Not entirely true, but there was some truth to her reasons for leaving the planet. Salem knew she was restless, and she had wanted to see the Hapan fleet. Having spent the night in Victer's bed was a detailed best left out.

Salem Ave
Dec 13th, 2008, 11:42:56 AM
<dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">Victer Dejan continued to prove himself an anomaly, but if nothing else his presence seemed to have stirred up some restlessness inside of Adraudia. The Captain was clearly not without his uses.</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> “The up-keep of a city like Iziz is far too complex and time-consuming to be tasked to a lone individual, wouldn't you agree?”</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 13th, 2008, 11:45:41 AM
"My family has been running Iziz for centuries, but with the addition of the Hapans, it is clearly much to manage with such a small Court and Cabinet," she said in agreement. "However, Iziz is slow to accept change and look towards me to lead them through this transition."

Salem Ave
Dec 14th, 2008, 08:14:23 AM
<dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">“Indeed.”</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> The Basillie lineage could be traced back centuries. They had stood alongside and fought for the people of Onderon since it's earliest days. In Adraudia, the populace saw more than just a figurehead – they saw a link to the glory of the past and to a potentially prosperous future. </dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> “Some... expansion of the Cabinet would be a step towards positive progress, I think – though it is your own progress which plays on my mind most often.”</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> It was unthinkable that Adraudia should abdicate the throne, and without an heir in sight if she were – Force forbid – to die, there was no telling what kind of chaos the court would be plunged into. There was a long pause. Salem folded his hands together, fingers interlacing, as he considered his next words.</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> “In the days of the Republic, it was not uncommon for members of royalty to employee... decoys, physically nigh-identical to themselves.”</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 14th, 2008, 03:14:01 PM
Adraudia leaned forward, her curiosity piqued at Salem's idea. Her first instincts made such duplicity seemingly inappropriate, but how were she to train in secret to better serve her people. She had willingly accepted this ploy behind the Courts back, but any fruition of Force potential had been cast aside with the Hapans arrival. All duty to the crown, instead of blossoming her unlimited Force potential.

"It would only work if the Court is in on it," said the Queen. "Most of them have watched me grow up since birth and could smell an Impostor instantly. Well, the more shrewd ones would."

Salem Ave
Dec 14th, 2008, 03:26:03 PM
<dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">She had a point, of course. The men and women who composed the Onderonian court had interacted with their Queen from an early age. Many of them were more than just advisors or employees; they were almost family. Then again...</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> “We've fooled them all before, Creas,” Salem replied, meeting his apprentice's eyes with a firm and steady gaze.
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">“There's no reason why we can't do it again.”</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 14th, 2008, 04:26:41 PM
Creas. The name of her other self that was almost seemingly forgotten with how heavy the weight of her crown had become. Hearing it again stirred something inside her that had slowly dwindled into dormant potential. She had become stagnant and useless in regards to her training, which had not taken place in over a year. No one was to blame for this. Creas and Callidus realized that their greater plans took precedence.

But now the warm embers of dark power were starting to catch fire once more. "You already have an idea on how to do this, Master. Or am I wrong?" Which she was not. Callidus never set an idea forth unless he had a plan to back it up.

Salem Ave
Dec 14th, 2008, 04:33:52 PM
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.0 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style> <dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">Salem smiled thinly. “There are a number of avenues we may pursue to resolve this matter. Finding a suitable candidate to act as your double could take years, or mere weeks, depending on which path you would prefer to go down. It's all a matter of exactly what lengths you're willing to go to,” he added, holding the Queen's eyes, almost in challenge.</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 14th, 2008, 05:05:43 PM
Adraudia had heard that tone before when they had been plotting the demise of the Queen Mother. She was wary at first but having dealt with the impudence of Ishara for far too long, Adraudia's mind slowly accepted that the universe would not mourn this unforgiving wench who treated her children like fodder and her people like ants. Adraudia and Ishara were two diametrically opposed individuals who didn't play well together.

But a body double was another matter entirely since it would be used for selfish reasons. So she could train and leave the planet with no one the wiser. It didn't seem to sit right with her. "Please explain further, Master Callidus."

Salem Ave
Dec 15th, 2008, 05:03:06 PM
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.0 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style> <dl><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">“If we had all the time in the world, and patience to match it, we might find you a passably convincing double in one of the many slave auctions throughout the Galaxy – and whilst there are philanthropic benefits to this approach, any use the decoy might have would be outweighed by time taken to find her.”</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> Salem paused, allowing this truth to settle in, before offering his next suggestion.</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;">
</dd><dd style="margin-left: 0cm; text-align: left;"> “Consider this, instead, then. My home world is a place of great technological and scientific ingenuity. The Arkanian's are at the forefront in most every area of scientific study, though the brilliance of our scientists shines most brightly in one particular field: genetics. Genetic engineering, to be precise.”</dd></dl>

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 16th, 2008, 11:49:43 AM
Adraudia reclined in her chair and tapped a finger against the desk in thought. The former option was more preferable to the Queen. Not only would it benefit her, the slave girl would be indebted to Onderon and do anything to remain free, even if it were to double as a the Queen. And honestly, who wouldn't? To be allowed the same luxuries and be treated as a potential hero of the Court? She would make the dreams come true for one lucky lady ...

But time was not on their side and there were hundreds of slave markets throughout the galaxy. Callidus wanted to make a move against Ishara soon after Razielle gave birth. That gave them close to eight months to find a potential girl and train her. It was not probable.

"Tell me more about this genetic manipulation," she said coldly.

Salem Ave
Dec 18th, 2008, 05:36:22 PM
“You're familiar with cloning, I assume?” The answer was obvious, so Salem waved a dismissive hand. “They have advanced above and beyond the old methods that provided Palpatine with his Clone Army. I don't know precisely what they're capable of – science advances so quickly now that it's difficult to keep up – but you can be certain that whatever they are doing, they have honed their craft to an art.”

Salem paused a moment for thought, absently tapping the tips of his fingers together. “If you'd like, I can arrange to have an Arkanian scientist visit us here, to discuss any questions or concerns you might have.”

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:45:41 PM
"I'll admit I have reservations and curiosities regarding this idea. Having one of your scientists speak to me personally would be best. I would like to know all available options open to us." No matter how trapped Adraudia felt, she did not want to put some volunteer through so much pain if it could be avoided. Even Salem admitted some ignorance in what his people have discovered in this area of science, so it would be beneficial to hear them out face to face. And who knows? Perhaps another option would make itself known.

Salem Ave
Dec 25th, 2008, 03:02:50 PM
Salem nodded, satisfied at least that Adraudia appeared to have some consideration for the idea. It was, to his mind, the only prudent course of action. It would be important to choose a benevolent and trustworthy geneticist to speak with her, to ensure her approval was won.

“It's a pity we can't travel to Arkania. It's an impressive place... vast tundra and diamond-ice mountains. Like nothing you've ever seen, I'm certain.”

Bringing his hands down onto his knees with a kind of finality Salem sighed. “Well, I'd better take my leave. It may take some time to secure a scientist willing to visit Onderon, so it's best I start sending out invitations immediately...”

Adraudia Basillie
Dec 26th, 2008, 11:51:25 AM
Her expression became wistful as she imagined what Arkania must look like. Even with Salem's brief description it sounded beautiful. It made her long for a time when she it was possible to travel the stars with her Mother. Before the weight of the crown had permanently cemented her to the throne.

With her Master's help, that dream could become a reality once again ...

"I'll make sure to forward my itinerary for the next few weeks in case they can make a visit out soon," she said, making a note of that. "I'm quite looking forward to meeting your scientists."

Salem Ave
Feb 1st, 2009, 08:32:23 AM
The Prime Minister was on his feet now. When the Queen spoke of her eagerness, he smiled faintly and inclined his head to her in a respectful nod. With the decision to establish contact with Arkania made, there was little left to be said. Salem departed, concluding their brief meeting and leaving the Queen to her solitude.

It would be little over a week before anything else was said of the matter. It remained in the forefront of Ave's mind, however, and he placed the necessity to contact a suitable member of the Arkanian scientific community at the top of his to-do list. It took some time to open avenues of communication – a fact which Salem accredited to the scientific predisposition to become lost in ones work – but eventually a representative from Adascorp (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Adascorp) agreed to make the journey to Onderon, as a favor to Ave.

The professor would be with them within the week.

Kare Nascimento
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:43:07 PM
It was on the sixth day after Prime Minister Ave's meeting with the Queen of Onderon that a shuttle arrived from distant Arkania. Bearing within its chrome only two passengers – a Professor, her assistant and their affects – it was admitted beyond the Hapan blockade surrounding the planet with surprisingly speed and efficiency. At planet side security, however, there was a problem.

“Passenger log states... two passengers, plus droids,” the customers officer said, reading from a datapad in his hands. Yet, when his eyes lifted he saw one passenger – a severe looking young woman – and one... something (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Yaka_EGTA.jpg). It was human shaped certainly, but it's body had been augmented heavily with cybernetic implants. “Where is your second passenger?” the customers agent asked at last, when the young woman continued to stare indifferently in response.

“Slow-witted, isn't he,” the pillar of a man stated, in a hollow voice. “I hope they are not all so dim.”

An hour later, Professor Nascimento and her assistant were ushered in the Palace of Iziz. The grounds had a look of antiquity about them amongst which Nascimento and her cyborg aide seemed distinctly out of place. When offered the chance to sit upon a luxurious couch and sample some of the Palace's imported Hapan culinary delicacies, the Professor politely declined the latter whilst she sat, with a straight spine, upon the offered couch. The cyborg merely stood beside her, low lights pulsing behind his eyes as he scanned the waiting room...

Salem Ave
Feb 17th, 2009, 08:34:58 AM
Time passed and finally the doors to the waiting room opened, admitting a white-eyed man in a dark suit. “Professor... my apologies for the delay. Prime Minister Ave, it's a pleasure to meet you.”

Nascimento rose from her seat to meet Ave and accepted his handshake. Though her expression was a picture of indifference, he felt her curiosity, how she studied him. It was rare to find Arkanian's involved in politics, particularly in peculiar little corners of the galaxy like this. The cyborg did not move, though his eyes followed the interchange.

“Queen Adraudia will be with us very soon, and then we can begin discussing what you have to offer Onderon.”

Adraudia Basillie
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:20:45 PM
In the second floor Drawning Room, Queen Adraudia Basillie was escorted inside by her every loyal, and always ever present, guards. She was quite curious as to how this genetic manipulation would work and without having serious consequences to the woman who would volunteer for the procedure if it were agreeable to the Queen. She still held strict reservations about this venture, but her mind was open to the possibility.

She greeted Salem first. "Prime Minister Ave."

And then her eyes fell upon her guests, taken aback by the strange cyborg behind the Professor. She had never seen anything like that before. Sure there were travelers that had implants or bionic arms or hands that had been injured beyond the repair of surgery or bacta, but nothing so glaring as the modifications that this hulking thing had behind its presumable creator.

"And Professor Nascimento?" Adraudia had practiced the pronunciation of the Arkanian's name diligently. "It is a pleasure to meet you and I thank you for coming to Onderon to meet with myself and Minister Ave in person."

Kare Nascimento
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:04:48 AM
The Queen of Onderon had been raised with impeccable manners, that much was clear, but all of her upbringing had not been enough to hide the flicker of surprise in her expression when she laid eyes upon the Professor's assistant. “We were honored to receive your invitation,” Nascimento inclined her head in a gesture that might have been a sign of respect or thanks. The cyborg did not move, though one of its eyes pulsed with a dim, red light as it watched Adraudia, vacantly. “Though we admit curiosity when it comes to the nature of our visit... Onderon is not known for its scientific endeavour.”

Salem Ave
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:13:23 AM
Nor Arkania for it's interest in affairs beyond its borders, Salem thought, with a small smile, yet here we are. Nascimento seemed to want to charge head first into the meat of the matter, but Ave was in no such rush. Warming the Queen to this idea was a delicate undertaking and her compliance would not be won in a single evening.

“Perhaps we might delay discussions of business until you have settled in here, Professor. Assuming, of course, that you will be staying within the Royal residence for more than just one night?” Salem added, with a glance to Adraudia, as if seeking her seal of approval on this suggestion.

Adraudia Basillie
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:42:26 AM
Adraudia concurred with that idea and smiled towards their guests, "An excellent idea. That is, if you haven't any pressing matters back home, we would be delighted with the honor of your company."

It would also give her Majesty more time to digest the very idea of science creating a copy, or near copy, of her. As much as desired more freedom, at what cost was she really willing to go in order to achieve it? Adraudia had always been unselfish in her goals. Any decision was to bring peace to Onderon and strive betterment for her people. It seemed so perverse to upset the natural order of things to obtain those goals, allowing her more time to train with her Master.

Kare Nascimento
Jan 20th, 2010, 02:45:48 PM
To set aside business seemed to imply the invitation of pleasure, and given their taste in décor it seemed unlikely that the courtiers of Iziz wanted for pleasure. There was an air of decadence and indulgence about the place that was entirely at odds with the austere and sterilised domiciles of Adascopolis.

“That would be... acceptable,” the Professor concluded after a moments thought. “Though our time here is not without limit.”

Adraudia Basillie
Jan 23rd, 2010, 03:03:06 PM
"Of course and I respect that Professor," she said with an accepting smile. "My home is yours for the duration of your stay, and I'm certain the Prime Minister would be the perfect choice in escort around the grounds."

They were Arkanians and perhaps her Master, her adviser, would enjoy talk of home, though she would confess to herself that she was uncertain if he cared or not. His motivations were preserving Onderon and ushering her people into a future that would bring about a lasting peace. Sentimental notions of home did not seem his forte, but she could only guess.

Salem Ave
Jan 23rd, 2010, 03:20:48 PM
“I would be honoured to provide you and your associate with a tour, Professor.”

Nascimento tilted her head towards him, her mannerisms almost bird-like, whilst the cyborg remained as inscrutable as he had been from the beginning. Salem wondered why she had chosen to travel with such a brazenly outlandish creature. The sight of it did not offend or scare the Prime Minister himself, but to any prospective customer who might be uncertain of the moral and ethical issues surrounding genetic manipulation... it was almost as if she was trying to make a bad impression.

Rising to his feet, Ave motioned to the door. “We can take a walk now, if you like? In an hour or so, the kitchens will be serving dinner,” he added, letting his eyes stray for a moment to the cyborg. “We can begin our discussions then.”

Kare Nascimento
Feb 20th, 2010, 09:31:31 AM
There was another moment of deliberation, as the Professor's eyes tracked briefly to her cyborg companion. Though he did not move or give any outward sign of communication, Nascimento studied him for a moment before nodding.

“We find this suggestion acceptable also.”

Salem Ave
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:55:30 PM
Two hours later, they were seated around a grand dining table within the palace. The palace staff had sourced a particularly wide chair for Professor Nascimento's aide. A traditional Onderonian meal had been prepared and, with varying degrees of décor, eaten. Salem had watched the Professor dissect her fowl as if it were a lab specimen, whilst her aide seemed to just shovel forkful after forkful into his mouth without tasting a single bite. Once they seemed to have satisfied their appetites, Salem dabbed at the corners of his mouth with a napkin then brushed the palms of his hands. He glanced at Adraudia, awaiting her Majesty's signal that they could begin discussing the matter of the Professor's visitation.

Adraudia Basillie
Jul 24th, 2010, 12:39:49 PM
The dichotomy of manners at the table was interesting to say the least, but not all had the lessons of the privileged. Wiping her face clean as the Prime Minister's, she folded the napkin and set it aside before taking a glass of water in hand to sip. Over its rim, the two shared an unspoken understanding that it was time move things forward ...

Salem Ave
Aug 14th, 2010, 02:55:57 PM
“My compliments, as always, to the kitchen.”

Salem smiled as serving staff cleared the table of various plates, dishes and bowels, leaving behind only the diners drinks. The Prime Minister smoothed a crumple in the table-cloth.

“Professor... you have witnessed today just a fraction of what Onderon has to offer you, as a host. Perhaps now you might indulge our curiosity, and tell us what you can offer, as a guest.”