PDA

View Full Version : Christmas/2009 Wish List

Peter McCoy
Dec 1st, 2008, 06:56:09 AM
So, I'm almost here and everyone is at least hoping for some nice gifts. But if you were given a choice as to the gifts you want, what might they be? And I'm not talking super-crazy houses and cars and boats and golden toilets. Here's some of the stuff I'd love to find underneath the tree (but don't expect to, so they'll be my priority purchases for 2009):

<del>Bioshock (PS3)</del> - I won't be buying this one now since I got a new PC and can play it on full graphics. (Everything was on high by default, yay!)

<del>Fallout 3 (PS3)</del> - I bought this the other week.

FarCry 2 (PS3) - Loved the first one. Well, at least until the things show up, then it all went a bit silly. The locales and visuals made me want to see it to the end though. If this is the same then I'll be happy. If there are no silly things in it again then that'll be even better,

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (PS3) - This looks like a lot of fun. One of the gameplay elements is fighting while falling from buildings/cliffs etc. The demo video showed The Flash repeatedly kicking his opponent while freefalling. LOL!

Guitar Hero: World Tour (PS3) - This game is supposed to have the best video game drumming experience ever, or so I've heard and read. I'll mention my desire to get Guitar Hero: Aerosmith along with this since they're related. They're one of my favourite bands and given my limited guitar-playing skills I'd love to be able to rock out to their awesome tunes.

LittleBigPlanet (PS3) - I've not played this game but I've seen gameplay video's and read reviews and so far everything is really positive. I was wondering if anybody here has played it and could give their opinion. I think it looks really fun but I'm not certain I'll get it yet.

The Bourne Conspiracy (PS3) - I'm not sure about this one. While the films are great I'm not convinced. This may just be another bog-standard secret-agent shooter-based action thriller like so many games before it. If I was able to rent it first then I would but sadly there's no Blockbuster nearby anymore. Any thoughts on this one?

Condemned 1/2 (PS3) - Definitely gonna get these at some point. I've played the demo for the 2nd one and adored it. Very gritty, very dark, very unnerving. Very good...well, for my taste anyways :p

Deadspace (PS3) - Survival horror in space - sounds like my cup of tea. And I hear there's no gravity in places, so they can come from above and below. Ooooooh!

Resident Evil 5/Silent Hill 5/Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3) - I'll mention these altogether because they're not out until early 2009 and are all similar. They're all horror, they're all about survival. Just slightly different in terms of genre. I'm tempted to put them in order of desire but I can't seem to choose - I want them all equally!

The Dark Knight (Blu-Ray) - This is a must-buy for me. I'll be ordering it on Amazon at some point this week, it's release date is the 8th of December. Ooooh, I can't wait!

The X-Files (DVD) - I've wanted to buy this series for a while now and I'll hopefully get it this coming year, even if I only buy 1 series every month or every other month.

Angel/Buffy (DVD) - Same as X-Files really. 2 really enjoyable shows I haven't sene in ages (or in their entirety for that matter). Some people scoff at these two shows due to their campness but I really enjoy what Joss Whedon has created with these two shows. Gotta love Spike and Zander!

Star Trek: Voyager (DVD) - Got The Next Generation boxset last Christmas, and I've almost finished watching it all the way through. So I need something else to start now. I'll also mention Deep Space Nine as well since that's also on my must-buy list.

Frasier (DVD) - I've got the first two seasons already and absolutely adore them. I could watch an entire season of this in one sitting, it's just so watchable. Very easy going and a great show to watch in bed when I want to relax and ave a good laugh.

There's probably more than this so I may edit this post as I think them up. And I really hope that as the year goes on I'm able to tick these off. Fingers crossed.

So what about you guys? My list is all games and DVD's. I don't really want much else - OMG, just remembered my LEGO. I want LEGO!!!!! A big huge box of bricks as well as some cool retro stuff if I can get my hand son it (the online Lego store doesn't have old sets so it'll most likely be Ebay). What would you all like to receive under the tree when I arrive (or after the New Year for that matter).

Daiquiri
Dec 1st, 2008, 12:14:51 PM
Dont know if it comes in a boxed set or not but Id really like to have all the Percius Jackson and the Olympians bpoks. (think theres another one coming next year :D)

A new pc (which im not going to get).

Jeans

The first LOTR movie (dvd). Mine has somehow sprouted legs and wandered off to who-knows-where with the help of one of my daughters.

Im sure there will be more to come but this is off the top of my head.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2008, 12:28:51 PM
A Nikon D60 SLR camera.

And... I got it already! :dance I love it!

edit: and http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18029595 this I am dying for this I must have it!

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 1st, 2008, 02:00:55 PM
I can't think of anything I want for Christmas, that is of a sensible price. I'd like an Xbox 360 with Guitar Hero World Tour, but that is too expensive really. I guess I will mostly just ask for money to put towards my trip to the US.

Wyl Staedtler
Dec 1st, 2008, 02:08:42 PM
- p90x training program so I can get into killer shape when I'm healthy.

- new running shoes

- cooking stuff

Nya Halcyon
Dec 1st, 2008, 02:56:38 PM
A new camera. (would be nice, but unlikely)

A new PC. (getting that)

6 months of peace and quiet in this house. (yeah right.... give me a roll of duct tape, and an hour with my mom and my wish would come true ;)

A whole pile of books. (No. No more space.)

An extra 12 hours more to every day. (Unlikely)

Mandy with an I
Dec 1st, 2008, 04:21:24 PM
All I asked for was money (for my trip), a Pure Tracks gift card and the third Dexter book. I might get a new pair of jeans too :)

Mitch
Dec 1st, 2008, 08:45:34 PM
Wacom Cintiq 21, Epson Perfection 12000 scanner, Epson large-scale plotter, and a 1969 Ford Galaxie or Gran Torino would be nice. =)

But, seriously, I have no idea. =P

Vipul Chandrashekar
Dec 1st, 2008, 11:01:32 PM
Expensive:

Really nice digital camera
X-Box 360
Coffee table
New suit (lol yeah right)
Ruger Vaquero .45LC (lol yeah right)

Sorta expensive:
Blade-Tech holster for Walther PPS
SOG knife
Brown double bullhide Beltman gun belt
A good mixer & bowl set
Tactical block and bayonet for CZ SP-01T
DVD seasons of Star Trek TNG, Star Trek DS9, Battlestar Galactica, Deadwood, and probably a half dozen others I forget.

Affordable-ish:
Russian Telnyashkas
Knife sharpener
Good apron
Culinary torch for fish & creme brulee
Deep fryer
Rambo 4
Iron Man
The Dark Knight
Cooking DVDs would be great!

Morgan Evanar
Dec 1st, 2008, 11:03:41 PM
A new PC. (getting that)You need any help with that?

I got what I wanted, all the stuff I REALLY want is too expensive, but what the hey:

Small block Ford aluminum heads
Mustang and Crown Vic motormounts for a SBF
custom exhaust
new exhaust manifolds
93' Cobra intake manifold/throttle body
race rubber/ 16" wheels as wide as will fit under a 240SX
coilover kit for a 240SX (need to research this)
1993 Mustang ECU
T5 rebuild

Cobb or Invida uppipe/downpipe for an EJ20T WRX.
ECU reflashed/tuned for a 05 WRX

Liam Jinn
Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:04:51 AM
Couldn't tell you what I want for Christmas, let alone make a list. I'm not doing too well, but hell if I had to - I'd love some new socks.

Jaime Tomahawk
Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:15:29 AM
Couldn't tell you what I want for Christmas, let alone make a list. I'm not doing too well, but hell if I had to - I'd love some new socks.

My respect for you just went up two notches.

Me.... eh. Whatever. I just want 2009 to have the adults in charge instead of the last reckless maniacs

Nya Halcyon
Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:39:49 AM
You need any help with that?

That'd be cool... a friend wanted to help me put something together since I'm woefully behind on what's available, but he's since disappeared to some Norwegian village with no internet connection so I can't ask him anymore... if you got a chance, contact me on AIM

Morgan Evanar
Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:52:57 AM
Let me know where you are getting the parts/budget etc.

Khendon Sevon
Dec 3rd, 2008, 11:28:41 AM
I have one thing on my x-mas list... kinda':

- Canon Digital Rebel XSi DSLR
- Canon 50mm / f1.8 II lense
- Nice polarizer, cheap UV filter, extra memory cards, batteries, etc. :)

Lilaena, why'd you get a Nikon? Do you have a bunch of compatible lenses already? Just wondering.

Cat X
Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:12:53 PM
I have one thing on my x-mas list... kinda':

- Canon Digital Rebel XSi DSLR
- Canon 50mm / f1.8 II lense
- Nice polarizer, cheap UV filter, extra memory cards, batteries, etc. :)

Lilaena, why'd you get a Nikon? Do you have a bunch of compatible lenses already? Just wondering.

The D60 is a better low end camera for the amateur than the the Rebel. In fact Nikon is a better system until you get into the 5D MkII and / or L glass. So in reality unless you want to have the retardedly over the top camera firepower like I do, go Nikon until you want to step up into semi-pro.

Park Kraken
Dec 4th, 2008, 12:50:43 AM
My List (so far):

C&C Red Alert 3 (PC)

WoW Wrath of the Lich King (PC)

Superpower 2 (PC)

Underwear (Boxers)

Jeans (Shorts and Pants)

Socks (Silk)

And thats about it.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:18:23 AM
Whoever wished for snow in the UK... :shakefist stop it!

Droo
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:49:18 AM
Me! I want snow. I want a white Christmas!

TheHolo.Net
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:53:12 AM
Whoever wished for snow in the UK... :shakefist stop it!We're finally getting our first real snow of the season here. Kinda surprising it took this long.
Me! I want snow. I want a white Christmas!I highly doubt ours will last till Christmas though. It was 65F just two days ago.

And I wish for a white Christmas every year and rarely get it.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:53:15 AM
It's been snowing for days here. I bet it'll stop before Christmas though.

...come make a snow-Yoda with me? ^_^

Jaime Tomahawk
Dec 4th, 2008, 05:09:05 AM
Me! I want snow. I want a white Christmas!

Snow and cold are highly overrated.

As is having 45C sun blast instead.

Droo
Dec 4th, 2008, 06:17:36 AM

Overrated by whom? I've never read a critique on the weather. I want snow for Christmas for a change, because it will look all pretty and white and clean, the air will be crisp and the atmosphere magical. I want to see the look on the kids' pink faces playing in the snow on Christmas Day. Most of us are all off work anyway, and while I have a distance to travel for my Christmas dinner this year, I'll be happy to weather the inconvenience of snow for the pleasure of snow.

Mandy with an I
Dec 4th, 2008, 10:42:41 AM
People who rarely get snow always love it...while I hate it. We haven't had much yet this year (after getting dumped on with a couple feet last year).

Snow can be here Christmas Eve and Day, then melt and never come back til next year :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 4th, 2008, 12:05:57 PM
I want snow too!!! *joins Dru in the snow corner*

People who live where there is a lot of snow and hate it should move. *pout* I feel like a starving person in a 3rd world country looking at a fat person who complains that they have too much food in the house. :cry

Byl Laprovik
Dec 4th, 2008, 12:19:56 PM
Yeah I love snow a lot. Not only is it fun to play in, but Alabama barely has the infrastructure to handle more than a few inches, so if we ever get a half-decent snowfall sum, you can pretty much forget having to go to work or school. Back in 93 when the blizzard hit, and we were looking at 2' minimum cover with up to 6' drifts, hah, we were shut down for a week.

Mandy with an I
Dec 4th, 2008, 12:22:27 PM
I want snow too!!! *joins Dru in the snow corner*

People who live where there is a lot of snow and hate it should move. *pout* I feel like a starving person in a 3rd world country looking at a fat person who complains that they have too much food in the house. :cry

I would love to move to some place that doesn't have snow. If I could give all the snow we get to the people who like it, I would :)

Miranda Tarkin
Dec 4th, 2008, 01:27:01 PM
I want ... cards :)

Seriously. I have no idea what I would like :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 4th, 2008, 01:35:47 PM
All the snow melted into horrible slush :(

Jaime Tomahawk
Dec 4th, 2008, 03:37:54 PM

Overrated by whom?

In reality, snow is pretty misreble stuff. For us where the toilets flush backwards and snow does not exist, I think the fact that summer is looking to be cooler than usual means Christmas day with bright glowing kids running around, swimming in pools, screaming around on bikes while the local grumpy bastard takes a day off from grumpy and is on a deckchair in the 30C shade with a cool one and a book enjoying life. Now THAT'S my kind if Christmas. None of this white fluffy stuff making you freeze or difficult to drive on while romantics try to invent a scene from Dickens to ally the fact they are cold and snuffly. Spending Christmas at a picnic besides a river or in a park - or just chillaxing on a beach is far, far superior.

(A white Chrismas in America was interesting but I think I'd rather have my winters with the chance of 20C days, not below 5C for days on end and negatives at noon is NOT my idea of any kind of a good day! Who said Hell was hot?)

Hi Mandy, your welcome to come here if you dont want snow - we got lots of not any of it :-D

Miranda Tarkin
Dec 4th, 2008, 03:48:41 PM
It's all a matter of perception on where you come from and how you were raised :p I personally love snow. Grew up around Chicago for most of my life and it doesn't bother me. Christmas was always snow surrounding pretty lighted houses :)

Granted blizzards and ice storms I can do without >_> Black ice was fun to drive on coming home from work :|

Daiquiri
Dec 4th, 2008, 04:56:13 PM
People who rarely get snow always love it...while I hate it. We haven't had much yet this year (after getting dumped on with a couple feet last year).

Snow can be here Christmas Eve and Day, then melt and never come back til next year :D

^ Fo'shizzle!! :D

Droo
Dec 4th, 2008, 05:47:25 PM
None of this white fluffy stuff making you freeze or difficult to drive on while romantics try to invent a scene from Dickens to ally the fact they are cold and snuffly.

No, you're wrong because I actually like snow, as do others, and I also like the rain and the wind. There's no invention in this whatsoever and the implication is fairly dull. I'm not a desperate romantic clinging to some semblance of saccharine sentimentality derived from cliché interpretations of literature or the old world. I happen to marvel at the wonders of nature in all its splendour and majesty and, natural disasters aside of course, I am quite happy to settle for a little discomfort for the sake of enjoying the elements on my doorstep.

Sanya Tagge
Dec 4th, 2008, 06:05:56 PM
some semblance of saccharine sentimentality

sssssssssssibilance

also,

bah humbug

:mneh

Mandy with an I
Dec 4th, 2008, 11:05:20 PM
We have no snow, but it was cold enough while I was waiting for my bus for my MP3 player to turn itself off, then protest when I tried to turn it back on. >_<

Ilias Nytrau
Dec 12th, 2008, 06:21:40 PM
I'm pretty well always happy with whatever I get. Usually a pair of flannel or fleece pyjamas, books, art stuff, lego... Even chocolate and stuff does fine. If there's something I particularly need, then i'm sure to ask. Besides, my secretive want list is never cheap, so I just won't bother.:p

It's hard for me to really say I want this, this, and this. And snow? All that does here is shut the city down, and we don't even get that much snow. No, unless I'm skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing, or know for a fact that I will be able to get into some epic snowball fights, snow is a no-go. I'd rather stay warm if I'm not having fun with the snow. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 12th, 2008, 06:26:25 PM
SNOW we're looking at possible snow storm in the next few days, along with enough cold temps for a week or so to really mess up the city! :dance I love snow I don't care :D