PDA

View Full Version : What is your RPing Secret Weapon?

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2008, 03:09:38 PM
Well? What do you unleash when all else fails? What is a surefire way to keep you interested and get others along for the ride?

My secret weapon is....

.... a secret.

Ok ok. It is MAYHEM! I use mayhem in my RPs to keep things interesting. :D

The Message
Nov 18th, 2008, 03:31:04 PM
I have two twists coming in the threads I have going right now. Hopefully they haven't been foreseen.

So twists in the story is my secret weapon.

Captain Untouchable
Nov 18th, 2008, 03:47:09 PM
Depends on the scenario; I usually try and loop the events of plotline A in with plotline B when things start slowing down - even if it's something subtle like having a character from B sitting in a cantina when the bar fight from plot A breaks out; having my Imperial character turn out to be on the ship that my Rebel pilots just attacked; that sort of thing.

I like all that loopy / crossovery type stuff, particularly when it comes as a total surprise. Sometimes they come as a surprise even to me - I think up all my best ideas when I'm crammed like a sardine on public transport...

Bette Davis
Nov 18th, 2008, 04:24:37 PM
My secret weapon is ... getting drunk, punching someone, or seducing them with my extreme sexiness. :mischief

Estelle Russard
Nov 18th, 2008, 08:04:30 PM
Tossing out a thread and seeing who/what bites.
The "unplanned" always makes me tap ideas I never realised were just biding their time in my head, half formed and vague, waiting just for an open door. I am quite an improviser writer (rather than a planner), I think.

Ps) Surprise plot twists are good ;)

Travis North
Nov 18th, 2008, 09:35:57 PM
My secret weapon... is... random moments of creative awesomeness... followed by a lack of following through. I write at least three posts a day and never feel they're good enough for me to hit 'post reply.'

I said it. That is the truth. Believe it!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 18th, 2008, 10:07:35 PM
Definitely plot twists and character tie-ins. Things that make you go 'wait... what? WHAT?!'

I also like to do character development type threads, since they're fun and you can often refer to them in memory/passing later on down the line. Feels more real to me, and I like to think it gives my writing depth.

Sol Iman
Nov 18th, 2008, 10:34:20 PM
When it comes to actions, keep it simple, stupid.

When it comes to the plot, keep complicating it. :)

I used to agonize over decisions - I'd get an idea to say something or do something that would shunt things in a new direction. Now when I get one of those ideas, I just do it.

Karl Valten
Nov 18th, 2008, 10:44:48 PM
Definitely plot twists and character tie-ins. Things that make you go 'wait... what? WHAT?!'

I also like to do character development type threads, since they're fun and you can often refer to them in memory/passing later on down the line. Feels more real to me, and I like to think it gives my writing depth.

Yeah, you have that down pretty damn well.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 19th, 2008, 04:06:46 AM
If I have a secret weapon, I've yet to discover it.

Droo
Nov 19th, 2008, 05:59:17 AM
If I have a secret weapon, I've yet to discover it.

Same here.

Peter McCoy
Nov 19th, 2008, 07:53:16 AM
I think Garrett's secret weapon was completely unexpected actions/reactions which brought about chaos.

I remember when I jumped in a super star destroyer and payed Coruscant an unannounced visit. Darth Viscera wasn't too happy and the Empire and TSO almost came to blows over the whole thing - all for Garrett's brief amusement.

I even remember Admiral Roebuck arguing with Viscera for my release. That was funny.

As for his newest incarnation, I haven't really established such a thing yet. He's somewhat random but not in the same extreme as before.

Flux
Nov 19th, 2008, 09:11:44 AM
I have no idea. I'm sure it's awesome tho.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:49:32 PM
Be really damn annoying so someone posts when it's their turn.

Blade Bacquin
Nov 21st, 2008, 04:52:22 AM
I don't know that I have any secret weapons for rping. I do have some personal preferences for the characters I play though.

I like character flaws because well no one is perfect. It also makes rping interesting watching other characters get around there flaws. Also it's fun working through your own characters flaws. Whether they be mental or physical flaws there what makes your character who they are.

On a similar note I like to play characters that can fail at their goals. I have never really cared for those characters that succeed at every fight the fight. I have never really cared for those characters that come out of some chaotic event unscathed. I like the fact that a character can fail and become stronger for his loss. Those who win all the time never get a chance to learn from a mistake because they don't make any.

All in all I would have to say Imperfections are the key for me.

Peter McCoy
Nov 21st, 2008, 08:02:22 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly Blade Ice. Just as long as they're not an emo kid who's always depressed because they're a walking character flaw with every imperfection under the sun with a 'Woe is Me' t-shirt. Weaknesses/flaws are great as long as they're not overdone.

But I wouldn't say you need to have flaws. Or rather, you don't need to mention or refer to them. It really does depend on the kind of story you want to explore. The way I'm roleplaying my new incarnation of Garrett, I'm taking a very plot-oriented approach. I have plans for the future that I'm slowly working towards. I have his character and personality very well established in my head and while I haven't decided/considered any specific weaknesses, until the story or myself deem it relevant I see no need to bring such detail into it.

My approach at the moment is enough to keep things going, but I have no doubt there will be instances in the future where character flaws are revealed and possibly exploited/overcome. But initially, the type of character he is does not really warrant such flaws since his demeanor is one of quirky perfection. His nature may or may not be different - but nature and demeanor are very different things and are not always apparent.

Boulder
Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:15:08 PM
I find that being an instigator is quite fun, and a great way to keep a thread going. It does not have to be anything monumental, but even little things work. Mainly, someone says "I'm gonna do XYZ." and I step in and go, "oh yea?"

Guy wants a drink at a bar. I cut him off or shoulder my way in front of him to get my drink. Someone wants to get from point A to point B, I try and keep them from doing it. It's always a good time. :lol