PDA

View Full Version : Darths & Droids

Atreyu
Nov 15th, 2008, 03:54:45 AM
Has anybody ever seen this webcomic?

http://darthsanddroids.net/

The plot: a tabletop gaming session in progress. The GM has setup a big huge plot he wants his players to follow, however his players have other ideas, resulting in duh ... duh ... DUUUUHHH Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. :dance

(so now we know why Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan stowed away on different ships, why Jar Jar is so annoying, why the Naboo queen is only 14 and ... yeah, just read it. All 179 strips of it. :lol)

Just a note that the main page features the last strip - scroll down and click the 'First' button and read from there. :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 15th, 2008, 10:32:05 AM
I started reading this a while back. Enjoyed it decently well, but then I lost the link. But now I have it again! Thanks!

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 15th, 2008, 01:45:43 PM
AHHH its hilarious and I love it!

Atreyu
Nov 15th, 2008, 04:59:49 PM
The comic is a gold mine for quotes. :)

From Comic #15:

THE TRADE FEDERATION DROPSHIPS FLY DOWN TO THE PLANET

Qui-Gon: Hey Obi-Wan, when we land you stay put and I'll find you.
Obi-Wan: Okay.

YOU'RE IN DIFFERENT SHIPS; HE CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Qui-Gon: HEY OBI-WAN!!!! WHEN WE ...

NO.

Or this from Comic #30:

YOU GUIDE THE BONGO THROUGH DEEP, DARK UNDERWATER CAVES.

SUDDENLY ... YOU FEEL A SHUDDER! A GIANT FISH IS TRYING TO EAT THE SHIP!

Qui-Gon: Is it a tuna?
Obi-Wan: I gun the propeller, hoping to rip its mouth to shreds.

UH ... THE PROPELLER ISN'T POWERFUL ENOUGH.

Qui-Gon: We fire the rear weapons!

THERE ARE NO REAR WEAPONS.

Qui-Gon: Turn around and fire the main weapons!

ACTUALLY ... THERE ARE NO WEAPONS AT ALL.

Jar Jar: Theesa big fishes eats bongos alla time!
Obi-Wan: I use my Force Suggestion. "Go Away!"

YOU CAN'T, YOU'RE JUST A PADAWAN.

Obi-Wan: ... "Padawan"?
Qui-Gon: A woven rug.

A PADAWAN IS A JEDI APPRENTICE. YOU'RE TRAINING UNDER QUI-GON'S SUPERVISION.

Jar Jar: Can meesa be a Jedi too?

NO!

Obi-Wan: No!

:lol

Just a note that the comic itself was inspired by a similar one done for Lord of the Rings (DM of the Rings - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14). The main difference (apart from the setting) is that with the LOTR one the GM is railroading the players to folow his plot regardless of what they want to do ("Search for loot!") whereas this TPM one goes the other way - having the players run off with the story and the GM trying to make it all up as they go to keep some sort of storyline going. :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 15th, 2008, 05:45:42 PM
This is great :lol

Thanks for the link!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 15th, 2008, 06:28:55 PM
I'm loving this so far. So funny :D

Atreyu
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:40:34 PM
::bump::

Just thought I'd update this thread - the Darths & Droids comic has now just progressed onto Episode II: Attack of the Clones, starting from Strip #209:

http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0209.html

Enjoy. :)

Padme: R2 - search for traps

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:43:52 PM
http://syndicated.livejournal.com/darthsanddroids/profile

I use Livejournal to keep up with Darths and Droids. Just thought others might appreciate the link, if anyone out there is also using LJ :)

Anna Fernandez
Jan 28th, 2009, 09:36:08 PM
I use Google Reader. :D

I love Darths and Droids, I can't get enough. :eee

Charlotte Tur'enne
Jan 29th, 2009, 02:08:06 PM
I've only gotten through the first few pages and seriously am cracking up.

I think I was totally won over at -
"Jedi?"
"It's a type of cheese"

lmao. Awesome.

Captain Untouchable
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:13:54 PM
"I cast Summon Bigger Fish."

And yay - they've moved on to Episode II!

Atreyu
Jan 29th, 2009, 08:54:43 PM
"I cast Summon Bigger Fish."

Haha :lol yeah I love it how, at least initially, they didn't quite get how 'Jedi' worked so they tended to treat them as some sort of quasi fighter-wizard characters who can just summon things and the like. :)

Crusader
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:31:16 PM
OMG this is a true gold mine for having some good laughs. The commentary on the bottom of each strip is a nice extra as well since it is written like a small guide for GMs so that they can improve their story development.
This whole webcomic reminded me how much fun I had playing pen&paper RPGs. Too bad I could not find a group in recent years.

Crusader
Dec 1st, 2011, 04:26:29 AM
http://darthsanddroids.net/

Hey they have just completed the entire prequel trilogy on Darths and Droids. Maybe you want to check it out or share your thoughts on it.

Atreyu
Dec 1st, 2011, 05:43:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I only tend to check it out every couple of months so I can push through a whole volume of comics, so I'll have to check it again now that it's been finished. :)

Crusader
Dec 1st, 2011, 05:55:53 AM
They will start with A New Hope in january and I am so excited to see who will end up playing Han, Leia and Luke.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2011, 03:19:03 PM
I'm thinking Annie will be Leia, Ben (haha no idea if that's the character's name, the guy who played Obi Wan) will be Luke, and Jim will be Han.

Crusader
Dec 1st, 2011, 03:38:25 PM
The funniest approach would be if Pete played either Luke or Han and if Sally played Leia and so they would hook up with each other at some point.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 1st, 2011, 07:13:59 PM
Gross! Pretty sure Pete is sticking with R2-D2. :)

Captain Untouchable
Dec 2nd, 2011, 03:14:37 AM
I have a feeling that Sally will be Chewie at some point.

I'm guessing that Annie will start out as Han Solo, and Jim will start out as Luke. Ben meanwhile will play Obi Wan until he dies: then he takes over the only main NPC kicking around - Leia. Ever the roleplayer, Annie's womanising Han Solo gets his flirt on with the only female in the game, which leads to some awkwardness between Jim and Ben. The I Am Your Father scene will be a ginormous break-up between Annie and Jim; and then the reconsiliation in ROTJ will be them getting back together.

That said, it'd be kinda cool if Sally ended up as Leia, Ben ends up as Han, and all of the Han-Leia scenes are backwards because of Sally having the hots for Ben. :mischief

Crusader
Dec 2nd, 2011, 07:10:23 AM
Ben and Sally are siblings...OK this is SW but WTF Jace! The big question is who will be playing Lando next year :D

Captain Untouchable
Dec 2nd, 2011, 08:18:33 AM
I meant Jim as Han. >_<

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 3rd, 2011, 03:12:44 PM
Ben and Sally are siblings...OK this is SW but WTF Jace! The big question is who will be playing Lando next year :D
LOL!

I'm guessing Lando will be another NPC like Bail Organa. Probably talk the same, too. :lol