PDA

View Full Version : Chasing the Horizon

Midnight in California, and Collin could find no more soothing place to be then the beach, overlooking the moonlit expanse of the Pacific Ocean. Or rather, he would have been, if their was much to see save for the glint of light against dark waters, ushered forth in a repetitive ebb and flow.

To his right, the sound of the waves coming in and crashing against the surface of the water and beach. To his left, the faint pulse of music and chatter from a strip of bars left behind less then a quarter of a mile ago. Try as he might, he just couldn't seem to fit in. His personality forced him to be a bit of a show off sometimes, forgetting that his abilities weren't always welcomed.

So he left the bar, ditched his shoes, and took for a walk down the beach. His left hand stuffed within the pocket of his pants, right hand rolled a quarter across the backs of his knuckles, only with every digit it came into contact with the metal extended through to those fingers then vanished. Could he hold the composition for longer? Sure, but that was all part of the quarter trick.

"I need a dog, or somethin.." He offhandedly commented to himself, silvery eyes lifting across to the abyss of ocean. "Will sure bring me better luck to show one off, then turning my hand into steel." He spoke aloud, but only because he was confident he was alone, or rather he didn't care. Obviously, he didn't attempt to hide his gifts well, since the nervous habit had him playing with that coin and abusing what he could do by sheer contact with the substance.

Undine
Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:08:34 AM
Missing? She wasn't missing. She was slightly lost but all that had been done on purpose; Lucette Alexandra Blake had stopped going to school, hadn't been home in a week or so, and was running low on cash. Nevertheless, that did not deter her from buying a ticket down to the pier, purchasing a slice of extremely cheesy and fattening pizza, and plunking down right in front of the ocean. Mind you, she was smart enough to sit a ways away so the water couldn't touch her; she had no desire to have another episode of that ever again.

Delaying her rather meager feast, she leveled her oceanic gaze upon the silvery moon situated in front of her. Canting her head slightly to the side, she urged herself not to lapse into thinking about home again; she'd come out this far just to relax. A gentle breeze tugged at the dark blue tulle of her short azure dress, she kicked off her flip flops and nudged them forward with the tips of her toes.

Sighing softly, she plunked the pizza plate down beside her and wrapped her arms around her knees. She knew she would have to go back at some point; maybe if she told them about her recent developments, they'd ship her off wherever they hid her sister.

Will sure bring me better luck to show one off, then turning my hand into steel.

He didn't seem to notice her, which was really not something new for her. This guy was so handsome, she almost considered not talking at all; she usually made a fool of herself around men/boys anyway. He had no shoes on and his shirt was unbuttoned somewhat, making her blush just in the slightest.

"You can turn your hand into steel...?" She chimed in, propping her chin upon her palm.

The woman's words caught his ears, and drew his attention to her huddled form which he might of otherwise missed. The coin was turned over a last time against the back of his fingers, before it was slipped down into his pocket with the other hand. "Uh, yeh I can." He was rather caught off guard that she seemed intrigued, rather then a typical impression of 'just don't talk, let him keep walking', that he seemed to get.

His steps took him closer to the girl, attempting to get a better look at her. The closer he got, the clearer it was to see her, and the more obvious it became she was an attractive young woman. Perhaps a bit younger then him, but who could tell with the girls these days.

"Well.." He began to correct himself, moving closer. "Most anything, really. And not just my hand." Dare he show off? Her voice hinted intrigue, rather then fear. So, he stopped before her and lowered to a crouch, sliding a titanium band from his ring finger.

"See.." He offered the sight of the ring as it sat on his palm. "..I can touch this, and whatever it's made out of, that's what my skin becomes made out of. I can even isolate it." The ring was placed back on his finger, hand turned over and shimmering as it took on a metallic sheen, though maintained it's shape. "Same goes for a lot of things. Fire. Ice. Cement. Water is the most difficult, too insubstantial for me to hold."

Eyes downcast away with a shy smile, as he realized his rant, hand returning to it's former state. "Ah, forgive me. I'm probably scaring ya." Head took a tilt upwards, sniffing at the air. "What is that..." His eyes downcast to the plate that held her pizza. "Ah, nothing like a midnight slice of pizza, hm?"

Undine
Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:36:28 AM
Lucy watched him with rapt attention, gasping in surprise when his arm did indeed change as he said it would. Smiling sheepishly, not used to someone paying her so much mind, she clapped her hands quietly. Then, upon his remark, she cast her gaze down upon the slice of pizza she had discarded.

"It looks delicious, really. I'm not certain my stomach could handle it though." She laughed softly, as if her sudden airy mood might be frowned upon by the non-existent masses. She was always stifling how she truly felt, she realized. A bad habit encouraged by her parents; only her sister really understood.

Slowly letting down her legs, which were longer than was to be expected from a petite blond of her age, she continued to gaze at him. "You have a very interesting ability, Mr...."

She paused, aghast. "I'm so sorry! Allow me to introduce myself. I-I'm Lucy Blake." She stuttered, lowering her head in embarrassment. Looking up with renewed determination set into the rolling waves of her eyes, she extended her slender hand toward him. "A pleasure."

His right knee touched the sand, to steady his body, as he lifted his right hand upwards to take her own gently. "Pleasure's mine, Lucy." He stated at first, only stating his name with the withdraw of his hand. "Collin." The single word was spoken. "You have a pretty proper way of speaking. It's not rude of me to ask if you come from some sort of rich background, is it?

"Who am I kidding, that was rude. Just ignore the question." His hand dismissed it with a wave, moving to seat himself with a slight turn, easing himself upwards beside her and yet leaving space. "I'm glad to hear you think it's interesting. Not a lot of love for.." His brow furrowed. "Well, you know. My kind." That she was like him, he still had no idea.

"I think people forget, we're all still human, with basic needs and desires. Acceptance included." Eyes cut over to her, a shy smile again taking over his lips. "I'm ranting, sorry. Something else, hm." He mused, attempting to redirect the conversation. "What brings you out here, Lucy?"