PDA

View Full Version : Venom?

Captain Untouchable
Oct 19th, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
My girlfriend and I have been spinning together a few ideas so that she can join in with the X-Men roleplaying around here. She has a few ideas for a character that is a little similar to some of the demon depictions you find in Japanese anime. She wants a character that is "posessed" by something, and is capable of sprouting icky black clawed arms and wings; stuff like that.

One of the easiest ways we came up with to achieve that was to use something like the Venom symbiote - not necessarily Venom him/her/itself: something with similar properties that would have a similar effect, but that would manifest in a more feminine, demonic way, rather than a big snarling beast thing.

I know this is "Mutants" Unite; are other aspects of the Marvel Universe allowed? Are there any rules on using that sort of thing - do we need mod approval, or is it just a common sense thing?

Input much appreciated! :)

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:04:20 PM
Common sense rules! Obviously the main focus is on mutant characters (hence the name ;)), but I wouldn't have any problem with super heroes of other origins appearing.

Dallas Walker
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:10:56 PM
Find some way to have it be part of her mutation? Anja Drake has something like that with her Dark Angel thing. I don't have a problem with it as long as it's within the common sense rules :) The more muties, the merrier XD

Stern
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:12:50 PM
well, this symbiote or whatever can be from nearly any origin.

It could even be derived from particular mutant properties. If the main idea is to have a separate entity to posess your gf's character, it could be the result of experiments involving mutant powers that went wrong (or right).

It could be the result of other scientific experimentation or it could just plain be a freak of nature.

If you want to go with the science experiment gone wrong thing, I can boot up a thread with Klaus and we can make her character the subject of the experiment.

Macie Finch
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:46:43 PM
Hello - I am the afore-mentioned girlfriend ^^ I know I just joined up, but this is an idea which I'm really keen on doing. Thanks for all your input so far; it's really appreciated.

Stern - your idea of experimentation was what I was thinking of originally for how the powers came about, since the wings appearing/growing/shrinking and being strong in general seemed a bit too over-powered to be part of the course of mutation.

An experiment works fine - she could have mutant powers of a milder nature or (my original idea) that she was ill and they were testing the effect of a symbiote. If she died due to the symbiote, it wouldn't be too much of a moral responsibility on their part as she was due to pass away anyway. Or something.

What do you think?

Stern
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:59:58 PM
I think it'll work just fine. Klaus would be kind of eager to see how his mutant derived experiments and work would influence humans.

More or less I figure for the symbiote to be created, there needs to be an innate compatibility with Macie's body. Like how a body can reject and implanted kidney, Klaus needs to be sure that whatever he does to her body, it won't be rejected.

The symbiote needs to be able to work well with her tissue. So a sample would be needed from her that Klaus can use to mingle with the X-gene.

I figure the symbiote can come about in a number of ways. I'm still not sure if you want her to be a mutant or not, so we'll lay out both the ways I figure the symbiote would come about in its creation.

Once Klaus gets Macie's tissue sample, he can start growing something and introduce the X-gene to her DNA. The X-gene would fundamentally alter the substance of the tissue he is growing and would result in a symbiote that would want to be a part of Macie's genetic structure.

If Macie is already a mutant, then things get more interesting. Klaus' motives get a bit darker. As a mutant, Klaus would discover her X-Gene during his research. Then rather than introduce the X-gene to her tissue sample, Klaus would somehow alter the gene or splice genetic materials to create the symbiotic creature.

The first one idea is much simpler. But like I said, let me know what you're thinking and how you want this to run.

Macie Finch
Oct 19th, 2008, 03:19:17 PM
Sorry for any confusion - Macie isn't the one affected by the symbiote; it's another character I'm planning to set up an account for called Jozua Cure. She's a Dutch/American national - like I said, I'm not sure if she should have mutant powers in the first place but that looks like a more exciting story anyways.

Is it that she doesn't necessarily have to be aware of any power, and therefore we don't have to determine what the original power is in the first place. Then, when Klaus begins his experiementation and introduces the symbiote to Jozua's body, would it completely 'over write' the original power?

Sorry again for the confusion!

Stern
Oct 19th, 2008, 07:02:44 PM
Whatever. The plan still works.

The symbiote won't be overwriting anything, that I could imaginably forsee. But as the power develops, the character and the symbiote will both have to learn to deal with that power. If the two entities reply to this new development in very different ways it can be a problem. Then again, it makes for things more fun.

Macie Finch
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:20:14 AM
So, basically I need to think of another power? Hmm - I want it to be a relatviely minor thing, as the symbiote creates a lot of strength. I guess she could have a photographic memory, or something. Ooh - what about the ability to know somebody's name? When she sees somebody, she sees their name above their head like some kind of astral-labelling.

I quite like that. Would that be okay? Also, I would be very grateful if you would take the time to roleplay the 'introduction of the symbiote' part with me.

Just to make a couple of things clear to myself:

The character is Jozua Cure, who I have yet to set up an account for.

The power is the ability to know somebody's name upon seeing them - but it doesn't work on photographs or TV etc - she has to see them in flesh and blood. However, seeing names through photographs and TV could be a development for the power.

Is she aware of the power or not? It could simply not have developed/appeared yet.

Should she be ill or not? I was simply thinking that she was suffering from leukaemia or something similar, and that upon introduction the symbiote would be able to cure it, Thus, she cannot separate from the symbiote as it is keeping her alive.

Other than that, I'm good to go. I'll poodle and make the account ...ready when you are!

Once again, thanks for your input and enthusiasm ^^ You've been a massive help! That's thanks to everybody! Yaay!

Stern
Oct 21st, 2008, 09:30:05 PM
Let me know when you want that thread to start.

Dragon
Oct 25th, 2008, 06:56:40 PM
Hey, I know it's off-topic, but I was curious - if Jozua knows people's names when she sees them, what about people who go by aliases, like everyone in the Brotherhood? How about people who have changed their names, like John Rhee? Or people who don't even remember their own name, like another one of my characters, Zero?

I think there may be some interesting story possibilities there. :)

Jozua Cure
Oct 26th, 2008, 08:26:26 AM
Untouchable brought that one up. I did think about that; I'm not too decided. I think it would certainly be useful for her - perhaps it could be a development of her power. I'm planning for it to develop so that she see the names of people she sees in photographs or on TV. So, for the moment, she can just see a person's true name.

I'll be sure to update her bio when her power develops - thanks for your suggestion and interest! ^^

Captain Untouchable
Oct 26th, 2008, 09:26:22 PM
Couple of thoughts, to add to the ones mentioned above:

- Lex Luthor's real first name is Alexander, but everyone calls him Lex. Which version of his name would Jozua know? Would it depend on whether he thinks of himself as being "Lex", or would she always know his true/full name?

- Sylar in Heroes throws off his given name of Gabriel Grey, and insists on being called Sylar. Would Jozua see him as Sylar (because that's how he thinks of himself)? If so, can other people trick Jozua's power by altering their self-image?

- What if someone gets married? Would Jozua see their maiden name, or would her power somehow know what her married name was?

- How about Macie Finch? If Sam is in control, does she see that it is someone new? Might be something you can work in over time to help reveal a little more about Sam as a character trait.