PDA

View Full Version : Walk in the park.(Cullen's)

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 4th, 2008, 07:13:42 PM
Thomas stood outside his mothers room he closed his eyes as he said his final fair well, knowing that this would destroy his mother.

"I love you Ma', but I can't stay."

Carefully he opened his front door and walked out. The street was empty with only the streetlamps to light his way. At the end of the street he crossed the road and entered the park. He walked slowly through the park he had no clue where to go. He remembered hearing about a place that helped gifted children. He started looking into Cullen's but wasn't sure what to really make of it. His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps that were not his own. He looked back and saw a man walking behind him. Maybe he's just out for a stroll. . . Thomas thought as he went back to thinking out where he was headed.

Boulder
Oct 7th, 2008, 09:26:56 AM
Boulder walked along the path in the park, his mind preoccupied with what he was going to do. His grandmother was getting worse, and the pathetic ammount of money he'd managed to stash, which was was already gone; spent on whatever meager supplies to help his gramma feel better, was not enough to actually make a difference.

What am I going to do?

Looking up, Boulder noticed a young man, fairly well dressed, walking in the park ahead of him. That guy looks like he's got money. It's not usually my style, but I'm pretty desperate right now, and he does not look like a fighter. Boulder let out a sigh. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

Picking up his pace a little, Boulder started closing the distance between himself and the young man ahead of him.

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:03:33 PM
Thomas argued with himself as he made his way through the park.

I shouldn't have left like that. . . But wha' else could I have dun? I dun't know what's happenin' to me

That's why I left ma' so I wouldn't hurt her. Cullen's is the only place to go now.

His thoughts were interrupted again as he noticed that the man was still behind him. As he passed a lamp post he glanced back. The man was a little taller than he was and of a stronger build. His clothes were worn and grimy. He also noticed that he kept his right hand very close to his side as if he were hiding something. Well I definitely don't want to be here with you along Mr. Creepy. Thomas thought as he quickened his pace to get to the other end of the park faster, which was still about a five minute walk. Paying more attention to his stalker he noticed that the man had also quickened his pace and was almost right behind him.

Boulder
Oct 7th, 2008, 08:11:13 PM
The guy in front of him must have gotten the wrong idea...or the right one about Boulder and quickened his pace. It's now or never... Boulder pulled his hand out of his pocket. The size and strength difference between them was obvious. In all likelihood, Boulder would not need to pull out any of the rocks he had in his pocket.

Running up, Boulder grabbed the young kid in front of him by the shoulder and spun him around violently. "There's no need for you to get hurt. pull out your wallet slowly, drop it on the ground, and be on your way, " Boulder sternly demanded. He drew himself up to his full height for added intimidation. The whole time, Boulder was thinking, Man, I hate doing this so much...reminds me too much of the bullies in my school. But he justified it to himself quickly. Differences are, I'm not out to hurt the kid, and I actually have a good reason to need the money. I'm not taking it just to take it. Boulder felt better about what he was doing tonight, but not much better.

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 8th, 2008, 02:11:14 PM
Thomas found himself in a vice grip by his stalker. He stumbled to find words

"I. . . I. . . I haven't any money. . . Please don't. . . "

Thomas couldn't think of anything else to do but to beg. In his excitement though, his Irish brogue had gotten fuller. Da'. . . Thomas was only able to think of his father as he looked into the eyes of this bully. Thomas reached up and grabbed his wrist. The man would start to fill tired. The longer Thomas held on he would soon be fast asleep.

Boulder
Oct 8th, 2008, 03:00:29 PM
Boulder was no psychiatrist, but he'd been in the kid's position before and could tell he wasn't lying. Lairs didn't stutter and stammer and beg like that. Lairs tried to make up excuses, or they faked not having money.

Looks like a bad choice for me tonight. What do I do with him now...?

Boulder ignored the kids hand on his wrist, after all, he couldn't break his grip without kung-fu or something, and let out a heavy sigh as he bored a hole into the kid's forehead with his stare. Boulder's mind started to drift a little and his eyes started to lose focus a little.

"Wha...?" Boulder's hands started to loosen, and he slapped the kid's hand away and took a few steps back. After about a minute of struggling to figgure out what was going on, Boulder went down to his knees, and fell face first onto the grass, asleep.

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 10th, 2008, 08:12:21 PM
Thomas was sure he had officially pissed his pants as the man seemed to growl as he bore a whole through his head with his eyes. Feeling the man loosen his grip Thomas closed his eyes readying himself for the blow he was sure that was coming. He felt his feet hit the ground as the sound of a giant thud in front of him. He barely opened one eye as he looked to the ground to see the giant man laying still as the grave. Thomas was shaking from head to foot. He was not sure what had just happened. He looked around and saw no one.

Wha' the. . . How. . .

many questions raced through his mind as he continued to stare at the man. He knelt down to get a closer look at the man.

He's breathing. . . But barely.

He reached out and tapped the man on the shoulder and ponced back like a kitten playing with a ball of string for the first time. He repeated the movement two more times before he decided that the man was out cold.

Stern
Oct 11th, 2008, 11:31:38 PM
Stern's right arm was recently tied to his torso, keeping it in full isolation so as not to move the shoulder that was broken a week or so before. It had made putting on clothes difficult, but he managed it just fine with the help of Anita.

Of course, it helped that he had her take the clothes he was wearing for their date in advance. Then all Stern had to do was light jump there, have Anita help him with his shirt, and then he got to take her out to dinner and then for a walk in the park.

He kept her on his left side because of his injury as they walked arm in arm. Stern's glow gave them light to see by and prevented anyone from sneaking up on them in the park.

For once, the night time darkness didn't bother Stern at all.

"You're beautiful."

It was their first "official" date. Stern had been excited about it for days. He wanted to lean in and kiss her with intent, not like the accidental kiss they shared when he first returned.

But it would keep. Timing, after all, was most important in things like this.

Suddenly Stern could see out ahead someone on the ground and another man standing over the first. He tensed out of reflex and made to budge his busted arm. Of course it didn't move and the pain killers assisted in keeping him from feeling the bad results of such instinct.

Instead Stern pulled Anita closer to him and held her tightly around the waist.

He narrowed his eyes and faded his light a little so he could get a better view in the darkness.

"Stay close by me. I don't know what this guy wants, but if it's trouble, I'm your shield. Don't ask questions, don't protest. Say yes sir and move if I make you."

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 11th, 2008, 11:52:01 PM
Thomas knelt down and reached out with shaking hands and touched the man on the neck to check for a pulse just to make sure the man was really out cold and not trying to trick him. As his hand touched the Boulder's shoulder he closed his eyes and took some deep breaths trying to calm himself. As their skin touched an image flashed through Thomas' mind.

Tha's odd I don't know any ol' lady tha's sick.

Standing up Thomas looked around and saw a couple walking his way. Not really knowing what the situation looked like he took off running towards them.

Anita Stern
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:44:34 AM
She didn't mind the proximity - his clothes served as a barrier to any constant onslaught of thoughts, so she was well able to just be herself and not have to think about managing her 'gift'. It was a nice change, and it really made her realize that she hadn't relaxed in longer than she thought. When they happened upon one man standing, one man fallen, Anita listen carefully to what Michael had to say, and when he squeezed her tighter to himself, she held closer as well. It wasn't out of fear, but knowing herself and that she was pretty limited in options for defense and offense on her own. She assessed the details of what she saw, and when the other man noticed herself and her companion watching, the guy spooked and ran...towards them?

Anita curled her fingers into Sterns shirt, and narrowed her eyes, trying to gain a look over of the man - no, boy, now she saw it - that was quickly approaching. Whatever was going on with this boy, and the man unconscious he'd left behind, it was not anywhere near calm.

"Michael..." She paused, her mind having come up with warning. "...don't let him touch you."

The petite woman was likely making an assumption, but the boy didn't look like the type to have knocked the burly man on the ground out cold. He was too skinny, lacking physical prowess, and didn't seem to be one to use nefarious tactics - and he looked a little scared, to boot.

"Just trust me, don't let him touch you."

Stern
Oct 12th, 2008, 11:23:44 AM
Stern nodded and stood ready. He shifted his body so he stood squarely between the kid and Anita. If he was desperate for trouble, he was going to get it.

"Close your eyes."

Stern waited for the boy to draw in close and flared. With the distraction of the bright light, he took a step to the side (taking Anita with him), and tripped the boy so he fell over.

"Slow down, there. I don't know what your trouble is, but I would suggest settling down. If you're intent on hurting someone, you've crossed the wrong man."

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 12th, 2008, 04:52:05 PM
WHA' THA'

Thomas thought as his eyes where filled with light issuing from Stern. The next thing he knew he was on the ground with a bloody nose.

"Idon'twanttrouble. . . Ijustwan'help."

Thomas spat out quickly with a thick Irish ascent.

I must hav hit me head harder than I thought.

He thought as he looked at the glowing man?

Anita Stern
Oct 12th, 2008, 11:55:09 PM
Anita cringed a little when she saw the scraping and blood from the trip the kid had taken but she felt relief that he was otherwise no worse for wear. Her fingers uncurled a little from Stern's shirt when the boy said something about 'help' and trying to acquire it. Sage went to reach a hand out, but hesitated; she heeded her own warning.

"Help..." The brainiac mutant repeated "...with what?"

She looked to the unconscious man, then turned her head to look in the direction this kid had been running to. Again with the questions, but not looking at the one to which she was giving them. She settled into her companion a little.

"What happened here?" She said, almost not really looking for an answer. She looked at the much younger man out the corner of her eye.

"Where are you going?" Anita said pointedly, finally.

Stern
Oct 12th, 2008, 11:58:26 PM
Stern rolled the kid over with the tip of his shoe.

"Really," he said, agreeing with Anita. "If you need help, there's better ways to get it. You look suspicious out here. People more often than not get the wrong impression."

As of yet Stern made no move to help the kid up. He did dim his glow.

"What are you running from? What help do you need? You took care of that guy pretty easy."

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 13th, 2008, 09:41:30 AM
Thomas cursed under his breath as the was rolled over. Reaching up with a shaking hand he touched his nose that caused tears to swell in his eyes. He looked back between the two and finally addressed Anita who, concidering the events of the night, was the nicer of the two.

"I. . .I. . .I didn't mean tu. Tha' man wus tryin' tu rob me. Tha next thing I know he's on the ground. I'm just tryin' ta get ta Cullen's alright. There've been really strange things happen' ta me lately."

He didn't even try to get up, he didn't want any more trouble from these two. With the pain finally setteling down he looked at Stern.

"An' ya know ya didn't even let me get a bloody ward in before ya went all super nova on me. Thanks a lot."

""

Anita Stern
Oct 13th, 2008, 10:49:56 AM
Anita didn't let on that she knew anything about Cullens, smiling politely as the boy explained himself. She didn't know why he was still on the ground, and if any other passerby's happened upon them, the whole scene would look a little strange. With this in mind, she considered a moment what she would say and do.

"Strange how...?" Then immediately upon that, more words. "Can you stand? He - " She tipped her head sideways at Stern... "- won't trip you again, honest. Unless you give good reason for him to do so."

The details of who and what she and Stern were would be divulged either when the kid asked or when she deemed it appropriate. Even though Stern's glow would give him away as a mutant easily, Anita's status had always been a little harder to divulge. For all intents and purposes, she seemed quite normal standing there.

Stern
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:03:05 AM
Stern was still mildly put off. "If you saw a guy standing over another person and then they suddenly charged at you, would you catch them in a bear hug, or clothesline the the guy?"

Stern held out his left arm, crooking it at the elbow so the kid would grab his shirt sleeve when he hauled himself up. "Cullens. That's in New York state. There a bus station around here you were planning to visit?"

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 13th, 2008, 06:00:52 PM
"I didn't give 'em a reason in tha farst place."

Thomas answered as he looked at Anita like she was insane. He ignored Stern's offer and pushed himself off the ground. His head spun as he stood up and tears filled his eyes once more, because of the pressure change. Gaining his balance he looked at Stern and smiled.

"I see yar point. But all ya had ta do was yar little 'flame on' trick ta stop me dead in me tracks."

Thomas was hinting at Sterns powers, but wasn't sire he really wanted to know so he went back to talking with Anita.

"I mean I'd go ta sleep and wake up with tha things tha' I dreamed of. Me ma' thought I was stealin' 'um. Then add on tanight's lovely events I think I need to go see someone who has experience with this kinda thing."

Thomas smiled once again as he looked at Anita who reminded him of his old girlfriend.

Anita Stern
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:47:12 PM
"I see... so you're headed to the Cullen's Institute..." She was half-talking, half-thinking out loud. A moment passed, then she looked to Thomas again, and nodded.

"Yes, yes I see. I guess you're lucky." The boy looked at her, a little confused. Anita looked to Stern, watching his face a moment, then back to the confused-looking Thomas Seagraves, then smiled a little for herself. It was the first time she'd encountered a potential student, rather than greeting one on his or her first day at the Institute. And she'd barely been there a year herself. There's a first time for everything.

"I'm Anita Florence, Cullen's Institute professor and librarian." She put her arm across her midsection and reached for Stern's hand. "Don't mind it if I don't shake your hand."

Stern
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:50:59 PM
Stern took her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I'm Michael Stern."

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 14th, 2008, 03:38:37 PM
Thomas' jaw dropped when Anita said she was from Cullen's.

"Yar from Cullen's? Him-"

He nodded towards Stern.

"I'd believe. . . but not you."

Thomas started to extend his had to Stern for introduction but thought the better of it. Shoving his hand's into his pockets he gave a weak, bloody, smile.

"I'm Thomas. . . Thomas Seagraves. As ya might have guessed I'm not from theese parts."

Anita Stern
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:18:21 PM
Anita nodded. The boy was definitely out of place, accent considering.

"I may not look it or even remotely seem that way, but I've got my own gifts." She held out her one free hand. "I could tell you what Michael here is thinking, I could tell you where his shirt was before he put it on. I could tell you what that man on the ground was thinking as he took each step across this pavement."

She withdrew her hand.

"I touch things... people... and they give up their secrets to me."

She remembered everything she acquired. None of it went away. She also remembered every sound, smell, sight, touch and taste. But, no point in giving away all the details.

"How were you planning on getting there, Thomas?"

Stern
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:26:42 PM
Stern raised an eyebrow. "Maybe you can tell me where it was. I had to get my Mom to find it."

The woman insisted on doing his laundry since he was injured, and most of his good shirts were still waiting to be ironed. Of course, his mom managed her household in a manner known only to her.

"I'd really like to know where my shirts are going."

He muttered under his breath about his clothes ending up in his dad's closet, and then returned to the kid.

"You're ok."

Stern produced a napkin from his pocket and handed it to Thomas. "Here, let's get you cleaned up. I wonder if there's a pancake house open late at night. I think some chocolate chip pancakes would help right about now."

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 15th, 2008, 05:42:03 PM
Thomas couldn't help but smile at the couple, at how they interacted with each other. He was going to miss that with his girlfriend. He looked at the napkin and them reached for it. He held it up to his nose as he tried to get a little pressure on it to stop the bleeding. He laughed at Stern.

"I"m fine. I've gotten into a lot warse. I'm like a dragonbarn in D&D the site of me own blood makes me fight harder."

He wasn't sure if they would get the analogy but he thought it was a good one. Thomas looked at Anita.

"Yar telepathic? That's got to be hard."

Anita Stern
Oct 15th, 2008, 11:49:48 PM
She didn't quite understand the 'D&D' comment, though she was quite aware of what it was. Anita winced slightly at the 'telepathic' comment.

"Not quite. My powers are more psychometric in nature, though the information doesn't leave after a period of time. I can touch a book and know its entire contents, for example."

She smiled, and nudged Stern, hinting that they should start walking to find somewhere to nosh. "Still, it's been hard, for other reasons."

Stern
Oct 16th, 2008, 09:25:15 AM
"Some guys at ESU used to play that game in the study room of my dorm once a week. I've read some of the books they had laying around."

Stern motioned for them to move in a direction, looping Anita's arm in his.

"Nearly forgot. I'm Michael Stern," he said to Thomas. "You know a place for pancakes close by here?"

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 16th, 2008, 09:27:58 PM
"Aye, thar's a place not far from here. Just a few blocks over. I believe it's a Waffle House Though."

Thomas turned to walk with them. As they walked away Thomas turned and looked at the man that was on the ground.

I can't believe I did that.

Thomas raised his eyes and looked beyond the park to his house, sighed then turned his attention back to the path.

"You have yar mother do yar cloths."

Thomas chuckled as he looked at Stern. He watched as Anita intertwine her self with Stern. He must admit that he missed having a girl hand on him like that.

"Um, to be honest I don't have a way to get to Cullen's. I have on money, that's why tough guy over thar jumped me."

Anita Stern
Oct 18th, 2008, 10:44:13 PM
Anita 'ohhhed' at Thomas' explanation of why the big man was on the ground. He looked like all the other big, mean biker types, but the look on his face as he lay there out cold made her think otherwise of him. But a question hit her...

"Well...but why did he do it? And how did you get him into an unconscious state?" She wondered out loud.

Stern
Oct 18th, 2008, 10:47:47 PM
Stern shrugged. He looked over the body. The man had some raggedy clothes. He was bald too. Not much for catching fire, especially with all that leather. Flare, Jump, and then beat his brains out. That's all there would have to be to that.

"Yeah, what did you do?"

Boulder
Oct 18th, 2008, 10:47:52 PM
Boulder rolled over, wriggling around on the ground trying to get comfortable, eventually curling up into a ball, right arm out along the ground, head resting on it, as he peacefully slept and dreamed.

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 18th, 2008, 10:58:02 PM
"Um. . . Nuthing. He had me by tha throat I reached up to see if I could try and pull him off, but he was to strong. Next thing I knew he was out."

Thomas looked at Anita as he talked. He jumped behind Stern and grabbed him by the shoulders to move him in between himself and the unconscious man as he moved on the ground.

Anita Stern
Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:53:38 PM
The boy was quite obviously frightened by the man on the ground, but the man on the ground was still harmless, unconscious, just rolling over in his slumber. At least he wasn't snoring. Anita didn't know whether she'd laugh or not if Baldy started doing so, but aside from that she wondered what he was dreaming about, lying there, looking so peaceful. Like a big baby. The thought made her smile, just a little.

"Calm down, Thomas. He's harmless." She cast a glance over her shoulder at the young man, who was practically digging his fingers into her date. Stern was grimacing a bit under the weight against his still sensitive shoulder. "People shift about in their sleep. It's normal."

She laughed, only mildly, being concerned about the discomfort the boy was causing Stern. "You might want to unhand Michael, though...He's not enjoying this." She said, matter-of-factly.

Stern
Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:00:09 AM
Stern resisted his urge to flare as his arm and shoulder started to scream at him.

"Yeah, buddy. I need you to let go."

Of course, Stern wasn't worried about the bald man waking up. If he did, it would take him a while to realize where he was and what was going on. Plenty of time for Stern to kick him in the temple and knock him out again.

"Don't sweat that guy. Let's go get those pancakes."

Stern noticed off in the distance a sign for a pancake house. "We're going. Chocolate chip pancakes, and lots of them. We're getting fat, boys and girls."

He picked up his pace a bit, but not so much that Anita couldn't stay with him. If he were in better condition, he would have just hefted her onto his back and ran the distance.

"Hurry up, Thomas. Those flapjacks won't eat themselves!"

Thomas Seagraves
Oct 24th, 2008, 11:36:05 AM
"Oh! I'm sorry!"

Thomas said as he realized what he was doing. He gave a weak smile as he smoothed out Michael's shirt. Stern would start to feel a slight pull at his eyes as Thomas continued to touch him. Cells from Thomas' hand would work their way slowly through his shirt and rest on his skin.

Tha' wus embarrassing.

Thomas thought as he took one last glance at the man on the ground and took off after Anita and Michael.

Anita Stern
Oct 31st, 2008, 08:46:24 PM
Anita laughed, going along with Michael. He sometimes had an odd sense of humour - of course a stack of chocolate chip pancakes wasn't going to turn her into a balloon, but the kid was skinny enough that he looked like he would need two or more stacks to fill out - daily, at that. She was more a fan of belgian waffles herself, but who could really argue with chocolate? After a little walking, she heard the jog of Thomas trying to catch up.

"Nice of you to join us, Mr. Seagraves." She laughed a little to herself. "So you intend to go to Cullens, hmm?"

Stern
Oct 31st, 2008, 09:36:38 PM
Stern considered a moment. "Well, let's see. Anita, how did you get down here?"

Stern couldn't remember if she drove or flew. Stern of course traveled by way of his light-jump. He checked his pocket for the money his parents lent him for the date. Without a job as yet, Stern was very short on cash.

He flipped through the bills discretely. "Maybe we can get you a bus fare to Cullen's."

Thomas Seagraves
Nov 1st, 2008, 09:39:29 PM
Thomas slowed his walk as he, suddenly felt as if he was intruding. Remember that these two were by themselves when he met them.

"I'll make it thar. I've got sum cash stashed in my shoe."

Thomas smiled as he lied to the couple. He felt bad for encroaching on the two.

"Thanks far yar help. I hope to see ya thar soon."

Anita Stern
Dec 18th, 2008, 03:47:37 AM
Anita felt strange at the boy's brushing her and Michael off. Something about his words didn't sit right.

"Now... Hey, hold on... Thomas!" She nearly shouted at him. She wasn't about to let some kid she felt a mild concern for just up and walk off so nonchalantly. It was almost (almost!) insulting, but she was aware that even if that was the impact, it was not the intent. She let go of Michael and jogged up to Thomas in her feminine attire, stopping just short of him, causing him to stop when she did, and being rather cautious as to not touch him. For her sake, and his.

"We were serious about the pancakes. And I think there's more about you that you're not letting on about... that I, as a faculty member of Cullen's, would like to know." She paused, breathed in, out, and smiled almost - nearly - pleadingly. "Please? If anything, it'll make your integration a little easier."

Stern
Dec 18th, 2008, 08:37:17 PM
Stern nodded. "Get used to it kid. The basic stupid questions: what grade, favorite subject, mutant power, celebrity crush."

He stretched and moved his body a bit, the unspoken first signs that Stern was getting sleepy. "And we are totally serious about those pancakes. Nothing solves grand enigmas of life like breakfast food."

Thomas Seagraves
Dec 21st, 2008, 02:29:55 AM
Thomas did not quit look at Anita as she spoke, his head was low as he looked over her shoulder to a near by bush.

"Ar ya sure ya don't wan to finish yar date. . . ?"

He was put on the spot and could not lie his way out.

"I don't wan ta impose or nothan."

His face blushed slightly as he looked to Micheal and then to Anita.

Anita Stern
Jan 1st, 2009, 02:54:38 AM
Anita blushed at the question, and offered a sweet smile.

"It's fine, Thomas. You take the unexpected when it happens. There should be plenty more opportunities for me and Michael to spend time with each other. I think you're more immediate. So..."

She turned and walked back to Stern, wanting the boy to follow. His politeness was almost stubborn, twinged with some underlying fear. It boggled her mind what he would have to fear from her, but Stern on the other hand seemed a little more intimidating these days. She could tell from the way Thomas looked at him. It was oddly comforting, that he could make that impression, strange as it was. Anita got back to Stern and smiled at him, then looked back to Thomas... who hadn't budged an inch.

"...are you coming or are we just going to stand here at an impasse?"

Stern
Jan 1st, 2009, 03:07:45 AM
Michael Stern gave his arm back to Anita, who looped her arm in his.

"Yeah, come on. There wasn't much left to do anyway but say good night. We'll get some pancakes and then once that's done, I need to head back to New York."

Stern took a deep breath and stifled another yawn. "We don't bite. It'll be good for you to spend some time with other people like yourself."

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 1st, 2009, 08:40:18 PM
Thomas listened as Anita spoke, she was so in tune with what he was feeling. He smiled as he shoved his hands into his pockets and went to follow the couple.

"I'm coming."

He looked at the ground as he walked along with the two. A few moments of silenced passed as they walked. Wanting to break the silence he looked at Michael and asked.

"New York? That's where the school is?"

Anita Stern
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:48:35 PM
She nudged Stern as she looped her arm through his, that hand holding to his upper arm, the other reaching across, to touch on the lower half.

Anita almost answered, the very words for an answer popping up in her mind, but Thomas was addressing Michael, so she decided to be quiet, leaning into Stern a little and looking up to him, awaiting whatever words he would use to answer. She knew she could talk enough for all three of them, but she wouldn't let herself take over the conversation, no matter how brimming full her brain was. It was only polite to let others have their say.

Stern
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:58:36 PM
Stern nodded. "More like the suburbs. It's in Manchester, I think. The grounds are all very well kept and green. It looks almost more like a big house or something than a school. I have to get to New York for--" he paused a second--"other reasons. Anita has to stay for her librarian's convention."

They reached the restaurant and Stern opened the door for Anita and Thomas to enter. They were seated and got their drinks ordered. Stern didn't bother looking at a menu.

"The best part about restaurant chains is that even though there's nothing unique or special about them, you know they have your favorites." He covered his mouth with his hand and gave a slight yawn.

"Why Cullen's, Thomas? What is it about that place that you want to go there?"

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:43:26 PM
Thomas did not say anything to Michael's question immediately, he just walked silently with them. Looking back to the ground as he talked.

"Well. . . I was told that I was 'special' when my family lived in Ireland. I did not quite understand what that meant till one day I was walking home, like tonight, with some friends and I put my hand up to grab a friends neck, and a few moments latter he had passed out. Then odd things started happening. . ."

He was telling his story, but was very timid. He spoke only above a whisper.

"We moved here and things got worse. I noticed I would end up with things from Ireland. So I started looking for a place I can go so I would not worry my mother any more than what she already is. I was online reading some news article about Cullen's and it's 'Special' students. So I decided to go there."

Finishing his story he stopped talking altogether and would not up.

Anita Stern
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:20:38 AM
Anita nodded while listening to Thomas, sipping from her iced tea at intervals. The explanation of his gift told her that the bald-headed man that was laid out on the sidewalk when they encountered Thomas Seagraves was unconscious due to that gift. There couldn't possibly be any other viable reason, since the boy didn't look to be the type to knock out a man twice his size - at least - with his own two fists. That was something she could imagine Michael Stern doing, though she had yet to see anything to prove this imagining - his detailing of his scars the night of his return was proof enough, in any case.

"You've made a good decision, Thomas, and I thank you for your honesty. I'm willing to help you in any way I can." Anita 'Sage' Florence said with a gentle smile, and remembering his reluctance at the original mention of assistance: "You just have to be willing to let me."

Stern
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:10:27 PM
Stern yawned, "Well, that explains a lot," he said. "No wonder I feel sleepy. Whatever you do to make people fall asleep must seep through clothes because--" he yawned again--"I'm feeling very tired."

Stern propped his head up by putting his elbow on the table and resting his face in his free hand. "It's ok though. Unless you try to do something malicious to me or Anita while I'm out. In which case I will hunt you down, beat you to a pulp," he yawned a third time, "and set your head on fire."

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:29:37 AM
Thomas' smile lasted only moments until he heard Michael's threat, one he could tell he could carry out. Thomas dropped his head and looked off to the side. He had never told anyone about these things, so why was he spilling his guts out to two perfect strangers. As they waited for service to come Thomas seemed to fold himself in half as he drew his knees to his chest and rested the heels of his feet on the very edge of the booth he was sitting on.

"Sorry. . ."

Was the only thing they might have been able to hear if they where able to hear him at all.

Anita Stern
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:22:53 AM
Anita wanted to reach out and comfort the boy with a touch or something - odd that such a compulsion was hitting her, considering - but she didn't act on it, knowing now what she knew. However, that didn't stop her from doing her best and doing her job.

"Thomas... It's alright. Your gift is still new and unusual to you. You'll just have to learn to watch what you do, especially around others." She said with an air of calm. It was a lesson she herself had to learn early on with her own contact-based powers.

"I would suggest, as a simple precaution, a pair of gloves. Since the physical end of your gift is contact-based, it should help."

Stern
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:11:25 PM
Stern nodded and asked the woman waiting their table for a pot of coffee. "No, really," he said to her when she asked him to clarify, "I want a whole pot."

Bleary eyed, the glowing mutant looked wearily at Thomas. "Yeah, Anita has the right idea. Until you find out if you can some how turn that on and off, it's a good idea to try to keep yourself covered."

He chuckled a bit. "How funny would that be to bump into people on the subway or whatnot during the day? Tons of people acting like they have narcolepsy all over the place."

The coffee arrived and Stern put in the creamers and sugars and very carefully started drinking from the pot. "That's very hot coffee," he said.

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 12th, 2009, 12:01:30 AM
Thomas was feeling a little bit bettter hearing that he was not alone. He straightened up slightly though, from years of slouching, he was still slightly curved. He reached out to grab his glass of tea just as the waitress reached over to refill if and ended up grabbing her hand instead. Thomas' eyes grew wide with fear as he continued to hold on. The waitress smiled at him as she laughed.

"It's ok. Happens every so often. . . . "

The next thing he new she had fallen flat on the floor barely missing the table. Thomas was in shock.

"No no no no no. . . . . "

Stupid. . . Stupid!!!

Anita Stern
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:19:47 PM
It made Anita smile wonderfully when she could see that Thomas was starting to relax. Everyone was getting into better space when suddenly, Thomas accidentally grasped the waitress' hand, then fear at what they all (except the waitress) knew would happen next flashed up on the boy's face. The girl laughed a little at his honest mistake, and then next, she was out cold and out flat, having crashed to the floor. Anita shot up in her seat and planted her hands firmly on the table, staring down at the now-unconscious woman, then turning her hard gaze on Thomas.

"That is exactly the kind of thing you will learn to be careful of and avoid." She uttered sternly, pityingly. then looked up from there, to the faces of the other patrons and staff, the look on her own face softening. Then she looked to Stern, then back to the strangers around them, who were more than likely to judge.

Stern
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:51:56 PM
Stern blinked sleepily. Maybe the coffee wasn't helping after all. At least he could help set the situation right.

"Oh dear. It looks like she fainted from an inflamed Gladys."

Anita turned to look at him, but he placed a hand on the back of her slender neck so she would know what he was up to.

"She should have gone to the doctor and gotten her Gladys checked. It's not serious, it'll probably pass her by in a day, but you shouldn't be working or on your feet for long periods of time when you have problems with your Gladys."

Stern motioned for another server to get him a coffee cup. The new server showed up and gave him the mug, then looked at her co-worker.

"Just see to it that she gets home and can get some rest. She probably won't wake up until the morning, so get some help moving her if you can. It's important that she stays asleep until her Gladys gets under control."

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 14th, 2009, 09:02:29 PM
Thomas curled as tightly as he could into a ball, placing his face into the darkness of his arms it felt like the whole world disappeared. Taking slow deep breathes he slowed his heart rate and focused on the nothingness he saw. Soon he was sound asleep, a coping mechanism he learned some time ago when his father died. Though he was asleep he saw everything around him as clear as day. The others would see a second Thomas materialize next to the real one. He looked around, stood up and walked out of the restaurant.

Anita Stern
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:39:37 PM
While Stern was speaking, Anita was surveying the other patrons with her eyes, becoming very aware of the unease and mild undertone of confusion, fear and in some cases, anger. The populace of any town, city or country is mixed on their feelings about mutants, and in situations like this, when even assumed harm comes to one of non-mutant stock, their compatriots are more than likely to be disagreeable. The establishment was becoming thicker with a complicated tension that would take more than a butterknife to cut.

Unconsciously, completely without considered thought, Anita shrunk back from her standing position a little, slowly bringing a hand to touch on Stern's shoulder. From where she sat on the inside of the booth, it was his left shoulder that took this, and the realization of the implications didn't occur to her. Then her fingers dug in at the tips, and her eyes widened at the changing faces and the image of Thomas Seagraves slipping out the door.

But... Isn't he...

She looked down at the table, at the curled form of Thomas, then again at the one stepping out beyond the doorframe. She stiffened further.

"Michael...."

Stern
Jan 15th, 2009, 09:02:09 PM
"Yeah," Stern growled. "I know."

Thomas just walked out but was yet still asleep. No doubt a second part of his mutation. Stern was ticked off royal about the whole situation. Thomas made a simple mistake--one that was getting fixed really well. The Gladys thing had very nearly worked.

But instead Thomas had a mild fit of panic and then suddenly dropped off like he had narcolepsy. He had quite a dilemma on his hands. He could chase down the second Thomas and kick him across the park. If Stern did, Anita would be alone with the unconscious Thomas amongst the myriad hostile normal people.

Stern could stick around and protect a girl he was very much falling in love with. Of course, the end result should any of them strike first would end up making Stern one of those bad "dangerous" mutants.

He could just get out with Anita while he had the chance and just leave Thomas in the restaurant. People would probably fall asleep as soon as they hit him. Maybe he'd wake up bruised, but he stood a fair chance of making it out alive. Might even teach him a lesson.

"Anita," he said at last. "If you feel threatened, then you need to step into a bathroom stall or something. Feel free to leave the kid there. I'm going to go find the other him, let him know just how poorly he's handling the situation, and set his head on fire. And if he's very very lucky, I'll do it in that order."

He turned to her and pulled her close into a big hug. "If you get too scared, call my cell. I'll be back here before you can blink."

He wanted to kiss her or something, but he held back. It wouldn't be cool for their first kiss to be one of comfort in the face of danger. He wanted her memory of their first kiss to be one of romance and passion. This would be the last time Stern ever bothered to help out some punk kid.

Then he light jumped to Thomas' other identity and clothes-lined him with his good left arm. "Where do you think you're going?" he bellowed.

Adrenaline surged through him, completely dispelling the sleepiness he felt moments before.

"You going to leave me and Anita to twist for your mistake? It was under control and you ran off!"

Stern snarled and flared. "If this is how you handle everyone you know when the going gets rough, then it's no wonder you're on your own! Don't bother going to Cullen's! You better pray I leave you just alive enough to let you crawl to a hospital!"

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:29:32 PM
As Thomas walked out in the parking lot of the restaurant Michael 'popped' out in front of him catching him by the neck with his good arm, but instead of hitting the ground he flipped around his arm and landed on his feet, one fluid motion. Thomas looked at him as if he had never seen him before.

"What are you talking about?"

Something was different about this Thomas, the way he walked, talked, and all his mannerisms were different. His accent was completely gone and he walked with a confidence that the other Thomas, no matter how hard he tried would never have. It was like the world was his. Then something happened, he faded for a second, like a glitch on a computer. In the restaurant someone had walked over to the table where the other Thomas was and started yelling.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER YOU FREAK!!!"

A large burly man had grabbed Thomas by his shirt and was shaking him, as his limp limbs waved lifeless by his sides. The more that man in the restaurant yelled and shook Thomas the lighter and more ghostly the other became till the one outside was not their anymore. Thomas' eyes shot open as he looked into the face of his attacker. There was only one thing for him to do. He grabbed the man by his wrist and pried them off him, causing the man to go to his knees in pain and dreariness. Kneeing him in the temple sent him to the ground out cold. There was something in Thomas' eyes that was not there before. It was determination to prove something to someone, and defense for Anita.

"Ar ya alright?"

Thomas asked Anita as he looked around.

"Where's Michael?"

Anita Stern
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:09:41 PM
When the large man came and yanked the unconscious Thomas out of his seat, Anita had been sliding to the aisle out of the booth and almost tripped her way out in surprise at the sudden act, falling back against one of the wait staff, who almost was bowled over herself in catching the frightened librarian. Looking thankfully and pityingly on her catcher, with the present fear still underlying the emotions present on her face, Anita looked again to the enraged man that was now shaking the dickens out of poor Thomas, who didn't yet fully understand the weight of the world when it came to being a mutant.

Balling her fists, still rather afraid, the petite woman was looking shaken by the raging bull of a man's shouts and shakes.

"LET HIM GO!" She demanded. "Stop this right now!"

A sob came to her breathing, and out through her voice. "He's just a boy, he doesn't know... doesn't know how to handle himself!"

And at that point, Thomas seemed to awaken and much to Anita's surprise, save himself from the man. However, not in the best of ways, which was bound to make the situation worse. It was also the first time that Anita would find herself this angry, because of it. Crossing her arms tightly was all she could do to keep herself from outright wanting to slap the boy she just moments before was attempting to defend. Taking in a shuddered breath, and attempting to calm herself while still looking a good bit cross and still rather frightened, she slowly answered Thomas' question.

"He's outside. And he's not the least bit happy with you." She breathed in, then out, and walked over to where her purse sat in the booth and her arm through the handles to hang it over her shoulder, dropping a couple twenties on the tabletop to pay for the drinks and the trouble. Then she pulled out a pristine white pair of gloves, with slim fingers suited for her small, long fingered hands, and slipped them on. Then she looked hard at Thomas, walked over to him, took a handful of his sleeve with one gloved hand, and began to walk towards the exit, pulling Thomas along.

"We're leaving. And you are not running away this time. Such cowardice will have to stop."

Stern
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:21:36 PM
Stern watched the second Thomas spin around his arm and disappear. It caught him by surprise for a second, but ultimately only made him angrier. Then he saw through the window a big man pick the sleeping figure by the collar and shake him violently.

Anita tripped and nearly fell, and when she faced the window again she was shouting and looking visibly upset.

"I have had enough!" Stern yelled and brightened in preparation for a light jump when the big man fell over and a moment later Anita had her things and was dragging Thomas out the door.

"Anita, you're too young and feminine to sully your hands with violence. Please, allow me."

Stern stalked towards Thomas and reached out for the hand off. "You have five seconds to start explaining just what your deal is before I decide to give you a real reason to panic."

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 16th, 2009, 09:49:02 PM
Thomas had no say in the matter to come with Anita, she dragged him out of the restaurant out into the night where Michael stood seething at Thomas. He was a bit fuzzy on what exactly was going on. The last thing he remembered was curling into the corner. How Michael got outside and how he ended up toppling another big man was still beyond his comprehension. Looking as Michael he said only what he knew.

"Befar we left Ireland the shrink told me that I had developed a 'copping mechanism' to deal with things that really troubled me. . . Sleeping. When I get really stressed out I fall asleep on the spot. It's somethin' I can' control. The reason we left home was because when I fell asleep people claimed to be seen' me around taken' things-"

He held up his ex-girlfriends necklace.

"Like this I don't know how I got it. It belonged to me garlfriend back home. I woke up one marnin' with it around me neck."

He hoped Michael would see that he was telling the truth. He knew that it sounded crazy, but it was all truth.

"An' tha's why I left home. It was tearen' me Mum apart. I couldn' let her go through this after lossin' me da as well."

As he was talking he reached up and rubbed his throat that was bright red as if he had just been hit in there.

"I'm sorry. I can understand if you don't wan to help me any more. I use to being left alone."

Anita Stern
Jan 16th, 2009, 11:13:43 PM
Anita released Thomas and backed off, letting Stern have his words with the boy. While she knew Michael could get just as rough as some of the patrons in the restaurant, sometimes that was what was necessary.

"Thomas..." She started, nibbling nervously at the tip of her right index finger, the other hand cupping that elbow. She removed her finger from between her teeth and continued. "...It's going to have to stop. Your coping mechanism is just another way to run away. You're going to have to learn to face and deal with your problems and fears head-on."

That sounded funny, perhaps even hypocritical coming from Anita, but she could understand where the boy was coming from, perhaps more than he would ever know. She glanced at Michael, who was still visibly not in the best of moods. She herself, was still a bit upset, but was handling it. She just didn't get angry like he did. It felt sickening later, and she knew it would later tonight.

"It's kids... kids like you that often need the most help. I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just saying that one incident, which most of us as mutants have one alike to tonight in the beginning of our journey to understand and control our gifts, is not enough to make me give up."

Stern
Jan 16th, 2009, 11:27:41 PM
Stern got nose to nose with the kid and continued the hard stare. His goggles hid his eyes completely, but he could tell that it didn't prevent him from looking angry and possibly even intimidating.

"Now I'm going to do what I said I would before we walked into that restaurant. I'm going to get you to Cullens, and I'm going to do it tonight. The sooner you're on that bus to New York, the better. In fact--" he noticed someone in the restaurant talking furiously into a phone.

"Look, point is now I have a lot of work on my hands. Thanks to your," he paused a moment, "fit" he said at last, "now we got two knocked out people, a whole bunch of panicking stupid people crying mutant terrorism. If they haven't called paramedics and police by now, someone will soon. Which means we got to get you out of here and fast."

He motioned for Anita to join him and started walking quickly in the direction of the nearest Greyhound station. "You're getting on the very next bus," he said to Thomas. "And no mistake. If you don't, you're in jail for a very long time. Perhaps even a mutant research center and you don't want that."

He wanted to pull Anita close to him to protect her, but he didn't want to treat her roughly or give her the wrong impression. "And I won't be going back to New York tonight after all. Anita still has one full day left of her conference and if anyone recognizes her and remembers that she was with you, then she's also in danger. Which means I have to make sure she stays safe. It means I got to find a place around here to sleep, if I sleep at all."

Stern looked around and kept a close eye out for police, people following from the restaurant, and thugs, thieves and murderers. The whole world was hostile.

"If anyone recognizes her and follows her back to her hotel, she could be attacked at night in her sleep. People have done a lot worse to mutant lovers for a lot less than what happened in that restaurant."

Stern stopped his furious stride and whirled around to face Thomas again. "You're going to Cullens, and you're going to learn to get a grip. And if Cullens can't help you do that, then I'll straighten you out myself. Is there an understanding between us?"

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 17th, 2009, 01:57:49 PM
Thomas stood there, silently, taking the verbal beating from Michael not growing angry, upset, depressed, but not backing away in fear either. He knew he had to get a grip. He was just happy that he was not being left alone. He shoved his hands into his pockets and started walking behind them silently. When Michael spun around and asked "Is there an understanding between us?" Thomas straightened up to his fullest hight and and nodded his head.

"Yes sir."

There was no anger, hatred or malice in his voice, but a small hint of admiration, and devotion to Michael.

"I will try my best. . ."

softly, almost unheard he added.

"Thank you."

Anita Stern
Jan 18th, 2009, 09:55:02 PM
Anita followed after Michael, breathing in, and sighing out deeply. She still felt a good bit agitated, but she knew keeping on that bent would be no good to herself or to Thomas. Michael, however... well, she would figure eventually how to help him come down from his angry bents. At least, she was fairly sure of it being possible that she could. Maybe. She snuck an arm around behind his back and rested her hand on the other side once he'd turned back around to face the direction in which he was headed, and tipped her head against him. Even with his mood, she was slowly starting to get used to, a bit at a time, being close to him.

Hearing - just barely - Thomas' thanks brought a smile to her face that was unlikely amidst tonight's events. The agitation within settled a little more.

He will learn...

She remembered when she was his age, having to learn self-control to protect herself, and others - and having done it on her own, without the benefit of a school like Cullen's. Boys like Thomas were rather fortunate in that fact - of course, Anita had been quite content to just keep it to herself and go through post-secondary education like any other normal student.

"You're welcome, Thomas. Everyone deserves a chance. Sometimes even a second." She said, just loud enough that it would reach the boy tailing behind herself and Stern.

Stern
Jan 19th, 2009, 06:12:51 PM
Stern waved Thomas forward as they neared the Greyhound station. "You're getting on the next available bus."

They approached the counter and Stern managed to buy a ticket just fifteen minutes before the last bus left. "You should be getting to the station at 8am tomorrow. I'll be there and we'll go to Cullens together."

He handed Thomas the ticket and was careful not to touch the young man directly. "Speak to no one. Just find your seat and take it easy. I hear these buses sometimes have weird people on them. And if anyone gives you trouble, just give them a sleep aid."

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:34:57 AM
Thomas carefully grabbed the ticket from Michael, and nodded as he gave his instructions on what to do. He looked from Michael to Anita and nodded his goodbye. As he turned a smile could be seen in his eyes. A bright new day was dawning for him, one filled with hope, and purpose. He was careful not to touch the other side of the ticket and made sure that non of his skin was exposed except his hands which he would stow in his pockets after he had given his ticket away. He walked a little farther and turned one last time to see the two who had, by far, been the most help for him since his father died.

Thank you. . . I'll tryn' make ya proud of me. . .

He found a seat and waited for the buss to arrive.

Thomas Seagraves
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:17:59 PM
The bus arrived a few minutes late. As Thomas approached the ticket gate he made sure not to let the ticket taker to touch him. He got on the bus and found a set that was in the back off to itself. A few moments latter the bus departed and started it's ride to New York. Looking out the window he made his final far-wells to his brother and Mom.

"Aye Luv ya Ma. Bro take good care of har while I'm gone."

With that he curled himself up and fell asleep to dream of his mother watching her as she slept. He bent over her and kissed her on the check.

I luv ya.

As he walked away he heard her mumble to herself for him not to go. He looked back to see tears rolling from her eyes. He turned and walked out of the room to be lost in the darkness of a deep, deep sleep.