PDA

View Full Version : Closer to Home, Further from the Truth

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:24:00 AM
It's 1 o'clock on this typical Chicago day. Weather's all colder then it was last week (80's to 50's!) and the Cubs are probably gonna blow their Pennant chances again (Not to mention the White Sox choked in their first game). What's nice is the Northwestern campus has exploded in beautiful fall colors all around me as I walk to my car after class. Leaves haven't started to fall too bad yet, but I know that their hanging on to dear life up their in the branches. Not wanting to let go to the inevitable death that awaits them in the weeks ahead.

Unlike me, they're part of the circle of life. Well ... unless someone chops off my head, but I'm trying not to be pessimistic this afternoon. I conquered Brahms today and I'm awesomely prepared for the recital this weekend, which is insanely important since it's part of my huge petition to graduate in the Spring next year!

Before I reach my car, I stop dead in my tracks. I can feel the color drain from my face as a tingle erupts in the back of my mind and shoots out to every extremity. I don't know whether to prepare for a face off with some Immortal that's gonna try for my head later, or jump for joy and tackle my long lost love. Or it could just be Kass again checking up on me at school. Either way, my eyes narrow and I scan the area, searching for the other Immortal in the area ...

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:43:33 AM
::Across the street, Brigid scans the streetcorner intently, but she's unable to spot Michele through the traffic. She turns her bike around, revving it up as she waits for the green light. Then she's off like a shot to see who gives pursuit ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:56:11 AM
Everything seems all right. I can't spot anything out of sorts, which is nice for a change. But that doesn't solve my issue of the Immortal nearby. If it were Kass or Niki, they woulda made themselves known by now.

My head snaps towards Superior Street as a motorcycle peels away in an awful hurry. BINGO!

I run to my Shelby, the precious '67 classic that Fiona gave to me. Custom painted midnight blue and fast as all hell. I would be able to easily catch up to that Immortal, even with the head start, long as traffic doesn't work against me.

I hop in, rev the engine and peel out of the parking lot, cutting off on coming traffic. Since it's still well before rush hour, traffic isn't too heavy. I can see the rider about eight car lengths ahead of me and I'm closing in. Thanks to Silas' memories and abilities, I'm quite at ease driving this car. I mean, I now know how to drive stick! Cutting across traffic and weaving through cars doesn't bother me anymore. It's actually a lot of fun, but no joy riding today. I have to catch up!

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:17:10 AM
:: Brigid couldn't help but smirk as she recognized her pursuer, and she cornered like a maniac as she made a right turn ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:22:33 AM
Great I missed the stop! Dammit!

Well, one good thing about Chicago, it's one big grid. Except for a few diagonal streets, all the streets run North/South, East/West. I make a right at the next street and zip down 25 miles over the speed limit to the next light. It's red right now and I'm revving the engine so I can quickly peel out once I spot that bike.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:30:02 AM
:: Brigid picks a backstreet and slips into it. She'd be nice and wait for kid sister to catch up ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:42:44 AM
Aha! I make an illegal right and follow the now really slowly moving motorcycle into a small residential road which eventually opened up to a strip mall on the left. I continue to follow them since now it's an obviously open invitation to do so. The rider slowed down on purpose so I could catch up. It had to be the only reason the chase had ended. Course, as I get closer, I get this funny feeling I know who this is... Long brown hair, petite. The bike's looking familiar too from a distance.

Even closer still and I see the license plate: 994.

"Holy crap!" Brigid! I'm gonna kill her and I roll down the window and yell, "YOU SUCK!!!"

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:51:34 AM
:: Laughter rose in Brigid's throat as she grinned, and her eyes sparkled ::

"I love you too, Kiddo."

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:53:57 AM
I scoff at her and pull into the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot. Cutting off the engine, I hop outta the car, completely flabbergasted that Brigid was HERE! She's been gone almost as long as Fiona!

"Where the hell have you been?!" I fumble with my hands since I'm not sure I wanna punch or hug her.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:01:00 AM
"I've always been a roadrunner. You know that."

:: The older Immie dismounted and gave Michele an uncharacteristic hug ::

"You look good." she chuckled, leaning on Michele with affection.

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:04:36 AM
My tense body relaxed in her arms and I hugged onto her tightly. "I missed you. So much has happened since you went poof."

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:09:43 AM
:: Brigid looked inquistive ::

"How's Fi?"

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:11:21 AM
I panic and blurt out a defensive strategy. "How's Nara?" I counter.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:14:11 AM
:: Her mouth became a frown ::

"She's mad at me. I was drunk, and put a little too much hustle in a pool game."

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:16:06 AM
I narrow my eyes accusingly, "You sure that's all? Cuz as soon as you bailed, she did too."

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:19:18 AM
:: Brigid looked down at her snakeskin boots, and kicked a pebble as she muttered ::

"crap ..."

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:21:20 AM
Well, this got awkward. Brigid obviously did something stupid because she's not trying to defend herself or point fingers at Nara.

After awhile of standing there, I speak up with my head hanging low. "Fi's gone too. She hasn't returned from Europe yet. No word. No nothing."

I take a deep breath to calm myself but it's difficult. Brigid could probably sense that I was trying to fight off from screaming incoherently that the love of my life was still missing.

I began to tremble with worry. At least Brigid was back. Maybe I can find some answers...

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:33:53 AM
:: Brigid looked up again ::

"What?"

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:37:19 AM
I look up at Brigid with unblinking eyes that were threatening to break down with tears. "Yeah. She's disappeared on me. Tell me you've heard from her!" I couldn't help the desperation creeping into my voice, or the panic. I just want her back. Maybe with Kass and Brigid's resources we can find her...

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:51:48 AM
"I haven't."

:: The look on her face mirrored Michele's ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:53:51 AM
I swallow, hard and fight back a sniffle. "Kass hasn't either. She's been helping me track her down for the last couple of weeks."

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:59:41 AM
"Kass?"

:: Brigid's eyes narrow ::

"Kassandra???"

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:02:53 AM
"Yeah." I stepped back unconsciously to get some distance from Brigid. She really didn't seem to like her by that tone... "She's been helping me. No one else was around. Everyone bailed on me."

I didn't mean to bite back so hard but as much as I'm glad to see her, what the hell did Brigid think I was gonna do. Not take Kassandra's help? "Fi's gone, you and Nara disappeared, Bella was sick, and Niki's a shut in."

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:06:32 AM
"Bella???"

:: There was unfamiliarty with that name. Brigid just shook her head and ran fingers through her hair ::

"Let's go home. Now."

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:16:11 AM
"Bella? Arabella ya nutcase. She's a ..." My face blushed and I begrudgingly went into the car. I mean, we really can't be having this conversation right now so might as well head home anyway.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:29:44 AM
:: Brigid musses Michele's hair and mounts her motorcycle again ::

"I hope you've kept the fridge ok."

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:31:27 AM
Well, guess I might meet my final death today. There's no Guinness in the fridge. Heh. Ah well. She'll cope.

... I hope.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:42:16 AM
BACK AT THE PENTHOUSE

:: Brigid glances at the door across the hall, debating on wether or not to go in ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:49:30 AM
I unlock the door to my place and I walk on in. Looking back, I see Brigid struggling with herself over what happened. "I know she's still around the Midwest on tour. It probably wouldn't take much to find her. Last I heard, the band was in Detroit."

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:53:54 AM
:: She nods, and shuffles through the door to make a bee-line for the fridge ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:57:05 AM
I closed the door behind her and lock it as I begin the count down to explosion when no beer is seen.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:07:42 AM
:: The fridge door opened and Brigid paused in silence before grabbing a diet coke and slumping down on the couch. She took off the cap and took a swig, making a face like she just tasted urine, then forced herself to take a bigger swig and coughed ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 10:07:06 AM
Oh this was priceless. I grab my own pop and sit down on the sofa next to Brigid, hoping she doesn't punch me for the no beer. I live by myself now, what did she expect? I'm not a big drinker so I gave it away to the Band. But I sure as hell ain't telling Brigid that. "Sorry ..."

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 10:18:53 AM
:: She stuck out her tongue and looked ready to gag, then looked at Michele with a frown ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 10:22:02 AM
I was going to ask what's wrong, but what wasn't wrong? Fi's missing, Nara's gone and Bella's a Vamp. Oh and let's not forget all the freaky supernatural stuff that's been haunting Chicago.

I kinda settle back in the sofa and sigh sadly. knowing that nothing good was going on in either of our minds. We were practically alone in all of this mess.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 10:30:10 AM
"So where's Kassandra?"

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 10:50:15 AM
"She's been around since Christmas of last year. Kass bought a condo not too far from here." I could hear it in her voice. The loathing. When Fi talked about here there was a strange sense of fear mixed with awe. She highly respected the older Immortal. Brigid held her with contempt.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:00:28 AM
:: Brigid took another agonized sip of diet coke again and gave a silent retch before setting it on the table ::

"I'm hungry." she said, to change the subject.

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:05:30 AM
She is so annoying when she does this. "Ooookaaay ... So what'cha wanna eat then?"

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:11:12 AM
:: She shrugged, trying not to bring the mood down any more. All of a sudden, she was feeling really nasty ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:14:33 AM
I push myself up to a standing position and glare down at her. "I won't be having a one way conversation with you. I've got enough crap to deal with."

The hard edge in my voice came because I was sick of the BS I had to deal with for the last almost two months. I didn't need more coming from a broody Brigid. But my features softened with a smile when I spoke again. "So tell me what'cha wanna eat or I force things like tofu down your throat."

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:22:28 AM
:: Brigid shivered at tofu memories and held up her hands ::

"Anything but that! How about tacos?"

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:31:12 AM
A sudden, grating sound interrupted the conversation: that of the apartment's intercom.

*bzzzzzzzzzt!*

Someone was waiting outside...

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:35:36 AM
I wasn't expecting anyone, so some of the alarms were up. I cross over the room and hit the intercom to find out who our surprise guest would be, hoping that it wasn't a stabby kinda person.

Pressing the button, I answer. "Who is it?"

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:40:09 AM
Even beneath the howl of the wind, the voice was unmistakable – well-spoken, each syllable enunciated perfectly, with just a hint of a British accent.

“Only me! Can I come up?”

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:49:29 AM
:: Brigid froze like a wild animal that just caught scent of a hunter, and quietly slipped her way to the training room. She didn't worry about breaking anything in there if things went south ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:57:31 AM
"Um ..." I turn around and already see that Brigid slipped away. Part me of wonders if it's to pounce on Kass when she comes through the door.

"Sure. I'll buzz you in." I hope she didn't pick on the hesitancy in my voice. If she did, it'll all be explained soon enough.

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:09:11 PM
It was only a minute or so before Kass was stepped into the apartment, smoothing out her wind-swept hair. As she removed her coat, she glanced off towards the training room, a familiar sensation brushing at the edges of her awareness...

“I'm not interrupting anything, am I?”

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:16:30 PM
IN THE FITNESS ROOM -

:: Brigid felt the buzz as she attacked the heavy bag in a flurry of Muay Thai kicks and elbow strikes ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:19:24 PM
"Well," I start hearing the heavy bag being worked over and I roll my eyes, "Brigid's back in town and we were going out to eat."

I look up apologetically towards Kass. "So, kinda?"

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:29:22 PM
“Brigid?”

There was no need to ask which Brigid, she knew immediately. Arms folding over her chest, Kassandra paced towards the open door to the training room. Smirking faintly, she leant against the door-frame, watching the punching bag get the beating of its life.

“No 'hello' for your old friend, Brigid?”

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:38:03 PM
:: Brigid gave a hateful, yet somehow pleasant smirk as she kissed the bag with a backfist ::

"Hey Kass ..."

:: One more punch before wiping the hair from her eyes ::

"... how you been?"

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:10:45 PM
Brigid looked, in a word, tense... or ruffled, perhaps. Strands of hair clung to her brow, whilst her cheeks were showing a little colour. It was a satisfying sight.

“I've been... well – and you?”

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:24:35 PM
:: She walked forward with alarming celerity, and before Michele could intercept her, struck Kassandra with a hard uppercut to the chin ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:29:43 PM
It didn't really register that THAT was gonna happened. Thow slow mo cam sorta took over and I watched in silent horror at the doorway to the training room. I was too stunned to move! Too stunned for words! What the hell did she think she was doing?!

My body tenses up and my nerves finally start working again to pull myself forward to yell at her. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:40:44 PM
Kassandra stumbled backwards, staggered by the blow. One hand lifted to her jaw, cradling it tenderly. It wasn't broken, but it would be aching and rattling for a long while.

“What is wrong with you?!” she hissed, wincing at the pain speech caused.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:43:27 PM
:: Brigid dismissed Michelle as she sought to grab hold of Kassandra ::

"WHERE'S FIONA???!!!"

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:47:28 PM
Oh no she did not! I will not have Brigid waltz back into my life and then start attacking the one person that has been helping me get through this.

I step between them before she could lay a hand on Kass. In her anger, it was easy to grab hold of her wrist and shove her away. "How dare you come back and start pointing fingers!!!"

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:52:29 PM
Brigid's words were like a slap to the face, far more painful than the physical blow she had delivered. Kass was stunned and for a long moment could only look at Brigid in disbelief, mouth agape, her eyes a little damp from the stinging pain in her jaw. The expression on her face spoke for her: How could you?

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:58:17 PM
:: Brigid stood her ground as Michelle held her wrists, niether advancing or retreating ::

"She's playing you, Michele!!! It's what she's best at!!!"

:: Just the sight of Kassandra playing wounded lamb was too much to take. A hot gob of spit found it's mark on the Immortal's cheek ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:08:03 PM
I hadn't been so mad since freaking out over the knowledge that Fiona knew I was an unawakened Immortal. I had been scared and felt betrayed because of the lies, but I had come to realize that those lies were done to protect me. She had been my protector since the night the sky turned Red and the war in Chicago had boiled over in a Black Spiral blood bath.

But this betrayal cut far deeper. "How dare you!!"

My grip on her wrist tightened and I pulled her forward so we were locked squarely eye for eye. "She's been here helping me come to terms with Fiona's loss and I won't allow to you spit on our friendship. (I supposed literally at this point, geesh) I don't give a flying frak what the hell happened between you two, but I won't allow it to spill over into my house!"

I think I'm having one of those out of body experiences because .. who the hell is this person standing up to Brigid like that? Wasn't I a meek little mouse that always did what big Sis told me to do?

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:16:00 PM
Kassandra wiped the spit away with the back of her hand, her eyes lingering on her damp skin for a moment, as if still unable to comprehend what had happened. When she looked up, she saw that Michele had a hold of Brigid; the two were standing almost toe-to-toe.

“It's alright, Michele... I'll go... I can see I'm not welcome here today,” she said, her tone bitter and hurt as she turned away from the pair.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:18:56 PM
:: The words prompted Brigid to rip free of Michele ::

"YOU AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE!!!"

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:25:24 PM
"Actually, we both are." I knock shoulders with Brigid as I walk to stand besides Kassandra. "We'll leave you to your tantrum or are you going to fight both of us?"

I arch a brow and wait. Brigid's too angry for words and I'm fed up with this childish display. This is the last thing I need or want with her happy return. "Or better yet. Maybe find a pub that's open and drink yourself into a stupor. You are good at that when things go bad, right?"

Really am I being too harsh? Friendly person to one side of me being nice and helpful vs the rabid girl trying to accuse and beat up someone with no proof? She's just jealous that Kassandra's been nice to me after whatever centuries long issue they had with each other is spilling over now. I mean, without more explanation from Brigid (and without the frothing of the mouth) how am I to know what the frak is going on.

I think ... @_@

Kassandra
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:44:20 PM
This was unbelievable. There were just no words to describe how... fantastic it all was! First, Arabella and Martin had alienated themselves from Michele through the formers Embrace – now, Brigid was digging her own grave by attacking poor innocent Kassandra, who had stood tirelessly by Michele through the months of loneliness and uncertainty.

“When you're ready to talk sense, Brigid...” she began, but the sentence tapered away at its end.

Brigid Cassidy
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:49:17 PM
:: Brigid stood trembling in anger and disbelief, unable to speak at all ::

Michele Hawkins
Oct 10th, 2008, 06:45:42 PM
She finally got the hint and I felt proud of myself for standing up to her. I also felt guilty. I really wish Brigid wouldn't fly off the handle so easily, but that's her biggest flaw. Right or wrong, there's a better way of handling that and I don't want to hear the 'Nara is gone' excuse either.

"Lock up when you leave," I say as I grab my coat and keys.

Kassandra
Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:28:13 PM
Kassandra followed in Michele's wake as the pair made their exit, but not before glancing over her shoulder for one last glimpse of the look on Brigid's face. For an instant, she allowed herself the barest hint of a smile, making a point that Brigid should see the brief expression. It was immensely satisfying.