PDA

View Full Version : My neighborhood is at it again...

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 14th, 2008, 10:43:47 AM
Last year we had the show COPS in our backyard, tracking down an illegal alien hit and run driver.

This year we've had police stand offs and shootings and arsons all within a ten block radius of our house.

TODAY: since 6 am this morning, about five houses down from us the SWAT team is trying to get a person with a gun out of a house. This is two houses down to the end of our street and then two more houses down that adjoining street to the left. So... sort of catty-cornered? Its out of sight, at least.

The end of our street is taped off with a squad car and policeman standing there. This is not the first time this has happened (see aforementioned episode of COPS when they cordoned off the neighborhood so they could search for the guy).

There was just a really loud boom sound, which I think might have been the SWAT team breaking down the door? I don't know. It was kind of scary.

Its really sad - this is a nice old neighborhood which has just gone into the toilet. Our city thinks that population density should be as high as possible, and there are so many apartment buildings going in and having been built nearby in the last few years... There's an area near us called Rockwood which is pretty much where the illegal aliens from south of the border live, and low income whites and blacks too, and its where most of the crime in the area happens. Well, Rockwood's boundaries are stretching out towards us. I think we're in the crime zone now.

Just a few weeks ago some tweaker stole the catalytic converter off of my brother's Toyota 4-runner. We have a big problem with metal thieves in Portland.

Yay! I hope the street is open again by the time our friends come over for our football party! :lol

Charley
Sep 14th, 2008, 11:12:48 AM
Maybe its time to invest in a shotgun?

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2008, 11:18:53 AM
Maybe its time to invest in a shotgun?It's not a bad idea :\

Figrin D'an
Sep 14th, 2008, 12:05:16 PM
Sad that your neighborhood has come to that, but I think Charley is right.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 14th, 2008, 12:42:27 PM
Well my brother has a .22 ... We might get one of those eventually. I'd rather have a big scary dog though. :D

The bomb squad truck was parked up our street, just a house or two down from ours. And now everything is resolved. Apparently the guy in the house had a handgun or something, I'm trying to find a news story on it...

Aurelias Kazaar
Sep 14th, 2008, 01:00:20 PM
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_091408_news_NE_SERT_callout.768024dc.html

Man in custody after SERT standoff 10:59 AM PDT on Sunday, September 14, 2008

By ADRIANE HORNER, kgw.com Staff Portland Police were called to a home in the 142000 block of Northeast Glisan Street early Sunday morning after reports of a man with a gun in the area.

Sgt. Brian Schmautz said when officers arrived on scene they were informed that a domestic altercation had occurred at the home and a 31-year-old man involved in the dispute was armed with a handgun.

Officers were able to evacuate several people, including children from the home but the man, identified as Garvin Franklin, remained armed and barricaded inside the home.

The SERT team was called to the scene as well as hostage negotiators who were working to make contact with Franklin.

Police said that Franklin had a warrant for his arrest and a history of violence.

Franklin was taken into police custody just before 11 a.m. Sunday.

Northeast Glisan Street between 122<sup>nd</sup> Avenue and 148<sup>th</sup> Avenue was blocked as well as the main entrance to Glendeveer Golf Course for several hours.
There ya go.

Daiquiri
Sep 14th, 2008, 01:06:49 PM
Not a .22. You want something that packs more of a punch, like Charley said. Barring that, a tazer would help.

Figrin D'an
Sep 14th, 2008, 01:21:49 PM
It's not so much the punch, it's the fact that a shotgun doesn't require you to have precise aim to hit something. During a home invasion type of situation, nerves can take over, and you want to be sure your going to hit a potential intruder even when your hands are shaking.

Charley
Sep 14th, 2008, 01:29:56 PM
You can find a Mossberg 12 gauge that is easy to use, reliable, and inexpensive at Wal Mart for less than $300

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 14th, 2008, 02:13:26 PM
Not to mention sometimes just the sound of racking a shotgun will be enough to deter would-be invaders.

Daiquiri
Sep 14th, 2008, 09:31:14 PM
The noise is definitely a factor too. A little 'futt futt' from a .22 wouldnt scare too many who have already broken into a home.