PDA

View Full Version : Myth: The Sea Awakens

Weeta
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:37:06 AM
The Mer are a sun loving race, tied to the ocean as surely as the Glaucans, though they lack the gills of the latter. Small in stature and large of heart, the Mer tend toward playfulness instead of seriousness.

Yet on this day, the leaders of the cliffside city of Peer are feeling unnaturally solemn. The great Bowl Reef, named so for the bowl shape cut into its southern point, is a magical nexus for Water mages. Nearly all Mer have some adeptness with water magic, and the Bowl is a special place for them. Glaucans know of the nexus, but they are content to let their sun-drenched cousins have the run of the Reef.

Today the Bowl's power is uneven. And a whirlpool has opened up above it, growing in strength. The Mer watermages have been unable to alter the whirlpool's spiral, and the Reef has become a dangerous place. At a loss, the elders have cast lots, choosing from amongst the citizens of Peer two companions who will travel to the Fian, overland, and seek help from their wise ones.

A small figure splashed into the southeastern ocean, a rock clutched to its chest. Bubbles fizzed up to the surface of the sea as the Mer girl sank downward, her eyes open but protected by her clear, secondary eyelids. The rock propelled her down, down, down to the bottom of the ocean where the light was dim.

Weeta released the rock and swam toward the bed of oysters that was nearby, frog kicking and stroking strongly towards the unsuspecting shellfish. Her red hair floated in front of her face as she slowed, reaching for the biggest oyster she could find. The Mer pulled her knife from her belt and cracked it open, revealing a large pearl of uneven size.

She grinned, popping the pearl into a finely woven net bag at her waist, and proceeded to harvest several more pearls, though none as fine as the first. Several minutes ticked by, and finally she was forced to kick for the surface, her lungs needing air.

Bobbing in the warm southern sea, Weeta tread water and looked up at the great Mer city of Peer. Sometimes it was called Peerl by the Dalridian and Necian traders that came over land to visit and trade for the pearls and fine fishing nets that the Mer could provide. Sandy colored cliffs rose almost straight up from the ocean, criss-crossed and honeycombed with wooden and rope dwellings suspended almost unbelievably from the stone. Some homes were burrowed into the cliff, but most were out in the air, connected by swaying rope bridges and ladders.

If she squinted towards the noon sun Weeta could just make out her family's complex, where her sisters and cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents and nieces and nephews and brothers and mother and fathers shared space with her. After you went out far enough on anyone's family tree it seemed that they were related to someone else... so in the end the whole of Peer was one big familial complex. But not in a gross, incestuous way.

Her friend Ariadne had taught her the word 'incest.' Gross!

A conch horn blew, and Weeta frowned, swimming over to the closest rope that dangled down to the waves, and pulled herself up and out of the water. Climbing like a monkey, the four foot ten inch Mer was soon in the thick of the market place, where fish and other sea foods were bartered and sold amongst the People.

"What's going on?" she asked a white haired grandmother, who looked started to see her.

"Weeta! You're needed by the Elders! The Bowl... the Bowl!" Hanah completed a complicated holy gesture that made the fish she was holding nearly slap the younger Mer in the face. Weeta ducked.

"The Bowl? Something about the whirlpool that started?" Weeta shivered despite the warmth of the day.

"Oh yes, yes. They cast lots. They picked you!" Despite her age Hanah had a loud pair of lungs, and everyone around them was staring. Weeta felt nervous.

"Me?!" She squeaked. "To go.. overland?!" She almost dove off the edge of the deck and back into the ocean where it was safe. A Mer... traveling on land! Weeta almost burst into tears. "By myself?"

"No, no, they are sending another with you. But you need to hurry! Get up there!" Hanah shooed Weeta away, causing the young girl's shark leathers to get a distinct fish gut smell as she pushed her through the crowd.

Weeta climbed up through the vast network of dwellings and platforms and ropes, the worry in her tummy growing with every foot she gained towards the top of the cliff.

Mr. Glasswater
Sep 17th, 2008, 09:03:03 PM
Glasswater had been traveling for a long enough period of time that he'd begun to worry for Ariadne. He knew the girl could fend for herself well enough, and that the crew of the Chiron - though battered down - was by no means incapable. They were a hardened group of men who had each had their mettle tested in battle. It still did not help the worry that he felt for each league that he traveled alone.

The Glaucan, after leaving Tirgatia, had decided to travel south by following the coastline. Far more pleasant that if he'd gone straight towards Ha'lainn Inniu, he figured moving along the coastal pathways would allow Fyrian the time she needed to catch up with him, and with any luck they would meet up in the Fian city at roughly the same point in time. At least, that was the plan in his mind. There was no telling what would actually happen, but Glasswater hoped for the best.

His only company for the ride south was his horse, and an everpresent raven that hovered overhead. Occasionally the bird would alight upon his shoulder, but it was never long before the creature took to the air once more. A pet of Ariadne's Glasswater had silently agreed to take the bird with him while she was gone. To himself and the rest of the crew, it was something of a good luck charm, and in many ways a herald of their coming.
It was often said that before you saw Fyrian's ship, you saw the raven. It was something that no one had seen fit to stop.

During his travels, he'd not touched the saddlebag that Fyrian had passed off to him; the less he thought of its' contents the better. Damn Kariun and his fool hatred; look what it had gotten the Fold! Denetion's anger manifest by raging storm, and it had cost him his life on top of the ill fates doled out to the rest of the men.

Glasswater scowled at the thought, and looked to the side, out to the ocean and its' rolling waves. His mount walked steadily along at a comfortable pace.

It wasn't until he reached Peer that he had the first notion that something was off. Mer stared up at his towering form with their curious eyes wide open.

By now the raven had perched itself once more on his shoulder, and Glasswater dismounted carefully to stand in a sea of Mer.

What in the devil was going on?

Weeta
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:56:38 PM
Weeta struggled with her fears as she stood outside the hut of the Elders - a palm frond thatched deck that was open to the air on three sides. It was perched just below the top of the cliff, and every available surface around, above and below it was covered by the People.

They murmured and moved aside to make room for her. She swallowed hard and eyed the Elders where they were huddled, tossing the bones of a seabird on the deck between them. Then there was another ripple of noise, coming down from the Mer that were up top looking down on the proceedings. A horse whinnied, and Weeta looked up to see a tall Glaucan approach the edge of the cliff.

"Mister Glasswater!" she blurted, just as he began descending down the ramp that was built to help the overland traders enter Peer. Weeta waved wildly, all thoughts of the Elders banished for the time being.

One of the Elders chose that moment to shout, however, and Weeta's head swiveled around to see the seven Elders all standing and staring at the Glaucan. One of them bent down and retrieved the wing bones of the bird as though to examine them more closely.

A small boy was dispatched from the Hut to run through the crowd to the side of Mr. Glasswater, requesting that he join the Elders on their deck. Weeta was also beckoned close. She gulped, nimbly walking along the outside edge of a walkway and using the rope railings to keep her balance. She ducked under the railing of the Hut and waited for the familiar Glaucan to join her and the Elders.

Mr. Glasswater
Sep 21st, 2008, 09:41:18 PM
The voice that'd called his name was a familiar one, and despite his earlier mood, Glasswater smiled at Weeta's enthusiastic waving, and even managed a slight wave of his own before the Mer Elders gave a shout. Used to seeing the people around him in far more jovial moods, the Glaucan found himself just a little worried at this new behavior he was seeing, and the boy that appeared before him to lead him to the Elders' hut certainly did not help that feeling.

But he gave a nod and followed quietly, the raven still perched atop his shoulder like some inquisitive gaurdian.

Drawing near to Weeta, Glasswater extended a large hand and laid it atop her wild mess of red hair, mussing the Mer girl's unruly locks even more.

"Hey Weeta-girl," his deep and rumbling voice was low, yet full of warmth as he tweaked the tip of one of her ears.

"What's my Little Cousin done now to attract the attention of the Elders."

Weeta
Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:14:14 AM
Weeta tried to duck out of the way as he tweaked her ear, but failed, and blushed bright red as the Elders frowned in Mr. Glasswater's direction. "I.. I'm not sure what I did," she managed.

"You have been chosen!" said the Eldest, a tall Mer of 5'1" with a mane of grey hair that was twisted into dreadlocks. Bits of shell that were entwined in his dreads tinkled together as he shook his head. "Weeta, you were chosen first, so you lead the expedition Over Land to the Fian!"

She gaped, the Glaucan's hand still heavy on her head.

"And you! Glaucan and protector of the Bird," he bowed his head to the raven, who cocked its head to the side as if to acknowledge the gesture, "You have been chosen second. The lot was cast and cannot be uncast. The bones have left the cup." His voice was filled with resolve, though the faces of the Elders behind him seemed to be full of questions.

Weeta stared with her mouth open, her tongue drying out in the sun as she gave the Eldest a wild look. Finally, as Glasswater's hand on her hair seemed to be gripping tightly she squeaked, "What!? How can the lots send me to lead a Glaucan OVER LAND to the Fian?!"

"What's going on." Mr. Glasswater's voice rumbled dangerously.

"The Bowl has gone awry, Glaucan cousin," the Eldest replied. "A whirlpool that gains in strength even as the power of our nexus weakens has appeared in the sea above it. It threatens the reef and any ship that may pass near enough to be caught in its currents." He gestured helplessly. "It is beyond what we know. The Old Ones must know what to do."

Mr. Glasswater
Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:26:40 PM
The Bowl.

Glasswater gave a bare scowl at this news, and taking his hand from Weeta's head, he crossed his arms over his chest. He would certainly not say aloud his doubts of the Mer Elders, but he knew enough to consider their words regardless. If they were this distraught over something happening at the Bowl Reef, than it at least warranted a closer examination.

As it was, he was riding for Ha'lainn Inniu himself; it would not be a hardship to bring Weeta with him.

"I already ride for Ha'lainn Inniu," he started as diplomatically as he could manage.

"If you wish to send one of your own to the Fian for help, I will welcome the company."

Weeta
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:01:39 AM
The Elders murmured behind their hands, long ears waggling as they conferred. Weeta gulped, turning and staring out over the rope railing at the sea as it stretched on to the burial islands beyond the horizon. Her mind bubbled and her stomach churned, the clams she'd eaten for lunch threatening to resurface.

The Eldest turned back towards the huge Glaucan, bowing slightly in deference to the other's stature and power. The Mer were always polite to other races, lacking the size and strength to be rude. As a people they were polite, as individuals the Mer were as different as a hundred pieces of sea glass would never contain two alike. "So you say, Glaucan. The lots have been cast. You must assist Weeta in her assigned task."

His voice became gloomy, "Our fates are entwined. The Bowl... it is unnatural. Our watermages are working day and night to keep the whirlpool from growing beyond control, but it is all they can do to slow its growth." The Eldest stared at Weeta from under his bushy grey eyebrows, his dreadlocks swinging as he turned on her. "Go! Gather your things and you must ride out within the hour."

Ride? Weeta gaped, but was scrambling down and away, dropping off the edge of the Hut and swinging along a dangling rope to another level. Her slightly webbed fingers were nimble as she darted through Peer towards her familial dwelling. Grabbing a fine net bag, the lean and tanned Mer stuffed a change of leathers and some food. No one was home except her sister-in-law who was nursing an infant and tied to land for the time being.

Weeta blurted an explaination, kissed her nephew's soft head, and left, climbing up and back towards the Elder's Hut where the crowd was beginning to slowly disperse.

Mr. Glasswater
Sep 26th, 2008, 09:27:26 PM
Glasswater was waiting, still looking more or less unnerved by what had happened, but he afforded Weeta a large smile regardless as she drew closer. The little Mer was a good friend, and he felt a slight pang of sorrow for her lot in this. Ever since happening upon her he'd learned well enough that she was far more comfortable in the water than anywhere else. In some ways he was as well, but there was also something enjoyable in being on land.

He might not be as comfortable with landward travels as Ariadne, but he was at least more than tolerant of the necessity.

Reaching down a weathered hand to Weeta, he easily lifted her up to deposit her back on the outer deck that surrounded the Elder's Hut. Such a petite little thing, and so full of energy. She confounded him at times when him and Ariadne passed through.

His smile still creasing his features, he reached up to scritch at the raven's head. The bird, used to such contact, shifted around so that Glasswater's fingers could get more coverage.

"Do you have a horse? Or will I be sharing mine with you?"

There was warmth in his voice. Despite his own situation and intentions for traveling to Ha'lainn Inniu, he would at least try to make Weeta feel as adjusted as possible while on land.

Weeta
Sep 27th, 2008, 02:37:06 PM
"A horse?" Weeta exclaimed, her eyes wide. "No, no. No. I will walk." The thought of being carried along by one of the huge land beasts was scary. Mer always went where they could on their own power.

The Eldest coughed. "Time is of the essence, Weeta." He clapped his hands and dismissed the crowd of excited and expectant faces. "Ha'lainn Inniu is not close to us. Take the Glasswater's help, as the bones have decreed."

The girl harumphed, but nodded reluctantly. "Well, okay. I guess. I better not fall off though!" She pointed an accusing finger up at Glasswater, and then adjusted her pack. "Lets leave before I change my mind and swim away."

Mr. Glasswater
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:02:28 PM
Glasswater laughed at that, a deep laugh that was warm and jovial.

"Weeta-girl, I would not dream of letting you fall off a horse."

A wink, and he gestured for her to lead the way back to where his horse waited patiently, tethered to a hitching rail. Making room for the little Mer was easy as the Glaucan partially unwrapped his bedroll that'd been tied to the back of his saddle. He flattened a part of it out so that it formed a comfortable second seat, and before she could get out another word, Glasswater scooped her up. She was light, and he effortlessly deposited her in the padded seat he'd made for her.

"Besides, Ariadne would string me up by my toenails if I did."

Weeta
Sep 30th, 2008, 12:16:43 PM
"Oof," Weeta grunted as Mr. Glasswater swept her up and put her on the horse. She clung to the back of the saddle in front of her so tightly that her knuckles whitened, her legs sticking out like sticks. Afraid to move, she muttered, "I'd help her, too."

She squeaked as the raven flew off of Glasswater's shoulder and landed on her head, but aside from a slight tremble Weeta didn't move a muscle. Teeth clenched, she said, "Can we just go? I don't want everyone to see me like this." The horse shifted its weight from one foot to another, and her eyes widened as her stiff body wobbled on its perch.

Mr. Glasswater
Sep 30th, 2008, 06:52:45 PM
Glasswater gave another laugh, and gently eased Weeta's legs down so that they fell against the sides of his mount. For a moment he leaned against the saddle, one elbow on the leather seat so that his hand could prop itself against his forehead.

"Little Cousin, there are far worse ways to travel."

A gentle shooing sent the raven from the Mer's head to the horse's rump, and with a grin at Weeta, the Glaucan pulled back and lifted a foot to the stirrup. He was careful lifting himself up, and eased his leg past his traveling partner to fall into the stirrup on the other side. The black gelding shifted its' stance again, and Glasswater took up the reigns to steady the animal.

"Think of it as riding on the top of a wave. Let your body roll with the movements."

And with that, he gave a nudge with his legs to send them into a walk, and away from Peer.

Weeta
Oct 7th, 2008, 01:53:34 AM
She clung to his belt, little fingers wrapped tightly around the leather as she tried to relax. It was much bumpier than riding a wave. Weeta gritted her teeth as her back felt jarred with every hoof fall.

The short Mer turned her head, looking back at Peer and at the edge of the cliff that hid her home from view. A few of the People were standing there, watching silently, the sea a distant shimmer behind them. She gulped.

"How can you stand it?" she asked, turning back towards Mr. Glasswater. "I thought that Glaucans were even more tied to the sea than we are." She bit back a cry of alarm as the horse picked up speed, jolting her even more.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 7th, 2008, 05:40:15 PM
Smiling at that, Glasswater gave a shrug.

"Perhaps."

Resisting the urge to nudge his horse into a jog, the Glaucan kept the animal at a brisk walk for now. They'd have to speed up their pace at some point, but for the moment he didn't want to further Weeta's nervousness.

"But many of us also find it necessary to become familiar with traveling on land."

Glasswater partially turned in his saddle and gave his Mer companion a reassuring smile.

"We're to meet Ariadne in Ha'lainn Inniu, you know. I'm sure she will be happy to see you."

Weeta
Oct 7th, 2008, 06:53:13 PM
Weeta grumped a bit more, mumbling words that Glasswater couldn't make out (or was just ignoring). After a while he could feel her grip on his waist relax, though she was still holding on tightly.

Looking about, the Mer could see that it was still a bright and sunny day despite the fact that she was so far inland that the sea was only a memory behind them. Butterflies swooped around them and she giggled as one landed on her nose, and scolded the raven as it snapped up a few for a delicious snack.

"Ariadne will probably want me to finish her tattoos," she remarked suddenly, ears perking up. "But... but I cannot!" Weeta leaned her face into Glasswater's back ears drooping again. "I will be busy trying to talk to the Fian! I... I've never talked to one before!"

"Not even the Fian traders that come to Peer?" Mr. Glasswater's voice sounded suspiciously like he was holding back a laugh. He kicked the horse's sides and it jerked forward, and suddenly the land was sweeping by underneath her like... like... something really fast!

Weeta shrieked and clung like a limpet to his waist, and he did laugh then, a deep sound that was as musical as waves crashing on a coastal rock. She gasped, "Oh, oh, oh!"

After a few moments she adjusted to the new speed and said breathlessly, "Well, I've spoken to some Fian traders. But, that doesn't count. I'll be alone this time!" Weeta managed to open her eyes, but the sight of the land whipping by caused her to squeeze them closed again. "Do we have to go so fast?"

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 7th, 2008, 07:14:42 PM
Time was of the essence, and Glasswater knew that the closer they grew to the Fian city, the more settled he would become. Fyrian would be there, he knew she would be. At least he prayed to Denetion that she would be. Weeta's tight grip on his waist gave him reason for caution though; he did not want to make a nervous wreck out of the little Mer, and he slowed the horse to an easy lope.

"We must hurry, Little Cousin. The sooner we get to Ha'lainn Inniu the sooner you can speak with the Fian about the magics disturbing the Bowl Reef."

And the sooner Fyrian can take this accursed Necian treasure off my hands.

His reservations he kept to himself however.

"As for Ariadne, I'm sure the two of you will be able to find time to sneak away. She has mentioned recently seeing you about more designs."

The raven, having been disturbed by the horse's much faster gait, had taken to the sky, soaring overhead like some sentinal, ever-watching.

"And if you ask her nicely," he went on smiling, "I'm sure she will help you talk with the Fian."

Weeta
Oct 8th, 2008, 05:35:39 PM
"Someone should," she pouted, the wind blowing the tips of her ears back. "I don't know what the Elders were thinking."

They traveled in silence until Weeta begged him to stop so she could go behind some bushes and make water. Glasswater helped her down from the horse's rump and she hobbled away, her legs and bladder protesting. While she was taking care of business her stomach rumbled, and she called, "Can we stop for lunch soon? Or supper? I can't tell what time it is, but I know its time to eat!"

Weeta came back into view, wiping her hands on some grass and staring at the sky through the trees. "Its hard to see the sun here." Her little face twisted with sadness as she pictured the glorious sunshine pouring down on the cliffside and ocean.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 10th, 2008, 10:44:04 PM
As Weeta came back out into view, Glasswater looked down at her for a moment before slowly moving to dismount. Lunch did sound good about now, and he had to admit that he was a little hungry as well.

As his feet hit the ground, he made quick work of unlatching one of his saddlebags.

"Lunch sounds like a good idea," he agreed.

A smile on his face, and the Glaucan pulled out a small wrapped parcel of squid jerky, spiced bread, and some dried fruits.

"It's not much, but it's good for now I'd say."

Another grin, and he tossed the parcel to her playfully.

"Don't eat so much that you give yourself a stomach ache," he teased.

Weeta
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:02:32 PM
Weeta snagged the packet out of the air and made a face. "Don't eat so much that you give yourself a stomach ache," she mimicked, under her breath. "I'm not a baby."

She plopped down to the ground, unwrapping the waxed paper. "Oooh!" The Mer grinned, stuffing some squid jerky into her mouth as she looked up at Glasswater. "Thanks!"

Squid jerky was good for long journeys. You could chew it for hours!

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:11:24 PM
Glasswater laughed as he joined the little Mer, sitting crosslegged beside her. His frame rested against the trunk of a tree, and he relaxed a small bit. Perhaps it was wise to rest for a small time and regain his strength. He'd been riding for days along the coast.

"Mayhaps you're not a baby, but you're my Little Cousin, and I'd hate to see you uncomfortable."

Well, more uncomfortable than she already was, what with being away from Peer.

He pulled at the loaf of bread, breaking off half and offering a small bit to the raven that had swooped down to land in front of the two. Of course the bird would have nothing to do with Glasswater's offering; instead, it found much more delectible treats in the hands of Weeta, and happily tormented her for jerky scraps.

"I'm only making sure that you're in the best of health when you meet with the Fian. And well," he produced a small flask of water, uncapping the lid and drinking deeply before passing it off to Weeta.

"... I really don't want to have to hold your hair back if you overfill your gut."

Weeta
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:18:56 PM
Weeta giggled at that, shaking her head vigorously to display her obviously short hair. "You wouldn't anyway!" She swigged the water, guzzling the sweet coolness of it, and then reached up to tug on Mr. Glasswater's long locks. "Maybe I'll hafta hold back yours!"

She chortled, laughing so hard at her joke that she nearly fell over, and the raven swooped in and nicked most of the jerky while her eyes were squinched shut with glee. "Hey!" Weeta shook her finger at the bird, but didn't grab the squid back. What the bird wanted, the bird could have.

Mer held many beliefs about birds; as beings tied to the sea they were in awe of the creatures of the air. She sighed, fingering some of the dried fruits suspiciously before putting them in her mouth. "Will we be there tonight?" she asked innocently. Over Land was mysterious to her, but she couldn't imagine that they would not reach their destination within a few hours.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:37:48 PM
At that, Glasswater gave a deep laugh.

"Tonight? Oh heavens no, girl."

The thought that they'd be in Ha'lainn Inniu by nightfall was quite humorous to him, and he leaned his head back, eyes closed, and still chuckling to himself.

"It will take us at least three or four days at the very least."

Popping a small bit of bread into his mouth, he caught the look on her face. It was priceless, and he would've laughed aloud once more had he not felt pity for the poor Mer. Instead, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and drew her close, angling his head down so that their hair touched.

"Do not worry, Weeta-girl, the land is not all bad."

Sweeping his free arm out, he indicated the forest around them.

"It is beautiful like the sea; in its' own way. And like the sea, it is big. But that is why your Elders sent you with me... "

He gave her a reassuring squeeze.

"... I will keep you safe."

Weeta
Oct 10th, 2008, 11:45:09 PM
Weeta huddled in close to his body, though the Glaucans do not radiate heat like the Mer do. Looking up at him, she saw his gill slits opening and closing like they were gasping for air, and she willed herself to resist reaching up and touching them.

"How can you stand it?" she whispered, looking out at the grass and the trees and the vast expanse of NOT OCEAN. "Its so... different. It doesn't move."

Perhaps she would suffer from landsickness, as was often heard of in the many stories of the few Mer that ventured from the cliffs. The sea was in constant motion, and even their cliffside homes swayed and shifted in the coastal winds. Weeta felt dizzy as she found herself concentrating on how still everything was, and she hopped up immediately, flapping her arms around as if that would keep the disorienting illusion under her feet at bay.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:37:54 AM
He watched her stand, trying to get her bearings and steady herself. It was true, his own people were so closely connected to the sea that normally landtravel was looked at as a hindrance, but there were still a few Glaucans who ventured out from the waters. For some, the land was a necessary part of life, and those who spent any long amount of time away from the ocean were few and far between. Himself and Ariadne found it easier than most of their kind to be upon the land; and even then Ariadne more than him.

Biting into a piece of dried fruit, Glasswater gave Weeta a lopsided grin.

"The land moves too; it is only more subtle than the waves you're used to. The wind travels over and makes the grass sway and the trees dance. You only need to look a little closer at everything.

"In fact, even further south there is a great sea made of sand. The winds move and shape it every day, and no two sandwaves are the same ever."

Finishing the last of his meal, he bundled up the parcel before rising to his own feet.

"But we are not going that far. The sand ocean is a long way off; farther away even than Ha'lainn Inniu."

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:01:42 AM
"Ugh," Weeta said, making another face. "Forget lunch, lets just get this over with." She walked over to the horse, standing beside the animal that loomed over her. Grasping the stirrup, she scrambled up the side of the horse, ending up on her belly in the middle of the saddle.

The horse whickered and sidestepped as she wiggled around on top of it, but Weeta was determined not to be afraid of it any longer. Getting her hands underneath her the Mer stood up, balancing adeptly on the moving animal. "Lets..." she wavered, putting her hands out for balance. "...go!"

Actually this was sort of fun.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:23:54 AM
A wide smile, and Glasswater reached up to grab the little Mer around the waist with his hands, depositing her back on the makeshift seat he'd fashioned for her.

"You keep on like that, and I just might need to get you your own horse."

Matraca, the raven, strutted about in a tight circle on the animal's rump as the Glaucan heaved himself up into the saddle once again. He started his horse off at a brisk walk.

"Now. I suppose we could arrive in Ha'lainn Inniu in three days, but that means we'd have to ride fast."

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:32:22 AM
She wrapped her arms around the Glauca's waist, pressing her head against his back. "Then... go fast." Weeta sighed. "I'll just hafta get used t' it."

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:40:13 AM
"As you wish."

A hiss to the horse, and Glasswater urged the animal into a fast lope. Long strides took them over land at a dizzying pace, and he felt Weeta's grip grow tight around his waist. Matraca, not expecting the sudden movement, had hopped up and into the air, taking flight above them.

For the better part of the rest of the day they traveled as such, and every so often Glasswater would slow the horse to a brisk trot. It was never for very long though before they were once more racing through wood and over grasslands.

The Glaucan only hoped that Ariadne was waiting for them in Ha'lainn Inniu.

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:52:51 AM
For her brave talk, Weeta still traveled with her eyes shut. The faster the horse went the smoother the ride was, but as the sun stretched for the tree lined horizon behind them she was battling with growing nausea in her stomach.

When Mr. Glasswater finally stopped and said they could make camp, her bravado was gone. Weeta slid off the back of the horse, groaning and holding her tummy. "I don't feel so good..."

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 01:04:17 AM
Following the Mer, Glasswater gave her a concerned look and reached down to steady her.

"You don't look so good, Little Cousin. Come, sit down beside the trees while I unpack our things."

Leading her to a small and out of the way thicket, the Glaucan was gentle as he helped to ease her down. That task finished, he made quick work of pulling their bedrolls from the saddle, along with an extra blanket.

Returning to where he'd left Weeta, Glasswater laid out one of the bedrolls for her, and scrunched up the blanket so she could use it as a pillow.

Beckoning for her, he gave her a kind smile.

"Lay down here; rest and sleep for the night. You'll feel better come morning."

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 01:19:20 AM
"O...okay," she said, snuggling down into the blankets. They were rougher than she was used to, but she was too dizzy and sick feeling to complain about it.

After a moment of laying still, she hopped up. "I need some water," she moped, accepting the canteen from the gruff Glaucan. After drinking her fill, she capped it and sloshed the water around next to her ear. "Its... not the same," Weeta mourned. "I'm used to hearing the waves."

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 01:22:15 AM
There was a sly grin sent her way, and Glasswater once more went for his saddlebags, this time pulling out a wrapped bundle. Moving to sit down beside his Mer companion, he carefully unwrapped the cloth to reveal a conch shell.

"Sleep with this next to your ear, and you will hear the ocean waves crashing all night long. I sometimes use it when I miss the sea myself."

He gave a wink.

"And so does Ariadne."

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 01:27:41 AM
Her eyes widened, and she took the large shell carefully in her smaller hands. "Really?" Weeta held the shell to her ear dubiously, and she slowly smiled. "I hear it!"

Then her stomach lurched and she ran for the privacy of a bush as the snack they'd eaten on the trail came back up. Glasswater smiled, leaving the shell on her blankets where she'd hastily dropped it and set about making camp. A small fire brightened up the growing darkness of night, and when Weeta finally felt well enough to climb back into her blankets the Glaucan appeared to be asleep.

With the shell by her ear, she closed her eyes as well. Murmuring into the night, she said, "Thank you, Mister Glasswater..." Weeta yawned, the exertion of the ride and her sickness drawing her down quickly into a deep sleep.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 10:46:20 AM
Glasswater was up before the early morning dawn, quietly going about the task of preparing a small meal for himself and Weeta. It would not be much, since he didn't want the little Mer to be sick for the rest of their ride to the Fian city, but it would be enough to fill their stomachs. Bread, a small amount of spiced oil and shrimp paste spread, and a lightly grilled fish steak that he'd been given before leaving Peer.

He sat, turning the fish over the campfire on a spit.

He drank occasionally from the flask of water, staring at the flames in front of him. They took his thoughts to the lantern that he carried, and the Glaucan frowned to himself. Kariun had gone mad, stealing the thing. And for what? To start a war? There was no wealth attached to it, nothing of value to redeem it in any way. The only thing that it'd brought them all was death and suffering.

Glasswater sighed, taking another sip of water.

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 02:22:56 PM
Weeta stirred in her sleep, her slim arms wrapped around her body. "...I'll swim..." She jerked, one arm flinging up over her head. "I'll go... no... no Mata, my hammock is put away..."

The Mer sat up suddenly, blinking sleep from her eyes with the nictitating membrane that kept her large eyes safe in the ocean. "I'm ravenous!" She lurched to her feet, blanket falling off her like a wave from a rock. Weeta staggered towards Mr. Glasswater, her hair sticking up in all directions as her stomach rumbled. Other than a little dizziness, she felt much better than the day before.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 02:41:51 PM
Pulled from his thoughts, Glasswater let a smile break his sombre features as Weeta made her way to the campfire. He held the water flask out to her.

"And how did we sleep last night?"

A look was sent to the conch shell still on her pillow.

"Ocean dreams, I hope?"

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:21:10 PM
She yawned, stretching mightily for her size before taking the water flask. "I dreamt that something was chasing me," she said, uncorking the flask and drinking deeply to rinse the sleep from her mouth.

Weeta held out the flask and using her affinity for water caused the liquid to rise up out of the mouth. A glob of water was sent hurtling over to the bigger Glaucan, splashing on his shirt. She giggled.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:27:14 PM
Not entirely shocked by the Mer's playfulness, Glasswater winked ather before flicking a small twig her way.

"Little Mer girls who like to get their big Glaucan cousins wet usually tend to go without breakfast."

The look she sent to him made him laugh aloud then, and quick as anything he reached out to snag her up with his hands and deposit her solidly on the soft earth beside where he sat. Ruffling her hair with one hand, he took the roasted fish from the spit and laid it on a loaf of bread spread with the shrimp paste.

Splitting their shared meal, he handed one half to Weeta.

"Now, something was chasing you, you say?"

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:30:29 PM
Accepting the roasted fish gratefully the small Mer nodded. "Yeah," Weeta said around a big mouthful, "Funny thing is, Ariadne was with the people chasing me." She wiped her mouth on the back of her hand.

She shrugged, pulling more of the warm flesh of the fish apart with her fingers. "Justa dream."

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:45:27 PM
Arching an eyebrow, Glasswater bit into his own meal, chewing thoughtfully.

"I've a feeling that the only thing Ariadne would chase you for would be to ask for a new tattoo."

More quiet moments passed as they ate, and soon enough Glasswater rose carefully. It was time to begin packing up their small camp, and kneeling at his bedroll to gather it up, he spoke once more without looking at the Mer.

The tone of his voice had changed to one decidedly more serious.

"Kariun is dead."

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:49:40 PM
"Oh."

Weeta licked the fish from her fingers thoughtfully. "Is Ariadne sad?" She would be sad if her father had died. "I am sure the Great Birds will take him to the edge of the seas..." but she didn't sound sure, because she was aware that the Glauca buried their dead at sea, not in the air like the Mer.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:53:06 PM
"She was sad for a short time."

Standing, he gathered up both his and Weeta's bedrolls and stepped carefully around the campfire. His horse was already saddled, and Glasswater lay the sleeping blankets behind the seat, mindful to form a spot for Weeta to sit on.

"But she has her duties. She is Fyrian, now."

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:09:30 PM
Weeta skipped over to him, swinging her arms. "Oh, yeah!" She turned a cartwheel in the soft grass, and added, "Maybe she'll take me on her ship. Kariun would never let me."

Her ears twitched, and she looked around. "Do you hear that?"

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:16:09 PM
The smile he afforded her melted away as he too listened intently. His hearing wasn't so attuned as Weeta's, but it wasn't long before the sounds of approaching horses was heard by him as well. His brow furrowed, and his efforts to pack up their campsite redoubled.

Odds were good that it was simply a group of travelers, but the Glaucan knew enough to be prepared. If they needed to make a quick getaway from thieves, they'd be in a better position to do so while already on horseback.

Matraca, who'd happily been scrounging through the ground for leftover crumbs of breakfast, perked his head up as well. A moment later he hopped forward and up, taking to flight.

The rest of their possessions were stowed easily, and Glasswater kicked dirt over the fire to smother it out.

"Come on Little Cousin," he spoke gruffly.

And without waiting for an answer from her, he swept her up and set her easily on the makeshift seat before climbing up into the saddle himself.

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:23:09 PM
Weeta squeaked as Glasswater easily manhandled her, and was barely able to get her hands on his belt before he was kicking the horse. Her second eyelid closed to protect her eyes from the wind, and she looked back as the campsite disappeared behind them.

The saddlebags were lumpy under her legs, and she squeezed with her knees, trying to think of the horse as the deck of a boat and using her balance to relieve her tight hold on Mr. Glasswater.

Low lying branches whipped around them, and she thought she saw movement. "What is it?" she shouted, trying to get his attention.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:30:45 PM
After a short distance, Glasswater pulled at the reigns to bring the horse to a halt. The animal turned in circles, hooves hitting the forrest floor in impatience as he craned his neck left and right, then front and back.

"I don't know."

The sounds they'd heard grew louder, coming from the direction they'd just been, and the Glaucan kept the horse steady. Whatever was coming through the forest sounded vaguely familiar; the rattle of metal and the creak of leather. It wasn't a large group, but it was certainly more than one person.

Caution prevailing, Glasswater drew the curved scimitar from his belt. It was a wide blade, sharpened on only one side.

Holding it at a downward angle, he watched with growing trepidation as shapes began to appear through the trees before them.

Weeta
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:35:44 PM
Weeta pressed her lips into a firm line as Glasswater drew his curved sword. She put her hand on the pommel of her double edged short sword, and swallowed hard. She'd never really fought anything bigger than a shark, before.

Of course, sharks got mighty big.

It sounded like a bunch of horses as the sound became clearer, and she was hit by a sudden feeling of dread. Weeta tried to determine how to hold on and not get in the way of the Glaucan's sword arm, or if she should draw her own weapon or if she'd be more likely to stab her ally if she did so.

She decided not to draw it, and hooked one hand around his belt, putting the other on the rump of the horse to steady herself.

Ariadne Fyrian
Oct 12th, 2008, 07:20:40 PM
There'd been word passed about that movement was sighted up ahead, but Fyrian paid little attention to it.

The group had ridden hard, Mako it seemed determined to catch up with Glasswater before the day was out. They'd made a small camp the night before, and were already set out as the sun's rays began touching the earth.

Fyrian and Erifa both rode beside the Imperator, speaking little. Erifa, in a seemingly eternal sour mood, often cast angry faces to Mako while Fyrian simply rode. She secluded herself in her thoughts, worried for the future. Would Mako force her to return to Necia? As much as she wished to, the Glaucan knew that it would mean her life was forfeit, at the hands of the one who had once been so kind to her.

A motion skyward caught her eye, and she looked up. Erifa had also seen it, and her face broke into a smile.

Fyrian knew the shape of the bird overhead, and she lifted her fingers to her lips, letting out a piercing whistle.

The raven, hearing the call of his mistress, swooped low and circled around the front of the group before alighting on Fyrian's outstretched arm. She leaned in to deliver a gentle kiss to the bird's head.

"If Matraca is here, so is Glasswater."

Fyrian nodded at the girl's words. The question now though, was exactly where Glasswater was.

Cneidon Mako
Oct 12th, 2008, 07:45:00 PM
"Good."

Mako watched Fyrian and the bird which seemed to respond to her beckon call.

"Cipa."

One of the soldiers in the column rode ahead, and dismounted a few meters beyond. He crouched in the trail for a moment.

"Only one set of fresh tracks, Imperator."Mako looked again to Fyrian with a self-assured smile.

"Let's bring this heist to an end today."

He reached to the crest of his helmet, pulling down the stylized facemask so that the fair-featured visage of the Necian hero Frifax stared serenely ahead, his wavy metal locks parted down each side of the armor.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 15th, 2008, 05:06:38 PM
He heard the whistle; it was unmistakeable and familiar. Ariadne. Apparently she'd not made it to Ha'ainn Inniu yet, and was catching up with him.

Glasswater breathed a sigh of marginal relief at the thought, but still hesitated. He could hear more than one horse. Had she brought some of the crew with her?

A quick glance over his shoulder at Weeta, and the Glaucan gave a reassuring smile.

"It is Ariadne. Apparently she's not made it to the Fian city yet."

His rigid posture softened, and Glasswater rolled his shoulders back while replacing his sword at his belt. Slowly nudging his horse forward, they began retracing their steps.

Weeta
Oct 15th, 2008, 05:10:16 PM
"Oh," said Weeta, but she didn't relax. Somehow her dream kept bugging her. As the horse turned around and started walking back the way they'd come, the Mer kept her hand on the hilt of her sword.

Something didn't seem right. Of course, she was so far away from the ocean that she couldn't even hear it, so there weren't many things around her that did seem right. Weeta tried to relax.

Ariadne Fyrian
Oct 15th, 2008, 07:00:57 PM
Fyrian gave a doleful look to the Imperator, but otherwise said nothing before returning her attentions to Matraca. The bird fluffled his feathers, obviously happy to be on the arm of his mistress. Fyrian smiled in spite of herself and ran a hand over the avian's head. Such a wonderful animal, such a loyal animal. She leaned in to deliver another soft kiss to his head before finally turning to look at Mako.

"Don't bull your way into this. There are gentler ways to get what you so desire."

With a sweeping motion, the Glaucan woman reached over to the Imperator. It was a stretch, but she was able to delicately take the lower cusp of his facemask and pull it up once more so that his face was exposed.

"If you so wish for the return of your lantern, all you have is to but ask me and I shall give it to you. Why take with force when you can retrieve with grace?"

Cneidon Mako
Oct 15th, 2008, 09:00:04 PM
Mako studied Fyrian's face for any treachery. If any existed, she was obviously gifted in concealing it. Reluctantly, he relented.

"Very well."

He glanced back to the guard, who dialed back their expectation for immediate conflict, to a state of watchful readiness.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 16th, 2008, 05:49:17 PM
He could sense her reserve and worry, but Glasswater merely turned about in his saddle to wrap his arm about her and give a squeeze.

"It is alright," he said gently while nudging the horse forward. "Ariadne has only brought more of the crew with her. Perhaps even Blackpool is with her."

The party ahead began to materialize through the morning mist, and as his eyes searched the shapes before them the Glaucan gave a soft hrumph. The group did not seem to be pirates; or at least they didn't give the appearance of being so.

Glasswater brought his horse to a sudden stop then as one man in front became clear. A Necian; not hard to discern considering his armor and just the very way he sat atop his mount. Surprise at this sudden turn, his eyes went to the two at either side of the Necian; Ariadne and Erifa.

A moment of silence, and then the big Glaucan burst out laughing.

Weeta
Oct 20th, 2008, 05:23:30 PM
Weeta jumped at the Glaucan's sudden burst of laughter, nearly falling off the horse she was so surprised. She recognized the Necians, well, not personally, but in general.

And there was Ariadne! Weeta waved wildly before she could stop herself, excited to see her friend. But what if she was a prisoner? She was Fyrian now, after all. The Mer gulped.

Ariadne Fyrian
Oct 20th, 2008, 05:39:09 PM
Glasswater's laughter rang through the trees clearly, and Fyrian stared at him from over the tops of her eyes, a grin playing across her face. His reaction was enough to make her inwardly laugh at Mako. Did he honestly think that his haughty airs and finely polished Necian armor would intimidate a man such as Glasswater? Perhaps herself to a degree - yes - but the big Glaucan was of a different mind than most.

But what was this? Did her eyes decieve her? Weeta, energetically waving, sat atop a horse! It made Fyrian let out a laugh, and with an upward gesture of her arm, she sent Matraca skyward once more.

Erifa, all smiles, waved back to the little Mer.

Lifting herself from the saddle, Fyrian dismounted lightly, her boots touching the ground with soft crunches. The Imperator was given an almost defiant look, and without waiting for his permission, she started toward Glasswater and Weeta.

Cneidon Mako
Oct 20th, 2008, 08:49:17 PM
Mako pulled back on his reigns, causing his horse to cool its hooves momentarily. Standing somewhat idle, the beast shifted its weight a few times, and snorted. He watched the interaction of Fyrian, her pirate accomplice, and this young Mer woman. He was acutely aware that he was taking a risk with allowing Fyrian some degree of liberty, and so he remained silent, but with a cool wariness about him.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:05:53 PM
Laughter dying down, Glasswater canted his head to the side and was rewarded with a series of snaps as his neck popped. Fyrian it seemed had gotten herself into a bit of a spot, and while he was mindful to keep his guard up, he could tell by the way that she walked that not all had gone horribly wrong.

It still nagged at him though, how his captain had looked to the Necian before starting his way.

Careful to not disturb Weeta too much, his slowly dismounted as well.

Gently the Glaucan reached up to take the little Mer by her waist, sliding her forward so that she now occupied his spot in the saddle.

"Now don't touch anything, Little Cousin," he whispered softly while giving a pat to her leg.

And then he turned to face the group. Striking out ahead, Glasswater kept a hand on the pommel of his blade as he drew closer to Fyrian.

"You have made friends it seems, Captain."

She smiled back at him.

"An unfortunate position, Mr. Glasswater."

"Is it really? If I were to venture a guess, would I be correct in thinking that you've decided to break away from your father's prejudiced natures?"

The two Glaucans stopped a scant few paces from each other.

"And if I have, would my navigator remain at my side?"

Glasswater took on a stern face then, his shoulders squaring back as he looked past Fyrian. He took a moment to seemingly size up the Necian beyond her.

"Your navigator," he finally rumbled, "... will follow your orders no matter what."

He half-turned then, looking to Weeta and giving her a reassuring smile.

"... else our Little Cousin would never speak to me again."

Weeta
Oct 20th, 2008, 09:24:39 PM
"That's right," said Weeta. "Never ever!"

She frowned at the Necian soldiers. "What are they doing here?" Shifting around, the Mer accidentally stuck her hand in one of the saddlebags. There was something hard inside of it.

Ariadne Fyrian
Oct 21st, 2008, 08:42:51 PM
Fyrian gave the Mer a soft gaze, taking note of the frown.

"They... " how to explain?

"... they travel with me in good faith."

Which was the best she could think of to describe it for the moment.

A scowl of her own, and Fyrian shifted her gaze back to Glasswater.

"I've come for the lantern."

"Is that so?"

There was no challenge in his voice, instead a raised lilt that betrayed his curiosity. Biting her lip, the Glaucan woman laid a hand on her horse's neck.

"I do. Kariun angered Denetion by taking it -"

"He is not the only perpetrator in this crime," the navigator hissed, his voice low for only her to hear.

"I know that. But the one who encouraged him to commit this offense will be held accountable in his own time. Right now it is our duty to at least mend our side of this wrongdoing."

Glasswater gave a cautious glance to Mako, and Fyrian made a pained face at the thin-lipped contempt that her shipmate openly displayed.

Cneidon Mako
Oct 21st, 2008, 10:34:12 PM
Mako let his horse stroll a few sidelong steps, keeping it largely in its place as he watched Glasswater intently. Would he capitulate to Fyrian's demand. For now, the Imperator did as she suggested, and remained silent. The guards in tow could sense the tension, and they too hung onto every word being said.

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:54:30 PM
For a few moments more he stared at the Necian, but presently his gaze shifted to Fyrian, and Glasswater gave her a deep hrumph. He would follow her without doubt, though Kariun's failed endeavor and Ariadne's peculiar new association with Necian soldiers gave him much to think on. What direction would she take the Fold?

"You wish for the lantern then."

An obvious question they both knew, and Fyrian nodded.

He let a hissed breath escape his lips then.

"We are in a delicate position, you and I." A gesture behind him to Weeta, and then ahead to Erifa. "... Weeta and Erifa as well. Is this decision you've made... was it made by your own self, or were you forced into it?"

Weeta
Oct 29th, 2008, 07:27:17 PM
Speaking of delicate positions, Weeta's was getting more and more uncomfortable by the moment. Whatever it was in the saddlebags under her leg was getting pokier and pokier, and she couldn't shift back to how she was sitting before. If she did, then she wouldn't be able to see what was going on!

While the Glaucan pirates chatted, the Mer twisted around and flipped open the offending saddlebag. It was on the other side of the horse, so no one could see what she was doing. Sticking her hand inside she encountered something cool and smooth... metal and glass. Peering down, Weeta channeled a bit of her metal power into it to gauge what sort of metal it was made of, and what it was in the first place.

As she did so it seemed to stick to her hand, and abruptly glowed bright red-orange, like a spotlight was being shone out of the bag and up at her face. Weeta shrieked and fell off the horse backwards, the metal item still clutched in her hand as though she couldn't let go of it.

Landing awkwardly, the Mer lay motionless in the long grass, in danger of being stepped on by Glasswater's horse who was slightly spooked by her sudden scream.

Ariadne Fyrian
Oct 30th, 2008, 05:58:00 PM
Weeta's cry was startling, and both Fyrian and Glasswater gave a start. Even as the big Glaucan was whirling about, Fyrian was already in motion. The reigns she held were dropped, and her horse left to stand on its' own as she quickly moved to where the Mer had fallen. She was careful to push Glasswater's own mount to the side and away from Weeta.

Her Little Cousin clutched the lantern with an unnatural grip, and the Glaucan passed a hand over the Mer's forehead.

"Weeta-girl," she whispered urgently, "Weeta-girl let go."

Cneidon Mako
Oct 30th, 2008, 06:50:35 PM
Mako dismounted immediately at the sight of his prize, and rushed forward.

"The lantern!"

He stopped a few steps in front of the others, his brow furrowed. Something was amiss with this Mer.

"What is this?"

Mr. Glasswater
Oct 30th, 2008, 07:41:52 PM
A frown sent to Mako, Glasswater raised a cautionary hand. Now was not the time for Necian brutishness.

Weeta's curiosity had - it seemed - gotten the better of her this time, and as he turned to look down at Fyrian and the Mer, Glasswater felt his concern well up. Taking a knee beside his captain, he placed his hands gently over Weeta's own small ones that still held fast to the lantern.

Weeta
Nov 4th, 2008, 07:00:42 PM
"Gnnnnnnhh!" Weeta's eyes snapped open, and every muscle in her body stiffened, clenching her jaws shut as she tried to scream. It hurt! She writhed on the ground, jerking and shaking.

After a moment Mr. Glasswater started to try to pry her hands off of the thing she'd found in the saddlebags. Inside... inside it felt like oil and water in her stomach, and pain all over her skin.

Just as suddenly it was over, and the object fell from her hand. Weeta gasped, moaned, and grabbed at Ariadne's leathers, her skin hot to the touch. "Help..." She cried, her tears steaming.

Ariadne Fyrian
Nov 4th, 2008, 07:40:10 PM
Fyrian took the girl up in her arms then, biting her lip at the heat emanating from Weeta's body. It was unnatural. Frowning, she turned to look down at the lantern that rested by her foot. Like some curiosity from across the seas; unassuming yet intricately designed.

Holding Weeta tightly to her chest, Fyrian rose to her feet. She whispered soothing words to the Mer, and turning halfway to send a sideways look at Mako, the Glaucan kicked the lantern toward him.

"There's your lantern."

A look to Glasswater, and she hugged Weeta close, whispering in her ear.

"You'll be alright."

Cneidon Mako
Nov 5th, 2008, 11:59:48 PM
In a moment, Mako kneeled down and scooped up the Lantern. He glanced back at his men, knowing that one of their major tasks were now completed. Why, then, did he now turn to the Mer woman?

"What afflicts her?"

Weeta
Nov 6th, 2008, 09:02:23 PM
Weeta answered Ariadne by turning her head on a stiff neck and throwing up onto the grass.

Mr. Glasswater
Nov 9th, 2008, 05:27:44 PM
Glasswater winced at the sight of the Mer losing her stomach, and rose to his feet to look at the Necian.

"Landsickness."

It was a boldfaced lie, but one that held credence none-the-less. He had an inkling that there was more to Weeta's sudden illness than simple landsickness, but for now he kept his thoughts to himself. He suspected however, that Fyrian held the same opinion as he... that the lantern had done something to the Mer.

Cneidon Mako
Nov 17th, 2008, 11:06:21 PM
"Queer creatures, these Mer."

Hefting the lantern, Mako turned the artifact over to a subordinate, who shrouded it up in a lambskin, which he tucked into his pack.

"Make her fit for travel. We should make leave of this place soon."

Mako returned to his mount, looking down at the three who were huddled before him.

Ariadne Fyrian
Nov 17th, 2008, 11:17:23 PM
Fyrian sent a glower up to Mako, and returning her attentions to Weeta, she gently wiped the girl's mouth with the outer edge of her over-skirt. Rising to stand with the Mer still in her arms, the Glaucan hugged her tightly.

Making her way carefully to her horse, Ariadne was mindful to not jostle her charge too much, and with care she lifted her up into the saddle. She was burning up, that much was easy to see. A hand over her brow only confirmed that fact, and the Glaucan whispered soothing words before turning to the Necian.

"You've got your prize; let us be. I must take her back to water."

Weeta
Nov 17th, 2008, 11:25:24 PM
"Awwww..." Weeta groaned, slumping sideways in the saddle. Only Ariadne's quick thinking kept the Mer from falling to the ground again. "Fire... so hot..."

She felt like sparks were coming off of her fingertips, and she felt moist, like the humidity was ramping up around her. In fact, it was.

Mr. Glasswater
Nov 20th, 2008, 04:17:12 PM
Taking his captain's cue, Glasswater was quick to heave himself back up into his saddle. His mount shifted beneath the sudden weight, but otherwise stood in place.

So Ariadne wished to return to the water. It was just as well; the trip to the Fian city might have to wait as Weeta's sickness took precedence. She needed to be well.

To punctuate Ariadne's words, the Glaucan nudged his horse forward as Fyrian hefted herself up onto her own horse and settled carefully behind the Mer girl.

"You have your prize, Necian. Be on your way."

Cneidon Mako
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:08:14 PM
Mako pointedly looked toward Fyrian, who knew that he only had half of his prize. Looking back at Glasswater, an annoyed sneer was barely visible.

"Do pirate underlings have to ask their superiors for permission to speak so utterly out of place?"

He gestured his horse along the path.

"To Peer. From there, we'll see exactly what business we have remaining."

Ariadne Fyrian
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:17:55 PM
She bared her teeth at Mako, but otherwise made no retort. They would return to Peer and hopefully be the better for it.

Urging her horse to move alongside the Imperator, Fyrian remained aware of the small party behind them as they retraced their steps. She was perplexed however, at the heat coming from Weeta's body, yet still the Glaucan woman kept a firm and tender hold upon the girl. She passed a hand over the Mer's brow to wipe a sheen of sweat away.

Glancing to Mako then, Fyrian afforded him a scowl, but chose to keep her thoughts to herself. At least Glasswater knew better than to buy into the barbed wordplay that the Necian had delivered.

Once more her attentions went to Weeta, and she whispered softly into her ear.

"We are returning to the waters, Weeta-girl. Don't worry."

Weeta
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:36:19 PM
"No!" Weeta struggled against Ariadne's hold suddenly, flailing about. "I have to go... go to the Fian. I have to go."

She sobbed, "I cannot go back to Peer yet. Please. The bones... the bones..."

Mr. Glasswater
Nov 22nd, 2008, 01:20:30 PM
Motioning for Fyrian to slow her mount and ride alongside himself, Glasswater waited patiently as his captain allowed the Necian Imperator to draw ahead of her. When she'd sidled up beside him as they walked, he reached over to gently still the struggling Mer. The heat coming from her body was disturbing, but he hid his discomfort with a stoic facade.

"We cannot go back to Peer Captain," he whispered.

It was true; they could not. But, he was also unsure whether it was wise to continue onward to the Fian city. Whatever had happened to Weeta was most certainly magic related. Her sickness had come from the lantern, that much he knew just from what he'd seen.

"She is accosted by the fire," he went on, "... and there is only one avenue left to pursue.

"And you know it."

Cneidon Mako
Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:20:18 PM
Mako glanced back at Fyrian and Glasswater, and looked to a subordinate with a stony expression.

"Be prepared to cut all three of them down."

He spoke quietly, and nodded knowingly to the soldier.

"No more complications."

Ariadne Fyrian
Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:32:40 PM
Fyrian gave a sigh, but knew that there were no falsehoods in what Glasswater spoke. He was just as concerned for Weeta as she was; it was easily evident in the look he turned toward her.

Erifa in the meantime had come up to the other side of Fyrian, and she looked at Weeta. She wasn't entirely sure what afflicted the Mer, but it seemed that Glasswater and the Captain did.

She spoke in hushed tones.

"What's wrong with her?"

A sideways look to Erifa, and Fyrian answered quietly.

"Fire. From the Lantern."

Without anymore explanation than that, the Glaucan nudged her mount back up so that she rode beside Mako. Still keeping her hold on Weeta, she gave a soft kiss to the girl's warm brow before speaking. Her green eyes held a deep worry for her Mer companion, and she turned them to the Imperator.

"We are more than a day's ride away from Peer. It would be wise to begin thinking of where you wish to camp for the night."

Weeta
Nov 23rd, 2008, 01:57:28 PM
"Ha'lainn Inniu," Weeta moaned. "They depend on me! Incendia exuro silva tamen unda occulto terra..."

She didn't know what she was saying.

Mr. Glasswater
Nov 23rd, 2008, 02:06:15 PM
"They depend on you being healthy enough to speak clearly," Glasswater rumbled as he too came up to ride beside Fyrian.

But they could not wait much longer; if Weeta was to survive long enough to ride into the Fian city, she would need to be cured of the fire magic within her.

Unfortunately, that meant there was only one place to go.

The Mer would have to be taken into the belly of the Necian beast, Demos.

Cneidon Mako
Nov 23rd, 2008, 03:30:07 PM
Mako nodded at her request.

"There's a dell up ahead, just off the trail. We'll set up there."

The southlands were particularly mild, and Mako didn't worry about the sometimes-tempermental temperature that was dealt in northern Asga. His soldiers had enough canvas with them to form a rudimentary tent.

He looked at her. Trouble was heavy on her face.

"The girl worries you."

Ariadne Fyrian
Nov 23rd, 2008, 04:07:49 PM
A worried look to Weeta, and Fyrian turned her eyes to Mako. Involuntarily she hugged the Mer closer, as if the Imperator had made some sort of threat.

"Not all in my family are unfeeling towards others."

Erifa, moving up to the other side of Mako, leaned over in her saddle. She gave the Necian a pat to the leg before settling herself back.

"Kariun wasn't so bad himself; just his greed often got the better of him. It clouded his judgement and made him cross Denetion too many times.

"We'll be better off under Ariadne."

Cneidon Mako
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:30:03 PM
"This is something more serious than landsickness."

Mako didn't need to make a prognosis to come to the conclusion. He could read the graveness of Fyrian and her subordinate to know that something serious was befalling her.

He rode on, and the assumption he made could only be a specific culprit.

"Perhaps some unnatural affliction from contact with the lantern?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:41:56 PM
Scowling, Ariadne gave a sideways look to Mako. Her grip on Weeta remained like steel.

"It is landsickness. She has never been away from the water for such a long period of time. Some it affects worse than others."

Erifa, still her airy self, shook hair from her face.

"Let us worry about her. I doubt that you would do your country a service by fretting over a single Mer."

Cneidon Mako
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:53:30 PM
The Imperator let it fall to the wayside. The objectives remained, to return to Peer. From there, he would re-evaluate things.

The group turned off the trail, into the small dell that dipped down a gentle slope. A small creek cut across the depression, and was flanked by a score of trees.

"We'll camp here."

Ariadne Fyrian
Nov 30th, 2008, 07:04:42 PM
Nodding at his choice of where to set up their camp, Fyrian drew her horse to a slow stop. Glasswater moved up alongside, and dismounting, he came around to take Weeta from his captain's arms. Holding the Mer close, he waited for Ariadne to dismount as well.

Casting a furtive glance to the Imperator, she once more turned to Glasswater. Erifa joined them, and the three held a hurried conversation; where they should set their own supplies, how they could make Weeta comfortable for the time being.

It didn't need to be said that they would not be returning to Peer; in fact, it was highly likely that all three would be far from here by the time morning broke.

With Weeta and the Lantern both.

A plan had begun to form in her mind, and Fyrian prayed to Denetion that it would play in her favor. For Weeta, for herself, for her crew, and for Draxus.

Weeta
Dec 1st, 2008, 03:31:36 PM
Weeta groaned as loudly as she could, to verbalize her discomfort so no one could miss it. Ariadne tucked her into bed on the hard dirt, and the Mer pouted and moaned, curling up on her side. She felt so hot!

They'd traveled backwards for most of the day, but they were camping again before the sun went down. And Ariadne had been chatting with the Necian guy for most of the day. Ignoring Weeta.

Poor Weeta. She stretched out as much as she could, accidentally kicking Mr. Glasswater as she did so.

Mr. Glasswater
Dec 7th, 2008, 05:13:07 PM
Somewhat startled by the kick, Glasswater gave a slight grunt before turning to look at Weeta. His features softened despite the company he'd found himself in, and without a word he squatted down. A big hand went to brush away sweaty locks of red hair, and with his other he gave her cheek a gentle pat.

"Be calm, Weeta," he whispered.

"Ariadne will make you better so that you can talk to the Fian."

Erifa, in the process of laying out her own bedroll beside Weeta's, snuggled in close to the Mer.

"Glasswater's right," she gave one long ear a soft peck with her lips as she too lowered her voice.

"It won't be long now. Captain's got a plan, I know it."

Cneidon Mako
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:54:26 PM
Mako set his shelter alongside his soldiers. Two were selected by lot to sentry duty, and would wake others in three hours for rotation. Before retiring, the Imperator took the two sentries aside, speaking low.

"Watch them. If any make an attempt to flee, kill them."

The sentries nodded at the command as Mako removed his helmet again.

"Damn cursed southlands."

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:02:31 PM
Tucked into the relative seclusion of their own small group, Fyrian lay beside Glasswater, though there was no sleep to be had. This night was to be the beginning of something... exactly what remained to be seen however. All tread on thin ice, and it was in their best interests to be cautious.

Fyrian shared her plan with her navigator, the two conversing in murmured tones and hushed whispers that none but they could hear, and it wasn't long before Glasswater gave a grunt of passable approval at her final words. He rolled over to face away from her, feigning sleep.

Another short few minutes passed, and Fyrian slowly pulled herself from her bedroll. Erifa, eyes slitted open and staring at her from between locks of Weeta's hair, spoke not a word, other than to nod imperceptibly at the Glaucan woman's silent handsignal to be at the ready.

She left her bedroll and her companions for now. What was to be done to start this game into motion was for her alone. It would allow her a greater knowledge of the Satrap, and the justification she needed beyond the life of Weeta. At its' core, her plan twisted Kariun's original bargain in such a way that would allow her life to continue; though it would not be at the helm of the Chiron - that much she already knew.

Hopefully, Denetion willing, it would not end with her life forfeit in the Necian arena as had Blackpool's.

Fyrian picked her way through the small camp until she'd stopped at the Imperator's tent. It was easy to see that he'd not yet retired for the night, and the Glaucan gently eased up the doorflap.

She stood illuminated by the outside lamps.

"I wish to speak with you."

Cneidon Mako
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:50:33 PM
Illuminated by a candle in his pup tent, Mako crawled forward, rising to his feet once outside.

"You should make use of some rest."

He stood with her, knowing that she wouldn't heed the advice, and that she had some matter of importance to speak of.

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:39:10 PM
"I'm not tired."

Which was truth. Adrenaline and anticipation kept her from even thinking of sleep.

Standing beside the Imperator, Fyrian looked upward to the sky, taking in the sea of stars before once more turning her gaze to Mako's.

"Tell me of the Satrap."

Before he could deny her, the Glaucan bowed her head.

"Please."

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:42:25 PM
"What do you wish to know?"

He wasn't unawares of Fyrian and Draxus's peculiar relationship.

"I think my answers may be more pragmatic in observation than you may wish to hear, but that is due to the nature of our own interaction."

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:56:25 PM
She was not so taken as to refuse an honest appraisal, and Fyrian indicated as such that she welcomed what he might have to say.

"Being who you are I would appreciate an amount of candor and realism."

A slight frown. Even in her short time with Draxus she'd been able to detect his insatiable ambition.

"As well, what will he do when the Lantern is returned... ?"

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 05:02:48 PM
"I imagine he will use the political capital of his victory to bury Varo and the other Satraps set against him."

He thought it over.

"Power that isn't wielded will atrophy. I may not have Draxus's mind for politics, but I have a keen understanding of that. You enrich your allies at the deprivation of your enemies."

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 05:13:48 PM
It made enough sense that she nodded. Indeed, with such a passion for the political comings and goings of a nation, and the ability to wear the honor of the Lantern's return on his shoulders, Csephion Draxus would no doubt take advantage of such a position. He would do away with Varo and those who stood against him.

It was the sort of ambition that to her, was infectious. To be revered as the one who restored something so precious...

Fyrian quelled the thought.

"And when the Lantern is returned? I am to pay my debts in the arena?"

Did Mako even know the Satrap's mind well enough to venture an answer?

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 05:19:37 PM
"I would think that if he found a convenient way to avoid that, he would."

The Imperator squatted to his haunches to retrieve a waterskin from his nearby pack.

"Your name, however, would have to die."

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 05:36:40 PM
The notion of leaving her name - her family - to the wolves without any sort of chance at redemption was unwelcome.

"Fyrian cannot simply die. We are an old line; old as Denetion's waters."

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 05:55:10 PM
Mako understood this. It wasn't an easy decision in front of her.

"Necia as a nation has an infinite capacity for memory. A Satrap, even as powerful as Draxus may be, cannot override the will of the Republic. There is only one office with power of that nature, and it is never given lightly."

Drinking from the water skin, he continued.

"Given that as it may, the people appreciate symbolic victories sometimes as much as actual ones. Fyrian is as much a title as it is a family name, yes?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 06:01:58 PM
"To those outside the family it is more title than anything else. But for my family, it is our identity. Our connection to Denetion."

Her brow knitted in thought, her mind racing for any solution to be had.

"Would there be no reconciliation, even if I gave the Lantern to the Senate with my own two hands? Even if... "

A pause, and turning to look away, she went on.

"... even if I were to pledge myself to the state?"

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 06:12:08 PM
Mako passed the waterskin to Fyrian.

"That would be a question for a politician to answer."

He conceded that she needed to hear something, no matter how unqualified it might be.

"But if I were one, I would think that you would have to throw your father's legacy into the fire, as he was the one who stole it. That alone wouldn't suffice, but it would be significant."

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 06:27:25 PM
"Kariun's disregard for Denetion is what brings us to this," she grumbled slightly, accepting the waterskin.

A brief sip, and she handed it back to him.

"I suppose what happens next is for the gods to decide."

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 06:45:00 PM
"The Gods, and Draxus."

Mako returned the skin to his pack.

"Needless to say, I think both of you would be better served if he heard the news from you than from elsewhere."

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 07:03:37 PM
"He is ambitious."

It came out suddenly, but the Glaucan made no effort to retract the words. There were things that only she knew; what the Satrap had done and just how deep his grip into Kariun had been.

"If he isn't careful, he will be devoured by his people and government. I doubt anything I say or do in the times to come will dissuade him from any decisions on his part to appease the masses.

"Especially if what the masses want is my head in return for Kariun's crimes."

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 07:15:07 PM
"I've known him far longer as a soldier than as a politician. He's smart enough to know how to use mercy as well as cruelty."

He spoke to her with an even voice.

"I know you're thinking of escaping me. It's a waste of time for me to convince you of what to do. What I think about the choice you make matters very little."

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 24th, 2009, 07:22:27 PM
He cut through to the underbelly of it all, and Fyrian held back a scornful laugh. No, it wouldn't do to insult his intelligence. Instead, she crossed her arms, looking up at him.

She seized his words and expanded upon them out of mild curiosity.

"If you let me go, I would take the Lantern to Draxus. I could place it in his hands before the week was out, and you could continue your search for Denix."

Veiled though it was, it was clear that she wished to return to Necia despite her voiced misgivings.

Cneidon Mako
Jan 24th, 2009, 08:08:44 PM
"Even if I trusted you, and truthfully I don't, you're by far a higher priority than Imperator Denix. Even if you did march straight to Demos, I'd never be given another command for the negligence of judgment that would require."

He thought it over.

"Assume you're true to your word. Why return at all then?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:29:04 AM
An odd, almost worried look descended upon her features as she gave the Imperator a sidelong look.

"To undo what Kariun has done and take back my crew."

A half truth at the very best, but she wasn't willing to admit to him the whole of it. Even if he might already suspect her true desires.

Cneidon Mako
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:34:58 PM
"And nothing to do with your feelings regarding Draxus?"

It wasn't an observation that required a terrible amount of intuition.

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:53:03 PM
She pulled a face at that.

"Does that bother you?"

Cneidon Mako
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:54:42 PM
"No, but it helps to understand your motives."

Mako smiled.

"Draxus doesn't impress easily, if you're wondering about his own motives. Does that change your answer?"

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 25th, 2009, 01:04:27 PM
"No."

Looking skyward once more, the Glaucan closed her eyes and took in a long breath.

It had been long enough; Erifa would have completed her task by now and stolen back the Lantern, and Glasswater would already be on his horse, away from the camp and waiting for them with their own mounts. Weeta and the Lantern would go with her, Erifa would ride for the Eastern Coast, and Glasswater would flee to Halainn Inniu.

Fyrian's task was complete, and she exhaled before giving Mako a thankful nod. In the end she wished that her deception had not been necessary.

"Goodnight Imperator."

Cneidon Mako
Jan 25th, 2009, 01:14:22 PM
"Goodnight then."

Mako paid his goodbyes and watched her head to her own tent. He went back to his own, paused, and decided instead to check on the sentry.

He didn't get far to notice that something was wrong. The sentry's body lay prone in the grass, and there were two fewer horses tied up than there should have been.

"Wake, you oafs! We are deceived!"

He kicked at a pair of tents, rousing the soldiers inside instantly.

Ariadne Fyrian
Jan 25th, 2009, 01:30:09 PM
She'd not gotten far before hearing Mako's roar, and it caused her to break into a sprint for the furthest edge of the small camp.

"Ariadne!"

Glasswater's deep voice reached her ears, and she breathed a sigh of relief as she caught sight of him. He sat atop his powerful gelding, the animal dancing in place with anticipation at what was to come.

Erifa too waited, holding the reigns of Fyrian's grey mare. Weeta had been carefully placed in the saddle, and by the bulge in one of the saddlebags she knew that the Lantern was safely tucked inside. Swinging up into the saddle, the Glaucan woman wheeled the horse about.

"Ha'lainn Inniu," she ordered her navigator.

A nod, and he let his mount surge forward, leaving the Necian camp behind as he headed westward.

Making sure that Weeta was secured in front of her, Ariadne steeled herself for the ride that was to come. It would be long, but time was now of the essence.

"Let's go."

It was all that Erifa needed, and she hissed at the chestnut she sat upon, and both Glaucan's headed north at a wild gallop.