PDA

View Full Version : Leveling up!

Blind Molly
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:27:16 PM
I say after we all level up from the fight with Moreth, that we start a new Myth thread. :D

I plan to sink my XP into something that will be worth something in a fight! Or perhaps defense... :uhoh

Calleh
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:55:23 PM
I call dibs on magic gear! :D

Our party still needs a tank. I nominate Denix.

Cailean MacGabhann
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:46:25 AM
I still need a weapon... I hope he drops a bow :uhoh

Blind Molly
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:52:42 AM
*gasp* you mean you don't know how to make one? I thought all Fian knew that.

Calleh
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:56:27 AM
There'll be weapons aplenty to choose from soon. ;)

Moreth
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:26:01 AM
I've left the party in a rather tricky place, but I think we could start a new thread with their escape from the Steelwood. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:52:13 PM
Ze ded ze ded zey leeeve!

:eek

I'm all for a new thread. Should we dial up the Scribe of Ages?

The Scribe of Ages
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:01:08 PM
*glances up, as he dips pen in inkwell*

Hmm?

Dragon
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:08:10 PM
Have you been doodling in the margins again?

EDIT: Psst, any chance of introducing Boreas as the Big Bad for Act II? ;)

The Scribe of Ages
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:36:45 PM
I seem to have, ahem, misplaced the notes I made on Boreas... let's see what I can remember about that archfiend...

Blind Molly
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:37:44 PM
Don't tip over your ink pot in your haste, Scribe. ;)

The Scribe of Ages
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:19:47 PM
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18473

Chapter Two!

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:20:51 PM
wooohooo! :crack

The Scribe of Ages
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:26:21 PM
The title is a reference to a similar moment in Lord of the Rings (at least in the movie), where Arwen rides to out-run the Ringwraiths :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jYUrCZnpbK4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jYUrCZnpbK4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boreas
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:49:00 PM
Run, run as fast as you can... >D

Cailean MacGabhann
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:03:07 AM
:uhoh oh lordy

Blind Molly
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:42:58 PM
Incidentally I have a new character I've been thinking about bringing into the story. Perhaps we should start a new storyline with a few of the people who are trying to get into the story... and have them meet up with our others after we escape the Steelwood?

I'm thinking Eastern coast is where my character is at. I need to add a few places to the map. I'm thinking of playing a Mer, which is why I need to start out at the coast.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:07:21 PM
Ohh, goodie. I've been wanting to play a Glaucan, so the coast would suit me fine.

Weeta
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:24:27 PM
I picked the East coast because the Necian league is on the west coast so it evens the action out a bit.

I'm thinking that there is a mystic power nexus somewhere in the ocean where the Mer visit it, and they've noticed the problem. Perhaps the secong group doesn't meet up with the first one until further down the road, like when the first group has to go to the Cos Briste mountains, or into Nuskar... the land of ze dead. Or, the underworld. *gulp*

Csephion Draxus
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:00:30 PM
Necian league is on the east coast :huh

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:43:50 PM
Ok west coast then. O_o I'm backwards

Csephion Draxus
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:17:16 PM
It's up to you, but since we've got a secondary arc already on the east coast, did you want to get involved in that? If not, its cool as well :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:33:19 PM
I don't know anything about it and I'd rather join up with Dani's character if she's still wanting to begin :) Your eastern thing seems rather insular.

Csephion Draxus
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:45:31 PM
Well I'm trying to not make it insular

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:13:54 AM
Okay so how would a wayfaring Mer meet up with your guys and how would that work into the quest as a whole?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:41:30 AM
Also my Glaucan! (could be one of Fyrian's men? or at least mistaken for having been one of them...)

Calleh
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:24:23 PM
According to the map (http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/silancy/midguard-color3.jpg), Necia doesn't cover the entirety of the east coast. The area south of Tirgatia looks wide open for Mer settlements.

I'm excited to see new characters! Bring 'em on! :)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:41:56 PM
Yeah... stick some Mer stuff down to the southeast of Verbannen. That way, you'll be near Ha'lainn Inniu, where the Fian are at! (I think Dani's char is there!)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:05:46 PM
Ok that works. :p

The west coast really doesn't look suitable for what I wanted anyway, a sun-drenched cliff dropping straight into the ocean. :)

Weeta
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:56:53 PM
*does a little dance?* :dance

Parsideon Denix
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:01:49 PM
Good, this way we can possibly have three arcs, maybe converging into one place at some point?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:58:51 PM
I thought you wanted my second character to be a part of what you already have going on in Necia?

Aran Solan
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:38:28 AM
Is this a fan-made role play, or is it based on a fantasy setting? I would be interested in applying with a character, though I would need to know if there were creative options, or set races/species...

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 11th, 2008, 09:51:16 AM
http://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php?title=Myth <-- all the info we have on it. We pretty much made it up ourselves. If there's something you want to add to it just run it by the other participants first! :)

Calleh
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:50:42 PM
Speaking of which, I really need to add some info on Ankaa... ^_^;

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:19:24 PM
Ankaa = hyr be dragyns

Charley
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:41:00 PM
I thought you wanted my second character to be a part of what you already have going on in Necia?

This is equally acceptible. Like I said, whichever you feel most comfy with :)

Speaking of which, I really need to add some info on Ankaa... ^_^;

derka derk muhammad ali jihad

Ediremos
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:35:16 AM
I would like to work on another race, the Syldar, who are a elven in appearance (with sharp, alien features such as high cheekbones, slender faces, pale skin, white/blonde hair and golden eyes). They would be ideally located near Jarnvid and have established their Kingdom on the borders of the ironwood - where they impede the creatures of the forest from entering into the lands beyond.

They could be considered a beautiful people (when young), however with age their skin is marred by natural scars that form across their foreheads and chins; they also have a horizontal scar across both cheeks and nose, but these disfigurements don't begin to develop until their second century of life – where the average lifespan of a Syldar is almost one-thousand years:

As a people, the Syldar are mainly philosophers and historians. Few who know of their ways see them as creatures that are filled with bloodlust, a fear conceived from the Syldar's appearance as a whole. However, in truth they are an honorable, proud race who simply protect their land from all who would dare attempt to take it. As such, they have developed a very controlled, almost honor-bound community, where individuals are assessed at birth and placed into a specific social caste.

There are four castes in the Syldar kingdom, with all holding specific, honorable social station:

- The Keepers: Those who are dedicated to conserving and maintaining constant recordings of time. By discovering secrets, uncovering the past, glimpsing the future and recording it in their ever expanding tome library, few other races have gathered and kept as complete a history of the land and its people as the Syldar; knowledge, as they say, is power.

Those of the Keeper caste have developed a magical gift to see into both the future with premonitions, and the past.

- The Warrior: Born into battle, trained in the use of the Syldar weapon of choice, the Qian, which is a deadly spear that can alter in staff length through magical enhancement. Taught the tactics and harsh lessons of close quarter combat, the warriors of the Syldar are considered highly skilled martial artists. They are both deadly and silent, their bodies trained to physical peak, while their home in the forest has taught them to be quick footed and soundless; what the Syldar lack in physical strength, they make up for with impressive agility and precision.

Those of the Warrior caste can be considered the epitome of physical agility and speed.

- The Maga: Those dedicated to the study of the Syldar magic, those of Wind and Fire. The Maga meditate and give their lives to the understanding and use of magic, often discovering new aspects of their given school of magic through working in conjunction with the Keepers. While not the strongest of mages in the land, the Maga are known for their defensive tactics when dealing with otherworldly creatures.

Those of the Maga caste are gifted with a profound sense for magic; they can both sense and absorb the mystical energy around them.

- The Royal: Those born of the royal bloodline of the First, King Belareyl. These are the kings, queens, princes and princesses of the kingdom, those who are charged with maintaining order and control, keeping the laws of the Syldar and performing the ritual of selection to the newborn. Only the Royal caste may ever decide the path of a Syldar, and that decision remains final. There remain four royals at all times, and those that are born of the bloodline are placed into a specific caste until such time as they are required to take the position truly reserved for them; as such, all royals have become well-versed in specific aspects of the Syldar community, whether as keepers, warriors or maga.

Those of the Royal caste are gifted with extended life, due to the strong bloodline of the First that flows in their veins. Where most Sylvar live for around one-thousand years, a royal may live to up to five hundred more; given they are no taken by illness or injury.

All Syldar are selected at birth, and all Syldar are placed into a caste. Those that are not, are exiled and never allowed to return – as such is the ways of the Syldar.

They aren't immortal, aren't immune to death, and have all the typical weaknesses of any (human) being, save they age slower and have an extended lifespan.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:28:20 AM
Hmm interesting. Perhaps they are related to the Fian in some way?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:48:10 AM
Trow are also kind of elvish in appearance, but it seems more likely that they would be related to the Fian (since they were the first race to populate the world)

Calleh
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:11:19 PM
The Trow are believed to be a sub-species of the Men of Midgard. According to Dalriadan myth, the Trow species began with the banishment of Prince Hugo from Dalriada. Hugo was the eldest son of the legendary King Mergovas, who sought to usurp the throne of the newly founded Bai-Ulgan for himself. As punishment for his treasonous actions, the Gods of Midgard condemned Hugo to spend eternity in darkness, never again to set foot on the holy land of Dalriada.

If the Trow are an offshoot of Man, it does seem to me the Syldar could be an offshoot of the Fian...

Unless that was exactly what you were saying and I misread your syntax?

Speaking of which, we need to run into the Trow at some point. Sounds like Wormtongue would be a good image for one, unless they're supposed to be more deformed and brutish instead of just slimy? I wasn't quite sure about that.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:21:05 PM
Here's my thoughts on the Mer, or at least, the plot regarding the Mer in this quest storyline.

The Mer have a holy place out from the coast of Asga, in a coral reef. The Bowl (its bowl shaped and Mer are pretty simple when it comes to naming things) is a nexus of Water magic. Its also well known to the Glaucans, but they pretty much let the Mer mages do their thing with the Bowl.

Unfortunately the magical disturbances that are... disturbing... Midgard are not limited to the nexus points on land. A large and strong whirlpool has opened up above the Bowl, sending the Mer into a state of panic as the Water elemental magic waxes and wanes in the area. They cast lots, and send out representatives to the Fian, to seek help or to find out what they can do to settle the Bowl back to normal.

Weeta is, of course, chosen to go, along with another Mer.

I plan on going out and finding Gy'lanna (ack spelling) and then when we head back to the coast we can run into some Glaucans, like Fyrian. Jenny your Glaucan can come along with the Mer from the get-go, or..?

Ediremos
Sep 12th, 2008, 08:13:32 PM
I'd be happy making the Syldar connected to the Fian in some manner, though I could also see the Fian being descended from the Syldar - as the Syldar have retained their longer lifespans, whereas the Fian (as far as I can tell) look Elven in appearance (with their ears), with no additional years to live?

I'm not overly fussed, but if we could work it out, then I'm sure the Keepers would appreciate the update to their tomes. ;)

Also, speaking of which, I had an idea that would allow Ediremos to join the fun:

Namely, he was sent out to scout the undead rumored to be in the (group's) area, so that he could take notes of the event and return so the Keeper's could update their history books.

In the process, he becomes involved with the group, and once he is warned of the danger crossing the land, decides to join them so he can take notes on the (more interesting, and more important) historical event happening; the undead seem to be the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

If that's workable, I can begin creating Ediremos' background and information.

But as to the Syldar and Fian, I'm happy going either way, yet the Syldar having longer life would indicate they would be more suited for establishing a sub-species. I'm content to let the game members decide.

Qadir Uthman Khel
Sep 12th, 2008, 08:44:00 PM
What is the relationship between the Syldar and the Larcus Brotherhood? The Jarnvid is a crowded little wood :)

Ediremos
Sep 12th, 2008, 09:15:30 PM
We went with the Syldar being located in the far west, north-west of the Hadar Wastelands, living within the three forests on the arm coming out of the main portion of land.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 13th, 2008, 06:53:17 PM
I think it's okay for the Syldar to be the ancestors of the Fian, its just that we'd already established that the Fian were the oldest race in Midgard. It hasn't been RPed as such, just written in the wiki.

Ediremos
Sep 14th, 2008, 03:00:30 AM
The Fian are considered one of the oldest races, because they came from the Syldar - even if they have changed in name, their beginnings remain the same... so it still works.

Also, I've added additional information to the Syldar social castes, making a total of five (instead of four): There are five castes in the Syldar kingdom, with all holding specific, honorable social station: The Keepers, the Warriors, the Maga, the Societal, and the Sovereigns.

The Societal are effectively farmers, builders, hunters, cloth-weavers; basically anything else not covered with the other four castes - and all Syldar placed into the Societal caste are able to decide their profession (so one could be a hunter, another a tracker, another a butcher, another a cook, etc, etc).

This is to limit the amount of Syldar in any of the previous four castes, and so we don't get bloated numbers - such as 500,000 Maga.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2008, 05:45:59 AM
No, the Fian really are the oldest race. They have changed and developed over time, but they are still the oldest race.

The Syldar can be some off-shoot of the Fian.

Captain Untouchable
Sep 14th, 2008, 06:36:47 AM
I'm a little confused. >_< The thread is called "leveling up" - is there actually some number-based / levels component to this, or am I missing out on an in-phrase?

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 14th, 2008, 07:00:02 AM
It was just a joke, since we had finished one part of the story, including defeat a bad guy (i.e. mini boss).

Ediremos
Sep 14th, 2008, 07:44:44 AM
No, the Fian really are the oldest race. They have changed and developed over time, but they are still the oldest race.

The Syldar can be some off-shoot of the Fian.

Come to think of it, I think I'll just make the Syldar their own race - it's simpler, everyone can agree, and we don't have to waste time deciding who did what and who left where.

In a nutshell: The Syldar arrived in Midgard sometime after the Fian settled or were created, seeking to establish a new homeland for whatever reason, and they've controlled the hub where Aureska is located since that time. They've made no grabs at more territory, and have kept mostly to themselves - save when the Keepers seek knowledge about other races and/or events beyond their borders.

The Syldar could have arrived from their previous little rock 100 years after the Fian, 2,000 years after - I don't mind.

Background ala presto.

Captain Untouchable
Sep 15th, 2008, 08:28:45 PM
Ah, fair enough. I'm used to doing tabletop RPing - wondered if I'd stumbled across Fans' own personal D&D club or something!

Any space for a newbie? I'd like to be a "Ranger" type character - the out in the wilderness, surviving on his own for the most part sort of guy. Magic-wise, I'm thinkin' Fire and Air, since that's the only Air combo that no one has yet. ;)

I'm toying with the idea of being either a member or former member of the Peltastos Auxilia from the Necian Alliance - a sort of scout/skirmisher type. Maybe someone who went out into the wilderness to get away from it all. I assume Parsideon Denix would be the guy to talk to about that?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 15th, 2008, 09:48:36 PM
yes he is :)

Csephion Draxus
Sep 15th, 2008, 09:53:51 PM
(Denix here)

Sounds good to me :) Auxilia would be drawn from allied states so its entirely possible for him to go native in that sense.

Mandan Hidatsa
Sep 16th, 2008, 02:45:46 PM
Okay - set up an account for my Ranger guy.

How would service in the Auxilia work? Is there likely to be a minimum commitment, or would he be recruited on an as-needed basis? Would he join voluntarily, or would he have been conscripted? As a non-citizen, are there any benefits to having served in the Auxilia - does service lead to some kind of citizen status for foreigners?

Csephion Draxus
Sep 16th, 2008, 07:04:30 PM
The Auxilia is basically made up of able-bodied men in the League's allied states, usually of poorer stock. Non-slaves in the allied states have the option of either paying tax to Demos, or serving the Auxilia. Benefits are that those who serve keep a portion of the spoils taken from conquered enemies (riches, slaves, tangibles, etc) and eventually, service guarantees citizenship (hello Heinlein!)

Mandan Hidatsa
Sep 17th, 2008, 12:50:16 PM
In that case, would he be constantly in service to the Auxilia, or would it be only for a certain period of time? Would it be a case of serving for a minimum of three years and then everything is fine? Would he have to serve for six months out of every year? Or would he be called up on a campaign-by-campaign basis? I'm trying to work out whether he'd need to be a former Auxilia person, or just one who's between service periods.

Also, what sort of age would someone start serving in the military? 14? 16? 18? Would it be the same age in the Auxilia, or would scouts and skirmishers be younger (because they don't need to be as physically strong)?

Csephion Draxus
Sep 18th, 2008, 06:09:21 PM
Auxilia would be sort of like the army reserves. They're not full-time soldiers really, and they do whatever they do for a profession until a Satrap calls a levy for troops, usually in preparation for a conquest, and rarely for instances of defense.

Mandan Hidatsa
Sep 18th, 2008, 06:35:17 PM
That suits me perfectly, then. :)

I've added a bio for Mandan to the wiki (http://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mandan_Hidatsa) - let me know if any of it seems dumb.

Now I have my character, how should I go about introducing them? Can I jump in with one of the active threads, or am I better off trying to arrange some backstory stuff on my own first?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 18th, 2008, 10:37:21 PM
You can jump into any of the active threads.

Ediremos
Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:59:43 AM
I've approached Mandan, so that we can work together on introducing both our characters, if that's alright.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 26th, 2008, 03:58:04 PM
In the interests of keeping the Myth story going... Molly, Calleh and Denix all have permission to NPC Cailean.